Originally published October 3, 2009 at 10:31a.m., updated October 4, 2009 at 12:59a.m.

KU’s Morningstar suspended

Jayhawk guard out for first semester after being arrested

KU's Brady Morningstar drives the lane against Texas Tech's Alan Voskuil on Wednesday, March 4, 2009 at United Spirit Arena in Lubbock, Texas.

KU’s Morningstar suspended

Kansas University junior basketball guard Brady Morningstar has been suspended for the first semester by coach Bill Self.

Self informed Morningstar of the penalty Saturday afternoon, several hours after Morningstar was arrested by the Kansas Highway Patrol on suspicion of driving while intoxicated.

“We are aware of the situation,” Self said. “We are also still fact finding. Regardless of the details that concern the reason for him being stopped, he broke team rules that have been much more stringent since last week (following fights between KU basketball and football players).

“Brady was in serious violation of curfew,” Self added of Morningstar, who was stopped in the westbound lanes of the Kansas Turnpike at mile marker 205, just east of the East Lawrence interchange. He was arrested and booked into the Douglas County Jail at 3:42 a.m. He was released on $250 bond at 6:01 a.m.

“Because of that and his extremely poor judgment last night, I have decided to suspend him for the first semester from all competition and travel. Brady will remain a member of our team and will participate in all other team functions. We will support him through this, but needless to say I am very disappointed in the sequence of events that took place last night.”

Self said it was not a difficult decision to suspend Morningstar, who started 34 of KU’s 35 games last season.

“I haven’t had much fun the last 10 days or so dealing with incidents you shouldn’t have to deal with ... basically a few of our guys exercising poor judgment,” Self told the Journal-World. “Of course Brady’s judgment last night was very poor for multiple reasons and so it was not a hard decision to do what we did at all.

“I like Brady. I think he is a good person. I think he is a very good player and he will be welcomed back to us second semester if in fact he is able to conduct his business right and handle this in a way it should be handled.”

Morningstar will be able to practice, but not be eligible to play in a game until mid-December.

“I think Brady can still have an impact. I told Brady today and he knows this ... he has to figure out some way where this helps his life,” Self said. “On the surface, you don’t see that being the case, but usually people that are tough and winners, they figure out a way to use negatives to their advantage over time.

“This is certainly not a short-term advantage by any means. I do think he’ll do a good job with that. I will not say positively what will be the end result because like I told him today, you have to prove it to yourself, your family, to me, to your teammates, to a lot of people before we are going to reward you to have you out there wearing a Kansas uniform.”

He said Morningstar’s reaction “is what you would expect it to be. He is very down about what happened. He is very remorseful. He feels like he’s let a lot of people down, but on the flip side he had a chance to make much better decisions last night so he wouldn’t have to feel this way. I feel bad for him because he’s hurting, but I don’t feel bad at all about the punishment.”

Self said the Jayhawk players were aware that — since the incidents with the football team — “we’ve had some rules in place that were probably more stringent than what they were prior to the incident last week. Our guys knew the importance of making sure they comply with those regulations and Brady did not do so.”

The 6-foot-3 Morningstar averaged 6.5 points and 3.0 rebounds per game last season. He was second on the team in minutes played (30.4) and generally regarded as KU’s best perimeter defender.

“I think we’ve got good players. I think we’ve got depth,” Self said. “Am I disappointed we don’t have a full complement of guys to start? Absolutely, but we are playing to win in the end. I don’t see how this will deter that. We’ve got some young guys and an opportunity for them to maybe step in and maybe have a bigger role than what they might have if we had a full complement of guys. Sometimes when the door is open for somebody else, they take advantage of it.”

Pep rally a hit

More than 1,000 fans attended a KU basketball pep rally/Bill Self Assists Foundation Fundraiser Saturday afternoon and evening outside Johnny’s Tavern and the Salty Iguana at Ridgeview Plaza in Olathe.

“I thought it was a pretty gloomy day today. It’s not ... it’s a great day,” Self said in a speech to fans. “You get here and see a lot of KU faithful, a lot of fans that really unconditionally love their school and teams. I’m very proud of that.

“We had a situation with our football team ... the biggest situation with our football team is we are proud of them,” Self added to loud applause. “There have been a lot of reports of this or that ... well, here’s the report. We are very happy for their success. I know things have to bounce right, it’s a strangely shaped ball, but if it bounces right we could find ourselves in the exact same place we were two years ago (BCS bowl).”

Self also asked the fans for their support in packing the fieldhouse for the Oct. 16 Late Night in the Phog. KU will be on the start of fall break that night.

“Without reservation I can say this is the best basketball arena in the country not only to play at, but with all the fan amenities you will be so proud of in there. You will all be excited about that,” he added of new concessions and wider concourses in Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

Tribehawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Seriously? What's wrong with the B-ball team this year?

finestack 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm hearing Twilight Zone tones in my ears all of the sudden....

Andrew Ledell 10 years, 3 months ago

Well I suppose any minute we'll have accusations of the LJW "digging up dirt in the name of a story."

Seriously Bill Self, get this basketball team under control and end the embarrassment. It's part of what you get paid 3 mil a year for.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 3 months ago

Roger Morningstar-

How about a father/son talk whereby Brady has a newfound respect for the family name as it relates to KU. Or, put him through a new kind of boot camp whereby yours is up his a@*!

lance1jhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

I just went through that area this week on my way to visit a friend at KU Med. It is a part of the turnpike that is under construction. So he was probably speeding in a construction zone that led to him being pulled over.

Also wasn't there some sort of prep rally at a mexican resturant last night in KC that Bill Self was promoting to kick off the season?

Brian Leiker 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm not sure what the regulations are...but I'd be willing to bet that boot camp runs a week past the usual.

tdub 10 years, 3 months ago

Maxhawk, WTF? Do you really think Self thought of Morningstar as a risky sign? The son of a former player = typically reliable.

dodrh 10 years, 3 months ago

This is really stupid coming out of the fights.

Here is the big problem at KU. Alcohol. Too much of it.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Umm, I'm guessing this doesn't bode well for a Brady Morningstar that will be fighting for minutes this year.

Not a smart move Brady.

KUwins_again 10 years, 3 months ago

What is going on here? And brady? This is making mizzou look like a catholic school?

KUwins_again 10 years, 3 months ago

and was he charged with anything? It just said suspicion.

gchawk 10 years, 3 months ago

I hope this isn't a sign of more underlying problems for Brady. I've always admired Brady for his hard work ethics, but being a recovering alcoholic myself, I can't help but worry about his well being. I'm certainly not saying Brady is in my shoes, but I am saying to all of you too not judge too quickly. Just a little food for thought, and again, I'm not pointing an accusatory finger, alcoholics tend to behave in extremes, either achieving at a high level or being bottom dwellers. Brady, I hope for the best for you.

Jonathan Kealing 10 years, 3 months ago

KUwins--

With something like this, on a Saturday, formal charges, probably won't come until Monday.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

MrPilot 10 years, 3 months ago

"Maxhawk (anonymous) says..."

You ignorant fool.

okjhok 10 years, 3 months ago

You all must have some awful clean closets to be talking so much sh*t about these players. Hope it makes you feel better about yourselves. Don't come back on these boards and cheer for the team later this year when they start dominating on the court. You're not wanted as fans, at least not by this alumnus.

rawkhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Not good news. But I do not think the sky is falling and to say Self is running a corrupt program is ridiculous. I trust Self to deal with this in a respectful manner. To tie this incident to the fight is also a major stretch. This type of thing does happen, unfortunately. I hope the collective unit realizes how this can be a special season, but to not let it slip away due to poor choices.

MrPilot 10 years, 3 months ago

How many KU students have gotten DWIs this year? This just gets press because he's a basketball player. Self and the University will take care of it. It won't happen again.

gchawk 10 years, 3 months ago

matt3285. You apparently didn't read my post the way I meant it. All I was trying to say was to not toss Brady under the bus. I was merely trying to convey that I hope there NOT any underlying problems. Brady is a terrific person with outstanding work ethics, I'm sure Coach Self will deal with this appropriately.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

Apparently boot camp and whatever talk Self has given the team over the last couple of weeks has not registered properly. I know kids everywhere in college get DWI's, but this is absolutely positively about the worst timing for soemthing like this to happen. 1) It looks like KU basketball is out of Control right now......2)It looks like Self doesn't have the discipline that he needs, especially coming from his last press conference concerning discipling the players in volved and taking care of it "In-House". I'm not saying Self is at fault here, but whatever has happened in the last couple of weeks with his talks to the players has obviously not registered. I mean, don't the players understand that any type of scrutiny or negativity towards the program is going to be magnified a 1000 fold. Just completely bad timing and poor choice for Morningstar. Unfortuantely, if this was an isolated incidence it would not be okay, but be okay in the grand scheme of things, but because it happened to Buford over the summer, the KU brawls, and now this. The National Media will find a way to spin this a the exact right time to completely put KU in a negative light. I can't remember a season that can't get started soon enough in order to keep the players out of trouble.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

Wow! That it is some horrific spelling on my part. In a hurry so I hope some of you grammar police understand and cut me some slack this one time.

kulove 10 years, 3 months ago

My fiance had a glass of wine at dinner with her parents and got a DWI with a .09 BAC. Does this make her the worst person ever? NO! I wonder how many peeps on here have ever done that.... Lets not be quick to judge Brady.... By all accounts he is a good kid.

tdogg34 10 years, 3 months ago

lol, love this artical...arrested on suspicion of dwi, what the hell does that mean, lol. Sounds like theres nothing to this story other than Brady going to jail for a couple hours. So, basically nothing is going to happen here. You either get arrested for a dwi or you don't. Suspicion? It doesn't say anything about alcohol...So all in all he could have been tired as hell from all the workouts this past week, maybe took some painkillers or something to make him feel a bit better over the weekend to recoup and well decided to go for a drive early in the morning. While this is bad news on a saturday morning, brady will get away scotch clean and get what a game suspension or 2, doesn't really matter, he's not gonna play much this year anyways.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

I've certainly had my fair share of indiscretions and dumb choices in my life, so I definitely will refrain from any personal judgments on Brady (along with the fact that I have not even met the kid). Therefore, my comments will only postulate on the effect of an incident like this on Brady's basketball career.

It's no secret that Brady will be battling one of KU's most highly touted and athletic 3 men for playing time this year. While Brady has experience and trust from the head coach, he just doesn't have the same athleticism of a guy like Xavier. The more comfortable X gets with the system the more uphill Brady's struggle becomes.

And an incident like this simply makes Brady's uphill climb that much more steep. And the aforementioned trust that Coach Self has in him certainly will take some type of hit, the degree of which is yet unknown.

Thus, my previous comment: Not a smart move, Brady.

Rodney Stice 10 years, 3 months ago

A man is innocent until proven guilty, or pleads no contest. Many young men and boys (under 18 years old) have been known to drink and drive. I'm sure HCBS will have Moriningstar discliplined wether he is guilty or not.

tdogg34 10 years, 3 months ago

damn, $250 bond release? That is soooo CHEAP. The average in College Station, TX is $4000 for bond release of dwi. Just saying.

Jonathan Kealing 10 years, 3 months ago

tdogg-- He's arrested on suspicion of DWI because he hasn't been charged or convicted. So no, it's not fair to say "You either get arrested for a dwi or you don't". There are steps in the legal process before you could say that.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

WisconsinJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

So Brady was pulled over in the "left bound lane"?

Which direction is that? East? Wait, I just turned around, now it's west!

Sounds like the LJW writer could have been picked up on suspicion of WWI...writing while intoxicated.

WisconsinJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Slick! They just changed it to "west-bound lanes".

THX.

gchawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Dear anthonyzal. Not that your post merits a response, I will anyway. For what it's worth it's been years since I've had a drink. I just have a question. Do you have any idea what a bloomin' idiot looks like? If you would, just take a full length mirror out to I 70 and stand in the middle of the road, I'm sure you'll eventually find one if you look in the mirror. What a piece of work you must be. Regards

KirkwoodHawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Matt3285, you cannot get a DWI with just 2 beers in your system. One beer, unless you are drinking a super alcohol beer adds .02 to your BAC for a male at about 5'10" and 180lbs. If bigger it adds slightly less, if smaller, slightly more. Hence it takes at least 4 beers to reach the legal limit, although some toxicologists would say that impairment will begin between .04 and .05. Additionally, your system will metabolize, or get rid of approximately .02 per hour, again using the same ht and wt numbers. So in an hour, you need to consume at least 5 beers to reach and maintain the legal limit after one hour. Then only need one additional beer per hour to maintain that level. Or you could have 3 beers per hour and be there after 2 hours. Also, you may think you are driving okay, but it affects your ability to sense what is happening and then respond, so you are not able to operate a motor vehicle as safely, because your reflexes and response time are delayed as a result of the alcohol.

tdomine 10 years, 3 months ago

matt3285

Kid gets pulled over for DUI, he has a problem with alcohol. His judgement was definitely impaired because he got behind the wheel. He plays for the #1 basketball school in the nation and he thinks it's OK to risk getting caught. As a graduate of the school, I'm embarassed. It couldn't happen to the best of us, only those who are not grateful for the gifts they are given. Call a cab, call someone sober, take the bus, sleep it off where you are. Kid had tons of options but he chose the one that got him in trouble and could of gotten himself killed. And as for your comment that you can drive just fine while over the legal limit---that's what most people who kill others while driving drunk say. I'm not a mormon, I love me some beer, but I've seen enough of the cheesey "please drink responsibly" PSAs to know to designate a driver.

And just because he will probably get off on a technicality does not excuse the fact that he made a serious error in judgement. My guess is that he will learn a lot from this. But this isn't something we all need to learn first-hand. There's a lot of good people out there sharing their stories, all we have to do is listen. Don't drink and drive---at all.

sdoyel 10 years, 3 months ago

THANK YOU HCBS!

Now MAYBE these dumb@sses will wise up and stop making such poor decions in fear of them having to sit out a SEMESTER.

bergyju 10 years, 3 months ago

Some of you are so quick to judge! And I agree with okjhok, all the negative people on here need not to be on here acting all cock and bragging when we are having a successful year on the courts. Especially after all the critisism you have plastered on here. Doesn't anyone realize that we have such high standards towards both the football program and the basketball program. What does that mean, well these kids are kids and they are under alot of pressure and not to mention there is some pretty strong egos to boot. Yes they have made some poor decisions, but I would imagine you all have made some in your lifetime. Give them a break, support them and our coaches! GO JAYHAWKS!!!! Yes they were wrong for fighting, yes Brady made a bad decision, but life goes on and we can only hope that they are starting to see where these errors are going to land them!

mjlindsm 10 years, 3 months ago

I take back all I've said about Brady being a starter early in the season.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 3 months ago

Bill Self is losing control of this team. We can all be ostriches and hope everything will be okay but these are exactly the types of distractions that cost teams championships. bergju.. if we are to have the successful year everyone is hoping for, this team needs to be reigned in and quickly. Brady was probably going to be a starter, at least in the first half of the season. We obviously have enough depth to replace him but this guy was supposed to a role model. LAJayhawk.. I admire for not making personal judgments and I agree with most here that more than a few of us have had our share of mistakes but how many of us have had the honor of wearing that uniform and representing our school. These players must be held to higher standards. Every mistake they make is put under a microscope and reflects on the University. To think 'who hasn't made a mistake or it was only an indiscretion of youth' is selling the basketball program and KU short.

KURob 10 years, 3 months ago

I have to say that there are two parts to this incident, and most of you are forgetting about one half. Not only did Brady get arrested under suspicion of a DWI, but HE VIOLATED TEAM RULES! Did you see what time the arrest was made? Booked at 3:42 am. From past experience, I know there isn't much going on past 2:00 am that HCBS would be too happy about...

I know college kids are apt to stay out late, especially on a Friday after working hard in boot camp, but I can almost guarantee that HCBS went over the recently-amended team rules QUITE well after all of the fighting, and for Brady to get caught out that late shows very poor judgement on his part. As someone who had the opportunity to be an excellent leader and "glue guy" on this team this year (heck, he even had a great workout this summer out in Cali), he certainly blew his shot at a starting position.

I'm beginning to worry about the veteran leadership OFF the court with this team...where's Big Dub when you need him?

Joseph Kuebel 10 years, 3 months ago

LOL @ GCHAWK- Sounds like he's got that ALKi RAGE! Anthonyzal is always saying off the wall bogus things. Relax you shouldn't have given him, or the rest of the humor that last response. ooh find a mirror on i-70 and eventually you'll find an idiot? Did you really feel better and think you got him good with that? Real slick. lol.

JayDocMD 10 years, 3 months ago

nevermind - forgot he already redshirted. guess its just a total waste of a semester for one of our better perimeter defenders and shooters.

100 10 years, 3 months ago

Good job, Coach Self -- an important day to make a quick, meaningful punishment that is not in house -- we fully support this public decision -- let the kids everywhere, young & old, know how stupid & selfish it is to drink & drive.

(Strangely when it's been hard to wear my Jayhawk hat lately, your decision gives my hat & Jayhawk fanhood much more backbone)

gchawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Calihawk, it was just a metaphor, chill. One thing that is being somewhat recognized in this whole mess is that nothing good rarely happens after 1:00 a.m. Poor judgement was definitely used by Brady.

Adam Evans 10 years, 3 months ago

Maxhawk: If you are so narrow-minded as to think this in any way is Self's fault, or to compare him to Tark the Shark, then you sir are no Jayhawk fan, or at least one that is unable to see a bigger picture. KU basketball has had its issues over the last few years, not just this year. Remember Giddens? Not Self. Self is establishing his control by suspending one of our most consistent players and a "glue" type team-member. It's a shame yes, but this is Self's way of gaining control. He is sending a message to the rest of the team. The reason for the suspension, according to the article, was Brady breaking curfew. Not the DWI. We all knew there were going to be some issues with how the team gelled at the start of this season, let's all be patient and watch it happen.

LionHawkS 10 years, 3 months ago

OK people.. gather yourselves..First of all, it's called college!! Where there is a college there is plently of alcohol. Some abuse it and some don't. Some make good decisions about drinking and driving and some don't. I know a lot of you (myself included) have had a few two many in college (and after college) and took the chance of driving home. Morningstar is a normal kid and is going to have to make these decisions on his own. I liked the way coach Self handled it. One semester of no basketball can be used as a warming to all the other players. Let's get past this and move on. You guys are making a mountain over an anthill.

Mike Johns 10 years, 3 months ago

could there be worst timing.... love my hawks but what a knucklehead move.

Adam Evans 10 years, 3 months ago

While I agree that we as a Jayhawk community need to start looking forward, and not looking back or right in front of us, there are more issues that just Brady being stupid, TT being stupid, and any others involved in the fighting. Regardless of being "college kids", these kids are ambassadors of the University of Kansas. They represent not just a future banner and not just our sports teams, but the University as a whole. While they have all the same temptations as any other student, no one will ever look at a non-athlete student and raise hell about it. These guys are held to much higher standards. And I agree, Self is handling it all with as much class as possible at the moment. He has made a statement that basically is saying "If you chose to be stupid, you will not be on my court". But it's more than just college kids being college kids.

Adam Evans 10 years, 3 months ago

I just came across this, and this is exactly what I was talking about. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4528198 It's more than just a "fight". Now it has a nice pretty criminal investigation along with it. This, and the article about Morningstar, are headlining articles on ESPN.com. These decisions are making our University look bad, not just the individuals involved.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Is it that f-ing hard to avoid fighting and drunk driving? I hope Self makes all of the guys run more sprints at boot camp and dedicate them to Brady. This is just getting insane. I bet the Henry brothers are probably thinking, "What the hell is going on?"

LionHawkS 10 years, 3 months ago

to KUGuyInTarheelLand.. take a deeeep breath.... now let it out slowly,, This will blow over like every other incident that every college has had. It will works its way out...If anything, it proves that these college players are kids. It proves that these kids are human like everyone else, regarless of the fact that some may think that they need to be held to higher standards..LMAO.. go tell that to a college kid and let me know what their response is.
KU is not perfect and we shouldn't expect it to be.. as long as we have coaches like Self who will lay down the hammer when he needs to, we will be ok. Let's move on :-)

capnwacky 10 years, 3 months ago

Get ahold of your team BIll. This is embarrassing.

Lone_salina_kufan 10 years, 3 months ago

While I agree that we should remember our bball and fball players are kids, to excuse or justify or whatever the hell you want to tag it, i.e. "boys will be boys", getting behind the wheel of a car over the legal limit is a crime for a reason. To take your own life and others into your hands in an impaired state is inexcusable.

Have we learned nothing from Dante Stallworth? OOPS! Just a mistake? Try telling that to the guys family who was killed.

Im not saying I think Brady should be put away for good, I actually think the discipline was very fitting. But I am a little shocked that some just brush this away.

Losing a semester of basketball is a lot better than losing the rest of your life or someone else losing theirs. Thats the reality that exists when you drive intoxicated. Thats a fact that CANNOT be overlooked.

Adam Evans 10 years, 3 months ago

I do agree completely Lion. This will all settle down; Self will have it no other way. We will go on to having an amazing season. I'm not worried at all about the team. It just concerns me that about 80% of the people that are posting are saying it's no big deal when it is. It is going to blow over, and we will be stronger because of it. :D

KirkwoodHawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Matt, I have had two different toxicologists testify under oath to the above calculation and a third presented the same material at a seminar. It is accepted science in the industry. I have no idea how your friend's "breathalyzer" is callobrated, but I do know that what you are saying is against the existing scientific evidence.

I'll take the scientists over your friend's toy.

Matt1958 10 years, 3 months ago

A lot of you are missing the point here. This is about the good of the program. Is Brady a good or bad person? That is not the point at this time. He was in violation of team rules. You are awarded a scholarship at Kansas to represent the school, on and off the court. Parents send their blue chip athletes to schools to develop their talents. They also want to know that their kids are in good surroundings. Two DUI arrests and multiple fights that have KU on the front page of ESPN.com for what seems like weeks. We look like an athletic department totally out of control and people are actually whining about the alcohol and drug laws?

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 3 months ago

wow. another incident. what's the old saying...nothing good can come from being out after (throw in your after midnight time). must have thought with the weekend off for boot camp, Brady would party a bit.

this will not affect the season....but i'd like to have some news for a week, that all we hear about is the actual playing of basketball. this is getting old.

palewhale 10 years, 3 months ago

These comments about kids will be kids is missing the point. Yes, kids will be kids and make mistakes but the coaching staff has a poor job of keeping these players in line. Whether you like it or not that's a part of their job. There has been a lot of these incidents under Self and it needs to be addressed.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

I have a feeling Morningstar is getting the brunt of Self's irritation from last week's brawl, melee, shouting match or disorderly thumb wrestling, what ever it was. I'm sure this will make news for a couple weeks. I'm also sure Morningstar feels horrible. I guess there is a wide range of possibilities from he being drunk off his rear and swerving all over the highway to having slept 4 hours prior to driving home and being clocked 5mph over the speed limit while otherwise driving exceptionally safely.

I personally will assume the worst possible scenario and make absurd suggestions as to decipline for anyone named in the column and the 'obvious' downward spiral of KU athletics. Note the sarcasm.

cffighter86 10 years, 3 months ago

"Whether you like it or not that's a part of their job. There has been a lot of these incidents under Self and it needs to be addressed."

Yes it is his job to keep them in line, but you can't expect Self to hold a 23 year old mans hand. Brady made the choice to drive after drinking, not Self.

iowajhawk81 10 years, 3 months ago

Kirkwood...your calculations are correct, that is for someone who weighs in at about 150 lbs. If you weighed as much as 180 you would probably have to have slightly more than four beers on board for your BAC to reach .08.

iowajhawk81 10 years, 3 months ago

What are all these other incidents you're talking about. You talking about the brawl? What are they? List them. Come clean. You're just another anti-KU guy who will claim the program is "outa control". Go listen to your pal Keitzhead on Monday from 2-6, and you'll get all of that crap you can lick up.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

"There has been a lot of these incidents under Self and it needs to be addressed."

Like a suspension perhaps?

Adam Evans 10 years, 3 months ago

Also, people are forgetting that practices just started with boot camp. Self doesn't have nearly as much contact with the guys during the off-season like he does during the season. Self will kick their butts into behavior. If they don't, he has made it clear they won't be playing for him.

4jhawks4ku 10 years, 3 months ago

Self has stuck with this kid who prob wouldnt have gotten a big 12 scholarship at another school. Signed him cuzz his dad played here. Worked with him for four years, taught him how to play defense. Worked him into the lineup whenever he could. Got him a National Championship ring. And what does this kid do???? You kiddin me? Should be a year susp and jerk his scholarship money......Its not the crime as much as the in your face insult to the program and coach. Keep working hard CJ and Xavier.

Tracy L. Cauley 10 years, 3 months ago

As a parents if we tell our kids not to do something and they do it anyway does that make us bad parents. As kids if we make a bad decision does that make us bad terrible kids who should never be trusted again. I think our goal is to let kids know there are consequences of there actions. They then can make the choice that they feel is best for them. Hopefully the consequences are enough to keep it from happening again. I think we should be more up in arms if we have repeat offenders. There is a saying that "bought experience is the best experience". Stuff you try to give people for free they don't use they just toss it to the back of their minds. So let's give Coach Self and the guys a little slack because if it was as easy as we all try to make it seem our world would not be in the mess that it's in today.

tdogg34 10 years, 3 months ago

Lol, I dont think Brady got arrested or anything, I think it is a scape goat to have him sitting. Seriously, this guy was going to see scrub minutes this year if any at all. So instead of the embarassment of getting beat out by a couple of freshmen for a spot in the rotation, why not make up a story like this, suspend this guy for a semester and scare everyone else straight. Good work!!! I mean seriously, $250 bail bond? Less than 3 hours incarcerated? Doesn't seem right to me.

Adam Evans 10 years, 3 months ago

Ummm...it's pretty standard tdog. If you make bail, you can leave. If it's a slow night, it's a quick process to get you processed through. And the bail was set pretty much standard. That's kind of a silly statement.

Theutus 10 years, 3 months ago

This is a non-issue. College kid makes college mistake... big whoop. Brady will take his punishment in stride, and come out of it with fire in the heart.

Was it stupid? Ya. Was it all that bad? No. All of the posters here who are sitting on a high horse "I graduated from KU and this is embarrassing". Well welcome to the real world. If you are embarrassed that easily, you probably have extremely low self esteem and should see a shrink.

Ryan Wood 10 years, 3 months ago

Does Cole Aldrich get the same punishment for the same crime?

Things that make you go hmm...

tdogg34 10 years, 3 months ago

well being someone that has been through the process and knowing many many other people that have been through the dwi process, $250 is the cheapest thing I have ever seen, then again I am in texas, where they pass out dwi's like crazy. Btw the average for bail on a dwi, at least a few years back in college station, tx was $4000.

Adam Evans 10 years, 3 months ago

1) Matt, it's a shame you think that. When you buy someone books and all they do is look at the pictures, people will still blame the teacher and it's a shame. 2) Makes sense now Tdog. My apology for saying you were silly

suttonku 10 years, 3 months ago

Look the main thing is he made a mistake and he is going to pay for that mistake...This team needs to get focused and become more matured and quickly...You dont expect this from Brady but it could have been worse, it could have been Sherron...Lets get passed this already!

champs528808 10 years, 3 months ago

Having difficulty with those getting on HCBS for taking control of the team. What is the semester suspension - a slap on the wrist? Come on, Brady is at fault here, not Self. Who made the choice to drink and drive? This choice was also made following the incidents with the fb team, so you know the rules were 'tightened up', yet the decision was still made. Ask yourself this question - would the suspension been a semester without the junk with the fb team? Highly unlikely.

Matt1958 10 years, 3 months ago

Brady isn't suspended for DUI. He is suspended for blowing off curfew. After the Bball FBall fiasco they all knew when they were to be in. What is Self supposed to do? I still see this senario. Say I have a kid that is the #1 recruit in the nation. We live in Pennsylvania. He's considering Pitt, N.C. Ky. Florida and KU and has offers from all of them. I read about all this crap going on at Kansas. Do you really think I wouldn't consider all this when it is time to make a choice? Have you seen how Texas is recruiting? Do you really think we can afford these problems?

Brian Leiker 10 years, 3 months ago

.09 on a glass of wine? Really?

Which of the 3 happened. Your sister weighs 70lbs. Your sister considers 32oz cups a glass. She considers Everclear wine.

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 3 months ago

After reading the above postings, I have come to the following conclusions: 1) There are many experts on body chemistry and the metabolism of alcohol in the bodies of every human being and they all just happen to be on this board. 2) There actually exists a number of rational nonjudgemental people on this site. The number however is quite low and I hope does not reflect the demographics of society. 3)Pontificating seems to be a popular hobby.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 3 months ago

Withey and Morningstar now sitting out the first semester. That leaves us only twelve talented Division One players. This current roster will be fine. It's the 2010 and 2011 and 2012 rosters I'm worried about. . Don't believe for a second that Calipari and Williams and Coach K and Barnes and every other division one coach is, at the least, hinting that KU stands for Knucklehead University.

The next step, regretfully if it has to be taken, is going to be to throw someone off the team. Hopefully, the players understand that and respond appropriately.

iowajhawk81 10 years, 3 months ago

Tdogg...bail is NOT a punishment, nor is it intended to be a substitute for it. Bail is only there to make sure you appear for your next hearing. I don't think there's much chance Brady isn't going to appear for his next court date. I'm surprised he wasn't released on his own recognizance...other than the fact he may have still be legally intoxicated, and they won't release someone in that condition.

kranny 10 years, 3 months ago

Holy Crap! The sky is falling! Worry not Hawk fans. Bill will get them straightened out. I have a feeling that being kicked off the team will be hung over these guys' heads. That's what he's done before-CJ Giles and JR Giddens. Bill will get these yahoos to wake up. The problem is that bball season needs to get started.

iowajhawk81 10 years, 3 months ago

Let's see...Knucklehead University? IF you are a KU grad you need to turn in your diploma and your crimson and blue t-shirt. IF you are merely masquerading as one, have a nice day...and spend some more time on your own school's home town paper.

lance1jhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Brady was not suspended for DWI people... He was suspended for violating team rules. He was out after curfew. I would suspect that if he is convicted of DWI, he might just face another suspension.

Michael Pannacciulli 10 years, 3 months ago

the pressures of all the expectations getting to these guys or what? this all looks really bad for self in the short term, and the U in the long term. for brady, who is such a hard worker, underdog, etc. this is a shame...you gotta keep your eye on the prize man! sure anyone can slip up, but you brady? really???

Adam Evans 10 years, 3 months ago

I can't wait until you hear Vitale going nuts during the NCAA tournament, with us as the #1 overall seed on our way to another Rock Chalk Championship, with him yelling "And to think what this team went through 6 months ago! Rock Chalk Jayhawk baby!!". We will all be in front of our television sets with big stupid grins on our faces because of the pride we feel in our team and the trials we overcame.

Kent Wells 10 years, 3 months ago

Nick Krug is an amazing photographer. Perhaps he should jist shoot booking photos now for the basletball and football teams. The athletes can even carry them and hand them to their arresting officer. Would seem easier!

Dick Murdock 10 years, 3 months ago

I guess my biggest concern here is about a young talented player who spent the summer working out with the toughest conditioning coach around and who was obviously trying to get strong enough to compete for serious minutes. Then he pulls a serious boneheaded move by both being out way past curfew and is over the limit. Yeah we've all been there, had too much drink maybe even drove - but how many of us have had so much to loose from such a stupid choice? It really concerns me about Brady. It was totally dumb and irresponsible - but it is also sad and painful to see.

murph 10 years, 3 months ago

Let's see, now... Brady was suspended for "breaking team rules" and he sits for a semester. (I'm not complaining that he's being punished - just trying to make it all fit together in a logical way. If he drove drunk, he SHOULD be punished.)

Tyshawn hits somebody, messes up his hand (which hampers his participation in team preparation for the upcoming season), brags about having committed assault in a VERY public place - which he doesn't deny doing - and how - or even if - he's punished is "none of our business"??

So do the rules allow fighting on campus - at least twice, and by some accounts another time? Do the rules allow team members to break the law and then brag about it?

Oh, wait - I forgot. There are HUGE differences in the two cases. Brady is expendable. He's only a good player - not a star on whatever team that was that Tyshawn was with this summer. Brady will only do good things and help the team win - he won't be the star. Tyshawn might make the difference between a very good year and winning it all. Tyshawn will likely go to the NBA and make more headlines for KU (I have to wonder which kind, but never mind...) Tyshawn will draw attention to the high caliber of Bill Self's recruiting and coaching. Brady will just be a good citizen.

And of course, there's that one other little detail. Brady is white.

gardenjay 10 years, 3 months ago

We should be concerned about college drinking and driving.

Also, we should be concerned about brawling.

Then there is the tortuous story about Joe College ripping off KU that downplayed the enormous size of the legal costs against his T-shirt shop - talk about ripping off KU.

Since many of these stories are almost immediately posted on ESPN, there must be a public eager to eat this Lawrence fare nationally, which must make for heady times for Lawrence journalists.

Is it just me, or does it seem like this site is a slave now to the national media? What about an article that admits this, like:

1) "KU Not Looking Good Now, Even in the Arctic Circle" 2) "KU Journalists Fight For Next Bad Boy Storyline: Journalists Brawl in LJW Parking Lot" 3) "Survey of Parents Shows KU Less Attractive Than Juarez, Mexico" 4) "KU Athletic Department Espresso Machine Broken: But Lew Still Steamed"

Cary Bowlin 10 years, 3 months ago

I don't remember Roy having problems like this, possibility better player selection and discipline and he is still running a quality program in NC. Come on Coach Self, earn your keep the "Old Fashion Way" and get your program respectable, KU fans deserve the best.

lama 10 years, 3 months ago

Roy had a few issues -- Lester Earl, B.J. Williams.

Brady is only a junior, so he'll get a chance to do this again next year.

Hawktacular 10 years, 3 months ago

I look forward to mid-April when we can all look back at the crap we had to fight through to win another National Championship. Let's make the fight and this DWI the ONLY off the court issues for the '09-'10 season...

jumpinjayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Give the kid a break. He made a mistake, we all have. I wish you well Brady, I know you learned a valuable lesson, good luck in the second half of the season we will need you to put up some valuable minutes

waywardJay 10 years, 3 months ago

OK.... Thanks to Brady i now have to alter my thinking on who starts at the 2.....

RIght now, we have tyrel ( who has done by all reports everything right ), Tyshawn ( busted hand, stil untested three shooter ) and CJ.... ( not sure what we are getting... appears to be a hard worker in practice and was once a scoring threat in high school )

This is certainly making Bill's job come season ALOT easier... the minutes are disappearing before our eyes..... right now it's making his life a living hell... but he's going to have plenty to look at when determining how he plays.

PS... I'm glad no one was injured.

jhawkpb23 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm sure this happens at other schools as well all the time. Just because Kansas is going to be unstoppable this year, all of the media is trying to bring them down any way possible. Don't worry Brady, you and the guys are going to dominate this year!

Larry Smith 10 years, 3 months ago

Murph,

I think you are missing the point. First of all this has nothing to do with the fact that Brady is white, or the fact that Tyshawn is a star. This has to do with discipline.

First, Chase gets into trouble over the summer. It happens. Next, Tyshawn and others "allegedly" get into a fight (no one seems to really know the whole story). Coach Self sees that things are starting to get out of control, so he gets all of the players together, starts boot camp early, he explains expectations, he sets some new rules in order to reign some players in, he tells everyone this type of behavior must stop NOW! the slightest indiscretion is going to result in serious disciplinary action.

Despite all of this, Brady chose to ignore the warnings and the team rules and breaks curfew, gets arrested, and coach Self has no choice but to come down hard in order to let these kids know that he means business. Very bad timing on Brady's part.

Joe Joseph 10 years, 3 months ago

Now we know what it feels like to be Missouri fans.

kurules 10 years, 3 months ago

There are an awful lot of hypocrites out there talking trash..Let's be honest with ourselves, how many of us have driven when we shouldn't have but never got caught? I don't condone it by any means, and if I'm playing at KU, right, I don't drink and drive (at least at this point in my life), but the fact is, most athletes drink (and drive) and most that get caught get caught by a "cool" officer that let's them off the hook (trust me I know) and nobody ever hears about it. Unfortunately for Morninstar, this officer was Louis from Revenge of the Nerds trying to make a point and sure enough did. Again, I'm not defending the action by any means and he got what he deserved, but don't be a hypocrite...

suttonku 10 years, 3 months ago

Kurules,

Youre right a lot of us have driven when we shouldnt have but even without drinking, driving at 345 AM is dangerous unless you sleep during the day...I hate driving at 3 AM being the DD...I dont know where he was coming from but someone should have taken his keys from him.

murph 10 years, 3 months ago

No, Jayhawk 86, it's YOU who miss the point. I'm not complaining at all that Brady is being punished. I think what he did deserves every bit of what he got. (I"m more hung up on the DUI than I am the curfew, but I have this funny objection to endangering himself and other people on the road...)

I AM complaining that Tyshawn behaved like a thug - and admitted breaking the law - and ISN'T being punished. I think his transgressions were pretty serious, too. I don't see at all where you get that he "allegedly" got into a fight. HE SAID SO HIMSELF. He posted on his Facebook page (along with a bunch of stupid and trashy lyrics he "borrowed" for the occasion) that he punched someone and hurt his hand. He doesn't deny either the posting or the fighting, so I don't see that there's anything "alleged" about it. I'd like to see him sit out some games, too. It certainly looks like favoritism to me. Funny how the "big stars" don't seem to get punished nearly as severely as the more replaceable people like Brady. There are several guys who can play that position, and play it well. But Tyshawn made a big splash over the summer, and is projected as one of the top shooting guards in the country this year. (Read that in a Yahoo magazine on a newsstand last night.) HE's not sitting. How odd.

If Brady deserves "discipline" (and I think he does) why doesn't Tyshawn deserve it?

Brady's parents won't object - no one will object. Brady's parents will no doubt continue donating to the basketball program, too. It's safe to punish him.

But Tyshawn?? Well... HE will likely go to the NBA and enhance Self's reputation. But he might not be willing to donate his prestige (which is more valuable than money in this competitive recruiting world) to KU if he's been "disciplined". He might hold a grudge. There might be whispers that "the man" was "oppressing" him because he used those "street" terms sung - or rapped, or whatever you call it - by that recording star. Bill Self would be taking serious risks - to his hopes of another championship, to the hoped-for benefits from yet another NBA player... Who knows? Punishing him isn't nearly so safe.

I still think Tyshawn needs to sit, too.

lv_jhwk 10 years, 3 months ago

Needing some help...I seem to remember Morningstar having another alcohol-related incident a year or two ago. If so, I think that, along with the curfew infraction, would easily explain the swift punishment.

lv_jhwk 10 years, 3 months ago

Also, some interesting comments from self in the following article: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4528884

I might be in the minority, but I am not going to say anything about how Self handles this and any other issue simply because I know it doesn't affect me as much as him. After all, this is as much his image as it is the program's, school's, or whoever's. Many posts here have proven just that, as they are quick to try to establish Self's supposed shortcomings. Either way, if Self is able to sleep at night (and endure the inevitable backlash from rivals) in part because of his handling of the situation, I'm pretty sure I can too.

codybear 10 years, 3 months ago

A great way to open up playing time for all of the new found stars; but Brady did it and when U do it.........U leave yourself wide open for anybody and anyone. Question would be how many other players broke curfew that night and did not get caught or if they did was it was overlooked..........You don't punish your #1's that is for sure............plus Brady will not be missed.............however he could have been kept on the team and made to ride the stationary bike in the middle of boot camp like some others but then that is reserved for those higher up the ladder.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 3 months ago

First he blows it against MSU and then this. Thanks for making the decision to play X and the other guys instead of you, Brady. These guys are just throwing away an opportunity to be a once in a liftetime team. Extremely disappointing.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 3 months ago

Hey, this isn't a glass of wine, this is a guy coming back from a night out on the town at nearly 4 a.m. The issue is discipline. These guys are supposed to be in the middle of the so called "Boot Camp" and focusing on the season, and he's out partying like it's May.

Does Brady care about winning? Does he care about playing? Does he care about his team? About KU? I have to wonder why someone would be out this late at this early point in the team's development. It tells me a lot about Brady Morningtar's heart.

kuhawks1983 10 years, 3 months ago

Brady is an idiot! You drink, you drive, you lose! Looks like Brady lost a whole semester of playing basketball, good job buddy! Brady better be lucky Bill didn't just boot him off the team if it wasn't for his dad.

Fred Davis 10 years, 3 months ago

I was on the road all day yesterday, so I was shocked when I found out this morning that Brady had been busted for DUI... That said, very disappointing for KU and for Brady, who clearly made a serious error in judgement to blatently disregard the rules after everything KU has been through.

But I will caution, this latest incident is not Bill Self losing control of his team or some win-at-any-cost attitude... The basketball players fought football players, stupid or not, it was the whole team banding together, which at least shows the unity this team has, and for Brady, I'm in agreement with another poster about this arrest possibly underscoring what could be a bigger problem for Brady, and Self even said in this article that Brady needs to find some way for this incident ot help Brady's life... Awfully strong statement for a kid's first brush with the law.

I have faith in Bill Self and I'm confident that he is running the program the way an elite, championship program should be run. This latest individual indiscretion is not what KU fans want to hear two weeks before practice starts, but KU can learn from this, get stronger from this because now folks are pointing to these events as distractions and question whether this team has that championship moxie. While I wish Brady the best of luck, Self, his staff, Sherron and Cole will get the team through this, they will be a better team because of it and the Jayhawks can get back to the business of playing for championships.

kennethst 10 years, 3 months ago

Theutus is back!! Welcome, sir!!

Where have you been???

Kent Wells 10 years, 3 months ago

Did Buford get suspended for his DUI? What was the discipline there? Forced to play as a scrub only checking into games in the last 1:30 of a 20 point rout? Oh, that's already done.

Rivethead 10 years, 3 months ago

So Brady Imnotastar gets suspended for the semester for violating team rules (seriously Brady....you're given everything you need to succeed and you think you need to be out at 3:42am on a Saturday morning....wtf?).

If/when he's formally charged and convicted of a DWI, will he be punished for that?

We may not see Brady Neverwillbeastar again.

emillasap 10 years, 3 months ago

My glass half full scenario:

With Brady out of the way in the rotation, EJ decides to step up to the challenge. He matches his freakish athleticism only with his resolve to learn and give max effort.

Brady may have just cost himself an active role in what could be one of the best seasons in KU history. If Elijah is a quick understudy and,( the following is to make this post jaybate proof), can shoot the trey at 37-40% coupled with solid d, this suspension may have been a blessing in disguise. A line-up with Sherron/TT at the "1" EJ at the "2" X at the "3" Marcus/TRob at the 4 and Cole at the 5 (firing outlet passes). . . . Ole' Roy will turn Tarheel blue with envy if this line-up can gel in transition. Think about it.

Wow, how many teams can lose a returning starter from a sweet 16 team and even dream of the above scenario. At least on the court, it is a great year to be a Jayhawk.

emillasap 10 years, 3 months ago

P.S.

I truly believe Cole is set up to have one of the great years in KU bball history. Gives me chills. He will be the real ambassador for KU an adversity laden season. A second NC along with Double-Doubles galore will truly make him an all-time great in KU's rich history. Not to put the cart in front of the horse......................

Kevin Long 10 years, 3 months ago

I don't think he should be in trouble at all. It's just a DUI. I'm sure a lot of people on this board have had one too. Let the law handle it. He made a mistake and the law will punish him, but let him play ball.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 3 months ago

A lot of new names here today which means a lot of baiters piling on.

This wouldn't be a big deal except for the fight last week. To those who said the fight last week wasn't a big deal - this is why. Every incident now will be seen as part of a pattern and another black eye no matter how small.

"lol". Seriously, "lol"? This isn't myspace.com.

chowfy96 10 years, 3 months ago

"Just a DUI!" Glad he didn't kill someone you love. Would it be just a "DUI" then? Drinking and Driving is the ulimate in irresponsible.

jayhawkjoe98 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm not sure all of you have read the actual article and quote from Bill Self.

Brady Morningstar is getting punished for (1) breaking the law, but mainly for (2) violating a team rule that HCBS had made very clear of the consequences from what it sounds like.

This is a good move by Bill Self. He is setting precedent for the rest of the season and the rest of the team. You can tell he is definitely yanking the reigns on this team. Good for him.

SCHNBALL 10 years, 3 months ago

We all know what it takes to win a championship, leadership and experience. We all know the stars on this team, but who will fill in the roles played by these guys just 2 years ago:

Sasha Kaun

Russel Robinson

Darnell Jackon

That team was deep with not only talent, but experience. Who will provide the defensive abilty of:

Brandon Rush

Mario Chalmers

tdub 10 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn Taylor = projected starter Punches guy in face, brags about it on Facebook, no disciplinary measures to date.

Brady Morningstar = projected reserve SUSPECTED of DWI, suspended for semester.

jayhawkjoe98 10 years, 3 months ago

Aw, the 'backwards race card'. Here we go...

DoubleDD 10 years, 3 months ago

This seems very strange to me. Brady always struck me as having a choir boy image. I would of never thought Brady would make such a bone head mistake. It just goes to show you that we're all just humans and humans make mistakes. Hope things work out for you Brady.

I've tried to pass off these problems KU has had here lately as merely storylines for media hounds. That the problems are just being blown out of proportion. However I'm starting to get these feelings of a high pressure tank about to burst. Maybe its just when it rains, it pours. I just can't shake this feeling somthing is wrong.

"To say this will just go away" shows a little shortsightedness. It used to be that kids would select a school because of the college bearing the name. You now like in the 80's when kids wanted Nike shoes just because they said Nike on them. Well that has all changed when recruiting kids. These kids have become free agents. The school can no longer pick these kids, the kids pick the school. These kids are looking at the in and outs of each choice they have on the table, and if you don't think that the recent events at KU won't play into the decision making of these kids you're sorely mistaking.

tdogg34 10 years, 3 months ago

Once again, You all bring up Tyshawn Taylor's name and suspension. Time to lay the number one fact down on ya.

Tyshawn Taylor = DID NOT BREAK THE LAW He was not charged, did not go to jail, get off the kids back already, he did not break any rules. Also whether you want to believe it or not, the facebook apparantly was lyrics from songs, not from real life. And even if it was real talk, which I'm sure it is, prove it...oh yah you can't. Enough said.

Brady Morningstar = APPEARS TO HAVE BROKEN THE LAW He was arrested, broke team rules a week or two after the big meeting. Idiot. Enough said.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 3 months ago

Two comments:

Thanks for removing Anthonzal's comment earlier.

We need to put these incidents behind us and focus on the program as a whole. KU basketball is an institution and needs to remain as highly regarded along with the other icons of college basketball such as Duke, UCLA, North Carolina and Kentucky. Unfortunately, Kentucky's reputation will be affected by its association with it's new coach, but it's legacy will be there along with Indiana's legacy even after the latter years of Bobby Knight.

okiedave 10 years, 3 months ago

Just out of curiosity...if Reesing and Meirer were out at 3:00 a.m. and got a DUI and public drunk charge laid on them, would they be suspended for the Fall semester of football?

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

Memhawk:

I am not too worried about the overall image of KU. KU has been pretty squeaky clean with off the court issues. Obviously, we don't know the conslusion to the "Sports Brawl" and will have to wait on the report. However, Self handled the Giddens situation, Giles situation, and is now handling the Morningstar situation.

UCLA just recently had this happen: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/bruin/2008/11/ucla-basketball.html

Who would have thought Bo Ryan would have had recruited players who would give the badgers a bad image: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=uwire-twouwisconsinbasketballpla&prov=uwire&type=lgns

We all know about UNC and Ty Lawson last year

JJ Reddick gave Duke some bad plublicity.

All I am saying is that timing is everything. Lawson deal made a lof headlines because like KU, UNC was preseason #1 last year. It just sucks that KU has basically had two really bad incidents back to back in a short amount of time. Yikes!

KY_Cats1 10 years, 3 months ago

Warning: Kansas Basketball – Implosion Imminent

So sweet! It just keeps getting better for the Cats each week. Not only does this continued wreck-in-progress out in Lawrence show no signs of ending anytime soon, it will only help the Cats bring in even greater recruiting classes.

How could any premiere recruit even consider going to KU with all of this drinkin’ and fightin’ goin’ on? Please someone tell these guys to stop before they give all of college basketball a bad name!

Talk about a wannabe program running amuck, someone in the Kansas administration or athletic program better step-up and get these thugs and law-breakers under control. If not, there isn’t going to be anything but walk-ons left out there by the time the season starts.

We in Big Blue Nation thank you for your support.

Go Big Blue!!!

UK Wildcats 2009-’10 NCAA Tourney Champs

Steve Gantz 10 years, 3 months ago

Taylor deserves suspension as well. His actions, just like Brady's could have led to someone else's serious injury.
And Klong, don't brush this off as a mistake. Most of us never get arrested for anything. He showed terrible judgment while sober and deserves to learn this life lesson.

Matt Bowers 10 years, 3 months ago

What Brady did was wrong, but it is not unusual. I thought that HCBS only dealt with matters relating to discipline internally? Now I would like to know what is going to happened to Tyshawn, since it is okay to throw Brady's business into the national spotlight. Seems like a double standard and I am disappointed. I still believe in you Brady and know that you will make a tremendous comeback. pin

Rock Chalk

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

KY_Cats1,

Wait to lurk until KU shaves points for gamblers and hires a coach who has run out on two burning buildings that distanced him from recruiting violations.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

tdub,

You do have a point here about some apparent assymetry in actions and punishments between Tyshawn and Brady.

My hunch is that the assymetry has something to do with stardom, but more to do with Brady violating curfew and his team obligation during boot camp, "after" Coach Self just gave the team a huuuuuuge threat about shaping up. And there is also the fact that he broke a law, whereas Tyshawn, for whatever reason, has not been charged with breaking a law...yet.

Further, Coach Self was probably just waiting for someone to misstep so he could make an example of them.

Finally, I suspect there is a very human dimension. Coach Self felt unusually betrayed by Brady. Self gave him a red shirt year. Self stuck with him all last year and frankly gave Brady the chance of a lifetime...to prove himself as a player playing out of position. Self invested a lot in Brady. Self believed in Brady when no one else did. Self thought of Brady as one of the bulwarks of the team this year, regardless of whether or not he would start. Self expected Brady to play serious minutes. Coaches are human, too. Some day Self will probably think he over-reacted. But as of today, Self feels like his players are letting him down and he plans this action to make clear that he is really ticked off. We also can't know Brady's mental outlook these days. Maybe he's having trouble dealing with the risk of losing his starting role. Maybe he just lost a girl friend. Potential starters on a number one ranked college team, fellows without a history of reckless behavior, do not tend to get drunk and take off down the Kansas Turnpike after curfew, soon after the team has been embroiled in a minor scandal. Something is probably up with Brady and Self has decided that he needs to reach Brady without fail.

rges 10 years, 3 months ago

Brady made a really really stupid decesion of course but Brady seems like a very tough kid and i am sure that he is going to come back in mid-December and play his tail off and pick up where he left off last year. He needs to keep his head up and learn from his mistakes. Coach Self made the right call my suspending him and im sure Coach Self is having a lot of fun with these guys at Boot Camp with the last couple of weeks. But all of you on here trying to compare Kansas basketball program to a Memphis, or a Louisville are flat out dumb! Check the graduation rate of Kansas basketball and Memphis basketball.... enough said!

Kent Wells 10 years, 3 months ago

jwliddell: I never drank in college. (I mostly drank in bars and such). He, he, he...

Any comments on the actions as compared between Bufford and Morningstar?

KURob 10 years, 3 months ago

I think my biggest concern here still has to be where the team leadership is off of the court with the '09-'10 Hawks. I think HCBS handled the situation well, and although nothing was handed out to TT (perhaps more to come as the investigation continues?), Self seemed legitimately concerned about where this was all headed.

What worries me is this: Brady, who until now seemed to say and do the right things on and off of the court, spent an entire summer working his butt off in California, sat through what had to have been uncomfortable team meetings and team workouts with HCBS laying out what is expected of each member of his team, yet still found himself over the limit and out WAY beyond curfew.

I'm really not trying to throw Brady under the bus, and certainly hope he can find a way to learn from all of this, but where were his teammates? If I were Sherron or Cole, I'd organize Xbox tourneys every weekend for the next few weekends, and try to keep these guys close and out of the spotlight.

Brady, Tyshawn, and almost everyone else on the basketball and football teams are paid by the University to go there, and are given the opportunity to showcase their talents, and hopefully a chance to play in the League somewhere. It isn't a right, not every college kid is given that opportunity, and I hope the players realize what they do reflects on the University much more than what Joe Fratboy does on his weekends.

With that said, I REALLY hope this is the end to all of the drama, I know HCBS has got the attention of some ears on this team, and lets get the greatest season of KU basketball underway!

100 10 years, 3 months ago

Is KY_Cats really coming on here to talk trash about drinking just after his entire basketball program for the last two years (including a month under Coach Cal) was caught getting free food & drinks & other gifts at a local Lexington pub?

Is this one toothed Kentucky 'tard serious?

KY_Cats -- if you doubt that the NCAA isn't investigating these charges, why don't you give me a response of any sort that discusses what the Lexington Herald Leader reported & what was convieniently left out of UK's self reporting of recent infractions to the NCAA.

It would make my day to hear you deny these charges...

Go ahead KY_Cat, I'm waiting to hear from you..

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

100: "Is this one toothed Kentucky 'tard serious?" That comment totally made my day!

yovoy 10 years, 3 months ago

maybe he got into trouble from tying to do the right thing?

he has a few drinks (since he's been legal for a couple of years) at a friend's in kc (those of us from around here have at least one of those), decides to "sleep it off", wakes a little bit early (he's on boot camp time afterall), gets in his car, and ignores/overlooks that stupid const site speed limit, and gets popped. he's tired, and maybe a little bit impaired by legal definition, so now his name is all over and ourSelf has to punish him for breaking curfew.

maybe not what happened, but i've been in that situation many times over the years, and it's not necessarily the case that brady was out raising hell, giving the middle-finger to everyone out and about, and the jayhawk nation at large. no one has considered that maybe he was trying to do the "right thing", and just did a poor job of trying to do it.

i'll go on record to say that i hate that construction over there. people are either going 50 (presumably to avoid being pulled-over) or they are going 80. it's dangerous because there always seems to be a bottleneck of traffic going radically different speeds. i'm sorry that brady had to be the "sacrificial lamb" in something that he didn't really start.

tyshawn should've faced stiffer penalties. no, he wasn't implicated in a crime, but his hand didn't just spontaneously break. his bonehead move led to the closer scrutiny, and brady should've been smarter than to chance it. that said, we don't know what punishment tt ultimately got. i'm sure he understands the error of his ways in the matter of the "burge brawl" and the "hoch hiccup".

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

Yovoy: I hear what you're saying and maybe Morningstar was doing the "Right Thing", but it's inexcuseable that Brady was in that situation. I mean, come on, you know Self spoke to the team about being in the National Spotlight and the reprocussions of another negative hit to the program. Even if Morningstar was doing the "Right Thing" Self has to set an example out of him quickly and sternly or reprocussions to the overall state of the basketball program start to unravel, first being the decision-making of recruits. I hate to use this example, but even before Morningstars incident it seemed like everybody involved with KU athletics was on a "Zero Tolerance" policy similar to what Myles Brand did with Bobby Knight. Maybe it was unrealistic to meet those standards that Mangino and Self set for their programs, but Morningstar is definitely being made as an example to help protect the future of the program. I don't even want to think about a possible third incident in the next few weeks or during the season because that could be catastrophic. I hear what you're saying Yovoy!

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 3 months ago

kushaw -

I think you hit the nail on the head, without really trying. We do have a relatively "squeaky clean" image from years of virtually nothing that the media or other schools' fans could exploit. Now, with these incidents so close together and after our success in football in the last few years as well as our prominence in basketball, we're like the pole that every dog likes to pee on.

I prefer to think of it as jealousy and consider it a compliment to the legacy of KU sports when we have these mouth-breathing. opposable-thumb-challenged goons invade our boards. After all, if they're posting comments here, they're not posting on their own boards, just trying to get us to respond to them. What if we were never to respond to a single post from these turds?

MrPilot 10 years, 3 months ago

No story about our football team moving up again in the rankings yet?

We're up to #16 in the AP Top 25 and #15 in the USA Today Coaches poll. We're also holding at #16 in the Harris Interactive poll. Not bad for a bye week. :-)

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

memhawk: I agree with you! There are two components here. You have news and media talking about basketball violations related the program, which in all honesty, KU has been in the media quite a bit this last decade for minor infractions. Am I going to get all hot and bothered by allegations and investigations done by the NCAA? Not really, because history has shown that KU's compliance dept is top notch and when something does go south or we are in violations, KU does a good job of "Self Reporting". I think KU has a pretty good track record in this department because KU doesn't want anything to happen again like it did back in 1989.

On the flip side, I think "Off the Court" antics are inexcuseable and can be more harmful to a programs image than anything. Yes KU has had some run-ins the last 3 or 4 years with players, but overall it's been pretty "Squeaky Clean" and when something has happened Self has taken care of it. I think Self has had a very good track record, but right now the KU players are not making it easy on Bill Self, Danny Manning, and the rest of the staff. They already work their tails, but having these two incidents in less than two weeks hit the National Media in a negative light, must irk Self to no end. It really is ashame Morningstar put himself in this situation, but I firmly believe that if the football/basketball brawl didn't happen two weeks ago that Morningstar would only be suspended a game maybe two. Unfortuantely, Morningstar, with the timing of the situation, put Self in a bad spot and he had to take action to show recruits that he is still in charge. I know Self is a "Players Coach" and I think Self and the rest of the staff will come out of this okay, but he had take a stand and do it quickly.

It really will be interesting to see the affects this has on recruiting. If I was a parent of one of these blue chippers I would have some serious concerns. My first question would be, "What kind of ship you running there at KU, Mr. Self"? I know Harrison Barnes is a smart kid and he seems to be on top of everything with academics and everything I have read, but his parents must somewhat slouching in their chairs. On the flip side, Self may be able to spin this in a way that gets the good kids like Barnes and Knight (Who are smart academically) and encourage them that they are the ones that will clean or change the image of KU basketball for the future. Who Knows? There are ways to spin everything.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 3 months ago

Best result is that the lack of Morningstar forces coach to look at p.t. for someone with more long term upside (like someone than help us in March). Perhaps Releford spiked his drink and changes the time on his watch.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 3 months ago

We need to stick by these guys during bad times since we enjoy the good times that they bring us. Let the outsider posters rail on.....keep it Crimson and Blue, close ranks and move on with lessons learned.

It isn't easy to swallow an insult but it's better than throwing back bile. Let's try to take the high road and press on!!!

suttonku 10 years, 3 months ago

Originally I thought Releford would redshirt this season, and he still might, but now with this going on I think Releford probably won't which will hurt his progress...I really hope Releford learns how to shoot because he could be a weapon on offense. Maybe Xavier can teach him a thing or two about scoring.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

jaybate news service:

Dateline Chicago:

Representatives from the Opera Windy Show indicate that Opera is taking her talk show on the road to Lawrence for a week of live broadcasts starting tomorrow, Monday, October 5. The show's producer, Wiley Piler, told jns stringers in Chicago that Opera believes the controversies swirling around the KU basketball program are going to crescendo into a perfect news storm some time late in the week.

Piler said, "Opera has a great instinct for this sort of individual and institutional dysfunction and she feels there is a good chance that the KU basketball controversies are going to cross-over from a local sports story to an emblematic story of national dysfunction very soon."

One quasi university official asked to comment said, "I'll have to get back to you on that," but then never did.

The move to Lawrence by Windy, whose show is presently combating a ratings slump, is causing a variety of other shows to consider going on the road to Lawrence, also.

Developing...

Tony Bandle 10 years, 3 months ago

iowajayhawk81

sorry,man...I didn't mean to imply that I believed KU was Knucklehead U...I meant to imply that certain unscrupulous coaches will do anything to get an advantage..my bad .

PS My hometown newspaper only prints stories about the Missouri Tigers...needless to say, I don't even open that rag!!

MemphisMachine 10 years, 3 months ago

Don't think so kugrampy.......Ugh, maybe he has a phobia, a tiger phobia, just saying.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

jaybate news service:

jns exclusive:

Morning talk show host Deregis Panderphin told jns stringers in the Big Apple late last night that a ratings dive will also motivate "Its Frickin' Live with Deregis and Shelly" to originate some broadcasts from Lawrence this week. Sources deep inside the show indicate that Deregis still has strong ties to Notre Dame and holds a grudge against KU for not letting ND hire away KU Head Football Coach Mark Mangino to lead the Irish back to respectability in college football. Sources requesting anonymity, like Panderphin's old parish priest, Monsignior Aloysius T. Vining, of Our Lady of Hail Marys and Immaculate Receptions Church in North South Bend, Indiana, indicate that Deregis, who has reputedly not been to confession since god ordered him to fire Wrathie Lea Spofford, "has ever since been burning with vengeance in his heart, despite his little person demeanor" and that "no one but the almighty himself can forgive his mortal soul for making that poor lassie, Shelly, do imitations of Wrathie Lea doing imitations of Deregis' real life wife, Maud O'Reilly Panderphin." Rumors flew NYC last night that a desperate Deregius may in fact rehire Wrathie Lea to create a threesome with he and Shelly. There is no word yet whether Maud will agree a fourth for bridge. Regardless, Father Vining assures jns that Deregius will do his best to exploit whatever problems KU is having in order to climb back up to number one in his time slot.

Another jns exclusive:

Producers of "The Evening Disinformation with Katje Urick" indicate that Katje, too, will bring her low-rated news hour to Lawrence for live broadcasts Wednesday through Sunday. Katje and her news desk and teleprompter reportedly will be raised on a rented Kansas Power and Lite cherry picker to the top of the Campanile to do her live broadcasts hoping to capitalize on what Producer Martin Bile anticipates will be a perfect news storm to hit Lawrence with full force during this Friday's Spin Cycle. The former pixie turned diminuitive news dominatrix will reportedly wear a sheer black blouse over a black quarter cup bra, black waist synch and black fish net nylons in hopes of amping ratings, while reporting on the growing scandal in Lawrence. When asked what made Bile think the scandal was growing, Bile said, "because we need it to for ratings." Bile said Katje's guest interview the second night's show will be a stunner. None other than University of Contucky Head Basketball Coach Johnny "The Squid" Calamari will sit for a full two segments of hard-hitting questions about everything but recruiting problems that occurred at the schools that he departed from just before those recruiting scandals came to a head. No word yet on what Kathe will wear.

Note: Any similarities to persons, living, dead, or in suspended animation, is purely coincidental.

The_Rooster_Cogburn 10 years, 3 months ago

Maxhawk was right.

Our reputation is heavily damaged. It's not Self's fault that he recruited Brady Morningstar. Obviously, he was a low-risk recruit/walk-on.

But the simple fact remains that Self has lost control of his team. And don't argue that this is what college kids do. Don't argue that everyone, media included, is overreacting to these events. Don't blame Keegan or any of the LJ World or 6 News staff for blowing things out of proportion. Their job is to report and provide opinions.

This is crap and you know it. Anyone who just chalks this up to being passable behavior is truly a blind fan. I've valued myself as a die-hard Jayhawk since I was six. I'll usually have words with any man who talks trash on any of our programs. But even I can't defend the utterly absurd incidents of the past month.

KU fans can and should feel obliged to request better. Obviously players don't fear consequences of their actions. They don't respect these "curfews." And they certainly haven't shown any respect for the fact that their selfish personal actions affect not only themselves, but the university they play for.

What has been projected to be one of the greatest years in the history of KU Athletics now has a disturbing tint to it.

Argue away...because I'm sick and tired of hearing our name in a negative light.

cobweb 10 years, 3 months ago

I've seen him in bars and thought he was a jerk.

rges 10 years, 3 months ago

Hey memphis machine... i dont think he has a tiger phobia since we did take that national title a lil bit ago... u remeber that? We will cya November 17th in St. Louy see if you run ur mouth as much then

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 3 months ago

I thought we all agreed not to dignify non-Jayhawk posters with responses. You're just playing into their jealous, ignorant hands when you respond.

Let it Be!

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

The_Lubricant_Logburn/MemphisVibrator,

Why you lily-livered little Kim Darby cross-dresser, you're nothing but a lurkatronic alias from Muzzurah. Once I get my Army Surplus microwave crowd control device, I'm going to plant it in your unmowed yard, amp up the microwaves and fill your pin head with voices saying, "I am being sodomized by The Antlers and I like it, master, give me more!"

Just kidding. Indolence such as yours is no crime.

Kent Wells 10 years, 3 months ago

Sodomozed by the Antlers, give me more. What is going on with this thread!?! Looks like I'm joining the party late and getting sloppy seconds.

rawkhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Self has handled this appropriately. From this, too, we must move on. I'm excited for Late Night and the season. It will be good to have Brady in the mid-season.