Collins tops Aldrich for No. 1 in Keegans

1. Sherron Collins: Gutsy drive to the hoop sealed it and completed his day back from leg cramps and a twisted ankle. Great clutch player did it again.

2. Cole Aldrich: Played 39 minutes, the last several with four fouls, and ruled the paint. His 18 points, 11 rebounds and three blocked shots came during a most aggressive performance.

3. Brady Morningstar: Played strong defense on Denis Clemente, had three steals, two assists and one turnover in 39 minutes. He attempted just five shots from the field and scored 14 points.

4. Marcus Morris: Established himself inside early and totaled 13 points and 10 rebounds before fouling out after playing 31 minutes.

5. Tyshawn Taylor: Horrible turnover prevented KU from clinching the game in regulation, but did a lot of things that contributed to the victory, not the least being hitting 8 of 9 free throws.

6. Markieff Morris: Misfired on all four free throws and went scoreless in 21 minutes, but did contribute six rebounds, two assists and a blocked shot without committing any turnovers.

7. Xavier Henry: Finesse player who turns the ball over too much played just 16 minutes because his style didn’t fit this game. For the most part, he wasn’t missed. He did hit two big shots late.

8. Tyrel Reed: Reached in to break up what could have been the winning bucket at the end of regulation. Had two points and an assist and did not turn it over in 10 minutes.

9. Thomas Robinson: Played less than a minute.

10. Jeff Withey: Checked in, threw a pass away, checked back out.

The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings
1. Sherron Collins (168 points)
2. Cole Aldrich (157 points)
3. Marcus Morris (141 points)
4. Xavier Henry (128 points)
5. Tyshawn Taylor (112 points)
6. Markieff Morris (95 points)
7. Tyrel Reed (80 points)
8. Thomas Robinson (67 points)
9. Brady Morningstar (60 points)
10. Elijah Johnson (56 points)
11. C.J. Henry (21 points)
12. Jeff Withey (10 points)

The Keegan Ratings: Big 12 Standings
1. Marcus Morris (44 points)
2. Sherron Collins (43 points)
3. Cole Aldrich (40 points)
4. Brady Morningstar (34 points)
5. Tyshawn Taylor (25 points)
6. Xavier Henry (24 points)
7. Tyrel Reed (21 points)
8. Markieff Morris (19 points)
9. Thomas Robinson (11 points)
10. Jeff WIthey (9 points)
11. Elijah Johnson (6 points)
Notes: C.J. Henry, though he is a walk-on, will be included in the Keegan Ratings.

Comments

JayhawkRock 12 years, 5 months ago

The refs took Marcus out of the game from the beginning. That first offensive foul on Marcus Morris that should have been a foul on KSUck was ridiculous. I think those refs liked hearing the crowd cheer. I thought Cole was really good tonight. Really liked how he played. He missed some that he shouldnt have but he is playing way better than he did 3 weeks ago. And Sherron was incredible. One of the best KSU vs. KU games I have ever seen. Sherron was hurting the entire game and he came back and made that great play at the end. Is he tough or what?

murph 12 years, 5 months ago

I'm in shock. Keegan actually, finally noticed how valuable Brady Morningstar really is! You've shortchanged him in these ratings for several games now. It's good to see that you gave him the respect he earned tonight.

pburgstu 12 years, 5 months ago

Alec White 12 years, 5 months ago

First of all, great game! In my somewhat brief history of being a Jayhawks fan, only a few games have been more memorable than that classic battle (Texas games 06-08, Davidson in the 08' tourney, 08' title game, etc). I'm a little biased for the Davidson game because I was there with my dad and I remember my knees giving out just like Self's did as their little point guard heaved their last desperation bomb. I recall looking directly at Self after it bounced of the glass wide left and he had the same look of relief as he did after this game.

Anyways, I want to comment on something and hope that a lot of people read this since it is one of the first few posts. Tyshawn did not play poorly at all, in fact he was a big reason we won this game. I can't tell you how many negative posts I read during last night's game about how Tyshawn cost us the game and how he isn't worthy to wear a Kansas uniform. I can't stand to hear fans repeatedly blast a player who shows up every day as a student athlete and works his tail off to be the best he can (which is pretty damn good if you ask me). Yes, he can get emotional at times and say some questionable things, but isn't that why we should love him? He clearly cares about this team and is giving up a lot to make this team better.

Can someone tell me when Tyshawn played terrible last night? And don't give me any crap about his pass to Brady that was stolen at the end. I'm not putting blame on Brady either, it was just a misread by both players. I blame Self for using the dribble weave when all we need to do is hold the ball at half-court. His offensive foul was a questionable call and every one of our players is completely lost when the shot clock is running out and Sherron is out of the game. So you people who look at the glass half-empty can hate on Tyshawn all you want....however, as a Kansas Jayhawk and Tyshawn Taylor fan, I'm going to cherish his clutch free-throws and solid play in OT that helped us escape with a W.

Drew Alan 12 years, 5 months ago

Top grade goes to Brady in my book, but we had more than enough guys play solid basketball. K-State is a great team, and they'll be just as tough at Allen on March 3rd. Play of the game is Tyrel's strip at the end of regulation. If he doesn't do that, lay-up good, if he commits a foul, one of two free throws would have sealed a win for K-State.

stravinsky 12 years, 5 months ago

Wait, you are blaming Tyshawn for Brady completely misunderstanding how you run a weave and ending up giving KSU the ball back at the end of regulation? That play was Brady's mistake.

waywardJay 12 years, 5 months ago

I disagree often with you Keegan. tonight, you got it right.

You got it right, though you should check the replay.... Sherron was Self personified on the court the whoel second half..... every step of the way pushing his teammates on.... Oustanding Point guard play, and then the finish. Cole made the "underrated" play of the game, Brady put them away but Sherron Broke their back.

eastcoasthawk 12 years, 5 months ago

Will have to disagree. I thought Cole should have been number 1. If it had been Cole instead of Marcus fouling out we don't win the game. His presence in the paint was huge, even with 4 fouls. We should have won in regulation except our guards couldn't maintain possession.

Kye Clark 12 years, 5 months ago

stravinsky - I completely agree with you. Not taking anything away from Brady's game (and I think sitting there at #3 on these ratings is where he belongs) but that was completely on Brady towards the end of regulation. Also dribbled out the shot clock in the first half and failed to get the ball in-bounds, resulting in a 5 second call. Again, I thought he played a great game all-in-all - he played stellar defense, made some big shots, fed the post beautifully - but you have to acknowledge his 3 mental lapses. Some people think he is beyond reproach, and never see any mistakes or flaws in his game. The Brady Brigade

Scott Smetana 12 years, 5 months ago

Great Team win. Everyone played great, except for Xavier. "the game didn't fit his style"... just curious, what is his style of game?

Play of the game for me wasn't Collins last drive, but Brady's 3 with a minute or so left.

JayHawk25... I was in Detroit for the Davidson game too. That place was sooo quiet on that last shot. Scary stuff.

slowplay 12 years, 5 months ago

Not to be picky, but Aldrich played 37 min. not 39. Collins 41, Morningstar 39. I agree that the big play was Brady's 3. That won the game. Collins shot was big, but Aldrich's tap out on the free throw sealed the game. 1. Aldrich 2. Morningstar 3. Collins 4. Morris.

LAJayhawk 12 years, 5 months ago

PikesPeakSmitty,

I believe -- since he mentioned it in his sum up -- that Keegan is calling X's game a "finesse" style of play, and he didn't fit in a very physical, boxing match of a basketball game. NBA examples: Kobe is a great example of a finesse player, while LeBron definitely has a physical style to his game. X is definitely much more of a finesse player than a physical one (although he certainly has improvement to make in the finesse game), but I do think it is very important for him to become a more physical basketball player if he really wants to become a top level talent (on top of his other necessary improvements). Again, as examples, Kobe, while finesse, definitely can play very physical, and LeBron has been slowly improving his finesse. X needs to be able to fit into this -- the tough, knock-down drag out -- style of game if he wants to succeed at the next level.

Carl O'Hair 12 years, 5 months ago

Rock_Chalk_25, I have to agree with you about the play of Tyshawn. His free throwing was a bit shaky as the game wore on but his 6 of 6 before his first miss was not shaky. After that miss he used a lot of rim on the remainder but he did get them to go in. Also, all those fouls were on dribble drives which he seldom misses on and the only way they stop him is to foul him. The kid made some mistakes but I consider the loss of the ball when Brady backed up just as it was thrown more Brady's fault.

One of the worst calls of the game involved Tyshawn, also. When Pullen stepped in on him and they called it a charge I told my son that that call was one where the ref thought about at least 15,000 people in that place that would have wanted his life if he called it as it appeared. Of course, they called a charge on Pullen in the first half when Markieff lost his balance and hit Pullen very hard. Maybe that call on Tyshawn was one of those get evens.

At any rate Tyshawn did seem to panick a bit when Sherron was out and things a bit hairy but who wouldn't have reacted the same way other than Sherron?

How tough is Sherron? The way he reached out and snagged the ball after he fell on his back, obviously in great pain at the time, and forced the tie up that got the Hawks the ball back so near the mid-court line told me just how tough he really is.

Greg Lux 12 years, 5 months ago

National Game of the Week .. Great arena... Two great programs and teams .. and what do we get .. the worst officiating in the nation on national TV. If you watch Big East, ACC, Big Ten games you don't see this horrible game-stopping officiating. After watching the reply of the game today all I can say is shame shame shame to three officials who didn't care enough about the game to allow the players to play and who made so many bad call against both teams it was unbelievable on National TV. Time the 5 second call and its 4 seconds max, you can watch the refs arm and see he started the count before Morningstar got possession of the ball, and he started the count at 1 immediately not 0. MM brothers got the shaft big time for playing good basketball. I could go on and on but the point is we need quality officials making the game better not finding ways to stop play every few seconds, making real not phantom foul calls. Until the Big 12 stops this it will continue to show the Big 12 as a weaker conference then others with better refs.

Greg Lux 12 years, 5 months ago

Also .. I put Morningstar on top for all his clutch plays last night .. without a doubt he was key to our win. He made the winning free-throws and he made the tip that keep the ball in our hands in the OT. He was my KU player of the game. Not shorting anyone else, but he wins the honor for this game.... Rock Chalk

Kelly Hanrahan 12 years, 5 months ago

How about props to the coaching staff for reminding everyone we had no time outs left - or SC might have been the goat for calling a TO at mid-court instead of getting a jump ball. The usual reaction nowadays seems to be the player trying to call a TO when faced with such a situation. BTW why didn't the refs stop play when Morris went down after a made basket? It happened fast, but they should have stopped play instead of forcing Taylor to commit a foul to get play stopped. Neither team had an advantage when the player went down - the advantage went to KSU because the refs didn't notice it immediately - so they should have stopped play when they did realize it.

Dirk Medema 12 years, 5 months ago

"The Weave" is not run at the midcourt line - it's run at the 3 pt line, which is why Brady couldn't continue around the top of TT. It was a misread between the 2 players. Unfortunately, there were 2 other plays within 2 minutes after that which also involved TT and TO's. I believe that is when an 8 pt KU lead was brought back to nothing.

That being said, there is nothing shaky about 8-9 FT's.

slowplay 12 years, 5 months ago

The standings do not take into account how many games each has played. TRob got his points when Brady was suspended.

actorman 12 years, 5 months ago

"Sherron Collins :Gutsy drive to the hoop sealed it " Have to disagree he had a chance and blew it he scored points 78 and 79 Morningstar sealed it with his free throws points 80 and 81. No free throws the game is tied 79-79 (All other things being equal)"

You're kidding, right??? You can't possibly be that stupid. Do you honestly believe that KSU would have had the exact same 3-pointer at the buzzer if they were down by 3 instead of 5????? Yeah, I know you qualified it with your "All other things being equal" comment, but that's the whole point: all other things WOULDN'T have been equal. (Of course if you were just making a joke and I missed the point, I apologize.)

actorman 12 years, 5 months ago

BTW, I had "wouldn't" capitalized, but the LJS, in its infinite, completely random wisdom, chose to de-capitalize that particular word.

kusayzone 12 years, 5 months ago

This poll only does one thing....single out individual efforts rather than the team efforts. To constantly say that Sherron works harder than the rest of the team is just plain stupid. Put him out there on the court by himself and see what happens. I dont know why someone would want to pit teammates against themselves to say, I was better than you because .......I am a scorer and you play great defense. Brady should top the list, Marcus should top the list, Cole should top the list, TT should top the list....but like so many lists, you can only have one top dog, and that can not be good when it comes to team chemistry!

KGphoto 12 years, 5 months ago

X has no style. To have a style you have to know what the hell you are doing when you are running the offense. So far, in Big 12 play, his style is to wait around the arc and throw up hideous air balls. Occasionally he'll throw in a runner. Certainly he hasn't done anything with enough frequency to merit a style tag. At least not on the college level.

Besides, you can tag anybody, but usually players at this level have many facets to there game. Using both finesse and physicality.

Aldrich will bang and fight and block and slam. Then the next time down he might take a nice little hook shot or step out and sink a jumper.

Sherron's appearance draws comparisons with physical items like bowling balls and trains, but most of his drives require incredible finesse. Weaving in and through several defenders, often untouched.

X needs to develop both sides. If anybody should be multi-faceted, it's the biggest, most athletic 6'6" man on the court any given night.

KGphoto 12 years, 5 months ago

kusayzone: If you had to start a team picking from the players on the current roster, who would you pick? That's the point of these ratings. It's just fun.

Are you saying you would pick Brady over Sherron?

Lacy Mohler 12 years, 5 months ago

Cole picked as Big Twelve player of the week. Someone has some basketball sense.

We were up by a point with less than 15 seconds to go when Collins hit the layup. He didn't win the game. It wasn't a Mario Chalmers situation. Then he missed the free throw--much like he did against Michigan State--and Cole rebounded. Collins played a good solid game, but the clutch players were the ones who kept us in during the first half and the one's who played the entire overtime--not just the last 30 sec. The funny thing was after watching the game a second time---I don't think Judge even fouled Collins. What crappy refs! Maybe that call was a payback for that awful charging foul on Taylor. I go with Cole, Marcus, Brady and TT ahead of Collins in this game.

The other odd thing was when Collins was on the floor at the end of regulation, Danny had to walk out and help him up. Then when Collins had to limp out early in the overtime the other players on the court just ignored him. Maybe the team was really focused on the game, but it just seemed strange. Maybe much ado about nothing, but don't players usually give each other a hand up?

kusayzone 12 years, 5 months ago

SC can do this and SC can do that....I think if I were his teammate I will just watch him as the seconds run off the clock, even if I am playing on the floor! The National Championship TEAM had a different hero every night! Who would I take SC or BM? No question to answer there....I need both because I need a team of five! HCBS has always talked about the way his team matches up with other teams. You have to be big sometimes, quick sometimes, and sometimes a mix in between. But like HCBS, I would always start with defense and even though SC is an offensive force, his defense is average at best. Too often he gets tied up in picks and is late defending the 3 point shot with opposing guards are usually taller. Final word---I would choose BM! SC has his agenda!