Originally published January 26, 2015 at 10:07a.m., updated January 26, 2015 at 11:59a.m.

Wichita State guard Frankamp arrested on suspicion of DUI

— Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp was arrested over the weekend on suspicion of DUI, authorities said Monday.

The 19-year-old shooting guard was arrested early Sunday after being initially stopped for failing to signal a turn and maintain a single lane, Wichita police Lt. James Espinoza told The Associated Press. Espinoza said a breath test showed Frankamp's blood-alcohol content was .186, more than twice the legal limit.

A phone message left Monday at his parents' Wichita home was not returned.

photo

Sedgwick County Sheriff/AP Photo

This undated photo provided by the Sedgwick County, Kan., Sheriff shows Wichita State basketball guard Conner Frankamp. Frankamp, 19, was arrested over the weekend on suspicion of DUI, authorities said Monday, Jan. 26, 2015.

Shockers coach Gregg Marshall and Wichita State athletic director Eric Sexton issued a joint statement Monday in which they said they were still gathering information and "will handle any discipline internally and in cooperation with any campus policies related to these types of allegations."

"We hold all of our student-athletes to a high standard," the statement said, "and take these matters very seriously."

Frankamp, a Wichita native, set city scoring records in high school and was a coveted four-star prospect. He began his college career at Kansas, where he was a role player last season but seemed to have a breakthrough moment in the NCAA tournament. He scored 10 points in a second-round game against Eastern Kentucky and 12 points in the loss to Stanford that ended the Jayhawks' season.

Frankamp was expected to contend for a starting spot this year, but instead elected to transfer when the Jayhawks welcomed several talented freshmen to their backcourt.

After a few weeks, Frankamp settled on his hometown team, which went to the Final Four two years ago and last season put together a perfect regular-season record.

Frankamp is allowed to practice with the Shockers, who moved up two spots to No. 12 in the Top 25 on Monday. He is not eligible to play this season because of the NCAA's transfer rules, but will still have three seasons of eligibility.

Comments

Waylon Cook 7 years, 10 months ago

According to some WSU fan "he brought the KU culture to WSU"

For real guys I saw that!

Doug Cramer 7 years, 10 months ago

WSU fan is no different than Mizzou fan. For whatever reasons, they feel inferior to KU.

Michael Lorraine 7 years, 10 months ago

I used to root for WSU but I've grown weary of their fan base in recent years. No ill will towards Conner but I'm glad to see the shockers lose.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 10 months ago

Talk about a series of bad decisions. For a long time I was so excited to watch him as a Jayhawk.

Bill McGovern 7 years, 10 months ago

Bad decision, Frankamp. I was talking about leaving KU. The DUI is bad too

Kent Wells 7 years, 10 months ago

To think that if he wouldn't have transferred, he might have been to tired from running the point to do stupid stuff. Maybe we lucked out after all, Mason sure has done an amazing job staying in shape, and healthy, and playing 35+ for all those games!

Jay Scott 7 years, 10 months ago

C'mon people. Frankamp made the right decision to transfer. There was no playing time in his future. Mock the WSU fan base. They deserve it. Don't mock a kid that tried to follow a dream and found that it didn't work.

Jeremiah Holcomb 7 years, 10 months ago

I'll agree to disagree on this point. Frankamp, like all of these kids, is impatient. There was playing time - he just wanted to be the star now... Looks like he's living the diva life now...

Jay Scott 7 years, 10 months ago

Impatient? How would patience help when Graham is a freshman and Mason is a Soph?

Bill McGovern 7 years, 10 months ago

Self said he would have received significant playing time this season. But as it looks right now we're doing fine without him - Greene is the sharpshooter on the team, and others have shown they can be a threat from beyond the arc. I'm just glad Graham has recovered so Mason can get a break.

Beth Ennis 7 years, 10 months ago

I was very disappointed to see him go. I think had he been patient he would have seen plenty of playing time due to the injuries. I also wonder if the DUI wouldn't have happened. Like someone has already said, he would have been plenty tired and busy with the team this year. It's an unfortunate incident, but thankful that he wasn't in an accident. I hope that this will be a wake up call for him and he will start concentrating more on basketball. I know he can't play wih them unti next year, but I hope he leans a valuable lesson from this.

Arthur Ankeney 7 years, 10 months ago

I struggle to completely agree with this, though you are probably right. Conner competed for minutes on a pretty good team last year as a freshman and came on strong in the final 2 games of the season (NCAA tournament games). He had a cool head, seemed collected enough to run the point, and had a decent shot. He lacked the athletecism that we see in Mason and Graham and there is definitely a chance he would have struggled to get a lot of minutes, but I wouldn't have counted him out. He is very talented. His biggest struggle would have been being the same year as Mason who has played so well this season. I hope he takes some punishment and works his anger off in the gym coming on strong for WSU next season.

Clara Westphal 7 years, 10 months ago

The story on Yahoo said he was arrested for not signaling a turn and staying in one lane. It said nothing about a DUI.

I liked watching Conner play while he was at KU. He saved a couple of games for Kansas with some 3 pointers. He should have been played more but Self stuck with Tyshawn Taylor instead. We all know how that turned out.

Allison Steen 7 years, 10 months ago

What? Tyshawn wasn't on the team when Frankamp was

Eliott Reeder 7 years, 10 months ago

Sorry Brett, but she can't be completely wrong and yet still correct about a point involving entirely different personnel.

Harlan Hobbs 7 years, 10 months ago

Sorry, Clara, but Conner Frankamp can't hold a candle to Tyshawn Taylor. I do wish the young man had stayed around because I think that he would have developed into a key player at some point. Think back to players like Brady Morningstar and Travis Releford and others who stuck it out and eventually probably got the most out of their abilities.

Conner is not and never was a true candidate for the pros, no matter what he and his father may think. He is a great shooter, but you need so much more to make it in the NBA. Had Conner stayed, he might have made enough of a name for himself to play in Europe like Travis Releford, Keith Langford, Sasha Kaun, and others.

Now that Conner has made his decisions, I truly wish only the best for him. I hope that he can get his head screwed on straight again and perform well at WSU.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 10 months ago

Yes..ALL kids who get pulled over while intoxicated are loose cannons. Those who made it home safely w/o getting stopped (despite being well over the .8 rule) are somehow better.

I was lucky a few time until I got my priorities straight...

Joe Ross 7 years, 10 months ago

Im not going to knock a fellow human being for being human, but drinking underage, doing it to the point that you're twice the legal limit, and then choosing to get behind the wheel of a vehicle probably speaks to a kind of immaturity. But again, he's human. No need to pile on when the kid will certainly receive just punishment from the law. Would be nice if he could use his local fame to talk to kids about the dangers of D+D, though. And I agree with Jay above who said Frankamp made the right decision to transfer. This incident should not cloud the fact that relocating was, in fact, in his best interest.

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 10 months ago

He made a mistake, and now it is up to him to learn from it. Being 19 is not that easy to be perfect so now let's see what he does. I agree, it was best for him to go because he was eventually going to get lost in the shuffle since Mason and Graham have played well and Greene is improving. We will probably bring in another guard next year so his minutes would have been hard to come by, and let's not forget that Svi should improve and get minutes next year.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 10 months ago

Nicely stated Joe. He made a mistake (ala Morningstar), got caught, and will face the consequences.

Beating out VanVleet (top 20 PG in NCAA?) and Corey Henderson will not be easy for him. He didn't exactly take the easy way out, just a smaller venue on a very good team.

Eliott Reeder 7 years, 10 months ago

He would have gotten lots of PT when Devonte was down. We would have found out if he was the real deal or not. While it may have been the right decision in the moment, his execution of said decision was poor. And hindsight being 20/20 he would have stayed if he had known Devonte was going to be hurt and that Svi would eventually fizzle a bit. Would he be getting PT now? Who knows...

Walter Bridges 7 years, 10 months ago

No arguement from me Eliott...I have thought the very same thing.

Andy Tweedy 7 years, 10 months ago

I made some pretty stupid decisions when I was 19, I just never got caught! Thank God there weren't any web forums for computer science majors!!!

Jory Collins 7 years, 10 months ago

What's the benefit of smearing him all over the internet. Most of us did stupid stuff when we were teenagers and early 20 somethings. I agree with Andy that I'm glad facebook, twitter, cell phone cameras, etc... weren't around to capture my immaturity and behavior.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 10 months ago

I think the point was that many of us (including me) have made the same mistake but were lucky to make it home without getting caught or hurting someone.

When I was at KU, the drinking age was 18 but fortunately most places were within walking range. So Fred, why not include some of the KU players who were arrested for DUI or arrested for .some other reason at bar in Lawrence.

Has anyone ever monitored their BAC up to the legal limit? It doesn't take much to reach that level. Not an excuse...simply an observation.

Rodney Crain 7 years, 10 months ago

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

I am going to decide that Conner is not KU basketball business anymore. I hope he can work out his new difficulties he has now, and is able to learn something from this. I am glad no one was hurt.

My attention is on TCU.

Clarence Haynes 7 years, 10 months ago

One doesn't wish this on anyone! Hope that he learns rom this.

Robert Brock 7 years, 10 months ago

His Dad is trying to get Conner to transfer to another jail.

Waylon Cook 7 years, 10 months ago

all about the draft. I remember hearing stories about Rotnei Clarkes dad. I mean talk about crazy! Reminded me of rumblings I had heard about Conners.

Jim Erickson 7 years, 10 months ago

This really isn't any of our business. I bet most of us on this board are happy their college screw ups were not front page news!

Joe Ross 7 years, 10 months ago

...and some of us have screwed up as adults if we're gonna be honest about skeletons. It's not as if turning 21 keeps people from making mistakes; personal, legal, and otherwise. He's 19 and did a dumb, dumb thing. When you make a mistake you take responsibility for it and move on. Fans should let him.

Janet Olin 7 years, 10 months ago

Lack of maturity/judgement from Conner. Hard to remember the 'critical thinking' part of the brain isn't fully developed in most people til 21 or so--not like college-age people are known for their judgement anyway, wherever they're located. Thank goodness no one was hurt; hope Conner learns from this, gets his act together. I wish him nothing but success.

Michael Lorraine 7 years, 10 months ago

How many drinks and in what timeframe does one have to consume in order to reach 0.08?

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 10 months ago

A lot of variables contribute to how much alcohol it takes to reach the legal limit. Alcohol content of the drink, a person's size, tolerance to alcohol, and stuff like that.

Tom Longhofer 7 years, 10 months ago

You can blow .08 just from sniffing the cork.

JD Roth 7 years, 10 months ago

Yes you can. Point 08 is next to nothing. Hundreds of would be DUI's especially every Friday or Saturday night at your nearest watering hole. Take your pick...

Michael Lorraine 7 years, 10 months ago

I know when I'm drunk. I don't know when I'm legally drunk.

Gerry Butler 7 years, 10 months ago

conner messed up, conner is a average teenage kid that went out had some fun, made a mistake as to when to stop and now he has to pay for that decision. i like so many others have stated i messed up ALOT drank, got drunk, partied, had fun later i realized how i was sooooooo lucky that nothing happened as a result of my stupidity it just i was being a typical tennage kid, again conner was being a typical teenager. I for one am not out on a witch hunt because of what he did. I challenge anyone who wants to declare they did NOTHING wrong when they were teenagers. he done wrong, per say for being a teenager and partying to much and now he will have to accept the consquences for those actions. he is not here anymore he made a mistake now it time to move on do i condon what happened? well now that I'm 60 yrs old no but he made that choice and he can't turn back the clock and undo it so let WSU do what they need to do let the Shockers worry about the Shockers and the Jayhawks worry about the Jayhawks GO HAWKS

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 10 months ago

I have zero sympathy and tolerance for what Connor did. Call me judgemental for it all you want, I've lost enough immediate family and very close friends (both from being drunk and others being drunk) because of the stupid and irresponsible decision Connor made.