Originally published April 13, 2009 at 09:13p.m., updated April 13, 2009 at 10:08p.m.

Collins, Aldrich announce plans to return to KU next season

Kansas guard Sherron Collins (in red) gets a hug from Representative Barbara Ballard as center Cole Aldrich (in white) talks with media members after the KU basketball awards banquet. Collins and Aldrich announced at the banquet Monday at the Holidome that they would return to KU next season and not jump to the NBA.

Aldrich and Collins plan to return to KU

The top two scorers on the 2008-2009 Kansas men's basketball team are returning for another year in the Phog.

photo

Kansas coach Bill Self cracks a joke as he recognizes members of his staff for their contributions in this 2009 file photo. Bill Self took time during his Elite camp for blue-chip high school prospects to meet with the Journal-World in support of Perkins.

photo

Kansas center Cole Aldrich, left, entertains the crowd at the basketball awards banquet April 13 at the Holidome, next to Sherron Collins, center, and coach Bill Self. Aldrich and Collins recently expressed no regrets in electing to stay in school for another year. The NBA Draft is tonight in New York.

Audio clips

Collins, Aldrich staying at KU

Cole Aldrich and Sherron Collins — who were named co-winners of the Danny Manning/Mr. Jayhawk Award — received thunderous ovations after delivering their acceptance speeches at Kansas University’s men’s basketball awards banquet Monday night at the Holidome.

Three hundred or so fans stood and roared their approval after the two first-team All-Big 12 picks revealed they’d put their NBA dreams on hold and would be back for the 2009-10 season.

“That’s two good recruits we just signed for next year,” KU coach Bill Self said, moments after sophomore center Aldrich, then junior guard Collins, confirmed they were staying at KU one more year.

“I can’t wait till next year when we try to go for one more (national championship),” Aldrich said.

Once the applause died down, Self asked Aldrich if that meant he was definitely returning to KU.

“As long as you don’t throw me under the bus next year,” Aldrich cracked.

Next, it was Collins’ turn at the microphone.

“It was a great year. Like Cole said, I will be back next year,’’ Collins declared in ending the 21⁄2-hour banquet on a high note.

Aldrich, Collins and Self met with the media after the banquet to explain the decision-making process.

Turns out it was a slam dunk for both players.

“The thing that was most unique was, neither one wanted any information. I didn’t get any information for either one of them. They said they didn’t need it,” Self said of information from NBA executives about where they might be selected if they entered the 2009 Draft.

“Cole said, ‘If I’m here one more year, I can come so close to getting my degree, which will guarantee me graduating from Kansas, and I’m having the time of my life.’

“Sherron will graduate because he only needs 20 hours after this year. They will have a chance to be All-American and do what they both want to do: be part of a legacy that brings home two national championships,” Self added.

Collins — likely a second-round draft pick in the June draft — informed Self of his decision at the State Farm All-America Awards banquet, which honored 10 players, at the Final Four in Detroit.

“Sherron walked up to me after the banquet and said, ‘I’ve made up my mind.’ I said, ‘Oh, geez,’’’ Self recalled with a gasp. “He said, ‘I’m staying.’ I said, ‘I thought you wanted information.’ He said, ‘I don’t need information. I know what’s best for me.’’’

Collins said he figured he could increase his NBA Draft stock by staying another year. More importantly, he knew a decision to stay would please his mother, Stacey Harris.

“My mom had bugged me about having a Senior Day the whole year. She gets her Senior Night. I get my degree, and hopefully we’ll get another national championship,” Collins said.

Harris, who attended the banquet, admitted she was in favor of her son putting off the NBA another year.

“Ever since his freshman year, I said, ‘I need my Senior Day,’’’ Harris said. “It’s not about basketball to me. You need an education regardless, and the people here are great. He made a good choice.”

Collins also conferred with fellow Chicago Crane High graduate/NBA player Will Bynum, who told him it would be a good idea to return to school.

“Will Bynum told Sherron in his home, ‘There are only two places for you to play — the NBA or Kansas — and if you are not 100-percent sure the NBA is right for you this year, then make sure you stay at Kansas,’’’ Self said. “That’s a guy he grew up idolizing. I think he (Collins) made a good percentage play based on where he is and where he could be at the end of next year. He could help himself a lot (by staying).”

Meanwhile, Aldrich decided he’d be back for his junior year while sitting in his Jayhawker Tower apartment shortly after the conclusion of the season.

“I wanted to take some time to take in everything,” Aldrich said. “I was watching the highlights of the season back in my room on my computer. I was getting goosebumps. I was like, ‘I’ve got to come back.’’’

He spoke with Collins about the matter.

“We talked a little bit. I said, ‘I am having way too much fun. I want us to do a lot of things very few people have done,’’’ Aldrich said. “Sherron and I talked about this ... we could be those special names in Kansas history that all the little kids look up to.”

Aldrich’s family members agreed.

They didn’t encourage him to go pro despite the fact many experts said he’d be a lottery pick, guaranteed millions of dollars.

“My mom was the one like, ‘Hey, you’ve got to go back. College is the time where you have most of your memories,’’’ Aldrich said.

“Nobody has graduated in my immediate family from a university. That’s huge for me,” he added.

Aldrich won’t earn enough hours to graduate after his junior year, but said he’d complete work on his degree in Lawrence or in an NBA city the following year.

Self said fans should not expect Aldrich to be back for Year No.4.

“There will not be any questions about, ‘Is Cole staying another year after this one,’’’ Self said.

“He is coming back for his junior year. I can’t see it being anything past that if he has a good junior year. ... With Sherron being a senior, these guys know the safety net is not there any more. They will be more in line than they ever have been making sure next year is special.”

KU assuredly will be ranked in the top five next preseason, maybe even No. 1. Collins’ mom is confident KU’s collection of players could claim the second national title in three years.

“I want the old ring (from ’08). He gets the new ring,” Harris joked of a possible deal with Collins.

“I would think they would do everything possible to make sure they go out in style,” Self said.

Awards: There was just one award presented at the banquet for the second straight year. Self decided last year that it was too difficult to single out individual players and scrapped various awards handed out in the past.

Personnel: KU returns all five starters from last season: Collins, Aldrich, Tyshawn Taylor, Marcus Morris and Brady Morningstar.

Returnees who played significant minutes include Tyrel Reed, Markieff Morris, Mario Little and Travis Releford.

Also in the mix next season will be newcomers Elijah Johnson, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey (after first semester).

Currently at 12 scholarship players (one under the limit), KU is still in the running for four players: Xavier Henry, 6-foot-6 from Oklahoma City; Lance Stephenson, 6-6 from Brooklyn, N.Y.; John Wall, 6-3 from Raleigh, N.C.; and Daniel Orton, 6-10 from Oklahoma City, who may ask out of his letter of intent at Kentucky.

“We can always get better. We have a scholarship to do so. We are recruiting guys,” Self said. “Even if this team returns status quo, I think we have a chance to have a really good team. If we add anything through the spring process, it would solidify our chances for making a deep run next year.”

Comments

MrPilot 5 years, 7 months ago

YES! You guys made the right decision. Let's win another one in 2010! Rock Chalk!

rockchalkin54 5 years, 7 months ago

Woo hoo! Bring the championship back to Lawrence!

Pam McCormick 5 years, 7 months ago

Rock Chalk Champions in 2010. Thanks Sherron, Thanks Cole

Derek Conway 5 years, 7 months ago

YES!!! a shot at two in three years! keep focused Jayhawks!

bringheatwavewheat 5 years, 7 months ago

Awesome. Aldrich turned down the lure of buttload of $ to stay...some will say he's foolish but you wait...he'll be a lottery lock next year.

rockchalkmillhouse25 5 years, 7 months ago

Sweet!!! Rock Chalk!!!! Can't wait til the season starts!

Todd Mobray 5 years, 7 months ago

Good luck and good health to both of you next year and in the future.

MrPilot 5 years, 7 months ago

I think Cole could potentially be the POY next year. Another year under the wise tutelage of Coach Manning will make him an even better player than he is now. Next year is going to be awesome.

Tony Bandle 5 years, 7 months ago

Watch the dominoes fall now....who will be the first to the phone to call HCBS...X/CJ, Lance, John Wall.....It turns out KU wasn't being dangled by the OAD's.. the OADs were being dangled by KU.

Preseason #1 for 2009/2010.... multiple Big Mondays and national broadcasts....an All-American center to clear the middle.....an All-American guard to receive passes from......the National Coach of the Year.....maybe HCBS should put the phone on automatic and leave a message to all...."thanks for calling, we'll get back to you" :}

Tamaralaug 5 years, 7 months ago

Awesome news!! Thank you guys for coming back. Cant wait until year. Rock Chalk!

Joe Baker 5 years, 7 months ago

Thank you Cole and Sherron!! Have a great Summer and a safe off season!!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

whitechocolate 5 years, 7 months ago

Great news. If all goes well these guys may have just put their jerseys in the Fieldhouse rafters.

Dale Kroening 5 years, 7 months ago

Rock Chalk Jayhawk !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great news.

jayhawkinATL 5 years, 7 months ago

Now a late signing is nothin' but icin' on the cake!!!

douggiejug 5 years, 7 months ago

There goes the year....... Pressure will get to these ego-maniacs

jayhawkboogeyman 5 years, 7 months ago

Not surprising, but I am really really happy it is official. Now we lock up one more top recruit and "suffer" through a great football season until we get to basketball. Should be another insanely good year for all the Jayhawks.

Max Ledom 5 years, 7 months ago

I just got goosebumps! Yes!!! go Hawks!! another in 2010 baby!

Brett Glover 5 years, 7 months ago

Season tickets are 1800. Just saying hah!

Chris Corley 5 years, 7 months ago

You are cementing your Jayhawk legacies! Welcome back; now and forever!

Is it October yet?

Brennan Keller 5 years, 7 months ago

yes!!! it makes us hawk fans look forward to the 2009-2010 KU basketball even more! hat was a smart choice fellas not only are you going to win the 2010 NCAA championship but you will both be higher draft picks as well! This is great news! Now we will be set if henry commits!

ROCK CHALK!!

Joe Baker 5 years, 7 months ago

OK...Lance, X and CJ ! Your court of Phog awaits your decision!!!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk Rock Chalk KU

Go Jayhawks

Matt1958 5 years, 7 months ago

What GREAT news! I'm still sorry to be loosing Quintrell and Tyrone, but I understand their wanting more playing time. I know everybody is fired up about Xavier and/or Lance, but I have a feeling Elijah may surprise everybody!

emillasap 5 years, 7 months ago

Can I get an AMEN from the congregation!!

Brett Glover 5 years, 7 months ago

Must..... have....... VIDEO COVERAGE!!!!!!

Kyle Helmer 5 years, 7 months ago

douggiejug,

Worst comment I have ever heard. Why would you even take the time to log in to this site? Would you rather have a bunch of walk ons on the team?

IA4jayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

Can we ban douggiejug? You cannot be negative on a night like tonight!

tstanlick1909 5 years, 7 months ago

hallelujah, true jayhawks

aldrich and collins have the potential to go down as some of the most decorated jayhawks in history, put their names in the rafters and be part of an amazing kansas basketball history

cant wait for november

rock chalk

Lance Hobson 5 years, 7 months ago

Yesss!!! And they didn't make us suffer like these recruits are doing - thanks for that!!

HaiL2ThAjHaWkX 5 years, 7 months ago

i second the notion to ban douggiejug. Probably a mizzou fan scared that we'll destroy them by 30 next yr

Tribehawk 5 years, 7 months ago

Who would have ever thought--three years ago--that Sherron would be giving a speech on Senior Night? Or that Rush would hang around to be a junior? It's truly a blessing for us to get such talent and to keep them in Lawrence for so long. Maybe God really is a Jayhawk. Anyway, I get the feeling that if we get either X or Lance, neither would end up being an OAD--not if history is our guide.

rcjh22 5 years, 7 months ago

I can't wait to see another championship banner in AFH.

Brett Glover 5 years, 7 months ago

Why can't you have jaybates sarcasm Doug, his you can actually yours are just douchy, but jaybates is at least douchy and sarcastic. Come on!

rockchalk007 5 years, 7 months ago

This team will win the Big 12 again, register 30 victories and a Final Four, no doubt.

Imagine these two anchors w/ the twins one year later, ty and ej, mario and X, brady and tyrel as key subs...and the new back up center to learn the ropes in practice.

Rock Chalk Nat'l Champs - a dynasty is born! Great news and smart choice.

FairgroveJayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

I believe I just heard a collective "ahh crap" from the other big twelve schools.

chriz 5 years, 7 months ago

With all due respect, Mrs. Aldrich: In your son's case, education is not more important than basketball. It is for terrible b-ball players like me, but not for your son. Saying that it's more important than basketball is to say that, if you had to choose one for your son, you'd choose an education. I think we both know that you'd choose an NBA career for him than anything else, although I'm sure he'd do very well at a lot of things.

TaCityHawkFan 5 years, 7 months ago

Fantastic! I look forward to next basketball season! It will be great! I am glad delighted to see year after year that we have great players that are staying 3 and even 4 years. That is the mark of a great program with much to offer young men.

I am ecstatic.... can't wait to see what other pieces fall in to place.

BrockIII 5 years, 7 months ago

Wow, we just went from a possible rebuilding year to title contention. Frickin amazing.

KUSmurf 5 years, 7 months ago

Fairgrove, you have no idea how hard that made me laugh.

rockchalk10jk 5 years, 7 months ago

Wow. i have never been so excited for a new basketball season to come. unfortunately we have to wait through an amazing football season with reesing chucking to briscoe. see the burden of being a jayhawk? Rock Chalk

KU_Phogified 5 years, 7 months ago

Such acts of unselfishness these days are indeed rare. I truly wonder if these two young guys actually know how many thousands and thousands of people they just made happy! This certainly brings tears of joy to my eyes; what wonderful and uplifting news after sitting through all the current recruiting uncertainties. I'm SO glad our Generals are back!! Thank you Sherron and Cole for returning!

jaybate 5 years, 7 months ago

"Self said after the banquet he didn't even have to check the draft status of both players because they were certain that they wanted another year of college."--LJW

We've all been Selfed (a new verb I've coined to describe being mislead for the good of Kansas basketball).

Previously, he has said he has been collecting information for the two players all this time.

Which is it, Coach Self?

I wrote a couple days ago that Self has been sweatin' Calipari, Henry, Stephenson, Orton and Wall.

I understated.

I thought he was sweatin'em under the excuse of collecting information.

It turns out he was sweatin'em without even collecting information.

I'm not even sure Self wants any of these guys, now.

He must want one, or he wouldn't have cleared out Appleton and Thomas, but I have a feeling the one he wants is not the one everyone thinks he wants.

drgnslyr was right after all. Self wants Orton, not the superstars Henry and Stephenson.

Note his comment about this being Aldrich's last year.

"Self said fans should assume that next year will be Aldrich's final year at KU."

Bells and whistles.

Sirens and flashing lights.

Self wants Orton!

Self wants Orton now, so he'll have a year of seasoning and be ready to step in when Cole leaves after next year.

Self, the master camoflageur, has been using the klieg lights of Henry and Stephenson to keep everyone's eyes off Orton.

Damn, he's a sly one.

Orton coming means Marcus Morris can shift to the 3. I suggested that Marcus might make the switch back to the three some time ago, but even doubted it too much myself to believe Self might go there. Marcus's 6'8" and 40% trey shooting could break the back of many a team and he could split the 3 with Mario Little, which would make us biiiiiiig at the three. This would in turn let Brady move back to the 2 and split time with Tyshawn, while Tyrel backs up Sherron. This would make us two deep everywhere on the perimeter, plus 5 deep at the bigs..

Of course, Self will take either Henry, or Stephenson, if he can get them--probably Stephenson, but the guy he really wants is Orton. Orton creates the continuity inside that he needs while he goes out again next year and locks down the 1 and the 3 that he wants.

Ol' Gun Slit Eyes Bill Self has to be grinning like the cheshire cat tonight.

Appleton and Thomas cleared.

Collins and Aldrich returning.

Orton should be the next to fall.

Then Henry or Stephenson, as icing, and he's not promising either one they'll start, because he doesn't need to. If they want to come and earn their way, they can.

Eddie! Eddie! Your boy, Bill, he's pinning their ears back.

Shoot, Eddie, I'll buy you a Shirley Temple myself.

shamrockhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

I will never know what it is like to pass up large amounts of money to do something that was really important to me, nor am I sure I would have the strength of character to do it. I am amazed at the quality of these men almost half my age.

Rock Chalk

raoulduke 5 years, 7 months ago

Lance or Xavier? Don't whiff on both...my heart is with Xavier, remembering vintage '80s Jayhawk Carl Henry. He was a truly great player on teams not as talented as now. To see another Henry dominate at AFH would be special. Lance is an unbelievable talent as well. Don't whiff on both.

kranny 5 years, 7 months ago

Chriz, First of all it was Collins' mother who made the comment not Aldrich. Secondly, being an educator and a father, your comment is about as "uneducated" as it gets. I hope you have a change of mindset before you have kids, or change your mindset if you already have them. Sherron just made the wisest and most responsible choice that any young man and father could make coming from where he grew up.

kufan89 5 years, 7 months ago

Best News ever! I'm really happy they are staying and can't wait for next season. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!!!!!!

chriz 5 years, 7 months ago

kranny, first of all--my mistake on the student. Being that it's Sherron, and considering his draft status (and background, as you've mentioned), I MAY also recommend his staying in school. Not sure.

But fyi, I happen to have children and a master's degree, and what I'm talking about is the comment that education is more important than basketball. My guess is that their basketball education is much more valuable than their academic education. Being that they're obviously as gifted as they are, basketball is their calling.

rawkhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

Cole and Sherron, I love you man. I love thinking back to 2008, and I really look forward to another title run. 2009 was a great year as well...Sherron and Cole, you are the glue to this team. I trust Self will do what's best for this team...things are looking up!

Jaybate, I disagree that it is Orton that is probably next on board. I really see a #3 (such as Xavier or Lance) rounding out this preseason #1 team.

Tony Bandle 5 years, 7 months ago

Fairgrove and KUSmurf...that was an "Ahh Crap" from the entire Division One!!!! :}

Jaybate...I can almost picture you dancing around your living room clicking your heels for joy....actually the mental image is just a little disturbing BUT the cause for celebration is exquisitely appropriate.

drgnslayr..exactly right. It's not so much as who but more like how many!!

douggiejug...are you memphistiger in disguise??

This occasion deserves a Celebratory Haiku:

Cole, Sherron return Championship Horizons Crimson and Blue, rule!!

Jonathan Andrews 5 years, 7 months ago

Thank you, Sherron and Cole. You have stepped in and become the next great leaders to walk through the Fieldhouse. Now go and make some history for us! Rock Chalk!

CaramelMacchMan 5 years, 7 months ago

This is the closest KU can come to be compared with Florida program! KU's Football programs is right where we wanted! Looking forward to Jan 2010 and April 2010.

John Randall 5 years, 7 months ago

chriz, I endorse kranny 100%, but I also want to call out your stupidity in assigning your own immature, materialistic values to either of these men's mother. You may learn, you may not, but you don't know $#!Z.

Tribehawk 5 years, 7 months ago

KU62, there's nothing immature or materialistic about acknowledging the fact that both of these young men will make more money playing basketball than most human beings will ever earn with a bachelor's degree. Education in the abstract is important, but most of us who live in the real world and have to work to put food on the table know that most of the time, education is a means to an end. Let's not fool ourselves. These young men aren't coming back just to get a degree or because they value education above all else. But there's nothing wrong with that. More power to them.

Tom Gillaspie 5 years, 7 months ago

Wow!!! Great news that these two are returning. Whatever happens with X or Lance or Orton we will have a great team. So, how about we talk about what the two recruits we have signed can do, and not what some potential recruit can do? With or without a One-and-Done recruit it is a long strange trip from Late Night to Championship Night. Be patient and enjoy every game along the way. I for one appreciate the success of this past year and look forward to the way the ball will bounce next fall. It is however a long damn time until then:)
ROCK CHALK all the way!!!!!!

Kevin Long 5 years, 7 months ago

Awesome! I love this guys. I would have loved them if they left too, but wow!

eastTXjayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

i'm certainly much more surprised to find a Haiku on here than i was that the boys are coming back. i need a new avitar, i've grown tired of vince the shamwow guys mugshot. if it weren't bed time, i'd try to come up with a Haiku about saying goodbye to vince the shamwow guys avitar.

and_one 5 years, 7 months ago

Chriz - who gives a dump about our master's degree, you can flip burgers with many other master's/PHD's these days. These guys are living the dream. Collins can get his degree and coach at many levels, or chase any other dream if he doesn't last in the NBA. Cole can come back to finish his degree while making BIG $$$ at the next level. Let's enjoy the moment - this is big for the KU program

Mike Crosbie 5 years, 7 months ago

Lance, X, Wall, Orton.......you snooze you lose..... which one wants it? whichever one it is better schedule a press conference , like NOW.... "You snooze you lose" !!!

Rock Chalk ChampionHawk !!!

lrahardja 5 years, 7 months ago

KU Athletic should be proud, someone as gifted as Sherron chose to finish college education above all. Education will last him a lifetime.

Looking at the current line-up, it makes sense to recruit top SG position #3. Someone who can penetrate and create his own shot and finish around the basket, also, a dependable long range shooter. Either X or LS fits that profile, X is a better jump shooter.

Hint to X and LS: A chance to join an elite BB school with realistic goal of NCAA final 4 or even more.

Alex Wishart 5 years, 7 months ago

this is amazing! what a great way to start my week/spring/rest of my life. Cola and my Sherrona need to bring home the bacon.

chriz 5 years, 7 months ago

and_one--I completely agree. I consider my master's degree virtually worthless. Not to say that EVERY master's degree is worthless, but I do consider education a means to an end more than anything. If it's not a means to an end, then it's an unnecessary privilege, so what's so bad about bypassing that and making money for you and your family? I don't happen to think that is stupid, immature, or materialistic. There are more things in life than a college education that form a person's character. Starting with parents.

I will, however, concede that it was my mistake that it was Sherron's mother, not Cole's, who made the statement.

chapel4ku 5 years, 7 months ago

Hot diggity dog boy's!! Let's go get us another championship!!!! Let the countdown to Late Night begin...

Jaybate: LOVE. YOUR. COMMENTS!

Brett Glover 5 years, 7 months ago

Aldrich and the Celtics 2011 nba champs!! called it, right here and now people!

jtfishburn 5 years, 7 months ago

So when do tickets for Lucas Oil go on sale? Here we come baby. It's gonna be such a fun season to root for the Jayhawks!

and_one 5 years, 7 months ago

mizzousucks89 - Aldrich will be double/triple teamed all year long. It's gonna take a lot of support and teamwork. How 'bout KU and the Celtics....

Brett Glover 5 years, 7 months ago

What's this crap I hear about Sherron coming back for the education?

I gotta tell you that sounds dumber than dougiejug's sarcasm! Sherron and cole want rings, and a hold out on the bigger bucks but mainly that eye candy.

Sherron is there for african american studies. If that doesn't scream "in no way, shape or form thinking about a career other than basketball" I don't know what will.

Gotta go dream of a wonderful world where latenight is in May.

Night all.

Rock Chalk, Deuces.

and_one 5 years, 7 months ago

mizzousucks89 - typical, talk smack and bail. My post said Sherron gets his degree, not the same as an education. The "eye candy" you talk about will get about $25 at the pawn shop. Sherron does not have a long NBA possibility, but can live a good life in other phases of basketball. Cole - diff story, he has good NBA potential, but not a superstar.

Brett Glover 5 years, 7 months ago

Hey, I wasn't smacking talk to anyone. I am happy Sherron gets his degree like his uncle wants him to do. And what makes you so sure Cole won't shine in the NBA, if he stays healthy all year there's no doubt in my mind he'll get a starting job wherever he goes, that is if he doesn't go somewhere like phoenix.

Personally, I would love to see him in Boston helping out KD, but he would do best in Minnasota, which would be great for him and his family.

And I do agree with you on Cole and every opposing team throwing everything thay have at him, but I have faith that he'll eat em up. :)

B60 5 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate: You say that Self wants Orton. I thought that he had told Orton that he didn't have a scholarship so that is why Orton signed with Kentucky. Are you saying the Coach changed his mind?

BuhrKU5 5 years, 7 months ago

Yes. This is great news. Hell i bet this news is even on the front of the mizzou papers.

kingpin 5 years, 7 months ago

this is awesome! Sherron is going to go down as one of KU's all time greats! His name will be hanging in the rafters one day! Count on it.

KULA 5 years, 7 months ago

I hope those OADs realize how much national air time they'd get at KU. How many Big Monday and weekend network broadcast games are St John's, Maryland & Memphis gonna get next year?

Scott MacWilliams 5 years, 7 months ago

Well alrighty then!! I must say that I didn't really think they would leave, but with all the uncertainty around these unsigned hot recruits, I was beginning to wonder.

I was hoping all along that they would think long and hard about their chance to become truly legendary in the most fabled basketball tradition in the world. How many young men will EVER get that chance??

Rock Chalk, Cole and Sherron!! Keep improving, growing and you'll lead us all the promised land of hoops!

KULA 5 years, 7 months ago

Roy Williams just crapped his pants

KULA 5 years, 7 months ago

jaybate, why would Self want Orton? He's got a 5 man rotation for the 4/5 spot already and the obvious weak spot is the 2/3.

actorman 5 years, 7 months ago

"Hell i bet this news is even on the front of the mizzou papers."

Well of course it is. Bad news always makes the front page! 8)

I echo Mr. Pilot's comment about Cole possibly being POY. I would think he has to be one of the two or three early favorites for the Naismith Award, and I would think there's an excellent chance that he and Sherron will go from both being first-team All Big XII to first-team All American.

NH_JHawk 5 years, 7 months ago

Fantastic news! What a great day to be a Jayhawk! Returning Collins and Aldrich will come along with stratospheric expectations next season. I just hope people realize that regardless of how talented a team is (read UNC circa 2008), it's still very very difficult to win a NC.

Rock Chalk!

Timmay97 5 years, 7 months ago

Chalk it down as the best game of the year next year......BY FAR!!!

Michigan State vs Kansas

AT THE FIELDHOUSE BABY!!! REVENGE WILL BE SWEET!

Gil Ek 5 years, 7 months ago

GREAT NEWS! Something told me these guys had a clue and knew what was best for themselves. After raising two stepkids and a daughter and seeing so many kids today blinded by wrong priorities, (not by daughter, Bonnie-Ball All-Star 2008) great to see what these two special players have done for themselves here. Can't wait to see next year schedule. You know Mr. Self has something else up his sleeve recruiting who he wants to add. I guess there will be a redshirt coming off this years team (Releford?) Will travel the 500 miles to see many games again. All I need is an student agent to help me get tickets. As with the case here, money is not the object. HELP!!!

Machawk 5 years, 7 months ago

I agree with NH_JHawk. It's great to see the loyalty of Cole and Sherron to the program and I think they should have a stong chance for the Final Four but it's no guarantee. I still am haunted by the great team of 1996-97 that had more than enough firepower to win it all. They were ranked #1 virtually all season long and got nipped by a young Arizona team that beat three #1 seeds to win it all. Who knew that Jerod's broken wrist would prevent him playing that game. A healthy Jerod and we probably would have contained the Arizona guards enough to win and move on.

Let's look forward to next year, but be realistic enough to know if takes great players, depth, momentum, and usuallly a little luck to pull it off. Having said that, I sure think we have as good a shot as anybody.

Gil Ek 5 years, 7 months ago

ALL-Time Wins Update, thru 2009. (Unofficial) UK 1988 UNC 1984 KU 1970, (39) MU 1453 -517 from KU. UNC will takeover next year and KU should catch UK the following year.

keith horinek 5 years, 7 months ago

I think Jaybate may be on to something here. I too would rather have Orten than any of the others, at this particular point in time. Orten is another Cole Aldrich. Think about Tyshawn Taylor matching up with Orten in 2010- 2011. You could conceivably have another Collins - Aldrich duo. Untill late in the season I felt like Tyshawn Taylor was as good or better than Mario Chalmers in Mario's freshman year. He has the porential to be very good his junior-senior years and you put another good big guy with him and you have an unstoppable duo.

farnamjayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

Let's see, KU in the CWS in June, The Big XII championship game in December, a BCS bowl in January and cutting down the nets in Indy come April. This will be a good twelve months!

Tribehawk 5 years, 7 months ago

Is Self hiring Billy Gillispie? I know I heard that rumor. If so, I think we get Orton. Otherwise, I'm not so sure. We seem loaded right now with big men. Is Orton willing to spend much of his freshman year on the pine?

John Randall 5 years, 7 months ago

Tribe hawk -- [quote]KU62, there's nothing immature or materialistic about acknowledging the fact that both of these young men will make more money playing basketball than most human beings will ever earn with a bachelor's degree.[/quote]
Nor did I write that. Acknowledgment wasn't my point. I challenge his assignment of the same attitude to the mother (even though he didn't know which one). Throwing that arrogance back in his face was my intent, and I stand by it. He didn't seem like someone who pays much attention to calm, reasoned argument, like considering whether one of these women has a clearer read on life's values. Thanks for the civility in your comments - I prefer that approach myself when it seems likely to be effective.

ROCK CHALK! GO 'HAWKS!

John Randall 5 years, 7 months ago

KULA -- Maybe HCBS doesn't think the world will end in April 2010? Orten will be the kind of inside presence no team ever has too much of for at least two, maybe three or four, years. Henry and Stephenson would be nice to watch, but so will half a dozen or so every year. Do you also think QB, WR, CB are more important on the gridiron than OL and LB?

Joe Baker 5 years, 7 months ago

At this point, the OADs are fading if they don't make a decision. I've been watching clips of EJ, Robinson and Withey. I'm totally convinced they are the real deal!! I would like to land either Lance or X/CJ. But either way, I think we're solid with who we have this season! I really thought Orton was a Jayhawk w/Self and Gillespie working their friendship, but it's looking more like a long shot for Orton! We've got one scholly...who wants it? Will Releford redshirt? Will Brady give his up? Necessary? This is exciting stuff!! Once the pieces are in place, the work begins.

Give Self credit b/c this situation may define him more than anything during his coaching time at KU. He is proving to be not only a coach, but a b-ball administrator!! What a great mind...

FairgroveJayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

If last year was a "rebuilding" year, what do you call next year? A year to pull the trigger? To drop the hammer?

Since the sweet 16 there has been a lot of speculation as to who is coming and going. I can't imagine what it feels like to be a KU basketball player knowing such potential is upcoming. I think this off season will be a huge growth period for these players knowing the team will have such a high level of talent returning. I'm dying to see who puts in the most off season sweat improving their game.

Can Cole possibly improve equally next year?

Can Taylor become the next Mario? Releford the next Rush?

Can Little show big consistency with his mid range jumper?

Will Sherron become a lock down defender? Will Morningstar learn to drive the lane??

hmmmmmmm.....

Tribehawk 5 years, 7 months ago

KU62: My bad. Sometimes its hard to keep track of what exactly is being said on these longer threads.

Someday, Releford will be a stud. If he hangs around here and graduates, he will be all big 12.

I honestly don't even care about X or Lance anymore. Elijah is the real deal.

TexasHawk44 5 years, 7 months ago

I never realized there were so many people on Self's staff. I mean, he must have a massive budget to employ all of the posters on here (myself included...) Trust in Bill Self. He will deliver...

rockemchalkemrobots 5 years, 7 months ago

Looks like it's going to be Lance. Can't afford to wait on the Henry boys. A bird in the hand... That's too bad. I was looking forward to building a name as the "go to" place for legacies after the Giles and Wilkes experiments.

TexasHawk44 5 years, 7 months ago

At this point, I actually hope it is Lance. Unless Henry does something very soon, I am sick of the games. Of course that is only a fan's perspective. Again, I do trust in Self. He is a master recruiter.

4jhawks4ku 5 years, 7 months ago

Collins and Stephenson in the backcourt? Streets of Chi town and Brooklyn...... Oh My......... We got Showtime Babeeeeee... We provide for Championship Ballers here in the Phog...We got Friendly people and Real Fans who apppreciate good ball and show up PUMPED and FRENZIED every game.No empty seats in this fieldhouse. We got students and fans who appreciate the game and tradition. Aldrich and Orten or Aldrich and Withey in the Frontcourt.....Jeeeeeeez....Aldrich will be a Rebounding Machine in 2010... Guaranteed. Other guards maturing and learning Sheron Ball. Possibly Strongest team in the NCAA.......Big Twelve Domination.............Morris twins one year smarter out of their shell and no longer afraid of the hoop. Guns for hire in Reed and MorningStar. Ball with an attitude just like Self constructed the final four Illini backcourt. Spittin out NBA players like a cookie factory year in, year out. Preseason ranked #1 in the nation... Why? Kansas fans know why. Dickie V, be ready to switch yer favorite team cuzz the trains in the station. All Abooooooooard......... Chugga Chugga chugga

John Randall 5 years, 7 months ago

4jhawks -- Can't you please show a little enthusiasm?

BCRavenJHawkfan 5 years, 7 months ago

drgnslayr,

Well stated on the education and life after the NBA. I would add that not all these guys are going to be a Labron James or Michael Jordan and have successful secondary markets. To think that just reaching the promised land of the NBA instantly wipes away lifes problems with "the money" is foolish thinking. These guys have to recognize that life happens and it's not always roses.

As to the education comments by the family members, one has to remember that to some extent it is generational. My generation and older place an extreme value on things that can pay off down the road. We tend to foregoe the immediate gratification.

4jhawks4ku 5 years, 7 months ago

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system...Ha Ha

Greg Lux 5 years, 7 months ago

Yes I would love a chance at another grab of the brass ring. But, most of all I am looking foward to the journey! Damn this should be fun to watch and fun to be a Jayhawk !!!

Great decisions for yourselves and Great fun for all of us who love Kansas Basketball.

Greg Lux 5 years, 7 months ago

Going Going ... get that last spot while it lasts....

Joel Hood 5 years, 7 months ago

Even if we get Lance or X next year, to me the real question will be if the Morris twins can be a legitimate mid-range threat. They have to consistently hit the 5' to 15' shot to open up Cole and our outside shot. I also pray their court IQ also improves, or dumb mistakes will kill us against the elite competition. In HCBS we trust...

4jhawks4ku 5 years, 7 months ago

INFORMATION???? We dont need no stinkin INFORMATION.........

Ben Kane 5 years, 7 months ago

I really don't know where all these Orton rumors are based...I live in KY land and he has done just about everything to show he is still going there. I may be mistaken but i'm pretty sure he flat out denied that he is asking for a release. I don't see him as realistic possibility at all.

4jhawks4ku 5 years, 7 months ago

ATTN: LJW staff, please remove the North Carolina Tarholes ad on your website. I dont think youre going to sell too many of those around here. Thankyou.

palewhale 5 years, 7 months ago

That's great news!

However, for those of you that will be disappointed in anything short of a NC next year, please remember that there has been better teams at KU that weren't able to bring home the hardware. Let's keep expectations realistic and enjoy next season no matter what happens.

jaybate 5 years, 7 months ago

To all regarding Orton vs. X and Lance:

I thought I made clear in my post that Self would like to have X, or Lance, or both.

But the key to the long term health of the program is Orton and not X, or Lance, or both.

As drgnslr said, Orton is a true center--already big and brawny and perhaps even better suited to the age of violence than Cole. Not sayin' he's better than Cole, just that he would probably develop physically into more of a load than Cole.

Look around the roster of plenty that our bigs comprise and we have only one true center--Cole. And Cole is gone after next year. Self knows that coaches without solid post men suited to the age of violence do not have good seasons. Gillispie would still be the UK coach had he landed a post man either year he coached at UK. Because it took him two years to get Orton, his teams could never establish a strong inside game to go with his race horses elsewhere on the floor and UK could never control games, even against lesser teams. Every W is a nail biter without a big, strong post man, who can at least guard the post and clog the middle.

Self knows that Marcus should be at the 3, not the 4. He knows that Kieff, should be at the 4, not the 5. He knows Withey would have to put on 25 pounds to survive war on the blocks at the 5, and if he did put on that kind of weight by the end of next season, with his reputedly good scoring touch, the NBA might not only grab Cole, but Withey, too, next year; then where would KU be in the paint? And if Withey does not muscle up, and if he stays, then KU still needs a brawny guy like Orton in the middle to give Withey another year to build up to age of war standards.

KU needs Orton much, much more than it needs X, or Lance. X, or Lance, turn next year's Mercedes into a Bugatti for one season, but Bugattis are just one breakdown away from being in a garage, and KU would just be one off shooting night away from not winning the ring, which is really all that an OAD next year can do for us, next year.

And even if X and/or L were to stay two seasons, without a big, seasoned post man, KU could not control games with the other bigs, even though Kieff and Robinson and maybe Withey would be pretty good, unless Self hauled in one of those very rare bigs, who can step in and play at tournament level his first year.

X and L are the stuff dreams of another ring are made of, but when you wake up, Orton is the solid reality that programs are built on.

jaybate 5 years, 7 months ago

For those who say, well, but Self passed on Orton earlier in the season, why would Self want him so much now?

Early in the season Aldrich it seemed almost certain that Aldrich would be here two more years. Early in the season, Self still thought Kieff might be a long term answer at the 5. Early in the season, Self had a chance for Demarcus Cousins and other bigs. Early in the season Self had not watched what happens to inexperienced bigs in the age of violence for a couple of years. Early in the season, Self was obsessed with landing the blue chip 3 that had eluded him since he missed James Anderson. Early in the season, he did not know Brady could shoot 45% from trifectaville and defend opponent's best perimeter player from the three. Early in the season he did not know that Marcus could shoot 40% from trey, even though he knew he had to play him out of position for a year as the team garbage man from the beginning. Early in the season it was not clear whether Cole could control a game from inside. It was not proven that Sherron could carry a team on his back for stretches.

So: early in the season, Bill Self went to bed each night praying, "Lord, bring me a Bugatti three, like Brandon was, and help Aldrich develop into a credible big man who can at least guard the post like Kaun did."

But after Cole Aldrich got his nose redesigned and played poorly for a few games, and KU struggled mightily, Bill Self saw what life could be like without at least a load like Kaun, who could guard the post.

Since that frightening basketball equivalent of an existential moment, Self has luxuriated in what he himself has called the surprisingly rapid development of Cole Aldrich on the inside, all the while knowing injury could take Cole in a blink and that Cole could easily jump after the season. He now knows Cole will go after next. And now, too, Bill Self has just seen what happens to a darned smart basketball buddy like Billy Gillispie, at a place like UK, when he couldn't keep the 5 staffed with a legitimate age of violence 5. Now, Bill Self has a vivid sense of how lonely life could get at a place with high expectations, if he lets the pantry get unstocked with legitimate 5s.

Guards and small forwards? You can just hear old Eddie on the other end of the line. "We love them little'uns cause that's what we were kid, but 5s are what makes the difference between job security and what have ya done for me lately."

jaybate 5 years, 7 months ago

Bill can develop, camoflage, patch and paste with guards in his sleep. Any coach who can get to the Sweet 16 filling with the likes of Brady, who is too short, Tyshawn, who can't dribble, Tyrel, who is too short, and Little, who can't seem to do anything but foul and shoot fadeaways you don't need, well, a coach like that can scuffle by with most anything, so long as he can keep one great PGs around. Guards he can pluck out of juco, or crib out of transfers, when coaches get fired or move on. Guards he can dazzle on an inhome with the best of them. He speaks guard, because he was a guard.

But true 5s? These are still the infrastructure of the game, especially the infrastructure of Self Defense. If it all starts with defense, well, then all defense starts with the post. And not just talented and skilled 5s. They've got to be brawny and dominant in personality. And you don't want to have to throw a freshman 5 to the dogs.

And, as Eddie says over Shirley Temples with Bill, "And you and me, kid, we don't parley vous 5. You ever really talk to Danny Manning, or Cole, or Big Country? These boys are from The Land of Tall, west of Eden, some where's, a strange and mysterious place you and I, we have never been to. Not only are they still tall at the end of the game, they are still tall at the end of the day, at the end of each year, at the ends of their lives. Take Danny off Lance Stephenson right now. Put him on Danny Orton tighterin' a tick on a pig's heart. Let Danny parlay vous some tall with him. Get that Orton, now. One uh them limousine runts'll come this year or next. Trust me, kid, you'll sleep better and so will the little woman."

Self probably wakes up with cold sweats imagining what would have happened this season had Cole had an injury that required him to sit out 4-5 games, or perish the thought, an entire season! Think of lining Kieff up, as a freshman, every night at the 5! Kieff against Jordan Miller! Kieff against Syracuse's load. Kieff against Goran Sutan. Kieff against that ten ton truck on Texas! Oh, my gawd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jaybate 5 years, 7 months ago

Cindy Self had to have been awakened by Bill Self bolting upright in bed in the middle of the night from a nightmare at least a half dozen times screaming, "No! No!! Not Cole's knee!!!!!!!!!! Not the ACL!!! No, no, no...Not everything I've worked for for 20 years...No, no, no, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Orton is crucial. Make no mistake. Life will go on if we do not get him. But if we do get him, we are guarrantied three more 26-30 win seasons, depending on what the cat drags in for runts.

Orton is the difference between Cindy Self getting a good night's sleep this coming season and having to wake up and sponge off perspiration dripping from Bill Self's brow.

X and L would be a dream.

Everyone likes a dream.

I hope we get them all.

But KU needs Orton; that's reality.

kerplunkr 5 years, 7 months ago

I am so glad to hear that Cole and Sherron are staying. Thank you both so much!

Those two guys really seem to have a great perspective on their lives. I was tickled to hear that they also want an education to go along with future NBA success. Definite KU role models!

Rock Chalk!

Eric Schneider 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm all of the sudden glad I live in Indianapolis. Cole made a good decision. He can work on the areas of his game that need work in the comfortable surrounding of college, rather than in the NBA where it's his job. Also, this season the draft is loaded with big men. This year he was a probable lottery pick. Next year he's the probable first or second pick overall.

And as for Chriz and his ignorant comments. Yes, a degree isn't worth half of what it was a few years ago. But tell that to a family that has never had anyone graduate from college. Not to mention the fact that even a lot of retail jobs are requiring degrees these days. Athletes do have their careers ended by injuries. Sometimes before they get started. And how many can't miss prospects turned out to be busts. The degree just gives them more options in life. Also, college is where we really learn to think critically.

Now let's prepare the rafters for banner number 6.

justinryman 5 years, 7 months ago

I made a deal last Tuesday with a friend of mine who is a NC fan that we would jsut rotate the title every other year between KU and NC, looks like that may just come true now.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk! GO KU!

Ben Kane 5 years, 7 months ago

Date: Apr 8, 2009

“Daniel has not asked for his release. If it comes to that, I will be the one asking,” Larry Orton told KSR's Larry Vaught. “There’s no need to ask for a release until we decide if we need one.”

pmohr13 5 years, 7 months ago

This guy says UNC should have the best front court. Do they not realize we have Cole, the Twins and add Withey and Robinson?

Ben Kane 5 years, 7 months ago

hey it's my hobby too. I'm just saying i don't think Orton is going anywhere but UK.

lv_jhwk 5 years, 7 months ago

Maybe I am misunderstanding previous posts, and apologize if that is in fact the case, but can we please clear up one thing at least for once and for all...redshirting does not free up a scholarship!

KULA 5 years, 7 months ago

KU62, yes, WRs & QBs are more important than OLs & LBs. That's why they get paid more money. This site is so fun--it gives rise(?) more fantasies than a porn site. And all for free--I'm saving so much money, lol.

keith horinek 5 years, 7 months ago

Chuckberry, unless you live in Kentucky and are a KU fan you can disregard this memo. You realize this is a KU post. As a caveat to you, last fall when Memphis and KU were going after Xavier Henry, some naive, unsuspecting Memphis fan got on here and started to dis last years National Championship team and the KU loyal die hard fans. Believe me, these guys will eat you alive.

steveeee 5 years, 7 months ago

So I think that all of Lawrence should go downtown tonight. Mine as well get a jump start on celebrating a championship!!!!

kvskubball 5 years, 7 months ago

jaybate,

I think you were a little rough on our bball troops...

you said...

"Any coach who can get to the Sweet 16 filling with the likes of Brady, who is too short, Tyshawn, who can't dribble, Tyrel, who is too short, and Little, who can't seem to do anything but foul and shoot fadeaways you don't need, ...."

I don't know about Brady and Tyrel being too short, and I think Tyshawn can do much more than dribble (Freshmen after all often seem like they can't walk and chew gum at the same time) and I think that next year we will see that Little (With more court prep time and playing his more natural position - the 3 most of the time) will show much better.

I'm very disappointed that you diss our current players and say that a player that has signed with another school is 'crucial' to the continued success of our program. I disagree with all that load of doxie dung. Our program is better than 'ANY' one prospect, certainly better than any one of someone else's prospects. Unless he asks for his release and is granted it, btw any discussion with Orton would be considered tampering. So all of this Orton speculation is very premature.

I do think that it was great that coach made it clear that Cole will not be around after next year, that simplifies going after any big prospect, most likely for the 2011 season.

Now, back to the topic of the thread...Thank you Cole and Sherron for your wise decisions and continued contribution to the Jayhawk legacy. Both of you are great, but as I have often heard, if you're not perfect there is always room for improvement, and I can honestly say that I haven't met anyone who is perfect (And that includes Jaybate and myself ~sarcasm~)...Cole needs to work on his strength as evidenced by the way he was sometimes pushed around during the MSU tourney game, and he needs to improve his passing out of trouble in the post (Most everything else is coming along swimmingly). Sherron needs to work on his decision making and develop a stop and pop move and become a much better defender. SC definitely has the physical tools, even being under 6' tall, to be a pro, but his running into double teams likely was a debbie downer for pro GM's. I'm not trying to diss Cole and Sherron, just saying that these are the areas that I as a bball fan think they could improve on.

As noted by some above. Let's support OUR players and enjoy the ride. The picture is rosy with or without any additional players for next year, but no matter what the talent level, another title is not going to be handed to us, it will be earned on the INDY court. It will take a little luck, a lot of work, poise and teamwork, with I hope more emphasis on the 'TEAM' next year! IMO following SC around for most of the year, although very necessary, and at the coaches direction, didn't prepare others to step up in the tourney, it did sort of the opposite, making them defer to SC a tad too much instead of taking some of the tough shots when needed.

RC

kvskubball 5 years, 7 months ago

chuckles...RC is Rock Chalk at the 3000 character limit....

Ben Kane 5 years, 7 months ago

oljhwk,

I do live in KY. I am a KU fan, and have been on these boards for quite some time. Thank you for the warning though.

keith horinek 5 years, 7 months ago

Chuckberry, I can respect that. I'm sure it can get a little weary living in Kentucky and being a KU fan and having to put up with the UK fans.

TexasHawk44 5 years, 7 months ago

kvskubball: Well said! Jaybate; I agree with some of your posts on here but you are way out of line dogging our current squad. Morningstar and Reed are not blue chip players but the played their tails off this year. In fact, for about 75 percent of the season, I am not sure that anyone on our team got more out of their talent than Brady. As for Taylor, he was a freshman. Go back and watch the tape on Chalmers and Robinson as freshman -- they were not exactly killing people (and no, I am not comparing Taylor to Chalmers). My only point is that our team this year came very close to beating the runner-up to the National Champions. Those kids played hard and bled and sweat Crimson and Blue for us. So keep the trash talk in the trash can... Also, I doubt very much that Self has shocked by Aldrich's development. I think most knowing basketball people knew Aldrich was going to be an excellent player. He is simply fulfilling his potential.

On another note: My hope is that Stephenson commits tomorrow afternoon and we are done. Henry can go play for Cal if that is what he wants to do. We need to move on... I know the Orton rumor is still floating out there. I don't think it will happen, but would be very happy if it did -- if we can free up the additional scholarship (assuming Lance comes too)...

All I know is that it is a good time to be a Jayhawk fan! And please, respect our current team.

PAHAWK1 5 years, 7 months ago

kvskubball, That was one of the best posts on this site. Your last two paragraphs hit the nail.

I also liked the way you took on jaybate. Typically, it is fun to read jaybate's posts. 85-90% of his posts include good analysis. Unfortunately, it irritates the heck out of me when he refers to HCBS's tactics as okie ball or coach Sutton's strategy. He needs to let it go. I am guessing that he is (in his mid 50s) from Oklahoma, studied at KU and now moved to northwest. Jaybate, coach Self has learnt from coach Brown and Sutton but he has his own game book. In AFH, we play KUball (and not okie ball). Deal with it.

Steve Brown 5 years, 7 months ago

I agree with Jaybate, only this one time, Orton is drawing to an inside straight for next year and 2-3 years after next. His Big Country reference is spot on. If we had a choice, take the big guy. Next year teams will quadruple Cole and man SC and someone better learn to hit the mid range OPEN jumper. When SC drives the lane two of the four on Cole will take the charge, and SC will have to dish to somebody for the open trey......swish. Our success will depend on the trust SC has with the other players, just as RussRob and Mario had trust in dishing the ball to him.

My dream is to meet Coach Cal in Indy and spank him with last second shot one more time, but this time a dunk from our 'player of the year' center.

Joel Hood 5 years, 7 months ago

TexasHawk44, I agree that Brady has truly exceeded the potential most fans expected. What is unfortunate is that many do not appreciate how efficient his defense is on much more "athletic" players. Having said that, there are times I wish he had more offensive tools in his arsenal. I think Brady would be invaluable helping teach Lance or X how to play defense (if either comes here.)

kvskubball 5 years, 7 months ago

Merci and Grazie (Now that is close to being the extent of my publicly acceptable French and Italiano and this little isn't all that good)! Sometimes you need to open the windows and air the place out....at least in our house.

Hey drgnslayr...

What is (And where do you find) a caipirinhas? Sounds like a most buoyant and relaxing summer, salud!

Brett Glover 5 years, 7 months ago

Drgnslayer, unless there's something i dont know about i'm pretty sure woolridge signed with tennessee. Correct me if i'm wrong.

TexasHawk44 5 years, 7 months ago

mizzousucks89: Dude, do you even read the stories on this site? Or just start posting? From this site, April 9, 2009:

"Future Kansas University basketball player, Royce Woolridge is scheduled to play in the 2009 Jayhaw Invitation basketball tournament..."

I mean I love your user name but please read the site...

Chicago_JHawk 5 years, 7 months ago

Royce Woolridge gave his verbal commitment May 1, 2008.

TexasHawk44 5 years, 7 months ago

Concerning X Henry:

This was posted on theshiver.com today: It was on ESPN Nation was a web chat that happened today:

Welcome to The Show! On Tuesday, three players from the 2009 Jordan Brand All-American Classic will stop by to chat.

Matt (Lexington, KY): Do you plan on taking anymore visits before making a decision?

Xavier Henry: Yeah, I plan on taking one visit with my brother to Kentucky. We've never been out there. After that, we'll take a couple of days and probably make our decision.

aylor (Baton Rouge, LA): Have you already made your decision and you are waiting to announce or are you still struggling with making a decision?

Xavier Henry: I'm still deciding where I'm going to go. If I knew where I was going, I would have made the announcement a long time ago. I'm not trying to hold out on anybody.

Brian (Chicago): Will you wait to hear from the NCAA on CJ's status next year before making a decision?

Xavier Henry: Yeah. CJ's a big part of my decision. I'm waiting to hear about him before I decide where I'm going.

Ryan (Lexington, KY): How much does Jodie Meek's decision to stay in the draft or come back next year affect your opinion of coming to UK? Could you all play well together?

Xavier Henry: That would. That changed the team and the whole outlook of the team. I'd have to look at that if he decides to stay in or play at Kentucky. We'd have to talk about it.

Tony Bandle 5 years, 7 months ago

Interesting buzz over the line this afternoon...it appears there may be a loophole in the NCAA and John Wall, because of his five year high school career may get to jump straight ot the NBA.....whew, I 'm glad I don't have to buy all those beers for you guys at The Wheel as I promised if Wall showed up at KU.

I'm not one to spread rumors but Lance dropped Maryland from his list of schools and his dad is still insisting he wants him out of New York...HHMMM, who does that leave??!!

One point that is bothering me a little. Can you have too much of a good thing? Let's suppose X/Lance comes to KU..thats 13 quality D1 players on schollies.... bear with me here....40 minutes times 5 = 200 MINUTES....200/13 = 15 minutes each PT...now we know that Condor, Sherron, X/Lance will all get twice that and Withey, Taylor, Marcus, Robinson and Elijah aren't going to riding the pine. I fear that Little, Reed, Morningstar, Markieff and Releford are going to be in for a major PT let down

My point is there any validity that Reed and maybe Releford Red Shirt??

Just asking!!!

TexasHawk44 5 years, 7 months ago

OakvilleJHawk: Good point on the PT. But I don't think you have too much of a good thing. If Lance or X come to play at KU - they will play lots of minutes and that is good thing. Releford is going to have a hard time finding minutes anyway, in my opinion. I know he has skills but there is only one bball to go around -- which is your point. Brady has earned some minutes, I think. Reed will not find his way to very many meaningful minutes at all -- just my opinion.

Interesting rumor on Wall. At this point, I could care less. I have never bought into Wall coming. However, if he were to come I would fly from Houston to the Wheel to drink a cold one on you. Again, I am not booking a flight anytime soon..

TexasHawk44 5 years, 7 months ago

who cares about our recruiting class rank? That does not factor in Lance or X if they were to come. The fact that we are pre-season #1 is more exciting that a recruiting class ranking. But the only number that really means a damned thing is where you are ranked at the END of the season. And I for one believe we have a chance to be #1 and win it all again! That is what counts. Rock Chalk!

John Randall 5 years, 7 months ago

KULA -- I should have realized from the moniker that you haven't grown past the "$$$ is the only answer" stage of life. Triple the money wouldn't compensate for those environs.

Just for laughs, look up (and read) what Joe Gibbs said about his three Super Bowl wins (with different QB and WRs each time). Essentially it boils down to this, "Years when the Hogs stayed healthy, we won." Seems to me he means (and the record bears this out) that having ALL FIVE of them was the key ingredient. In years when ANY ONE missed four or more games, the Redskins were competitive and that's all. If it was Bostick who went down, catastrophy was the result, even though he had fewer Pro Bowl appearances than the others.

'Skill' players get headlines and big bucks. Championships are won in the trenches. It isn't just about big plays, it's about EVERY play.

jncarlsbad 5 years, 7 months ago

A lot of us are getting stuck on this Lance and Xavier thing including me! The best news is we have Aldrich and Collins back and that Lance and X are secondary. Elijah Johnson, Whitney and Robinson are some of the best players out there and with the returning crew we have we are stacked. I've only heard and seen great things from the new recruits. It would be nice to have a tall wing player not afraid to take the shot, sorry Brady. It's not necessary but getting either of these two recruits would be a luxury. But for 2009 our best option on the court is and always will be is Self! The guy plain out knows how to coach and to get these guys to buy into his system.

KULA 5 years, 7 months ago

ha ha KU62, I should've guessed by your moniker that you were one of those old timers who think nothing new can be as good as the old days. Joe Gibbs would probably also tell you that he wouldn't have won if he didn't have a QB who could hit a WR who could get open and catch the ball. Just for fun, look at the last two SuperBowls that were won by QBs & WRs making superhuman plays (on the run, when the blocking broke down). But you're right about these environs not being worth triple the $$. I'm still waiting for the government to rebuild this place after Katrina.

Kenny Nall 5 years, 7 months ago

Next year should be amazing no matter who we get. An awesome time to be a Jayhawk.

KULA 5 years, 7 months ago

Btw, KU62 & Jaybate, what's your opinion--was Jojo White a better PG than Sherron? I think Sherron's the best PG ever at KU. Thoughts?

jncarlsbad 5 years, 7 months ago

Whoa KULA, that is a BOLD statement. Collins is better than Chalmer's? No way!

Collins - 39 steals and 105 assists last year

Chalmers - 97 steals and 169 assists his last season

Both player's are clutch but I'll take Chalmer's who set a Miami Heat record of 9 steals!

Eric Schneider 5 years, 7 months ago

Whoa there KULA. First of all White was a shooting guard. Second. Let me run some names past you. Darnell Valentine, Jacques Vaughn, Aaron Miles, Kirk Hinrich, Kevin Pritchard, Cedric Hunter. And those are just the ones since I started watching KU babsketball. All have much better assist to turnover ratios than Collins. That's my definition of a PG. Collins is a 2 guard in a point guard body. He may have more natural talent than all the others with the possible exception of Valentine, but he still turns the ball over way too frequently.

mace221 5 years, 7 months ago

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

FairgroveJayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

hhhhhhhhaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tribehawk 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm not a particularly old Jayhawk, but for my money, Jacques Vaughn was the best PG I've ever seen in the Crimson and Blue. His B-ball IQ is the highest of any PG I've seen play here. I remember one game (vs. CU maybe?) where he had a break away, recognized that a defender was flying after him, pulled up to get fouled first, absorbed the contact, and then banked in the shot for a three point play. He was an incredible distributor and natural leader. Chalmers was a better shooter and defender, Hinrich was a better athlete, Sherron is a better scorer, but Vaughn was a true floor general who made everybody around him better. That makes him the best PG, IMHO.

Trey Hohman 5 years, 7 months ago

Congrats Sherron for showing the maturity to get your degree!!!! There is no doubt that in our culture, the prospect of wealth and celebrity status almost always wins-out over the virtue of education....And for all of the foul-mouthed, subversively racists out there in blogger-land who think Sherron getting his degree, (given the well-documented facts as to where he grew up & the completely pathetic K-12 Educational Systems in place within our inner-cities), isn't a big deal, then I say you should have your tongues cleaned out with Comet.

I personally think picking the "right" major is usually overemphasized. Generally, your choice of a major does not dictate what careers you will be able to enjoy, unless you choose a career which requires technical or specialized training, such as engineer or medicine...(see below)

Famous people & their college Majors:

Roy Williams -- Physical Ed. Katie Couric -- American Studies Kurt Vonnegut, Jr -- Anthropology Michael Crichton -- Anthropology White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel -- Dance Carly Fiorina, former CEO of Hewlett-Packard --Medieval History & Philosophy Juanita Kidd Stout, first woman federal judge -- Music Michael Jordan -- Geography

Steve Jobs started going to college at Reed College in Portland, Oregon he quickly dropped out after a single semester. Despite leaving, he occasionally audited classes at Reed College, most notably his well-known course in calligraphy, of all things. According to Jobs, “If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts.”

Go Sherron!!

truefan 5 years, 7 months ago

You guys can keep speculating...I'll keep knocking on wood for all the jinxing that is going on. haha

easyfive 5 years, 7 months ago

Sherron and Cole are the best!
Them two are like 4 players. If Bill don't throw Cole under the bus. He might come back two more years. It is like Bill don't know how to act, with these guys not wanting him to check into the draft for them. They are men acting like they are having fun and not falling in to the trap of making $$$. Or, selling out for a bowl of rice.
Bill thinks all bball players wants to sell out for the NBA. These two are thinking like real men, this is just a game. And life and having friends is far better than all the money in the world. This is playing smart. What was the wisdom B. Rush passed on to the team. He misses "All the little college girls running around"
Living out of a suitcase is not all that fun.

jaybate 5 years, 7 months ago

kvskubball and others,

This is novel. I am criticised for not praising Brady and Tyrel enough. Usually, I am hooted at for praising them too much.

To wit: I am the sitting President of the Brady Morningstar Fan Club and perhaps the only alias on this board that has written repeatedly that not only do I expect Brady to play big minutes again next year, I expect him to become a 10-12 ppg scorer and play a lot of two, especially if we were to land X at the 3. Brady is, IMHO, a serious talent still early in development, despite his age from red shirting. I know some of our brightest lights on this board disagree strongly with me, but Brady was as green as anyone last year and he held up his end of the stick for more minutes and doing more good things without TOs than most.

I think Tyrel is a terrific backup and someone that is likely to keep playing more and more minutes over his tenure at KU, particularly if he can push his trey percentage up to 45%.

Little I have praised mightily for bringing character to the team chemistry that probably allowed KU to win several games just because Little is a lion at heart.

Tyshawn I noted was a remarkable talent from the first game I saw him play--the second or third game of the season I recall.

But the facts are:

Brady is too small to be playing 3. He's a natural 2 guard. Frankly, if we land X, or Lance, to play the 3, and move Brady to the 2, as I expect will happen, I think it is going to be very difficult for Tyshawn to keep Brady off the floor. Tyshawn is a great athlete. Brady is a very good basketball player.

Tyrel is still not quite quick enough and does not jump well enough to start at either guard spot against top notch competition.

Mario Little, unless he develops a 40% trey, is just not going to be a starter at the 3 in this day and age.

Tyshawn? He shows flashes of brilliance despite being very green. But this guy cannot be the next Mario Chalmers unless he learns to shoot 40-45% from trey. And he can't be the next PG until he learns to dribble. His dribbling was so weak at season's end, that late in games, Self preferred to have Tyrel at PG to spell Sherron than Tyshawn. Could Tyshawn become a trey shooter? More easily than he could become a dribbler. Ball handling can be developed, but you've gotten to have the talent to start with. He's quite like Brandon Rush in being limited in his ability to put it on the deck.

In sum, I meant no disrespect to our lettermen. I would be happy to go through another season with them and without any of the star power recruits. But a big part of why they could do what they did is that Coach Self carefully crafted their roles to minimize their respective shortcomings. He is a genius at that.

But give Self Lance and X, and you will see that Self will have to do very little camoflaging.

jaybate 5 years, 7 months ago

Re best point guard...

I'm already on record as saying Sherron is already the best.

And Darnell Valentine is the best if you don't give any weight to Sherron winning a ring.

And Jo Jo White might have been the best had Ted Owens had the common sense to have started him at PG for his entire career.

Kevin Pritchard has been greatly underrated by me and others. He could do it all and he won a ring with Manning on a team where he and Danny were the down the middle game.

Vaughn was easily the best of our PGs who could not shoot. He can't seriously be considered among our all time greats at PG, though, precisely because he had no gun.

All the rest of KU's very good PGs that I can recall were, like Vaughn, guys who could not shoot.

100 5 years, 7 months ago

If X truly "wants an NCAA Championship before the NBA" (as he's declared)

He might have to sign a letter with Self

Before his trip to Kentucky...

((with autoscoring machines Sherron, Cole, Withey on the court with him, he'll be open to score about every time he touches the ball))

In short, if he truly is planning on playing only "one" year, what better of a year could he choose to play for a team than the 2010 Jayhawks, where oponents will be FORCED to guard him one on one, or go zone and leave him open for three???

Further, if a star is only playing one year, he may as well win the entire enchilada on the way to the draft... A 2nd round loss at UK could cost him millions, whereas a national championship at KU would do nothing but bolster his NBA stock into the stratosphere.

P.S. Might be a good idea for Cal's recruits to learn some defense before the NBA too. There's a reason Memphis (calipari) got blown out by Missouri (the same team KU destroyed by 25) in the NCAA tournament. Cal teaches one thing -- the dribble drive (with high risk defensive sets). Sure it looks good when the score is 100-30 in the favor of Memphis. But what happens when a team actually is "ready" for the dribble drive? Well, look at the last two tourney games Memphis has lost...

That's against only a few NbA players...

So what does Cal really teach for "the League"?

In summation, there's only one place X can win a ring next year and get the big exposure a #1 recruit can bank on, but the clock is ticking -- the answer is written all over his mom & dad's faces...

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, KU.

KULA 5 years, 7 months ago

Interesting input. I'll leave NBA stats out--just thinking about KU careers. In fact, all stats can be misleading. How many guys did Mario have to pass to who could actually knock down a shot or get to the hole and get a shot? How many times did SC pass to someone who missed a shot this yr? Sherron's assists per min. played are probably comparable to MC's last yr. Why not compare SC's ppg to MC. To me, the best PGs are the ones who can penetrate and finish AND get and make a shot from outside. That opens up SO MUCH for the offense. That's why Jacques doesn't make my list. Not quick or strong enough to penetrate and finish, not much of an outside shot. MC & SC are comparable--both good outside shooters, tho I think SCs a little better. Sherron's a better penetrator than Mario. Drgnslyr's right--while Mario made THE SHOT, Sherron made THE STEAL, THE SHOT & THE ASSIST. Also did a pretty good job on Rose. Ced, Kevin, Aaron I'd put in the same class as Jacques. They also had better talent to assist to, except maybe Kevin(tho he did have Danny, KU's all time leading scorer). Kirk is close, but without Sherron's quickness to the hole. I should've included Darnell--he's pretty close to Sherron overall. Unfortunately, DV didn't have enough talent around him either. Since JoJo wasn't a point(didn't know that) I guess he can't be the best PG to play at KU. I'll stick with my original choice, Sherron. Still willing to listen though. ps--Sherron's also got one ring (so far). Only Kevin can say that.

mjlindsm 5 years, 7 months ago

One reason to hope we get X instead of Lance: If we get X and Lance goes to St. Johns, we get a stud and have nothing to worry about from the other program. I love Norm Roberts, but that would be a one man (and a freshMan at that) team. Imagine if X goes to Kentucky and Meeks and Patterson return. Their 2-5 would be Meeks, X, Patterson, and Cousins. I think they could be the best team in the country if that happens, and they certainly would be a much greater threat to us if we would happen to play them in the tournament.

KULA 5 years, 7 months ago

Right on Easyfive--let's see, what should I do? Go to the NBA, spend a lot of time on the bench & carry older guys' bags for a couple years, or stay in college, be the BMOC, and continue to bang a different 19 yr old coed every night for the next year? Hmm, decisions, decisions...

jhawk613 5 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate,

i'm going to disagree with your analysis on PG. You say Vaughan wasn't a good PG b/c he had no gun. He didn't score. Obviously you've been tainted by the relatively "new era" of basketball with Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Derrick Rose and others.

The PG position is not supposed to be the leading scorer. The PG brings the ball up the court, therefore his job is to DISTRIBUTE the ball. In KU history Vaughan and Aaron Miles were the best at that, although I would NOT call them the best PG.

Being a team leader is another important aspect because they call the plays, direct the other guys.

For my money, I preferred Russell Robinson as PG because he did everything BUT score. Because he played the best on-ball defense and was a team leader he made that offense run smoothly. He set up Arthur, Rush and Chalmers on offense.

Your emphasis on scoring is a disservice when analyzing the PG position. When looking at the 2, 3 and 4 spots, scoring is the #1 factor, but now with the PG.

jaybate 5 years, 7 months ago

jhawk613,

We're talking about who is the best PG, not who is the best distributing PG (probably Vaughn or Miles), or best shooting PG (probably Bosh when he played PG), or best defensive PG (there have been a lot of exceptional defenders).

When it comes to doing it all, Collins and Valentine and Pritchard are the only ones in the runnning, and I can see a case for any one of them, but Collins is the only one who has both been a do it all guy on a national champion and a guy who carried an exceedingly green team on his back to a Sweet 16, and so, though Darnell was a better defender and perhaps a better shooter, I think Darnell could not carry a team full of green timber the way Sherron did, nor did he prove he could win ring with his more experienced teams.

Again, Pritchard is the guy people keep overlooking, probably because Pritch got to play with Manning, and Manning has sacred bonafides. Pritch could do it all, win a ring, have a pro career, and become an NBA GM. He was the real deal. But I never saw Pritch carry a green team to the Sweet 16 either.

All roads lead me back to Sherron.

Shooting and scoring are just part of what Sherron delivers. Sherron does it all. And his defense will massively improve when his last season due to his own experience, and having a two beside him that he is not having to coach on the floor (Taylor, but more likely Brady, if we land X, or Lance). Further, his asst/TO ratio will spike massively if X, or Lance, man the three, also.

jaybate 5 years, 7 months ago

Jeez, how could I have forgotten to add Kirk to the stew. I wrote about him extensively in this regard a month ago or so.

Kirk had way the better gun vs. Sherron. Kirk was incomparably fast up and down the floor. Kirk was tall at the end of the game and hard for most college PGs to shoot over in shake and bakes at the buzzer. Those are his pros.

His cons? He couldn't win the big one with a very talented team. He was never the first scoring option in any season at KU, so he never had to carry the team on his back. He never carried a green team on his back to a conference championship and a Sweet 16. Perhaps he could have, but he didn't. We can't base comparisons on what might have been, so Sherron has an edge there, too. Also, as mentioned by others, fast as Kirk was up and down, he was not as quick as Sherron dribble-driving to the rim, and he was not nearly as strong, either. I believe Sherron was the better dribbler and Kirk the better passer. They both made mistakes, because of playing too close to the edges of their envelopes. People forget that Kirk's first two years were full of drives and breaks where he overran his control frequently, and he did this even though his coach was not asking him to create 18-25 shots a game.

I actually might prefer Kirk over Sherron as a cornerstone to build a team on, because I prefer the kind of ball Kirk enables one to play. But as to who was the best overall PG, I have to give Sherron a narrow edge, which could grow quite a bit larger, if as he matures in his last season, as Kirk did, he cracks 40% from trey, cuts back his TOs, tightens up his defense, and wins another ring!

jaybate 5 years, 7 months ago

100,

Yours is absolutely, hands-down, the best assessment of the weakness of Cal ball that I have read. I have tried several times to sit down and type out what exactly was wrong with Calipari's game, as a training ground for development of players, but I was continually stumped. I just didn't quite understand it well enough. I knew there was something about Cal-ball that was lacking and you brought it totally into focus. Thanks.

jaybate 5 years, 7 months ago

lhohman3,

No wonder Jordan always knew exactly where he was on the floor...geography!!!

easyfive 5 years, 7 months ago

How come you guys talk of what was?
In the power of "Now" only thing that counts is the present and future.

If we could get all the players here at their best and play 21. make it, take it.
My money is on Sherron. We might have to ask Sherron if, he would win or Mario C. would win. Two out of three?
Bring on Kirk too. But again it does not matter!