Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Jayhawk projected in lottery

Darrell Arthur emerged as a lottery pick in four of five mock drafts released moments after Tuesday night's NBA Draft lottery in Secaucus, N.J.

Arthur, a 6-foot-9 power forward who just completed his sophomore season at Kansas University, was tapped eighth overall (Milwaukee) by ESPN's Jay Bilas, ninth (Charlotte) by NBAdraft.net, 12th (Sacramento) by ESPN's Chad Ford, 13th (Portland) by Sporting News' Mike DeCourcy and 16th (Philadelphia) by Draftexpress.com.

The top 14 picks of the June 26 draft constitute the lucrative lottery.

Arthur, who has not signed with an agent, has said he'll definitely be NBA-bound if he's assured the top half of 30-pick Round One.

Former KU guard/forward Brandon Rush, who has signed with an agent, was deemed a lottery pick only by ESPN's Bilas (No. 14, Golden State). Rush was tapped No. 22 (Orlando) by ESPN's Ford, Sporting News' DeCourcy and Draftexpress.com and No. 26 (San Antonio) by NBAdraft.net,

KU guard Mario Chalmers, who has not signed with an agent, was tapped No. 24 of the first round (Seattle) by DeCourcy as well as NBAdraft.net and the sixth pick of Round Two (Portland) by Draftexpress.com. ESPN's Ford considers Chalmers an early second-round pick.

Of Arthur, Ford wrote at ESPN.com: "The Kings are hoping that either (D.J.) Augustin or (Russell) Westbrook falls into their laps. However, if they're not available, Sacramento will likely have to make a tough choice between a number of power forwards. Of the group, Arthur has the greatest upside as an athlete and a scorer. But he's going to have to improve his rebounding to really make it in the league."

Of Rush, Ford penned: "There's quite a bit of buzz over Rush at the moment. He's got the size, athleticism and shooting ability needed to excel as an NBA 2-guard. He is also an excellent defender and should be ready to step in and contribute right away. He's a perfect fit for Orlando."

¢ Katz on Arthur: ESPN's Andy Katz has reported the results of a poll conducted to get consensus of the lottery. In all, 26 of 30 NBA teams responded to Katz's questionaire.

Twenty-two of 26 NBA teams deemed KU's Arthur a lottery pick. KU's Rush was deemed a lottery pick by two teams.

Arthur is "thought of highly enough to stay in the draft," Katz indicated.

¢ Lawsuits galore: Dallas South Oak Cliff High basketball coach James Mays said Tuesday he's spoken with an attorney and still plans on pursuing legal action against former South Oak Cliff math teacher Winford Ashmore.

Mays said Sandra Arthur, mother of Darrell, also has spoken with legal counsel and plans on pursuing legal action against Ashomore as well as Dallas TV station WFAA. The station recently aired a report in which Ashmore accused Mays and former Oak Cliff principal Donald Moten of changing Arthur's failing math grades to passing marks.

"We have two different complaints," Mays said, referring to his complaint and one of the Arthur family. "Their rights were violated as far as the release of grades are concerned. Mine is basically defamation, slander. They (Arthurs) are getting all things in order, but probably will try to seek action both on the guy (Ashmore) and the TV station.

"Whatever we can do, we will do," Mays added. "This is both malicious and wrong," he added of accusations there was grade changing involving Arthur.

Comments

jacqueshock 11 years, 6 months ago

Here's hoping the Magic can draft Rush at the 2-guard, where they need one. There is also talk of Orlando trading Turkoglu (and another player) to Seattle for Collison because the Magic badly need a PF. Nick would fit in nicely at the 4 and move Rashard Lewis back to the 3 position.

100 11 years, 6 months ago

When the Dallas lawsuits get going, a very interesting point will be how much this Baylor TV station paid this Math teacher to make up/ tell this story about a 16 year old a month after Arthur leads a non-Baylor team to a National Championship. Darrel passed the SATand had a 3.0 GPA at a nationally respected University last semester. That tells me everything I need to know about Darrel. Now what I want to know is, how much did the math teacher get paid by the Baylor media.

tis4tim 11 years, 6 months ago

Something else I noticed while we're on the subject...The official NC t-shirts that the guys wore while hoisting the trophy...I noticed the Jayhawk is facing the opposite direction of all my other Jayhawk gear. Don't logos usually have to stay facing the same direction?Just wondering.

Dyrk Dugan 11 years, 6 months ago

"this is both malicious and wrong." the strongest words yet from the coach....pretty demonstrative. I would hope that would be the case. If you speak about it to defend yourself, you have to come hard, and explicitly deny the wrong doing. Because if you leave it hanging, then the rumors fly. I still think we'll look back at this story one day as much ado about nothing. (fingers crossed too...tee he)

NH_JHawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Without knowing all of the facts surrounding the Arthur spectacle, I still find the timing of Ashmore's claims to be more than suspicious. I mean, why now and not years ago? A (sad) sign of the times in this litigious lawsuit happy society in which we live today. Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame and somebody else's money.

RonBurgandy 11 years, 6 months ago

Chalmers...please come back, I'll miss you too much.

krisell 11 years, 6 months ago

I'm so happy for the boys getting drafted! We've watched them since they were freshmen losing in the first round, and now they're National Champions about to make their dreams come true. Good luck boys!! I'll have fun watching our guys kick butt in the NBA!!!

Joe Ross 11 years, 6 months ago

GO DARRELL!!!!!!!!!!Thanks for being a Jayhawk. Thanks for the Championship. I dont know what your grades were in High School, but go and put the "A" in the "NBA".Make your money.

11 years, 6 months ago

this is great news for Arthur and Rush! I would love to have Chalmers back, but if he can get drafted in the first round, that may be the way for him to go. I would just hate to see him slip to the second round and not get the guaranteed money and roster spot.

kranny 11 years, 6 months ago

Maybe my perspective is off but this site is advertising a tee shirt - "The Shot". The shooter looks like he's shooting left-handed. Assuming the shooter is Chalmers, isn't he right-handed? Not a big deal but........

okjhok 11 years, 6 months ago

The sillouette is from behind, like the newpaper photo. Initially, I thought what you thought, but then realized my perspective was wrong.

Chicago_JHawk 11 years, 6 months ago

My take on the grades is this: KU should not be held accountable if a grade change occurred that they could not have known about, i.e. the only transcript they or the clearinghouse saw had the changed grades on it already. I could see sanctions of some sort just to set an example, but nothing that would strip them of a title. I think the NCAA sets dangerous precedents if they do that.The NCAA might view it differently, as Arthur himself may have been aware. The thing that would irk me about it is that the grade(s) in question occurred before his senior year. In theory, he had time to retake the classes during a summer or in a later year. The grade was changed, so he didn't have to, but that's hindsight. If he failed a class during his senior year that left him with no time to make it up, then a grade change would be more serious.

FSUJHAWK 11 years, 6 months ago

Chalmers is too smart to stay in the draft. DA will be lottery pick and get more PT than Julian did this year (and probably next). Rush going to Orlando would be great for the Magic. Going to the Magic games and seeing JJ Redick is quite aggravating so I stop cheering when he gets in the game. I don't know how I'll reconcile the situation if and when both he and Rush are in the game. Collison going to Orlando for Turkoglu would be travesty.

justanotherfan 11 years, 6 months ago

Thoughts...On the draft:Darrell is a top 10 draft talent, but may not be a top 10 pick. The Knicks, Clippers, Bucks, Bobcats and Nets are all overloaded at the 4 position where Darrell plays, so if the Grizzlies or Sonics don't take him in the top 5, those teams may pass on him as well and address needs in the backcourt. That means Indiana, Sacremento or Golden State may get a heck of a bargain if Darrell falls that far. Mario's entire draft stock hangs on these predraft camps. If he outplays some of the highly ranked PGs at these camps (a legitimate possibility) he could lock down a first round spot. On the other hand, if he looks shaky running the point, he may end up back in Lawrence. Either way, Mario is in a win-win situation. Either he gets paid or he returns to Lawrence a hero. What's not to like about that?As for the Arthur grades issue:As soon as I heard the news, I knew lawsuits weren't far behind. Both of my parents work in the education system and I work in the legal field, so as soon as I heard what happened, the first thing I thought was that the teacher (or former teacher, whatever) had just broken privacy laws. The fact that he volunteered the information makes it even more aggregious. It's not like he was careless and the information happened to get to the press. He WENT TO the press with this! Not only does Darrell have a claim, but by displaying his grade book to media, any other student in that class who feels that his grades were exposed to unauthorized individuals has a potential claim. The sad thing is the news station may have known it was wrong to broadcast, but will probably cast all of the blame on the teacher and say that they were "just reporting the news."

ku_law 11 years, 6 months ago

jross:Put the A in NBA? That was quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read. Yeah, Darrell, you go and put the A for Association in NBA. That will make a statement...

jaybate 11 years, 6 months ago

re draft:The NBA draft is not fair. While it is true that it puts the teams with the most need and worst records first in line, in doing that it tends to put owners, GMs and Coaches who are proven incompetants first in line making the choices.IMHO, if Arthur goes above Rush, NBA GMs and coaches making the lottery picks support my theory that they are learning impaired.If the likes of Ainge in Boston, or Phil Jackson, in LA, some how found themselves in the lottery, I believe Rush would likely go before Arthur.Though Arthur is a very good player, players like Arthur are ubiquitous in the NBA. Heck, you can probably pick Julian up off New Orleans for less than a lottery pick right now. You can trade for one like Arthur just about any time you want one and you don't have to give up a lottery pick in the deal.Finding a brawny, 6'7" lock down defender 2 guard who shoots over 40% from trey, can rebound and can start right away is just plain RARE.re: Arthur's grade scandalWhat seems significant here is that I do not hear anyone flatly denying that Arthur's grades were changed inappropriately. Maybe they are and I missed it, and if I did, I sure hope someone points this out.It appears Mays is saying he MAY file demamation and slander complaints, because Mays claims HE did not change the grades; that is not the same as saying no one did. And the Arthurs are reputedly claiming that Darrell Arthur's right to privacy about his school grades was violated; again, that is not the same as saying his grades were not changed.As justanotherfan pointed out above, I can see where there maybe room to expect these sorts of complaints. And they may even have a lot of merit. I'm not a lawyer.But for KU's interest, it does not seem to matter who changed the grades. It only matters if they were changed.And it does not matter to KU whether Arthur's privacy about grades was violated. It only matters if his grades were changed inappropriately and to a sufficient degree that he would not have been eligible to be admitted to KU with his unchanged grades.The question remains: were DA's grades changed enough to have made him ineligible?If they were changed and if he were ineligible, then welcome to forfeit city.

Ed Fox 11 years, 6 months ago

It seems to me that Bilas' list wasn't a draft projection, but instead was his list of the "best available players." I don't think that reflected team needs or anything like that, but calling it a "projection" is maybe a bit misleading.

ralsterKUMed95 11 years, 6 months ago

About Arthur and this whole highschool grades thing: Someone posted on another thread (& I totally agree) that how will this ex-teacher PROVE anything with a gradebook that he himself wrote (& when did he write it)? The 'official' transcript stands as it was, and is what was sent to the NCAA, who deemed Shady eligible. He then chose KU. WHERE ARE all the other documents such as graded assignments, tests, final exams that would actually prove that someone earned whatever grade? I differ from jaybate's post as, frankly, without any proof, this is simply a public smear of Darrell Arthur. And if it were theoretically possible that something actually did take place as alleged, it's a moot point because it cannot be proven, and the motives of bringing forth such an allegation are very suspect, and, academically, Arthur just earned a 3.0 GPA this semester at KU. I could almost 'guarantee' that if KU got beat prior to the Final4, this story would never have surfaced.What a waste of mental time...My heartfelt regards for Shady, his family, and Im wishing him the best in the NBA. What a winner!