Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Wide receivers coach Klint Kubiak leaving KU for the Denver Broncos

Kansas wide receivers coach Klint Kubiak works with Tre Parmalee during practice on Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Another full-time assistant on David Beaty's Kansas University football is leaving the program after just one season in Lawrence.

A source with knowledge of wide receivers coach Klint Kubiak’s plans, told the Journal-World on Tuesday afternoon that Kubiak was leaving to join his dad’s staff with the Denver Broncos. Kubiak later confirmed the move in a phone interview.

"I'll be heading out there pretty quickly," Kubiak, 28, told the Journal-World Tuesday. "And it was not an easy decision because of how much I think of coach Beaty."

A 2009 graduate of Colorado State who came to KU with NFL experience with the Minnesota Vikings as a coach and Washington Redskins as a player, Kubiak coached the KU receivers in 2015 and was slated to share the role with new hire Jason Phillips in 2016. Kubiak was expected to coach KU’s inside receivers and Phillips, who came to KU from SMU, was brought on board to coach the outside receivers.

Where Beaty will go from here with the position likely depends upon what coaches are available and how he wants to fill out the staff in terms of recruiting.

Like recently departed running backs coach Reggie Mitchell, who late last week accepted a job at Arkansas, Kubiak said he believed KU football was on the rise and bound for better days in the near future.

"I'm really going to miss Kansas," Kubiak said. "And I'm kind of jealous that I won't be here for all of the good times that are ahead. I just really appreciate everything David has done for me personally and professionally. I had no intention of leaving. It just kind of came up and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to go be with family. But it definitely wasn't an easy thing to do."

The Broncos announced Tuesday night that Kubiak, who attended Super Bowl 50 and was on the field celebrating with his father after the Broncos' 24-10 victory over Carolina, will fill the offensive assistant job vacated by Brian Callahan, who was hired away by the Detroit Lions earlier this week. Callahan, the son of former Oakland Raiders and Nebraska Cornhuskers coach Bill Callahan, worked with Denver's quarterbacks in 2015.

Kubiak becomes the fourth full-time assistant on Beaty's first staff at KU to leave his position — joining Mitchell, linebackers coach Kevin Kane, who went to Northern Illinois to be the defensive coordinator and former special teams coach Gary Hyman, who was reassigned but is still on staff — and Beaty now will look to fill two full-time spots on his coaching staff with spring practice just a few weeks away.

Comments

Jack Brooks 6 years, 3 months ago

What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here? I can understand the point that it great to have coaches that other people want, but you also want a situation where they'll forego at least a couple of opportunities to stick around long enough to implement a culture of stability.

Andy Tweedy 6 years, 3 months ago

Ha ha! Just awesome...I'm half expecting the news tomorrow to be that Beaty has taken a promotion to be the special teams coach at Eastern Kentucky!

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 3 months ago

Matt, any word on whether Thibodeaux is still a candidate at Oklahoma?

Chuck Woodling 6 years, 3 months ago

What do you expect these departing coaches to say . . . that the future is grim? C'mon. They know KU football is dead in the water until the administration abandons its Nero-like approach to football. It's time to wake up.

Gavin Fritton 6 years, 3 months ago

Nero fiddled while Rome burned, is the point here, I think.

Steve Corder 6 years, 3 months ago

Chuck's right. Decades of neglect and unimaginative leadership has gotten us to this point.

I don't know what the chancellor is planning, but her lack of a "voice" and financial leadership in matters of athletic vision for a first class university appears non existent. Check out her contemporaries at UT or OU or Baylor....pick your high profile school....and compare.

Doug Cramer 6 years, 3 months ago

Makes sense being that we already hired a "2nd WR coach".

Dirk Medema 6 years, 3 months ago

Makes me wonder if Beaty suspected something before being leaked/announced.

Al Martin 6 years, 3 months ago

So Doug, are you keeping the faith here? Between the recruiting class and the coaching turnover, this has been a less inspiring offseason than I was hoping for...

Michael Lorraine 6 years, 3 months ago

I don't get it. We went 0-12 and everyone wants our coaches.

Dirk Medema 6 years, 3 months ago

We also went 0-12 with a 60 man roster of 2 & 3 * recruits. Besides FCS schools, it is probably most like USC or PSU struggling after their probations, tho they were still working with a truck load of 4 & 5 * talent.

Jason Spangler 6 years, 3 months ago

Can't think of a more insignificant position than "wide receivers coach".

Dennis Mahorney 6 years, 3 months ago

Probably the whole fiddling while the coliseum in Rome ( Home of the Detroit Lions) burnt to the ground...

Doug Roberts 6 years, 3 months ago

Eric Kiesau was an excellent wide receivers coach. The boys even caught colds when he was their coach. Any chance he'd come back?

Michael Maris 6 years, 3 months ago

Eric Kiesau is the OC @ Fresno State (now). So, I doubt that he'd leave that job to come back to Lawrence, Kansas to be the Inside WR's Coach.

Micky Baker 6 years, 3 months ago

Still have a WR coach, but Beaty will likely add a second one to the staff. It probably won't happen before Spring Practice starts though.

I have no idea who would be on his list right now.

Head Coach from Scott City just resigned... maybe he's gonna get an assistant job at KU? He had that offense in Scott City running like a well oiled machine. Passing, running, whatever. And those kids aren't the most athletic.

Ron Baker at WSU... he's from Scott City. He was a better footballer than a basketballer in high school too. I can't stand Scott City, they're my high school's arch rival but...

Another thing that occurred to me as an option at WR coach... Kerry Meier. Isaac Byrd would be worth checking out.. but he's been out of the game longer.

I just don't want someone who is going to use KU as a spring board. I want them to make KU a thing that other coaches will want to spring board to. Consistently in the top 25. Not every year, yet, but say 6 out of every ten years to get that solid recognition for more talented recruits every year.

Michael Maris 6 years, 3 months ago

You know, your thought of Kerry Meier coming back to Lawrence, Kansas to be the Inside WR's Coach, I like that idea a lot. However, I don't know if he's finished his desires to fulfill his deceased brother's wishes. So, Kerry may still be heavily involved in that venture. But Mickey, I like your thought on Meier.

Vernon Riggs 6 years, 3 months ago

Garrett Riley WR Coach from East Carolina and brother of OU OC is Kansas-bound.

Jack Hoff 6 years, 3 months ago

Very unfortunate to lose a quality young coach. However, no one in their right mind would give up a chance to coach under their dad on the defending super bowl team. Beaty is also a Wide receiver coach by nature so naturally I don't think there is any reason to worry. He'll get this ship going in the right direction.. GULP...I hope. Rock Chalk.

Bob Bailey 6 years, 3 months ago

Maybe they can see that KU can't /won't play Defense?

There is no hope for KU as long as Defense is a step-child!

Doug Wallace 6 years, 2 months ago

Dont care what team you are on! if you get a chance to join a Superbowl winning team and more money DUH! Why wouldn't you?