Kansas defeats UCLA, 73-61

• 4:30 p.m., Dec. 6, 2009
  • Los Angeles, Calif.,

Monday, December 7, 2009

Markieff answers Self’s call

Kansas forward Markieff Morris defends a shot by UCLA guard Michael Roll during the first half, Sunday, Dec 6, 2009 at Pauley Pavilion. At right is UCLA guard Malcolm Lee.

Audio clips

2009 KU-UCLA

Markieff Morris pushes KU past UCLA

KU sophomore forward Markieff Morris scored a career-high 19 points as KU topped UCLA, 73-61, on the road.

Reader poll

Who is KU's most improved player from last year?

• Marcus Morris 19% 45 votes
  • Markieff Morris 75% 172 votes
  • Tyrel Reed 3% 7 votes
  • Other 1% 3 votes

227 total votes.

— Markieff Morris played as if he had something to prove on Sunday in Pauley Pavilion.

• Not to any of the NBA scouts on hand for the matchup of historic programs Kansas and UCLA.

• Not to any of the beautiful people in the stands.

Instead, his play was directed at a guy who sees him every day — coach Bill Self, who gave the 6-foot-9, 232-pound sophomore power forward a stern talking-to at practice Friday.

“Coach was kind of screaming. I took it,” said Morris, who explained the problem thoroughly after scoring a career-high 19 points in the Jayhawks’ 73-61 victory over UCLA.

“He felt like since we are No. 1 and since we are beating teams so bad, once we play somebody good I’d be too relaxed. I took that and ran with it. I had to tell him I will not be too relaxed any more, even in practice and games.”

Morris — his previous scoring high was 11 against Tennessee Tech on Nov. 27 — said he has been called worse things than relaxed.

“Coach calls me lazy all the time because I’m so laid-back,” Morris said after a 21-minute effort that included six rebounds and two steals. “I say I’m not lazy, I’m laid-back.”

Meanwhile, the other half of the Morris duo, Marcus, said he also experienced Self’s wrath on Friday.

“He challenged our manhood, He said we were reading our news clips. I don’t even read them at all,” Marcus said after scoring four points off 2-of-7 shooting with nine rebounds in 26 minutes. “I felt we showed him a little more today.”

Marcus, unlike Markieff, offered a specific reason for Self’s anger at practice on the same day the squad flew to Southern California.

“We were going after a rebound and one of the guys on my team grabbed my arm to grab the rebound. I just stopped. Coach looked at me like, ‘Why did you stop?’

After that (he said), ‘On the line,’’’ Marcus added, referring to Self forcing the brothers to run sprints as punishment.

“It was late in practice. We were doing it together,” he added of acting too relaxed. “Coach doesn’t like when me and Kieff kid around. If one of us was doing it, it might not be as bad. If we are both doing it, it’d be two times worse.

“Coach is always right,” Marcus added. “He always knows what he is doing. He knows if I have to change.”

The moral of that story might be: whatever works.

And the coaching did pay off.

Markieff scored off a variety of inside moves, including hitting a left-hand baby hook taught to him by assistant Danny Manning. He made eight of 11 floor shots and three of five free throws. He clanged his final two charities with nine minutes left — the free throws that would have let Markieff pass his brother’s career high of 19 set against Oakland on Nov. 25.

“He said he knew I was going to miss them (free throws) when I went to the line,” Markieff said of Marcus. “I don’t know why I missed them. I usually get one out of two. I wish I would have made them. I would have rubbed it in his face if I made them.

“We have a lot of fun with that. Now we’ve just got to wait and see who can break 20.”

Marcus countered: “He definitely did copy me with 19. I had a little more rebounds though.”

As to why Markieff exploded for 19 ...

“He just had a knack for the ball, I think,” Marcus said. “He took it as a challenge as far as they didn’t give him any respect when they doubled Cole (Aldrich) and single-covered him. Coach told us that that might happen, and that might happen down the road, because Cole’s a great player. “

Markieff was more than willing to make the Bruins pay for doubling Aldrich.

“Sherron (Collins, 14 points, four assists) talked about it. And Cole told me, ‘You’re going to have to go to work because they’re doubling me a lot,” Markieff said. “I said, ‘Just get me the ball, and I’ll do it.’ Even if it’s just me driving, getting other players shots or drawing the defense toward me, and that’s what I did.”

Collins and Markieff communicated well.

“Sherron told me, ‘Just let the defender get behind you, and I’ll just throw it into you, and you can work from there.’ He was just telling me, ‘You’re going to have to make plays because they’re doubling Cole,’’’ Markieff said.

“He just put the ball in my hands, and after the game, he told me he was proud of me. He said, ‘You could do that more, but not a lot of teams are going to double Cole.”

Self said Markieff Morris “was our best player no question. I thought he played terrific. He was really aggressive.”

Thanks in large part to some coaching on Friday.

Comments

JHWKNMIZRY 4 years, 11 months ago

"NOTE TO SELF" Watch the yelling and screaming at your players. You're only a losing season away from the unemployment line. lol

Ben Kane 4 years, 11 months ago

get the feeling that Cole will be doubled a lot this year.

leonard 4 years, 11 months ago

Not a complaint...just an observation.

The meme from the twins that they're not lazy, just laid back, is getting a bit tiresome. The fact that coach Self has to keep lighting a fire under their butts to get them to perform speaks to a lack of toughness...mentally and physically.

I really like the improvement from the twins...but it's not too much to ask that they go all out for a couple of hours a day...in practice or games...and it shouldn't rely on pyrotechnics from the coach.

eastcoasthawk 4 years, 11 months ago

"He challenged our manhood." Hell Lew is going to keep Lori busy again.

NH_JHawk 4 years, 11 months ago

I really like both the Morris' game so far this year. Bigger and stronger, they have much better footwork and presence in the paint. The biggest criticism I have is when they are impatient on offensive and attempt the 3 ball with too few passes. I saw this again yesterday when Mk threw up a 3 from the top of the key and shot an absolute brick. I'm still not totally sold on them shooting the 3.

rawkhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

Markieff, you da man. Great game yesterday. Good job stepping up as UCLA double-teamed Cole.

We're coming into the thicker part of our schedule. I predict more intensity all around.

yates33333 4 years, 11 months ago

I assume even the stupid administration at KU would fire Lew and Lori before Self. In fact I suspect the regents would fire the university chancellor or president before Self. They should.

To serious matters. Where has Aldrich's scoring, his shot gone? Why do opponents drive around our guards so much more easily this year? I can't see that TT has bulked up that much. I guess Collins will always get hyper at some point in the game. He is a marvelous shooter, however, and when under control the ideal ball handler. I think the front line defense is very good, especially this early in the season. I hope Morningstar is the glue guard we need back. I also hope he has had his fill of hooch.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 11 months ago

1) Offense: Well, this was not a "Pretty" offensive effort by the Jayhawks. Usually, the defense jumpstarts the offense, but I really didn't think there was much intensity on the defensive end to really get anything going on offense. Something isn't right with the offense, but I noticed when Tyrel Reed got a good stretch of minutes in the second half while Tyshawn Taylor was on the bench was when the Jayhawks played the best.

I really don't think the offense is "Flowing" with Tyshawn Taylor on the court. I thought EJ also played well in his limited minutes. I thought when Reed and EJ were on the court that the offense ran more smoothly with Collins. One last thing on the offensive end, I noticed that Cole Aldrich is gettting double teamed on every "Touch". Cole just needs realize that being double-teamed is part of the baggage that comes with being the type of player he is. He can't get frustrated and just accept that the double-team is allowing somebody else to score his points.

2) Defense: I thought the defense lacked "Intensity" the entire game. I thought Pauley was absolutely dead, but you have to create energy somehow and Kansas didn't do it on their own today. Defense is what gets KU clicking on all cylinders and it just wasn't there tonight. One thing that is really frustrating me is the double team by KU in the post. Huh? I don't get it and I don't like it. KU's bigs are good enough that they can play straight up so I don't understand this nonsense that Self is calling on "D".

3) Markieff Morris: I thought Kieff played great! He was everywhere on the boards and played within himself on offense. I can't remember if it was Kieff or Marcus who took the 3 at the top of the key in the first half, but I thought it was a bad shot. If was Kieff who took it, I am still not completely convinced he can hit that shot on a consistent basis. Kieff played great and I am very encouraged about the rest of the season for him.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 11 months ago

4) Marcus Morris: I thought Marcus missed a couple of shots he should have made, but Marcus was all over the glass as he pulled down 9 boards. His brother played great so not much offense was needed from him, but I thought Marcus also played really well today.

5) Cole Aldrich: I am not worried about Cole on Defense at all. He was a little slow in his rotation, but I thought Cole played great on "D". On offense as I said above, Cole just needs to realize he is getting double teamed. That is the one fundamental difference from last year is that Cole was rarely double teamed.

He is getting doubled on every touch and he just needs to get rid of the ball and swing it crisply. Cole just has to have the mindset that he is allowing somebody else to score because of his presence. One he understands that I think KU will get the ball moving better.

6) X: X is playing "OK". He is shooting great and I love it. He drove the ball early in the second half and got called for a charge and I thought that was a bad call. I can live with that. He missed a couple of lay-ups that he needs to finish. He was being a little too "Carefree" with the basketball again by trying to make a one handed "Lazy" pass (He had 4 turnovers). Self will correct that.

I also think X's "D" is awful right now. He is slow to rotate on everything and he got killed on the boards tonight. X should have had a double-double today. He got beat to at least 5 possible boards by a UCLA offensive rebound. It is pretty bad that this UCLA got 15 offensive rebounds against KU. That is sad and X was a big reason for that today.

7) Shrron Collins: Collins did not shoot the ball particuarly well today, but I thought Collins decision making was the worst I've seen in a couple of years. KU starts and moves with Collins so when he is in a funk although minor so will the rest of the team. I thought Collins was in a funk today. He has got to make sure the team keeps that intensity for every game. KU definitely lacked intenstiy in many portions of the game today.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 11 months ago

8) Tyrel Reed: I thought Reed had another sound performance. Nothing great, but very consistent. He gave up a couple offensive boards, but Reed is shooting the ball very consistently. This is a very good sign for KU. KU's offense IMO was more effective when Reed was on the court for the majority of the second half.

9) Tyshawn Taylor: Taylor is a heck of player, but he is caught in "No Man's Land" at the moment. I don't know what to do with Taylor, but I think bringing him off the bench would be better. As I said above, I think Reed in the ballgame is allowing the offense to "Flow" better. Taylor is still reckless with the ball. I don't know, I am very confused by Taylor's play.

10) EJ: I was shocked to only see 4 minutes of play from EJ because I thought he played more than that, but I thought the offense was pretty good when he was in the ballgame. I thought his defense intensity was the best on the team. EJ will get there and hopefully more minutes from Self.

11) Thomas Robinson: What else can I say but 1 minute of playing time? He wasn't ready to play when stepped on the court. He missed that lay-up and that was all you saw of Robinson the entire game. This was a learning experience for him.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 11 months ago

One last thing, I am ready for this team to start playing ball "Without Thinking". I was having trouble finding the words, but everything seemed so programmed on offense yesterday. I think Tyshawn is doing too much "Thinking" and not going out there to have fun playing ball. Have fun fellas and the "Flow" will correct itself.

Phoggin_Loud 4 years, 11 months ago

Since someone mentioned Mangino, I heard today that Houston Nutt is interested in the KU HC position.

Can anyone confirm this??

Tony Bandle 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm with kushaw...the Hawks almost seemed bored yesterday. They literally turned it on and off as the situation required. This may work against smaller or undermanned schools but look out for the big boys.

Granted, it's early but having seen Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Syracuse and Purdue play, at this stage of the season, I would be hard-pressed to say the Hawks are way ahead of anybody and may be a little behind some.

The good news is the developement potential on Kansas is scary and if they reach their potentials, they will be dominant!!!

KUFan90 4 years, 11 months ago

• We have to make teams pay, pay, and pay again for doubling Cole. If we average close to 20 ppg combined from the twins, teams will have to think twice about that strategy. I'm sure Self is drilling that into their heads. I think Cole is very effective at recognizing the double and passing out.

• Taylor's turnovers are his biggest liability right now. I noticed how flat his passes into the post were. They are easy targets for the defender to pick off when our big has his defender on his back. Taylor needs to get more loft on those passes...that would have converted 3 turnovers into easy buckets. I'm sure Self will be on him for that and seems like it should be correctable.

• kushaw : I liked your analysis but disagree on Collins. I thought he had a very effective game and had no issues with his decision making. He was the leader out there yesterday that we need him to be.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 11 months ago

KUfan90: Collins is still Collins and I am not worried about him going forward, but this was the worst game I have seen him play in a couple of years. I understand what Collins is doing on the court by allowing the other guys to come into their own (I think that is great and the true sign of a leader), but I don't want Collins to become complacent when he isn't playing the 'Pit Bull" or "Aggressive" style he was accustomed to last year.

Even though Collins had just two turnovers he had a terrible lob pass, but his body language when he made the pass was what concerned me. Collins was a litte short on some of his jumpers and I can live with that, but the jump ball when going into the lane was a poor decison. I am being nit-picky with Collins because I am so use to seeing great things from him, but I don't want Collins to be complacent or standing around the perimeter because he is allowing others to come into their own.

Collins, just the way he was feeling himself through the season last year as the go to guy is doing the exact same thing in this role this year. I think it's amazing how many different identities Collins has played in his 4 years at KU. It truly is amazing, but I don't want Collins to lose that "Attitude" or "Cockiness" he has exhibited in the past. Collins is passing more than ever, but I don't think he has to sacrifice his aggressiveness in order to do that.

distracted 4 years, 11 months ago

Not sure if I read this wrong, but did Kieff say that Marcus came up to him and told him he was going to miss the free throws right before he went to the line? Nice. Gotta love teammates jinxing each other during a game. I also like how he seems content with shooting 50%...

Regardless, I love the way they're playing this season. I'd like to impose a rule on them though: If they look down at their feet and don't see the paint of the lane, they shouldn't shoot the ball (especially if less than three passes have been made).

MGJayhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

Kushaw -

Tyrel should rarely see the floor when Brady comes back. He struggles on D and is only a threat on O if he's shooting 3's well. Him and Brady could probably have equal shooting percentages if given the same number of opportunities. The key difference is that Brady plays better D. He can shut down the best players on opposing teams because he is longer and quicker. Reed is too one dementional. How can you say he is shooting the ball well? If your only attribute is to make 3's, you should make 50% of them when wide open. If he doesn't improve drastically for next year then I can't see HCBS giving him many minutes if other guys are developing in front of him.

This is all my opinion but I have to disagree with you on TR

keith horinek 4 years, 11 months ago

I thought we played well in the first half but played poorly in the second half as we played to UCLA's level. I would have liked to see both the Morris twins and Cole in at the same time. I think that would have severly overpowered UCLA to the point they would have cried "uncle" and backed off.

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 11 months ago

practice passing this week everybody, lobs were lookin sloppy. markieff, stay hungry man, lookin good. I feel like the team attitude may need a little adjustment in some way, i think weve been a little complacent or something.

NotWiller 4 years, 11 months ago

I agree that Sherron was way off his best.

I love Sherron's fight and his "drive" to go strong to the hoop. But Sherron FORCES it too much IMO, and I think that a lot of folks forget too quickly all times things go wrong when he forces it too much. Sherron gets a ton of positive press for the several times each game when he makes magic happen with his drives, but I'd like to see a more honest accounting system where we also look at all the times he drives w/ his head down into tons of traffic that's 8 inches taller than he is and he gets stuffed or just loses the ball. The bad probably doesn't even out the good, but some nights it comes pretty close. There needs to be a higher "spectacular" to "bull in a china shop" ratio than what he shows on a number of nights.

I'm concerned w/ TT's play, but it's Sherron's decision making that is a key for us. We have guys to take up the slack for TT if needed, but Sherron has the ability to take this ship down with him on any given night, and he needs to be much more consistent at making good decisions. I ain't saying he has to be perfect, but I do think the bungled, forced drives should be looked at right next to the spectacular ones. His turnovers don't look bad at all, and he very, very rarely loses the ball while running the show, but the stuffs he takes don't count as turnovers, and in these situations they should.

I can NEVER not love the guy that pulled off the save/three pointer combo and then a minute later miraculously got the ball into Mario's hands.....but you can't evaluate performance by picking and choosing what plays you pay attention to.

The question I have to ask, a month into the season, is (God, I hate to say this, but when you love something you have to be honest): could our Hawks at this point handle what Kensucky or NC put out there on Saturday? Can we look like Texas did against USC? We've looked as god as these teams, but it's been against cupcakes. Our backcourt isn't at all where it should be, shooting is inconsistent, as it the defense. It's a bummer our very solid pre-Christmas schedule has gone to pot (UCLA, Michigan, and Cal all tanking), so I love it that HCBS is all over these guys in practice. They have to find intensity and consistency w/out playing much of a schedule, and that's a very, very hard thing to do.

Yes, there's a lot of time left, but if that's the story you're telling yourself, you're asking for a pounding. Patience is a virtue when working w/ a young team, but this isn't a "young" team. This is the pre-season-#1-returning-everybody-and-adding-incredible-recruits-supposed-to-dominate team. And we don't look as good as the upstarts at you-know-where. And don't go rattling off numbers from Hofstra or Alchorn State.....

NotWiller 4 years, 11 months ago

And.....

I couldn't be less concerned about Cole. Cole, IMO, is totally prepared to dominate when he needs to. In fact, I like that he's not dominating now, as it gives our other bigs more time/experience for the tests that lay ahead. Cole has separated himself from the concerns that tend to pop up around most of the rest of the squad. TT, Sherron, the twins getting lazy, can Reed hit the shot......these type of concerns don't apply to Cole.

And ENOUGH of the Self/Mangino comparisons. They're silly, cheap, unproductive, and they only show that the posters have no idea what goes into coaching at this level.

Phoggin_Loud 4 years, 11 months ago

I thought it was a nice, solid win. Any time you can go on the road and win against a program like UCLA, you have to be happy. It was a little sloppy at times, but I never thought the game was in doubt. This was a good December win.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 11 months ago

MGJayhawk: You know exactly what you're getting with Tyrel Reed. I think Tyrel's defense has been pretty darn good this season. You are right, I think Morningstar is a better defender than Reed, but KU won't see Morningstar for another month. By the way, I can't wait for Morningstar to get back in the "Flow".

To answer your question, "How can I say Reed is shooting the ball well"?...........That is very easy, Reed started the season terribly by missing his first 5 or 6 attempts and now he is knocking down shots consistently shooting 48% from the field and 9-23 (40%) from the arc. If you take out Reed's first two games he has shot the ball right at 50 percent from the arc (9-17 or 9-18 depending on how many he missed to start the season).

You may not like the fact that Reed doesn't have any "Flash" or "Pizazz (SP?)" to his game, but Reed is very effective for the Jayhawks and by the looks of the second half yesteday the entire Jayhawks offense was much better when he was in the game. Superstars like Collins, X, and Aldrich love playing with a guy like Tyrel Reed. He knows his responsibility, has good basketball IQ, and is almost too unselfish to a fault. Love him, hate him, one dimensional or not, Reed is providing much needed stability for the Jayhawks at the moment.

As for TR, which I think you're referring to Thomas Robinson, I am not sure what you can deduce from a minute of play. IMO he wasn't ready to play, missed a lay-up, and therefore sat the rest of the game. I think Self is trying to make a point and I think it's a learning lesson for him. I love "TR" and I think it will just be a matter of time before he figures it all out.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 11 months ago

kushaw.....are you at work??? If so, can I get a job there too? This is great!!

Chris Shaw 4 years, 11 months ago

Notwiller: Great post! To answer your questions about UNC and UK. I think KU would most definitely be able to handle what UK or UNC put out there Saturday. I don't think either team looked very good. Young frantic play speaks volumes and there was no defense being played in that game or at least a structured defense.

As for Texas, they have only put together one half per ballgame so it's hard to a feel for their team. I am not worried about Texas. KU playing on the road is a "Win Win" IMO come Feb. 8th in Austin.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 11 months ago

oakvillejhawk: I do real estate and I am a stay at home Dad. I do stuff on my own time and answer to nobody except my wife. LOL!

Ben Kane 4 years, 11 months ago

kushaw,

you hiring?

I agree again. UK and UNC didn't look that great (Wall sure does though). Texas scares me but with the game being in Austin, I don't think a loss would really hurt us.

BigBlue4KU 4 years, 11 months ago

Morningstar and Withey are back after the first semester ends. I believe they are both back for the December 19 game.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 11 months ago

Joe Baker 4 years, 11 months ago

Yes Bigblue! I know Withey will be back. I'm not sure about BM. He may be back against Temple. Not completely sure either...

NotWiller 4 years, 11 months ago

KU-Texas is arguably THE regular season game in ALL of college basketball for the 2009-10 season. Anyone that's not hungry for that win is lazy in a way that makes 'Kiefk's practice last Friday look like an MVP performance.

chuckberry32 owes us 20 Hail Morris' and 10 Our Phog-ers!!!!

NotWiller 4 years, 11 months ago

Repent, chuckberry32!!! Repent now, before you pull us all down into "satisfactory" basketball!!!

Rockchalk_Mom 4 years, 11 months ago

Isn't it refreshing to see that Sherron has finally learned not to lower his shoulder and drive to the basket and getting the charge called? Nothing infuriated me more the past 3 yrs.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 11 months ago

dagger108 (anonymous) says... I scratch my head about bloggers with a dozen observations from a game that take multiple posts to present, even Jaybate, but didn't make it past the point of calling out Coach Self for questionable D strategies - LOL.

Apparently, you are calling me out, but not quite 100 percent sure ( I would say about 98 percent correct). Because you spent so much time scratching your head I would asuume (I should follow my own advice and never assume) you didn't read anything from the post. If you did, you would have noticed in #2 titled "Defense" that I talked about double teaming in the post and questioned Self's "Nonsense".

Maybe you have something else to say? Let your voice be heard about Self's "D". I for one would like to hear it. Probably already been said though.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 11 months ago

For those that are interested in a great forum.........www.cbssports.com and under the "Kansas Page" is a great forum to talk with other Kansas fans and posters about college basketball, recruiting, teams, and pretty much whatever you want to talk about in regards to the Jayhawks.

Eric Baker 4 years, 11 months ago

They're not just double teaming Cole, whenever Collins makes a drive to the basket, the defense stuffs him. It led to a few blocked shots and poor shots, but it also led to a few great dish outs that led to great baskets.

Ben Kane 4 years, 11 months ago

you mistook what I meant. I hope and expect that we will go to Austin and come out with a W. Just saying that it doesn't hurt us if it doesn't happen. Will certainly need to be playing with more intensity (and I assume BS will have us doing exactly that) then we did last night.

KU_Alumn_2000 4 years, 11 months ago

KUshaw - I agree with you on reed. We flow well with his leadership and consistency on the floor...would like to see him start. I also like seeing his dribble penetration game starting to come around. If he continues to develop his dribble penetration...then we definitely are better as a team as opposed to having Taylor on the floor.

KULA 4 years, 11 months ago

Great game for Markieff! The UCLA fans next to me were saying how #21's a monster, he's been killing us all day. I told them, "Yeah, he's our 7th man. Doesn't usually get that much playing time."

Tony Bandle 4 years, 11 months ago

KULA...that's hilarious. I wish I could have seen the expression on the Uclan's face!!

I think my man, Mr. Robinson got a lesson yesterday. In close, DUNK THE BALL!!! It turned out to be a 39 minute lesson. Don't worry, all...he is a baby Godzilla that will grow into the Big Godzilla!!!

rockchalkjayhawk4ku11 4 years, 11 months ago

• Not to any of the beautiful people in the stands

??

Tim Bingaman 4 years, 11 months ago

I am Vitaleish in my hatred of missed foul shots. We should have won some tourney games under 'ole Roy because of this. Memphis (luckily) lost a big one because of this... SO

1. I can't say that I like the fact that Marcus is Markeiff's head saying that "he's gonna miss" free throws. Sounds like a typical brother, but we are past a HORSE game in the street.
  2. At the risk of questioning Mr. Manning, I heard he was calling Robinson (I think) Shaq... I don't like this, sir!

It is all mental. We can't have our players or coaches eroding our confidence at the foul line.

chalkitup1811 4 years, 11 months ago

What is with all this worrying going on here ? We won the game on the road , like self said any win on the road is a good thing. As long as we keep winning you guys should have nothing to worry about. Self will get these players ready come march i promise. there is no doubt in my mind that they will have reached they're potential by then. yes we are probably gonna lose a game or two but thats part of basketball. we can play with and beat anyone in the country. Free throw shooting does need to get better but the critisism is okay, it's not like manning or self wants our players to miss freethrows thats just a stupid thought TIMMYtheJayhawk i'm pretty sure they practice free throws everyday in practice and will continue to do so until you see an improvement.

jayhawkintexas 4 years, 11 months ago

Coach Manning has done a great job with 'Kieff. Let's give kudos to Coach Self and Andrea Hudy also for 'Kieff's development.

lollylane 4 years, 11 months ago

When I read Kieff's comment about Marcus knowing he was going to miss them (the free throws)...I took it that Marcus knew during the game and he told Kieff after the game. Could that have been what he meant?

I thought there were some really exciting moments during the game and part of the time I thought it was really boring. We still have a lot to learn. "X" has to tighten up the passes and control the ball better. If the twins keep playing like they are, I agree that the middle will loosen up cuz no one will leave them open to double Cole. If we keep feeding the middle we will dominate for sure.

It will certainly be interesting once Withey joins and Morningstar returns. Just who exactly is gonna lose playing time? Man we are DEEP!!! Love it!

jaybate 4 years, 11 months ago

KU Derivatives and Collateralized Debt Obligations (CDOs) After UCLA Win in Which Self Gambled and Won Again When Not Amping the Team Up to Play a Major Opponent:

Following are key derivative assessments in the wake of Self, the river boat gambler, letting his KU team again face a significant opponent flat, so that he can continue to use the early season games to work on components, rather than try to put it all together before he is ready.

Self treated this young skinny UCLA team very much the way Ratso Izzo treated a young skinny KU team early last season. Self used UCLA as another practice game, because he knew that whenever UCLA started to get going, Self could turn his bruisers loose on the tall weaklings and humiliate them into submission. It was not pretty at all. In fact, it was brutally ugly. Self has clearly decided that for this team to win it all it is going to have to physically brutalize the opposition the same way Ratso Izzo's teams do. The Michigan State-ization of Kansas basketball appears to have come. The refs allow it, so Self, who likes a much more athletic game by nature, is slowly, steadily preparing KU to be a prize fighter in Chuck Taylors this season. The name of the game is muscle and three point shooting. (Note: if anyone saw the Villanova-Maryland game, one saw a nearly exact duplication of the KU style of play, which is itself a near duplication of Ratso Izzo's style of play at MSU. And Texas is bringing Butcher Barnes version of Gary Williams Maryland butcher ball, too. This season is probably going to come down to a show down among bruisers the likes of which we have not seen since Michigan State beat Wisconsin in a bare knuckles prize fight some ten years ago in the ugliest national championship game ever played. The forces of a Perfect Storm of Ugliness are converging once again this season. KU is at the eye of this storm. It is the consensus Number One ranked team and it is playing as ugly as any of the bruiser teams in the country. Some purists may wish it were otherwise (I sure do), but the NCAA and the referees are forcing the game be played this way. No one can win this season without at least being competant at butcher ball. Self is seeing to it that KU is not merely competant, but among the best at it. Butcher Ball! Its Bloody Fantastic! Live the savage model, etc.

jaybate 4 years, 11 months ago

Components Self worked on vs. UCLA included: run the offense through the Twins with over the top passes, while Cole was doubled; have Sherron continue to experiment with waiting and selecting key moments to make impact plays; continue to develop Xavier as a trey shooting threat; and continue to work on perimeter ball movement.

New Wrinkles Tried: Some ball screen offense for Xavier was tried about three possessions in the first half, or so it appeared to me. It was not tried more, apparently because it didn't work very well--bad spacing appeared to clog it up. Ball screen offense appears to be a supplement to the Iba Weave for getting an open look at a decisive moment. KU needs something like this, because teams have been anticipating the Iba Weave.

Things not worked on: feeding the post for back to the basket moves (apparently Self has just decided to give up and wait on this until Morningstar gets back); running game; team defense; pressing defense; zone defense.

Now the Starting Five Derivatives Following the UCLA Game...

Xavier Derivative: Great outside shooting bundled with zero floor game, no post feeding, weak defense, no strips and 4 TOs. Also UCLA exposed that Xavier cannot get to the rim much better than Tyshawn, when the opponent has big trees in the paint. In short, a near collapse of fundamentals hedged by sky high outside shooting technicals of 4 for 7 from three.

Xavier CDO: Brady Morningstar is the insurance, but policy (and corresponding risk reduction) still does not take effect until second semester.

Sherron Derivative: Great leader, warrior and impact player bundled with guy experimenting with learning just the right time to decisively influence a game with impact plays instead of carrying entire investment structure on his back, as was the case last year.

Sherron CDO: He has eventually mastered every other role Self has asked of him and so the actuarial probability favors and insurance contract covering his mastery of this latest role by January.

jaybate 4 years, 11 months ago

Cole Derivative: Dominant big man bundled with little-used back to the basket offense that looks like a good arbitrage until a Top 10 opponent arises and Cole hasn't had enough back-to-the-basket work.

Cole CDO: Self insurance contract guaranties that sooner or later Self will find someone who can feed Cole--probably Brady.

Tyshawn Derivative: Lightening fast 2 guard bundled with someone who still cannot mix it up with the big trees and who has not gotten significantly better in any aspect of his game over last year.

Tyshawn CDO: Serious underwriting problem here, as C.J. Henry was supposed to insure the risk of no development by Tyshawn, but C.J. has been hopelessly behind the curve, because of injuries and having to unlearn the spread and ball screen offense and having to learn to play Self Defense. As a result, a second insurance contract has had to be renewed involving Tyrel Reed. Reed has performed adequately, but still does not fully able to off set the risk of Tyshawn's failure to take the next step so far.

Marcus Derivative: Incredibly unselfish and talented 3 playing garbage man 4 yet another year bundled with a guy who is going to have a great deal of trouble handling a truly powerful 4 come tournament time.

Marcus CDO: Marcus is insured by brother Markieff. If KU runs into a truly powerful 4 in March, then Kieff's greater muscle and 5 more fouls and strong outside shot create a situation that allows KU to wear down a dominant 4. This is perhaps the strongest CDO of all five starting derivatives.

Summary: The derivatives have some vulnerabilities, but for the most part the CBOs still seem up to the task of insuring the risks. But Morningstar and Withey can't get eligible too soon. Even against troubled UCLA, Self can't go to Elijah, or Thomas Robinson, and expect to win. For the rest of the semester, KU is a seven man team. Look for Tennessee to exploit that weakness in a major way. KU being a supposedly deep team will be a myth until second semester. If KU can just struggle to January, without major foul trouble on the perimeter, or inside, then Morningstar and Withey add the CBOs necessary to make the derivatives hold together. Its a big if. But if anyone can hide just how little depth this team truly has right now, it is the master magician of hiding weaknesses himself--Swami Bill Self.

yates33333 4 years, 11 months ago

Jaybate. Another clever analysis. The word is "competent." Your analysis, "great."

jaybate 4 years, 11 months ago

yates33333,

Thanks. It means something coming from you.