Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Woodling

Recruiting woes: Mangino’s play-calling against MU not the issue

Missouri tailback Derrick Washington breaks past the Kansas defense late in the fourth quarter, Saturday, Nov. 28, 2009 at Arrowhead Stadium.

I have to admit I often become incensed at television sports commentators.

Take last Saturday’s Kansas-Missouri football contest, for example. The TV throats blistered KU coach Mark Mangino for his failure to use running plays to eat the clock late.

Then they threw it back to the studio blabbers in New York, and those know-it-alls took another shot at Mangino, hinting the clock fiasco was just another reason to fire him along with the seven losses in a row and the internal kangaroo court investigating his treatment of players.

I was mad because I would have thrown the ball, too.

I couldn’t blame offensive coordinator Ed Warinner for putting the pig in the air for two reasons — 1) Missouri had the worst pass defense in the Big 12, and 2) Kansas ranked No. 104 nationally (out of 120 teams) in rushing offense.

As any coach would do, Warinner went with his strengths — quarterback Todd Reesing, who led the Big 12 in total offense, throwing to Dezmon Briscoe, who ranked second — behind Missouri’s Danario Alexander — in pass reception yardage.

Another factor to consider was the Jayhawks’ horrid defense.

Even if Kansas had been able to run time off the clock, Missouri almost certainly would have regained possession and, regardless of the time remaining, the Tigers were odds-on to make something happen quickly because KU’s defense couldn’t stop the Toy Bowl champs.

Newsweek has a little feature in which the magazine asks readers to sum up an event or an incident in six words. I can do that for the Jayhawks’ strange five-straight-wins, seven-straight-losses football season.

Could pass, couldn’t do anything else.

In retrospect, the season went down the chute during Februarys past.

On signing days, Mangino failed to land any prospects who could make plays on defense.

Mangino had offensive playmakers, but he had no one on defense who could make anything happen.

During the eight Big 12 games, KU defenders intercepted only three passes and recovered just seven fumbles. Only Baylor, the Big 12 South’s 1-7 team, had fewer take-aways during conference games than Kansas.

I’ll never forget what Mangino said after the Jayhawks outlasted an offensively challenged Iowa State team, 41-36, in early October for what turned out to be their last victory.

“I knew in April they were going to get exposed,” Mangino said of his defenders.

In other words, Mangino was admitting he had made too many mistakes when it came to recruiting defensive players.

Isn’t that what it always comes down to? Isn’t that why all coaches are fired?

They can say all they want about Mangino’s temper and his treatment of players, but the bottom line is he didn’t win because he didn’t recruit enough Big 12-caliber players.

Comments

Doug LeMoine 4 years, 9 months ago

Reesing is a gambler. Warriner perhaps wanted to indulge his signal-caller on the last drive. Missouri has a truly inept pass defense (as you mention). Plus, the Tiger defensive coordinator was gambling by single-covering Briscoe. Warriner couldn't resist; Reesing likely loved the audible decision; and they just couldn't execute, and you've got to lay some blame on Briscoe in that he did not sell the route well, or get separation, which forced Reesing to go longer with his throw.

If Briscoe sells the route and Reesing connects, it goes down as a singularly epic moment in Kansas football history.

And yet. And yet, after six games in which Reesing has struggled to deliver the ball on longer routes, on first down from the three, I think you've GOT to resist the urge to push all the chips out there and call SOMETHING that plays to your strengths and gets you some breathing room. It was stupid. It wasn't as crazy as the announcers made it seem, but it was stupid, considering all the we had seen over the past few weeks.

Nutflush21 4 years, 9 months ago

You run the football when you have the lead with three minutes left. Yeah Missouri may get the ball back. It would have been with under 1:30, no timeouts AND DOWN 3 NOT 1!

Passing the ball was dumb and cannot be defended.

rastameta 4 years, 9 months ago

Go back and look at the tape, on the first down where he went deep to Briscoe, he had Meier wide open in the flat. He probably would have had at least a 5-yard gain with would have completely changed the calls for second and third down. It was a bad call by both the coordinator and Reesing. I understand that Briscoe had single coverage, but in that situation you have to take the the 5-yards and keep the clock moving. Again, it shows that the players are not well coached in the basics of the game and game mangaement...but then again that has never been a strength of Mangino.

Clarence Haynes 4 years, 9 months ago

Last year KU recruited Kande, Sellers, Young, and other who could have given us much needed depth, as the defense was winded in the 4th qtr throughout the losing streak. I guess that the redshirt was more important in the eyes of the coaching staff.

Billy Derringer 4 years, 9 months ago

the redshirts will help ku in the long run. i dont think it will help mangino in the long run.

Andy Hess 4 years, 9 months ago

You would've thrown the ball too, Chuck? I guess that's why you sit behind a keyboard and don't stand on the sidelines making decisions.

Andy Hess 4 years, 9 months ago

nj, we only have one JuCo commit (Dave Clark) and he's already said he's not wavering at all. try again.

brcook99 4 years, 9 months ago

You are so wrong it's painful. Do you know anythig about football. Forget the amount of time left in the game, I would have run it because my back was against the endzone and you need room to operate so you don't get a ............ safety. Write articles when you know something....

KU 4 years, 9 months ago

I seem to remember a drive earlier in the game that began on our own 1 yard line where we ran a QB sneak on 1st down and our line drove MU off the ball and we gained 6 yards. The pass calls were horrendous on 1st and 2nd down. But the QB draw from 5 yards deep in the endzone on 3rd down was unforgiveable.

brcook99 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm so happy to see all the true KU football fans who know something disagreeing with this article..... makes me so happy!

eastcoasthawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Sorry Chuck, not buying it. The last time we had the ball at the one yard line we called a quarterback keep and blew their front 6 or 7 down the field 5 yards. What BS. Warriner is a bum. All season long he ignored the run and his tight end. It wasn't until the last 1 or 2 games did he start calling plays for Biere again. We were weak statisically running the ball because he choose not to.

We should have run the ball especially on first down to force MU to take their last time out. That would have eliminated them taking a knee in the center of the field and calling time out for a field goal. Every play we run the clock in the last set increased our odds of winning.

jakzhumans 4 years, 9 months ago

I agree with everything in this article except for Woodling's defense of the first-down play call. Sorry, but that was a dumb call. I understand playing to your strengths and your opponents' weaknesses, but in this case you don't have to make that choice because MU wasn't really stopping the run either. Remove the sacks from the rushing totals and KU averaged over 4.5 yards per carry in the game. In that situation, you either run the ball or you throw one of those safe three or four yard plays to Meier to get some breathing room and keep the clock running. Anything else was too big a gamble, and sure enough it bit Warinner and Mangino and Reesing in the butt.

Otherwise, I think Woodling is spot on. "Could pass, couldn't do anything else" is pretty much the story of the season, and the lack of depth was painfully obvious as the year wore on.

Gene Jackson 4 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Perkins, please do something NOW! The clock is ticking. Recruits and players must know sooner than later. It isn't fair to keep everyone hanging.

Rivethead 4 years, 9 months ago

I have a hard time buying your reasoning Chuck.

For one, when you're a KU or a Baylor, you don't really have the luxury of recruiting position-specific players. You recruit and take the best players available to your team, regardless of position.

As KU developed more of a proficient offense, more highly recruited offensive players took an interest. And if the choice comes down to a 1 star DB or a 3 star WR, we're going to take the 3 star WR every time. You take the best talent available (regardless of need) and hope you can develop the rest. Take a look at how YOUNG our defense is. We're obviously developing the rest.

NH_JHawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Score so far on this blog, KU nation 11 and Woodling 1. Make that 12-1. Terrible play calling on the last set.

Dyrk Dugan 4 years, 9 months ago

Woodling has been harping on this "recruiting" reason KU has lost football games all year. of course, we should have had more playmakers and faster guys on defense. But your article makes no sense with the situation with three minutes left in the game.

that had absolutely nothing to do with recruiting. it's called coaching. it's called leadership. it's called giving your teams the best chance to win. and running the ball there, or a short pass to Biere or Meier was the answer. as eastcoast said, why not double tight and run that scrum QB sneak....they got plenty of yards with that previously.

Kansas had the ball, up three with three minutes left. there is no other thought process there, except first downs. how about a pitch play to Rell? he seemed to have a burst. if you get him one on one, he was likely to make somebody miss. everyone i was in the stands with, couldn't believe that 1st down call. it was inexcusable.

and now back to recruiting: the longer this goes, then MM better stay. Because then we will lose recruits. per the KC Star, Grissom met with an LSU asst. yesterday. LSU! this kid is a big time recruit, from Kansas, and we're going to blow it with him.

Lew is absolutely screwing this up, if no decision is out there today...and i mean, TODAY! this is gone on long enough. and don't tell me this, "we have to let the investigation run its course," crapola. we're not talking about illegal activities here. we're talking about feelings getting hurt of past players...and behavior that may have or not, crossed the line. the administration already knows what they need to know. let's get on with our lives!!!

hellx 4 years, 9 months ago

WTF? Mangino's playcalling not an issue? Mangino's playcalling directly led to Kansas losing on Saturday. I'm cool with KU passing to break the game open, but trying to run the ball while the offensive line was backpedaling into the endzone led to the safety which led to MU being able to win with a field goal.

At the very worst, in that situation, KU should have come out with a three point lead so that a field goal would result in overtime. focusing on the first two plays is a red herring. we didn't lose because of that. we lost because Mangino and Warriner thought that our "not 100%" QB was the best option to run our ball behind a backpedaling O-line.

KU 4 years, 9 months ago

Pinkel had peed down his leg at least 3 times in that game and we let him clean himself up and get away with it. 1) He went for 2 "chasing points" early in the game and we stopped them, 2) He wasted 2 timeouts early in the 2nd half, and 3) He punted to us with 1 timeout left and under 3 minutes to go.

You have to run the ball in that situation. What's the worst that could happen with the 40 second play clock??

3:00--Run first down and gain nothing. Play takes 5 seconds and MU uses their last timeout. 2:55--Run 2nd down and gain nothing. Play takes 5 seconds and the 40 second clock ticks down to 2:15--Run 3rd down and gain nothing. Play takes 5 seconds and the 40 second clock ticks down to 1:35--Punt the ball to MU and they get it around the 50 with 1:30 left and no timeouts.

We had held them on the previous two drives. Now they have to get at least 20 yards with no timeouts to get in field goal position to TIE the game--not win it. They have no timeouts and all the pressure is on them just to get even with us and go into overtime.

There are NO excuses for throwing a fade on 1st down or running a QB draw out of your endzone on 3rd down. Even the second down play wasn't ideal because more bad things could have happened than good--interception; incompletion stops the clock again; sack in the endzone.

flouis11 4 years, 9 months ago

Chuck-

I'm sorry but you are wrong in your analysis for the play calling of KU's final series.

First, passing on two downs is NOT the way to proceed. There were 2:40, give or take, left on the game clock and MU had one timeout. Then you complete a run, similar to the previous one in which offensive line pushed forward that took place earlier in the game. This gives you 2-3 yards and forces MU to burn their final timeout. The game clock is now at 2:30.

Then you run again, may or may not get yardage but you won't be losing any. The clock is now at 2:00.

Finally you run again, and not a slow developing draw play when MU is finally starting to put pressure on KU. The clock is now at 1:30 prior to your punt from the 3 yard line. Tight punt, but Rojas should be able to get a quick kick off. MU gets the ball at the 35, including a return, with 1:15 and down by three. All we have to do is stop them from scoring a TD, a fieldgoal ties the game.

It took them 2:15, to move the ball 20yard to kick a game winning field goal. Yes, MU will probably get a field goal, but it's not a game winner.

I think you should do some more research prior to churning out an article.

Mike Barnhart 4 years, 9 months ago

Time to make a pitch for Mangino's replacement:

My candidates' resume:

• Assistant at 5 FBS schools, most recently at Texas A&M & OU
  • 18-7 as a current FBS head coach in Texas
  • Currently a non-BCS team ranked in the top 25
  • Beat more Big 12 teams this year than KU did
  • 2 straight top 25 recruiting classes with mostly Texas guys

Kevin Sumlin from University of Houston.

Doug Merrill 4 years, 9 months ago

I agree with running and so would Coach Fambrough. Years ago, in the same situation. He ran and ran and on fourth down he had the punter, Marc Harris - LHS grad! - deliberately run down the clock by scampering all over the endzone and eventually taking the safety.

We won by one point.

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

rastameta: BTW, I have heard that Mangino is being stubborn and trying to stall the investigation by not meeting with Williams.

Mr. Mangino this is Lori, could you come down to the station, we have a few questions.

Lori, you're not my mamma, I don't answer to you.I have a few questions for you, did you ever play sports, or coach, do you know what it takes.

Mark, please we just want to clarify a few things, we have this report to file.

Ms. Williams I work full time around here, even when I'm not working I'm working full time. Don't you know who I am, I bring in all the $ that funds this place, I pay your salary.

Mr. Mangino we have these allegations of your heavy handedness we just want to set the record straight. Please sir.

Ms. Williams, don't you 'yes sir me, lady' where you from, is your daddy an acholic, did your brother just gett shot, don't you know who I am, I'll send you back to your homies and you can die there.

Excuse me, Mr. Mangino you have built this- let's say reputation, we need to finalize...

Ms. Williams you may not know this but I was brought in this place to instill some discipline and structure, that was my number one directive and I've done that and the right way too. Just ask 99% of my players, sure you will have a handful of non contents, yet in football circles I'm one of the most pleasant and nicest guys around, Trust me.

Mr. Mangino would you mind moving your car seems you parked in my reserved spot.

Ms. Williams the loading zone was taken, I have the UHaul in my spot, what do folks expect of me, it takes a lot of time to finish last place in this league.

Mr. Mangio what about the report?

Ms Williams, mail me a copy.....Stoopsy and I have a flight to South Bend.

NH_JHawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Jayhawk nation 17 - Woodling 1. Not looking good, Chuck, and we're still in the 1st quarter. Final score??

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

flous, your reckoning is correct, but no it wasn't 2:40 give or take as you say it was exactly 2:59 and 1st down and three plays later we had given them 2 pts and it was, sit down now, hold your chair. exactly 2:44.

we manage in three plays to give them 2 points, bring them to one point of us, and use a total of 14 secounds of play clock total on all three plays combined, not give or take, exactly. anyone know how to get a golf club out of my sony?

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

NH_J: if I didn't vote, count me as run it 3 or 4 times and keep clock running.

TheTruth08 4 years, 9 months ago

Of course you would have run the ball, Chuck.

Lone_salina_kufan 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't normally like bashing writers, but this article is stupid. On the previous possession, they lined up under center, and just ran a quaterback sneak for 6 yards!!!

You HAVE to run on first and 2nd down. I wouldn't have minded if they ran the first 2 downs and then try a play action. The problem was more that they never even SHOWED a run.

I am huge Ed Wariner fan, but if you want to be a legit football program, you have to take the good and the bad that come with it. The bad is you're scrutinized a lot more. When people who are not experts in football know better, that's a problem.

Its true our running attack stunk. And if Toben were playing, then maybe that wouldve changed the play calling. But you have to challenge your kids up front to make one first down to win the game. Period

Fruity22 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't mind passing it on first down but some 30 yard fade/go-route is not the play. Maybe other people were covered so that is why he chucked it down there, don't remember if he looked anywhere else. I do like that they were playing for the win right there and not content to run some time and punt it and put that woeful defense back on that field. If they punt it and Missouri gets it at the 50 with 1:30, which is an eternity in college football timeouts or not, I'm sure at the very least they tie it up if not win outright. And if you are the less talented team which lets face it we are you don't want to go to overtime. I would have liked to seen something to Meier and give him a chance to win the game and not headcase butterfingers Briscoe.

jc1306 4 years, 9 months ago

Woodling, throwing the ball was completely idiotic. It doesn't matter if we ran it 3 straight times and had to punt from the 10. There would have been less than a minute left in the game when MU took control of the ball probably around the 50 with NO timeouts. They would have had to score a touchdown to win the game in regulation, a FG to tie it.

I would have liked our chances.

No excuse for not running the ball, NONE. It wasn't about strengths and weaknesses, it was about managing the time on the clock.

TrueBlue92 4 years, 9 months ago

CAN WE PLEASE STOP BLAMING THE PLAYERS???

The deep-rooted need to pass is a coaching decision.

The inability for the players to utilize defensive fundamentals when tackling is a COACHING PROBLEM.

Hopefully the lawyers will get this ironed out quickly so we can all move on.

jjjjjhok -- sounds great to me, nice work!

TrueBlue92 4 years, 9 months ago

BTW, don't position coaches/coordinators recruit their own players?

gutter 4 years, 9 months ago

"If Reesing had connected with Briscoe — the pass was overthrown — Warinner would have been labeled a genius. Kansas wouldn’t have had its back to the end zone and would have felt safer in utilizing its puny rushing attack. Instead, Warinner was a bum".

Chuck, if the pass that was overthrown was intercepted - how would you have felt and how would you have labeled Warinner?

Jeff Hargate 4 years, 9 months ago

Do those of you saying that on the previous possession we blew them 6 yds down the field on the QB draw also realize that they did not have 10 defenders at the line of scrimmage like the final possession? If we would have run the QB draw on 1st or 2nd down we might have had a safety there as well. The audible was correct and the fact that we could not complete a pass against the worst secondary in the Big 12 is par for the course this season. How in the heck can you run the ball out of a shotgun with a small RB and a defense that is waiting for just that? I wanted to see the FB and Reesing under center, but I also wanted to win the lottery...

Mike Barnhart 4 years, 9 months ago

McDougal could have easily fielded the punt!!!!! Then ...game over!!!!

mdfraz 4 years, 9 months ago

I didn't read through all the posts, so if this has been said already I apologize.

Passing the ball on first down is risky, yes, but I don't have a problem with a pass play itself. What I do have a problem with is the fly route. That is ALWAYS a low percentage pass. Could we have caught MU off guard? Sure. But it takes a good throw, the right route, and the coverage playing improperly for that pass to be completed. For that reason, it was a TERRIBLE call. Even if it's completed and we win, it doesn't mean it was the right decision. It just means we got lucky.

The second down play would have been an acceptable call on any of the three downs. Had Briscoe not slipped, he would have had at least a 6 or 7 yard gain (assuming he got tackled right after catching it, which isn't a guarantee) and the clock would have kept running or MU would have to burn their (last???) timeout. If you try a shorter pass on first down and complete it, you are in fantastic shape for second and third down.

I personally would have run the ball, but once you whiff on your first down play, passing on second is probably not a bad idea so they can't tee off on you on third and 10 from inside your own one.

williepless, do you really think Mangino/Warriner would change their strategy just to indulge Reesing on what ended up being his final drive? If we are smart and convert there, it's NOT his final drive. By throwing the fly route we nearly guaranteed that it would be. Absolutely stupid call.

mdfraz 4 years, 9 months ago

Skimming back I see fruity made the point about the fly route. Sorry for the repeat.

Jeff Hargate 4 years, 9 months ago

jjjjjhok...couldn't agree more.

Hawk1969 4 years, 9 months ago

I've never seen so many coaches and experts come out of the woodwork!

I was at the game; Mizzou won, KU lost. Let's move on. I hated it as much as all of you, but I'm no college football "expert". In my opinion it was a combo of poor play calling, turnovers, and lack of depth at key positions.

jayhawkboogeyman 4 years, 9 months ago

No way should we pass there. You get on the field under center and run it hrd up the middle immediately. Show some confidence. The biggest reason for KU's collapse on offense is that they were always trying to outsmart everybody by looking to the sidelines and scrambling around before every play, right up until we had to burn a timeout or eat 5 yards. I can only think of a couple instances all year where we hurried up the offense and abandonded the old routine, and we were wildly successful. Point is, a good team doesn't waste their time audibling because of the defense. Go out there and quick count snap it right up the defense's throat.

Hawk1969 4 years, 9 months ago

I have to say that jjjjjhok has a point...Sumlin looks very attractive as a replacement for MM.

Wonder when the verdict will be handed down?

Fruity22 4 years, 9 months ago

Mcdougal certainly should have fielded the punt. The way that defense got torched all second half I would say there is no way that game is over unless we get one first down there be it starting at the 3 yard line or the 20. The playbook certainly opens up if we are starting at the 20.

jwhitakr 4 years, 9 months ago

This is, quite possibly, the most idiotic article I have ever read on a sports site. I thought Keegan would be the only writer I have to ignore on this site, but it seems that now I have to add Woodling to the list too. If you can't write a well thought-out article with some semblance of football knowledge and basic level of reasoning, then find another job.

I run my own website and would never allow this blather to be published. Pay attention, editors of this site, or you are going to completely lose readers.

justsmile2day 4 years, 9 months ago

If Brandon would have fielded the punt at the 14 like most punt returners do, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation!! He could have and should have fielded that ball!! You could also have said why didn't we just let them run that football in for a touchdown and just get it right back, too many what if's people, it's all water under the bridge get over it, and support our University in a POSITIVE MANNER. I hate losing more than probably any of you but you can't bring it back you just have to learn from your mistakes, and this year we were loaded with mistakes, but is a stepping tool that hopefully we will never repeat..

Jeff Hargate 4 years, 9 months ago

Wasn't it a 21 day process? I bet we are starting the 3rd week and will not hear anything until the middle of next week.

justsmile2day 4 years, 9 months ago

Hey lighthawk yes I do, you have tiger woods wife do it for you, haha..

Hawk1969 4 years, 9 months ago

jeffthejayhawk-I believe we're all ready to hear just what's going to happen. I'm hearing no coaches are out on the recruiting trail...not good.

Bill Kackley 4 years, 9 months ago

Running plays end up as safeties more often than passes. All you guys insisting that we should have run the ball on first down would have been saying "oh my god, why did he run the ball when MU knew we do it and we have such a poor running attack" if we had run the ball and been called for a safety on first down. I do blame Briscoe for lack of effort for getting open. That has been a consistency of his. Inconsistency in his route running and that is why he probably will be back next year. The pro's do look at more than raw talent.

chalky 4 years, 9 months ago

'Incensed, blistered, studio blabbers, know-it-alls, fiasco, kangaroo court, bum'......I could hardly listen for the point. The sound of the ax grinding was to loud.

AZJHWK 4 years, 9 months ago

This article is the reason Chuck is toiling away in Lawrence and not among the "TV throats and studio blabbers". Making excuses for an inept coaching staff that apparently can't coach, can't recruit and can't call plays. Even now his criticism is soft. If the coach is so tough and disciplined, why did the O line and D line get pushed around all season? Why did the secondary insist on hugging opponents as they went by rather than tackling them? The defense had to be simplified for the students, the D line was limited to a bull rush, apparently stunts and twists are too complicated. The D was slow,so only 2 LB's allowed anyone to run wide, that makes sense. Maybe they didn't have the talent at LB, but they didn't have the talent at DB either, I'd take my chances with a less talented LB over an out of position DB that can't tackle. Nothing is more frustrating than have the ball at the end of the game, giving it away, and not being able to make a stop.

On Offense it took until the last 2 games of the season to get the OL right, at least according to MM, what did the coaches look at in spring ball and fall practice? They still couldn't really run or pass block. KU has no hurry up, and no 2 minute drill. They may have one but it consists of one less look at the sideline while the clock winds down. Why can't an obviously bright QB run a read option? Why can't he call his own plays in crunch time? The control freak told him to fire away, but only when and how MM allowed. Why did MM decide we needed a pocket QB this season, so he would get more balls batted down?

KU doesn't want to pony up the cash to MM so nothing will happen until the investigation is complete and they can let him go. Look at the top 50 college coaches compensation, you will see KU pays very well and won't have any trouble getting a good coach with a good track record. We don't need someone elses coordinator or a head coach retread. Some coaches are made to be head coaches and some are made to be assistants. Look at the Chiefs, they have an assistant in charge, he needs someone (a head coach) to keep him balanced to be successful, I give him 2 years.

Kent Wells 4 years, 9 months ago

OK, normally I Would post a smartassed one sentence response. Not today. I'm a frustrated fan...

Typically, in that specific game situation, you would want the ball in the hands of your best player. Reesing. That is just about the only thing right about that play call. Oddly, it looked like MU was daring KU to pass. They sure had a lot of players close to the line. Even an extra defender with the goal line. KUs play choices were limited. A run on first down "might" have resulted in the same thing as the 3rd down play. But, I think all would agree that the 1st and 2nd down calls directly resulted in the 3rd down result. MU had their ears pinned back and were ready to kick our tail ends. Reesing should have pooch kicked on 3rd. (That was a joke).

A more sensible call on 1st down was needed. Even still a pass, but roll Reesing out of the pocket, put him out there where he is most dangerous. Its like the play options were:

1. Fumblerooski (crap, illegal these days)

2. Double reverse, fullback pass (crap, we don't really have one of those 2 back sets).

3. Intentional safety followed by onside kick (crap, we don't have that capability)

4. Statue of Liberty from end zone (crap, must have decided that one was risky...)

5. Call 3 unimaginative stand in the pocket pass plays in a row, burn a whopping 14 seconds of clock time, give up a safety, return ball to MU in good field position and lots of clock time, and get our asses beat by a field goal as time expires (crap, a reality)

So much for not being a smart ass. Maybe a New Years resolution.

Count me as against. I say you run it 3 times and punt with 1:30 or so left. But that's just me wanting to win.

Hell, if your that scared of a safety on a run play on 1st down, put in Biere as a lead blocking back and give it to Sharp or Lewis. At least run some freaking clock! Even if you gain 1 or 2 yards each play, you get some extra room for the punter.

And why the hell didn't Reesing extend the ball beyond the goal as he was being tackled. He could have. I think that is just more evidence of a poorly coached team. It is a damn shame Sparky & Co. went out they way they did. They deserved better.

And honestly, if the groin was that bad. Rest Reesing a week, put some ice on the jewels, give a L to OU, or whoever - get wins against KSU and Tech - just get him healthy for some wins down the line. Just stupid playing kids that are not 100%.

I feel better, but I need a Tylenol.

RCJHKU

Bill Kackley 4 years, 9 months ago

KU you missed the worst that could have happened. We could have been tackled in the endzone on any of your 3 running plays. I agree Pinkel was the coach that screwed up the most. Sometimes you are lucky and sometimes you are not. Maybe we should get rid of MM because ever since he dished the officials in that Texas game years ago we have had som mighty strange officiating, maybe get rid of Mangino and the Big 12 officials will treat us equally.

kcarod72 4 years, 9 months ago

Chuck,

I about spit out my coffee reading your article in defense of the play calling at the end of the game (not to mention how you actually believe that Mangino’s lack of defense 7 straight, need I remind you how awful the offense was at taking care of the ball that cost them in those losses not to mention how many points MU scored off of KU’s turnovers).

If I remember correctly, KU had the ball inside their 1 yd line earlier in the game and did one thing first, THEY RAN THE BALL! They loaded up and ran it up the middle with very good success, why? Well, the first thing on the coach’s minds was to get away from the end zone (to avoid a safety, in football terms, its called breathing room). How is their last possession any different? Obviously, we can see one difference, it’s late in the game and you cannot give your opponent a short field and if you do, you have to give them a small clock!! Seriously, you run and start the clock, then run, then; if need be, run again! If anything, you give yourself a chance to win without giving up a safety (which, oh, they did) and a short field due to the free kick awarded by means of a safety, which is what happened, and a short field with over two minutes left to kick a winning field goal (which is all they needed because of a safety).

Of course, we are all arm chair quarterbacks and coaches and in the end we are all critics so it’s easy to diagnose what WE would have done (and to be honest, 70,000 fans said run and 70,000 fans couldn’t believe that they didn’t run) in that situation. If Reesing had completed those passes, even just one pass, then who knows what the outcome would have been. But the fact is, when you put the ball up in the air in a situation where field position is your enemy and you are trying to sway the clock towards your favor, you do it by the book, just as you did earlier in the game, when it WORKED!

Please stop making excuses for Mangino. I blame this loss on two things, poor play calling at the end of the game, and the one thing the offense ha been consistent with all year, loosing the ball.

I disagree with KACKLEY, running the ball doesn’t mean running an ISO off tackle, it means putting in three TE’s and just smashing down the field for 3 or 4 yards, but you start the clock and probably get a couple yards out of it. It seemed to work earlier in the game did it not?

PenguinHawk 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't mind the shot downfield on 1st down on its own, what I mind was the succession of bad decisions, by players and coaches alike, that led to the loss. My take on this succession is this:

1. McDougald could potentially have caught that punt on the fly, but DEFINITELY could have played it on the bounce. They'd already pinned us down inside the 5 twice...at that point as the PR, your ONLY focus should be catching the ball, and the coaches should have drilled that into his head before he took the field.

2. Passing the ball on first down. Hey, we took a risk, and went for the kill. It didn't work. This could have been overcome, but instead...

3. Passing the ball on second down. What were they thinking? You have to eat up SOME clock here. Run the ball, and see where it puts you on third down.

4. OK, now we have 3rd and 10 from our own one-yard-line. QB sneak. There is no other option. The only unacceptable outcome here is the one we got...a safety. A QB sneak is the only play guaranteed not to lose yardage. A draw play, which backs us into the endzone AND gives the defense time to penetrate, was the absolute WORST play we could have called. Another fly pattern down the sideline would have been better.

It wasn't the shot on 1st down that killed us, it was four blunders in a row. We played to win or lose the game right there, as though we were afraid of overtime. Run the ball, keep them out of the endzone, and see what happens in OT. It was a dreadful end to a dreadful season.

Hawk1969 4 years, 9 months ago

Right on the money kcarod72.

The whole game boiled down to KU TO's, poor clock management, and poor play calling. This was a coaching gaff and had nothing to do with recruiting.

I was one of the 70,000 there that either couldn't believe the play calling on KU's last possestion or was laughing at KU's play calling and clock management, or lack there of.

I DO NOT like seeing the Jayhawks lose to Mizzou, but it's even harder to swallow when the coaching staff hands Mizzou a victory.

justsmile2day 4 years, 9 months ago

Here is an idea, let's play all of our HOME GAMES AT HOME!!! DID YOU FREAKIN HEAR THIS LEW!!! It's so much nicer when your the home team and the crowd is 85-15 in favor of the HOME team, not 50-50 like in the old days. Unless your wanting to be back there Lew.. MEMORIAL STADIUM..

Hawk1969 4 years, 9 months ago

Thank goodness basketball season is up and going!!!

I hope this whole football fiasco gets settled within the week. There is a lot of recruiting to do. I don't want to see a situation like KSU faced last year when they didn't name a coach until late December and lost valuable time recruiting.

I think we all see the writing on the wall...it's been there in big,bold letters for the past two weeks. MM isn't going to go out quietly and Perkins is being cautious and covering all the bases to possibly avoid a 6.6 million dollar buyout. KU needs to get this wrapped up so Perkins can start his search for a new coach. College football lives and dies with recruiting. KU has a nice class shaping up and they need to all they can to keep those kids interested in playing in Lawrence. I've already heard that none of the coaches are out recruiting as of now...

loudog 4 years, 9 months ago

jjjjjhok - If it goes down that MM is shown the door, and we got Sumlin, I would be ecstatic. However, he wouldn't be my first choice - another offensive minded coach that comes out shooting and hangs 50 on every team while allowing almost as many. We already have that with Mangino. As fun as it to watch our offense, and Texas Tech's, and Houston's, defense wins championships. Sure Florida and UT have high powered offenses, but their defenses are also among the top in the nation; and that is why they are going to play for the "national championship." My first choice for a new head coach would be Patterson from TCU. Dude's a defensive genius, and has a Mountain West school one UT loss away from playing for the national championship.

kureader 4 years, 9 months ago

Sorry, Chuck. It's nice of you to bash the national sports media and stick up for Mangino. I don't like the national sports media either, and I think Mangino is being thrown under the bus right now. But, the coaching decisions made in the last three minutes of the MU game gave the game back to MU. The players won it, and the KU coaches gave it back. It's just that simple. We ran a quarterback sneak for 6 yards from the same spot on the previous possession. One 1st down, and the game is over. Otherwise, they get the chance to TIE us with a field goal, Chuck. And, they've got less than a minute and a half to do it. We played like WE were behind, and at the end of the fiasco, WE WERE. Our coaches "outdumbed" their coaches.

loudog 4 years, 9 months ago

Cr*p - right after posting the comment about Patterson, I went over to ESPN and saw that he just signed a long term contract with TCU. Oh well...

TrueBlue92 4 years, 9 months ago

All this said, and it sure looks like this era is over, I wish all the supporting staff, coaches, and HCMM and anyone else who will lose their jobs over this the very best of luck. With the economy the way it is I'm sure there are many people who's names we don't know who are not sleeping well these days. I hope everything works out for everyone!

Hawk1969 4 years, 9 months ago

Patterson is a K-State grad and his wife is a Ft. Worth native. KU never had a shot with him.

Hawk1969 4 years, 9 months ago

Anyone interested in Peterson (Boise) or maybe the Utah head coach?

thmdmph 4 years, 9 months ago

The title of this article sounds like it's a defense of MM and the 1st section of the article does argue to that point. However, it's a decoy, Woodling is actually arguing for MM's firing.

1. "Kansas ranked No. 104 nationally (only 16 teams suck more) in rushing offense". This speaks for itself. This coming from a BCS conference with a coach that was labeled "coach of the year" getting payed several million George Washingtons.

2. "Jayhawks’ horrid defense" & "Mangino failed to land any prospects who could make plays on defense". No one else to blame except the head man. He's ultimately responsible for recruiting and development of players.

3. "seven-straight-losses". Enough said.

4. "Could pass, couldn’t do anything else". In other words, MM rides on the coat tail of Reesing, Meier & Dezmon Briscoe. His Orange Bowl and some other successes has everything to do with the talents and drives of the players. When Reesing was sick or had an off day, MM has no other options because he didn't develop any other options.

5. “I knew in April they were going to get exposed,” Mangino said. When you know ahead that it's going to be this bad and by the end of the season, it's still "this bad". It's that bad. Coaches. Any thoughts. It seems like MM is good at assessing players, but not good at coaching or developing them. Sure, there has been 2 or 3 star recruits who during their tenure at KU develops into something much more, but most of that is their own drive and competitiveness. Perfect example is 2 star Aqib Talib.

6. In the end, KU had this game and should have won this game. Many toilet seats have to line up evenly for the poop to hit the fan like it did and no one individual player can do that. Only the coaches can, mostly MM. And trust me, I'm not defending the other coaches either. It's not just play calling, or recruiting, but also coaching. That what coaches do, I think.

kickazzkurtz 4 years, 9 months ago

1. I believe Briscoe was covered pretty good on the pass that was overthrown.

2. We had been running successfully against MU late in the game. Remember when Reesing went under center the time before at the goal line and picked up 5 yards?

3. Running would of used MU's last time out and there would of been just over a minute if not less left when they got the ball back. Maybe enough time to get a field goal but that would of only tied it since we woudn't have had a safety.

4. On the previous field goal KU had we passed on the last two downs from the 3 yard line with Reesing getting a intentionally grounding penalty. If we had ran it I think we would have scored. We would have at least ran more time off the clock.

Jhoule 4 years, 9 months ago

Chuck, I am not sure if even watched the game on Saturday? Before we got the ball on the 1 yard line our defense did stop MU (thankfully a slip helped, it was stop none the less)! And to top it off we were up by 3, so all they would be playing for if it came to the end was a field goal - especially if time was run off the clock...

The last series we had inside the 5, we ran a QB keeper and Reesing got 5 yards... Why throw when you could do that and make them use a timeout! At least that gives us room away from the end zone for a possible throw on second down?

The commentators were right on this, we should have ran it and used the clock! That's how K-State beat us, just look up the time possession. Too top it off did you see his coaching decision on the punt that put the ball on the 1? He told McDougal to not catch it, right on camera - unbelievable! He deserves to be fired for the mistakes made all year and especially for Saturday's wasted performance!

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

in a few years we will all look back and recall fondly these seasons, the days of kansas football dominance and we will soon forget that this, his last year with some stunning senior talent we lost to Nebraska & KState by a combined 72 points.

yeah we are going to miss these days when they become the good old days.

thmdmph 4 years, 9 months ago

"If Reesing had connected with Briscoe — the pass was overthrown — Warinner would have been labeled a genius. Kansas wouldn’t have had its back to the end zone and would have felt safer in utilizing its puny rushing attack. Instead, Warinner was a bum."

I love the "if" analogies. if, if , if, if. If we had faked a punt and attempted to pass on 4th down at our own 20 yards with 3 points up and minus 3 minutes left on the clock and actually gained first down, MM would be labeled a genius and would have earned a new contract with double the income.

jcjayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Did anyone else read the article in either Sports Illustrated or ESPN the Mag a couple weeks ago about how Athletic Departments hire consulting firms to privately conduct coaching searches? Jeff Caple secretly interviewed with OU 3 or 4 times without anyone knowing about it...several other examples. I'm betting/hoping that Lew has been in discussions with 2 or 3 potentials for a while now and the whole situation is completely under control.

kranny 4 years, 9 months ago

Bad play calling period. A coach is supposed to set his team up to be in the most optimal situation to win the game in terms of field position and time management. Two pass plays and QB draw for a safety that took basically no time off the clock. Absolutely ridiculous. We simply handed the game to them. Two running plays and a play action pass to the tight end is what I would've liked to have seen. Even if we didn't gain a first down, we would've punted with a little over a minute left. The clock would've still kept running because Pinkle would've saved his last TO for the field goal that would've TIED the friggin' game. At least we would've still had a chance in OT. Simply stupid.

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

Losing KU recruits. I read that other schools, LSU e.g.,are attempting to convert our recruits to decommit during this blood in the water uncertainity time period.

Here's our stop-gap, finger in dike, solution. Appoint #48 as interim coach, then he could officially visit the homes, parents and share the direction and investment we are making in the program. Who wouldn't take an in home visit from him to at least stop the defections.

Gale Sayers to block, X gets the square.

Bill Kackley 4 years, 9 months ago

I LOVE IT WHEN YOU GUYS CUT DOWN ON OUR COACHING STAFF FOR RECRUITING. I THINK IT AMAZING THAT WE GET THE QUALITY WE GET. WHAT TOP RECRUITED PLAYER IN HIS RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT TO COME TO KANSAS OVER TEXAS, TEXAS A&M, TEXAS TECH, OKLAHOMA, OKLAHOMA STATE, OR NEBRASKA? AND THAT IS JUST IN THE BIG 12

MitchumMan 4 years, 9 months ago

Bottom line, the coach is paid to COACH. Before your players go out on that field you let them know what they need to do. Even if you've talked to them about it before, you pound it into their heads. What Mangino should have said was, "if we call a pass play - Reesing, you throw it to the wide open man and if there isn't a wide open man, you tuck the ball and stay in bounds. WRs, once you catch the pass, you stay in bounds and keep two hands on the ball. If we call a run play - RBs keep two hands on the ball and stay in bounds. We've got 2 1/2 minutes left men, lets push that defense backwards and eat up that clock." ...or something along those lines.

Phillbert 4 years, 9 months ago

If only Lew had the ability to fire Woodling.

packywacky88 4 years, 9 months ago

All we needed to win the game was the 104th ranked rushing offense. As stated before, on the previous series from the 1, we blew missouri off the line. I know I shouldn't have said "we blew missouri", but that's what happened.

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

Kackley if you are directed @ me, I regret I failed to make my point, I didn't mean to denegrating our recruiting efforts, on the contrary. I meant to communicate that the HS kids we have already recruited are now suspect to keep their allegiance to Kansas while coach changes are in the air....this is natural.

therefore many other coaches are going to our kids' homes ... Like LSU to Hutchinson this week.

I was attempting to be creative, when MM goes out and before we announce, John Gruden, Nolan Cromwell, Bill Parcels, Cahrlie Weiss, heck whoever, we send Gale into the homes to settle down the anxiety.

KU 4 years, 9 months ago

To the suggestion that Gale Sayers should go recruiting: You can only have seven (7) authorized recruiters on staff. I'm pretty sure all 7 of KU's authorized recruiting positions are taken up by the current coaching staff: Mangino, Warriner, Miller, Bowen, Beatty, Blaney and I'm not sure which other assistant would be the 7th recruiter. So your idea of sending the Kansas Comet out on the road may be creative, but it's also a violation of NCAA rules.

To people suggesting we're doing nothing to keep the verbal commitments we already have: everybody but Mangino was on the road yesterday to shore up commitments.

It's not much fun waiting this out, but what are we gonna do? It's not like we're going to get the same caliber of coach Notre Dame is going to get; Florida State already tagged one of their own as the successor to Bowden.......all we can do is let it play out.

KU 4 years, 9 months ago

And if you say Sayers can go recruiting if Mangino is fired, that may be true BUT he would have to pass a very complex recruiting test before he could go on the road. After hearing him stumble embarassingly through his remarks at halftime of a KU game early in the season, he may not be able to pass the test or communicate our message effectively.

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

KU again I failed to be clear, guilty. I meant when MM is officially out, Gale takes his seat as interim head coach, as one of our magic 7.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 9 months ago

KU......It's not a violation of rules if we fire the big guy!!

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

I missed his stumble was it braodcast media or was it on loudspeaker @ stadium, The feedback and speeking over speakers to masses is a practiced art. A heavy lift even for practiced orators.

I've spoken with him one on one, and saw no limitations. Perhaps you're spot on.

Jeff Hargate 4 years, 9 months ago

I wonder what our assistants are telling recruits to "shore" them up? I bet it is more like "...and remember to follow me wherever I go". The worth of a recently fired assistant has as much to do with who they are bringing with them than what they know about football.

Steve Brown 4 years, 9 months ago

tick tock lew get this finished. Money talks, every day this delays it hurts our program and every day MM assumes he gets more leverage. Tell his agent, that every day he delays signing the separation agreement cost him another $200,000. so put his financial interest aligned with ours. finish it.

of course with his die on his feet comment he would just wait it out, nevermind.

Layne Pierce 4 years, 9 months ago

Chuck

If you're playing baseball with a 2 run lead, do you try to throw a runner out at home plate, or hit the cut off man. Of course, if the coach tells his outfielders to throw out the runner at home plate, and it happens, then he's a genius. But if they don't they lose. Guess what, most coaches wouldn't do it, and teams that do will lose most of the time.

Point is doing the right thing, is coaching, and habit formation, it does not have anything to do with recruiting.

Not fielding the punt - recruiting problem? No. Passing instead of running - recruiting problem? No. Making sure that we at least got to overtime - recruiting problem? No.

As bad as our team is, the coaching staff, in particular MM did not adhere to fundamentals, that everybody understands.

To put it another way, Texas would have lost a close game with that kind of coaching, unless they were playing us.

MitchumMan 4 years, 9 months ago

"The investigation is nearing the final stage and we expect a decision from Kansas athletic director Lew Perkins within the next 48 hours." - Jayhawkslant.com

Anybody know what the rest of the article says?

thmdmph 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm not to keen in having Gale Sayers going out on recruiting trails. I agree with KU concerning the challenges of recruiting. It's one thing to be a stand out player, but it's another thing to coach, recruit, or make live commentaries.

Additionally, if teams start sending their former star players out on recruiting trails, KU wouldn't gain much advantage there either.

Recruits wants to hear from the people who's going to chew them up and tell them if they don't listen, they're going to be sent back to the potholes that they came from so they can get shot dead. Not from the token Mariachi bands.

gwenthejayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

This has to be the dumbest article I've read in a while. I'll even take the TV announcers opinion over Woodlings. If Woodling would have also called 3 plass plays in a row, we can be assured he won't be replacing Mangino. Football 101 Fellas. Poll 100 coaches - 99 run.

gwenthejayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Furthermore, play calling has been extremely suspect most of the season. Opurum was the only back gaining any yards, yet how many games went by with him getting 1 to 3 carries. This seemed very unlike mangino, who I would have considered an offensive genius in previous years. The football team as a whole hasn't been "right" for a couple of months - and anyone who can say play calling hasn't been a part of it hasn't watched many games - or learned the game at Woodling's house.

thmdmph 4 years, 9 months ago

I think KUsports need to have another contest. 'Recreate The Last Possession' contest. Only MM supports can submit and you have 48 hours. The winner get to meet MM in person and serve him the pink slip. (Beware, you and your ancestors may be denigrated and you may get poked in the chest.)

Anotherstudent 4 years, 9 months ago

I know its fashionable to blame the defense when the opposing team is throwing up 40 points but is it really their fault when the offense puts the ball on the 5 yard line? Or if the same player refuses to protect the ball and gives up the offensive drive again. Or still refuses to protect the ball after killing two drives and allowing one score (he still carried it like a loaf of bread). The same player also killed a drive by letting a pass bounce off of his facemask.

Then you have those repeated 1 yard spots. You know why people make such a big deal about that 99 yard drive? Because it NEVER HAPPENS. They created this fair catch rule and its great, even if you dont think you can return the ball it allows you to catch the ball on the 18 yard line and get the spot on the 18 yard line. Its quite nice.

This team was served poorly by some small mistakes all over and some HUGE ones on offense and special teams. Its so frustrating to see them fundamentally win (take away those mistakes and they would have, at least, used more clock on the continuning drives). That is the story of the season though, make big mistakes and lose it.

Hawk1969 4 years, 9 months ago

I See on Jayhawkslant.com that the coaches are out on the recruiting trail. I had heard that the coaches were in limbo waiting to see what the investigation would reveal and the outcome. Anyway, one coach seems to think MM will be back for 2010...hmmmmmmmmmm?

I didn't read the whole article because I don't want to pay for the subscription. Anyone out there know what the rest of the article says?

jhokfan 4 years, 9 months ago

I think there is an argument to be made that throwing in that situation was a good strategy. It plays to our strengths and not to our weaknesses. Run three plays and punt is a strategy to keep from losing.

KU 4 years, 9 months ago

KMBC in KC says Mangino cancelled a meeting with his players that was scheduled for today.

Anybody have the subscription to Jayhawkslant.com so we can find out more details alluded to above?

DDSF 4 years, 9 months ago

For those of you ripping McDougald for not calling a fair catch or not grabbing the ball of the bounce, you need to watch some more football. The kick was short, it bounced at the 20 and rolled. It was the correct move and he was following coaching orders. That did not lose the game. At all.

That said, you have to run the ball and there is no excuse for that play calling. I will agree with others that one pass would have been forgivable, but 3?!?!?! This game was a complete representation of the season. Our offense was pretty good, defense was bad, and we didn't have the ability to make THE game changing play.

actorman 4 years, 9 months ago

One of the strangest articles I've read in a long time. Sometimes I think CW says things just to play devil's advocate, to get a rise out of people (like the people who like to flame the message boards).

Jhokfan, in the past two seasons I would have agreed with you about the passing game being our strength, and I realize that TR had had a good game going, but given how many problems he's had this year with inaccuracy (not to mention how many times receivers have dropped passses), I don't think it was a smart decision. I agree with those above who said that a pass might have been okay if it had been a short, easy-to-complete pass (although he's missed his share of those this year too), but to try the long pass? Ridiculous. But of course we can all agree that it was brilliant to call the QB draw on third down, right? The surprise element was clearly there; after all, KU only calls the QB draw 5-10 times a game.

CW is also wrong when he says all we had was a passing game. In fact, there are several games we could have won if he DID have a passing game. But between the numerous inaccurate throws and the huge turnovers, the PASSING GAME cost us those games. Has he completely forgotten how many times this year the defense played well, only to be let down by the offense??? On top of that, I think we could have had a good running game if they would have only CHOSEN to run the ball (as someone else alluded to above). As Gwen pointed out, Oporum had been doing very well, then all of a sudden MM completely abandoned him in the Colorado game and went with a clearly injured Jake Sharp -- just one of the thousand horrible coaching decisions MM made this year, even more than in previous seasons. It would also have been nice to see Rell Lewis a little more, as he looked great against MU. As far as the passing game, I would like to have seen Kale Pick--our, you know, BACKUP QUARTERBACK--to try something novel for a QB like THROWING THE BALL. I can't imagine that any coach KU hires will drive me as crazy in games as MM has. This has been true even in games that KU has ended up winning; so many horrible decisions, the list goes on and on.

actorman 4 years, 9 months ago

DDSF, I was watching the game on ESPN360 so I'm not completely clear on that last play. Was it another pass (as you and some others have alluded to) or a QB draw, as other people have said? Either way it was a terrible call.

kureader 4 years, 9 months ago

gwenthejayhawk ... woah. very astute. We definitely played "not to lose" offensively for most of the Big 12 season ...until the 4th quarter when we were behind than finally decided that we had to throw the ball more than 10 yards up the field. To me it looked like really bad play calling by our offensive coordinator. Then it seemed like someone else was at the helm during the Missouri game, because we threw much more aggressively during the first half. (and then played like we were behind with a 3 point lead and 3 minutes to go.) Yes, I'm glad Chuck doesn't call the plays for the Jayhawks, though it looked like he was in charge during the last 3 minutes of the MU game.

babyjay1 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't have a premium subscription to Jayhawkslant so I couldn't read the article about a decision being made within 48 hours but the one about the recruit basically said that Je'Ney Jackson visited with kicker, Justin Castor, and made him believe that MM could be back next year. He is making an official visit to KU in January....

Mike Del Vecchio 4 years, 9 months ago

Whom ever wrote this article is a COMPLETE idiot!! His play calling cost KU the game! I cant believe that I read that trash! Your a joke!

DDSF 4 years, 9 months ago

actorman... you are right it was a qb draw. I just got ahead of myself because I'm so fired up that we have yet to make a decision either way on a head coach. Recruiting is happening right now and we are missing out because Lew might get rid of Mangino, but our assistants have no idea.

If Woodley wants to talk about recruiting and how bad it is, he needs to talk about how detrimental to the program this state of limbo is. I don't see how boosters are going to pony up 30 million to support a program that looses recruits because of indecision.

Sparko 4 years, 9 months ago

MU did not stop the run all day either. Mangino's team lacked discipline all year long. He lost his edge and 2002 came calling again.

actorman 4 years, 9 months ago

Thanks DDSF. It makes sense that it would be a QB draw, given how incredibly predictable that makes it and how many thousands of times we called that play on third down this year.

I understand what you mean about being in limbo, but I think we have to look at this long-term. Anyone who's been a Jayhawk fan for more than a few years has seen WAY too many seasons like this one. By far the most important thing is to make the right decision. If it costs us a little in the short term that's okay with me, as long as it pays off in the long term. Of course the ideal is both, and I would bet you that we have a new coach in place (I'm be shocked if MM isn't gone) by the end of next week. That wouldn't be too long to have to wait, and I would think that most if not all of our recruits would at least be willing to wait that long to see who we get. And I'm quite confident (maybe too much so, but we'll see) that Lew will make a strong choice.

djhawk75 4 years, 9 months ago

Are we really having this discussion? About whether it is a bad decision to pass the ball on first down...with a narrow lead...and only three minutes left to play...the ball spotted in the shadow of the our own end zone...and their fans screaming over the QB's cadence? You mean there is actually a good reason to pass in that situation? Seriously? You know, you wouldn't want to risk incurring a safety or something...Oh, nevermind.

optichawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Dang, I wish someone had an opinion about Chuck's article and/or the last 3 min. of the MU game... : P I agree to a point with old Chuck, but only in that we had the most incredible year in 2007/08 and couldn't parlay it on the recruiting trail or we would have been in a better position on the O-Line and depth on D. In reflection on the season, we played moderate to worse against the first 5 opponents and it caught up to us against a very weak CU, an uninspired OU and worse effort against the Mildcats. The only thing consistently worse was the special teams (i.e. punt and KO return teams). Against MU, if we learned how to field a punt and not let it roll inside the 5 yard line, things would have been much different. Mangino talks about discipline/structure...how 'bout mixing in fundamentals too. Good football teams use Spring Ball to figure out the offensive line and don't tinker with it the last 3-4 games of the season. Finally, its been well documented that Mangino's clock management has much to be desired, so don't blame the throats for stating the obvious.

All things said, I wasted money on every game I attended which includes all Home & Away games except Texas and MU where I couldn't take Mangino-gate any longer. I now agree with Lou think of this more like a business than just a fan. Protect the significant investment made in the program and don't let an individual and his actions bring it down. If Lou makes a good choice, I will be glad to show up both home and away next year. Otherwise, I will be like an Mizzou Basketball fan and show up dressed as an empty seat.

Kent Wells 4 years, 9 months ago

Fundamentals... Again, all considered, why didn't Reesing extend the ball beyond the goal as he was being tackled??? At least try! He could have. I think that is more evidence of a poorly coached team.

Lance Hobson 4 years, 9 months ago

Without Reesing and company next year, things are going to be painful with the clowns we have on defense.

John Randall 4 years, 9 months ago

I've only read 30 or so comments, and most of them mirror the TV comments, without any regard to the situation. Nearly every comment reflects the cheap hindsight spouted by those pundits (not). It's hard to reconsider an opinion once it has formed -- we might find out we are wrong.
Without the knee-jerk everyone has when challenged, slow down, think for yourself, and read on.

There were two teams on the field.

The previous time, MU lined up soft in the middle, and our play call took advantage. This time, MU single-(un)covered the best receiver in the conference, and our play call (not the execution, the call) took advantage.

It didn't work, as didn't the next two plays, so it is easy enough to label them 'dumb calls' but had they produced a first down and allowed us to run down the clock, we'd be calling them genius.

The stacked middle also ruled out any kind of crossing pattern, as it would likely have been knocked down by the line. There wasn't time for Todd to read the field, so he took the first shot that was open. Considering his/our recent struggles, it's not surprising he got too much distance on the throw. Damned shame this throw will be remembered after so many great ones aren't.

ROCK CHALK! THANKS, 'HAWK SENIORS!

jwhitakr 4 years, 9 months ago

KU62 said: The stacked-in-the-box defense MU lined up in forced KU not to run the play Warriner had called, and the play he checked to could have gotten us out from under the goal post.

The stacked-in-the-box defense by MU did not FORCE anything. As has already been pointed out in many, many comments posted here ... if KU had executed 3x running plays and punted the ball --- the worst situation would have been that they are still are up 3 points with 1:30 or so on the clock. And MU has no timeouts.

If the passing plays had worked, I would never have called them 'genius'. I would have called them extremely dumb playcalls that were extremely lucky to have been successful. Huge difference.

AnotherHawker 4 years, 9 months ago

It is not about play calling - although it stunk. I am on the run the clock side. It is not about abuse - real or imagined. It has turned into a money issue and the big donors have a say - probably the final say. Who has the most moola on which side? The whole thing has been mishandled from the get-go. It will be interesting to see who keeps whose job. Maybe MM and LP both go. For sure KU loses.