Originally published August 6, 2008 at 06:40p.m., updated August 7, 2008 at 01:28a.m.

Self discusses his new deal

KU hoops coach guaranteed $3 million a year

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self celebrates after the Jayhawks defeated Memphis to win the national championship in this April 7 file photograph. Self has signed a new 10-year contract with KU.

New contract puts Self at top of coaching pay scale

On Wednesday the University of Kansas released the details of Bill Self's new 10-year deal. The agreement pays Self $3 million per year, plus incentives, making him one of the highest paid coaches in all of college basketball.

Around Division I

Contract comparisons

PREVIOUS SELF CONTRACT

Current term: April 1, 2006 to March 31, 2011.

Base salary: $229,900.

Professional Services: $1,155,700.

Retention Payment: $225,000.

Total: $1,385,600 + $225,000 = $1,610,600.

Incentives:

Final 4: $100,000.

NCAA Championship: $200,000.

Big 12 Regular Season Championship: $50,000.

Big 12 Tournament Championship: $25,000.

Associated Press Coach of the Year: $50,000.

NEW SELF CONTRACT

Term: April 1, 2008 to March 31, 2018

Base Salary: $229,900.

Professional Services: $2,270,100.

Total: $2,500,000 + $500,000 = $3,000,000.

Retention Payment: $500,000 (guaranteed after taxes) per year.

Incentives: Remain the same.

Note: Retention earned only if coach remains each year. Paid out in 5 year increments. Current retention agreement is in place until 2011. A second retention agreement on the same terms will be earned for remaining each year during the second 5 year period.

Bill Self, who has signed a new 10-year contract that will provide him a guaranteed $3 million a year through March of 2018, has one wish for the next decade.

"In my perfect world, everybody will be happy the next 10 years, that we continue to recruit good guys and we win. That's my hope. That everybody involved with KU is happy," Self said in a cell phone conversation with the Journal-World Wednesday -the day details of his newly signed contract were released to the public.

"I love KU. It's where we (he and his family) want to be," noted Self, who was completing a short vacation at Pine Valley Golf Course in New Jersey. "I felt the administration always has been fair with me since I've been here. They looked out for me when we had back-to-back losses in the first round to Bucknell and Bradley and are looking out for me (financially) after our success the last couple years."

That includes last season's national championship. After the season, Self's alma mater (Oklahoma State) came calling. KU athletic director Lew Perkins stepped to the plate and made sure Self stayed at KU. Perkins concocted a deal that will pay Self an annual salary of $229,900, unchanged from his previous contract which paid him an annual total of $1,610,600.

The compensation package also includes an annual payment of $2,270,100 for professional services, which may include educational, public relations and promotional duties as assigned by Perkins.

Such duties could include the production of any radio or television shows, Internet features or Self's occasional endorsement of products affiliated with and approved by Kansas Athletics or its marketing partners.

Additionally, the compensation package includes a tax-free retention agreement that pays Self $500,000 for each year during the contract that he serves as Kansas' head coach.

"Lew and I visited. We talked about many things," said Self, 45. "We talked about my assistant coaches, secretaries, staff, facilities, living arrangements (for athletes at soon-to-be renovated Jayhawker Towers). The last part was me," Self said.

"There were no negotiations with Lew. He asked what I thought was important. I said facilities (including new practice facility), taking care of my assistants and staff. He was telling me what he was thinking. I said, 'I think that would be fantastic.' I was hopeful of close to a 10-year deal. We talked about number of years. There was no negotiating on the dollar amount," added Self, who believes he'll "still want to continue coaching" when the deal runs out at age 55.

Perkins arrived at the $3 million figure, which could rise to $3,425,000 if Self reaches all of his contract incentives. It's believed Florida's Billy Donovan is the country's highest-paid coach at a public institution at $3.5 million a year. Duke's Mike Krzyzewski reportedly makes more than Donovan, but the private school will not release details of Coach K's pact. Texas' Rick Barnes is previously highest paid coach in the Big 12 with a salary reported at $2 million. As far as public institutions, the $30 million compensation to Self is believed to be the largest financial commitment a school has committed to a college hoops coach.

"Bill was great to work with. There were no issues at all, zero. These were two willing parties, the university and coach, and we sat down and agreed to a lot of things quickly," Perkins said. "I think the university is extremely pleased we were able to keep Bill here and we are excited about that. He has done a tremendous job here and he deserves what we are paying him."

For 10 years.

"I had no problem with it. We want him here 10 years," Perkins stressed of the length of the deal, which has no buyout clause if Self ever decides to leave KU.

Perkins said he believes the new deal makes Self one of the top-five-paid coaches in the country, but there's no way of telling for sure with so many complicated clauses and incentives in contracts. For instance, Self's deal includes benefits such as use of two automobiles, a $2 million life insurance policy, travel expenses for his wife and two children attending games outside of Lawrence, right to hold a summer camp and clinics, 10 tickets to each home game and six tickets to each away game.

"We never discussed that," Perkins said of other coaches' deals. "There are so many different ways people do it. It's complicated. Everybody has a different format. What I try to do is call around the country, people I have confidence and trust in. Our goal was not to put coach (Self) one, two or three. We wanted to pay him what we thought he deserved to be paid. There are all kinds of other ways to make income for a coach."

"Maybe I'm up there pretty high," Self acknowledged, adding the years make him most happy. "There's no reason to do a rollover (contract). My thinking is 10 years is plenty of time if people get tired of me after that they have the right to tell me to move on."

Self declined to reveal his assistants' pay, only saying of their raises: "I'd say (they are) substantial." KU has not yet released details of his assistants' contracts. The figures will not rival Kansas State's Dalonte Hill, who makes $400,000 per annum.

Self reiterated he's hoping to stay at KU a long time. He addressed rumors that the NBA might come calling.

"I have no crystal ball. I am not on anybody's short list that I am aware of. To be honest, I will not say that (NBA) will never pique my interest. Certainly not in the near future. I have too good a job here at Kansas," Self said.

KU football coach Mark Mangino recently signed an extension that will pay him $2.3 million per year through 2012.

Comments

zissou 6 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone know where Bill stands historically in win totals both at KU and nationwide? I'm wondering, if he keeps winning during the next 10 years at the pace he has been so far (something like 30 games a season), how long it will take for him to start getting into really monster numbers? Any info would be appreciated.

JayCeph 6 years, 1 month ago

As for the T. Boone Pickens references... the man is right on track. Natural gas cars? Sure thing. City buses have been running on that energy source for more than 10 years and it is 2/3 less polluting than conventional petroleum-based fuels.Wind farms? Sure thing. Kansas is in THE prime location (geographically and historically) to position itself as the next 'Saudi Arabia' of wind energy. Cost to develop the infrastructure? Less than the cost of one year of the current Mid-East military conflagration.Off shore drilling? Ha! Talk about sticking one's finger in a dike. That will do nothing but prolong the ever-decaying energy situation as we know it.The USA used to the be the trend setter for innovation. Isn't it time to live up to our own expectations of ourselves and lay the groundwork for a new and prosperous tomorrow... with the US at the front of the charge?ps- Go Bill Self... or whatever.

JJHawq 6 years, 1 month ago

On a side note - I appreciate T Boone's efforts in the renewable energy front... I disagree w/ the "natural gas cars" aspect, but appreciate that he is spending some money to push the issue further into the public discussion...

5DecadeHawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Congratulations Coach Self.The rest of us need to be ready for the ticket price increases and the donation increases to pay for it.The money doesn't just fall out of the sky into the man's pocket, ya know.That's not a complaint. Coach deserves it. My point is that we all need to keep in mind the financial facts of life that make it happen.

rockchalk80 6 years, 1 month ago

JJHawq - grin... you are right , you are way off to the side.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

Making Self AD when Lew retires would certainly solve the communication problem with a new AD.But Self will probably turn pro as soon as his kids are out of the nest a few years.Self has a chance to equal Larry Brown now and win at both levels. If the right organization with the right money comes along, Self is gone after five more years. He has too many L's in his early years to make a serious run at Coach K's eventual W record, which will be 950 or a 1000 games. Self's immediate goal is to win a couple more rings at KU and cement himself as KU's most legendary coach of the modern era. The only brass ring that might matter to him now is getting an NBA title. I believe he will get one.

Lance Hobson 6 years, 1 month ago

Having Perkins and Self come here has worked out great for us, I hope they can keep the machine going for many years to come.

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Ten years ... can we assume that this would carry him through his son Tyler's graduation from KU?

Ed Fox 6 years, 1 month ago

This is the news that we'd been waiting for. Now let's just keep the NBA out of our hair and win at least 3-4 more national championships. I have little doubt that Coach Self will establish KU as the program that all others want to emulate over the next decade.

tis4tim 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm glad we've sewn up Bill Self for the next decade. But, I'm inclined to think that the way players and coaches at the pro level and coaches at the college level can opt out of supposed contracts at any point he may not stay the entire duration.My concern revolves around the idea of what happens if Lew leaves or retires. We all know what an A.D. (good and bad) can do for lines of communication. Anyway, for now all is great and I couldn't be happier. I agree with a previous poster who mentioned the "golden age" of KU basketball. I think we're looking at a possible dynastic level of success over the next few years. Also to JayCeph... You said: "Off shore drilling? Ha! Talk about sticking one's finger in a dike. That will do nothing but prolong the ever-decaying energy situation as we know it."I would only suggest that the situation is ever-decaying because we haven't done any drilling in three decades. Rock Chalk!

kranny 6 years, 1 month ago

To all posters on this board,I hope we're showing the same love to HCBS during the not-so fervent years. I've seen a certain degree of "fickleness" on this board before.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

"To be honest, I will not say that (NBA) will never pique my interest. Certainly not in the near future."--Bill SelfCoach Self sought and got long term security, but he can only be sure that he won't jump to the NBA in the near future.Congratulations, Coach Self, you've got KU security AND an interest in leaving for the NBA after the near future.Let's not hear any complaining about athletes saying how much they love being at KU, while testing the waters in the NBA draft.Coach, or player, in D1, you've got to be VERY comfortable with ambiguity.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

txrockchalk,I'm an optimistic sceptic, not a pessimist. ;-)

ralsterKUMed95 6 years, 1 month ago

This all couldnt be happening to a nicer, more deserving person than Bill Self. A proper reward, well earned in exemplary fashion. So many adjectives to simply describe the superlative...If anyone has ever met him in person, he is so personable, friendly--you cant help but like the guy. And the job he has done at KU, wow. A complete style of basketball, with proper decision-making required by all positions, with deftly recruited athleticism and depth added, all performing as a team on offense, defense, and all done without egos. What an outstanding representative for the University of Kansas, the BigXII, and the sport of college basketball. And certainly for the lives of the young men he will help mentor.

NH_JHawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Congrats Coach Self! This is indeed what we've been waiting for as fans/alumni. Jayhawk nation should be feeling pretty good right now considering we just locked up the head coaching positions for both fb and bb with two of the nation's best!Now, are you ready for some football?RCJHGKU!

kansaspike 6 years, 1 month ago

Bill---Re: NBASee Tim Floyd and Rick Pitino (among others)Well done Lew....the no negotiation was beautiful.

bmkjayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Self is 142-32 at Kansas, and 349-137 overall. He will turn 46 in December. To average 30 wins/season for the next ten years would be tough, but I don't think 25 is all that unreasonable. That would put him at 599 at age 56. I'll let you take the speculation from there.

jhwkfanincali 6 years, 1 month ago

Bill Self gets 10 years......view it as karma but the Roman numeral for 10 is X......that's right my Jayhawks fans, Xavier Henry is neXtROCK CHALK JAYHAWK KU!!!!

5DecadeHawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Good grief.Bill Self just won a National Championship, turned down big money from an oil man, and signed a 10 year contract.Now we have fans, making predictions trying to almost push the guy out the door in a few years!WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT? Bill Self BY HIS ACTIONS has made a long term commitment to KU. He's prooven that he's a quality coach and can win the big prize.Picking apart the man's comments after he's prooven his intentions by signing a long term deal? Talk about negativity.Heyyyyy....... that's productive......Let's start a bunch of unsubstantiated rumors.....Let's get everyone talking about him leaving....Let's get all the recruits wondering how long Coach will be at KU......This unfounded speculation is the most illogical, asinine, irresponsible, and ridiculous load of bull excrement that can possibly be interpreted from this situation. He is OUR coach.Here are a few thoughts for everyone....Maybe he LIKES LAWRENCE?Maybe he wants to stay here and retire here?Maybe he wants stability for his family?Ever think of that?Of course anything is possible. He would be irresponsible to say otherwise. What is PROBABLE? C'mon people. How many coaches in the history of college basketball have EVER signed a 10 year contract?What does THAT say about his intentions?Have fun people. We just won a National Championship and got a long term commitment from a great coach who loves being here. LIFE IS GOOD! If you want to go bash something.... go bash tigger and kitty fans. That's what they are made for!

canuckhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

The great thing about his deal is that Self made it a point to upgrade the entire program and not just cash in his own chips. Taking care of facilities and assistant coaches are signs that HCBS liked the taste of the national championship and that the marginal benefit of another NC means more to him than another million in the bank.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

Imagine Coach Self's record if he were at UCLA, or UNC, where it has been historically easier to recruit more of the best players. At KU he is 81.6%. What? Would he be undefeated at UCLA? :-) Oops. I forgot Roy as a case study. Maybe its not easier to recruit to UNC. Isn't Roy winning at about the same clip at UNC that he did at KU? Is there a law of diminishing returns in recruiting advantage as one reaches top programs?

jerhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Self just keeps the TRADITION well in tact. He has and has had support all over.

milehighhawker 6 years, 1 month ago

I do believe that at KU he has the highest winning percentage of any coach in the country. Anyone care to correct me? I'm pretty sure that's the case.

5DecadeHawk 6 years, 1 month ago

T Bone's wind plan isn't really about power generation.T Bone is trying to get eminent domain rights to build a pipeline to steal water from aquifers that run all the way up to Kansas and send it to Dallas.If he succeeds Kansas irrigation will suffer. Farmers will suffer. Food prices will increase. Google "T Boone Water rights" to learn more.Wind power can do a lot, but that's not what T Bone is going after. It's a "pipe" dream. His wind farms and power lines to feed them to a grid is just a smoke screen for water.

yates33333 6 years, 1 month ago

I agree and the somewhat overweight football coach ain't a bad deal either.

Ryan Gerstner 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm glad to see KU pay Bill like he deserves. There's no place like Kansas. First class all the way.

James Horton 6 years, 1 month ago

It is defintely great to see this commitment from the administration to coaches who produce great athletes and good men. I would love to see HCBS retire from KU and get a statue across from Phog Allen. Can't wait for the upcoming seasons of both FB and BB.

BCRavenJHawkfan 6 years, 1 month ago

Out of all the things in this article what I found interesting was Self indicating that the administration "looked out for me when we had back-to-back losses in the first round to Bucknell and Bradley". Kind of tells me there was someone with influence beating down the administration door and asking for a head on a platter.Interesting how things can turn out.

6 years, 1 month ago

jaybate - Always the optomist ;)zissou - bmkjayhawk beat me to the totals. According to the media guide and adding this season's record, here is Bill Self's all-time coaching record:55-54 / .505 (Oral Roberts)74-27 / .733 (Tulsa)78-24 / .764 (Illinois)142-32 / .816 (Kansas)-------------------349-137 / .718 (overall)

JayCeph 6 years, 1 month ago

I can't imagine why the negotiations would take any time at all.Let's see... someone offers me roughly 3+ million a year for a guaranteed 10 years... Before the ping could clear the ether, I would've accepted!In this day and age when everyone is scared for their jobs from one month to the next, this is a major no-brainer.Congrats to Self. Now, let's see those numbers translate to continued success on the hardwood.Rock Chalk!

741hawk 6 years, 1 month ago

The guy who deserves the credit for Lew and Bill is long-forgotten. Drew Jennings, interium AD for six months, hired both . . . during tumultuous times! Props and kudos to Drew Jennings.Remember to greet your KU friends with "Rock Chalk." It drives the Tiggers crazy!

ralsterKUMed95 6 years, 1 month ago

Basically we regular posters here can be analyzed by our content and conviction, and the way we analyze things. Some even have self-insight. Case-in-point: Jaybate. One might interpret his 'cautionary' analysis of Self's soundbites as Jaybate being a 'cup half-empty guy'. Nothing wrong with it, but it does jump out at me because I am an optimist, and for most of us this is a huge time of pride and revelry in all things Jayhawk. I am so happy for Self. I love his style of complete basketball. He deserves what he has earned as his salary. I liked Roy. I think Bill is better. And certainly the best coach the somewhat-geographically-challenged Univ. of KS can have is this era, as our guy can recruit em from all over, AND get them to check their egos at the door. I personally am not going to worry about some hypothetical situation that may not ever happen. Heck, I dont even worry about dying, and that is guaranteed to happen! There's the optimist again...Nothing against Jaybate (love his posts), but Self has given me no reason for skepticism yet.

Chicago_JHawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Good call, 741hawk! Dru Jennings was the man who guided the ship before Perkins came aboard. Also, I have to agree with 5Decade. What more can we ask of Bill Self? He turned down OSU and signed a long term deal at Kansas. What more is there? He answered honestly when asked about the NBA. Better to leave the door open (we all know it is) than definitively say he's here for life. Remember how we all reacted the last time that happened..."I'll be here until I retire or die..."The man is 46 (I think) and has been a member of the KU family for only 6 of those years (one in the 80s plus the last 5). He isn't born and bred like a lot of us...