Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Holy Cross search includes KU’s Dooley

Kansas University assistant basketball coach Joe Dooley remains on Holy Cross’ list of candidates for its vacant head coaching opening, ESPN.com’s Andy Katz reported Monday.

Katz says Holy Cross athletic director Dick Regan interviewed Boston College associate head coach Pat Duquette on Monday. He said Regan has already talked with Dooley, former Boston University coach Dennis Wolff, Notre Dame assistant Sean Kearney and Pitt associate head coach Tom Herrion.

Comments

eastTXjayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

Good luck Joe. Would be a difficult decision any time, but especially this year considering the Hawks potential...one would certainly find out how strong the lure of being a head coach really is.

jayhawkinATL 5 years, 2 months ago

If Dooley leaves, should Self add Gillespie to the staff???

Joe Baker 5 years, 2 months ago

Crap, I knew Dooley was going soon, just not this soon! Good question jayhawkinatl !!! I think it would be great to help get Billy back into a good coaching situation. The man can recruit. What a coaching threesome: Self, Manning and Billy!! I like the idea.

DSommersby 5 years, 2 months ago

Hope we can retain Coach Dooley for a little longer - especially through this year. I think another super year on the resume could bolster his future even more and make him a hotter target for programs with more long term and every year viability than Holy Cross.

Be patient Joe!

Joe Baker 5 years, 2 months ago

good point too DSommersby!! Good things, right?

Andy Hess 5 years, 2 months ago

he may actually be taking a pay cut if he goes to Holy Cross. if that's the case, lets hope his love of winning overrides his desire to be a head coach! either way, think hard Dooley!

KANSTUCKY 5 years, 2 months ago

I don't think we can afford Gillespie's 6 Million dollar contract unless we can get the alumni to pony up. Nice sentiment though.

Joe Baker 5 years, 2 months ago

I really think Dooley stays and gets that extra NC that will increase his marketability. If he can get Holy Cross with one NC, where could he go with two NCs. I think he'd be smart to wait it out this year and weigh his options at the end of the year. I'm afraid KANSTUCKY is right, too much $$$ involved!! We're not going to give him the money and strap our program, unless of course Lew can work his magic.

Whatever happened with BG's UK settlement?

nurseiv30 5 years, 2 months ago

Don't feel this would be a positive step for Coach Dooley. His visibility and credentials certainly put him at a much higher level on the national coaching ladder than Holy Cross. It is nice to be wanted...and coveted...but there is a much better job for him "out there" should he wish to move on from KU. I hope he stays here for another season or two...but, he deserves his shot as a HC...Good luck Joe...Hope you stay for your second National Championship ring!

Jaminrawk 5 years, 2 months ago

If Dooley gets the job, Self will just promote Barry Hinson. Hinson would deserve it too.

jayhawkinATL 5 years, 2 months ago

If Gillespie wins his lawsuit with UK, he may not require that much $$$. Hell, he may even settle for a restricted-earnings position. OK, wishful thinking, I know.

jaybate 5 years, 2 months ago

If Dooley goes to Holy Cross, I hope the first thing he does is stencil on the hard wood there: "Bob Cousy Court." More than any single man alive, Bob Cousy was the tipping point between the old game and the new game in basketball's history. If youc are about basketball, read his Wikipedia entry. His is a truly inspiring story of overcoming adversity and overcoming the status quo thinking in the game to show what could be. It makes me sad to see all these superior athletes of today being taught not to use the French pastry. Nash is really the only current confectioner in the contemporary game. Cousy and Magic proved long ago that French pastry has its place in a well rounded game. Offense must always at least pose the threat of the unexpected, of attack in the unorthodox path, or the defense can concentrate on the orthodox. Just as fancy tactics are no substitution for poor execution, great execution is no substitute for fancy tactics. Both ought to be embraced to maximize effectiveness.

Joel Hood 5 years, 2 months ago

KANSTUCKY (anonymous) says... "I don't think we can afford Gillespie's 6 Million dollar contract..."

Would someone clarify this statement? Why would Gillespie's next employer be required to pay him an amount equal to what UK was paying him?

kvskubball 5 years, 2 months ago

At first, I was inclined to think this wouldn't be a good fit for Dooley, but then I did a little research to see if the facts backed my intuition. Holy Cross has been very competitive in the Patriot League. Willard was there for 9 years, and only 2 of the league's other 7 coaches have been there less than 5 years. I think that shows that schools in the league give coaches time to grow.

Of the top 8 players (in minutes played) only two were seniors last year. The team average was 1.6 years of experience at the beginning of last year, so the team has good experience.

So, the picture looks pretty good for a Patriot League job, and not bad for a coach's first head coaching job, but it wouldn't appear to be a fast-track position. It would sort of be the kind of path that Coach Self took. His first head coaching gig was at Oral Roberts, which was a lifeless program when he took over. Then moving to Tulsa, then Illinois, and KU. Pretty good job path...

However, I don't believe that Dooley is as young as Self was(?), so maybe he'd be better off waiting for a higher profile job, in a better conference. Like a TU job (Which was a really hot place for good young coaches when Coach Self went there) versus an ORU job.

If he waits, he might be able to land a job in a better conference like the A-10 or Conference USA, but on the other hand, good jobs in those conferences are harder to come by, without head coaching experience.

All in all, I guess, I'd say that it probably would be a good starting place for him. He could wait another 3 years without getting an offer for a good school in a better conference to come calling.

Janks landed in a pretty good situation at Ill. State, and has done well there. Holy Cross might be a similar situation for Dooley?

I think he'll be able to succeed in the Patriot at Holy Cross. It won't have last place talent.

Good luck Coach Dooley, whatever you decide!

DocBean 5 years, 2 months ago

Jaybate,

No one cares. Go on jeopardy; we'll all root for you.

jayhawk2062 5 years, 2 months ago

Will someone please put jaybate to sleep....yet another diatribe of wisdom from a guy that actually said he didn't want to go to KU football due to the time of the game???

Joe Dooley will stay at KU because Holy Cross is in the Patriot League for starters, and he will make more money and gain more exposure at Kansas than he ever would at Holy Cross. They play in a high school gym, with no facilities and admission standards are far too high to get the kind of players that Dooley is great at getting. Good students (not exceptional) that can really play basketball.

It's important to note, that Ralph Willard resigned from the Holy Cross job, because the top assistant job at Louisville is better than the head coaching job at Holy Cross.

Seems simple to me.

KULA 5 years, 2 months ago

After that quote from Tim Floyd a couple weeks ago, I'm surprised USC didn't express any interest in Joe.

Jaminrawk 5 years, 2 months ago

I think when you are lobbying for your first HC job, you take what ever is available. Dooley is a quality guy and I think he can take a team like Holy Cross (in spite of the strict academic standards) and make them a force in the Patriot League.

Aligned 5 years, 2 months ago

Coaching vacancies are a reality every year. For Joe, this boils down to one simple question: Will his stock be higher or lower after the ’09 - ’10 season.

No brainer, really.

Joel Hood 5 years, 2 months ago

Ummmm, this wouldn't be Joe's first head coaching stint. I'm sure if offered the job, he will make a good decision for himself & family.

"....Before joining the University of New Mexico basketball program, Dooley was the head coach at East Carolina University in Greenville, N.C., for four seasons from 1995-96 through 1998-99...." http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/dooley_joe00.html

TtownHawk 5 years, 2 months ago

don't know if this has been said, but even if he doesn't get this job his name is going to keep coming up on coaching vacancy lists until he does get one. One of the perks of coaching on a great team

BPSkelly 5 years, 2 months ago

If Joe Dooley is offered the job he should take it.

I DONT want him to go, but your an assistant on the trail for a big time program... with the goal of becoming a Head Coach at some point.

The Patriot league is a good coaches league too.

For selfish reasons I hope he stays... but he should do whats best for him. Which maybe staying in Lawrence.

jaybate 5 years, 2 months ago

DocGarbonzo,

Perhaps you are right, but they ought to care. Kansas fans who do not care about the Holy Cross legacy of Bob Cousy are as pathetic as Holy Cross fans who do not care about the KU legacy of Wilt Chamberlain. The game of basketball was once one of many forces that helped rolled back the suffocating narrow-mindedness of provincialism in America for a time. If you are correct, provincialism has now rolled back in with a vengeance. Say it ain't so, DocGarbanzo, say it ain't so.

jaybate 5 years, 2 months ago

jayhawk2062,

You make me a fan of euthanasia.

Kent Wells 5 years, 2 months ago

Jaybate,

Why are you a fan of youth in Asia? It seems there are a lot of kids right here in the USA you could root for...

Mike Bratisax 5 years, 2 months ago

A very interesting question jayhawkinatl... LMAO@(rimshot!)

Sally Presson 5 years, 2 months ago

I think everyone cares!!! I'd hate to lose Dooley, but if this is best for him, he's been a tremendous coach for KU and that's what these guys shoot for being a head coach. I hope he stays