Monday, November 23, 2009

Mangino’s communication with Perkins has been ‘practically none’

Kansas University athletic director Lew Perkins stands on the sideline during the Jayhawks’ game against Texas on Nov. 21 in Austin, Texas.

Kansas University football coach Mark Mangino, speaking during Monday morning's Big 12 coaches teleconference, said his communication with athletic director Lew Perkins has been "practically none" since Perkins' announced an investigation into the coach's behavior last Tuesday.

Asked whether he wished there were more communication, Mangino said, “I don’t know the difference. I don’t know if there should be or shouldn’t. You always like communication with everybody, communication with your players, your coaches, your administrators, your support people. All those people. But I’m good. I’m working, and my players are really focused.

"Once again," he added, "your question perhaps should not be directed at me, if you understand what I’m saying.”

Mangino, whose team is 5-6 heading into Saturday's regular-season finale against rival Missouri, also said he would have preferred certain aspects of the investigation to be handled differently.

“If somebody’s going to have an investigation into something, that’s fine," he said. "I don’t have a problem with that. You would not like for it to be leaked out before anything has been done, even before the investigation actually starts. From that aspect, you don’t like it. But, you know, you live with it."

Mangino also reiterated that it would be unwise to assume anything about his immediate future with the program.

"It hasn't played out yet," he said. "And it's not over."

Comments

Horace 10 years, 2 months ago

MM looks classy and LP looks like a tool.

And where's the Chancellor? Sticking up for LP.

For those who thought LP could do no wrong, this situation's been an eye opener.

ginger2015 10 years, 2 months ago

"It hasn't played out yet," he said. "And it's not over."

I hate to say it coach, but yes it has and yes it is.

areyouserious 10 years, 2 months ago

its all over except the formality of the legal process.

peace and chicken grease!!!!!!

Thank you Lew! Now go find us a guy that can take us to the next level.

milehighhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

I've heard from a friend who knows this sort of thing...

The plan was to fire Mangino on Friday.

That got interrupted when the NCAA decided to investigate Lew Perkins.

I would not post this if I didn't think it was credible. Take it for what it's worth.

jhokfan 10 years, 2 months ago

I like Lew but I don't think this has been handled well. Even if Mark survives, the investigation will hurt recruiting. Should have been handled more discretely. I can’t see both Mark and Lew at KU next year. One of them will have to go.

100 10 years, 2 months ago

I posted this yesterday, albeit a bit late...

For those of us wondering who we really are -- here's the answer, for all time -- no matter what year, decade or millenium.

rastameta 10 years, 2 months ago

Milehighhawk, what exactly is the NCAA investigating with regards to Lew?

The only rumor I heard about an investigation of Lew was completely false as I think is your rumor. Why haven't we heard anything about the investigation, except for the fact that most reporters don't take the time to investigate anything. However, I do suspect that someone would have reported it by now if it were indeed true. If someone asked the NCAA if they were investigating Lew, they would have to answer the question.

rastameta 10 years, 2 months ago

Lew was put in a difficult position by the "people" that reported the accident. They were going to go to the press if Lew didn't take action. That is why it has played out like it has. Get off Lew's back. He has actually handled this quite well considering everything that I know about it so far.

rastameta 10 years, 2 months ago

FYI, I should add that I have talked to my friends in the department off the record. I trust them, but I only can get so much information and I take it for what is worth. It could come out that some of what they tell me is embellished as well. I guess we will see.

KU1992 10 years, 2 months ago

Lew will not be gone next year. He is one of the best AD's in the business and has brought KU up in almost every sport. Our facilities have improved. He won Time magazines manager of the year award a few years back here at KU. If we let him go that would be moronic... He may decide he could be in charge of a better university though, one where people can behave themselves.

jahawkdave 10 years, 2 months ago

It's a no win for Lew. If he handled this when we were winning, it's bad timing. When he handles it when we are losing, why didn't he handle it before. If he handles it during the season, why didn't he wait till after. If he handles it after the season, why didn't he handle it immediately.

Lew has been mum on this situation, he is not talking which he shouldn't be. Lew was forced into this situation and now he is dealing with it in the appropriate manner. It's not Lew that has touched or verbally abused players, it's not Lew that is writing stories and printing former players comments. Bottom line is Lew is trying to clean up a mess that Mangino has made, MM doesn't have the players respect, they wouldn't speakout against him if they respected him. It's Mangino that got the parking tickets and yelled at the parking patrol. It's MM that has the reputation of treating people poorly. It's Mangino that is head coach of a last place team on a 6 game losing streak. Blaming Lew is pretty ridiculous, this is a business and Lew is taking care of business.

The simple equation is losing + being an abusive d!ck = fired.

Horace 10 years, 2 months ago

rastameta (anonymous) said...

What you said makes sense. I'm guessing "people" = parents.

If so ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4T26x6GZEw

beebe1 10 years, 2 months ago

Anyone who puts a lot of faith in 'parents' is making the mistake! They shouuld have been left to do their thing without KU support!

babyjay1 10 years, 2 months ago

100 - thanks for posting the video. Yep, I'm a woman and looking at how proud our guys looked and how awesome it must have felt to win that game makes me a little sad to think how they must feel 365 days later. To everyone who is so sure that Lew is wrong in this, I guess I'd like to say that if you're so quick to defend MM without all the facts, isn't it possible that the opposite could be true. I'm assuming there is probably more to this than we'll ever know. I've heard coaches defend MM, which I would expect them to do publicly. I've also heard commentators on 810 sports radio talk about their "inside info" and that they have heard many on the other side, but it won't be said out loud or for the public. I certainly don't know the whole story and I certainly believe that a fb coach needs to be a tough disciplinarian. However, I also think that MM has stepped way over the line with his use of players' personal situations, difficult life circumstances, etc... and he has also called out parents. Sorry, but all of that steps over the line. You can't build these young boys up while tearing down where they come from. Nope, I'm not a guy and I've never been in that kind of environment, but I know there's a difference between discipline & respect vs verbal/emotional/physical abuse. I do expect more from a coach representing KU and that doesn't mean we need a pushover as a coach - it means we need someone who's tough but fair and can treat players and their families and others around the university with a degree of respect. Not sure that's happening right now... Just my opinion....

hawkward1 10 years, 2 months ago

For those of you with the attitude > yeah let's just get us a new coach who can take us to the next level, you are more than a bit foolish. The football program, which has been around plenty long here has not seen the consistent bowl bound success of the last few years. This isn't like > Roy left so let's go get a great coach for this stellar reputation program. Plus, football is a very large team sport and therefore much harder to put together a great team with so many more positions to fill and coach (especially when you are historically and currently toward the bottom in the Big 12). On top of that, there are plenty of other schools in the Big 12 known for football. It is EXTREMELY naïve, egotistical and lacking judgment to be of the mindset that the grass is always greener and that people are parts instantly replaceable. There's only one reason to announce an internal investigation conducted by a supposed unbiased third party (hired in Sept) with two games left -- there's not enough "inside info" to warrant a termination for cause (if there were, he'd have been gone already) and it's designed to pressure a settlement. Since we're are speculating on an innocent-until-proven-guilty man's record, let's throw another name into the equation...the Chancellor. Are we to believe she is not in some sort of academic/athletic grudge match? Perhaps MM reminded her where some of her future funding is coming from and she didn't like it. Lew is too shrewd to suddenly grow this stupid and announce and investigation that would harm the program this significantly (instead of waiting two more games and negotiate in the off season). If you have those kind of goods on someone, you fire them on the spot. Witch hunt is right.

thmdmph 10 years, 2 months ago

I have to disagree with jahawkdave. It's may be a no win situation, but Lew didn't have to make it an all lost situation. In a situation like this (which WASN'T much), what Lew can do is damage control. Instead, he totally blew this up in everybody's face. Over what? A poke in the chest in the setting of football? His personal relationship with MM? The 5 straight loses? The past incidences that happens months to years ago with the parking ticket incidences and bad rap from former players?

I appreciated what MM did for the program and KU, but with that under consideration, I was never a huge fan (no puns intended). However, in this situation, I have to defend him. He hasn't done anything that merits this treatment of being p*tch slapped on a national scene.

Lew could have done an investigation without this fiasco. There are many levels of investigations and many of which can happen internally without anybody outside knowing until further substance has been uncovered. Had he done this, nobody could say "why didn't he handle it immediately".

In the end, after this drama or circus act, KU football is going to suffer for years to come. We are destined to be a BB school. That's why I can't wait to see another Championship banner get hang in Allen Field House after this year.

thmdmph 10 years, 2 months ago

Also, don't tell me verbal abuse by a coach merits what equates to bringing a program back several decades and embarrassing an entire school.

Joseph Kuebel 10 years, 2 months ago

Joseph Kuebel 10 years, 2 months ago

you call him a wimp. you have the voice loud as a motorbike but wouldn't bust a grape in a fruitfight....

lol you called him a wimp from your computer!

LOL! YOUR REAL TOUGH! I WOULDN'T WANNA MEET YOU ON THE STREET! LOL! I MIGHT GET DUNKED ON! LOL!

From a room full of California kids, every single one just laughed at this and said "what a complete tool"

actorman 10 years, 2 months ago

Let's look at an example of how things could and should be handled. Remember a few years ago, when Darnell Jackson was going through all his tragic circumstances? Remember what Bill Self did? He flew out to Oklahoma to talk to DJ about coming back and to be a support system for him. Do you think MM would have done that in a million years??? He wouldn't have even had the chance to do that, because by the time a player left MM would have already rubbed his face in the tragic circumstances several times. MM is a tool and everyone knows it, even if they're not willing to admit it.

gongs4ku 10 years, 2 months ago

I'm willing to go out on a limb and admit most people associated with football on all levels and in all capacities are tools. What's that have to do with anything? It's a neat game to play and watch. It generally does not attract rhodes scholars. MM fits right in.

Ultimately this is all about wins and losses.

grandpa 10 years, 2 months ago

jayhawkdave and babyjay 1, I agree entirely with your comments.

KURocksChalk 10 years, 2 months ago

This is a huge mistake by Lew Perkins. It was that man that caused us to miss the Big 12 Championship Game by striking that stupid deal at arrowhead. If that game is in Lawrence, we win and go to the title game and possibly the national championship. Missed your chance, Lew, and it was not the coach's fault. Moron!

KURocksChalk 10 years, 2 months ago

Furthermore, I think Lew Perkins made the job much, much, harder for the football coach of Kansas University, whoever that is in the end. Maybe that was by design, hoping that in the face of more difficult recruiting, insecurity with assistant coaches who wonder who they really work for, and players who perceive they have a neutered coach, that under those circumstances Mangino would choose to leave...or the program gets worse and LP can get more support for firing MM. If that is so, and it is found out, Lew Perkins should ride the rail out of town...with help. Maybe we should help HIM make that decision. If it is you or MM, I choose MM. For most of us, there is football and bball (sorry, folks, but true). Bill can run his program without your help, thank you. MM can too, so back off or the train is coming. You are the one who is replaceable and no one will know the difference.