Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Walking on Memphis? KU basketball aims for another triumph over upstart Tigers Tuesday night

Kansas forward Marcus Morris claps his hands as the buzzer sounds on the Jayhawks' 57-55 win over Memphis, Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2009 at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis.

Past Event

KU vs. Memphis

• Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 6 p.m.
  • Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
  • All ages

— Marcus Morris hoped for the best, but definitely feared the worst, as Memphis lefty sharpshooter Elliot Williams launched a possible game-winning three-point shot with two seconds left in the 2009 Hall of Fame Showcase in St. Louis Scottrade Center.

“I was actually guarding him. When he shot it, I was like, ‘Wow,’’’ Morris, Kansas University’s junior guard from Philadelphia, recalled a year after the fact. “We were up two, and he took a three. I’m like, ‘He’s got some heart to take a three.’ I was just happy he didn’t make it.”

Williams’ shot, taken fairly close to the spot KU’s Mario Chalmers made famous against Memphis in the 2008 NCAA championship game, was dead-on. But it banged off the rim in Game Two of the 2009-10 season as the No. 1-ranked Jayhawks survived the unranked Tigers, 57-55.

“I thought he was going to make it when it left his hand,” Morris said. “I was scared.”

So was KU’s defensive stopper, Brady Morningstar, who was back in Lawrence serving a suspension, not guarding Williams on the deep three.

“I was watching on TV. I was (worried) a little bit, for sure,” Morningstar said. “That was a good game. I’m excited to play these guys.”

KU and Memphis meet again —amid much more hype than a year ago — at today’s Jimmy V. Classic. Tipoff for the matchup between the No. 4 Jayhawks (7-0) and No. 13 Tigers (7-0) is 6 p.m. at Madison Square Garden, with a live telecast on ESPN (cable channels 33, 233).

“It’s going to be fast-paced, up and down, kind of like when we play Missouri. That’s what they play like. It’s going to be up-tempo,” Morningstar said.

Coach Josh Pastner’s second Memphis team — which, by the way, is without Williams, who turned pro after his sophomore season and is on the injured list of the Portland Trail Blazers — has won six games at home and also defeated LSU (71-60) in Tupelo, Miss.

The home wins came against Western Kentucky (77-61), Arkansas State (78-71, OT), Tennessee-Martin (102-80), Northwestern State (94-79), Miami, Fla. (72-68) and Centenary (104-40).

The Tigers are led by Wesley Witherspoon, a 6-9 junior from Atlanta who averages 14.8 points and 4.8 rebounds per game. He had four points and two boards in 26 minutes in last year’s KU game, which of course, was a rematch of the 2008 national title game.

“He has to be really good all year long,” Pastner told Blue Ribbon Yearbook. “Expectations are high for him both internally from him and externally from the coaching staff.”

Witherspoon and guys like Charles Carmouche (6-3 junior, 7.6 ppg), Angel Garcia (6-11 junior, 7.0 ppg), Will Coleman (6-9 senior, 5.6 ppg) and D.J. Stephens (6-5 soph, 3.3 ppg) provide stability to a team which inherits some of the top freshmen in the land.

No. 11-rated prospect Will Barton, a 6-6 freshman from Baltimore and cousin of KU’s Josh Selby, averages 11.9 points and 3.7 boards a game. He has made 11 of 34 threes for 32.4 percent. His brother, unranked 6-2 freshman Antonio Barton, contributes 7.4 ppg.

No. 18-rated Joe Jackson, a 6-foot freshman from Memphis, averages 12.1 ppg. Other freshmen: No. 72 Chris Crawford, 6-4 from Memphis, who averages 8.0 ppg, and No. 54 Tarik Black, 6-8 from Memphis, who averages 6.9 ppg and 4.3, rpg.

Jelan Kendrick, a McDonald’s All-American and the country’s No. 15-rated player, was kicked off the team in mid-November.

“The really cool thing is we haven’t taken a major dip,” Pastner, 33, told Blue Ribbon. He took over a team decimated following the departure of John Calipari to Kentucky.

“We’re a Top 25 team, and to be back at that level that quickly is very hard to do. That's a credit to the fan base, to the city, to the university, to be able to do that, but the bottom line is you have to produce on the floor. We have a lot of good players who haven’t scored a single point in Div. I basketball, and they’ll be asked to produce all year long.”

KU coach Bill Self naturally considers this KU’s toughest test to date. The Jayhawks have defeated name teams in unranked Arizona (87-79) and UCLA (77-76).

“Our last two games have helped us in moving forward, I think,” Self said. “Certainly we’ll need to play better against Memphis on a neutral court.”

Twins take look back

The Morris twins, who signed with Memphis their senior years in high school before electing to attend prep school and reopen their recruitment, don’t remember catching much grief from Memphis fans last year in St. Louis when Kansas won, 57-55.

“A little bit, not much as I thought they would,” Marcus Morris said. “I think that’s because it was at an away place. If it was in Memphis, I think they’d have given me a lot of stuff.”

Noted Markieff Morris: “I don’t really remember,” he said of Tiger fan reaction. “I remember it was one of the fastest games I’ve ever played in, up and down.”

This, that

Kansas leads the all-time series against Memphis, 5-2, and has won the last three games. KU claimed the first matchup, 59-49, at Memphis in 1981, and the last three — 64-62 in the ECAC Holiday Festival in New York, during the 1987-88 campaign and the 75-68 overtime thriller in the 2008 national championship game in San Antonio. ... KU has played 10 teams from the current membership of Conference USA and is 59-15 against the field. ... Kansas is 0-2 in the Jimmy V. Classic. The Jayhawks fell to St. Joseph’s, 70-67, on Dec. 6, 2005, and to Temple, 75-66, in overtime in 1995. KU has lost its last four games played in Madison Square Garden.

Recruiting update

DeAndre Daniels, a 6-foot-8 senior forward from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., apparently had a good time on his official visit to Kansas University last weekend.

“I think the coaching staff at Kansas made a very favorable impression on DeAndre during his visit, so I think he is strongly considering them,” Daniels’ AAU coach, Dinos Trigonis, told Rivals.com.

Daniels headed to Oregon for an official visit at the conclusion of the Thursday-Saturday KU trip. He also is considering Texas, Florida, UCLA and Kentucky. At one point, he was orally committed to Texas.

Daniels is Rivals.com’s No. 9-rated player.

Comments

kesmithstl1 10 years, 10 months ago

Hawks take Manhattan! I think this team will favor a fast paced game anyday! KU doesn't have certain personnel slowing them down this year. Rock Chalk!

Alohahawk 10 years, 10 months ago

I think the game will hinge on two things: If we make a respectable percentage of our freethrows (70% +), and we break even or do better from the three point line, KU wins. Both teams match up pretty well per season's stats - Memphis to KU: speedwise (KU slight edge), rebounding (41 to 38), steals (11 to 9), turnovers (16 to 12), 3 pointers (33% to 40%), freethrows (Forget, but ? 78% to 63%), and points per game (85 to 90). KU may have the edge when it comes to competition so far this season. Thanks Arizona and UCLA. If it's a close game, we can thank UCLA for the experience. Hopefully, we take care of the ball and not turn it over. Memphis' starting five have 61 steals in 7 games. Memphis last game had 2 foul out, 1 with four fouls and 2 with three. May be foul prone. Hit the paint Hawks. Markieff and Thomas - set a goal of 10+ rebounds each. Point guards - minimum of 1 rebound, off guards and forwards minimum of 2 each.

RCJH - KU by seven. If history holds, the game will be in the 60's.

clevelandjayhawker 10 years, 10 months ago

Please guys....This in not an audition for the NBA....You can shoot a 3 from the college line. Just becasue the line for the NBA is there you don't have to go behind it!!!

Joe Ross 10 years, 10 months ago

I hope KU doesn't have a lull in their play like usual. This Memphis team IS capable of beating us so it is important that we play well. I certainly don't think Memphis is better, but neither was ORU, or Butler, or Northern Iowa, or Bradley, or UTEP, or...

PLAY HARD!

champion 10 years, 10 months ago

Memphis has the tools to take this one. They're long and athletic; they're gonna crowd the lane and force us to shoot...and that young coach of theirs is an amazing in-game coach. KU better play A+ basketball, hit 3's, and free throws or else Memphis will take the headlines. This might be one for Travis to get the minutes...I don't think Brady's quick enough or long enough to be effective..plus his shot hasn't been fall'n...unless he's try'n to throw an ally-oop.

Michael Pannacciulli 10 years, 10 months ago

I can't wait to get to the Garden tonight. I expect a smart game being played tonight. Athletically they pose a problem. Execution, and hitting free throws will be big. I expect a very pro-KU crowd (and heavy 'Cuse contingency for the following game).

Too early to predict where Daniels is going but I hope to hear regular updates LJW on this kid.

RCJH!!!

REHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

I would imagine that Bill Self shudders when he reads titles of some of these LJW basketball articles.

MemphisMachine 10 years, 10 months ago

Will the game be in the 60's, 70's, or 80's...hummm. I'll make all the difference in the world. Oh Kesmith that comment was rude of you call (Cole out by name) dood gave alot to the program...see ya' out 7 eastern folks. For the track meet will be a dandy.

Brianna Zaleski 10 years, 10 months ago

Wow, you sound really educated. Did you go to the University of Memphis? You should audition for that show 'The First 48'. You sound like a lot of the people highlighted in that show. Doesn't it take place in Memphis?

Jack Wilson 10 years, 10 months ago

Not really understanding why you have to attack the guy. Seems like a good Memphis fan to me.

Brianna Zaleski 10 years, 10 months ago

You are right, I stand corrected. I went back and read some of his past posts and he does seem like a genuine poster who in not just trying to troll. So for the record, I'm sorry if I insulted you MM. But I hope your team loses tonight!

Ron Franklin 10 years, 10 months ago

I appreciate Board Rats who talk basketball, and not just run their mouths.

Memphis Machine is way better than......

KY_Cats and KSA_Molestarme

It's okay to be classy, ya know.

Ron Franklin 10 years, 10 months ago

GO into his profile and read his comments.

They are much more positive than many of our "Own" Jayhawks' comments.

kesmithstl1 10 years, 10 months ago

I didn't call out Cole by name. Maybe I was talking about Chase Buford? While on the topic though, Cole wasn't the fastest.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 10 months ago

The ranking of #13 for Memphis is obviously based on recruiting, not true body of work related. Look at those wins listed for them. Yes, they have physical, athletic players at most positions and on the bench. However, this is still very early in the season and they are still trying to gel as a team. We, by contrast, appear to be more of a team than a collection of players. Difference: coaching by a 33 yr. old second year head coach vs. a veteran, motivator who has been challenged to fulfill the reputation year after year of the legacy of Kansas basketball. Pastner has been challenged to erase the stigma of Calipari and brand the program as his own.

DevilHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Based on statistics: KU, #1 Memphis, #29 (KenPom rankings)

Jeremy LeMaster 10 years, 10 months ago

Granted the statistics say something, but a lot of teams that may have worse statistics may have played better competition. Arizona and UCLA were by no means bad teams but the rest of our competition was lacking. This early in the season basing rankings off of statistics is a little silly because of the small sampling size. Now, I have no clue who Memphis has played and was not saying that either ranking was incorrect. However, our rankings were based on having some returning talent and recruiting in addition to not losing so far in the season. If our statistics were terrible I doubt we would have dropped much if any. For this reason, pre-season rankings are a joke and real rankings should not come out until a few games (at the very least) into the season. Then again, rankings really do not mean anything in College Basketball except for the major networks to market big headline games so we (myself included) are silly for arguing about the validity of current rankings.

KU_FanSince75 10 years, 10 months ago

It should be a fast-paced game---looking to see it happen!

"Jelan Kendrick, a McDonald's All-American and country's 15-rated player, was kicked off the team in mid-November."

Wow---how does a McDonald's All-American get kicked off the team? Unless he was just a "bad boy!" Unbelievable!

"KU has lost its last four games in MSG."

That has to change and it begins with tonight's game. I see this game has the potential for a lot of trash talking---I hope the Jayhawks, especially the twins and T-Rob make smart decisions with not engaging in such activity.

Good luck tonight, Jayhawks! Take Manhattan before the Kitty Kats do!

Rock Chalk!

MemphisMachine 10 years, 10 months ago

I live in Las Vegas sir, we do have fans all over the country. Also if I'm not mistaken you guys haven't played a ranked team either. Barely got by UCLA, who got whooped by.....

Jack Wilson 10 years, 10 months ago

We will both get to play a ranked team tonight. Good luck .. a loss by either team isn't a big deal at this point in the season. It is interesting that the Memphis-KU game last season exposed some of our weaknesses, that in the end, came back to bite us vs. UNI.

Selbyville 10 years, 10 months ago

Yea, this is a good opportunity for both teams to make a statement win, and one at Madison Square no less.. Memphis has some athletes. And it's good to see that they've survived the blow that was brought upon them by a John Calipari...

I expect Kansas to have the poise to pull off a squeaker. A game much similar to the UCLA matchup

Rock Chalk

milehighhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Have fun on the site today, since we won't be seeing you tomorrow, MemphisMachine!

Brian Powell 10 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, they're undefeated but mostly at home, mostly vs. mediocre teams. We haven't played ranked teams, sure, but check out kenpom.com sometime....

I'm more concerned with getting a win at MSG!

Robert Brock 10 years, 10 months ago

FWIW, DeAndre Daniels is rated #35 by Scout.com on their updated rankings. One spot behind someone named McLemore...

KU_FanSince75 10 years, 10 months ago

MemphisMachine----Please spare me!!!! Give it a rest!

Ben Simonett 10 years, 10 months ago

I have a strong feeling Memphis is going to win this game tonight. Ive seen nothing in the Arizona and UCLA games to make me think we are capable of outplaying a team of this caliber.

you know what they say one game is a coincidence, two games is a trend.

and que all the homers flaming me for not seeing the world through crimson and blue glasses......3....2....1....

DevilHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Possibly, but Self treated the last game as a loss, and we have a lot to learn from the Arizona and UCLA games.

hawk_of_ages 10 years, 10 months ago

"one game is a coincidence, two games is a trend."

What's the trend? That we're beating quality teams?

By comparison, look who Memphis has played. They had to go to OT to beat Arkansas State.

Theutus 10 years, 10 months ago

Honestly I think we have a loss coming sooner rather than later.... We've been playing terrible, our bigs haven't shown that they can play against a quality center...

Our outside shooting has been less than stellar, and our offense is inconsistent to say the least...

I think we have a lot of potential, but we haven't been putting it together. Because of that, yeah, i think we could lose tonight very easily. We'll see how our guys look tonight, I sure hope they come out with some intensity and determination. Until they change something, we are just rolling the dice each game... We've lucked out twice now, but it'll bite us in the ace if we keep it up. Just my opinion.

hawk_of_ages 10 years, 10 months ago

I share in some of your concerns, but it's overblown to say we've been playing "terrible" and our bigs can't compete against quality big men. I mean, we won both of those games; against Arizona we won convincingly, against UCLA we had both good luck and bad luck down the stretch, and the twins made big plays both times.

Also, Kansas leads the nation in FG percentage. That is not the mark of a team playing "terrible."

Theutus 10 years, 10 months ago

I guess we are looking at it from two different perspectives... I say we are playing terrible based on our potential. Not on whether or not we beat a couple of teams.. Or even if our shot percentage is high.

Basically, i see the potential to be utterly dominant, but right now we could be beat by a nobody unranked opponent. Sometimes we show up to play, other times (for long spurts) we can't do anything right, including shoot, rebound, run offense, etc.

I'm sure Self will make adjustments, and I sure hope that threat of a loss at home really put some fire in the the hearts of the players...

Jeremy LeMaster 10 years, 10 months ago

There looks like a slight error when talking about the heads up matches. We are 5-2 against memphis.... we won the first one and the last three. There is either one missing or the record is wrong. Can you provide the outcomes/info for the losses as well?

100 10 years, 10 months ago

As many of us recall, after Ted Owens took off there was a rebirth of the feel (heart & soul to go along with constant dominating play with fantastic recruits) of Phog Allen-led Kansas basketball. The personel was different. We didn't have Wilt. We had Danny. And we didn't have Phog. We had Larry.

But if I recall correctly the MSU game in approximately 1983 at Allen Fieldhouse was a pretty big "welcome back to the bigtime for us (MSU, Memphis, was called Memphis State back then).

At any rate I don't recall if we had Danny yet in this particular game, because honestly now that nearly 30 years have passed, i really remember the teamwork & atmosphere, not so much us having a certifiable all star again. But Memphis State came into Allen ranked #2 (or 4 I can't recall) on a sunny Saturday afternoon & we showed our true colors & I really believe we haven't looked back since.

We only won by a few, but the spirit of the team, Larry & Bob Hill along with the Fieldhouse really just put a stamp on our resurgence.

As I recall Ron Kellogg went off & Calvin Thompson was hitting a bunch of his patented 17 foot bank shots & a couple of his trademark two hand tomahawk dunks, trying to rip our backboard apart (to this day a feat I believe only Alonso Jamison has done at the Fieldhouse with spectators watching, of course that was late night, not a game).

Back to the MSU game. Spirits soared & we were suddenly ranked pretty high, quite a breath of fresh air considering we were about a year or two removed from Owens last year, a losing season that shook our fanbase for the last time.

100 10 years, 10 months ago

Also nearly positive this was Larry's first year which would have meant Danny wasn't part of the team yet. But I can recall in Allen where they ran practices open back then, during Larry's first year, John Calipari was still a graduate assistant after having done that for Ted Owens for a year.

Even though much of his work was licking envelopes, Calipari took a big interest after practice in helping Carl Henry to become a much better player.

He would pass & pass & pass for Carl while Carl took an untold number of jumpshots. His intensity was incredible.

The irony here is Carl too would have been on this team that took down the future team of Calipari, the same Memphis team that temporarily had lured his two sons away from Kansas.

Ironically, after Calipari left Memphis in 2009 after being dunked on by Missouri in his last game as a Tiger, Calipari's first Kentucky WideCats were one shooting guard short of a national championship. He needed Xavier Henry.... And he had to have him... At all costs....

He tried to stir up Internet rumors. He tried to affect radio stations callers. He tried to get Kansas fans mad at each other over Xavier Henry... He tried to get Kentucky fans claiming Carl's son was coming....

But he forgot to factor in Danny Manning & coach Self who drove overnight to stop the Calipari rumormill.

And in the process, all that love Calipari showed Carl in 1982 & '83 was turned against him... X & CJ weren't going to give Calipari a national championship after he showed his true colors by leaving Memphis!

No way....

All that recruiting for a John Calipari elite 8 loss in 2010 started way back in 1983 trying to get Carl prepared to take down Memphis State & the rest of the nation.

Kansas basketball was back, and yes, partially thanks to the extra hours in the gym of the future devil child of the NCAA, a young pimple faced John Calipari working with our semi-star, Carl Henry!!!!!

100 10 years, 10 months ago

So good to hear from you. Really excited to hear about your prom date for next year's prom. We're all behind you & support you in your attempt to land one good enough to write home to your mom about.

If you need further reference about how to take care your girl at next year's prom just check yesterday's poster comments in the "Kansas Lands Texas Defensive End" article...

67coronet 10 years, 10 months ago

Been a KU fan for many years. When KU loses, it usually a combination of terrible free throw shooting and foul trouble with the big men. If they cannot hit their free throws tonight and either of the Morris twins spend a lot of time on bench, could be a long night for Jayhawks. Hope they learned something from the game against UCLA.

slowplay 10 years, 10 months ago

If KU can make it there They'll make it anywhere. It's up to you, New York, New York.

WilburNether 10 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the humor! I laugh my tail off every time I see Brady Morningstar called a "defensive stopper."

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 10 months ago

Then Bill Self must keep you in stitches not to mention tail-less.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 10 months ago

Just an isolated incident ... but who was that Kansas player backing off the hottest UCLA three point shooter on the court with seven seconds left with a three point KU lead??.....that would be Brady Morningstar, defensive stupor..er, I mean stopper.

JayDocMD 10 years, 10 months ago

no excuses, but with the 2 ridiculous 4 point plays called earlier in the game, I would have been afraid to play it too tight. We all know these refs weren't afraid to blow the whistle at the end of the game...

hawk_of_ages 10 years, 10 months ago

We've continued to be one of the top, if not the top, defensive team in the country during the two years that Brady has been deployed as our "stopper." That evidence bears a lot more weight than one guy from UCLA going off in one early-season game.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 10 months ago

Just trying to make a point, because of Cole and the Twins the last two years our interior defense was astounding, however, our three point defense has been pedestrian at best. The total defense averaged together was great, thus somewhat covering up our trifecta weakness.

Ron Franklin 10 years, 10 months ago

Your gonna use one instance in the game that Brady went low, instead of high and say he is a failure for entire act?

Heaven forbid he makes a mistake or two.

When I rewatched the tape I thought the same thing JayDoc did.

Plus, going low would not have been a problem if Releford would have made the switch and UCLA wasn't using a moving screen on Brady to make space for T.H.

KU_FanSince75 10 years, 10 months ago

I am waiting for Stupidmichael to say, "I'm very scared." I maybe jumped the gun on that one.

Michael Luby 10 years, 10 months ago

Yeah me too. Btw, where is Stupidmichael anyways? Havent seen his posts on here all season.

92Jhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

If KU plays up to it's potential, this game should be a double digit win, regardless of what Memphis does. That being said, I really enjoy watching Pastner coached teams (I admit that his body of work is little more than one season). He's the kind of young coach who's going to attract big time talent and big time athletes because of his personality and up-tempo approach (of course he's going to have to continue to win and progress as well).

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of fire this team comes out with after the UCLA game...I'm sure Coach Self enjoyed the past several days of practice and the effort we see tonight is going to tell us a lot about what this team is made of.

Kurt Eskilson 10 years, 10 months ago

Then you're laughing at Coach Self, Wilbur. We can debate Brady's merits all thread long (and we often do) … but as long as Coach Self is playing Brady, I'm respecting him.

beware0fph0g 10 years, 10 months ago

Get ready for someone on the Tigers to have a career night, a-la Williams and Honeycutt. Is it going to be you, Witherspoon?

Vincent Patterson 10 years, 10 months ago

I don't know why Lady "is so excited to play these guys". If anyone is liable to get exposed tonight it's him! LOL Especially if Memphis is as athletic as advertised. Should be an exciting game to watch. I like these sorts of non-conference challenges this early in the year. Good chance to see just how good or bad we are, so looking forward to it. I think Boringstar seals his own fate tonight, as we get closer to the addition of Josh Selby to this team. Last thing I want to see is Self compromising Selby, EJ's, and Releford's minutes by still giving Lady all of those minutes! Like I have previously said, he has played "decent" at times defensively, but is a liability more than anything on the offensive end, especially when our better scorers are struggling and we need somebody to step up. Come on man, you are a starter! You gotta step up at some point with all those minutes you getting! If not "Go play intramurals brother, go play intramurals!" "IT"S DIVISION 1 BASKETBALL!"

Ron Franklin 10 years, 10 months ago

It is better to be an offensive liability than to be a defensive liability.

Go back and watch how Withey cost the Hawks 6 pts in a matter of 1 game-time minute against UCLA. Ya, Brady doesn't score much but he doesn't give up a lot either.

He is 6'3" and played man-up with a better player T. Honeycutt who is 5 inches taller....not many of Honeycutts points came on Brady's watch.

Complain about Brady all you want, but it does no good unless you have an alternative, and better option?

Who do you suggest gets his minutes right now? The parts that are interchangeable with Brady at this point in time may be more of an offensive threat, but their defensive mind lapses negate that.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 10 months ago

The bad news...based on the current high quality Kansas roster and the increasing likelihood of an NBA lockout, don't be surprised if we get no one else for 2011.

The good news..... with everybody staying, we'll still have one hell of a team.

The bad news.....so will everyone else.

The good news...we have Bill and Danny, and the rest don't.

The bad news...we lose four victories minimum with the departure of NU and CU.

The good news.....we'll have a slew of scholarships and mucho playing time for the special class of 2012!!!!

hawk_of_ages 10 years, 10 months ago

"While he is out, do we gain a big surge? Of course not."

Quite the contrary, in fact. This much-maligned starting lineup with Reed and Morningstar has gotten us off to great starts, which we have then blown late in the first half when the second unit comes in. Then it's up to ReedStar and the other starters to close the game out.

I like Releford, and if he or other players start to take Brady's minutes, I have no particular problem with that. Ultimately it could benefit the team. But I'm tired of these armchair coaches on this site who think they understand defense better than the best defensive coach in the nation.

You have it right, drgn. Brady was the least of our defensive problems in that game, as Self said.

Theutus 10 years, 10 months ago

I agree, Brady is doing a great job... I don't have anything against him at all...

That being said, i think he needs to start dropping some minutes so we can put some more offensive players in the game. When our offense is struggling (and it's been quite a bit last two games) we need someone in the game who can spark and create.. Brady (as much as I like him) is virtually non-existent on the offensive end of the court.

I think this entire problem is going to be resolved when Selby hits the floor. On another note, I still hope EJ gets some quality minutes to develop as well. EJ is a special talent, he just needs game-time to work out some kinks.

hawk_of_ages 10 years, 10 months ago

3 for 3 with 4 assists is a long way from "nonexistent" on offense. I don't see any offensive surge when Brady's out of the game -- quite the opposite, in fact.

Theutus 10 years, 10 months ago

When you are a guard, i don't care if you put the lowliest of walkons on the court, you are going to get assists... I mean, you just have to make a pass. Not special. Now if his passing was creating points, that's different... But it's not. His assists haven't been anything special.

3 for 3 was most likely all layups (that i can remember) I didn't realize a guy who made 3 layups against a sub-par defensive team in 32 minutes of gameplay was a big deal.... His saving grace was 3 steals... But he also made 3 turnovers.

Again, i'm not saying anything bad about Brady really (i think he's really crucial to the team actually), but he's not an offensive player by any means. He's probably one of our least capable scorers. As far as scoring picking up when he's out, correlation ≠ causation.

hawk_of_ages 10 years, 10 months ago

"i don't care if you put the lowliest of walkons on the court, you are going to get assists... I mean, you just have to make a pass. Not special."

This is a ludicrous statement. You can't really believe this.

I never claimed Brady was a great scorer. But this team has scorers -- we have the best offense in the country right now, as a matter of fact. So it's kind of ridiculous to say that Brady's hurting us just because he doesn't usually score double digits. That's not his role.

Theutus 10 years, 10 months ago

Actually I do. Assists can very easily be deceptive. You could come down the court, get a pass, make a pass (just around the perimeter) and them be credited with an assist... For doing virtually nothing.

It's a deceptive stat. Some people do a very job of "creating" buckets with their passes, Brady does this sometimes, but not often enough to really make much of a difference in my opinion... Most of his stat assists are off of just plain old "kick it around" type of passes.

And again, would you stop knee jerking like I'm somehow against Brady? If anything, i'm just against all the people that are saying he's so amazing, because really he isn't. You guys are every bit as bad as the ones calling for his head... Just on the other side of the coin.

hawk_of_ages 10 years, 10 months ago

Who said Brady's "amazing?" Literally no one has said that. You have on the one side people saying he's terrible and can't defend and needs to stay on the bench, and the rest of us are just saying, no, he's a solid role player who helps the team.

There's no equivalency between the two sides here -- one is reasonable and one is not. You're somewhere in the middle; you're not a hater, but some of your criticisms just don't make sense IMO.

As Self has said again and again, Brady is a good facilitator on offense -- good at ball reversal and at feeding the post. There is absolutely no basis for saying his assists are somehow flukes.

Robert Brock 10 years, 10 months ago

Agree. Team D is weak; that is why the Hawks lose tonight. Sad.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 10 months ago

If the criteria for good defense is to allow your man to score 33 points, then, yes, Brady is right up there with the all-time greats.

As frustrated as some of you who are tired of hearing posters critical of the Hawks on the site, I have become just as frustrated with you posters who, refuse to take off your Crimson and Blue glasses and recognize the elephant in the room.

This team does not as of yet play good defense against quality opponents....the middle is like a freeway, the three point line is a shooting gallery and maybe there's a reason we don't press fullcourt...maybe we suck at it for the moment.

There's room for improvement everywhere, and, quite frankly, I think the Hawks will do it, especially with the addition of Josh and his quickness.

Sorry for the reality check but, in spite of my concerns, I think the Hawks win tonight!!

Ron Franklin 10 years, 10 months ago

Oakville-

Go watch the tape. If you think 33 pts came on Brady, you are really mistaken.

Beyond that, if you think any defender could have handled Tyler Honeycutt any better, then please, tell me who?

He was too fast for any of our bigs, and too tall for any of our guards.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 10 months ago

Montana handled him pretty well...maybe we can trade for some of their defenders.

Dave Chance 10 years, 10 months ago

In the post-game interview, Coach said Brady gave up 12 of Honeycutt's 33.

bnet0000 10 years, 10 months ago

Dude that is way to much to write in one sitting, come one Man!! shorten it up..

Tony Bandle 10 years, 10 months ago

Hawk defense must improve, Brady tries hard, KU wins.

bnet0000 10 years, 10 months ago

What a comeback Brady Morningstar has made from his ordeal. He is bare to all who have made mistakes in life yet were able to succeed!!!!!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 10 months ago

Remember Pearl Harbor today...a lot of men gave their lives for their country 69 years ago.

NH_JHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

In my opinion, Brady's reputation (or lack there of) is defined by the fact that he had to replace Rush at the 3 after a NC season. People got used to Rush's stellar defense, size, and 3 ball shooting %. So naturally, when Brady's moment came to start, people downsized his abilities based on their comparisons to how Rush played at the same position. Let's face it, Rush is the ideal wing player and Brady just doesn't have the same appeal. This stigma has endured ever since.

I dont think anyone on this site actually believes Brady is the 2nd coming of Rush based on size, look, athleticism, or shooting %, but he also isn't as deficient as some like to believe either. Self has said many times that he assigns Brady to defend the other team's best player and there's a reason for that. Self knows what he is talking about. If you want to say that's "looking through crimson and blue colored glasses" then so be it.

At the end of the day Brady is Jayhawk. Even if you don't prefer that he plays the amount of minutes he does he still deserves your respect.

bnet0000 10 years, 10 months ago

Kareem Rush is in the NBA!! Brady Morningstar is still at the collegiate level, his reputation is stellar in my opinion... Coming back for a 5th year!!!

NH_JHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Proves my point. The reason Brady doesnt meausre up to some people is that he isnt going to the NBA like our former wingman.

Michael Luby 10 years, 10 months ago

Think you mean Brandon right? Kareem played for Missou

champion 10 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, Travis Releford is more like a "Rush" style player. If only we had him on the team, he could take Brady's minutes...wait, we do. Why is Bill Self all suck'n on Brady's D? And as for respect, Brady talks like he's from the hood...he's a rich white kid from Lawrence. And I know people that went to high school with him...he's an A-Hole. Oh yeah, DUI's are real respect worthy buddy...

NH_JHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Releford has a high ceiling (higher than Brady's no doubt) but he doesn't defend as well (yet). After you have a few more seasons of Self style basketball under your belt you'll eventually realize that Self demands solid D before you see solid minutes.

As for the DUI, a huge mistake no doubt. I just hope you never make a mistake like that. I fear you would lose all respect for yourself.

ZDKC 10 years, 10 months ago

The title of this article is a bit too cliche. Pretty lame