Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Morningstar out 4-6 weeks with stress fracture

Kansas University junior basketball guard Brady Morningstar had surgery Tuesday to repair a stress fracture in the fifth metatarsal of his right foot.

Morningstar, who had a screw inserted in his foot, said he’ll be on crutches the next two weeks and be out of action four to six weeks.

“Rather than tell him to take time off, we were pretty proactive with it and went ahead and did a minor surgical procedure,” KU coach Bill Self said. “He should be back on the court in July.”

Recent X-rays revealed the stress fracture, which was causing Morningstar discomfort on the court.

“It’s something that happens over a period of time,” Morningstar said of wear and tear on the foot. “It was sore. They X-rayed it and took care of it. It’s disappointing, but the important thing is being ready for the season.”

Morningstar this summer had hoped to work out for a month with college and pro players in San Francisco.

“He may not be full speed when he goes out there, but that’s still on his schedule,” Self said.

Morningstar’s surgery was performed by a member of KU’s medical team in Lawrence. KU’s policy is to not reveal the name of the doctor.

Comments

jaybate 4 years, 10 months ago

I know everyone is gung ho on Xavier, but for me Brady is money in the bank, and this stress FX feels like someone just did an overdraft. Gosh, I hope he's going to be okay this season. His three gun is going to be a powerful tool that this team will need.

Lance Hobson 4 years, 10 months ago

We know 4-6 weeks with a stress fracture actually means 3-4 months.

97jhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Dr. Jeffrey Randall probably stitched him up. He's a great doctor. He fixed up my broken leg and did a number of other surgeries for b-ball and football. He's an awesome guy too. Went to med school at Harvard if I recall and was on the Florida Gator staff as well at one point.

Rick Arnoldy 4 years, 10 months ago

"The sports information department needs to persuade the networks to do a segment on her and broadcast it during a nationally televised game. "

NO!!!! She's our secret weapon. Let's keep her a secret.

KGphoto 4 years, 10 months ago

The Bolder Boulder website helps you train to run their 10k. One of the first and most important steps is wear your new running shoes around for about a week before you do any serious running with them, or you could be risking any number of injuries. Including stress fractures.

You don't think about it. You buy a new pair of shoes and they feel great. Remember as a kid telling mom that you think you can run faster in your new kicks?

So I wonder if they use brand new shoes too often. With the shoe contracts and availability of new stuff at this level, Nike and Adidas etc. are probably throwing new products at them, just for the exposure.

The Boulder trainers I've talked to say the most common problems (among runners) they see are caused by worn out shoes or brand new shoes that haven't been properly broken in. We're talking about hundreds if not thousands of pretty serious runners that, for some reason, just never knew. So it's seems possible anyway, that a team could over look this.

jayhawkintexas 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't think that Andrea Hudy gets as much credit as she deserves. She is a great strength and conditioning coach and I hope we never lose her. I give her as much credit for the national championship and other successes we have had as I do Coach Self and the other coaches. The sports information department needs to persuade the networks to do a segment on her and broadcast it during a nationally televised game. She is not at fault for the stress fractures or any other injury--they just happen to some people.

The twins putting on weight is a good sign. They are going to need to bulk up even more to bang with the big guys in the league and the tournament.

esteshawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Ponder this: how many programs do fans actually know the name of the strenght and conditioning coach? And now for the sexist part: I bet Hudy being a women helps motivate the boys. Can you imagine these young guys being teased by a "girl?" That's gotta be good for a few extra reps, especially since she can probably outbench most of them.

NotWiller 4 years, 10 months ago

I blame Al Quaeda. Clearly they have a sleeper cell in Columbia bent on destabilizing feet and shins in our region.

Al Quaeda in Mizzou-a-potamia is a serious threat. Don't worry, though. Andrea Hudy is a top agent of the Dept. of Homeboy Stability, so Brady's in good hands.

esteshawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Hudy is doing great. Another article here says the twins have each put on 25-30 pounds in the weight room. They'll be ready for banging around for rebounds.

justinryman 4 years, 10 months ago

Stress fractures can happen to anyone, its not caused by a lack of anything, it due to the use. I for one wish Brady a quick recovery and place the blame on genetics over any one person.

Michael Mulvihill 4 years, 10 months ago

ever think its the amount of work they are putting in that is causing this and not the team doc?

LAJayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

stravinsky,

I have to disagree. All you need is a little Tussin.

Brady, just pour some Tussin on it.

suttonku 4 years, 10 months ago

we have had a lot of stress fractures...i think shady had one, sherron, Little, and now Morningstar

stravinsky 4 years, 10 months ago

Everybody knows to heal ACLs you just rub a cocktail of neosporin and icy hot on it and then you're good to play a week later. Seriously missed the memo on that one. And stress fractures? Obviously Brady needs to relax and not have so much stress in his life.

Rookie mistake.

patton6 4 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, I don't know guys...sure sounds to me like she's an amateur. I mean, it took her almost a half a year to help Brandon Rush come back from a simple ACL tear. And now she's not preventing stress fractures... Let's get someone with some "capabilities" in there.

LakeShawnee 4 years, 10 months ago

Yes, with the many national championship rings she collected from years at Connecticut and KU, I'm sure she has no idea what she is doing....

RockChalkGuy 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm starting to wonder about Hudy's (sp?) capabilities. There sure are a lot of injuries around the team.