Saturday, March 28, 2015

Rabb down to two; KU out

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Ivan Rabb, a 6-foot-10, 220-pound senior power forward from Bishop O’Dowd High in Oakland, California, has narrowed his college choices to California and Arizona and could pick Cal as early as today, several recruiting services have reported.

Rabb, who is ranked No. 8 nationally by Rivals.com, said previously he would visit Kansas University and UCLA before making a decision. Kentucky also was on his original list of schools.

“At the end of the day, I think I can go to a school and play right away,” Rabb told cal.rivals.com in a recent interview. “There’s nothing wrong with competition, but of course at the same time I want to make sure I’m going to a place where I’m going to play right away. It’s more about the school overall, but I definitely care who’s staying and who’s leaving.”

Rabb averages 25.0 points (71 percent shooting, 75 percent from line), 15.0 rebounds and 5.0 blocks a game entering today’s state title contest against Mater Dei. It has been speculated he may announce after that game.

California coach Cuonzo Martin is also battling KU and others for No. 2-ranked Jaylen Brown, a 6-7 senior small forward from Wheeler High in Marietta, Georgia. Brown is also considering Kentucky, North Carolina, Michigan, UCLA, Georgia and Georgia Tech.

Stone commits to Turg: Maryland head coach/former KU guard Mark Turgeon on Friday received a commitment from Diamond Stone, a 6-10, 253-pound senior center from Dominican High in Milwaukee.

Stone, who is ranked No. 6 by Rivals.com, had been said to be leaning toward Wisconsin. He also had UConn and Oklahoma State on his list. He announced his decision on Twitter, bypassing any lavish news-conference setting.

Stone averaged 24.6 points, 11.9 rebounds and 3.0 blocks as a senior.

Recruits back on market: No. 41-ranked Brandon Sampson, a 6-4 senior shooting guard from Madison High in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, has reopened his recruitment following the dismissal of coach Steve Lavin at St. John’s. He originally picked St. John’s over USC, California, LSU, Oklahoma State and Oregon. ... Virginia Tech’s leading scorer, junior guard Adam Smith, has announced plans to transfer. The former UNC Wilmington player averaged 13.4 ppg this past season. He will graduate in May, thus will not have to sit out a season in accordance with transfer rules.

KU honorees: KU junior forward Perry Ellis and sophomore point guard Frank Mason III have been named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) Division I all-district 8 Team, the NABC announced Friday. Ellis was named first team and Mason second team. A total of 24 districts were recognized by the NABC, and District 8 represented the Big 12.

Comments

Brett McCabe 7 years, 4 months ago

Just say you want to stay close to home and quit the pretense already. Does anyone ever just say what they mean anymore? Geez. Cal is terrible. You don't want to leave the Bay? Just say it. My goodness, you could probably start as their Point Guard next year.

Let's get the kid from VaTech.

Congrats to Turg and UA. Nice job. Waiting for the day when a recruit says: I want to stay with Adidas and wear the butt-stripe, so I'm going to Kansas.

Posted elsewhere: I literally don't understand the whole apparel connection in terms of committing to a school. Benz or Aaron - please explain it to this old geezer.

Reggie Flenory 7 years, 4 months ago

don't worry we were never going to get him anyway we also are not going to sign Malik Newman from Mississippi either he's probably going to sign with Kentucky he's just waiting to see who leaves at this point

KJ Quartermaine 7 years, 4 months ago

Reggie, I will pay for you to enroll in English Comp 101.

Signed, Roy Williams

Ashwin Rao 7 years, 4 months ago

Roy, will the tutor do all my homework for me? Are the profs going to give me full grades and pass me? Then count me in! ;)

Reggie Flenory 7 years, 4 months ago

Kj this isn't a English composition class nore is this a dissertation This is the Internet not a graded assignment lmao!!

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 4 months ago

KJ, will you pay for me to enroll me in Yoga 101? I just know it will help.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 4 months ago

Since we're going here..I really could use a better grade in Calculus KJ...

Joe Ross 7 years, 4 months ago

Somehow, my intuition informs me you probably did very well in calculus. ;)

Arthur Ankeney 7 years, 4 months ago

AAU teams are sponsered by these apparel companies. This has led, in the past, to relationships between the kids and certain persons in various positios within the companies. They watch them play throughout their high school days and form a relationship, so when choosing a college, the idea of being able to keep that reltionship intact is appealing to certain players.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 4 months ago

The apparel companies really don't have the huge impact on where a kid goes like some believe (Jaybate had some really interesting conspiracy theories on the matter, but I didn't the ones on this matter held much water). It might be a factor for some kids and quite frankly those are the kids that KU doesn't need because they have other priorities than choosing the right school for themselves.

As for why KU has been with Adidas for so long, Adidas pays more per year than Nike (don't know about how much Under Armour would pay per year). Adidas also outfits all of KU's varsity teams whereas Nike typically has a contract with each sport.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 4 months ago

Adidas simply gave us a better deal. I see Adidas products everywhere and agree w/you on the impact.

KJ Quartermaine 7 years, 4 months ago

Actually Brett, I disagree with you. Ivan said he wants to go to the school that gives him the best chance to get immediate PT. KU, UK, and Zona all have loaded rosters in comparison to Cal. SO obviously, he would get all the minutes in the world at Cal, in addition to it being close to home

Walter Bridges 7 years, 4 months ago

I think he would have started at KU from DAY 1 but it seems he either doesn't want any competition or really likes Cal and the Bay area.

I'v been to Cal and it's gorgeous. They don't like recruiters much though.

Reggie Flenory 7 years, 4 months ago

I have a good friend out here in Los Angeles that is from East Oakland and about 6 months ago I was asking him about Ivan and he told me don't even worry about him because he's not going to leave the Bay Area I asked him why not he mentioned East Oakland kids rarely ever leave the west coast then he cited Marshawn Lynch as a example I have a feeling that that Zimmerman kid in Las Vegas is going to stay in Las Vegas as well which means we really are going to have to jockey for position with Kentucky over maker and diallo

Rob Bedford III 7 years, 4 months ago

I think Diallo will be between KU and ISU. I see him picking ISU. Kentucky will land Maker and Thomas Bryant to go with Skal who has already committed.

Robert Brock 7 years, 4 months ago

I have Bryant picking Indiana. That may save the Indy coach's job.

Reggie Flenory 7 years, 4 months ago

I'm not sold on diallo he has the same skill set that cliff Alexander has limited offensive ability Limited basketball IQ but supposedly he's a good rebounder and rim protector which at 6 foot 9 inches tall it's hard to be a rim protector in college

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 4 months ago

Diallo is likely a multi year player because he hasn't been playing basketball for very long.

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 4 months ago

We are 3rd on Zimmerman's list and you are right that he most likely will go to UNLV. He doesn't want to go far from home because he is feeling the need to stay near his mom.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 4 months ago

I think the same thing about M. Turner at Texas. He would have been pivotal (no pun intended) here. Starter too. A top 10 pick possibly. Now he is anywhere from 14-20 in mock drafts. Not a big drop but he did not help himself going there.

Shane Johnston 7 years, 4 months ago

Agree - his potential fit at KU is the main thing we have going for us. We need him as much as he needs Kansas. At least Arizona and Kentucky can't say that right now.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 4 months ago

Rabb was never leaving the west. This was not a loss, but a confirmation of that.

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 4 months ago

This is why I wish we knew what was going to happen to Cliff asap because we may miss out on getting another big.

Shane Johnston 7 years, 4 months ago

Yes. We'll be in trouble if he hasn't announced within a few days of the tournament ending and the guys at Arizona, Duke and Kentucky are on the clock.

Reggie Flenory 7 years, 4 months ago

The moment cliffs mom filed that motion in the state court of Illinois for that loan he was done in college basketball like Bill said if anything was gonna happen it would have already cliffs lawyers have advised him not to speak he's done at Kansas period Ku will be fine moving forward but cliffs folks screwed him royally

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 4 months ago

I agree that his Mom did, but I am betting she sadly didn't know what she was doing, which is even more unfortunate. I don't blame her, but hopefully this is a lesson on listening to agents etc.

It would be nice though to get a final decision just so that KU and Cliff know so that he and the school can move forward. It really sucks for Cliff though because he is not NBA ready, and another year would have done him a lot of good.

Reggie Flenory 7 years, 4 months ago

I'm sure they already know the decision in house they are just waiting for the tournament to end

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 4 months ago

I have thought about that, which maybe the reason Self is going after big men knowing Cliff is gone.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 4 months ago

We don't need this guy or any other big ranked in the top 20.

We need some guys that will hang out for four years and learn how to play basketball...and enjoys the experience of being at KU.

Let's load up on some T-Rob type players.

Thomas Robinson. That dude was a tough competitor who had his head in the right place. Miss having that guy around.

Cody Riedy 7 years, 4 months ago

More guys like Thomas Robinson? So a highly ranked recruit (ESPN's #40 overall) whose minutes are limited because he plays behind 3 future NBA draft picks (Withey and the Morri), two of which go on to be significant contributors in the NBA (the Morri) but then is so good in his one season of starting, he immediately leaves college early for the NBA as a lottery pick?

Sounds like a great idea. Geez, why is it so hard for Self to accurately identify, project, and sign only the recruits ranked between say 20-50 who will be really good but only after two or three years at which point they will end up being finalists for best player in the country before they leave to be lottery picks in the NBA? Like with TRob, I mean c'mon, who didn't know back in 2009 that the few guys ranked just before and after TRob (David and Travis Wear, Erik Murphy, Kyryl Natyazhko, Isiah Armwood, Rodney Williams, Durand Scott, and Nolan Dennis) would do nothing, while TRob would be a college superstar who averaged 17.7 ppg and 11.9 reb?

Reggie Flenory 7 years, 4 months ago

Lmao!!! Couldn't have said it better myself

Walter Bridges 7 years, 4 months ago

Agree w/the exception of TRob playing behind Withey. They played different positions and came into their own the same year.

Benz Junque 7 years, 4 months ago

You forgot to mention that there is only one big man outside the Top 30 that isn't already committed.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 4 months ago

That's the kind of guy we need at KU - the kind who doesn't have delusions of grandeur and takes a more blue-collar approach to basketball. T-Rob type of guys get you to Final Fours.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 4 months ago

The problem Doug is there aren't ANY players left in next years class. If we cant land one of these OADs we will have a few scholarships for the walk-ons next year.

It looks like we are down to the final 6 players but there will be some transfers and decommits.

Harlan Hobbs 7 years, 4 months ago

Diallo won't be going to ISU if Hoiberg jumps to the NBA to coach the Bulls.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 4 months ago

I didn't think Hoiberg was interested but now it appears that he is.. Shaka Smart headed to Texas?

Joe Ross 7 years, 4 months ago

Gosh I hope Hoiberg stays at ISU. We need coaches in the league who are going to both increase the competition level in the Big 12 and prepare their teams to test Kansas so we can do well in the tournament.

Mike Riches 7 years, 4 months ago

There's also a lot of talk of Cal going back to the NBA, especially if UK wins. And seriously, what better way to go out on top than 40-0? That would dramatically change the recruiting landscape, and may open up Skal Labissiere again.

Reggie Flenory 7 years, 4 months ago

I kind of hope you are right but then again I don't I want to beat Coach Cal and Kentucky while they are hot on the flip side if he does leave that create a huge vacuum in college basketball that Kansas could possibly fill

Michael Lorraine 7 years, 4 months ago

Cal leaving for the NBA would dramatically improve the landscape of college basketball but I wouldn't bet on him bolting. He already makes more than most NBA coaches.

Benz Junque 7 years, 4 months ago

Even if Cleveland fires their coach and the Cavs give him $10 million a year to coach LeBron? He might be GONE if that happened.

Cody Riedy 7 years, 4 months ago

Rick Barnes out at UT. Should KU fans be worried about a guy like Shaka Smart or even Gregg Marshall taking over and elevating Texas as a real challenger to KU or should fans be happy at the prospects of an improved Texas and thereby improved Big XII?

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 4 months ago

Everybody should want Texas as good as possible because it makes KU better when there's another Final Four contender in the Big 12. UT is a sleeping giant and have the resources to hire an elite coach and give him a recruiting budget to get the elite level recruits they had 10 years ago.

Cody Riedy 7 years, 4 months ago

This is probably a stupid question, but why is Texas considered such an elite basketball job? The same things that make the football program elite - tons of money in the athletic department, general brand recognition, huge in-state population for recruiting? I guess I'm just wondering why assume Texas can/will be great more so than a place like UCLA, which would seem to have recruiting and branding advantages, etc, yet struggles to find consistent success.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 4 months ago

UT is a 2nd tier basketball job with the potential to be an elite job. Barnes has made 16 of 17 NCAA tournaments so even their bad years were still ending in NCAA tournament berths. They will pay at an elite level (Barnes was making over 2 million per season), they have top level facilities. I don't know if you've ever been to Austin, but it is a very fun city. Most importantly, elite level recruits will go to Austin, the list of recruits Barnes landed during his time there shows that. If you get a Shaka Smart in there, with the coaching abilities he's shown at VCU, he could realistically make Texas a national title contender in a pretty short span of time and keep them at that level most seasons.

Mike Riches 7 years, 4 months ago

Is Steve Alford going somewhere? UCLA is by far a better job than UT. Austin is nice, but it's not Southern California...

Cody Riedy 7 years, 4 months ago

No, Alford isn't getting fired or anything. I just used UCLA as an example because people talk about UT as if it was just the right hire away from being a college basketball superpower so I just used UCLA as an example of a school which would seem to have as much claim as being a sleeping giant as well, but which hasn't "woken up" in a long time despite coaching changes itself.

Benz Junque 7 years, 4 months ago

Lots of money, great school, great facilities and great recruiting grounds. Put a great coach there and they are perennial Top 10.

Michael Lorraine 7 years, 4 months ago

Lon Kruger. The guy is always looking for an upgrade. Only Larry Brown has more coaching jobs.

Erich Hartmann 7 years, 4 months ago

Shaka Smart is overrated. Look at his VCU teams the last 4yrs since that cinderella F4 run. And he lacked the ambition it takes to drive you to excellence at a major program. So credit Shaka for being smart enough to know this and stay at VCU.

Gregg Marshall is about to jump into the fire of the BigXII with both feet if he takes the UTex job, along with feeling the whacks on his backside from the Wish-itaSt faithful, who will enter another Dark Age if Marshall leaves and Baker & VanVleet are gone. (1-2yr timeline)

Tyler Capone 7 years, 4 months ago

I don't see KU getting any of these top recruits we're in the running for.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 4 months ago

I agree Tyler, maybe Thon but getting him eligible may be the biggest hurdle.

John Randall 7 years, 4 months ago

How many top 50 b-ball programs worry about getting a recruit 'eligible' – aside from UNC, of course?