Originally published December 4, 2009 at 12:00a.m., updated December 4, 2009 at 07:17a.m.

Keegan

Two successors stand above the rest to replace Kansas coach Mark Mangino

Kansas head coach Mark Mangino scans his offense during a timeout in the Jayhawks’ game against Oklahoma on Oct. 24 at Memorial Stadium. Mangino is under investigation for allegedly poking a player.

I am standing on Mark Mangino’s front porch, getting berated with barks through a closed door by his dog, Yogi. I think I’ll recover and won’t do anything to try to get Yogi fired from the Mangino family.

Yogi was the only one who came to the door. The coach who elevated the Kansas football program from doormat to 12-1 Orange Bowl champions, then finished with seven consecutive losses, the last two while walking a plank, did not make himself available Thursday night. Mangino no doubt spent the night with his inner circle, which is to say his family. Yogi is a member of a very tight family and any attempt to get him fired for abusing me with yips while protecting the castle would be met with laughter.

What’s next for Mangino is anybody’s guess. Will he stay in Lawrence, move back to western Pennsylvania, or head to the next coaching job, perhaps as an offensive coordinator? Tough to say.

Lew Perkins isn’t talking either about where Kansas heads next for a football coach, but that isn’t quite as tough to determine.

Two candidates stand above the rest and all Perkins has to do is get one of them to say yes to him. Elevating Mangino’s salary to $2.3 million and sending KU legend John Hadl out to shake enough trees to build a state-of-the-art football complex makes the Kansas job an appealing one.

The two coaches, both 45, who make the most sense for Perkins to pursue played against each other in the Big Ten from 1983 to 1986, one a quarterback, the other a linebacker.

They both fit the telegenic, people-person profile Perkins seeks as the new face of the football program. Both are proven recruiters and have what it takes to relate to players and boosters, who eventually will be shaken down in an attempt to revive a Gridiron Club ready to be read its last rites.

Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, former University of Michigan and Chicago Bears quarterback, played against Kevin Sumlin, University of Houston coach and former Purdue linebacker, in college.

Harbaugh has the bigger name and likely would create greater excitement initially than Sumlin, but Sumlin is a better geographic fit as far as recruiting contacts.

Would they come to Kansas? Probably.

The knee-jerk reaction to Harbaugh’s candidacy centers on fears he would return to coach at his alma mater 14 years sooner than Roy Williams returned to his. Most think Rich Rodriguez is another losing season from getting fired by Michigan. Don’t assume Michigan would be interested in Harbaugh. Bad blood between the school and its former star is well-documented.

Harbaugh burned his bridge back to Ann Arbor during his first year as coach of Stanford when he told the San Francisco Chronicle: “Michigan is a good school and I got a good education there, but the athletic department has ways to get borderline guys in, and when they’re in, they steer them to courses in sports communications. They’re adulated when they’re playing, but when they get out, the people who adulated them won’t hire them.”

That sat well with the Stanford elite and angered Michigan officials and fans.

Why leave Stanford? Because when word leaked that Harbaugh’s pay, estimated at $750,000 in 2009, was on the verge of getting jacked to $1.25 million for 2010, many winced. Kansas can double his new and improved salary.

Harbaughs were born to coach. Jim’s father, Jack, won a Div. I-AA national title at Western Kentucky. Jim’s brother, John, is head coach of the Baltimore Ravens. His sister, Joani, is married to Indiana basketball coach Tom Crean.

The general consensus of those who are close to the program I polled Thursday night surmised Harbaugh would be the guy Perkins pursues first. If he doesn’t get him and can convince Sumlin to head north, Perkins will have landed a coach who masterfully juggles the art of at once being a strict disciplinarian and a players’ coach. One anecdote illustrates Sumlin’s ability to do so.

A reporter’s cell phone went off at a Sumlin news conference this year. The coach smiled and said, “Uh oh,” before turning to his players. “What’s our punishment for a cell phone?” Three players simultaneously said, “Twenty gassers, coach.” The players enjoy playing for him and adhere to his consistent rules.

Houston couldn’t match the estimated $1.6 million salary Baylor offered Art Briles, so it doesn’t seem possible Houston could compete with Kansas salary-wise.

Buffalo’s Turner Gill and Southern Mississippi’s Larry Fedora are appealing candidates as well, but if Perkins can land either Harbaugh or Sumlin, there is no reason to explore elsewhere.

Comments

sdoyel 4 years, 8 months ago

Harbaugh and Sumlin.

DING DING DING!!!!

okiedave 4 years, 8 months ago

Sorry Keegan, but your first two paragraphs appeared to be a little too flippant and borders on tasteless humor in rubbing it Mangino's face, who probably is not having an especially good day.

truefan 4 years, 8 months ago

I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Nutflush21 4 years, 8 months ago

Harbaugh is a pipe dream. There has never been a more perfect fit for KU than Sumlin and we can triple that 700k salary.

KanFan27 4 years, 8 months ago

I would hardly say that Harbaugh is a pipe dream. He may not be who we get but we stand a pretty good chance of getting him. Sumlin would be easier to lure with money because as mentioned already Houston cannot compete with Kansas in terms of money. On the other hand Stanford probably can. They did not pay Harbaugh big money but they have the capability to. I'm fine with either coach. I find it funny that some people are saying that after firing Mangino no one would want the KU job but there are quite a few good coaches that are considering it. There are probably 5 or 6 coaches that I would absolutely love to see come to KU and about 4 of them are strongly considering. I wish mangino well but am quite excited to get our new coach.

KanFan27 4 years, 8 months ago

I would like to correct myself. Mangino resigned. I know that he did so most likely being forced to but non the less he did resign.

kufaneg 4 years, 8 months ago

Just because MM made $2.3 mil, doesn't mean KU has to offer that amount. Let a new coach earn his raises. Start him out $1.3 and see what he does in the first few seasons.

jayhawkintx73 4 years, 8 months ago

kufaneg, we do have to offer a good amount to get a good head coach. I kind of like the idea of Jim Harbaugh. That will open up a whole lot of avenues in recruiting, including former player's sons and nephews. He's been a player at a high level, and probably understands what it takes to win. He did it. I don't know much about Sumlin, but hey, how about both of them. One as the head coach, and the other to replace Bowen.

ilikestuff 4 years, 8 months ago

Perkins handling of the Mangino situation revealed a total lack of class as well as a lack of trustworthiness. He should have conducted his internal investigation internally and kept the LJW out of it. Based on the type of complaints made against Mangino, the only candidate that could possibly fit the bill is Turner Gill. He might (gasp) yell but I doubt he'll ever utter a curse word or poke a suited up football player with his finger.

rastameta 4 years, 8 months ago

Trust me, Mangino has a reputation in coaching circles and there are not any coaches that Lew is interested in that wouldn't come because they think Lew handled the situation so poorly. If you think that, then it isn't even worth my time explaining it to you.

KUKRU 4 years, 8 months ago

I want Turner Gill from Buffalo! He would be a perfect fit as he is an ex-Big 12 man. Also he was born and raised in Texas which will help out with recruiting. And to top it all off he is African American. I think he will be able to be a mentor to a lot of the kids Mangino could not reach. Make it happen Lew!!!

drum1984 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm in the Turner Gill camp. He is a great coach who deserves an opportunity at a school with resources. Sumlin wouldn't be a bad choice either. I'm not sold on Harbaugh. He's done a very good job at Stanford but the key to winning in the Big 12 is mining Texas and as such I think the next coach at Kansas needs to have some ties there.

Todd 4 years, 8 months ago

Nooooooo. Wtf is wrong with you people? Why is Turner Gill on anyone's list? He's had one good year in the MAC

Cmill1221 4 years, 8 months ago

Are you kidding me?!?!? Turner Gill!?!? No way!!! Im with you doublej25. What is wrong with you people. He coaches in the MAC!! Remember Terry Allen? I think he had a good reccord in a lesser division. Get a big tome coach. I'm not even that sold on the Houston coach. Houston two weeks after they beat ok state lost to utep!! The same utep team ku destroyed this year and the score was like 56 to 53 (don't quote me on that score but it was outrageous). As far as mangino... I go to unlv and we are looking for a coach. I would love to see mangino in Vegas. He was not a bad coach just bad timeing and we all knew lew was never that high on him. He did the tough part of taking us out of the seller, now we need a coach to get us to the next level and maintain a winning program. (sorry about any spelling errors I'm typing on my I touch) Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!

shelleysue 4 years, 8 months ago

I would like to see a great defensive mind come to Lawrence and wouldn't mind seeing a successful defensive coordinator hired. Whoever it is, I hope he comes to KU and has imense success right away so everyone can quit complaining.

bradh 4 years, 8 months ago

I would like to say thanks to Mark Mangino for making Kansas football something to be proud of, something glimpsed only occasionally in our past. I appreciate your unstinting efforts on our behalf and wish you well wherever you end up.

One name I haven't seen mentioned is Patterson's. I realize he's a KSU person, but Jankovich was a pretty good coach for our basketball program and he came out of KSU with no animus. I think Patterson would like to get into a BCS conference to have better shots at BCS bowls. He's also a Kansas guy with Texas connections. It seems like he might be a good fit if we could get him.

NH_JHawk 4 years, 8 months ago

bradh -

Patterson just got a contract extension at TCU.

area51 4 years, 8 months ago

How about Charlie Strong defensive coordinator at Florida? An SEC coach or assistant would be great for the big 12 type of football.

mattvely 4 years, 8 months ago

Maxhawk....Standford is a much better job? Why exactly? Because of the weather or academic standards? PAC10 vs B12? Just looking on a dollar-basis, Harbaugh's current job pays less than 1/2 of what KU has proven they can pay. Most guys would like 100+% pay raises, even if it is only a few years before he would go to the NFL, I would welcome it.

billhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

THANK YOU MARK MANGINO.

You left the Kansas football program better off than when you arrived. At the end of the day, that's about as much as you can hope for from a coach.

Also, thanks for our first BCS bowl game victory. I was there. It was awesome!

Fred Davis 4 years, 8 months ago

This is the biggest football hire in the history of the program, with the future of the program riding on this hire - make the right move - KU football doesn't miss a beat, gets stronger in the Big 12 North and we actually compete for a Title when we're supposed to. Miss on the hire, and well, it's back to the Terry Allen days and solely being a basketball school.

I'm in the camp that Lew is going to make a big time hire, because this is probably the last major hire he'll make in his professional career. So this isn't just riding on KU's future, but this is Lew's legacy on the line as well. That's why I don't think it'll be Edsall and no way it's Turner Gill, which I'm confused as to why people are all excited about him anyway.

While Harbaugh would be a great hire, the problem with Harbaugh is he comes riskier than any other candidate because he's nomadic by nature, and I don't see him sticking around KU any more than 3-5 years, and that's not what KU needs in its next head coach.

I like Phil Fulmer, and I think he'd be perfect. He's 59, which means KU would be his last stop. He's said on record that he can coach another 10-12 years before calling it a career. He won 152 games in the SEC and the guy can recruit. Sure, he had a couple rough seasons in his last four at Rocky Top, but he also won 29 games in the last four years too despite those five-win seasons, which, let's see, that's in the SEC, and Mangino, won 31 games in his last four seasons in the Big 12 North, and that includes the Orange Bowl year. The guy had a year off, and if there's one thing that coaches, especially in the college ranks, taking time off is huge. Bill Huggins did it and returned with a bang, and Bill Snyder - his tenure ended a lot uglier than Fulmer's did, and there's a hell of a lot more work to do in Manhattan than Fulmer would have to do at KU.

Oh, and he's won a National Championship. Gee, that's a great conversation starter. Plus, he's nationally known, isn't afraid of a camera, and will not have a problem promoting KU Football, which Mangino wasn't akin to doing. You give KU football the next 10 years with Phil Fulmer - and I see good things happening.

KU 4 years, 8 months ago

Guys, I like Sumlin BUT his defense is horrible! Yeah, we might score a whole lotta points against the cupcakes, but when it comes down to it--defense wins championships. It's surprising Sumlim's defense is so bad. He played linebacker in college; you'd think he would take more pride in stopping people. Listen to some of his interviews--he concentrates almost totally on offense. Too much of what we have grown accustomed to over the past several years--all offense and no defense. And getting slaughtered for 58 points by UTEP??!! KU made them look totally inept.

The only way I'd get Sumlin--if I were Lew--is if he guaranteed me before the hire that he had a top-shelf defensive coordinator committed to working with him at KU.

I'm just not sure about Harbaugh for a number of reasons: 1) He seems like a bit of a loose cannon--He makes comments about opponents and even his alma mater that are very controversial. He's not quite as bad as Lane Kiffin in this regard, but nevertheless, 2) Geographic fit--He played in Michigan and coached in KY and CA. I would imagine most of his coaching contacts are west coast guys, which leads to, 3) Recruiting--If all his coaching contacts are west coast guys, can he keep the Texas recruiting pipeline running? 4) What's his track record running a major program? Sure, he's had a decent year this year, but it's his first winning season at Stanford out of 3. Mangino was up and down; we don't have enough history on Harbaugh (or Sumlin for that matter) to tell whether he can keep a program on top.

If you're talking former Nebraska guys, I'd rather have Solich than Gill.

I could get excited about Chris Peterson from Boise, but you'd have the same geographic challenges as with Harbaugh. Can a coaching staff with west coast roots get kids from California to come to the midwest in significant numbers? Does he have any coaching contacts familiar with Texas? Looking at Boise's roster, they have about 7 kids from Texas.

mythicalbirdfan 4 years, 8 months ago

I agree with okiedave...the first two paragraphs are unnecessary and completely classless. Obviously Keegan and the LJW are enjoying their chance to take more shots. The idea of journalism reporting instead of preaching fades more by the day.

K_Nut 4 years, 8 months ago

Keegan, Don't point out that Sumlin is a strict disciplinarian. We had a strict disciplinarian and look where that got us? KU is now looking for someone to make everyone happy and care more about what Lew wants than what the football team needs.

hammerhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Let's not forget another former star player at several levels who is a Kansan and who seems to be, if you look at his record, an excellent choice: Nolan Cromwell, the offensive coordinator for Texas A&M. Having ties to the greatest football state in America is a plus. Being from and having played at Kansas is a plus.

The only negative that I see is working for a fellow like Lou Perkins. Perkins has become a very black spot on the University of Kansas, Lawrence and indeed, the whole state of Kansas. Perkins is not the kind of management I would enjoy working for and I am sure neither would many others. Perkins is simply not a good person or a good leader for the University community.

nckujayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Didn't Gill Just get a huge contract extension through 1213? I don't think the money numbers were released, but if anyone wants Gill, they are going to have to buy Buffalo.

kranny 4 years, 8 months ago

First of all, I hope we are able to get a coach who is committed to KU and not use it as a stepping stone to supposed bigger and better places. I think Sumlin would be that guy. We also need a coach who is not afraid to go after the big boys-the 5 star players that go to OU, Texas and such. We also need a D coordinator who has some balls and isn't afraid to blitz more than once every other series. I also think that the UConn coach will be in the mix as controversial as that sounds. We'll have to pay these guys.

KU 4 years, 8 months ago

My pick would be Brian Kelly from Cincinnati. Ferocious defensive mind. But I'm afraid either 1) Notre Dame will be smart enough to hire him, or 2) He would consider KU a step down from the gold-mine of talent in his geographic area. But if ND passes on him, money talks; I don't think he makes more than 1.5 million at Cincy.

bwright928 4 years, 8 months ago

Herm Edwards? The next Pete Carroll.

TenaciousD 4 years, 8 months ago

K_Nut -

The football team needs WINS. Lew demands WINS (not 1 and 7 in conference). WINS are what we're after, and since Bill Young has been gone, they've been scarce.

Kevin Long 4 years, 8 months ago

KUKRU- I get tired of the African American crap. Nobody cares what color coaches are these days. Quit making a big deal out of color. As far as the "relating to players" thing, just ask K-State how that worked out for them.

jebloom22 4 years, 8 months ago

If it were up to me, "Iron Mike" Ditka would be the next Jayhawks head coach.

RonBurgandy 4 years, 8 months ago

KU - I would like to see Brian Kelly at KU also, but when you compare the job at Notre Dame to KU, it's easy to see which one is better.

areyouserious 4 years, 8 months ago

Its a shame if Phillip Fulmer doesnt get a look!!!! He is a proven winner. If you can win in the SEC, you can win in the Big12 north.....which MM couldnt do. He knows how to win a national championship.

741hawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Why can't I get any traction for June Jones? Former NFL coach. Took Hawaii (w/ NO facilities) to BCS Sugar Bowl. In 2nd yr at SMU, has them bowl eligible for first time since 1984. He's 58. KU would be a BCS destination school for him.

Layne Pierce 4 years, 8 months ago

A prime ingredient of hiring a coach should be what kind of staff he can generate. If for example, Harbaugh hires a top note defensive coordinator with Texas ties, then problem solved.

The right coach emphasizes all the elements of the game, offense, defense, special teams, and he knows how to build the program, assistant coach by assistant coach.

One thing, Lew needs is to pay enough to get the right guy, but to make sure that assistant salaries, are also at the top 15 level, that is the unstated necessity of a top program.

I love the idea of Nolan Cromwell, but only, if Cromwell can be a promoter of the program. I am not sure that is his personality.

If Sumlin just wants to score a thousand points, then that gives you only one way to win. The one thing about Fulmer and Tubberville is that they know what a complete program should look like.

Turner Gill is a ridiculous idea. It was ridiculous when Nebraska considered it. He just simply does not have the reps. He's only been moderately successful at a lower level.

iowajhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

I can't believe no one's talking about Frank Solich. He's a proven winner with strong ties and recruiting familiarity in the Big 12 North. He's chomping at the bit to get out of crappy Ohio and would probably love to come back to a BCS school and have the opportunity to take Nebraska to the woodshed every year.

penguin 4 years, 8 months ago

Charlie Strong is the man. He interviewed last time and was close to getting the job. His vision of a program is just amazing. At that time, he was merely a DC under Lou Holtz at South Carolina. However, now he has been the DC at Florida since 2002. It seems they have won some things in that time.

I just don't think Harbaugh comes to KU. I am also guessing that Stanford would be happy to match his salary to keep him. Also most of his national cred is built on taking shots a Pete Carroll. I don't know how he can do that from Kansas.

I am open to Sumlin, but I just have heard Charlie Strong's vision...so I guess that sways me.

Regardless I am sure this is not going to be like last time. I really do not see Lew forming a search committee outside of his personal office. I am guessing he will try to move fast, but I am sure we will all keep watching intently.

DocBean 4 years, 8 months ago

Charlie Strong or Jim Harbaugh would be huge for KU.

The Big XII North is up for grabs right now. I think a great coach can come in and win the North and compete in the Big XII title 2 out of every 3 years.

Texas or Oklahoma would love to move up to the North. Let's face it whoever wins the Big XII is usually in a good spot for the national title game.

DocBean 4 years, 8 months ago

bwright - Herm Edwards would actually be an amazing college football coach.

He could walk into any home in the country and talk a kid and his parents into coming to KU - which is 1/2 the game at this level.

It's not going to happen though.

William James 4 years, 8 months ago

Think about it guys, since we won the Orange Bowl the biggest reason for our mediocrity has been a weak defense. We had maybe the best QB in the country the last two years and where did it get us? Reesing threw for 500yds against Mizzou and we lost!
We need to get a guy in here who we know will bring in solid defense year in and year out as the foundation. Nebraska has a mediocre offense and they went 9-3 this year. If we have good d year in and year out, we don't need a Todd Reesing to compete every year. Fulmer and Tuberville both won national titles with SEC defense. Ok so Tuberville didn't get the National Title but everyone knows Auburn got screwed that year. My point is, you bring in one of these guys they are going to bring an SEC brand of defense to KU. We won't need a QB to play the game of his life every week, and our whole season wont crash when our QB gets hurt.

Phoggin_Loud 4 years, 8 months ago

I agree with bwright, Herm Edwards would IMMEDIATELY be able to recruit against NU & OU. Can you imagine the staff he could put together? HS kids would LOVE to play for him! He has the personality to be a better college coach than NFL coach. I don't know if he would be interested, but he would be my first choice.

Phoggin_Loud 4 years, 8 months ago

Doc, I don't think Herm would accept it either, but what NFL team is knocking down his door? The timing might be perfect.

HawkInAL 4 years, 8 months ago

A good friend of mine is the chaplain for the U of Houston football team and we went to New Orleans to see them play Tulane. Sumlin is a class act who the players truly respect and admire. He is a very upbeat glass-half-full kind of guy who runs his team in a way that would make any university proud. He would come cheaper than Harbaugh and we wouldn't have to keep looking over our collective shoulders at the status of the Michigan job (Roy to UNC anyone?). Add to that his recruiting contacts in Texas and it seems like a no-brainer to me.

TrueBlue92 4 years, 8 months ago

Two other interesting names are Pat Ruhl, OC during the Glen Mason era (1995 in particular):

Pat Ruel, who has 34 years of college and NFL coaching experience, is in his fourth year at USC. He joined the Trojan staff in February of 2005 and works with the offensive line.

In 2008, he was picked as one of the country's top 25 recruiters by Rivals.com.

from: http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ruel_pat00.html

Also Nolan Cromwell:

A veteran NFL assistant coach and former All-Pro defensive back, Nolan Cromwell was named the offensive coordinator at Texas A&M on January 5, 2008.

"I have known Nolan Cromwell since I first went to Green Bay," A&M coach Mike Sherman said. "He has always impressed me as a great teacher and passionate coach. He obviously has a wealth of experience as an NFL coach as well as a former NFL player. He has an outstanding offensive mind and has benefited from working with Mike Holmgren and having been to three Super Bowls."

from: http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/cromwell_nolan00.html

I'll take someone who is committed to KU first, but if it's a short timer he has to be someone who can move the program up in their short stay. Lew cannot let the program take a step back at this time!!

Chad Sandwell 4 years, 8 months ago

In the end, there are only two things that need to be on our new coaches resume. That is the ability to recruit speed and defense. Speed can correct a lot of things and until we get speed, we will not be able to compete with Texas, Oklahoma or anyone else from the South. Look what recruiting a defensive mind did for Nebraska. I am not saying scrap our offense. But we need speed and defense. Greasy, fast speed....I think a guy with an SEC background and recruiting base would be just the guy we need. Charlie Strong, Phil Fulmer or Tommy Tuberville.

GridironHawk 4 years, 8 months ago

I sure hope Lew put a "Can't be offense coordinator or head coach at KSU" clause in Mangino's buy-out. That would be one ugly purple blanket Mangino would sport on Saturday's...

Chris Bohling 4 years, 8 months ago

Charlie Strong should be the number one candidate. Sure, he's not a proven head coach, but he clearly has the ability to make players learn, grow, and work really really hard. Just watch any Florida game from this year. Their defense is head and shoulders above everybody else in the country. That's what we need. Lew, do whatever it takes to get him here.

Maurice King 4 years, 8 months ago

I like Golden Pat Ruel. I hope Perkins contacts him. Harbaugh, Sumlin, Strong, Fedora, and Gill are excellent candidates. Perkins will make the best choice for KU.

Hawk1969 4 years, 8 months ago

You really think Charlie Strong wants to leave the south to come to Lawrence!? I would love to see Strong patrolling the KU sidelines, but I'm realistic...on the other hand, Perkins has worked his magic before by securing an Orange Bowl bid and keeping Coach Self when T. Boone Pickens offered Self the whole state of Oklahoma to return to Stillwater.

I like Harbaugh and Sumlin equally. Sumlin seems to be the best fit recruiting wise. Wouldn't it be nice to get a hard-nosed defensive guy in there to run the program? Not sure Perkins will make a play for Charlie Strong, but it wouldn't hurt.

K_Nut 4 years, 8 months ago

I agree TenaciousD, wins are the answer but if youre saying that wins have been scarce since Bill Young left, then quite possibly Mangino wasn't the problem...Clint Bowen was. And whoever said that nobody cares about what color the coaches are these days is a joke. If KU doesn't even give a chance to a coach of minority then they are the bad guys and you'll have Jesse Jackson and Sharpton and whoever else barking at Lew. Lew will make everyone happy.(except for how he handled this Mangino fiasco)

Chad Sandwell 4 years, 8 months ago

Now that the should be candidates have been named...let's put odds on when the announcement will take place....My dibs are on Wednesday....Anyone else got an opinion!

63Jayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

I also agree with okiedave. Those first two paragraphs were totally inappropriate. I am glad that Coach Magino is being replaced and was of the opinion that he should be replaced before all ot the "abuse" questions were publicized. However, I wish him no ill, and see no reason to joke about the situation. It is not a joking matter for anyone.

blackhawkjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

741 Hawk has a point. June Jones should be in the pool. In fact, he might be the best of the college coach names we've heard.

Here's a list for consideration:

1. June Jones
  2. Marty Schottenheimer
  3. Sumlin
  4. Herm Edwards

Tell me that you wouldn't be excited if any one of these four got hired!

Jim Pendleton 4 years, 8 months ago

First, I want to thank Coach Mangino for what he did for our program. Getting to and winning a BCS bowl was outstanding. He gets a lot of grief for his conference record, but considering what he walked into eight years ago, there was no coach in America who could have won a Big 12 game that first year with the talent we had then. It was a miracle we won any games that year. Like him or not, he did build KU into a respectable program. It is a shame all the way around this ended the way it did.

Now for those of you promoting Fulmer, let's drop that idea before it gets started. One, he is 59, I want to see a younger up and coming guy. Two, yes he won a lot of games at UT, but I would hope so since he had Peyton for four years. They didn't even win the title in any of those years, it came after he was gone. Finally, I seem to recall he didn't have a good record against their rivals, particularly Florida.

I tend to agree with Harbaugh and Sumlin being the favorites. Having seen what info is out there, these guys both seem the type that players would want to play for. To those who think we don't need someone who is a disciplinarian, wrong. You still have to have strong discipline in your program, and from what I have seen, both of these guys promote that where they have been. I do hope that if it is one of these guys, they make the effort to bring in the strongest defensive coord they can find. Upgrading that side of the ball is a must.

Jayhawk Nation must support whoever the new guy is, give him a chance, whether you think he is the right guy or not. The program is much better off now than it was eight years ago. We also must support the program at the gate also. Season tickets have been around 40K, and this must continue to grow. We can't have people dropping out. We need full house of blue on game days.

You know what I will say next here - if you want to be one of the big boys, then we all need to act like it. I don't want to hear any more we are just a basketball school. No rule that says you can't be great in both sports. We can make it happen with the right people in place, and our continued support. Rock Chalk!

GonzoJayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm a Jayhawk in oregon. I have watched harbaugh transform Stanfords team and would love for him to be offered the job. He brings a fun, competitive attitude to the game and his Stanford players love his style.

Whoever we get, I hope they can keep the program winning.

Jayhawk til the day I die!!

chalky 4 years, 8 months ago

Many have commented on okiedaves post.I too want to say thanks, for saying what most of us thought as we read that first paragraph. Sure, Mangino is a coach on his way out, but He is also a Father, a Husband, a Son, and part of the Jayhawk family forever. No one really leaves. We just find our place on the bench and cheer the next generation of KU flagbearers. Thanks for getting right on that okiedave.Other than that, it was a good article.

Phoggin_Loud 4 years, 8 months ago

H - E - R - M - Herm! Herm! Herm!

jhokfan 4 years, 8 months ago

The chances of landing Harbaugh are only slightly better than gobigred1 finding out who his father is. Do you know how many sailors are in the U.S. Navy? Good luck with that.

hawken 4 years, 8 months ago

I heard from my brother, who lives in Colorado, that Mike Shanahan wants to coach college.

Chad Sandwell 4 years, 8 months ago

DEFENSE Must be Priority....Defense wins championships no matter what sport you are talking about....I agree Sumlin has done wonders at Houston, but I want someone with a more defensive pedigre. Until Defense becomes a priority we will only be able to compete for Big XII north titles and that makes us no better than Missouri!

AZJHWK 4 years, 8 months ago

The coaches from Stanford UConn Houston and yes Ohio would be fine choices. I would rather have 5-6 good years from a talented coach that COULD move on than 8 years of average. I've been watching KU football since Jack MItchell, and it has been the occaisonal good season and mostly bad or average seasons. The landscape has changed, we used to recruit Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska, there were a handful of Bowl games, and 2 to 4 TV games on Saturday, now we recruit nationally, 50 to 60 teams go to bowl games each year, virtually every team is on TV. As KU fans we cannot have the mentality of the 60's or 70's and worry about how much someone is going to cost or how long they will stay.

KU has the facilities and the money to get a good coach. It is time for KU to move to the big time and compete at a high level in football as well as bball.

jhokfan 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm not that big on Sumlin either. A CUSA guy coaching in the B12? I know he beat some B12 teams but CUSA and B12 are two different worlds.

HawkInAL 4 years, 8 months ago

He's only a CUSA guy because he's not a B12 guy yet. Mangino was 1-9 at some high school out in Pennsylvania. Everybody starts somewhere. Sumlin beat Okie St, TX Tech, and Miss St this year. With that offense KU would be getting ready for a rematch against Texas right now, not cleaning out the locker room. I, for one, don't want somebody else's leftovers or some guy looking to ride out his career somewhere. I want a young coach that the players and the university will be excited about and would have the potential to be around in 10-15 years and really create something special, a legacy. I don't see that from june jones, herm edwards, fulmer, or marty...

hawk82 4 years, 8 months ago

I'll get on the Herm Edwards bandwagon. The guy is just right for this age-range. And, I suspect his recruiting would be simply outstanding. I've seen Herm around High School kids at his K.C. camps and he is genuine, funny, and he challenges kids the right way.

dtownhawkfan 4 years, 8 months ago

I think Brent Venables would be an excellent hire. Hard-nose defensive guy

Chad Sandwell 4 years, 8 months ago

Hawk in AL....you are delusional.....we may have scored more points but the fact is we still couldn't make stops when we needed to. Defense is where our Next head coach needs to come from. Now, I am not saying that I will not approve of our next head coach...but if we don't address defense, then I will be disappointed!

pb88 4 years, 8 months ago

yeah i have been hearing rumor about phil fulmer. he is old but would be great for recruiting and he has the skill to turn us around. i don't see jim harbaugh coming to kansas after being in the big 10 and sec for so many years. and don't look for a pro coach to come here and help us out. i like sumlin and fulmer

Alan Halvorsen 4 years, 8 months ago

I want Tubberville, or Fulmer, but whatever you do, Lew, don't get an NFL guy. For those of you that want an NFL guy...have you not yet noticed, they don't translate to college ball.

Kevin Holt 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't understand why Bill Young gets sainthood around here....in 2006 he was not worshiped b/c until 2007, our D was nothing to be proud of. It's obvious that Bowen has struggled...but so has every other d-coordinator in the Big XII in this offensive minded age.
The key to D is recruiting speed. Success for any Big XII team hinges on recruiting Texas...it doesn't matter who the coach is by name...Texas is the key. An occasional FL kid or CA kid, sure, but the numbers for us must come from there.

Jaminrawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Sumlin is the hire. He is young, fit, smart and let's just be honest, he probably will have a better time relating to young African American athletes than someone like Phil Fulmer. We need a young guy to gorw the program with long-term. He knows Oklahoma and Texas recruiting and actually recruited quite a few of the guys we have verbally committed, currently.

Chad Sandwell 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't doubt he's a good coach...I am not sure we want to get another "offensive" (no pun intended) coach!

areyouserious 4 years, 8 months ago

Jayhawkjim80- Name a team or coach that does have a good record against Florida....you can't.

People need to give up the "old" comment...........I had that same comment when Snyder came back, but I am believer now........59 is not old, look at Joe Pa and Bowden. Phillip Fulmer is proven! If you can treat people right, and make kids better players, and manage a game situation, it dont matter if you are a hundred years old, kids will come play for people like that. Besides, how many players has Phillip Fulmer put in the NFL, how many games has he won in the toughest football conference in the country, how many National Championships does he have??? The answer for all of these questions is: More than any of the candidates being discussed.

oldalum 4 years, 8 months ago

Hammerhawk: You said: "The only negative that I see is working for a fellow like Lou Perkins. Perkins has become a very black spot on the University of Kansas, Lawrence and indeed, the whole state of Kansas." I believe you are very wrong here. Bill Self, for instance, certainly doesn't agree with you. He has a clause in his contract that lets him opt out if Lew ever leaves.

jcjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

I like Harbaugh over Sumlin but thats not b/c I dislike Sumlin. I just worry about flash-in-the-pan success at smaller programs. Harbaugh has been successfull at a school with extremely high academic standards playing in the 3rd toughest conference. Sumlin is in the 7th or 8th toughest conference at a school with almost no academic requirements. Would be happy with either, but if I had to pick between the two the better bet is Harbaugh.

justanotherfan 4 years, 8 months ago

Coaching candidate preferred qualities

1) Young - this is a developing program people. We need someone that can be around 10-12 years minimum. That should eliminate Solich and the like. They are simply too old to coach the years it will take to establish KU as a power.

2) Ties to a hotbed recruiting state. The hotbed states are Florida, Texas and California. Texas would be the obvious choice, but if we found a coach with Florida or California ties, that would be ok, too. Either way, we need a guy that can go get athletes.

3) Good player relations history. After this debacle, the one thing is evident regardless of what you think about the legitimacy of the claims - by and large, Mangino's players did not like OR respect him. That has to change.

4) History of success. This should be a given. The job should go to someone that has either been a top notch coordinator/ recruiter at the college level, or the head coach for a rising program. I think this eliminates Turner Gill because his improvement at Buffalo has been spotty. Had he had a strong year this year, I would feel differently about his candidacy.

To me, that leaves us with a handful of candidates:

1) Randy Edsall (UConn head coach) - he has recruited Florida extremely well 2) Brian Kelly (Cincinnati head coach) - although his ties to a hotbed state are weak, particularly outside the Ohio Valley 3) Kevin Sumlin (Houston head coach) - he has shown that his teams can compete with Big XII South teams, something Mangino couldn't do 4) Charlie Strong (Florida def. coord.) - great recruiter and defensive mind, but he has never been the head man.

Kelly may not be interested, so that leaves Edsall, Sumlin and Strong. I'd take any of the three, though Sumlin and Edsall are more interesting because they have head coaching experience.

Chad Sandwell 4 years, 8 months ago

JustAnother Fan----The only one you have listed that I would want is Charlie Strong....But I don't think that you can eliminate Tuberville or Fulmer from this list even though they are no spring chickens! I think 1 2 and 3 are more flash in the pan type guys....with defensive qualities a concern.....As i have stated several times already today....D E F E N S E must be a priority!

MitchumMan 4 years, 8 months ago

I never thought about Herm coming here, but after hearing it, I LOVE that idea. I don't think it will happen, but that guy could recruit. He may not have been the best NFL coach, but tell me what 4 or 5 star player wouldn't want to play for him. He truly cares about his players, knows how to teach the right way, and knows what it takes to get to the next level. Offer him the 2.3M that Mangino was getting or even more. If he produces, I have no problem paying him more...even more than Self.

MitchumMan 4 years, 8 months ago

Jaminrawk, what is this, "...relating to young African American athletes" you speak of? Why do people even bring this up? It's ridiculous! And something else that's ridiculous, saying these players are African American. Are they from Africa? Maybe some of them, but most of them aren't. Just because my ancestors are from Europe, I don't go around calling myself a European American. Oh well, I guess this really isn't the place for that argument...

Just find a good hire!

chalkitup1811 4 years, 8 months ago

If we can get Houstans coach that would be awesome. He seems like he knows what he is doing. He is the piece that can keep this puzzle together.

Jacobpaul81 4 years, 8 months ago

This program needs to rid itself of Lew Perkins. Until that happens, we will continue to have front page ESPN battle royales between football and basketball players, coaches who after 8 years are chased off for stepping over the lines when it comes to punishment (something perhaps the administration should have dealt with 7-8 years ago?). As long as Lew Perkins is in charge, Kansas' athletics department will be poorly managed, which will lead to continued negative coverage of the program. I for one believe it's time for Lew to resign and lets bring in someone new with actual managerial skills and not just a big time money maker.

Jaminrawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Mitchum Man, what is your gripe? It's a term popularly used. I could say that being a BLACK man that was an athlete on the collegiate level he can relate better to the bulk of the kids he recruits. That isn't BS, that is a fact. It's not a knock on white coaches (I myself am white) it's just a small advantage. It's no different than saying a guy from Texas can relate to kids who played football in Texas.

whitechocolate 4 years, 8 months ago

Pepper Rogers? Why stop there...

I'm heading up to Ann Arbor this weekend with a couple shovels and my occult books. After we dig up Fielding Yost, we'll reanimate him and slap a pair of Oakleys on his sockets.

C'mon, Yost has KU ties, knows how to recruit, knows how to coach both sides, and has 6 national championships under his belt. He's only gotten better with age.

KU 4 years, 8 months ago

Jacobpaul81 says: "I for one believe it's time for Lew to resign and lets bring in someone new with actual managerial skills and not just a big time money maker."

Uhh....the biggest challenge of ANY for a director of athletics is to raise the money necessary to keep up in this age of big-money athletics. Lew Perkins is the BEST AD we could have in that respect. You want management skills? Get another Bob Frederick--rest his soul. He was a great man and everybody loved him. But he couldn't drive the fundraising necessary to keep KU in the arms race that is college athletics in the Big 12, so he got run off. College football is the ONLY cash cow that can drive a big athletics budget. No matter how successful a men's basketball program is, there aren't enough seats in the stands at Allen to drive enough revenue to fund the whole athletic program. Lew did an amazing job of leveraging KU's basketball school success to raise funds and rid us of the inertia that was KU football. Now he's poised to take us to the next level.

I can't wait to see who he selects.

Rock Chalk!

blackhawkjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Jimmy Dean: Pro coaches can be effective in college:

Pete Carroll June Jones Dave Wannstedt (sp)

They can also fail. To me, the difference is the attitude. Carroll succeeds for the same reason he failed in the pros: he's a can-do, high energy guy. Kids and parents love this. Pros don't.

Names like Fulmer and Tubberville alternately bore me and scare me. They couldn't succeed at tradition-rich football powerhouses but they would somehow succeed at KU?

One thing that I'll guarantee - Lew probably has another candidate know one has mentioned here.

Top four remain:

1. June Jones
  2. Marty Schottenheimer
  3. Sumlin
  4. Herm Edwards

Chad Sandwell 4 years, 8 months ago

blackhawkjayhawk: You are on crack.....

chiefjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

NOOOOOOO to the person who suggested Herm Edwards!! He destroyed one of my teams already, I cannot deal with that again.

justinryman 4 years, 8 months ago

I know Gill will not coach against NU, and if you are so against him then why Sumlin? Talk about a one or two hit wonder.

KU needs a Dfensive mind, please take out the June Jones talk as well. I did here Schad on ESPN talk about Venables from OU and that would be a good fit or even Charlie Strong from FL. Both can recruit the South and can defend the spread offense.

As for por coaches? Why? they will come here for a few years then go right back to the NFL, KU dosent need a patch they need someone who wants to be here long term, not three or 4 years.

TrueBlue92 4 years, 8 months ago

blackhawkjayhawk -- Marty is a billion years old; maybe Brian, but not Marty.

Fulmer won a national championship, so I don't understand your point there.

beebe1 4 years, 8 months ago

Hey, three guys mentioned Kelly of Cinti! Someone is doing some good recruiting! I suspect he may be the number one Defense guy in the country. He was DC at Ohio State when they lost to TX. He got promoted to head coach at Cinti. He has moved Cinti into the top 5 or 6. He makes about half of what MM got. He has been rumored locally to be interested in moving into the 'Big Time'. That could mean Notre Dame. But it could possibly include KS! I suspect he is about the tops in Defense anywhere.;

Kelly recruited Ohio State -- don't put Ohio down as a talent source. Maintain TX, yes! But branch out a little. One of our freshman starters came to KU from a Columbus suburb. Keep our TX connections, but for goodness sake, put Defense at the top of the list.

Chad Sandwell 4 years, 8 months ago

justinryman----you are speaking my language....I haven't mentioned Venables because I didn't think he would come.....especially if stoops leaves OU for ND.....Defense Defense Defense!

HawkInAL 4 years, 8 months ago

4caster- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnAW_Z...

He beat TX Tech with his talent at U Houston. What do you think he could do with a program like KU? Did we hold Tech to 28? Either of the past 2 years?

The problem I see with a guy like Charlie Strong is that his recruiting ties are primarily in Florida. Getting Texas and Oklahoma kids to come to Kansas is one thing- getting them from Florida is a whole different ballgame. Recruiting in TX and OK is battling other Big 12 schools. Florida recruiting is against the SEC and I speak from experience when I say that nobody knows where Kansas is down here and they always confuse us with K-State which is brutal...

jhokfan 4 years, 8 months ago

There is a certain cachet to NFL coaches like Shottenheimer and Edwards but time in the NFL does not always translate to college success. If either are a possibility I think Marty is more likely because he may have coached himself out of the league. I think Herm can still get an NFL gig. Marty has been successful everywhere he’s coached. His biggest downside is his playoff record but college doesn’t have playoffs.

Nolan Cromwell is an attractive candidate but he only has one year as an OC. My guess is he won’t get offered the job unless we are unable to find the coach we want. I would like to see the new KU coach offer him an assistant’s position in Lawrence.

4 years, 8 months ago

beebe1 ~

Do you know Kelly personally or have a close connection? You’ve been pimping him for a few weeks. Just curious. I think a lot of people outside of Ohio may be unaware, it's one of the best high school football talent pools state-wise.

I personally like Strong, Sumlin, and Tuberville as candidates.

OCJHAWK 4 years, 8 months ago

HawkinAL - Your recruiting comments are spot on that is why I like the Harbough, with also getting him to agree to bring on Cromwell on either side of the ball for when Jim bolts for the NFL. Harbough recruits nationally at Stanford with strong California ties and Cromwell has been recruiting for the aTm in Texas.

Chad Sandwell 4 years, 8 months ago

Conf. USA Football isn't exactly a big time conference.......25.5pts per game vs. D1 opponents.....KU 33.75 pts per game vs D1.....I would say that is a wash due to competition.....We need a huge upgrade at Defense and Sumlin isn't it!

KGphoto 4 years, 8 months ago

If we could get Charlie Strong and retain Beaty we could have strong ties to both Florida and Texas. No way Beaty is just a receivers coach. I'm guessing he's going to be very successful and KU should retain him. In fact, if they gave him a chance at head coach I'd be happy.

Please no more of the pro coach talk. I can't stand Herm. Who started that crap? He's just a preacher. If he came to my house to recruit my son I'd laugh him out of my living room. He's a QB killer of the highest order.

justinryman 4 years, 8 months ago

To have a good D to stop the srpead offense you don't need three kids from Fla. 3 from Tx, 3 from S. Cal and 2 from Ohio. You need a coach who can make thier players believe they can stop it, a coach who can scheme it. Look at Nebrask, Florida, Alabama and Tennessee this past year. They all had coaches or D cordinators who knew how to stop it. Nebraska was probably the weakest on talent along with Tennessee. I know I put Fla and Alabama up there and thier kids come from their own states, but those palyers paly the sytem thier coaches put in place.

Defense wins Championships!!!!

Get a Definsive minded coach and we will beat Pinkel and MU year in and year out!!!!

HawkInAL 4 years, 8 months ago

Utah isn't big time, but it looks like urban meyer is working out pretty good for Florida. Youngstown State isn't big time, but Tressel is working out pretty good for Ohio state.

Everybody comes from somewhere...

And...

Anybody who saw last years BCS championship and still wants Brent Venables is loony. You've got a month to come up with a game plan and that's it? It was just about the worst appropriation of resources on a football field as I've ever seen. They should have brought Tebow a Pina colada and a lawn chair.

MesoCat 4 years, 8 months ago

What nobody is mentioning is that Stanford is just a step away from being able to win the Pac 10. KU will never be anywhere near winning the Big XII.

kureader 4 years, 8 months ago

Keegan, I reread your article a couple times trying to figure out what Mangino's dog, Yogi, has to do with Mangino's possible successors (or with anything else) ... I finally gave up. Then, I realized that maybe you really did drive to Mangino's house Thursday night and knock on his front door. If so, did you expect him to open the door, offer you lemonade, sit with you on his front porch, and have a little chat? I don't know if Yogi is a poodle or a pit bull. But, it sounds like HE was willing to meet with you. Too bad Yogi doesn't have a "doggie door".

Kawatchi 4 years, 8 months ago

Isn't it a little early to make the statement that 2 of them "stand out"? This is an absurd statement that is not at all backed up by the rest of the article.

mdfraz 4 years, 8 months ago

"Stanford is a better football coaching gig than KU. Stanford has much more football tradition than KU. On top of that, KU won't offer more than $2 million to start and Stanford can easily match that. It would be a step down."

Do you really read sports articles, or just make sh*t up? If you are to believe Woodling, Harbaugh made $750,000 this year, and when they talked about bumping him to, gasp, $1.25 million, people there balked. Lew will open up the checkbook, and we could probably almost triple what Stanford wants to pay Harbaugh.

Will he come here? I don't know. But if it comes down to money, Harbaugh will be our next coach.

justinryman 4 years, 8 months ago

There are a lot of good options for KU to choose, there are only a few GREAT ones though. Lew put all his chips on the table before the cards were dealt on this one, if they don't fall right he will be walking away as big a loser as Coach Mangino.

KU 4 years, 8 months ago

Let's make one thing clear: money....is......not......the.......object.......here. Mangino was making Top 15 money in the NATION. Lew did that to set himself up for the time when he would have to replace Mangino. He did it to make the statement that KU was going to be serious about its football, period. I'm sure it's common knowledge in the coaching community that Mangino was making a big haul. On top of that, the facilities--according to recruiting guru Jon Kirby--has football facilities that are second to none NATIONALLY.

Money talks. Coaches listen.

dshaw_64 4 years, 8 months ago

How about Frank Solich? This could be a sweet deal, with the revenge element. He did an underrated job coaching up the Huskers, and is doing well as head man at Ohio U... I love the irony - he could burn the Huskers like Shanahan burned the Raiders.

KU 4 years, 8 months ago

Sorry for the poor grammar.....one too many martinis before I typed that last post.

justinryman 4 years, 8 months ago

dshaw, stop with the Solich want list, he drank, he had affairs with female students, yeah he wasn't such a great guy. He recruited ok, but wasn't a great coach. His best coaching job at NU was his last year when he go an all new coaching staff and he let them do most of the coaching, thats why they won the bowl game he wasn't around for.

So if KU is going to hire someone with a grudge there are plenty of other good choices out there...plus the grudge thing only works for a little while. Shanahan just played it up to a bad Raiders team DUH!!!!

Chad Sandwell 4 years, 8 months ago

that would be the worst move ever. He knows nothing about defense and based on his time as a QB in college, KU and Florida I believe knows nothing about offense either!

Lew: DEFENSE

justinryman 4 years, 8 months ago

rch81.....why must you taunt us with a schottenheimer?????

But Iam with you on the Solich matter, living in NE my whole life, ohhhh please!!!!!

I have said this before on other post, lets try a young and up n comer, Major Applewhite??? hahaha

dshaw_64 4 years, 8 months ago

Lest we forget: (from Wikipedia) Solich directed the Huskers to six consecutive bowl games, including his 2001 squad which went to the national championship game in the Rose Bowl following the 2001 season. Nebraska won at least nine games in five of those six seasons, and finished among the top 10 teams in the nation three times. Solich compiled a 58–19 record (.753) at Nebraska.

Solich's 1999 Huskers defeated the Texas Longhorns for the Big 12 championship. Solich was named the Big 12 Coach-of-the-Year in 1999 and 2001, and was one of seven finalists for the Paul "Bear" Bryant National Coach-of-the-Year Award in 2001.

justinryman 4 years, 8 months ago

dshaw, lets not forget that in 2001 that NU didn't even play for the Big12 title and backdoored thier eay into the National title game and then got BLOWN OUT by USC. They got beat by KSU that year and KSU got beat in the Title game. I don't even need Wiki for the info. If its about W-L's then the options are endless after what KU as a school has gone through getting a less than quality person to run a major program is not the answer. Plus for 4 of those year Fank played with Dr. Tom's players, not his own.

KURocksChalk 4 years, 8 months ago

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Gary Patterson, of TCU? He is a Kansan, right? His blood is not THAT purple. Give him a call.

justinryman 4 years, 8 months ago

OH smack, by bad rch81, wrong year. Still they changed the BCS rules after that year. So my bad on the bad memory, sorry all.

dshaw_64 4 years, 8 months ago

Do the words ERIC CROUCH and HEISMAN WINNER ring a bell?

Chad Sandwell 4 years, 8 months ago

You wanna talk about the program lingering in mediocrity for years to come....Hire Brian Schottenheimer....Any of the names listed above would be a better pick.

justinryman 4 years, 8 months ago

Yeah it does, sure helps that Dr. Tom recruited him before he retired, plus he was going to leave if he wasn't going to be the starting qb at NU over Bobby Newcomb. Now he owns a backyard playground business, that is after he quit the NFL not once but twice and the CFL once. Do I need to mention all the players Frank DID recruit that have ended up in jail?

jhokfan 4 years, 8 months ago

I would be disappointed if they even considered Solich or Gill or any other cornturds. I want to win but not at any cost. Let’s not soil ourselves with anything Warden Osborne has touched.

blackhawkjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Brian Schottenheimer would fit the current trend in football of hiring really young. Don't know much about his coaching resume....don't know if his name would really mean that much to young recruits. It would be a fashionable hire. Anyone know if it would be a good one?

I'd like it more if he brought his dad in to help.

justinryman 4 years, 8 months ago

Well its not like most of you haven't probably already seen this link but here is another from ESPN.com with a list of names and some $$$ around them. So who knows Lew is keep his mouth shut. His last quote says more than enough, should have had someone lined up before he started all this.

"http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4714715"

ther0ck 4 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, Kansas can pull Harbaugh. It isn't rebuilding if you stink, have one good season and stink again.

kcgridiron 4 years, 8 months ago

Call Jon Gruden, buyout his contract with espn using the money raised for the new gridiron club we can put on hold, shift the spotlight equally between the football/basketball programs...and bring on the National Championships!...What's the worst he can say...No!...

KURocksChalk 4 years, 8 months ago

Turner Gill is reportedly going to inverview. Please no. He has not built a program. He is 20-30 at Buffalo. Geez. More PC for KU.

Tyler Bruce 4 years, 8 months ago

for the guy who said that Fulmer and Tuberville bore him and scare him becuase "the couldn't compete at a tradition rich university".. what are u talking about? Fulmer won a national championship the year AFTER Peyton Manning left.. and he also recruited Peyton Manning.. and Tuberville.. do u remember Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown in the same backfield? and Jason Campbell.. and Carlos Rodgers? he recruited all of them.. AND he we 13-0 in a season when he got the shaft to not play for the national championship.. they were the best team in america that year!.. Then take a look at even their bad years against what Gene Chizic (sp) and Lane Kiffin have done.. Gene is terrible at Auburn and won fewer games in 2 years than Rhodes won in his first year at Iowa St.. I dont really have to say much about Kiffin u already kno! my point is.. they would be 2 great coaches that kno how to recruit the south and would be great coaches at KU

Gil Ek 4 years, 8 months ago

There is only one choice! D I T K A !!!!!