Aldrich surges to top of rankings for 2nd straight game

1. Cole Aldrich: Dominated the inside against the shorter Tigers. Was on pace for a triple-double at the half and finished with 12 points, 16 rebounds and seven blocked shots. Missouri players avoided the paint because they knew Aldrich lurked.

2. Tyrel Reed: Has played 61 career minutes against Missouri and has just one turnover and is shooting 60 percent from long range against them, 88 percent in Allen Fieldhouse. Scored 14 points in 19 minutes and made all four three-point attempts.

3. Marcus Morris: Fifth consecutive big game for Morris, but he again had the yips close in, this time as close in as is possible, missing two dunks. Still produced 17 points and nine rebounds.

4. Markieff Morris: Produced nine points and 11 rebounds in 19 minutes.

5. Xavier Henry: Did a lot of great things to get team off to quick start. Finished with too many turnovers (five) and shot still doesn’t look quite right, but he did make 3 of 7 three-pointers and had two steals.

6. Brady Morningstar: Started the game great, aggressively going to the hoop and making slick passes to the interior. Took a bad shot or two and needs to do a better job of avoiding traps.

7. Sherron Collins: Not his night, but the team didn’t need it to be his night. Made 2 of 11 shots.

8. Tyshawn Taylor: Played aggressively but out of control at times. Had seven points and four turnovers in 13 minutes.

9. Thomas Robinson: Had two rebounds in five minutes and went 0 for 2 from the line.

10. Jeff Withey: Made 1 of 2 free throws.

11. Elijah Johnson: Played one minute and had a nice dish to Withey.

The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings
1. Sherron Collins (162 points)
2. Cole Aldrich (158 points)
3. Marcus Morris (142 points)
4. Xavier Henry (130 points)
5. Tyshawn Taylor (109 points)
6. Markieff Morris (97 points)
7. Tyrel Reed (86 points)
8. Thomas Robinson (67 points)
9. Brady Morningstar (57 points)
10. Elijah Johnson (56 points)
11. C.J. Henry (21 points)
12. Jeff Withey (10 points)

The Keegan Ratings: Big 12 Standings
1. Marcus Morris (45 points)
2. Cole Aldrich (41 points)
3. Sherron Collins (37 points)
4. Brady Morningstar (31 points)
5. Tyrel Reed (27 points)
6. Xavier Henry (26 points)
7. Tyshawn Taylor (22 points)
8. Markieff Morris (21 points)
9. Thomas Robinson (11 points)
10. Jeff WIthey (9 points)
11. Elijah Johnson (6 points)

Notes: C.J. Henry, though he is a walk-on, will be included in the Keegan Ratings.

Comments

Lacy Mohler 12 years, 3 months ago

If Cole places first after Saturday's game does he get declared best player in college basketball or does Collins keep the title? Great win and great team effort.

LAJayhawk 12 years, 3 months ago

Reed was on fire and played a very good game, but two of those 4 threes came when we were up 20. Marcus was a HUGE reason we busted out to the big lead the first half. He was aggressive and really is turning into a big-time star of a basketball player. I would put Marcus at 2 and Tyrel at 3 (also, I think the point of these rankings is how they played in this game, not how they've done against certain opponents career-wise -- while very, very interesting, those stats of Reed's aren't relevant to these rankings).

We were an excellent basketball team last night. Very aggressive.

Scott Smetana 12 years, 3 months ago

I think I'd put Brady up a bit higher after the way he shredded the press in the first half while the game was 'close'.
I think the twins are a huge key to this team's success. Go Markus and Keiff!

Marcia Parsons 12 years, 3 months ago

I don't unerstand how anyone who watched the game could put Tyshawn that far above Brady. Wow.

Tom Keegan 12 years, 3 months ago

Oldalum, Please re-read. Brady is rated higher than Tyshawn.

Austin Gray 12 years, 3 months ago

I know this is going to sound blasphemous, and I promise you that I'm not just trying to stir the pot, but there seems to be a sense that if Collins had been "on" that we would have won by significantly more. I really don't think this is the case. In fact, I find that when he's not lighting up the scoreboard, the team is doing better. Hear me out... Since 2010 began, he's "gone off" against Baylor (28 pts on 16 shots), Nebraska (22 pts on 11 shots), Tennessee (22 pts on 20 shots), and Cornell (33 pts on 16 shots). All of those games were much, much closer than they should have been. The Nebraska game doesn't look so bad, but he hit his last field goal with 12 minutes to go, and we were nursing a 3 point lead. He got four points the rest of the way, all on free throws. When the scoring burden was placed on other players, we were able to extend a 3 point lead to a 12 point lead. On the other hand, take a look at last night's game, the Iowa State game, the Texas Tech game, and the Temple game - all games in which KU won quite comfortably. In those games, he's averaging 10 points and 10 shots. Given that in last night's game there was a stretch in the 2nd half in which he didn't pass and forced shots about about 5 of 6 possessions, I'd make the argument that we would have won by more if he'd stopped shooting altogether.

milehighhawk 12 years, 3 months ago

I think Brady played A LOT better than this...

justanotherfan 12 years, 3 months ago

If the Keegan ratings only took the 1st half into account, then Brady would probably be a lot higher. He played an excellent first half. He leveled off in the second half, though.

Overall, he had a very strong game. Among the guards, he was probably only outplayed by Tyrel. X had a strong game from the wing, and has started finding ways to contribute without scoring, so I don't have an issue with him being above Brady. And clearly, you would have to rate the Twins and Cole above Brady, because that's who really keyed the win for us. Had Marcus not missed those two dunks, you could argue he would have been our best player last night. Markieff was incredibly efficient. He played just 19 minutes, but almost had a double double anyway. And Cole was the Cole we were missing early in the year for the second straight game.

Brett Arnberger 12 years, 3 months ago

HeyDingis - You have to keep in mind that in those close games, alot of the rest of the team was not playing well and Sherron HAD to take over those games in order for us to win. Obviously games are going to have a wider margin of victory when you have 5, 6, 7 plus guys playing good basketball compared to when you have 1 or 2 show up to play. Just happens in those close games Sherron was one of the only guys who showed up.

Thoughts??

hawk_of_ages 12 years, 3 months ago

Yes, Brady should have been 2nd or 3rd -- maybe behind Marcus, but above Reed. He was our second-best player in the decisive moments of the game -- late second-half. When he nailed that buzzer-beating trey to put us up 50-30, the game was essentially over.

As for Collins, he did force up way too many shots in this game; but at the same time it's ridiculous to suggest that his brilliant performances against Cornell and Baylor somehow hurt us in those games.

Lacy Mohler 12 years, 3 months ago

Since conference season started some of the team's best runs have been with Collins on the bench. Maybe with Collins in the game the offense revolves around him and with him out the team is more comfortable to play. Sherron doesn't feed the post as well as some of the other players. He is a bit of a dribble, dribble, shoot kind of guy.

Last night was the first time I remember seeing the other players step up and take the game over with Collins in and not playing well, It looked good and hopefully will stay with them even in the games when Collins is playing well. Then we have a final four team.

Austin Gray 12 years, 3 months ago

I suppose my contention is that there are too many possessions in which the offense is never run and no effort is made to get the ball into anyone else's hands. Collins dribbles up, calls his own number, and we all hold our breaths. I think the team is best served by him using his reputation as a scoring threat and then looking for the open man instead of forcing shots. Don't get me wrong, at the end of the game, I want the ball in his hands. When we're lagging, he can always be relied upon to provide a spark and get to the rack. But he was better when that was his role and he wasn't expected to be the first scoring option. I think he's a better floor general that super-star.

Ben Kane 12 years, 3 months ago

i'm no expert, and i haven't consulted the stats but it seems to me that we were running a lot last night and getting a bunch of buckets in transition. If i recall we had virtually no steals so there is only one reason for it. Cole was a God on the defensive boards (specially first half) and got the ball out so quickly that our guards could run. yes, some of the transition was from breaking a press also, but I believe we did so well not because anyone was or wasn't shooting well but Cole being able to trigger a break every time he breathed.

Things I've learned lately: 1. I hope we play syracuse in the final 4 because from what i've seen we will murder that zone.

1. if you run with us, you die.

2. i still hate mizzou every bit as much with Anderson as their coach.

3. I hate living surrounded by kentucky fans.

4. I miss freestate beer

5. I don't hate kstink anywhere near as much as mizzou because i'm not at all upset by their success this year so long as we beat them down like baby seals every time we play them.

hawk_of_ages 12 years, 3 months ago

Of course I meant to say late first half, not late second, was when Brady made his impact.