Sunday, March 15, 2015

Kansas earns No. 2 seed in Midwest region, will tip off vs. New Mexico State at 11:15 a.m. Friday

Jayhawks in same region as Kentucky, same pod as Wichita State

Members of the Kansas University men's basketball team watch the unveiling of this year's NCAA Tournament field Sunday, March 15, 2015, in the Naismith Room on the second floor of Allen Fieldhouse. The Jayhawks earned a No. 2 seed in the Midwest Region and will open play against No. 15 seed New Mexico State on Friday in Omaha, Nebraska.

The uncertainty is over. As the prevalent pre-March Madness speculation presumed, Kansas University’s basketball team earned a No. 2 seed and will open the 2015 NCAA Tournament in Omaha, Nebraska.

The Jayhawks (26-8) learned on Sunday evening’s Selection Show they will face No. 15 seed New Mexico State (23-10) at 11:15 a.m. on Friday, while competing in the Midwest region.

KU’s pod also includes a first-round matchup between No. 7 seed — and fellow Sunflower State power — Wichita State and No. 10 seed Indiana.

The No. 1 seed in the Midwest region is undefeated Kentucky, the undisputed tournament favorite.

The Midwest

Mascot: Aggies

Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico

Conference: WAC

Colors: Crimson and White

Coach: Marvin Menzies, 8th season at NMSU

Bid: Automatic via WAC Tournament title

• Leading scorers: 6-8, Sr. F Remi Barry (13.3), 6-9, RS-Fr. F Pascal Siakam (13.0), 6-2, Sr. G Daniel Mullings (12.6) and 6-10, Sr. C Tshilidzi Nephawe (10.4).

• Leading rebounders: Pascal Siakam (7.7), Tshilidzi Nephawe (7.6) and Daniel Mullings (5.0).

• Leading passers: 6-0, Soph. G Ian Baker (2.8), 6-2, Sr. G DK Eldridge (2.2) and Daniel Mullings (2.8 in 21 games).

Marvin Menzies - WAC coach of the year

Pascal Siakam - WAC freshman of the year, all-WAC first team, WAC all-defensive team; WAC all-newcomer team

Daniel Mullings - WAC first team; WAC all-defensive team

Tshilidzi Nephawe - WAC Tourney MVP; all-WAC second team

Remi Barry - WAC All-Tournament team, all-WAC second team

— Check back in at KUsports.com for more throughout the evening.

Comments

Kristen Downing 7 years, 3 months ago

The NCAA loves a good story line.....Wichita State. Hope we can get to that round.

Jace FitzGibbon 7 years, 3 months ago

Excited to potentially face the shockers, but scared theyll blow us out. Tough region, notre dame playing well and of course, Kentucky.....

I dont predict us getting out of the sweet 16 if we get there, but im hoping! They underseeded the shockers hardcore to set up that potential matchup. Id have guessed a 5 seed at the lowest.

William Weissbeck 7 years, 3 months ago

Not sure I agree with the storyline thing. Appears to me to be more of a set up. WSU is too low. IU is low because of their conference play, but they have talent at the guards. Either team could 3 us to death. Notre Dame got the shaft. You beat Duke twice, win the ACC tournament and this is your reward? Our RPI got us a No. 2 seed, but it was really ND's. When they play well, they are just as good as Arizona - a very solid, efficient team that plays as a team.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 3 months ago

In 1981, a KU-WSU matchup was the beginning of the end for Ted Owens. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself in 2015, or Jayhawk Nation will NEVER hear the end of it.

Tom Longhofer 7 years, 3 months ago

I think too many losses to K-State hurt Ted more than anything, but every loss hurt some. There's no denying KU has done much better since Owens was fired, but I still think he was badly treated. He certainly left Larry Brown in good shape - Kelly Knight, Carl Henry, Greg Dreiling, Kerry Boagni, Calvin Thompson, Ron Kellogg, and Russell Robinson (recruited by JoJo White, an Owens assistant). But you're right, a loss to WSU would reverberate for YEARS. I think the last 66-65 billboard in Wichita finally collapsed in 2009.

Gregor Southard 7 years, 3 months ago

KU was number 1 in all time wins when Owens took over. A distant 4th when finally fired. Two 13-13 seasons didn't help, either

Tom Longhofer 7 years, 3 months ago

His last two seasons were definitely a low water mark.

William Weissbeck 7 years, 3 months ago

Not sure that's accurate. I think we were always a few wins behind UK. We were both racing to be the first to 1,000. KU's 66-69 teams did nothing to weaken that. I recall '70 was down, but '71 was a Final Four. It was under coaching the talent that finally did him in. The '78 team was flat out loaded, but the tournament loss to KSU cost KU the Midwest seed. After that recruiting seemed to fall off, and his coaching style seemed to be dated. But look at Norm Stewart - who under coached their talent more?

Cody Riedy 7 years, 3 months ago

I want to be fired up about a potential Wichita State match up and I hope our guys will be if we get there, but that is what sucks about it, (like always) KU will have little to gain (credibility wise) and everything to lose, whereas it will largely be the opposite for WSU unless we absolutely hammered them.

Robert Brown 7 years, 3 months ago

The last two seasons were Owens's demise. I remember the WSU game and you could be blame the coaching. WSU, I think was favored. They were the higher seed. KU had a couple of opportunities to put the game away, but missed a breakaway layup and a key free throw late in the game.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 3 months ago

Good news our first round opponent isn't Belmont or the Bison of North Dakota State. Can't wait to play the Shockers.

Mike Riches 7 years, 3 months ago

Seriously? Wichita State a 7 seed? They were ranked in the top ten two weeks ago!

Brianna Zaleski 7 years, 3 months ago

I love this scenario! This gives KU legitimate motivation to get to the Sweet 16. First off, you know Self will be pumped to put it to Marshall, so I'm confident he will be fully engaged on the coaching side. Additionally, you know our boys are going to want to stick it to CF for bailing on them. Even though he's not playing, I believe they'll be juiced to show Connor what he gave up and what he now has.

Keep in mind, too, that WSU is not guaranteed a pass to us. You'll figure that the coaching staff will be all in on IU, that they'll be scrambling to put together a gameplan. Even tho we won't be looking past our first opponent, I have to believe that we're putting a gameplan together now for the Shockers

RJ King 7 years, 3 months ago

And that would be a huge mistake. I know the Aztecs hardly played anyone, but they only lost by 11 to Baylor at Waco. We can't take them lightly.

As much as Self would like to "put it" to Marshall, Marshall and the entire WSU nation have a much larger chip on their shoulders and will be just as eager, if not more, to prove something to KU. Teams playing with nothing to lose are some of the most dangerous in the tournament.

Honestly, I doubt if our boys care much about "sticking it" to CF. If anything, Mason, Graham, Greene and Selden owe a few of their minutes to him. I like the match up, but frankly it scares me a bit. We have everything to lose.

Kristen Downing 7 years, 3 months ago

Wrong KU team. This team does not think like that.

Dwight Murray 7 years, 3 months ago

Maybe it would not be wise to make KU fans think about what CF may have contributed to the program this year. You know just little things, Like not driving the lane into the trees, really thinking about passing the ball would be a nice thought. Oh-almost forgot about shooting a 3. Just little things like maybe 2-3 more wins this year and the chance to move on.

Maybe CF and his dad came to understand why BS really WASN'T going to play him. All by a slow skinny Kansas kid.

Andy Tweedy 7 years, 3 months ago

I've been to two tournament games, 1988 in Pontiac, and 2008 in Omaha. I don't have tix and live in Omaha. So if anybody is buying into me being the reason we made those runs in '88 and '08, hook me up with some tix!!!

John Fitzgerald 7 years, 3 months ago

Don't worry we won't make it past the 1st round.

William Weissbeck 7 years, 3 months ago

And again Duke gets the easy ride. Wisconsin got no favors. I can see ISU making it to the regional finals. Maybe Georgetown's size can control Duke - but I doubt it. The Valley gets no respect.

Kristen Downing 7 years, 3 months ago

Man, I wish we had Iowa State's number three seed....

Cody Riedy 7 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, if I was an Iowa State fan, I'd be pretty happy to have that 3 in that bracket rather than KU's 2 in the midwest.

William Weissbeck 7 years, 3 months ago

Per Lanordi (sp?), we were supposed to have the #2 in that region. So either the loss hurt us, or the NCAA is balancing out our poor play and hopes we fill the seats in Omaha.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 3 months ago

I see Duke got the usual preferential treatment despite not winning the ACC regular season or postseason. Arizona got robbed of their 1 seed. (I hate to admit that, as I HATE Arizona). If we get a rematch with UK, I'd love to be the team that ruins their perfect season. Texas, Oklahoma State and UCLA got bids they didn't deserve. Temple missed out on a bid they deserved, which makes losing to them by 25 even worse. I hope Jerod Haase's Blazers upset the Cry-Clowns!

Carolyn Hunzicker 7 years, 3 months ago

Kentucky,Kansas, Wichita State and FIVE INDIANA TEAMS ?????

Gregor Southard 7 years, 3 months ago

Didn't like the body language of the players when they found out where they were put/seeded.

Cody Riedy 7 years, 3 months ago

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. What do our guys have to jump and cheer about? I mean every projection had them as a 2 or a 3 in the midwest or in the south and that's what they got. I doubt these guys have spent a lot of time watching, studying, and worrying about other teams, so I doubt much registered to them seeing the seeding accept 1) they are in Kentucky's bracket (which they have a long way to go before they have to worry about that) and 2) "hey Wichita State, they're just down the road!" Besides a guy like Perry, I'm not sure the in-state "rivalry" with a team they never play means much to them.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 3 months ago

The 2012 team's body language wasn't great when they were seeded #2 in the Midwest, and we all know how that turned out.

Allin Herring 7 years, 3 months ago

Body language? These guys barely moved!!! How sad for this team, you get a #2 seed and you sit there like a bump on a log! Oh yea that is how they played in the second half yesterday. They are just playing there roles

Kipchoge VanHoose 7 years, 3 months ago

I love the seed. Knew we would be the lowest 2nd seed. Expectations nationally are low for the Jayhawks. If you have aspirations for the title, it had to go through Kentucky. Our guys should be dialed in for the tournament. I just need Mason to be the little general.

Robin Smith 7 years, 3 months ago

I agree. I also like the challenge and the possible road, should KU advance.

If KU wins I want them winning big. I would particularly enjoy seeing KU top WSU, ND, Texas, UK, Zona (or UNC), and then Duke/UofL/ISU.

KU will never feel like the favorite, which I like.

Hopefully KU finds their stroke from range and Mason takes over, becoming Kansas's Shabazz/Kemba.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 3 months ago

The low expectations for this team nationally should allow Kansas to go out and just have fun. Bill Self should coach them to just go out and have fun, since no one expects anything of them, and take the pressure off of them.

Shannon Gustafson 7 years, 3 months ago

I bought a ticket on Friday banking on them going to Omaha so I'll be there...in the second row! It's my first NCAA game so I hope KU shows up ready to play a couple good rounds while I'm there. Every KU game I've ever watched has been a win.

Jeff Soisson 7 years, 3 months ago

I say we all go with Shannon to see the game and all games, nice win loss record!

Jay Hawk 7 years, 3 months ago

This will be interesting, edge of your seat drama for this team. A tougher than normal 15 seed will likely provide more hand-wringing than we want.

Let's face it - WSU will be a tough game for sure and we could definitely lose that one. If we play well, we win. If we play average, we are likely to win. I think the best Big XII team is better than the second best MVC team on most nights. If we play poorly, we will be done.

ND and us is a toss up. If they hit shots from 3 like they are capable of, we aren't likely to hang. They shoot marginally we have a great chance.

It's been a long time (2009?) since my expectations for a post season run have been this low.

The good thing about our draw is that the KNOWN kryptonite for this team - huge front court, length - isn't the strength of WSU and ND. Perhaps it is for NMSU but we should still overcome.

William Weissbeck 7 years, 3 months ago

ND is a very good team. Extremely efficient. Muscular guard that can drive. They shoot 3's. They handled Duke twice, easily, although Duke is very small. Of the lower seeds that can man up with UK - ND and AZ are the only two. Everyone else will have to do something special or different to beat UK.

Brian Conrad 7 years, 3 months ago

Spot on .. best comment on page ! fact is New Mexico state will be tough but not in top 50 RPI and 97 BPI KU strong in both .. WSU strong in both .. but again Big 12 had 4 teams right around WSU in rpi and bpi.. so just comes down to KU plays good they should win.. reason we got 2 seed.... also NMSU has some tall guys but Perry , Lucas , Hunter and Jamari at or above NMSU 6-8 , 6-10 guys... WSU only has 1 player 6-7 or above that averages more than 4 points... take care of business on first day and do not think Shockers can handle Ellis , Traylor , Lucas and Hunter..

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 3 months ago

WSU may not match up well with our front court, but our back court is going to absolutely struggle to contain their guards.

Mike Riches 7 years, 3 months ago

I would really love one more rematch with Iowa State!! Please!!!

Steve Jacob 7 years, 3 months ago

Midwest is tough. Notre Dame can flat out score, I think Maryland is very good, Wichita State's two of three loses where @Utah in OT, and @Northern Iowa.

Omaha will be packed with KU and Wisconsin fans. Root for Oklahoma State KU fans.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 3 months ago

I would be THRILLED to play Kentucky once again..that would mean KU won two more games than I thought they had liittle chance of winning.

WHEW!!! No "Bs" in our bracket!!

My heartbreaking prediction; no Big 12 team makes it to the Elite Eight because we have just spent 17 weeks and a four consecutive day post season tournament beating the crap out of each other!!

William Weissbeck 7 years, 3 months ago

I think ISU has to best path to the Elite 8. Baylor can cause trouble because of their defense. Drew is a decent game coach. A lot for both teams depends on height matchups. The Big 12 was not a post dominated league as is strangely most of the NCAA this year. WVU will be fun to watch. Higher seeded teams can self destruct with T/O's - KU/NIU, KU/VCU. KU's problem is that we have matchup issues, and we don't really create any of our own. We seasoning, Oubre and Greene would easily create matchup problems. But the rest can pretty much be defensed straight up. We have no one to guard a good wing player.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 3 months ago

KU got job bed with the match ups. KU may have more talent than WSU, but WSU is the better team. They went 35-0 before Andrew Harrison started making every ridiculous shot he took and reached the Final Four the year before that and most that Final Four team is still there. WSU should've been a 6 seed at worst and really should've been a 5 seed. They're better than all 4 of the 6 seeds (Butler, Xavier, SMU, and Providence) and I think they're better than West Virginia and Arkansas.

KU can get to the Elite 8, but I really don't see that happening with their flaws and inconsistencies.

Vic Janeway 7 years, 3 months ago

Well they definitely made it hard for KU. BUT to prove you can beat Kenducky you must work your tail off! RCJHKU!!

Joe Ross 7 years, 3 months ago

Who ever thought the potential of a looming matchup between Kansas and Kentucky could be billed as "David v. Goliath" or "Rocky v. Drago"?

Not I, said the fox.

Gerry Butler 7 years, 3 months ago

we just have to take 1 game at a time, play the game that is in front of us. New Mexico State is not just going to air mail us the victory, we have to be ready, this years team is not good enough unlike some teams of the past where we as fans can kinda go like well that's a win take for granted, hope the team and I'm sure they are are only worried about the 1st game, NEW MEXICO STATE. if w do win the game then IF Wichita State wins which hell who knows they may so focused on the possible matchup with us they may try and over look Indiana they better not. but if we both should win there should be some great match ups . Mason- - Van Fleet, Seldon- - Baker & probably Ellis- - Cotton could be very interesting GO HAWKS

William Weissbeck 7 years, 3 months ago

The potential KU-WSU matchup reminds me of the WSU-UK setup last year. UK was by no means as low as an 8. They wanted to set WSU up early against a name program with talent. It's rare but it does happen that the committee under seeds a team in order to get the desired match up down the road. They could have flipped KU and ND, and then raised WSU's seed to a 6, still to meet KU. The committee was simply stuck with KU's insane RPI and didn't want to violate their selection criteria.

Brian Conrad 7 years, 3 months ago

Big 12 gets 3-4 in sweet 16 and one or 2 in elite 8 .. may sneak one in final four ... OU.... this year I am rooting for Wisconsin all the way.. unless something freaky happens and KU would slip in back door.. lets face it Kensucky is largest favorite ever.. Wisconsin may be one of few teams with inside muscle and outside shooting to beat em..

Joe Ross 7 years, 3 months ago

We should now be scheduling Wichita State every year anyway. The fans want it.

Micky Baker 7 years, 3 months ago

Wichita State has a lot more to gain from it than we do. They got some good recruits and found a diamond in the rough from inside the state of Kansas, Scott City. They only want to play us when they have a ranked team. Other than that, they don't want to see KU on their schedule.

However, I think Wichita State should consider reinstating the football program as I am sure that those who perished in the plane crash would have wanted the program to continue, but it would be a massive project, but because of their location they could get some quality non-con games scheduled with OU, Oklahoma State, K-State, Kansas, etc. Then if they built that to where they can get 8-10 wins consistently, it might be a good thing next time realignment comes around. Then, they would probably have to be invited into a BCS conference and that would be a big hurdle with the way the NCAA currently operates with the money first attitude. They could probably go Conference USA or the MAC first, but they will not be able to jump from the Missouri Valley to the Big 12. I'd like to see them start moving that direction because it will take them awhile to get to the point where they could join a power 5 conference. It would be ideal if they could and would make Kansas a big market because it would be 3 teams who all play each other every year which would put fans in the seats from all over Kansas. Sure, they might beat us this year... but it would most likely end up being like the KU vs K-State series with KU dominating them in both sports and we've dominated them in baseball, at least last season we swept them. But, it's a pipe dream for them right to be able to sustain that program at a level that can beat us at a .300 rate or more right now. Restore Shockers Football. Hey, they have big donors there who would build them a stadium. It would be great for the state if they did that, then the annual games could be scheduled with K-State and Kansas in both football and basketball, and that would help Wichita State with revenues that could help them pursue a pathway to eventually joining the Big 12.

I don't think Wichita State is going to sustain its success in basketball unless it reinstates football, and then we'd be accused of scheduling an in-state cupcake as soon as Ron Baker graduates in 2016. So far, they have 3 commits for the class of 2015. Two of them are unranked and one is a 3-star. They're going to be losing arguably their best overall player. Every now and again they will have good teams, but I just don't see an annual game to our benefit.

Until they make a commitment to long-term success, I really don't want them on our schedule. KU has nothing to gain from it right now.

Joe Ross 7 years, 3 months ago

Scheduling Wichita State in either of the last two years would not only have improved the RPI, but it would have generated a lot of fan interest. We can keep talking about how theyre not worthy, but while we do that successful seasons are rolling by that we had a chance to schedule them in. And who knows the future? None of us. It is not possible to know for sure what is going to happen with their program, but the best guess is to look at the trajectory of their past. WSU is on the rise. In a situation that helps your program and gives fans a great game, there is only one right thing to do.

Micky Baker 7 years, 3 months ago

It would have been very difficult to have improved the RPI this year.

Shannon Gustafson 7 years, 3 months ago

We can schedule games with teams that have the same or better RPI than WSU any time we want. WSU doesn't schedule games against teams with an RPI as good as ours (whether that's their choice or other teams not being willing to do so, I don't know). Regardless, when you look at how much it would help WSU to play use (a lot, win or lose, unless they lose badly) vs how much it would help us (very little to none regardless of the outcome).

We clearly have no issue scheduling quality opponents for the non-conference season so we don't "need" WSU on our schedule.

Also realize that we always schedule non-conference opponents in fertile recruiting locations for obvious reasons (and Bill Self has mentioned this multiple times in interviews). Wichita is not a fertile recruiting location and we've got every great player from their without playing in Wichita which helps to show we've got nothing to gain from a recruiting standpoint either.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 3 months ago

And still not scheduling has not hurt us in the RPI or #2 seeds in those two years, which is what seed we should have received the way we finished the last two years. So #2 RPI this year, second to a team who is fairly compared as one of the best college teams ever assembled, would have improved if we scheduled WSU? Not so sure about that.

If you are going to throw out looking at their past you have to consider all of it don't you? We still have more MVC championships then they do and we last played in that conf in 1927. They have been to one final four in the last 40 years, and have acted like a spoiled little kid with their hand out to our program rather than someone who deserves to be respected by KU.

I am glad we have another successful team in the state but until they act with docorum, especially from their coach, I see no need to schedule or play WSU. It is very hard to complain about our schedule or to say we are ducking someone with who we have played the last two seasons. Saying it would be great for the fans does not ring true either.

I support our coach and scheduling team, there is no need to play WSU just because.

John Pritchett 7 years, 3 months ago

There isn't a lack of fan interest. Are there any schools with more fan interest than KU?

Jerry Brewster 7 years, 3 months ago

Been a KU Fan since I was old enough to understand. This KU team is weakest of the last 11 Big 12 Conf champs. KY is not losing folks. KU is still good enough to be competitive with every team in this besides KY. WSU has everything to gain and that matchup is ok at best ND is really good. The midwest was ONLY region I wanted KU out of. This KU team just isn't strong inside on either end of the floor. Hopefully Oubre stays another year. Sweet 16 would be a success this year. RCJH

John Pritchett 7 years, 3 months ago

If we lose to any team this year, I'd want it to be Kentucky. That's as far as my optimism goes. I believe we have the ability to get to Kentucky. Anything more would be a miracle (a North Carolina beating Wilt's Jayhawks kind of miracle), but just having that chance is huge. I'll be disappointed if we lose to any other team, but there is no shame in losing to this Kentucky team. A win, however, would be among the greatest wins in KU history. Having the opportunity to rob Kentucky of its historic prize, that's a special opportunity.

Brandon Dey 7 years, 3 months ago

Looking forward to playing in the Kentucky Invitational. Always a thrill to be a part of their tournament. Where else can you fall so short of expectations in front of millions year after year? In fact using the flawed reasoning that if we were more talented with hopes of going far in the previous years and failed, it looks like this year we are going to play in the championship game with a real chance to win this.

Seriously, we have had a nice year, my hope is that we play well and advance a few rounds. Then we can focus on getting a few more recruits and resetting for next season.

(Was the picture for the article taken before, during or after the announcement? Sorry but just can't tell).

Doug Merrill 7 years, 3 months ago

"We should now be scheduling Wichita State every year anyway. The fans want it"

This fan doesn't and I honestly doubt that most KU fans do. It would be rewarding a coach down there that acts like a jerk. We gain nothing from it if we win (I am sure it would be a win we got because of how much the refs favor KU and the Big 12 blah, blah, blah) and we induce more poor behavior if we lose. No value.

Micky Baker 7 years, 3 months ago

My ESPN brackets, I've filled out two of them so far. I have KU advancing to the Sweet 16 on the first one with ND advancing to the Elite 8. In the other I have Butler upsetting ND and KU advancing to the Elite 8, which unfortunately is as far as we can hope for them to go unless they all of a sudden get hot from behind the arch and make 15-20 of them against Kentucky and clog up the middle so Kentucky can't get to the bucket easily on drives and lobs. We'd also have to elevate in big ways early to force Kentucky to leave their feet and then begin using the ball fakes to get them to come down on top of our guys trying to step through to the bucket. Gotta neutralize their length by forcing them to be indecisive on defense. We also need to pass it better when our guards try to drive to the open man when their weak side guy rotates over. A perfect game would be required, and we haven't had a perfect game this year. There is nobody that would have a shot to upset them until at least the Elite 8 unless by some miracle, 5 or 6 of their guys get suspended or miss the bus.

I do think we'll beat New Mexico St. That second game is quite interesting if Wichita State advances, which they should. That game Butler vs. Texas game is intriguing also. I think either of those two teams could beat ND in the 2nd round.

In one of my brackets, I have Wisconsin vs. Kentucky in the Final 4. That would be interesting. In that bracket, I think Wisconsin is one of 3 or 4 teams that could pull off an upset because Wisconsin doesn't foul and they can alter shots and get Kentucky frustrated. In the other one I have Kentucky taking the whole thing, and not even really being challenged by anyone because that is also possible, as much as I hate to say it about Kentucky.

DaNeille Dani Davis 7 years, 3 months ago

We'll get clobbered by Wichita State if we're lucky enough to get past the first round. Whenever the pressure is on us to win, like it undoubtedly will be against them, our guys choke! They get nervous and play like crap like they have these past several weeks. Teams are supposed to be peaking right now! Not regressing!! I don't know what is wrong with this team but I don't see any confidence in them. My money won't be on them to make it very far.

Jeff Soisson 7 years, 3 months ago

WSU could be a shocker because we don't care but it does put pressure on us in the NCAA's because this is their tournament (win, beat us historic, we beat them who cares). We have had good seeds and brackets and blown it and we have been lower seeds and done well. The bracket does not matter, make 3's and we can beat everyone including Kentucky. It is time to play ball and make 3's. We can beat Kentucky if we can get there...we have history! Mario!

Suzi Marshall 7 years, 3 months ago

The Hawks will win 3 to meet UK in the elite 8, where we will get revenge. The Big 12 will show off with Kansas will lead a big 12 parade to the final 4.

Mark it down- Final Four - Kansas, ISU, OU, and Baylor

National Championship - Kansas

MVP - Perry Ellis

Robin Smith 7 years, 3 months ago

that would be so sweet, on so many levels

Rodney Crain 7 years, 3 months ago

Aww dreams are nice...

Mine are:

Peace in the middle east

The return of rational thought in Congress

That we are vigilant in addressing race relations in this country

Jim Pendleton 7 years, 3 months ago

Ah Suzi, ever the optimist! Quite a 180 from the person who regularly throws players by name under the bus when something goes wrong. Like someone missing a game winning layup and they are the worst player in KU history. Now she predicts those worst players ever are going to lead us to a national title? Additional great comedy of four Big 12 teams in the Final Four!

Jim Pendleton 7 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps you need to go back to the columns from the first WV game and review your posts, where a lot of Jayhawk Nation called you out for calling Perry a mental midget, among other things.

Amazing, despite all the name callers best efforts, Perry still was named 1st team All Big 12, and might have been POY had he not got hurt. Question things all you want, but come on, this is KU, we don't throw our players under the bus individually here.

Suzi Marshall 7 years, 3 months ago

Put it in context and never said, as you claimed, he was the worst player in Kansas history. Also, what I said was not at all throwing him under the bus.

Brandon Dey 7 years, 3 months ago

Mental midget was used by someone replying to her, she never said that.

Coach Self was looking for more from Perry too. Frank had a great year, our conference had great guards and a few good big men. Overall Perry did very well but he had six games where he disappeared, especially early in the season when a young team needed him the most. Great finish up to the injury he was playing like we all hoped he could. Extremely promising for next year.

Bernard Gregory 7 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like a real KU fan to me , I like to remember some of those names of the naysayers when they get to the final four. Because I know they will be singing a different song.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 3 months ago

It's tough to be optimistic when you've gone a very ordinary 7-5 in your last 12 games.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 3 months ago

Me too Bernard, what season do you think we will get there again, next season, 2, 3, or 4 years from now?

I am with you though, they will be singing a different song you are correct on that sir.

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 3 months ago

I don't trust Perry's knee at the moment. He did not look good against Iowa State and a sprained knee takes time to heal. Without him playing well, the Sweet 16 maybe the best we do. One game at a time, and hope the team is healthy enough to play hard with lots of energy. Like Joel's injury last year, Perry is now the concern I have for us this year. Also, Greene needs to get his shot going again while Kelly, Wayne and Frank need to play out of their minds to compensate for what eventually will be our lack of height. Beak em Hawks, and can't wait until Friday!

Jerry Collins 7 years, 3 months ago

Key to our success is regaining our 3 point touch. I'm afraid Perry's bum knee may not hold up under the stress of 6 games. And that will negate most of our inside scoring threat. Perry works hard to get open down low and that puts additional stress on the knee. Hard to penetrate because every defense will be collapsing to keep the ball out of his hands. So, I believe we need to roll the dice and let 'em fly.