Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Woodling

Woodling: Last time KSU won at home …

Jayhawks brush off Beasley guarantee

KU players fended off questions regarding KSU freshman Michael Beasley's comments that the Wildcats would beat the Jayhawks at Bramlage, in Allen Fieldhouse and even in Africa.

Self says current streak KU's best

According the Kansas head men's basketball coach Bill Self, the Jayhawks' current win streak of 20-0 isn't as impressive as the end of the 2005-06 season's 15-1 run.

It happened exactly a quarter of a century ago, and it hasn't happened since.

On Jan. 29, 1983, Kansas State's men's basketball team trimmed Kansas, 58-57, in cacophonus and claustrophobic Ahearn Fieldhouse on the K-State campus - the Wildcats' last victory over KU in their own bailiwick.

Who were those Jayhawks? Who were the last KU basketball players to lose in Manhattan?

A check of the archives showed that coach Ted Owens put a decidedly callow crew on the floor that night. Owens started three freshmen - Calvin Thompson, Kerry Boagni and Jeff Guiot - and a first-year junior-college transfer in Carl Henry.

Junior forward Kelly Knight was the only KU starter who previously had played in Ahearn, a stone relic that always reminded me of an oversized dog run.

On the surface, Owens' inexperienced club couldn't realistically hope to overcome the raucous anti-KU atmosphere. And yet they almost did : probably would have, in fact, if the Jayhawks hadn't been outscored, 18-3, at the free-throw line.

Asked about the free-throw disparity - KSU shot 26 charities, KU only four (all by Henry) - Owens bit his tongue, rather than risk the wrath of the conference office. Instead, he painted a positive picture.

"I thought we took a step forward even though we lost," Owens said afterward. "We kept our poise in a tough environment."

Tough indeed, and yet I can't gloss over the fact Kansas did not lose to one of KSU coach Jack Hartman's vintage teams. Those 'Cats, led by such semi-luminaries as Les Craft and Eddie Elder, would finish with a slightly worse record (12-16) than Kansas (13-16).

At least when the season ended Hartman still had his job. Owens didn't. Athletic director Monte Johnson fired him.

Henry led the Jayhawks with 15 points that night 25 years ago. Boagni added 14 and Thompson 10. Knight scored eight while point guard Guiot showed some moxie with nine assists and only two turnovers while playing the entire 40 minutes.

Of those five KU starters, three would be a part of the start of The Streak the next year. Henry, Thompson and Knight played in the Jayhawks' 63-61 victory in 1984. In fact, Henry scored the game-winning basket with just three seconds remaining.

Where were Boagni and Guiot? Gone and injured, respectively.

Boagni, who made the Big Eight Conference all-freshman team in '83, lasted 10 games under first-year coach Larry Brown. The 6-foot-9 forward started the first six games, was benched for the next four and then quit. He transferred to Cal State Fullerton, then played pro basketball for nearly a decade in New Zealand.

Guiot, meanwhile, spent his entire sophomore season with the Jayhawks, but missed the entire conference schedule with a back ailment. Not that it mattered. Guiot had lost the starting point guard job to Cedric Hunter, also a sophomore, and saw the handwriting on the wall. He transferred to Pittsburg State.

Today Guiot is head coach at Southwest Baptist, an NCAA Division II school in Bolivar, Mo. He and the rest of his KU teammates are now in their mid- to upper 40s. Owens, who now lives in Tulsa, is 76.

And that's the story of the last KU basketball team to lose a game in Manhattan.

Comments

JNgohawks 6 years, 9 months ago

It would be neat for Henry's son to come here and keep the streak going (assuming we win tomorrow) that his father helped start!

Blake Post 6 years, 9 months ago

Ron Kellogg was on that team. I don't recall whether he played in that game but later in his career he was known to score 40 points on saturdays several times... WITHOUT A THREE POINT LINE. That loss to KSU probably cost Owens his job, but this was the start of the greatest team, the 1986 Jayhawks. Other teams may have gotten close but failed to make the final four. This is still my number one team until another takes it. It had Dreiling, Kellogg, Thompson, Hunter, Marshall, and course, all world Danny Manning, (He-Manning, Master of the Universe). Only putrid reffing vs. Duke stopped us from being champs. No slight to Manning's '88 champs... they get all the love too.

Blake Post 6 years, 9 months ago

Yes. We are ready for the son(s) of Henry. Carl was also an awesome Jayhawk. He might have been one of our best pure shooters.

okjhok 6 years, 9 months ago

Good piece, Chuck.

I'll agree that the '86 team was probably the best, at least in my lifetime. I was too young to fully appreciate it at the time, but I caught the fever with that team, and expecially Manning, and haven't lost it since. I remember seeing Manning and a few of the boys at the McDonalds on 23rd during one of those years. In a time when we weren't desensitized by an overabundance of sports coverage, seeing this still somewhat mysterious, larger-than-life figure in person is something I'll never forget.

KUbsee69 6 years, 9 months ago

okjhok said "during one of those years ... seeing ... this larger-than-life figure in person is something I'll never forget".

After attending the Northern Arizona game in November, some of us went to a local Lawrence establishment to grab a bite. D. Manning came in and we still "got those chills". For a Jayhawk, Danny's presence is and always will be very special. He's a giant among giants.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!!!

Dirk Medema 6 years, 9 months ago

That '86 team was fun. How about an article on the beginning of the run?

klineisanazi 6 years, 9 months ago

"...Ahearn, a stone relic that always reminded me of an oversized dog run."

Now that is a great little gem I'll have to file away.

SuperCorona 6 years, 9 months ago

Carl Henry did not come from a juco. He transfered from Oklahoma City University.

JayCeph 6 years, 9 months ago

I always thought Ahern was a nice place that seemed to owe a lot of what it was to the design of AFH. They resemble each other on many notes. To say it is nothing more than a glorified dog-run would be inferring that AFH suffers from the same malady... which it certainly does not.

They are both great buildings. I would love it if the Cats were to abandon that horrid sunken trailer called Bramlage and move back to Ahern. That way, the games would feel more historic and relevant than a rivalry played in a piece of architectural @$$.

5DecadeHawk 6 years, 9 months ago

I don't think there is too much to worry about. If K-State loses to KU in Bram this year, their fans might be so distraught that they'll burn the place to the ground.

Lance Hobson 6 years, 9 months ago

That '86 team broke my heart. It was the beginning of a long hatred for Duke. It will be nice when we beat KState tomorrow, I've been cherishing this game and the usual outcome since I was a freshman at KU in '89. It must be so humiliating for them!

Mitch_4_KU 6 years, 9 months ago

You should check out Jeff Guiot.He has an amazing record at the schools he has coached at. He must have learned and few things from Owens and Brown... go check out SBU Bearcats ..

Mitch_4_KU 6 years, 9 months ago

Oh Strikewso: I don't like Duke but Billy Packer was the person to really hate after that game.....and fowever more.....he HATES KU.

jhox 6 years, 9 months ago

I keep hearing people say the '86 team was the best ever. I also hear people say the '96-'97 team was the best ever. I've followed KU basketball since 1974 and I've followed it extremely closely since 1977. In my opinion, this is the best team yet, followed by the '96-'97 team.

What I love about this year's team is the fact that they really have no weakness (other than free throw shooting). The '86 team had scorers, and maybe the best close game coach in the history of basketball, not to mention a young Danny Manning. They had very good outside shooting, but I don't recall Kellogg or Thompson being high draft picks, like Rush, Chalmers and Collins are likely to eventually be. But neither that '86 team, nor the '96-'97 team could defend anywhere near as well as this team. It's rare to see a team defend like this year's team yet still be loaded with good outside shooters. Every guard is capable of knocking down an open outside shot, so it's impossible for a team to ignore one player and double up on another. This year's team also has great inside defenders, and depth, so they have a lot of fouls to give, and they have big men who can also score. I thought early in the season rebounding would be our achilles' heel, but Self seems to have fixed that problem pretty successfully. The only weakness I'm seeing on the current team is free throw shooting.

Shooters have off nights, and every team has a game now and then when everyone seems to go cold at the same time. Defense, on the other hand, is the one constant thing a team can bring, and this team is good enough defensively to win even on off shooting nights. This team may or may not win a national championship, but I have no doubt it's the most talented and deep team at KU in the 34 years I've been following KU basketball(which is saying something because that '96-'97 team was incredibly talented.)

tdub 6 years, 9 months ago

The last time KSU won at home I wasn't alive yet... and I'm a KU alum now.

jaybate 6 years, 9 months ago

tdub, that is a GREAT post! Someone should get a grave stonemason to etch it in a grave stone and some enterprising KU students should take the stone out to Bramlage, mix up some quickcrete concrete and cement it to the sidewalk at the front foor of Bramlage.

Brandon Snook 6 years, 9 months ago

I was quite meloncholy when KU lost at Ahearn in '83. Granted, I was merely a fetus at the time, but it was still a sad day.

KUFan90 6 years, 9 months ago

Agree with your rankings Jhox. I'd put '86 third.

David Robinett 6 years, 9 months ago

I attended the 1986 Final Four in Dallas. I recall that both Dreiling and Manning each had less than 10 points, and that's what I attributed the loss to. I think that was the game that Archie Marshall was injured mid-game. Also a spark off the bench was...Mark Turgeon. This was also the first time I heard the Rock Chalk chant in a public place other than AFH - pretty cool to hear it in Big D.