Saturday, June 13, 2015

Jayhawks’ Mason turning heads

Kansas guard Frank Mason III (0) lifts his jersey to the crowd at the end of overtime and Jayhawks' 76-69 win over the West Virginia Mountaineers on Tuesday, March 4, 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Bill Self’s 600 basketball campers chanted “MVP, MVP” as Frank Mason III hustled back on defense after hitting his fifth three-pointer in Wednesday’s 30-minute Red-Blue scrimmage in Horejsi Center.

The youngsters — and Jayhawk players past and present competing in the glorified pickup game — obviously were impressed by the effort of the 5-foot-11 junior point guard, who scored off jumpers and driving layups alike en route to 31 points in a 95-74 victory.

“When I played against somebody, I just knew he couldn’t guard me. I think it’s the same approach Frank is taking. He’s blowing by guys,” former KU standout Sherron Collins of the losing Blue team said of the Petersburg, Virginia, native.

“I feel like he’s fearless. He’s a bulldog. He goes in, has a lot of moves to the basket, is physical, likes contact. He has a lot of stuff. It’s a joy to see him keep growing,” Collins added.

KU coach Bill Self, who played Mason a team-leading 33.5 minutes a game last season (after 16.2 mpg his freshman year), has noticed a re-energized Mason during the first week of World University Games practices.

“Frank had a fabulous year last year. He may have gotten a little tired late. We rode him pretty hard during the season, especially when Devonté (Graham) got hurt (and missed six straight games),” Self said. “Frank has really improved. Frank is better now than he was. He has fresh legs now. You think he’s an athlete during the season. You see some of the things he’s doing now and you realize what a fabulous athlete he really is.”

Mason, who is a basketball workaholic, has played a lot of basketball since KU’s season-ending loss to Wichita State on March 22 in Omaha, Nebraska.

However, the bumps and bruises he sustained during an ultra-competitive 2014-15 season have long disappeared.

“I went back home two weeks, got to see family and friends, got to see my son (Amari),” Mason said of the only time he’s spent away from Lawrence following final exams. “I got in the gym a lot. Now I’m back here ready to get started.”

Mason, who was KU’s second-leading scorer at 12.6 ppg last season (off 44.1 percent shooting; 42.9 from three), had a team-leading 142 assists against 74 turnovers with a team-leading 50 steals.

Nonetheless he feels he can do more.

“Everything,” Mason said, asked what he’s been working on. “Every part of my game, on the court, off the court being more of a vocal leader, being a better leader period, better teammate. You can always work on everything to get better,” he added.

He believes the Jayhawks will gain a lot from playing in the World University Games, July 3-14 in Gwangju, South Korea.

“We’re going to enjoy practice and try to win the tournament, that’s the goal,” Mason said. “Every game we play we want to win, no matter if it doesn’t count against our record or anything. Every game we play we want to get better moving forward. It will give us a great opportunity to be successful moving into the next season.”

Mason is somebody the Jayhawk players and coaches definitely respect.

“He’s our leader. He’s starting point guard for Kansas. You have to be a leader,” soph guard Devonté Graham said. “He leads by example. Guys feed off his energy. He does a great job of leading.”

Comments

Rodney Pain 7 years, 3 months ago

I don't know how long Collins was or is going to be in town, but what a great opportunity for Frank to be taken under his wing, even for just a short while. So much he can learn from a guy like Collins. Mario's Miracle would have been nothing without that steal and corner 3 play Sherron made. And what he did the following season with a ragtag bunch was equally astounding. We're all looking to you, Frank Mason, to get us back to the promised land this season.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 3 months ago

Rodney Crain 7 years, 3 months ago

Brilliance exhibited by the child star again. The bet with my buddies is that you are only 13 years old Brett.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 3 months ago

Classy Shannon, what is your next trick?

Shannon Gustafson 7 years, 3 months ago

You're the one trying to "trick" people into believing you know what you're talking about, not me. I don't need to ask what your next trick is though, it's quite easy to figure out what you're going to post about before you do so.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 3 months ago

Brett my simple minded friend, I am super busy selling FIFA World Cup bids right now to the power elite commenters on here. As you can imagine business is way way up, the hype machine has everyone just giddy with expectations. By the way you have won your bid for Luxembourg, congratulations thanks for your business. LUX 2070 is now the Brett McShame World Cup!

Rodney Crain 7 years, 3 months ago

Since none of you Brain Surgeons actually disagreed with my veiled point, thank you for all agreeing with me that the off season superlatives need to be given a rest.

Please continue to read and comment, you are all good for a chuckle every single time.

Matt Woolley 7 years, 3 months ago

C'mon man. Now you're just trying to piss people off. I actually thought it was funny at the beginning too. Now it just seems like you come on here to get your rocks off by pissing people off not to actually contribute to a meaningful discussion, and that is disappointing. You used to actually do that. Now all you do is attempt to make fun of people and act like you're some all knowing college basketball God. I don't want you to stop commenting, just maybe you could tone it down? I find myself on this site less and less and it is honestly because of you. And I know I am not the only one. I'm sure I will get a lashback from you about not telling you how to comment. But, soon enough, you won't have anyone to call simple-minded, clueless or whatever other description you want to use to belittle your fellow posters.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 3 months ago

Matt the drips on here that call me names all the time here just get a pass? Why?

If anyone one of these clueless wonders were paying attention I say my 2 cents and most of these brainiacs actually do not disagree with me. Check it out no one disagreed with my veiled point. They just act like childern on here and no one wants to call them out on it for fear they will also fall under their pseudo policing of the site. So when I respond to them in kind, folks like you that get that things like I posted above are really harmless, get upset with me and not them?

Why not take exception with I am off my meds, or cant read too posts they make? Why just make your point to me? Matt that will just not scour. (Lincolns word Brian for that will just not work, look it up) Why not fire your tone it down comment towards everyone? Or is that to telling "you" how you should comment?

Don't give these "respected" long time posters a pass too Matt.

ps- there plenty of simple minded clueless people, I will not run out. Here is the trick, if you don't want me to respond dont give me a reason to.

Matt Woolley 7 years, 3 months ago

They get a pass because they don't purposely get on here just to start a fight. But thank you for your response.

Shannon Gustafson 7 years, 3 months ago

No, nearly everyone disagrees with you, we're just tired of the monotony of disagreeing with all of your opinions so we don't say we disagree anymore. Just because everyone doesn't say "I disagree" doesn't mean that's the case. Most people read your endless drivel, roll their eyes, wonder what's wrong with you, and carry on with their day.

Benz Junque 7 years, 3 months ago

^^^THIS^^^

If anyone wants to know why barely anyone uses this site any more it is Rodney.

Kurt Eskilson 7 years, 3 months ago

Wake up, people. This is just one poster's way of turning the thread from whatever the article is about to being about himself. It's sad.

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 3 months ago

Rodney is expecting an undefeated season and a National Championship. You all heard it here first.

David Lara 7 years, 3 months ago

Don't like the article, Rodney? By all means, just punish the readers with your ridiculous rants. That's always the solution. Why do we deserve the brunt of your frustration? Why do we deserve to suffer?

Maybe I should see it more as a harmless, yet incredibly unnecessary, post (many would apply such a definition to most of what Rodney has to say), but I think the issue here is that when you post to a comments section, the readers understand that the post is intended for them, that you think they deserve to answer for whatever crawled up your... Keep that in mind Rodney. WE are not the cause of your angst, but it seems like you think we are. That's just how it comes across friend.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 3 months ago

What a thoughtful post. Hard to believe that with an excellent incoming recruiting class and with experienced talent already here the LJW doesn't write more negative articles about the team and the upcoming season. All of these positive articles and posts are nothing but deluded dreams. Time to rip off the rose colored glasses.

Benz Junque 7 years, 3 months ago

Eh, I seemed to miss the part in the article where there was ANY type of projection of the type of season that Mason or KU would have. You're kinda sad. really.

Glad to hear that Mason is feeling healthy and has been working hard. Having Sherron around will help but I think playing with Nic Moore up to and at WUG will help just as much. Last year was Mason's first year in the PG role and every opportunity to study from good players with more experience should help him down the road.

David Kelley-Wood 7 years, 3 months ago

Rodney Pain -

The steal, the acrobatics to save, the perfect pass to keep the play alive, the corner 3 to pull within 4...ah yes. I'd be embarrassed to say how many times I've replayed that sequence, and it's amazing every time!

Tyler Capone 7 years, 3 months ago

wow another great article ruined by...Rodney Crain

Dirk Medema 7 years, 3 months ago

Best to learn from Frank and just do a blow by.

Even Rodney recognizes - The truth hurts.

Gerry Butler 7 years, 3 months ago

LMAO, is that what that was Tyler? Lol, you know there has a time or two I have actually agreed on SOME, let me repeat myself SOME of a couple of things good ol Rodney has had to say, but this?- - - - - - -BA,HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, OMG Rodney has just hit the summit I do believe or like Shannon said off his meds again. Only thing is I'm not quite sure Rodney would know HOW to take them if he had them anyways on a serious note hope Frank can continue to improve he is becoming a very solid player for us we need that leadership, someone who can step up and be vocal if needed, I feel like that's 1 thing our guys lacked last year some one who wanted to take over be vocal. let the others know like hey get your stuff together, someone who isn't afraid to take charge as a vocal leader with the others. Just don't think it was in their demeanor, personalities hopefully Frank can embrace that this year. As for Rodney- - - BA,HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Rodney love your humor, your a stand up comedian- - - RIGHT? awesome, but right now I think you need to rest, and thanks for your input, have a great day. ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 3 months ago

Gerry when you learn what grammar is I might make it through one of your posts. Until you can actually put two sentences together, with a period, your posts look like you need medication. Serious medication. Take your own advice. I say this with all sincerity. Get help.

Brian Wilson 7 years, 3 months ago

Rodney, I too have agreed with you at times in the past. I also make a ton of grammar mistakes so usually I don't judge. But your two words, "Serious Medication." is comprised of an adjective and a noun and would not be considered a proper sentence in and of themselves!

Rodney Crain 7 years, 3 months ago

Typical Brian you let the numerous mistakes from Gerry get a pass and pick on the one I made. So thank you for being narrow minded.

You are right I need a Secretary to make sure my grammar is correct like I have when I work. You want the job? Sounds like you would be good at it!

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 3 months ago

I'm glad to hear Frank is actively trying to be a better leader. I'm hoping he's going spend as much time with Nic as possible to keep developing those leadership skills.

Bob Bailey 7 years, 3 months ago

Too much bigotry in the medical field. Hear of "not invented here". Even worse if it has ANY relationship with animals. There is an inhalant vaccine made of two viruses that are genetically aligned with cattle. Human can not catch the disease. It is made with killed viruses. It must be kept refrigerated.

Personally, have taken that vaccine, along with known friends, about 20 years. It vaccinates the receptor cells in your body. Those taking it don't even catch a cold. It lasts about 6 months. You can feel it when you take it; the result is your receptive cells get Very mildly irritated. Takes about 3 days to run its course. No other side effects.

Why is it none of the medical staff whose job is to protect our athletes, get interested? And they are going into MERS. It would be easy to protect our people!

Tony Bandle 7 years, 3 months ago

FANTASY: Frank was unstoppable and will be like this the entire season...we can count on it. REALITY: This was a scrimmage..if this was a soccer game it would be called a "friendly". Frank is showing signs of improvement; let's hope it continues through to the season.

FANTASY: Everybody agrees with everything everybody says on this site and how they say it. REALITY: We seem to piss each other off every once in awhile and it is happening more and more frequently.

FANTASY: Rodney is the ultimate touchstone, lightning rod and center target of poster reaction on this site.REALITY: Hot Rod, you are a fine "agent provocatuer" but you are a mere intern when compared to the legendary Jaybate from the previous avatar days of this site.

You oldtimers can back me up on this. Jaybate would consistently post 8 to 10 page homilies using words I think he actually invented. His sarcasm was Shakespearean in scope and poster reaction is some cases bordered on murder. I can't believe I am saying this but I do miss his points of view even his sometimes preposterous presentations.

My wonderful late Mom always taught me that what we say says what we are. We could all take a little of that advice.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 3 months ago

I have no interest in being anyone but my own person Tony. Comparing me to Jaybate makes no sense. I say benign things or make fun of things and let it go. Its the nut jobs on this site who think they can police it themselves I have an issue with. Like I am going to fold under their bad breath.

I am oldtimer on here too Tony before fb. I know Jaybate, and many others that post somewhere else now. Friends with some of them too.

For every saying there is someone who has a different perspective. Someone says turn the other cheek, in the same religion someone strikes down everyone not on a ark. Which is the right path to take? Both probably depends on what you are dealing with. These lightweights are not to be feared or by their words/actions, respected IMO.

Glen Miller 7 years, 3 months ago

It's fine to have a different perspective. Nobody is mad at you for having a different perspective. I think what irks us is that you don't allow for anyone else to have a perspective because you are too busy shoving YOUR perspective down everyone's throat if they disagree with you.It is very condescending and ignorant. You don't have to jump all over anyone who disagrees with you all the time. For being an "old timer" you sure have some maturing to do. You take the bait so easily, just as the people you are thrashing do. Maybe a little less jerk and a little more understanding will keep you from picking fights all the time. Your views are sometimes on point, but then you take it too far. I don't really read your posts much anymore, unless I want a good chuckle so I could care less...... but there are some people who don't get on here much anymore because they are tired of your whinning. If you are looking to make this site less appealing, you seem to have succeeded.

Shannon Gustafson 7 years, 3 months ago

This is exactly it. It's not the differing opinion I have an issue with, it's the delivery, and the notion that anyone who disagrees with Rodney is absolutely wrong (though his opinion is in the vast minority).

It's fine to have a differing opinion, it's not fine to act as if anyone who comments on your off the wall opinion with anything other than praise has no idea what they are talking about and need to be "enlightened" by your all knowing greatness.

If you don't like an article that praises our point guard's work ethic and play in the first scrimmage of the summer, why read it? Why comment on it? Why not just ignore it and let those who enjoyed the article comment on it? Just because YOU don't appreciate the article doesn't mean others don't. What is wrong with having optimism about next years team? You seem to have an issue with any article that has a positive tone to it. It seems like if it was up to you, only articles that only pointed out the teams perceived weaknesses, failures, and off the court issues should be written about on this site.

I was around pre FB as well, I just didn't post as much. Though jaybate had similarly "off the wall" posts at times, I never found theirs offensive because the delivery was different.

Shannon Gustafson 7 years, 3 months ago

This is exactly what pisses people off about your comments:

You said: These lightweights are not to be feared or by their words/actions, respected IMO.

What is it about us that makes us lightweights? Why are we beneath you? What makes you better than those who have a different opinion than you? Why don't the lightweights deserve respect?

The only reason we stopped respecting you is because you stopped respecting us. Give and you shall receive.

Marius Rowlanski 7 years, 3 months ago

LOL.. I agree Rodney, "Comparing me (you) to Jaybate makes no sense.".

You cannot be more correct. Jaybate used wit, insight, knowledge and intelligence while you basically resort to ad hominem attacks that lack any of those qualities.

Benz Junque 7 years, 3 months ago

Sorry, I couldn't get past the "and let it go." If there is anyone who never lets anything go it would be Rodney.

Benz Junque 7 years, 3 months ago

"My late Father liked to repeat to me - “In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks.”

The problem might be that you have failed to identify yourself as one of the jerks. When everyone finds you to be a jerk it doesn't mean that everyone is a jerk that doesn't understand your brilliance.

My father liked to repeat to me - "There's a difference between funny and just being a jerk that finds themselves funny." The test of which one you are is if anyone else thinks what you say is funny and you seem to be failing that test.

Ron Sterling 7 years, 3 months ago

You know, Benz, you reminded me of an old joke:

A woman watching the evening news sees a bulletin scroll across the bottom of the screen about a car driving the wrong way down the highway. Knowing that thoroughfare is a regular part of her husband's daily commute, she calls him up and tells him, "Honey, be careful on your way home, there's a mad man on the interstate that's driving the wrong way."

"I already know," he replies, adding, "but there's not just one of them, there's hundreds!"

I'm pretty sure we all know which posters are in which cars...