Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Analyst: Jayhawks BCS-bound

Big 12 outcome unlikely to alter KU's bowl placement, Palm says

Hawks wait for bowl decision

No Big 12 championship game for the Kansas football team this weekend. The Jayhawks now wait for a big-time bowl committee to come calling.

Talib's Heisman vote goes to Chase Daniel

Chase Daniel is suddenly the starting QB for the top-ranked team in the land and a contender for the Heisman Trophy. Jayhawk CB Aqib Talib says Daniel "ran the show" in Saturday's Border Showdown.

BCS projections

BCS expert Jerry Palm of collegebcs.com predicts Kansas will go to the Fiesta Bowl no matter the outcome of Saturday's Big 12 championship game. Here's Palm's guess for the BCS bowls if Oklahoma beats Missouri on Saturday in the Big 12 title game:

BCS National Championship: West Virginia vs. Ohio State

Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech vs. Georgia

Rose Bowl: Southern Cal vs. Illinois

Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Kansas

Sugar Bowl: LSU vs. Hawaii

The overwhelming perception is that Saturday's Big 12 football championship game has huge implications toward Kansas University's chances of going to a BCS bowl.

That might not be entirely accurate, according to one expert.

"I'm trying to think of how you get to four at-large teams that don't include Kansas," said Jerry Palm, who studies the BCS and runs collegebcs.com. "I haven't come up with a scenario where that happens yet."

If Palm is right, that means Kansas could end up in the Fiesta Bowl no matter what happens in Saturday's Big 12 title game between Missouri and Oklahoma.

First, a BCS crash course:

¢ The BCS consists of five major bowl games - the Fiesta, Rose, Orange and Sugar bowls and the BCS National Championship Game. The Fiesta Bowl, a Jan. 2 game in Glendale, Ariz., has ties with the Big 12.

¢ Six conference champions - Big 12, Big Ten, Big East, Pac-10, SEC and ACC - get automatic berths. The top two in the overall standings play in the BCS National Championship Game.

¢ Hawaii has a real shot at locking up a seventh berth. If the Warriors - from the non-affiliated Western Athletic Conference - finish in the top 12 of the BCS standings, they're in. They currently are No. 12 with a game against 4-8 Washington on Saturday.

¢ The remaining three BCS berths likely will go to at-large teams. The bowls essentially will get to choose among teams in the top 14 of the BCS standings from the six major conferences (or top 18 if there aren't enough candidates in the top 14). Only two teams per conference can go to BCS bowl games.

With that in mind, a Missouri victory over Oklahoma would make a Kansas BCS berth highly probable. The Tigers would play in the BCS National Championship Game on Jan. 7, and the Fiesta Bowl is expected to keep its close Big 12 ties in tact. The Jayhawks (11-1) would be the best, if not the only, choice out of the conference.

"I don't normally say always or never this time of year," Fiesta Bowl president John Junker said of having a Big 12 team. "But generally speaking, that's a pretty important thing to us."

But even if Oklahoma beats Missouri, the Jayhawks still have a shot at going to Arizona. The Sooners would go to the Fiesta Bowl as Big 12 champions, and the bowl would then have to choose an opponent for OU after the Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl makes at-large selections. Palm envisions the Fiesta having a choice among Hawaii, Arizona State, Missouri and Kansas.

Palm thinks it would be the Jayhawks, who could play the Sooners in the postseason since the two didn't meet in the regular season. Missouri would be out of the question having played Oklahoma twice already.

"It's not a great choice for the Fiesta Bowl," Palm said, "but that's probably the best choice for them."

Junker was asked Monday if there was any desire for an all-Big 12 Fiesta Bowl.

"As the Big 12's BCS bowl destination, we have tremendous respect for the conference and the quality of football," Junker said. "It certainly isn't anything we would rule out at this point."

Of course, it's no lock. For example, Missouri could get picked up by the Orange Bowl before the Fiesta gets a shot at Kansas. That would make the maximum two Big 12 teams in the BCS, shutting the door on KU.

But a Missouri loss to Oklahoma would cripple the Tigers' chances. The losers of any conference-championship game rarely have snagged an at-large BCS berth in the past - only Oklahoma in 2003 has done it.

History is on KU's side in that regard.

"I think at some point, somebody takes Kansas," Palm said. "I don't see who is more attractive to the Fiesta Bowl as a potential at-large team than Kansas."

The waiting game continues, however. The final BCS standings - and matchups for all five of the big bowl games - will be unveiled at 7 p.m. Sunday on Fox (Sunflower Broadband channel 4).

Until then, it's all educated guessing - something that KU coach Mark Mangino hasn't cramped his brain doing just yet.

"It's hard to speculate," Mangino said Sunday. "Things get really complex this time of year. It's hard to speculate with these championship games and some other games to be played.

"I'd like to say," he added, "that I'm optimistic about it."

Perhaps with good reason. But only time will tell for sure.

Comments

actorman 12 years, 6 months ago

BTW, for those of you who keep saying a BCS bowl wouldn't pick us because we're not an attractive team, then why did so many BCS reps keep coming to KU games? If they weren't even considering KU I don't think they would have kept coming to see us play. And anyone who saw KU play this year on a regular basis knows how wildly entertaining a team we are. So I don't buy that argument.

Kevin Long 12 years, 6 months ago

In order for us to get in we need mu to win. The way the BCS is, they would not pick KU trust me. I don't want mu to win, but i want a BCS game. Hard to pick which one i want more.

flipborder02 12 years, 6 months ago

We are going to get a BCS bowl for sure if MU beats OU. If OU wins I think we dont have as good of a chance as we would the other way around.

Doug Fisher 12 years, 6 months ago

According to the article even if Mizzou loses we still might go to a BCS bowl. Another good reason for me to root for OU.

dbgjayhawk 12 years, 6 months ago

i'd like for the hawks to go to a bcs bowl, but i don't want mizzou to beat ou. let's hope that we'll go either way.

Drew Alan 12 years, 6 months ago

I hate MU. BUT... I want them to win the national title.

why?

lets say MU beats oklahoma and then wins the national title. we get in to the fiesta bowl and play somebody like hawaii or whatever, and we win.

we go 12-1 and our only loss is by one score (8 points IS a one score game) to the national champion? I think at that point we would have a pretty good arguement for #2 in the country, which would easily be the bests season of football in Kansas history, and would be a great way to build up the program, and the big XII as a whole, because as I see it, the Big 10(+1) and the SEC get way more respect than the Big XII.

I know it sounds weird, but it makes us look the best, and thats all I care about.

Kyle Crenshaw 12 years, 6 months ago

just root for mu to beat oklahoma, opening up a bcs game for us, and then just root for wvu to beat the living daylights out of mu!

bennettcl 12 years, 6 months ago

A BCS bowl game win is all I want for Christmas. So if Mizzou has to beat OU for that to happen then I'm going to root for Mizzou. I want OU to lose as well so they'll have 3 losses and Texas will have 3 losses while Mizzou and KU sit on top the Big 12 with only 1 loss each. That would also mean NO South conference teams in a BCS game. How good would that look for the North to have 2 teams in the BCS bowls. Also a good friend of mine's brother is Jeff Wolfert (Mizzou's kicker), so I'll root for him. Even though he drilled two kicks against us, not bad for a walk on. I sure hope we have a good kicker and punter lined up for next year, cuz we definitely hurt BADLY in those areas this year. Anyways we'll find out Sunday night where were going. We can make guesses all we want but I'm just going to wait and see if they give us a at-large bid on Sunday.

12 years, 6 months ago

I'm all about gaining respect for the Big 12 North, but the last thing we need is for MU to win the National Championship. If you think their hubris is beyond the pale after beating us on Saturday, we would NEVER hear the end of how great their football program is.

How funny OU is favored to beat them this weekend. It will be interesting to see if MU comes out flat in that game after an emotional win over us, or if they are focused and play with a chip on their shoulder.

jayhawkinATL 12 years, 6 months ago

I second that kylecisnum1!!!!

I think I can only get myself to pull for Mizzou once...against OU to "guarantee" us a Fiesta bid. After that, it's open-season on the Tigers as far as I'm concerned.

JayViking 12 years, 6 months ago

Yes yes, give us the BCS and then let them get smooooooooked.

dbegert 12 years, 6 months ago

The determining factor in this scenario is whether the Rose Bowl would care enough to replace OSU with another B10 school. They would, after all, get the first pick to replace Ohio State, and I don't see how you pick Illinois (who would have barely squeaked into eligibility, at #14 or so in the BCS) ahead of Georgia, or even Mizzou and Kansas, to play USC.

So assuming the Rose takes Georgia, the Orange would next pick an opponent to play VT. Would they take a 1 loss KU team over a 2 loss Mizzou team that recently beat KU? I do not think that they would.

That eliminates KU due to the two-teams-from-one-conference BCS rule, so ASU would be the next best choice and they'd play OU in the Fiesta.

The Sugar gets the last pick and they'll be forced to take Hawaii due to their winning the WAC and being in the top 12 of the BCS.

Basically: go Mizzou, and then go Mountaineers!

Jim Pendleton 12 years, 6 months ago

As much as I want to see us in a BCS game, I am disagreeing with this analysis. If OU wins this weekend, there is no way that we will be selected as an at large, having just lost to MU last weekend. Even though MU would have two losses, the fact they just beat us head to head will be too fresh in everyone's minds.

I am also somewhat concerned about some other games this weekends, which to me have the potential of moving others ahead of us. USC (if they win the Pac 10), LSU (if they win the SEC), maybe even Va Tech (if they win the ACC). I realize these teams all have two losses, but winning title games and the fact they are big name schools could move them ahead of us. Even though we would still be in the hunt for an at large spot, we might be looked at differently with a lower ranking.

Finally, I must jump on my soap box again with the fans. Those of you that left early Saturday night - you ought to be ashamed. Yes I know it was cold, yes I know things didn't look good, etc, etc. However, you so called fans who only come out when things are great, would have looked like idiots had we recovered that on-side kick with two minutes to go, and went down to win. You all looked like people in years past who left during the third quarter of games once we fell behind. Again, this is the best year we have had in years, and this team does not deserve that. We still have a big game left, and future years better have a different mindset. We should be sold out in advance next season, and start building this thing so it is great every year. Rock Chalk!!

KUDB99 12 years, 6 months ago

Just another reason why the entire system is flawed, and college football NEEDS a playoff. Now I despise MU, but tell me how fair it is for them to beat us on a neutral field, lose a next game on a neutral field and get shut out of the BCS picture. This is similar to what happened to K-State '98 when they lose to Texas A&M and lost out on a BCS berth, even though had they won, they would have played for the National Championship. The whole system is flawed and should be scrapped

William James 12 years, 6 months ago

Good point jayhawkjim. Dont ever give up on Reesing or the team. We were an onside recovery away from winning that game. Very dissapointing KU fans. After what this team has accomplished they deserve better support. I had a couple sitting next to me that left in the 3d Qtr. because it was cold and they didnt like the score.

Chicago_JHawk 12 years, 6 months ago

Luckily the bowl tiers are a little better defined now than they were in 1998, in terms of waiting until after Saturday to extend invites. Remember how everyone was so convinced that KSU would beat A&M, that the Cotton and Holiday bowls had already invited other teams, so when K-State lost, they were relegated to the Alamo Bowl (which they lost while being HEAVY favorites over Purdue). The system is now set up such that a similar scenario would not happen to KU.

Al Salazar 12 years, 6 months ago

To the trash pile with MU, I hope OU bounces them out of the stadium. Hopefully KU will get a BCS bowl on their own merit, not because MU won the Big XII title

If we wanted to lock up a BCS bowl, the Hawks would have taken care of business at Arrowhead. I hope the Tigers get locked out of the BCS with two losses to the same team in the same season. Finishing second to MU does nothing for me. If the BCS ends up taking MU with two losses to the same Oklahoma team I'm sure that will be a ratings bonanza for prime time television....right! I think MU's second loss to OU will be a lot fresher on the minds of the BCS then KU's only loss a week earlier, but thats just my opinion.

Regarding the game at Arrowhead, I and three of my friends were the only KU fans sitting in the front row behind the goal post on the MU side of the field. I had a blast cheering for the Hawks, and stayed till the games conclusion even after Reesing got sacked in the end zone for a safety a few feet from me. The MU fans next to me would do pushups on the fence after each MU score, but were never out of line. There was one MU fan who yelled 'F&*k KU' in the restroom and several more who yelled "Go Home!" when we did decide to leave at the end of the game, (one MU fan did apologize for the drunk idiot in the bathroom) but what gets me is a majority of MU's fans live in St. Louis which explains a lot about their sportsmanship and character and I live in KC. So they had a longer ride home than I did or even those fans from Lawrence. KU will have a better showing next year when they trounce MU next year at Arrowhead. Here's hoping for a BCS Bowl. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

sevenyearhawk 12 years, 6 months ago

I'm all for Mizzou winning, to deliver Kansas into the Fiesta ... but I do NOT want them to win it all, unless they are playing Ohio State, their fans are WORSE than the Tigers ...

As difficult as that might be to believe!

Drew Bender 12 years, 6 months ago

Mizzou beat our jayhawks on a nuetral field... that fact cant be changed... they are the better team this year... give them their respect and cheer for them to win the NC... no matter how much you all hate MU and are bitter about the tough loss... that would make KU look so much better... plain and simple

bennettcl 12 years, 6 months ago

I forgot to mention this earlier, while I want Mizzou to win on Saturday, I hope they get smoked in the Nat'l Championship. I want West Virginia or whoever it maybe to be to humiliate them on national TV for everyone to see. So they can put their tail between their legs and drag their a**es back to Mizzery.

Brad Watson 12 years, 6 months ago

I DON'T THINK THE ROSE BOWL IS GOING TO TAKE A 3 LOSS ILLINOIS TEAM.IF OHIO ST SNEAKS INTO THE TITLE GAME...I THINK THEY LIKE KU..AND I THINK THAT WOULD MAKE A GREAT CHRISTMAS GIFT..DON'T YOU?..I THINK I SMELL ROSES

Brad Watson 12 years, 6 months ago

OU WILL BEAT MISSOURI...THERE IS NO PRESSURE ON OU...ITS ALL ON MISSOURI..THAT WILL BE THE DIFFERENCE

Kevin Long 12 years, 6 months ago

I agree with you jayhawkjim80. Well said in your thrid paragraph. I have been saying that all year.

hypersocial 12 years, 6 months ago

We only dropped to 5th, people. History is a pretty good indicator on this one. Tell me what % of the time there have been teams coming off a loss the week before selection (even in a conference championship) getting a BCS at-large...If OU wins, MU will drop to at least 7-8th and we will become a more of a prize. I'm not ruling out an Orange or Rose selection.

Craig Lang 12 years, 6 months ago

As much as I want to see KU make a BCS game, I absolutely CANNOT root for Mizzou to win. Sorry, but I can't.

beakemhawks 12 years, 6 months ago

The last thing I want is to "sneak" into a BCS game if Missouri wins.

The point of this article is that KU fans can still cheer for OU and have a great shot (according to our "expert") of a BCS bowl. At the start of the season, any fan would have taken the Cotton Bowl...granted that was then and this is now, but cheering for MU so we can get to a bowl will never happen from this fan.

Rock Chalk and BOOMER SOONER

sevenyearhawk 12 years, 6 months ago

The North has gained so much ground on the South - I don't want to concede, even this ...

okjhok 12 years, 6 months ago

I won't cheer for OU either...can we arrange a bomb dropping on the Alamodome Sat night? I don't think anyone can rule out the Holiday Bowl, but it's not being mentioned. OU and UT would both be excellent representatives for the Cotton, and if we don't get BCS, might wanna consider making plans for San Diego. Que sera, sera....

okjhok 12 years, 6 months ago

There might not be another team in the country with as many bowl possibilities as us.

bmcmich1 12 years, 6 months ago

We wouldn't be "sneaking" into a BCS game with a mizzou win, we would be 100% earning it by going 11-1.

It's completely insane to say "I'd rather go to the Cotton Bowl than see Mizzou win."

What would the team want to do?? You know, the guys that are out there busting their butts to get to the best bowl possible? I sure as hell think that they don't give a rat's a$$ whether it's Mizzou winning that puts them in the BCS, so long as they get to the BCS!

You know what the whole "I'd rather my hated rival lost than my team gain" garbage makes you sound like? Kitty Kat and Mizzou fans!!!

I hate Mizzou too, but not nearly as much as I love my 'hawks. If it takes Mizzou winning for KU to get to the best bowl possible, yeah, it sucks, but so be it!

After the season we've had and sitting at 11-1, Fiesta Bowl sounds SO MUCH BETTER than Cotton Bowl!!!

This may just be me, but after watching the 'hawks go 11-1 this year the Cotton Bowl would be a little disappointing, kind of like a slap in the face. I know in my heart that this team deserves a BCS Bowl, and I just don't care that much if it takes Mizzou winning to make that a reality!! If it helps the 'HAWKS, I'm all for it!!

Jayhawk_Jerry 12 years, 6 months ago

No way in hell I'm rooting for MU. I'll stick with Boomer Sooner chants all night Saturday and see how it shakes out from there. Start rooting against West Virginia too while you're at it.

Brad Watson 12 years, 6 months ago

I SMELL ARIZONA OVER ARIZONA STATE...I SMELL TENN OVER LSU...I SMELL OHIO ST-WVU...AND THAT MEANS I SMELL USC-KU IN PASADENA....NOW THATS A REAL CHRISTMAS PRESENT...KU ON NEW YEARS DAY IN PASADENA?....THATS COOL!!

babyjayhawkfan 12 years, 6 months ago

I am going to add a point about a potential KU/OU match-up I heard on a radio show yesterday. The reason why KU could still be a strong contender for the Fiesta bowl, assuming MU loses, is not just because of the season we have had, but the $ 2 out of state teams could bring in instead of picking an in state team (ASU)...and we all know how important $ is:) I am from OK and there is nothing I would enjoy more than a shot at taking down the Sooners!

vmwskywalk 12 years, 6 months ago

Here is a thought: (realistic I don't know)... OU beats MU WVU loses this weekend Georgia beats OSU in the NC KU plays OU and wins big in the Fiesta

Could there be a split national championship?

100 12 years, 6 months ago

Whoever we play, we might think about playing some defense in the first 3 quarters. I didn't know how many key defenders we had injured during the Mizzou game -- to take nothing away from Mizzou's great offense -- no wonder we looked shell-shocked.

troutsee 12 years, 6 months ago

MU needs to beat OU to give us the best shot at going to a BCS bowl. I hate to root for them but probably will and that would be the first time ever.

actorman 12 years, 6 months ago

"Now I despise MU, but tell me how fair it is for them to beat us on a neutral field, lose a next game on a neutral field and get shut out of the BCS picture."

It would be INCREDIBLY unfair. And that's exactly why I would LOVE it to happen, for two reasons: (1) It would be sweet to see Mizzou get screwed out of something they supposedly deserved, and (2) the more that unfair things happen and people are pissed off about it, the more likely it is that at SOME point, SOME time, we'll finally have a legitimate playoff system.

"I SMELL ARIZONA OVER ARIZONA STATE...I SMELL TENN OVER LSU...I SMELL OHIO ST-WVU..."

I SMELL SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHEN TO TURN OFF THEIR CAP LOCK ...

"The reason why KU could still be a strong contender for the Fiesta bowl, assuming MU loses, is not just because of the season we have had, but the $ 2 out of state teams could bring in instead of picking an in state team (ASU).."

I don't buy that, and that's one thing that worries me. I think the Fiesta Bowl would much rather have ASU because it would guarantee a sell-out, whereas with OU and KU I'm not sure the game would be sold out. I also think the ratings would be better for ASU because you would have people from other parts of the country more interested than if it's an all-Big XII matchup.

"Could there be a split national championship?" "That's what the BCS eliminated."

No, actually the BCS didn't eliminate it. There could still be a split championship if the AP votes differently.

As for whether to root for Mizzou, there was only one scenario where I would have rooted for them, and that was if KU needed them to win in order to jump over Oregon and play for a national championship. That was before we played Mizzou so it didn't matter if they won. On the other hand, in this case a Mizzou win would mean THEY would have a shot at the national championship. There is no way in hell that I would EVER want to see them have a shot at a title. Go OU, Boomer Sooner them all the way back to Columbia!

nycjayhawk 12 years, 6 months ago

ESPN has OU winning, Missouri in the Cotton and KU either in the Orange or the Holiday. This is why we need MU to win, folks, to be relatively assured of the Fiesta. We don't want the chance that we get snubbed and put in the Holiday. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=bowlprojections13

William James 12 years, 6 months ago

We get 3 million for the cotton bowl. We get 17 million for the Fiesta Bowl. If Mizzou wins that game that is 14 million in our pocket. That is sad if you hate Mizzou more than you love 14 million dollars for KU athletics.

Chicago_JHawk 12 years, 6 months ago

fabio - All bowl revenue is shared amongst all 12 teams in the conference, so that doesn't equal $14M for KU.

Brad Watson 12 years, 6 months ago

ACTORMAN...Why does the caps lock enter into anything...my apologizes...but yes ku could end up in pasadena

babyjayhawkfan 12 years, 6 months ago

Actorman, The $ issue is not just about a sell-out crowd. I would hope ASU could sell out a bowl game in their backyard. It has more to do with the fact it is in their backyard, which means less people needing hotel rooms, eating out, etc. and therefore less money for the overall economy. I am not sure how familiar you are with OU fans but they travel WELL. I would hope if we had a chance to be there with them our fans would show up too! As far as what would bring better ratings, I think a match up with KU and OU definitely would grab National attention. Despite the majority of the Nation's anti-Big 12 attitude, we still have 3 teams in the top 10 and if a KU/OU game is the pick for the Fiesta, I doubt the majority of true football fans will boycott the game, especially since all season they have said we played the "weak" teams of the Big 12 (except MU and look what happened) and didn't have to play OU, TX, and Tech. Either way, I refuse to cheer for MU this weekend and it is a toss up of who I despise more between the two. My Dad has always said that OU is one team that can stir around in S#%T and still come out smelling like roses, (2 losses to unranked opponents and still in top 10 and South champs?) so if they win this weekend, it will still hold true but they have my vote:)

Kenny George 12 years, 6 months ago

nycjayhawk

If OU is in the Fiesta and Missouri in the Cotton, then KU would have to be in a BCS bowl.

Either KU or MU will be in the BCS if OU wins. It will not be MU due to the selection procedure this year.

ASU is not attractive and may not end up in the top 14 teams to be eligible. They are currently 13th.

I think if everyone reads Mr. Palm's article we logically will play in the Fiesta bowl.

The Rose Bowl will not have an at large team this year. Ohio State and Pac 10 champ. The Orange Bowl will take ACC champ (mandated) plus at large (Georgia, logical choice #4 and boarders Florida). Georgia does not play this weekend and will not slip.

Fiesta, if OU wins will have to take OU (mandated) and an at large. It will not be MU due to the fact they have played OU twice already. That leaves Hawaii and KU realistically and Fiesta will take KU over Hawaii and leave Hawaii for the Sugar Bowl. Arizona St. and Illinois (not currently eligible) are fringe candidates.

Hawaii is boarderline currently at 12th and has to be there or higher to qualify.

The Fiesta Bowl for KU is a done deal!!

Brad Watson 12 years, 6 months ago

When we end up in pasadena..remember it was caps lock guy who predicted it.

Chicago_JHawk 12 years, 6 months ago

If OU wins, then Illinois probably winds up in the Rose as OSU goes to the Championship. The Rose usually prefers a Big 10 team, and while Illinois currently sits 15th, but with enough teams ahead of them playing each other, they figure to move up a few spots.

Brad Watson 12 years, 6 months ago

the rose will not take a 3 loss team...no matter how much the chicago folks wish they would...the illinois argument was hatched by wishful thinking illinois media types..its all bologna..if it comes down to ku or ill...ku will be chosen...period

Brad Watson 12 years, 6 months ago

ill-fla is slated for orlandos' citrus classic ku is going to pasadena

Chicago_JHawk 12 years, 6 months ago

Don't confuse me with an Illinois fan, wats - I despise them almost as much as Missouri. I'm just considering how much the Rose likes having their Pac 10-Big 10 matchups...

In addition, I don't think we're looked at as a very attractive team nationally. We have no record of travelling well to bowl games, and we're looked at as having an inflated record by playing weak teams and being in a "weak" conference. Illinois beat 2 top-5 teams this season, which will be looked at favorably.

Kevin Long 12 years, 6 months ago

Don't worry wats211. Actorman knows a lot more about writng than he does football.

Kenny George 12 years, 6 months ago

Can anyone explain how Georgia with two losses (South Carolina and Tennessee) is number four in the BCS?

They are not even playing for their conference championship and are the highest ranked team in the SEC.

I just don't get it!!!!

Rick Arnoldy 12 years, 6 months ago

Can we root for MU over OU (to get us a BCS), then a NC for MU followed by probation and forfeiture due to massive recruiting violations?

Brad Watson 12 years, 6 months ago

2 top five teams?.......i like illinois....ohio st is 1..but the other is not in sight..it matters what they are now ranked..not when you played them........illinois is slated for orlando....ku is going to pasadena if ou wins..i like zook and the juice..but 3 losses is too many for roses

nycjayhawk 12 years, 6 months ago

I agree with Chicago. At this point nationally KU is not looked at as a strong team. People think we are like Boise State or Hawaii or a team like Northwestern or Indiana that sometimes will have a decent year. We are not a national power or a brand name. That is why, if OU beats MU, the power bowls will make every effort not to select KU. That is why we hold our noses and pull for MU, because that way the Fiesta will pick us given the Big 12 ties and 1 loss KU is better than 3 loss OU. I also wish for the Rose, but there is no way the Rose selects us over Illinois or any other BCS qualified team available to the Rose. I wish it were different.

seattlehawk_78 12 years, 6 months ago

I'm with you tex. I don't want to be number 2 behind Missouri (I think there's a bad pun there). Just being in the top 10 is respect enough.

Also, I'd rather play someone other than Oklahoma. Even though they are a good team historically I think we need to go out of conference to earn some respect.

Yes an MU win might be good for KU in the short term but in the long haul it would be bad for us. This year is just a battle, think in terms of the overall war. We sacrifice something this year but over the long term it will be better if our chief rival doesn't win. They will benefit far more than us and that can't be good for KU.

scootja32 12 years, 6 months ago

I find it funny that Georgia is ranked #4 while #7 LSU and #14 Tennessee play for the SEC championship

Brad Watson 12 years, 6 months ago

I THINK WE REALLY IMPRESSED SOME BOWL REPS...THEY SEE US AS NEW POTENTIAL POWER...AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT LEW PERKINS TRAVELS IN THE CORRECT CIRCLES FOR THE ROSE TO BE A REALITY..SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS

rockchalkAZ 12 years, 6 months ago

simple as this...if missouri wins this weekend, we get a fiesta bowl bid. what's even better about that is, I'll be back in AZ for the holidays and will get to go to the game!!!

CaramelMacchMan 12 years, 6 months ago

Is there any way KU can play in National Championship game????

What if Mizzou goes down and WVU goes down and Georgia goes down

Why can't KU play NC instead of OSU(11-1) with unraked Illi lose..??

rockchalkAZ 12 years, 6 months ago

that's optimism if i've ever seen it. but frankly, no, there's no way

seattlehawk_78 12 years, 6 months ago

Georgia along with Ohio State are in the clubhouse and would play for the national title if Missouri and West Virginia fall this week.

Although conceivable, KU could get a share of the NC if Missouri and West Virginia lose next week and 2 loss Georgia beat Ohio State and KU demolishes their bowl opponent. Keep in mind the AP is a sportswriter's poll and does not necessarily correspond with the BCS poll. Even if all that happened they would likely give a share to someone else.

That scenario, as unlikley as it is would be the mother of all wishful thinking and likley would still not be enough to get a share.

Bottom line, don't bet on it.

jayhawkintx73 12 years, 6 months ago

if OU beats Mizzou, Mizzou is out of the BCS Title game, and with 2 losses, out of the BCS at large. Kansas will get the Orange Bowl. If thinks work the way they should. You can say all you want. Mizzou lost to OU once and is ahead of OU in the BCS. If OU beats em, which I think they will again, OU will knock Mizzou out of the BCS at large bid. I think Kansas is a lock, being their only loss is to the current number 1.

Brad Watson 12 years, 6 months ago

I smell roses.....it smells good...go ou and we will all enjoy the scent..not to mention attending the rose parade...my usc cheerleaders and an opportunity to play the quote"hottest team in america....a win over usc on new years day would elevate our program to a much loftier place than a fiesta bowl ever would.....I know lew perkins and thats where his lobbying interest is.....when we end up in pasadena...you heard it here first..but remember it all depends on ou..they have to win!

seattlehawk_78 12 years, 6 months ago

Wats,

I'd love to play in the Rose Bowl but one of the reasons USC has won so many of them is because it is the equivalent of a home game. Your right, if we could beat USC it would elevate this program tremendously.

I am more concerned about who we play than where we play. A win over a good program could really put us on the map. We still have critics who are convinced we can't win outside of the Big 12.

Chicago_JHawk 12 years, 6 months ago

seattle - I'M not convinced we can win outside the Big 12...

bennettcl 12 years, 6 months ago

There is no sharing of National champs anymore. The winner of the BCS National Championship game is the champ and thats it.

ku_bringback_danny 12 years, 6 months ago

I hate Mizzou but, I hope they blow out Oklahoma because that just makes us look even better. I want to play Georgia or the winner of the SEC cause I am tired of hearing how great they are and week the Big 12 is. That would really shut up those east coast lovers of ESPN boys. Mizzou over West VA Kansas over SEC FOE??? Oklahoma kills SEC in Cotton Bowl Texas over Pac 10 in Holiday Nebraska vs K-State in Toliet Bowl Go Hawks

wahoo 12 years, 6 months ago

You people rooting for MU are out of your mind. You never want your RIVAL to be victorious. That gives them bragging rights and helps their recruiting. If you think they have athletes now, what do you think they'll have after a Big XII Championship and a NC showing?

We one loss to the BCS #4 team. They will have 2 losses to a team ranked probably no higher than BCS #7. If you were a bowl rep, who would you pick? The whole nation saw the fight and toughness this team has. It took 'til late in the game for them to show it but it eventually came. Don't let the media or doubters convince that the Jayhawks might get overlooked.

Boomer Sooner, MUCK FIZZOU!!!!

They hate us, hate them!!!

Doug Fisher 12 years, 6 months ago

Yeah screw Mizzou and their worthless fans. I'll never root for them EVEN if it supposedly benefits us going to a BCS game. You might as well be a Mizzou fan.

actorman 12 years, 6 months ago

Wats, sorry for giving you a hard time but the cap key is generally used to emphasize something or to yell at someone. (For example, it makes sense that scootja used it to yell at all the people who would actually root for Mizzou.) For me personally, it's also a little hard on the eyes to read something that's completely in caps.

Babyjayhawk, you make some good points about the economy and ratings. But I'm not sure how much bowl reps care about the overall community vs. just the game itself. It does seem like quite often a bowl picks a "home" team, so if you were right about the bowl reps wanting to bring money into the community, it doesn't seem like that would happen as often.

Klong, why the cheap shot about my supposed lack of football knowledge? Just giving me the same type of hard time I gave to wats?

Bennettcl, I don't agree that there's no sharing of national championships any more. Maybe according to the "official" NCAA recognition, only the BCS counts, but I can guarantee you that any team that is voted number 1 by the AP will claim to be a national champion, so to me that means it's still a split.

I hope you're right about the Rose Bowl, wats. I'd be happy with either the Rose or Fiesta, as I would likely to go to either of them. I wouldn't go if it's the Sugar or Orange, because it would cost way too much and I'd have to go much farther for it. And I'd love to play either USC or OU, because I think KU could be very competitive with either one of them.

Chicago_JHawk 12 years, 6 months ago

I think they were curious whether we were worthy or not - we were an undefeated team, and there was a good chance we were going to automatically qualify anyway. Our showing against Missouri for 2 1/2 quarters on Saturday probably swayed many of them against us. We were overmatched in every facet.

Yes, we are an entertaining football team, but playing poor non-conference teams and the dregs of the Big 12 isn't a good measuring stick.

Patrick Bryant 12 years, 6 months ago

Does anyone know why Sharp did not see much action against Mizzou?

nycjayhawk 12 years, 6 months ago

Missouri got up by 21 and is good against the run anyway. Basically had to air it out.

nycjayhawk 12 years, 6 months ago

There have been some questions/concerns about our defensive effort posted on this site, poor tackling, playing off the wide outs, etc. While I agree that in places we did not tackle well vs. Missouri, I think our defense did a great job in light of how good the Missouri offense is, with numerous weapons. We had injuries in the secondary and still held them to 34 points (I don't count the safety at the end). No team held Missouri to fewer points this year, except Oklahoma (31). As I have written in another posting, the game was lost with the two missed kicks and the two picks.

oregonjhawk 12 years, 6 months ago

Root for Mizzou??? Inconceivable.......

OU 48 MU 3