Originally published June 16, 2008 at 11:14a.m., updated June 17, 2008 at 12:00a.m.

Civil suit hits Collins for $75K

KU basketball player denies alleged assault, apologizes for shirking legal responsibilities

A certified letter about a personal injury claim sent to KU basketball player Sherron Colins had an incomplete address on it, Collins' lawyers argued in court filings recently.

Sherron Collins lawsuit

Sherron Collins accused in civil lawsuit

Kansas guard Sherron Collins is making headlines today for a ruling against him in a civil lawsuit filed on May 14th.

A Douglas County District Court judge has ruled in favor of a woman who filed a civil lawsuit against Kansas University basketball player Sherron M. Collins, 21, over an assault she said took place in an elevator.

Judge Jack Murphy signed a journal entry in the case this morning granting judgment for damages in excess of $75,000 to Jessica J. Brown.

Brown's attorney asked the judge to rule in Brown's favor because Collins had not filed a legal response to the lawsuit since it was filed May 14. Court records show Collins was served notice of the lawsuit the same day it was filed.

In her lawsuit, Brown, 35, accused Collins of exposing himself and rubbing against her despite being told repeatedly to stop. She said the incident occurred May 18, 2007, in an elevator at Jayhawker Towers where the woman said she worked.

Brown said in the lawsuit she was unable to continue working at the towers because of the incident. She claimed damages for humiliation, severe emotional pain and mental anguish. She claimed she incurred medical bills and suffered permanent medical, emotional and psychological damages.

A court hearing will be held July 8 to determine the exact amount of damages to be awarded, according to court records.

The lawsuit was filed because the statute of limitations for battery in a civil case is one year, according to Jim Wisler, a Lawrence attorney representing Brown.

Two letters, one of them certified, were sent to Collins about the matter before the lawsuit was filed. But Collins did not respond, Wisler said.

In her lawsuit, Brown had requested a jury trial. When Collins did not respond to the lawsuit in 20 days as required by law, Wisler filed a motion asking for a "judgment by default."

At the July 8 hearing Wisler will request a specific amount for damages. He declined to comment on what that amount might be.

In a statement issued Monday afternoon, KU head basketball coach Bill Self said KU officials were made aware of the allegation 13 months ago and described it as serious and not to be taken lightly.

"Sherron fully cooperated with the investigation and maintains that the allegation is false," Self said. "Based on the information I have received, Sherron has my full support."

Self expanded on his statement after his basketball camp Monday afternoon.

"I know Sherron's father is very ill and Sherron went home to Chicago to see him," Self said. "I was waiting on him to get back because this was news to him as well. I'm disappointed that he's got to deal with this and we've got to deal with this and certainly I'm not passing judgment on anything but I wish this was handled differently because I know he'll look forward to fighting any allegations."

Self added that he didn't know Collins had court date until today when it came to light that he missed it.

"Certainly that's no excuse because ignorance is no excuse. You have to step up to the plate and accept your responsibilities," Self said, while adding he trusted Collins was truthful when he said he was innocent.

In the statement, Collins said he is "100 percent innocent of any inappropriate behavior."

Self said Collins didn't fully understand the legal process concerning the civil lawsuit.

"While I just became aware of the court's actions, I am very disappointed in the fact that Sherron didn't follow through on his responsibilities regarding the civil lawsuit," Self said. "I am confident he will work diligently to address this situation."

Collins said he didn't know what was expected of him and what his responsibilities were in the civil suit.

"I'm sorry and I intended no disrespect to the court," Collins said. "I will do my best to correct this and to prove that this allegation is not true."

No criminal charges have been filed.

However, the alleged victim did file a report on the incident with the Kansas University Department of Public Safety.

Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson said Monday that his office was aware of the allegations the woman had made against Collins. He said his office had requested additional investigative work from KU police and had not yet received a completed report. He said he was not sure how long ago that request was made.

The statute of limitations for filing criminal charges is five years. The civil lawsuit will not have any effect on the district attorney's office's decision whether to prosecute, Branson said.

KU police spokesman Capt. Schuyler Bailey said late Monday afternoon that lab tests were being conducted by the Kansas Bureau of Investigation concerning the complaint against Collins. The investigation had not been completed because the results of those tests have not been received, Bailey said.

No one was available to comment late Monday at the KBI headquarters in Topeka.

Comments

JayhawkPurist 11 years, 2 months ago

tis4tim 11 years, 2 months ago

F-R-I-V-O-L-O-U-SCollins still should have filed his required documents, though. May 14...during finals week, right? She probably knew she had a better shot at the cash by filing when everyone is preoccupied with more important things.I'd also like to know how many other times she has filed a similar complaint in the past. Lawsuits can be a pretty decent source of supplemental income.

Seth Peattie 11 years, 2 months ago

hey, peter56321 -shut up and SUCK IT!!!!!!! or I'll expose myself to you.Tool.

bunot 11 years, 2 months ago

i smell BS, and i don't mean bill self. :(

Marcia Parsons 11 years, 2 months ago

May 14? About that time Sherron was deep into the Big 12 tournament and the start of the NCAA. It would be easy to let something slip past, even something important.

cklarock 11 years, 2 months ago

Wait a minute -- Sherron supposedly exposed himself and rubbed on this lady in an elevator? What the hell? Is this true?

MGJayhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Wait until all the facts come out. I'm sure the report is skewed somewhat.

tis4tim 11 years, 2 months ago

Also, anyone know how this decision will appear on Collins' criminal record? Is not filing an admission of guilt or a no contest or is it just considered a settlement without the admission of guilt?Boston Legal never covered this so I don't know.

Jason Spangler 11 years, 2 months ago

The last thing Judge Murphy is out for is publicity. Collins should have simply responded to this allegation. Pretty simple situation if you ask me.

topekahawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Man, how can we expect Collins or anybody to respond within a YEAR?! Clearly, he should have been given more time.Regardless, this will now be appealed but Sherron's disorganization and/or laziness has caused this PR headache for himself and KU.As far as the $75,000 is concerned, the judge would have ruled for the plaintiff if it was $1, because Sherron NEVER RESPONDED TO THE COURT. Sherron should have gotten his rear end to court and disclosed this to the KU attorneys.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 2 months ago

Why didn't Sherron (or his reps) AT LEAST respond to the filing?!?!?!

stravinsky 11 years, 2 months ago

Hmm. Lose lose situation for everyone. Girl says Collins exposed himself. Conveniently, there's no way for anybody to prove anything. Also conveniently, Collins will be making megabucks in the near future. Besides, it's not exactly like Collins probably has to try AT ALL to get girls. How... interesting. On the other hand, athletes have a reputation for feeling entitled to whatever they want. Not saying this is the case for Collins. I'd like to think he's a good guy. But who knows. Unfortunately for Collins, he's a guy. Even if he had responded to this (WHY THE HELL DIDNT HE... Seriously.) he's guilty until proven innocent in this sort of thing. Before people start tearing that apart, sexual crimes are such a tough thing. You have to protect women, especially since there are a lot of bad guys out there, but a lot of times it seems like the guy doesn't have a chance whether it's true or not. To me, it smells like it's for the money. Everything points toward that. At least, I hope I'm right.

johnballa 11 years, 2 months ago

That seems like a case that should be on Judge Joe Brown. It smells like BS to me.

jaybate 11 years, 2 months ago

Perhaps now we know why Coach Self signed so many guards.

frompekka2sasha 11 years, 2 months ago

While this cannot be condoned and Sherron should be punished severely... 75K isn't going to make anything better. These monetary lawsuits are going to be the end of us."She claimed damages for humiliation, severe emotional pain and mental anguish." I'm sure none of this has been overstated in the least...

EchoOfReason83 11 years, 2 months ago

After meeting Sherron numerous times at bars (he isn't exactly 21 or at least wasn't at the time). There is no doubt in my mind that he could have done something like this. He is in no way a model citizen especially while drunk. However, I think he is a great basketball player and as long as this doesn't ruin his status at KU he will lead us to a great season next year. This is just what happens when you have kids thrust into the spotlight and the people around them allow them to do practically anything without consequences.

JayCeph 11 years, 2 months ago

This whole thing doesn't add up. There is no reason to file this suit if it wasn't a criminal action. Since there was no police report filed, the worst that can be said is this woman had her feelings hurt.Neither Sherron nor anyone else should have to pay for someone else's thin skin.I have no regard for this filing or ruling since this woman didn't feel that the 'infraction' warranted police intervention.This smacks of money-grubbing.Sad, really....

peter56321 11 years, 2 months ago

frompekka2sasha,This is called a default judgment. If you don't file an answer to a complaint (lawsuit) and don't appear in court, the judge has no choice but to rule against you. That rule applies to all adults be they basketball players or people with no understanding the the law whatsoever complaining on sports boards.

Mike Blur 11 years, 2 months ago

Pekka, there's no vendetta except for the court system being anti-male in general. There's little doubt Collins committed the crime; there's no use fighting the charges. That's why the KU legal team ostensibly advised Collins not to contest the charges. Get it done, and publicized as soon as possible so the public can start the "forgetting process."Stories like these are one reason why I try to expose myself to as little information about players as possible. I could care less about players' parents, kids, girlfriends, etc. I have never, and will never, ask for a players' autograph or photo op. I sincerely hope HCBS doesn't fall into the Terry Allen abyss of recruiting lowlifes into to Lawrence Kansas community in the name of winning. In my opinion, HCBS is on a sort of personal probation with me. When he was recruiting Sherron, he told him that he was the missing link for a national championship. Well, guess what, Bill was right, but it doesn't give Collins a free pass to act a fool around females.Bill, I'd like to thank you for the title and some amazing memories. As we move forward, I'd like you to thoroughly examine the character and demeanor of the young men that you invite, and would reside in Lawrence for 1-4 years under your tutelage and leadership. Lawrence is a unique and special community, and I hope that all student athletes are a part of that community in a positive and constructive manner.

charlesyu 11 years, 2 months ago

Somehow I think this whole thing can be spun into a feel good movie.I am pretty much thinking Collins is the victim here.

frompekka2sasha 11 years, 2 months ago

One more thing- do these judges rule against the basketball and football players every time? It seems like there may be a vendetta (the opposite of Chad May justice in Manhattan) with these judges.A lot was made over Brandon's tickets and that judge obviously was trying to get some publicity. These kids are not perfect but they are pretty important to the city of Lawrence. I sure hope that Johnny Law takes this into account, while still doing the right thing in the end.

smitty33 11 years, 2 months ago

Jayceph, you're exactly right. This isn't a case without a police report. This is a matter of Sherron not responding. It will be interesting to see if the court can provide a signed report of Sheron being handed his papers. If not, Judge Brown needs hammered. If so, Sheron's an idiot for ignoring this bad PR for himself.

NH_JHawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Seems unlikely that something of this magnitude and severity could've happened given the amount of time one would actually spend on an elevator ride at Jayhawk Towers. I lived at Jayhawk Towers and I dont recall it taking anymore than 10 seconds or so riding from top to bottom...even less time if you have stops along the way.Also, no police report? I'm not saying it didn't happen, but there's a lot of unanswered questions here and $75,000 seems rather excessive to me. But hey why not right? If you can receive millions for spilling hot coffee on yourself, then why not go for a measley $75k?

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 2 months ago

No matter how frivilous a claim a person must protect themself. This is what Sherron did not do.

11 years, 2 months ago

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV, but I would wager a guess since there were no criminal charges filed, the grounds for this suit are suspect at best. Like jayhawkinatl mentioned, they should have at the very least responded to the filing.

Hawklin 11 years, 2 months ago

Incident May 2007.Filed for money May 2008.America.

klineisanazi 11 years, 2 months ago

Sherron was stupid for not answering this. For god's sake he could have gone to Legal Aid for advice. Now he has a default judgment and a boat load of bad publicity for himself and the program. Try explaining to people that this wasn't decided on the merits. As you can see from this thread, the average non-lawyer won't understand this l. All they will see is the judgment and the sordid allegations.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 2 months ago

Kansas Statement Regarding Sherron CollinsLAWRENCE, Kan. The following are statements from Kansas head coach Bill Self and KU guard Sherron Collins regarding the story posted on the Lawrence Journal World web site earlier Monday.Kansas head coach Bill Self "This is a very serious allegation that we have not taken lightly. We were made aware of the allegation over 13 months ago. Sherron fully cooperated with the investigation and maintains that the allegation is false. Based on the information I have received, Sherron has my full support."With regards to the civil lawsuit, Sherron has said he didn't fully understand the legal process. While I just became aware of the court's actions, I am very disappointed in the fact that Sherron didn't follow through on his responsibilities regarding the civil suit, I am confident he will work diligently to address this situation."Kansas guard Sherron Collins "I am aware of the allegation and cooperated with the investigation last summer. I am 100 percent innocent of any inappropriate behavior.""I was not fully aware of what was expected of me in the civil suit and what my responsibilities were in that matter. I'm sorry and I intended no disrespect to the court. I will do my best to correct this and to prove that this allegation is not true."

sdoyel 11 years, 2 months ago

EchoOfReason83,Exactly what percentage of people do you think are model citizens when drunk? Come on now....

Joe Ross 11 years, 2 months ago

Yes, it's best to reserve judgement.In this country you are "innocent until proven guilty". But the pros/cons are these:The affirmative: The innocent until proven guilty assumption hedges against the accusations of those who may falsely finger people who have done nothing wrong. For malice, greed, or personal gain this young lady "MAY" be trying to take advantage of Sherron Collins' stardom.The negative: It is possible that Sherron may not be able to be PROVEN guilty, but actually is. If there isnt elevator surveillance footage, only the young lady, Sherron, and God will know, and Sherron may beat a wrap he's guilty of (if indeed he did it). This is the leader of next year's Jayhawk squad and more importantly an athletic representative of the greatest program in NCAA hoops history: Kansas.It is right to reserve judgement until the system does its work.

soapboxstew 11 years, 2 months ago

Who IS a model citizen when they are drunk?This is child's play compared to what I saw in the dorms, in my fraternity, and on the streets of Lawrence.For this specific charge, there would have been 243 counts of this my freshman year on 'Hawk Week' alone.Not to mention that I saw/participated in FAR worse than that during that week alone.College is the time when young minds come together and do the dumbest sh*t imaginable. It's the whole 'most freedom, least responsibility' 'time of your life' thing. And if you did college right, you did things that you would not want to be made public.Bush did Coke--Clinton smoked pot, Sherron exposed himself; and he did so while observing his constitutional right to be a dumb a$$ in college.With all of that said, there is a line that you can't cross. I'm not talking about the blue line of the 'law', I'm talking about the line that you cross from being a dumb a$$ to a bad person. That line occurs in the tone of her voice: did she say "STOP!" (serious and angry), or "c'mon, stoooop" (the flirtatious way)? Continuing on when she says the ladder makes you a bad person; continuing on when she says the former makes you a dumb a$$. I too have been a dumb a$$ (most of those times coming in college); but I have never been a bad person. My guess, Sherron is a dumb a$$, not a bad person. I mean seriously, even I would have been more flattered than angry.

nettiepie 11 years, 2 months ago

Is this a he said/she said? Were there any witnesses?

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 2 months ago

There are two things which bother me alot.First, when this reported I just assumed the lady was a college student. However, we find out now she is 35 years old. Would Sherron do this sort thing to somebody almost twice as old as he? Also, what is the evidence which was sent to the KBI?Secondly, I am concerned Self was not more on top of this. I would have thought some of the past issues would have given alarm to him to tell his players in no uncertain terms "if I find out in the media then you are dead meat."It sounds as if Self is taking Sherron's word for things. However, he failed to inform his coach of this court date today which doesn't bode well for the "integrity" part.

soapboxstew 11 years, 2 months ago

JayCephI was worried about my use of the 'former', 'latter' (actually I used 'ladder'); but my point should be obvious to those that know the proper placement of those words.I think you know what I meant.

JayhawkPurist 11 years, 2 months ago

Honest mistake regarding the years, Kaneda.Let's also remember that the case at issue is a civil suit, and accordingly the burden of proof for civil liability is a "preponderance of the evidence", not guilty "by a reasonable doubt". This woman thus has a lower burden than the state would if it brought criminal charges, but nevertheless, I still argue that if Collins should've either (1) settled this thing on the condition that the facts would not have been discolsed; or (2) taken it all the way to trial and leave it up to a Douglas County jury.

KUbsee69 11 years, 2 months ago

Just wondering ... how much does a KSU, MU, et. al. supporter have to pay somebody like her to lie about a thing like this?

Ed Fox 11 years, 2 months ago

You people are not very bright overall. Let's let the adults in the legal system deal with this. Sherron is to blame for not addressing this situation as he should have - I have a good suspicion that this is a frivolous suit and no criminal charges will be brought - but at the same time how many other athletes have done crazy things that we would have never suspected? Let the process work it's course, he'll have a chance to fight this still, it will just be more difficult for him now because he didn't live up to his simple responsibility of getting an attorney (probably for free through the University) and having an answer filed. But let's not make unsubstantiated claims about the woman, the police, the judges, Sherron, etc. until the process has played out.

JayhawkPurist 11 years, 2 months ago

I'm reserving judgment on this one, but I have to believe it would have been in Collins' best interest to have answered the woman's complaint. Think about it: even if it went to trial, what are the odds that a Douglas County jury is going to find a KU basketball player liable in a "he said/she said" incident like this one?

overseashawk 11 years, 2 months ago

funny how this came out now. Coulda woulda shoulda declared? Probably go second round but I'd imagine he'd still could have gotten a contract.

KanedaMGM 11 years, 2 months ago

"If HCBS and the KU brass have known of the allegation for 13 months, shouldn't the article read that the alleged incident occurred on May 18, 2006 (instead of 2007 as stated)?"um... it is 2008 now so 13 months ago would have been 2007 not 2006

Scott Perlmutter 11 years, 2 months ago

Also, I doubt many Lawrence residents will side for her in the jury trial for damages. A jury of 12 people from Lawrence would likely side with Collins and award the $1 judgment, not $75,000+.

bayareajhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Whether he did it or not, Sherron is an idiot for not answering the lawsuit. Even if he did it, it would be very difficult (it seems to me) to prove it in court. And it is very interesting that there were no criminal charges filed (nor a police report, as has been pointed out). Is that simply because she knows she can't prove it beyond a reasonable doubt but might be able to prove it by a preponderance of the evidence? Is it because she is only in it for the money and so a civil trial is the only way to go? Probably a bit of both. I just hope the kids on the team learn from this, and there are at least two lessons to be learnt: 1) don't rub your penis on a 35 year old janitor in the elevator, and 2) when you get a special delivery of court papers naming you in a lawsuit it's generally a good idea to respond to the court. This is at least the second time this group of kids has ignored the court with some negative consequences. Please, guys, will you actually learn from this?

Linda Daxon 11 years, 2 months ago

I wonder what the comments on this site would be like if this judgement had been handed down against a Memphis player? Collins irresponsibility in not responding to the suit certainly makes KU look bad, at the very least. . .and it would seem that someone in the athletic department /bb program dropped the ball on this by not following up. Self should be furious.

JayCeph 11 years, 2 months ago

soapbox...former vs. latter (earlier vs. later)I think you mean you have been in the latter category, not the former. This in turn would be a tolerable and excusable *(if not condonable [is this a real word? no] ) action.If you or Sherron were in the 'former' category, you would both be a world of 'schnapp.'

actorman 11 years, 2 months ago

"i mean who you going to trust some skank that works at the towers(i lived there, they are all skanks) or the guy who dished it to mario against memphins"Congratulations! We have a winner for the most ignorant post here (and that's saying something, given the high number of moronic comments)."the burden of proof for civil liability is a 'preponderance of the evidence', not guilty 'by a reasonable doubt'."Maybe it's just me, but I think if there's reasonable doubt you're generally found NOT guilty.Good points about the "lab results," FlaHawk. I was wondering the same thing. As someone else pointed out, other than a "Lewinsky dress" type of situation, what lab tests could they possibly be running???My first inclination is to agree with the majority here that the whole thing looks pretty suspicious. On the other hand, one of the saddest things is that there's no way we'll ever know for sure, no matter what the final results are.Another good point, FlaHawk, about Sherron's background not being conducive to understanding the situation. But as you say, where on earth were HCBS and the KU administration in all this? They had to know there was a decent chance that a lawsuit would be filed within the one-year deadline. Shouldn't they have gone over it with Sherron so he understood what needed to be done if a suit were filed? How could they not be prepared for that possibility??? The whole thing is just plain strange.

northleavitt 11 years, 2 months ago

If Self and Lew knew about the incident 13 months ago, their inability to help Sherron obtain counsel is simply inexcusable even if the Lawrence DA decided not to pursue charges. If this was a situation "not to be taken lightly," why did Sherron fail to file an answer? I can only read between the lines and guess that those who are way more sophisticated than Sherron failed to educate him on the severity of these allegations regardless of whether they have any merit.Sometimes there are strategic reasons for not responding to a complaint and taking a default judgment (e.g. when the monetary amount sought in a complaint is uncollectible). Here, because Sherron may be on the receiving end of a multi-million dollar NBA contract next year, I think there is certainly an incentive to fight these charges. Now that this matter has gotten the media's attention, I expect that Sherron will retain a pretty good lawyer. His lawyer will request that the court vacate (i.e. erase) its default judgment against him. And courts are usually flexible in vacating default judgments. Once vacated, Sherron will have the ability to answer the charges and it could be a very long season for Sherron if this case hangs around. I truly hope he can clear his name.

Scott Perlmutter 11 years, 2 months ago

KU may want to get the woman's info pulled from the KU website for people. It has her name, job title, private phone number and email. She is now a Janitor at Ellsworth Hall.

hawkfan4life 11 years, 2 months ago

You have got to be kidding me...a thirty five year old jayhawk tower worker? Why in the heck would he do some dumb stuff like that. TRUST ME on this one, Sherron has some seriously attractive females that he gives his attention to... very well educated young professionals, and even some young college boppers that we keep around just in case a need arises. At no point in time, intoxicated or not would he mess with a jayhawk tower worker. I mean seriously, give the guy some credit because we all know that he has better taste than that. This is just ridiculous.

FlaHawk 11 years, 2 months ago

While the facts are not clear on this and their are many angles to be explored it is obvious that somethings need to be answered:1. Sherron is not mature and not from a collegiate background. His ignorance of the law is typical for an inner city guy, but he is two years removed from this environment.2. KU AD must have a legal eagle or at least an admin to eep up with all the tussles with the law. I can not believe HCBS and Lew forgot what was going on!3, Why is DC DA still waiting on lab tests from KU which is waiting on KBI (talk about a goad f**k), 13 months after cident. I did not read that their was sexual contact are they looking for strands of Sherron's DNA or clothes fibers? This should not be this long in getting results. Where their is smoke their usually is fire!The lab results hopefully will clear Sherron or incriminate him. I feel their might be more than a he said/she said if they are doing lab tests. You don't normally do lab tests for a he said/she said civil suit. There are plenty of fingers tobe pointed at KU AD, HCBS and Sherron! The he said/she said things happen all the time! There is a lot more to be learned about this case!

CaramelMacchMan 11 years, 2 months ago

Does this mean i have to think about getting into elevator every time there is a woman in it? what a bunch of BS!!!

KUGreenMachine 11 years, 2 months ago

filing a lawsuit may 14th 2008 for something that happened may 18th 2007. i'm confused...did she tell herself that she wouldn't file a lawsuit until KU won the championship???? This woman sounds like a crazy stupid piece of trash.... I'm sure KU police will mess the evidence up and charge Collins so they can fulfill their big headed power trips..rent a cops..

charlesyu 11 years, 2 months ago

The ku fan spin train has left the station and is picking up steam. It doesn't matter what our athletes do as long as they win.

ajs10 11 years, 2 months ago

I'm reserving judgement too...but you can't blame Coach Self or anyone else on the staff...court was entirely Sherrons responsibility.

Michael Pannacciulli 11 years, 2 months ago

your salary! do you think as an employee of the towers she knew they didn't have cameras? or maybe HE knew that? kobe beat a worse rap I guess. It stinks no matter how you slice it. puts a damper on the championship bliss and nba draft excitment somewhat for me.

oldboy 11 years, 2 months ago

Can you guys say "Duke lacrosse"?It is best to let the thing run its course as right now people tend not to think rationally. However, I thought about those Duke kids immediately when I saw this one.I don't think that Collins is that kind but I don't know him personally. I do think that this may well take the team down to one experienced player other than walkons.

Chris Weaver 11 years, 2 months ago

as a loyal jayhawk fan and collins' defender -i am saddened that self and staff didn't handle this better -i am aware that where there is smoke, there is fire -and i am disgusted by some of the shallowness displayed on this board -let's hope that collins is absolutely cleared of these charges and that the allegations are totally false - if there is truth in this young woman's statements, then i hope justice is brought about

klineisanazi 11 years, 2 months ago

More than one poster has commented on the woman's age, and the contention Collins could "get" women if he wanted them. This involves an alleged sex crime. Exposing or rubbing oneself on someone, as alleged here, doesn't have anything to do with "getting women" no matter what their age. I would have thought such myths about sex crimes were laid to rest a long time ago. I am not at all suggesting that I believe Collins did this. IMO, Collins is still presumed innocent , as this judgment was not made on the merits. Self is sticking his neck out for Collins. Until he gets to present his side in court, I'll go along with Coach Self.

Lance Hobson 11 years, 2 months ago

It's stuff like this that made me stop exposing myself to women in elevators. Times have changed...Seriously, what in the world is up with this? It was a year ago, what is a matter with this woman? Unless she kept her clothes with his DNA on them a la Lewinsky how will she ever prove this?As far as him not filing - I wouldn't have known what to do with a letter like that when I was 20 years old. I'm sure he just hoped it would go away.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 2 months ago

Interesting find in the archives at LJW May 2007.Read the comments below the article.Archive for Wednesday, May 23, 2007On the record May 23, 2007Law enforcement report¢ Kansas University Public Safety officers are trying to contact a suspect involved in a report of sexual battery and lewd and lascivious behavior.According to a KU Police report, the man entered an elevator at Jayhawker Towers, 1603 W. 15th St., about 9 p.m. Friday. He then exposed himself to another person in the elevator and rubbed against the person. Capt. Schuyler Bailey said the department was trying to reach the suspect Tuesday.¢LJWorld.com doesn't necessarily condone the comments here, nor does it review every post.Read our full policy. Also, read about banned accounts and harassing comments. 1. 23 May 2007 at 4:49 p.m. JoRight (Anonymous) says: $10 says it's a football player in the Jayhawker towers. 2. 24 May 2007 at 3:44 p.m. raiderssb (Anonymous) says: Actually, it is a basketball player whose initials are SC

CasperCorps 11 years, 2 months ago

Why doesn't he have five chicks around him at all times? The man plays Kansas BASKETBALL!!!! Fricken Moody even got a hot chick... Someone by the kid some draws and a belt...

gram77 11 years, 2 months ago

Why should the athletes get special treatment? The regular kids are the one's paying all the tuition. The athletes need to act like they have a brain whether they do or not!