Wednesday, March 4, 2015

KU’s Ellis to miss Oklahoma game

Kansas forward Perry Ellis (34) heads to the bucket against Texas center Cameron Ridley (55) during the first half on Saturday, Feb. 28, 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University’s Perry Ellis and Oklahoma’s Buddy Hield, who are arguably the top two contenders for 2015 Big 12 Player of the Year, will not guard each other in any epic one-on-one confrontation Saturday at Noble Center in Norman, Oklahoma.

Ellis, who is a former AAU teammate of Hield, will, in fact, miss the 3 p.m., contest because of a sprained right knee.

“He’s not going to play this Saturday,” KU coach Bill Self told the Journal-World on Wednesday, a day after Ellis sprained his right knee in the first half of KU’s 76-69 overtime victory over West Virginia in Allen Fieldhouse.

“He’s going to be sore here for a few days. Hopefully he’ll be able to respond to treatment and be back out there next week. That’s what we’re hopeful for,” Self added of Ellis returning for the Big 12 tournament, which for KU starts a week from today in Kansas City’s Sprint Center.

“The doctors said, that’s too quick,” Self added of Ellis playing on Saturday. “Of course, with the tournament coming up, our best chance to have him healthy is to let him get some rest and just rehab.”

Self did stress that Ellis has suffered no structural damage in his knee.

As far as the conference Player of the Year battle ... the 6-foot-8 Ellis averages 14.2 points off 47.1 percent shooting, and 7.0 rebounds a game in 30 games. The 6-4 Hield averages 17.3 points off 43.1 percent shooting with 5.4 boards in 29 games.

In league games only, Hield averages 18.5 points off 44.9 percent shooting and 5.7 rebounds to Ellis’ 15.1 points off 50 percent shooting and 7.2 boards.

“I was definitely concerned. He’s our best player. He’s our go-to guy. We’re going to need him,” KU forward Jamari Traylor said of his thoughts when Ellis left Tuesday’s game late in the first half. “I just knew guys would have to step up if he was out. I wanted to be a little more vocal. I wanted to tell guys, ‘We’re still in it,’ and everything,” added Traylor, who finished with 14 points and nine rebounds. He had six of KU’s 17 points in overtime.

“Jamari was the best player in the game for us,” Self said. “He looked like the old Jamari. He’s been laboring a month or so. He had energy, made great athletic plays. We got eight offensive rebounds. He had six of them. I thought Hunter (Mickelson, eight points, three steals, two blocks) played great. Landen (Lucas, six rebounds, two blocks) played great. They all stepped up and played big considering two starters were out — Perry being hurt and Cliff (Alexander) didn’t play.”

Meanwhile, Wayne Selden Jr., who sprained an ankle in the second half, should definitely be available for the Oklahoma game. Selden returned to the locker room to get his ankle re-taped after going down vs. West Virginia.

No news on Cliff: The Chicago Sun-Times’ Michael O’Brien tweeted on Wednesday, “Hearing it is possible Cliff Alexander may be cleared to play for Kansas this weekend. Also, expect him to stay at KU for another year.”

While not commenting on the Tweet specifically, Self said Wednesday: “We were hoping they would be able to make a ruling pretty soon. It’s still the same thing, day-to-day.”

The NCAA is looking into an undisclosed issue regarding Alexander’s eligibility.

Coach of year finalist: Self on Wednesday was named one of 15 finalists for the 2015 Naismith Coach of the Year Award. Self, who has been a finalist for that honor seven times, was Naismith Coach of the Year in 2012.

Other finalists: Baylor’s Scott Drew, plus Tony Bennett (Virginia), Mike Brey (Notre Dame), John Calipari (Kentucky), Mark Few (Gonzaga), Chris Holtmann (Butler), Ben Jacobson (Northern Iowa), Larry Krystkowiak (Utah), Archie Miller (Dayton), Steve Prohm (Murray State), Bo Ryan (Wisconsin), Wayne Tinkle (Oregon State), Mark Turgeon (Maryland) and Jay Wright (Villanova).

On Twitter: KU’s 11th-straight Big 12 title has been a popular topic on Twitter.

“Talk about DOMINANCE/what about the job Bill Self has done in Big 12 play/Rock Chalk Jayhawk faithful help them come back v. WVU,” wrote ESPN’s Dick Vitale.

“KU’s 11th-straight Big 12 crown is one of the most remarkable streaks in all of sports,” wrote Seth Davis of Sports Illustrated.

“I value league championships more than the randomness of NCAA results — to win 11 in a row, never having a down year is spectacular #kubball,” wrote Doug Gottlieb of CBS sports.

“One for the toe: Kansas clinches at least a share of its 11th-straight Big 12 title. That’s Wooden-esque,” wrote Dennis Dodd of CBSsports.com.

“Congrats to Bill Self and Jayhawks on 11th Big12Conference title. Coaching, players and fans all play big part!” wrote ESPN’s Fran Fraschilla.

“That’s 11 in a row for the Jayhawks. And that’s also ridiculous,” wrote Myron Medcalf of ESPN.

“ELEVEN, congrats to them KU boys,” wrote former KU guard Tyshawn Taylor, who is playing pro ball in Puerto Rico.

“Congrats to @KUHoops on yet another Big 12 title. #MoreRingsThanFingers,” wrote Cole Aldrich of the New York Knicks.

“If you are persistent you will get it ... if you are consistent you will keep it #11 Straight #Big12champs #MoreRingsThanFingers,” Tweeted former KU guard Tyrel Reed.

“Yup. Yup. Only people getting hurt are the other 9 teams in the conference and their fans,” wrote former KU forward Mark Randall, including a picture of the 11 trophies sitting on a table at center court of Allen Fieldhouse following the KU-WVU game.

Comments

Jerry Collins 7 years, 2 months ago

There has been some talk of coaches around the conference. So while waiting for the post season Big 12 and NCAA tournaments I made a list of Big 12 coaches that I would like to see coach the Jayhawks if we didn't have Bill Self (heaven forbid). I have listed in order of preference with comments why.

1. Fred Hoiberg, ISU. Definitely my first choice. Can coach, recruit and has the personality to represent KU well.

2. Lon Kruger, OU. As good of fundamentals coach as you could ask for. Even though he has KSU roots, if given the chance to coach at a top rated program I think the KU fans would forgive him for his unfortunate roots. Close 2nd to Fred Hoiberg.

3. Scott Drew, BU. Has done a good job bringing a weak basketball school to the point of a solid program. He can recruit solid players. Tough start this year but now has them playing up to their potential.

4. Rick Barnes, TEX. Good recruiter and coach of the fundamentals. Unfortunately, he has Roy Williams disease, weak game coach.

5. Travis Ford, OSU. Has the ability to get good kids and gets them to play hard. Would definitely have better success at a basketball school such as KU.

6. Trent Johnson, TCU. When at a better program (Stanford), he was fairly successful taking them to NCAA's 3 out of 4 years. I think he would do well with the KU program.

7. Bob Huggins, WVU. I know all about his win total although most of those wins came in a weak conference. I hesitate ranking him this high and do so only by default. Kansas University doesn't need that much negativity, i.e. Bobby Knight.

8. Billy Gillispie, TTU. Couldn't get it done at Kentucky, 'nuf said.

9. Bruce Weber, KSU. Was successful with Bill Self's recruits at Illinois but not much since. Don't see a winner in him regardless of what happened last week.

Fortunately, this is all fantasy. Long live the King, HCBS.

Scott Grimsley 7 years, 2 months ago

Billy Gillispie huh? Looks like you did your homework.

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 2 months ago

Jerry, aside from the Gillispie/Smith mistake I like the thought that you put into this. I agree with a lot of your points. I'd place Weber a little higher, and Barnes a little lower, and Tubby Smith somewhere in between. I like the way the KSU plays. At KU, Weber could recruit better players and be dangerous. Barnes get a lot of credit for recruiting, but I'm afraid that a lot of his recruiting is based on the appeal of Austin, TX. Tubby is a good coach, he's won a 'Ship at UK with Pitino's team. He did a good job at Minn. He can definitely coach, but he was average at UK with his own recruits. Huggy is at the bottom of my list.

If I were ranking the coaches from top to bottom all things considered, my list would be much different than this, but if I were ranking the coaches that I'd want at KU my list would be fairly similar. We need a certain type of coach here and Huggins may be a good recruiter and a great coach. He's right up there with Kruger and Hoiberg in ability, but he's a poor face for the program. Bill Self is a spokesman for the university. He's always been a perfect representative of KU.

Nick Brungardt 7 years, 2 months ago

I know this is fantasy, but do you think we could get Hoiberg to leave Iowa State?

Herb Derpson 7 years, 2 months ago

Hoiberg doesnt coach defense. No thanks.

Glen Miller 7 years, 2 months ago

I will take Danny Manning, when Self leaves...... he's being groomed to do just that, I am sure.

Cody Riedy 7 years, 2 months ago

Danny is only what, not even ten years younger than Bill? So I hope that by the time Bill leaves, Danny will be too old to hire (not to old to coach, just that I'd prefer not to hire a coach who's going to retire in 5 years and have to hire someone again).

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

I think Danny is 3-4 years younger than Self.

David Morrison 7 years, 2 months ago

We should be discussing the possibilities of winning the upcoming Big 12 Tournament and going to the Final Four rather than who would be our choice for the next head coach at KU. Be positive. BS will be around Lawrence until he decides to retire from coaching....period.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

Chill out, the players and coaches are the one's who need to focus on upcoming games. There's nothing wrong with fans having fun with hypotheticals, the only thing missing is being in a bar with several pitchers around the table.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 2 months ago

Great side issue. Fantasy issues can be fun and this one surely is. Completely agree with your two top picks but I would have to drop Scott Drew below Huggins. Drew can recruit very well and he inherited a program that was basically dead in the water but I always think his teams under perform expectations, not to the level of Rick Barnes. I think I would put Huggins into the third position. I would have Barnes slide to the 7th position and have Drew swap positions with Travis Ford.

If HCBS were to leave, I would have Mark Turgeon as the first choice. He has proven he can coach at Jacksonville State, Wichita, Texas A&M and he now has Maryland ranked in the top 10 and he is already a Jayhawk.

KJ Quartermaine 7 years, 2 months ago

Billy Clyde has been out of coaching for multiple years. Tubby coaches TTU, bro

KJ Quartermaine 7 years, 2 months ago

And besides, if KU had to replace Self, why would they look to any coach in the Big 12???? My top three choices (based on age and success) would be: 1) Tony Bennett 2) Brad Stevens 3) Mark Turgeon

Trent Rose 7 years, 2 months ago

My guess is the first two wouldn't leave their current situations. But Mark Turgeon and Danny Manning would probably be on the short list.

Jerry Collins 7 years, 2 months ago

Tubby, I'm sorry I gave your job back to Gillispie. I knew I should of finished those last 2 years of grade school.

Jerry Collins 7 years, 2 months ago

KJ, it was an exercise in rating Big 12 coaches.

KJ Quartermaine 7 years, 2 months ago

And you get an "F" because you thought Billy Clyde still coached TTU

Walter Bridges 7 years, 2 months ago

An 'F' KJ? It was fantasy. You get the 'F' for taking this way to serious...

Tony Bandle 7 years, 2 months ago

SCOTT DREW Coach of the Year Candidate??!!! I almost choked on my Cheerios with derisive laughter!!!!

Building the perfect coach..Bill Self's persona, Coach K's game management, Calipari's ability to cheat and get away with it!! :).

League Title clinched, #1 Big 12 Tourney Seed clinched, #2 NCAA Seed all but set in concrete with no chance of moving either up or down, I would start Garret, Manning, Self, Pollard and Svi as a "thank you" for their hard work in practice.....give them a couple of possessions. Heck, the starters seem to always fall behind anyway, so what would be the difference!!

Robert Brown 7 years, 2 months ago

That is quite an arrogant comment about Scott Drew. Name one coach who was given a bigger mess to clean up than Scott Drew. He has developed a consistent Top 25 program at Baylor, a school that had no basketball tradition. The WV team that KU struggled to beat in OT, was blown out at Baylor last week. Scott Drew absolutely deserves to be on the list. I am surprised not to see Bob Huggins.

Suzi Marshall 7 years, 2 months ago

Drew has done a great job. Look where the BU program was when he took it over and how he was able to reload this year.

In my estimation the edge for National COY should go to Self, however the post-season performance should be a deciding factor.

A #2 seed for the NCAAs is far from a done deal. If we lose in Norman and don't win the Big 12 Tournament, that would give us 8 defeats, which could be tough.

Tom Jones 7 years, 2 months ago

We don't have to win the B12 tourney, but we'll have to make the finals if we lose to OU to keep a 2, I imagine. The overall body of work is too strong and the lack of Ellis on Saturday will be factored into the result of that game.

Trent Rose 7 years, 2 months ago

They had 9 last year going into the NCAA tournament and received a #2 seed. And Big 12 was tougher this season. Beat Oklahoma without Perry and I say a #2 seed is almost a lock.

Tom Jones 7 years, 2 months ago

Drew's gotten a little better over the years, but he is still not a good coach.

He is an amazing (and I don't use that word lightly) recruiter, however, and that's a huge part of the game.

As far as x's and o's, I'd still put him in the bottom three of the conference, as his teams still often resemble AAU teams and he has been very poor when playing against teams at or near his teams' talent level.

But as far as which of the league coaches I would hire for my ficticious program (I wouldn't want any of these guys to coach KU), Drew would have to be around fourth, I reckon.

Trent Rose 7 years, 2 months ago

Very hard on Drew. He turned around a program that was near extinction and into a team that makes the NCAA tournament on a regular basis (at least every other year). I agree on the great recruiter part, but he is a little better coach than you give him credit for. His teams have made the Elite 8 twice and Sweet 16 last season. In both of those seasons of making the Elite 8, they lost to the team that ending up winning the national championship.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

Is Coach K not a good coach? Duke has played a lot of zone this year? Is Jim Boeheim not a good coach? The man is the second winningest coach in D1 history.

Tom Jones 7 years, 2 months ago

No one questions (or I haven't seen anyone question it, anyway) that dumpster-fireness of the program when he took over.

And yes, he had a couple of Elite 8 "runs", but last year was the first season one of his teams beat a single digit seeded team (and that was Creighton). Self's teams, by way of comparison (and I realize no one's saying he's near Self's level), have beaten 10 over the same time period.

Those Baylor E8 teams ran through this gauntlet:

2009-10: (14) Sam Houston State, (11) Old Dominion, (10) St. Mary's

2011-12: (14) South Dakota State, (11) Colorado, (10) Xavier

(Before you bring up the seedings of the teams KU beat in 04 with Roy's guys or 08 with his own, remember they did win the only Final Four with all #1 seeds ;)

We all know you play who you play in the NCAA's, so that's not Drew's fault, but Baylor's defense is much harder for a low or mid or low-mid major talent level team to overcome. They're always long and athletic and most teams don't face zones more than a couple times a year.

The bottom line is that his record against teams with his team's level of talent or worse is mediocre at best. And that's what most people (and should) judge a coach by. Several of his teams looked like they had no coach at all, and several times they've badly underachieved in the league.

All I'm saying is he's still got plenty to prove before being recognized as one of the league's better coaches. All he's proven so far is that he can recruit unbelievably well to Waco and beat some teams in the tourney that...well...Baylor should be beating with an average national recruiting rank of 13 over the last six years.

I do think this year is probably his best coaching job yet, though.

Dyrk Dugan 7 years, 2 months ago

Gillispie coached TTU for one year, 2012; and resigned before the start of the 2012-13 season. His tenure there was filled with practice time limit overages, player abuse allegations, and his own health issues. He shouldn't have ever left aTm; that's when it all went south for him at UK.

Justin Kruse 7 years, 2 months ago

I just had a brief flashback to last year about this time when Joel went out with his back injury. Get well quick Perry!

"He looked like the old Jamari." That's exactly right, and that's exactly what we need going forward. Bring it big man!

Oh, and Landen's game-saving block Tuesday was HUGE!

Thomas Luxem 7 years, 2 months ago

If Bill left after this season, Mark Turgeon.

Andy Tweedy 7 years, 2 months ago

I find Jamari very frustrating to watch. THere are times when his motor seems to be just off the charts, and there are other times when his body language makes him seem disinterested. Coach maybe is indicating he's been dinged up, maybe that's the problem. But that dunk brought down the house Tuesday...more of that please!

Damian Glaze 7 years, 2 months ago

The only benefits of losing Ellis for a game is the team gets a little tougher; the team plays a little nastier; and the team scraps for everything. Ellis is a finesse player and it seems the team takes on that persona when he's in the game. Unfortunately, the offense takes a major hit with him out. I like the active hands Mickelson brings to the lineup and I love the physicality that Lucas and Traylor bring. So, if we can play the physical game against OU and keep the scoring in the 50s or low 60s I think we win this game.

On a related note, I'm really loving the intensity and edgy play of Oubre the last month or two. He's not afraid to mix it up and he's not afraid of contact at the rim. If he had a few more pounds of muscle on him he could be a beast for a two or three to try to defend.

These last two games have forced this team to take a couple shots to the chin; and that was greatly needed because this team has been soft for quite some time. This time of year it's time to get a little nasty and impose your will instead of letting teams hang around. Pending the matchup in the first round of the Big 12 tourney, this team needs a dominating win before the NCAAs. If it's TCU or KSCC then we should win by 15 or more. If it's Texas 10 or more is what it will take to build momentum and a "break your neck" attitude.

Jim Darnall 7 years, 2 months ago

Is there anyone out there that would like to see Michelson get a lot more playing time. Am I the only one that would have him in before Lucas. He certainly performed better even with less playing time. Why isn't he playing??? Michelson can score and Lucas can't. He also has better hands when handling the ball. Why isn't Self paying him more? Somebody help me out please.

Damian Glaze 7 years, 2 months ago

Jim, I hope to see quite a bit of him against OU. The coaches see a lot more of the players than we do in practices and that must be the difference. I do like the energy and activeness he brings to the lineup. I'm just not sure how good of a defender he would be with a big that stretches you out. I do think he is more aggressive and I like what I have seen in the few minutes he has played. But, in coaches I trust.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

Thus is a fun exercise because it's different than rating the best coaches because there's other factors to consider such as age.

I said in another article that the Big 12 is the deepest coaching league in the country. The ACC is more top heavy and the only one that can rival the Big 12, but the bottom of that league is pretty weak.

That said about the Big 12, there's only one coach I would hire today to run KU.

1. Fred Hoiberg, the man can coach offense like nobody's business and you give him a program where he can recruit and land 5 star athletes, there would be minimal, if any, drop off from Bill's success.

2. Lon Kruger, the man can coach. He laid the ground work for Billy Donovan's success at Florida and took the Gators to their first Final Four in 1994. He also gave Bill Self a very good roster at Illinois when he left for the Hawks. There's a couple reasons why I wouldn't hire him despite his resume. One is he has a bit of a mercenary reputation like Larry Brown of not staying in one place very long, and two is he's a KSU alum and I would have a very hard time ever justifying a KSU or Missouri alum as head coach of Kansas basketball.

3. Bob Huggins, the man has taken multiple programs to the Final Four (tthat's a short list of coaches). His teams are always physical, tough, and play good defense. He may have won the 2000 national title if Kenyon Martin hadn't broken his leg right before the tournament.

4. Tubby Smith, the man has a national title and underachieves just a little bit less than Barnes.

5. Rick Barnes, the underachieves big time, but he's still only missed one NCAA tournament at Texas (not including this year) and that's better than other coaches in the league.

6. Travis Ford, I would never hire him because he seems to genuinely dislike KU given his Missouri and Kentucky background, but I think he would have KU in the tournament on a near yearly basis.

7. Scott Drew, great recruiter and so-so X's and O's coach. It would either be boom or bust with him.

8. Bruce Weber, there would be some good years early on, but it would be a slide into mediocrity as we've seen him do at his last 2 jobs.

9. Trent Johnson, he was good at Nevada and decent at Stanford, but has gone down hill since he got to LSU. He's got TCU on the right track, but his ceiling as a coach just isn't that high.

Bud Bortner 7 years, 2 months ago

Guys and Gal, this is abit off topic, but I look to you for an answer to my confusion. I'll bet we have all seen the Big 12 television commercial "One True Champion". Each coach has a small line to speak ending with our Bill Self stating "One True Champion". My confusion is this-- Scott Drew of Baylor proclaims "10 teams that play each other twice". But then a few coaches later Trent Johnson of Texas Christian states, "Ten teams.....18 games". I have listened to this repeatedly....he does indeed say "18" games. Obviously something is wrong with the math here. Anyone able to help me out here?

Cody Riedy 7 years, 2 months ago

Because a team doesn't play itself. 1 team has to play the other 9 teams in the conference 2 times. 2x9=18. At least, I think this is what your asking, accidentally counting each team itself and thinking there should be 20 games.

Kurt Eskilson 7 years, 2 months ago

If you also played yourself twice, there would be twenty games … but since you only play the other nine teams twice each, it's 18.

RJ King 7 years, 2 months ago

What's wrong with the math is, maybe you were at The Wheel during 101?

Jim Johnson 7 years, 2 months ago

The real question in that commercial is "one true champion"? How many times have there been co-champions? That is the part that makes no sense at all. A team can beat a team twice and they still have to be a co-champion? Get real.

Humpy Helsel 7 years, 2 months ago

Probably hurts coach won Coach of the Year in 2012. Still, let's consider how many players have changed from year to year. Kansas is circled on all other Big 12 teams' calendar. Everyone craves beating us at the Fieldhouse. OK, so other years everyone says "sure...but he has the best players." So what about this year? At the start of conference everyone, players, coaches, pundits, etc., thought this was the year the streak ends. Well, it didn't and with maybe the overall least talented teams against competition in the arguably the deepest conference in America. I'm sorry...but in my more than biased opinion Bill Self should be the 2015 Coach of the Year in America.

John Fitzgerald 7 years, 2 months ago

What's more remarkable? Undefeated season or 11 Big 12 championships in a row? I rest my COY case ...

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

Considering it's been almost 40 years since a team went undefeated. Gonzaga's streak ended 4 years ago and Indiana's season occurred during UCLA's streak. I would say the undefeated season is actually harder to accomplish in this day and age.

John Fitzgerald 7 years, 2 months ago

I respectfully disagree. But I think both are quite impressive.

Robert Brown 7 years, 2 months ago

At the beginning of the year, KU was a co-favorite to win the conference and they won the conference. The streak is somewhat of a novelty which has become a source of pride for KU fans and the programs. But let's face it, other than adding a banner to the ceiling, winning a major conference in basketball is not a big deal since multiple teams are invited to the NCAA tournament.

John Fitzgerald 7 years, 2 months ago

Hmm... Tell that to the other 9 teams in the Big 12.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 2 months ago

KU was a co-favorite? Can you back that up?

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

Coaches split 5-5 between KU and Texas this year.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 2 months ago

It's Coach of the Year NOT Coach of the Decade.

John Fitzgerald 7 years, 2 months ago

How about a list of coaches to replace Self that aren't in the Big 12?

1.) Sean Miller Record at Arizona: 129-48 (.729) NCAA Tournament: 14-7

2.) Tony Bennett Record at Virginia: 106-60 (.639) NCAA Tournament: 5-4

3.) Gregg Marshall Record at Wichita State: 174-71 (.710) NCAA Tournament: 6-10, one Final Four

4.) Shaka Smart Record at VCU: 137-46 (.749) NCAA Tournament: 7-4, one Final Four

5.) Jay Wright Record at Villanova: 286-149 (.657) NCAA Tournament: 13-11, one Final Four

6.) Jamie Dixon Record at Pittsburgh: 288-96 (.750) NCAA Tournament: 12-10

7.) Mark Few Record at Gonzaga: 403-100 (.801) NCAA Tournament: 16-15

8.) Kevin Ollie Record at UConn: 52-18 (.743) NCAA Tournament: 6-0, one Final Four, one championship

9.) Larry Krystkowiak Record at Utah: 42-55 (.433) NCAA Tournament: 1-2

10.) Bruce Pearl Record at Auburn: First season NCAA Tournament: 10-8

*I didn't include any Big 12 teams because that has already been addressed and I didn't include Danny Manning because he is an obvious option. This list is just the guys I would look at to replace Self if he were to leave in the next few years. Age was also a factor in this list as you can see I didn't list any guys that are approaching retirement.

Jay Scott 7 years, 2 months ago

Bruce Pearl? Get real. No shot whatsoever, ever.

John Fitzgerald 7 years, 2 months ago

Not saying any of these guys would take the job or be serious candidates but if Self left I'd at least look at them. I'm not a professional though so don't take this as me knowing anything. Simply my opinion at this point.

Cody Riedy 7 years, 2 months ago

I understand the fun in playing fantasy college AD, but personally, even just pretending, the idea of replacing Bill Self anytime soon is anxiety-inducing.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

What the hell, I do a top 10 of non Big 12 coaches.

1. John Calipari (Kentucky), the man is the best recruiter in the country and has become a much better gameday coach. I know people tend to despise him here, but nothing has ever stuck to him. The Marcus Camby situation has similarities to Ben McLemore. The Derrick Rose thing is 100% on the NCAA and Memphis could probably sue the NCAA to get their season back.

2. Billy Donovan (Florida), 2 national titles and 4 Final Fours. The guy can coach and has 500 career wins and is not even 50 yet. He could leave Florida today and be somewhere for 15-20 years. Him and Bill Self could realistically be 1 and 2 on the all time wins list when they both retire if they coach long enough.

3. Gregg Marshall (Wichita St.), the Shockers have become a top tier mid-major and Marshall is why. He is a winner and would be a top tier coach at a top tier school.

4. Mark Few (Gonzaga), His success at Gonzaga speaks for itself and I can't imagine him being anything other than a success at a place like KU.

5. Tony Bennett (Virginia), I would hate watching the games because I struggle to watch UVA games now, but the man coaches great defense and defense wins championships.

6. Shaka Smart (VCU), great coach and when he leaves for an elite level job, he's going to become a huge superstar in coaching.

7. Sean Miller (Arizona), top level coach, and would likely have similar results to Bill Self here. I don't think his ceiling is quite as high as some of the other names ahead of him.

8. Mark Turgeon (Maryland), he'd likely be the frontrunner for the KU job if it came open today. He struggled early at Maryland, but seems to have the program in good shape now.

9. Jay Wright (Villanova), he's just a solid coach who would do a good job anywhere he's at.

10. Jacque Vaughn (Formerly Orlando), he's got great coaching background having played under Jerry Sloane, and was an assistant under Greg Popovich (also a former KU assistant under LB) and I think he would be a great college coach one day.

Tom Jones 7 years, 2 months ago

If Shaka Smart became KU's coach, I would give up watching college basketball.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

Just curious as to why? Is it because of 2011 or are you not a fan of his coaching style?

Tony Bandle 7 years, 2 months ago

Since we're goofing around, let me throw one more name out there.....LARRY BROWN!!

The guy is 100 years old bvut he can still coach, has always loved KU and will give us three or four fun year

WHY NOT!!!!!

RJ King 7 years, 2 months ago

And he could hire Tony Bennett as his assistant. The 88 year old Tony.

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 2 months ago

I'd go ahead and offer the Celtic's coach. After a couple more season's of mediocrity in the NBA a powerhouse college program will be a blue oasis.