Originally published October 22, 2008 at 08:14p.m., updated October 22, 2008 at 09:52p.m.

Xavier Henry involved in car accident

Prep standout suffers fractured cheekbone

— Xavier Henry, Rivals.com's No. 3-rated high school basketball player nationally, was injured in a car accident Wednesday in the Oklahoma City area.

Xavier's dad, Carl Henry, told CBSsportline.com that his son suffered a fractured cheekbone that will keep him sidelined at least two weeks. CBSsportsline.com reported that Xavier will have surgery on his face when swelling subsides and will wear a protective mask during games this season.

Carl Henry said Xavier, a 6-foot-6 guard out of Putnam City High, "was feeling OK" while resting in the hospital.

Later, Xavier's mom, Barbara Adkins, told the Daily Oklahoman her son had been released from the hospital. She would not elaborate on her son's injuries.

The Daily Oklahoman reported that Henry - who will attend either Kansas University or Memphis on a basketball scholarship - was driving a vehicle occupied by three other Putnam City students Wednesday afternoon. The students were on their way to an elementary school as part of a leadership program, Putnam City coach A.D. Burtschi told the Oklahoman.

He was the only student involved in the accident taken to the hospital, Burtschi told the Oklahoman.

"Forget about recruiting. We just hope he and the other students involved are OK," KU coach Bill Self told the Journal-World on Wednesday night.

Dan Wolken of The Memphis Commercial Appeal reported that Xavier's brother, Memphis freshman C.J. Henry, left practice "in a hurry" Wednesday to return to Oklahoma City to be with his brother. C.J. is out until late December because of a broken foot.

Carl Henry on Wednesday morning told Rivals.com that Xavier and family members would meet on Friday night to discuss Xavier's college options. They hoped to announce a college choice next week. This was before the accident took place.

"We just need to sit down as a family and talk. I really have no idea what Xavier is going to do. It's going to be his decision," Carl Henry told Rivals.com hours before the accident.

Comments

Jaydub 11 years, 4 months ago

I hope the surgery goes well. I think the mask look mean, Hannibal Lecter style. Get well soon X.

stravinsky 11 years, 4 months ago

I'm okay with signing someone who's going to mask it up, Allen Iverson style.

Fred Davis 11 years, 4 months ago

I have to agree with gutter that it seems Xavier sure does get injured a lot, regardless if it just bad luck... It feels like he's dragging things out, but at the same time, this is a huge decision for him, so I don't fault the kid... However, I can't shake the fact that something just doesn't feel right about this kid coming to KU and all the drama that could accompany him... If the kid comes to KU, great, and why not, we're the hottest team in college basketball right now... But the need to grab this kid now versus the same time last year has dissipated exponentially, and I say if the kid doesn't become a Jayhawk, so what, we've got a dozen or so other ballers waiting to put on the crimson and blue...

Larry Smith 11 years, 4 months ago

I wonder if Lute Olsen Stepping down has any effect om current recruits?

Robin Smith 11 years, 4 months ago

any sort of head trauma is serious. a broken cheekbone is super painful. hopefully he didn't damage his sinuses at all.get well X

100 11 years, 4 months ago

Best of luck with a full recovery, Xavier. Lots of people pulling for you.

Michael Auchard 11 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for the info, LJW. I hope X is okay no matter where he goes.

Nutflush21 11 years, 4 months ago

PS I think its funny that kusports.com now only puts certain stories as "breaking news" and has other "new" stories buried with the rest. That of course comes from numerous dummies that post complaints about how this site is run.

Michael Ales 11 years, 4 months ago

Rivals.Com says there is supposed to be a press conference today at X's High School with both Kansas and memphis coaching staffs attending. Any comment or update?

gutter 11 years, 4 months ago

Carmel - What does Chase Daniel have to do with this? Seems X and and C.J. get injured often. Well, If there is any good news in this - it's that X wasn't injured worse and will be OK. I was pleased to hear X was on his was to do a good deed and was not just out cruising when his accident happened. As far as C.J. leaving practice "in a hurry", if I had heard my brother was in a bad car accident and on his way to the hospital (without knowing the extent of the injuries) I too might leave "in a hurry".

CaramelMacchMan 11 years, 4 months ago

gutter!!I guess that didn't entertain you..Actually i meant to post that on one of the football article but clicked on the wrong link...

Nutflush21 11 years, 4 months ago

Well I really hope the hospital trip was strictly precautionary.

11 years, 4 months ago

Well, it looks like another 5-Star recruit flew under our radar. How do we keep missing out on these guys??http://beyondthearc.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/10/22/1582620.aspx

jahawkdave 11 years, 4 months ago

X is a Memphis tiger the family had planned to discuss it that night. CJ was already flying back to help X confirm his decision and to be at his side during his TV presser donning the tigers hat, which will now be delayed. It's a done deal, he wants to showcase his one and done skills like derrick rose with a coach that has been in the nba, and it will be his last opportunity to play ball with his brother. Go hawks good luck X. We will always win our next NC before Memphis wins it's first.

Trey Hohman 11 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone else on this site find it at all weird that older brother, cj flew back home to look over his little brother, all because of a broken cheek-bone...? it's weird in the same way as me saying, "I am hung over & I live in LA (insert any big city & add 500 miles between you &immediate family) & I want my mombrothersister who lives in Topeka, KS. to fly down & look after me asap.."- kinda weird...?- xavier is going 2 memphis for sure, 100 %. His family ( & especially his older & much more unstable brother) needs him close by it seems to this blogger, to keep the appropriate family dynamics in order...?

jchief40 11 years, 4 months ago

Carl saying he has "no idea" what he's gonna do. Odd, I think. When I was in high school I was close to my parents and especially if my dad was a player and coach you can guarantee I would have shared my thoughts and give an indication either way. Carl's comments are bull fed to the media. I highly doubt that both schools are 50/50. There probably a 70/30 here and my friends KU probably is the smaller of the two numbers.

Lance Hobson 11 years, 4 months ago

I hope this is minor and he's ok soon.Nutfish and NH, your breaking news discussion is very tired.

cklarock 11 years, 4 months ago

Don't worry X, you'll still look pretty in that Crimson and Blue!

CaramelMacchMan 11 years, 4 months ago

Chase Daniel keeps surprising every one...SOMEONE MIGHT ASK WHAT IS IT NOW.. WELL CHECK THIS OUT. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKAbA5AUgtYPriceless!!!!!

John Brown 11 years, 4 months ago

Mdalesh, I did not see anything on this. I would expect next week, especially after the accident. I am sure Henry and his family are shooting strait with the media on their intentions. I would imagine that because Cheek and Snaer are waiting to sign that KU and MSU have put a time limit on the decision. 'We can hold it open until....'

Michael Ales 11 years, 4 months ago

Leave the young man alone. Even if he makes the wrong decision and chooses Memphis he is still a 18 year old that was in a car accident. Sometimes these life altering events make a person think about things in the long term instead the short term. Yes, I said "life altering", even if not serious, I remember an accident I had at 17 vividly some 35 years ago. Maybe he'll make the right decision and give us 2 or 3 years A.K.A. Brandon Rush. Remember he was only supposed to play one year. Just thinking positive, happy thoughts.

bmkjayhawk 11 years, 4 months ago

Jayhawkdave, what are your sources?Can anyone answer mdalesh's question?

Rick Arnoldy 11 years, 4 months ago

Lute Olsen story. Is this guy loony or what? Way to screw over Kevin O'Neill.http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8710962?MSNHPHMA

jaybate 11 years, 4 months ago

Jayhawk86,Olson quitting will make top recruits seriously consider UA for its weather now, instead of simply turning it down because Olson is there.

NH_JHawk 11 years, 4 months ago

Agree Nutflush21. How did the "KUAD plants trees along Mississippi St." make breaking news? Let's hope this accident isn't too serious and X is alright, but this qualifies more as breaking news than the tree story did (in my opinion).

KU 11 years, 4 months ago

Man, what must automobile insurance cost in Oklahoma City? I'm sure glad I don't have to drive the mean streets of OKC. Remember when Giddens and Jackson were in a car accident down there? Eerily reminiscent?

vmwskywalk 11 years, 4 months ago

Another story about Henry and Cheek. Different Cheek though. Get well X!

Michael Ales 11 years, 4 months ago

My Bad, it is Shiver.com that has the story of KU v. Memphis at the the high school as*hole.

DocBean 11 years, 4 months ago

I hope he gets better soon. Sounds like everything will be fine.as for the Memphis vs KU, I'd pick KU, we play more big games against real talent in the Big XII, and you can't turn down playing in the best basketball arena in the entire country. Even ESPN put Allen Fieldhouse in the top 10 when it came down to best places to watch a sporting event. Madison Square Garden was the only other basketball venue on the list, and that was more for Hockey, and Boxing then it was for Pro and College Ball.

Marcia Parsons 11 years, 4 months ago

mdalesh: Are you putting us on? What kind of coach would be silly enough to risk being shown up as a recruiting loser on national TV.And Jayhawk86, has anyone besides Dickie V said anything about this yet? Everything I read says the Arizona AD claims they haven't heard anything about it.

John Brown 11 years, 4 months ago

jchief40I just hope that Self have put X on a time line. I am sure that either Snaer or Cheek will commit to KU if X decides to go to MSU. Both Cheek and Snaer made positive comments about their visit and with late night. KU doesn't have to beg anyone to play here. X it the player that Self wants most but Snaer and Cheek wont be a big drop in talent. After all, there is no "I" in team.

RockChalk1982 10 years, 10 months ago

Cheek has a verbal to Villanova and Snaer has signed a LOI.... Don't know how we would get either one.