Originally published August 24, 2009 at 01:27p.m., updated August 24, 2009 at 03:24p.m.

Report: Heat’s Beasley checks into rehab facility

— Michael Beasley told his personal manager several days ago that he was working out in Houston because it brought "a change of scenery" from Miami and Washington.

What happened next is a mystery, even to those who know Beasley best.

The Miami Heat forward checked into a Houston rehabilitation facility last week and is being treated for various issues, including depression, a person briefed on the situation told The Associated Press on Monday. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of privacy concerns, and could not say whether the other issues included drug or alcohol treatment.

"Based on what I'm getting right now, there's a bit of concern," Bruce Shingler, Beasley's manager, told The AP in a telephone interview. "I don't really know what's going on. I just know his mom is on her way to go see him in Houston. That's it. I'm still collecting a lot of information."

It's unknown how long Beasley will remain at the facility, or whether he will be available when the Heat open training camp on Sept. 28.

Shingler also said he wasn't sure how long Beasley has been in Houston, or specifically why that was his destination.

"From what I know, he was just getting ready for the upcoming season," Shingler said. "The last time I talked to him, everything was going well. All this rehab and all that, I was totally unaware. It all started as he wanted to go work out in a different place because he wanted to get away. Now this, I don't know what's going on."

The spiral appears to have started in earnest Friday, when a photo of the No. 2 pick in the 2008 NBA draft was posted to his Twitter account, in which Beasley displayed a new tattoo across his shoulders. The image also captured what appeared to be a small plastic bag on an adjacent table, the contents of which were unclear.

Beasley was already getting treatment when the photograph — and several comments, including "Feelin like it's not worth livin!!!!!!! I'm done" and "I feel like the whole world is against me I can't win for losin" — were posted on the feed.

Beasley's account has since been closed. Another account he used was shut down July 27.

"What Michael Jr. is going (through) is just a bump on the road we call life," said a posting Monday on Michael Beasley Sr.'s Twitter feed. "Please pray for him, he needs it."

A phone call to Beasley Sr.'s home in Bowie, Md., went unanswered.

Yahoo! Sports first reported Beasley entered a rehab facility.

Beasley finished his rookie season as Miami's second-leading scorer behind Dwyane Wade, averaging 13.9 points and 5.4 rebounds. He spent much of the year as a reserve, and both Heat coach Erik Spoelstra and team president Pat Riley talked often this summer about utilizing Beasley more this coming season at small forward and power forward.

"Beas, we hope that we're going to see a lot of him at the 3 spot," Riley said in a conference call with the team's beat writers earlier this month.

At times this past season, Beasley's immaturity was of some concern to teammates. He typically laughed off such criticism, saying he was young and acting accordingly.

"The guy's got a lot of talent," Wade told The AP during a July conversation on a number of topics, including Beasley's potential. "I can't wait to see what he does with it. He's 20 years old. I'd love to see it all come together this year."

Beasley's second season, much like his first pro year, is off to an ominous start.

Beasley was fined $50,000 by the NBA last September after security officers at the league's rookie symposium detected the scent of marijuana in a hotel room occupied by Beasley, Mario Chalmers, Darrell Arthur and two women. Chalmers and Arthur were fined $20,000; Beasley drew the stiffer fine for at first trying to hide his presence from NBA officials.

Beasley told The AP in January that there were times during his first six months as a professional that he felt "everyone was against me" and that many things "get blown out of proportion" — referring specifically to the rookie symposium incident.

He spent one season at Kansas State before entering the draft, averaging 26.2 points and 12.4 rebounds in his lone college year.

"As a rule, I do not comment about the private lives of my student-athletes, either current or former," Kansas State coach Frank Martin said in a statement. "However, Michael, like every student-athlete I've coached, will always have my undying support."

Comments

Joel Hood 10 years, 5 months ago

Before people jump on here to poke fun - clinical depression is nothing to joke about.
I hope he gets the help he needs.

jayhawkinnc 10 years, 5 months ago

Let's see....he's playing the game he loves and making millions of dollars while doing it, he's financially secure for life, famous and is getting more chicks than you can shake a stick at.

Yep, that would make me depressed too. :(

tkramer 10 years, 5 months ago

Jayhawkinnc, I get what you're saying on the surface, bu clinical depression isn't the same as when you lose a loved one in death or your special someone leaves you. It can be chemical, or a combination of long term Psychological issues. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to have a bunch of bad things going on in your life. Besides, as cool as money and fame is, it has nothing to do with personal happiness.

suttonku 10 years, 5 months ago

Money doesnt cure depression in the least bit...otherwise we wouldnt be hearing about all these rich celebrities going through depression...Hes had problems with drugs in the past...he lived a rough childhood...and he just came off his first NBA season and Im sure it was a letdown to him so I could understand where he would be depressed.

chaggs 10 years, 5 months ago

Depression is a consuming imbalance. While I disagree with Jayhawkinnc, I am encouraged by the fact that he has the resources and where-with-all to recognize the need for help.

Good luck, Michael. Get things right internally, and the rest will follow suit!

Chicago_JHawk 10 years, 5 months ago

The video in this ESPN story indicates that the problem is more for marijuana use than concerns about any serious depression..

John Boyle 10 years, 5 months ago

Am I on the wrong site? What's with all the love for the KSU Beast?

Just kidding. I hope he gets the treatment/help he needs whether it is marijuana or mental. Depression is a nasty nasty beast that some never overcome.

Jayhawk2001 10 years, 5 months ago

Sucks, too bad, great athlete. Maybe he'll get his act together.

Joel Hood 10 years, 5 months ago

I don’t condone pot, but if he is suffering from an anxiety disorder, pot is definitely one-way some people self-medicate. If that’s the case, it’s good that he is getting help now before he really spirals downward.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 5 months ago

So much has occurred in recent years with this young man and it has been tough for him to absorb it all. Wildcat or otherwise, we have to hope and pray that guys like Beasley get grounded, make the most of their unique talents, and have a favorable outcome in their lives.

jayhawkboogeyman 10 years, 5 months ago

Beasley was involved but somehow wasn't the focus of the Chalmers-Arthur hotel incident a year ago, and he invariable looks like he is stoned. He could just be one of those people with that look, but the fact that he has past drug problems suggests otherwise. Drug addiction is defined as chemical dependency with life-altering consequences, and, marijuana really was a contributing factor in the hotel incident, for which at least Chalmers and Arthur received penalties from their employers, that basically fits the criteria. This is a huge problem in the NBA that no one wants to confront, but hopefully this and Lebron James' candidness about his drug use could begin to bring the problem to light and change NBA culture. After "pimped out" SUVs and superfluously gaudy jewelry, drugs are probably a big reason why a lot of former NBA players are broke.

Michael Leiker 10 years, 5 months ago

Yeah this is too bad, I hope he gets it taken care of...as an aside can you imagine how much pot Zach Greinke would have to smoke if he played for the Yankees???

hawk316 10 years, 5 months ago

I'm impressed with the empathy and concern thus far expressed in the above posts. It would be easy to kick this kid (still only 20) when he's down, but you guys have really shown some class in the way you've responded to this article. I especially appreciated cshjhawk's comments. Way to go, guys.

Scott Smetana 10 years, 5 months ago

I hope he gets well, he's a great competitor and from what I've heard.. a good guy.
I also heard he's big into weed... I've seen many people addicted to this 'non-addictive' drug that leads to bigger drugs and a downward spiral. I hope he kicks the habit and rejoins Mario soon.

jayhawkfan78 10 years, 5 months ago

I am very proud to be a JAYHAWK fan right now. I was expecting to read a bunch of negative posts here and was plesantly suprised. Keep up the positive vibes jayhawk nation!!

Ian Brown 10 years, 5 months ago

Don't be too quick to blame the old reefer. Working out in H-Town, he might have been lured into doing some of that "Lean." Some of that "Syzurp." Some of that "purple stuff." For those who don't know what I'm talking about, some of that prescription cough medicine which contains codeine. Houston is notorious for the purple stuff, especially in the "hip-hop/gangsta/screwed & chopped" rap scene which hails from the south and mainly Houston, Texas. For example, google rappers Pimp C, Big Moe, producer DJ Screw, etc. All were talented rappers and/or producers whose lives were taken early after years of addiction to narcotic cough syrup. I know it seems far fetched, but with the way many athletes try to live similar lifestyles to their favorite musicians, it could be a possibility. Moreover, depression is one of the major withdrawal symptoms that occurs when trying to quit the "purp." Lastly, people usually don't go to rehab for "marijuana addiction." I'm sure I'm way off, and I hate making assumptions, but it's just a thought.

hailtoku 10 years, 5 months ago

Not that Beasley has come close to reaching his potential- but a lot of athletes who reach the pinnacle of their careers fall into depression. Especially players who win a championship, start to become depressed at the feeling of accomplishing their life goal, especially at such a young age. Beasley has nowhere to go from the NBA. That can be hard to face, no matter how much money one makes.

Joe Ross 10 years, 5 months ago

They tried to make me go to rehab, I said, "No, no, NO!"

Seriously, I agree with the posts above which seem to distill to this: separate the person from the athlete. He is human, after all. Flesh and blood like us. I dont have to like how he was a good player against us or that he helped to end a streak. I dont have to respect the trash talking he did ("...we're gonna beat em here...we're gonna beat em in Allen Field House...we're gonna beat em in Africa..."). God knows I dont like the college he played for. But technically speaking he's still classified as Homo sapiens.

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 5 months ago

I liked Beasley even while he was at KSU, and I respected him especially after they ended the streak. I was one of the people who was clamoring for him deserving to be the number 1 overall pick in the draft and I paid attention to him and Mario all season for Miami.

I'm sure that I'm not the only person here who likes Michael or at least respects him, and I like to think that I would hope for the best for him even if I didn't like him as a player. But honestly it's hard for me to think of myself being as concerned for Linas Kleiza as I am for Michael Beasley.

Damian Glaze 10 years, 5 months ago

I can't believe most of you are believing this BS. Replace the name Beasley with Lohan or Spears or Jackson and the first thing out of everyone's mouth is cover up and PR spin. That is exactly what is going on here. Soon enough another story is going to surface about some other drug, sex or other deviant addiction. Clinical depression my ass - although spending more than a weekend in Manhattan could do it to almost anyone. I have nothing against Beasley and I actually believed he would have participated in the all-star game multiple times. However, all the athletic ability in the world can't keep you from yourself when you continue to act like an overgrown 16 year old. Waaaaaaaaaaaa! If you can't straighten up your act then take your millions and go bury your head in the sand. That is why Darnell Jackson will go down as one of my favorite (if not my top) Jayhawks ever. He could have felt sorry for himself many of times. However, if he wanted to elevate himself he chose to work, work, work. Beasley is just another spoiled uber talented kid that looks for the easy way out when the going gets tough. Whatever...

yovoy 10 years, 5 months ago

i like(d) beasley most of the time. he seems like a kid that likes playing basketball. maybe another season or 2 of college might have gone far in helping him grow up and to help him get anchored. i hope he gets the treatment he needs (for depression, not weed, even if he DOES smoke it), and comes through it, and is better for it all.

if you want to see what a "kid" he is (and maybe how weird he is) look for him lip-syncing to "i will survive" on youtube. kinda cool, methinks.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 5 months ago

He's had a kid out of wedlock so he can a least function that way.

KGphoto 10 years, 5 months ago

Been to rehab. Beasley doesn't need it. Unless we're talking about remedial Jr. High. No, he needs a slap in the face and a kick in the butt. But NBA stars and future stars don't get that. Apparently they get unbridled sympathy.

Unfortunately society is breeding this story and anything that stirs up garbage or controversy. How is it that only 1-in-a-million can have the tools to get to the show, yet 1 in 10 of those seem to F-it-up badly? Answer: Because the American public is more interested in that. And since you only get Mike, Kobe or LeBron once in a generation, society is forced to feed on a Michael Beasley 4 or 5 times a year. Minimum!

His up-bringing wasn't so tough. I know over a dozen people who had it worse but made chicken salad out of it. He's messed up all right. But we should only hold ourselves responsible. If it weren't for us, he would probably be a very happy bus driver instead of a millionaire victim.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 5 months ago

I agree with the folks who are trying to make sense on here. Clinical depression is a monster. It doesn't matter how rich you are of how great your life-style is. It makes the world crash in on you for hours on end. No matter what you have going for you, it isn't worth anything and any negatives are amplified x1000. I don't condone his pot use neccessarily, but maybe he chose pot instead of some of the prescribed medication that in all actuality has nearly the same effect.

I suffered from it and overcame it. But I can honestly tell you it was the worst feeling I've ever experienced. You cannot sleep or eat, and doing your job, no matter what it is becomes very, very hard. You just want to sleep all of the time, except you can't because you are constantly worried about a million things however unlikely.

kugrad93 10 years, 4 months ago

Speaking of KSU, here's something interesting for those of you who like to complain about Dugan being from Mizzou. ...

chanutejayhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

I like all the posts on here. I tend to gravitate more towards those by jayhawkerjoel, ibrown3, Deke13, and KGphoto. Its a terrible thing that happened to him, but I think you could see it coming. Then again, I have friends who have gone through similar situations as he has growing up, and they are "happy" and doing well. One that comes to mind is even in the process of getting his PhD. Having a bad childhood definately hinders you, but you can't blame everything wrong with your life on that. I'll tell you what it is, Beasley needs a daddy! Hope John Lucas can fill that role.