Originally published June 20, 2008 at 05:56p.m., updated June 21, 2008 at 12:00a.m.

Alleged victim in Collins case speaks out through attorney

Videos

Sherron Collins lawsuit

video thumbnail

A Douglas County District Court judge has rules against Kansas guard Sherron Collins in a civil lawsuit concerning an alleged assault.

The attorney for a woman suing Kansas University basketball player Sherron Collins said his client showed "great courage in speaking the truth" from the day she said she was assaulted in a Jayhawker Towers elevator in May 2007.

James Wisler, the attorney for Jessica J. Brown, said Friday he was preparing a response to Collins' motion to have a default judgment against him set aside. Earlier this week a Douglas County judge granted judgment in excess of $75,000 to Brown because Collins, 21, had not responded to the lawsuit filed May 14.

Brown, 35, who worked in the Jayhawker Towers, is married, has children and other family in Lawrence, Wisler said. He said she had their support as well as many in the community in dealing with the "trauma of the event."

"Jessica Brown has never sought publicity. She only sought justice," Wisler said. "The facts and the legal issues are too complicated to fully and accurately discuss in the media."

Collins has not been charged with a crime and the alleged incident is still under investigation.

In the motion to set aside filed Wednesday by attorneys for Collins, the basketball star said he was unaware a previously hired attorney was no longer representing him, which was why he did not respond to the lawsuit.

Wisler said seeing Collins' motion was the first time he had heard Collins thought he had an attorney representing him at the time he was presented with a summons in the case.

Collins' previous attorney was not identified in court documents. Collins is now represented by attorneys Chris Burger and Brad Finkeldei of the Stevens & Brand law firm. They were unavailable or did not return phone and e-mail messages on Friday.

Comments

quigley 11 years, 2 months ago

What a nightmare for everyone associated with Kansas Basketball. I should have known I couldn't enjoy our championship through the summer.

trich424 11 years, 2 months ago

"What a nightmare for everyone associated with Kansas Basketball".......and the woman who was allegedly sexually assaulted.

quigley 11 years, 2 months ago

I guess that makes her "associated" with Kansas Basketball doesn't it?

Lance Hobson 11 years, 2 months ago

I told you we needed to get rid of the towers. It's a frickin' housing project even without our scholar football and bball players.

ralsterKUMed95 11 years, 2 months ago

Not much anyone can say until the facts come out, other than of course, speculate...All I care in the end is if Collins will be able to play next year, and of course I hope he is innocent, as he is saying now.

cobweb 11 years, 2 months ago

Seems to me that if she was going to lie to extort money, which is a crime, she would pick one of the guys going pro like Rush or even Self. Why would a wife and mother do this to poor Sherron and take the heat for getting a judgement she may never collect? Also, Collins' excuse was LAME.

fansincewilt 11 years, 2 months ago

I am guessing but the amount sounds like much to do about nothing or very little. Did Sherron physically assault the lady? I doubt it. Did he go a little bit too far? Possibly. You have to be so careful in this politically correct world we live in since there is a lawyer behind every corner looking for opportunities to sue. Sherron will someday be worth quite a bit of money if everything follows suit. Whyjust 75,000? If there was no physical assault, the lady should let it go. Good night! What is this world coming to. A simple pass by a guy to a lady is now a civil suit. I really hope there was no assault. I doubt there was. Who was the lady that accussed Justice Thomas? Guys beware! While some ladies appreciate the attention, others will sue. I am opposed to inappropiate action, but a lawsuit? Brother!

davidsmom 11 years, 2 months ago

It looks like Sherron is already tried and convicted in the media. All we have is some vague story about him "rubbing against" the woman, which I still don't understand how that translates into physical harm, and he is being accused of sexual assault. It is a clear case of guilty until proven innocent. I've had guys do disgusting things in front of me or close to me or to me when I was younger, but never considered myself to have been "sexually assaulted." Why are there no more details being reported about how this could possibly have been a case of sexual assault? Why is no one providing a legal definition of "sexual assault" so we can see how this is possible?

cobweb 11 years, 2 months ago

Oh come on. If that was your mother or sister, you would want to kill somebody.

63Jayhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

All of the speculation about this alleged incident is worthless. This alleged incident is not minor or "a little out of Hand". It is a serious accusation. I have no clue as to Collins innocence of guilt.If he is proven guilty, then I would prefer that he be removed from KU's basketball team in spite of his obvious skills.If he is proven innocent, then his accuser should should have to pay dearly.

Dyrk Dugan 11 years, 2 months ago

the "assault" " (and that's right, it's in quotes...because at this point it's dubious at best) occurred over a year ago. no criminal charges ever....not even an arrest of Sherron. It's highly possible this would have been thrown out of civil court if Sherron had done any follow up at all and contested the suit. Now, we have all of these delcarations of "i'm totally innocent," and "she showed great courage in speaking the truth" and on and on. there's something wrong here with this whole story.

palewhale 11 years, 2 months ago

This whole thing has brought back some uncomfortable memories I had in a Jayhawk tower elevator. Very similar situation but there was no "exposure". Just some football players trying to be cool and act tough in front of my girlfriend and I. It was the only time at KU I ever felt scared or uncomfortable in any situation. Through that one experience I can relate to Ms. Brown's story if indeed it is true.That was a different time and I doubt anyone one would have believed us if we were to report it. I feel for anyone put in a similar situation.And...I'm not saying Collins is quilty!

5DecadeHawk 11 years, 1 month ago

Will The Lawrence Journal Enquirer now start an entire series of half baked stories quoting people that have no knowledge of the incident?People are being untruthful, and we don't know who.This disrespectful publication is now set to soil itself further by "reporting" on trivial rumors and unimportant developments in the case.Sadly, the writers and editors want to try this case in the media where nobody is under oath. Yellow Journalism at it's finest.A respectful organization would simple allow the process to proceed and report the results when they are known. Continuing to be a conduit for mud slinging between both sides encourages more people to lie.Grow up LJW.

Keith Kienzle 11 years, 2 months ago

Jessica Smith has another 4 years of leeway to bring criminal charges...and so does Jessica Brown.

Mike Blur 11 years, 2 months ago

Mvjayhawk, I'll make this brief, and I will never bring it up again because it hurts the family.When my nephew was murdered, it took nearly a year and a half for charges to be brought up because of legal proceedings.Jessica Smith has another 4 years of leeway to bring criminal charges.

KGphoto 11 years, 2 months ago

davidsmom?Dead on!! Why would Jessica want publicity, when she can have $75,000?"Assault" is a misused word, like many others, to produce ratings, advertising, and cash in some wealthy pocket. If he exposed himself and "rubbed" her, we should all stand up and file similar lawsuits, from some point in our lives. LJW should know better, but I guess they are just another victim of a materialistic generation.I'm not okaying Sherron's alleged actions. I'm saying that everybody has to live their lives. It's not always pretty, and the current legal system is an all-to-easy bail-out/paycheck for those who choose to abuse or (assault) it.Sherron. You are not off the hook. You need to take responsibility for your life. You need to grow up. You need to pay through honesty.I'm not a legal system. I'm going with my gut. We all are. Sherron, my gut tells me that something happened. You were there. You acted immaturely. Pay up. Be honest. Then move on.This is how real life works. It's okay to make mistakes, as long as you learn from them, and move forward.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 2 months ago

This whole thing is going to drag on all summer and get nasty. It's pretty sad situation. Somebody is lying BIG TIME and which one is doing it should be very ashamed.

Superheated 11 years, 1 month ago

I think the lady is a opportunist. Even if he did do it, come on since when does some guy pulling his wanger out equate to $75000!!!! GIVE ME A BREAK! To me this is nothing more then extortion. To me it sounds like indecent exposure at best. Not justifying it but Ive been working for ten years and havent saved $75000, I havent even saved half of that. If he raped her then that is a different story.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 1 month ago

Looking at it from the angle IF Collins did indeed "expose" himself then there should be criminal charges and not civil.Why the civil? Are you telling me the lady is "so traumatized" by this event she had to quit her job?Was his member that small or that large that he screamed and ran home and sobbed for days? I mean.......come on now.If what happened as she alleged then, I will say again......file the criminal charges and let the process take its course. If indeed the DA finds there criminal charges are not warranted then move on.Filing a civil suit is a waste of societies time in this case.

cobweb 11 years, 1 month ago

......a waste of time unless it happened to someone you care about.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 1 month ago

I disagree.Civil is about money. If THAT is all you want, file it.Criminal is about justice. If you want justice then you'll do the right thing.

cobweb 11 years, 1 month ago

If you can't get justice because of lack of witnesses, file a civil suit to make the d-bag squirm and have to deal with the publicity.

actorman 11 years, 1 month ago

"LJW should know better, but I guess they are just another victim of a materialistic generation.""A respectful organization would simple allow the process to proceed and report the results when they are known. Continuing to be a conduit for mud slinging between both sides encourages more people to lie.Grow up LJW."Man, you guys are pathetic! In case you're not aware, the LJW is a NEWSPAPER!!! The job of a NEWSPAPER is to report the NEWS!!! When a local celebrity is accused of sexual assault, that is NEWS!!! When one of the attorneys talks about the case, that is NEWS!!! What is it about the concept of NEWS that is so difficult for you guys to comprehend??? I defy you to name ONE other newspaper in the entire U.S. that would not report this story in exactly the same way as the LJW has. If they DIDN'T report it, a lot of the same people who are now calling the LJW a tabloid would be talking about how they were participating in a cover-up."since when does some guy pulling his wanger out equate to $75000!!!! GIVE ME A BREAK! To me this is nothing more then extortion. To me it sounds like indecent exposure at best."Just out of curiosity, if a guy (who was much stronger than you so you couldn't fight back) pulled out his "wanger" and rubbed it against you even after you repeatedly told him to stop, would you be pissed off beyond belief, or would you just consider it indecent exposure? This is not to say that Sherron did it, but IF he did it, rubbing it against someone is NOT just indecent exposure."Civil is about money. If THAT is all you want, file it.Criminal is about justice. If you want justice then you'll do the right thing."Since the standard of proof is much greater for criminal "justice," sometimes the only "justice" anyone can get is by suing in civil court. Yes, it often is just about money. And often it isn't. Do you honestly believe that the only reason the Goldman family sued O.J. was because of money?