Aldrich tops final ratings, season standings
After each KU basketball game this season, this is where you can find out the hardwood equivalent of The Nielsen Ratings from Journal-World sports editor Tom Keegan. He'll rate the Jayhawk scholarship players' individual performances, telling you who was worth tuning in to watch. If you agree or maybe even differ, make sure to comment and tell Tom how you really feel. (Scoring: Each week, the top player in the ratings will be awarded 10 points. Second best gets nine points. Third best gets eight points, and so on and so on. The season standings are at the bottom.)
1. Cole Aldrich: Had 17 points, 14 rebounds, four blocked shots and two steals and was the biggest reason Kansas won the battle of the boards, 37-31. Had trouble covering Goran Suton away from the basket.
2. Sherron Collins: Played poorly in the final minutes defensively, taking care of the ball and missing a free throw, but he and Aldrich kept Kansas in it all the way until then. Made 9 of 13 shots.
3. Tyshawn Taylor: Had eight points and two assists, made all four free throws and turned the ball over three times. Could have been more aggressive offensively.
4. Brady Morningstar: Played well defensively and in the first half turned two steals into jams at the other end, but passed up too many shots in the second half and missed both three-point attempts.
5. Tyrel Reed: Hit just one shot but it was a huge one. His three-pointer from the right corner broke a tie with 4:58 left.
6. Markieff Morris: Took a few bad shots, but battled hard on the boards and made some defensive contributions.
7. Marcus Morris: Didn’t do well enough on the boards to merit more than 14 minutes of playing time.
8. Mario Little: Didn’t defend well enough to play more than seven minutes, which is unfortunate because when others were gun-shy, he likely wouldn’t have been afraid to shoot.
The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings (total points)
1. Cole Aldrich (302 points)
2. Sherron Collins (301 points)
3. Tyshawn Taylor (235 points)
4. Brady Morningstar (207 points)
5. Marcus Morris (193 points)
6. Tyrel Reed (184 points)
7. Markieff Morris (169 points)
8. Travis Releford (113 points)
9. Mario Little (110 points)
10. Quintrell Thomas (64 points)
11. Tyrone Appleton (35 points)
The Keegan Ratings: Conference/Postseason Standings (total points)
1. Cole Aldrich (170 points)
2. Sherron Collins (167 points)
3. Tyshawn Taylor (133 points)
4. Brady Morningstar (117 points)
5. Marcus Morris (113 points)
T6. Mario Little (100 points)
T6. Tyrel Reed (100 points)
8. Markieff Morris (97 points)
9. Travis Releford (56 points)
10. Quintrell Thomas (22 points)
11. Tyrone Appleton (16 points)