Originally published October 31, 2014 at 11:52a.m., updated October 31, 2014 at 01:20p.m.

Conner Frankamp decides to transfer from KU basketball team

Self says he anticipated combo guard playing significant role this season

Kansas guard Conner Frankamp pulls up for a shot over Eastern Kentucky guard Isaac McGlone during the first half on Friday, March 21, 2014 at Scottrade Center in St. Louis.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self discusses Conner Frankamp's decision to transfer from Kansas

Kansas University men's basketball coach Bill Self speaks with the media Friday afternoon about sophomore guard Conner Frankamp deciding to transfer from the program.

Download podcast

Kansas University sophomore guard Conner Frankamp has decided to transfer to a yet-to-be-determined school, KU coach Bill Self told the Journal-World Friday morning.

Shortly after, Self discussed the matter at his first weekly media luncheon of the season.

Frankamp, a 6-foot, 165-pounder from Wichita North High School, played sparingly last season. He had hoped for additional playing time this year.

“I met with Conner and his father (Martin Frankamp) Wednesday to discuss his situation and opportunity this season at Kansas,” Self said. “On Thursday he informed me he was going to transfer at the end of this fall semester. From this point forward he is no longer part of this team and will not participate this semester so he can transfer after Christmas and have two-and-a-half years remaining when he becomes eligible after sitting out one full academic year.

“This was disappointing news to us. Conner is a fine young man, a very good basketball player and certainly part of what we had envisioned not only our future but also as an impact guy for this upcoming season,” Self said, indicating he would have been “definitely been part of our rotation” and “playing significant minutes” during the 2014-15 season, which opens Monday versus Washburn.

In fact, Self said he would have started in the exhibition on Monday night.

“We still have six other very good perimeter players. We’re looking forward to all six of those guys contributing in a big way and meaningful minutes throughout the course of the year. Conner will finish this semester academically and will continue to get academic support from us. We wish him the best in his decision making of his new school and in his future basketball endeavors,” Self said.

Frankamp, who averaged 11.0 points per game and went 7-for-14 from three-point range in the NCAA Tournament, has not said where he will transfer. Last year, it was rumored he was considering a move to Creighton.

“I’ve been thinking about this for a while now,” Frankamp said. “I love KU and I love the Jayhawks. I feel like I’ve improved quite a bit since I’ve been here. I love my teammates but I just don’t feel like it’s the right fit for me. We have many good guards and so many big-time players. I want to be at a place where I could play a bigger role.

“Coach Self has been a great coach to me, I’ve learned so much under him,” Frankamp added. “He’s not only a great coach but has been a great mentor for me. I can talk to him about almost anything.

“The Kansas fans are amazing, probably the best in the country,” Frankamp added. “I want to wish my teammates good luck. They are like family to me and I want to see them succeed. I’ll still be rooting for them to win and everything.”

Self at the news conference was asked if this was all about “playing time.”

“You know, it wasn't anything that we wanted to have happen, just like I said. He was part of our future plans, and certainly we anticipated him playing a much, much, much larger role this year. But still, this early in the season, it’s yet to be determined what role everybody is going to have. But we knew that he would definitely be part of our rotation and certainly be playing significant minutes. But he and his family felt like it was in his best interest to pursue other options for reasons that I'm sure were very true and very valid to them.”

Self said with the team having seven talented perimeter players, this actually could help some players’ frame of mind.

“We’ve lost obviously a very good shooter, but we may have also gained some chemistry issues, where now I think guys will be more locked in and more able to probably figure out what their role will be because they’ll definitely be anywhere between 10 and 20 or 10 or 23, whatever minutes there would be to go around, amongst the other guys,” Self said.

“Well, you know what, somebody was going to left out (of rotation on perimeter). We’ve got seven good perimeter players, and really to be quite candid with you, there hasn’t been a lot of separation. Sometimes you hope there’s separation, so we definitely know they’re our three best perimeter players and we definitely know these are the two best guys off the bench, and there hasn't been that yet. I was going into it thinking we had to find out a lot about our team and find out which five to seven would probably be in our serious rotation, and Conner, as of today, would have definitely been in that, without question.

"But we also don't know about our team. We don't know how Kelly (Oubre Jr.) is going to come along, Devonte' (Graham) and how Svi (Mykhailiuk) is going to come along and things like that. There’s a lot of unknowns on the perimeter.”

Comments

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 11 months ago

Darn. Since his signing I was afraid of this. Self could not sign Marcus Smart because of his commitment to Frankamp prevented him from offering his HS teammate, who was also a shooter.

Frankamp showed his steel in the Stanford game. He will be a big star wherever he lands.

Mick Allen 5 years, 11 months ago

Conner will be a good, competent player, but not great. He has too many physical limitations to be great, i. e. size, quickness, strength. A fine shooter, but will have trouble creating and getting his shot. He would have contributed, but not to the extent he apparently thinks he should. Sorry to see him leave however.

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 11 months ago

He's more than a fine shooter. The kid has the heart for the game, which can mean everything. With the talent Self has now and lined up, Frankamp had his work cut out for him.

I really like Frankamp but in retrospect, Self needs to be more hard core filling needs for the team. Not offering Phil Forte, until it was too late, in a package deal for Smart, looks to be one of Self's biggest recruiting errors ever. The thought of Smart in a Kansas uniform with the teams we had the last couple of years brings tears to my eyes.

John Pritchett 5 years, 11 months ago

Suzi, in hindsight, I'm glad we didn't sign Smart. But I do get your point.

Mick, Conner has limitations like Duke's Bobby Hurley had limitations. At this level, it's not all about genetics. Conner is a winner. This is a loss for KU.

Mick Allen 5 years, 11 months ago

John, Hurley was significantly quicker and stronger. Also there is a greater emphasis on defense than when Hurley played and Conner was always going to struggle on that end. He did have value and I hate to see him leave. Suzi who on our current team do you believe doesn't have "the heart for the game. Hopefully they all do. Please define "heart for the game".

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 11 months ago

"Heart for the game" = Desire to perform and win especially in the big moments. My perfect example would be Michael Jordan. Last years team showed a lack of heart. In the Stanford game, Black and Frankamp are examples of heart.

Losing our two best defenders, and no big big, has me really worried about this team.

Mick Allen 5 years, 11 months ago

I think you confuse not playing well with not having "heart for the game" Sometimes those with a "heart for the game" will not play well. This will be HCBS's quickest team with 94' ability. When you reach this level of competitiveness it would seem hard to not have "heart for the game" and I sincerely doubt HCBS would recruit a kid who did not have"heart for the game". Your concerns are valid and although Jack Wilson is skeptical that Self will tweak his tried and true system,I believe this year's personnel will dictate that we push the ball more offensively and pressure the ball more defensively.

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 11 months ago

I admit to be extrapolating a lot for what he showed in the Stanford game in limited minutes. Yes I do recall that exchange between Frankamp and Selden.

This is Self's team and we are very lucky to have him.

Walter Bridges 5 years, 11 months ago

Good point John...Some coaches change their approach to match their players talents while others force players to fulfill predetermined roles.

Brianna Zaleski 5 years, 11 months ago

Suzi, wtf are you talking about? Not offering Phil Forte so that we could get M. Smart is Self's biggest recruiting blunder ever? First of all, who runs the ship here? Coach Self or Marcus Smart? Big freaking deal we did not get that cancer on our team. With his attitude, he probably wouldn't have played a lot anyway. And, NEWSFLASH, Connor Frankamp IS Phil Forte. Had he stuck around long enough to see it through, he would have been the dead eye marksman that every team had to gameplan for while also having to worry about all the studs surrounding him. But instead, CF chose to tuck tail and run, looking for more PT to heal his damaged ego.

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 11 months ago

Not at all challenging who runs the program. I'm just saying Self paid a big price for Frankamp. It's all counterfactual history and who really knows. All we can hope for is to learn from the past and move on.

Walter Bridges 5 years, 11 months ago

Do you know something we don't know mick. The kid was the all-time leading scorer for Wichita area school. He must know someway to find his open shot. He was the player Self went to in the NCAA..not Tharpe, not Mason.

He is certainly taller and quicker than Keiton Page. I'm sure he'll land on his two feet and do just fine...with or without your inside knowledge.

Chris Bailey 5 years, 11 months ago

Wow. This is a huge shock to me. I litterally had to hold back a tear. I felt like Connor was gonna be a great player for us and the fact that he's a Kansas kid was huge. Maybe he'll transfer to WSU. If he does that would be the only way I would find any good in this news. Loved watching him shoot the three ball. I wish him nothing but the best. I'm just so shocked we're losing a Kansas kid.

Kyle Rohde 5 years, 11 months ago

Not that surprising I guess. The kid was always going to have trouble competing against the guys KU will keep bringing in - going to a place like Creighton or Wichita State where he can be potentially the star is a good move for him. Imagine how perfect going home to WSU would be for him.

Best of luck Conner.

Keith Gellar 5 years, 11 months ago

Yikes...out side of tarik black, he's the only other guy that showed true heart and the will to win in the Stanford game. IMO he was this years glue guy and was slated for a big season. I know the "Experts" think this isn't a major loss- but I think this will hurt KU much more. with his ability to knock down 3s when we needed during tight situations (Stanford game), he could have been the difference maker.

Mick Allen 5 years, 11 months ago

He hit 3 3s in the Stanford game and that was his contribution for the year. His season 3 point percentage was 29%. I do hate to see him go, but he's leaving because he was a realist and knew he would not take minutes from the ones he was competing with at point and the 2.

Robin Smith 5 years, 11 months ago

Wow, sad to see him go but wishing him the best.

He'll go be the featured player now somewhere. This is probably the best for his future. He's gonna get to the league in spite of the physical limitations people label him with.

Joe Ross 5 years, 11 months ago

Seriously Robin? I love Frankamp, but youre looking through some rose colored glasses.

Dillon Hayes 5 years, 11 months ago

Robin is actually right, his shooting ability can get him there alone but he has much more to his game. You will see when he gets the reins.

Joe Ross 5 years, 11 months ago

No, she isnt. Frankamps lack of both height and defense means he wont sniff the NBA. Somebody get this guy some smelling salts.

Walter Bridges 5 years, 11 months ago

Really? Morningstar made it into the D League and Connor certainly is more talented. Stick to your dead Las Vegas act, basketball is beyond your comprehension.

Walter Bridges 5 years, 11 months ago

LOL..Even Tharpe was selected for the 'D' league Tom.

Page Butler 5 years, 11 months ago

I was shocked to see this. I think it would be great though if he were to transfer to WSU. I bet he already has calls coming in from Coach Marshall. I've been a Conner fan for years and I would still love to see him play in this area.

Kyle Sybesma 5 years, 11 months ago

Couldn't disagree more. Micah didn't make a commitment to play defense his freshman year and was looking to be uncoachable. After his first semester, Micah packed his bags and left town without telling Coach Self. BIG difference between Micah and Conner.

Lance Cheney 5 years, 11 months ago

Not sure how we were supposed to detect the sarcasm in your two word post, especially since there was nothing to indicate sarcasm - you just wrote a person's name.

Walter Bridges 5 years, 11 months ago

That was sarcasm? Sarcasm: the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

I guess your high school teacher hadn't covered that.

Dale Rogers 5 years, 11 months ago

Does the year he has to sit out begin when he transfers schools or does it begin now that he's no longer on this team?

Isn't Fred Van Fleet a senior? I could see Frankamp being a big asset at Wichita State. And that's home for him.

I wish Connor all the luck in the world. He's a good kid and deserves an opportunity to play somewhere.

Jonathan Allison 5 years, 11 months ago

This is too bad. I hope the best for Conner.

I would like to see Conner transfer to WSU as well. But I wouldn't necessarily say that he'll be the star there. They've had some excellent guard play at WSU the past few years and he'll have to work his way to the top. The fans however would absolutely love having their hometown kid there, and he'd definitely be able to play a bigger role. He just was recruited over at KU. He was committed to KU well before we signed Selden, Wiggins, Mason, Greene, Oubre, Graham, etc.

I feel like he would have been a huge asset as an upperclassman at KU in the next few years. I really felt like he could be our version of Texas' AJ Abrams. He was a 5'11 star shooting guard. You gave him an inch and a millisecond and it seemed like he'd already launched a 3 destined to be buried. Or perhaps our version of Keiton Page from Okie State. Could get his own shot off the dribble even if it were from 30 feet out. Both guys were stars.

Walter Bridges 5 years, 11 months ago

I happen to agree with you quite a lot here. I think earlier in coach Self's career when he was more known for building teams (2012 for example) Connor would have been a key building block as would have AW3. Now it seems we are more into assembling teams instead of building them. If you look at the upcoming starting team for KU this year, most likely, only one player (whoever is the starting PG) will return.

Who is returning from last year starting team other than an underperforming Perry Ellis and Wayne Selden? Jamari Traylor and Frank Mason are the only two players with significant experience.

Who will be next? My guess, Brannen Greene.

KJ Quartermaine 5 years, 11 months ago

We never got away from Self's physical style of play. What happened was, we experienced heavy turnover in the starting lineup from the 2012-13 team to the 2013-14 team. And, the rule changes, where a foul is called every 5 seconds. Conner had nothing to do with not playing physical basketball. Get a grip

Jack Wilson 5 years, 11 months ago

KJ: I'd disagree .. Tharpe, Wiggins, CF, Ellis. All finesse guys. Embiid certainly wasn't a physical player. This is a clear turnover in the attitude and mindset. Self's system -- to work at an optimal level -- requires a certain type of player. Self ain't changin' to match his talent.

That said, all those guys would be even better in a different system. Not bad players. I think CF could be a freaking stud in the right situation. Hope he gets to that system.

Walter Bridges 5 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, but you just mentioned four of last year's starting five. If Self isn't changing to match his talent (which is what I think most good coaches do) then why did he recruit them?

What did we get from last year's team other than the first and third lottery picks?

Jack Wilson 5 years, 11 months ago

Very good question .. I think Self should recruit guys to match his system. Oubre and Alexander seem to fit that bill. Finesse guys just don't.

We struggled last season trying to play the way Self wanted the game played. The type of personnel was a big reason for that.

Sometimes, the highest rated player isn't the only answer.

KJ Quartermaine 5 years, 11 months ago

I thought Conner looked good in the NCAA Tournament last year. Based on that, I felt he would at least get the opportunity to begin the year with heavy minutes. Clearly, that was not going to be the case

Lance Cheney 5 years, 11 months ago

This is a huge blow for us not this year but a year or two down the road. He's the type of 4-year player that would've been that rock for us in his Junior and Senior years. I hope Self knows what he's doing with all these one-and-dones, because I sure as hell don't. We're turning into Kentucky 2.0, and I can't say I'm loving it.

Kristopher Marshall 5 years, 11 months ago

Strange timing since he'll have to sit out a year now after completing the fall semester. He must have been a clear cut number three at the PG position. Graham seems be the PG Self has been looking for the last few years.

Best of luck to Mr. Frankamp. As a Wichita native, I've followed him for years and always hoped he'd flourish here at KU. My money says he'll be joining Danny and the Demon Deacons at Wake Forest.

John Pritchett 5 years, 11 months ago

I really believe this is a mistake for Frankamp. If he has the potential I, and more importantly, Coach Self, believes he has, then he'd be a star at KU. This seems like he's lost the confidence that he can be a great player. He's going to another school so he can be the best player on a mediocre team. But he's selling himself short. By his senior year, he could be one of the best players on one of the nation's best teams.

In the long run, at KU, he'd be competing with a lot of very good players who will be one-and-done, two-and-done, and by his senior year, like Jeff Withey and so many other great KU players, he'd be the confident, experienced starter that the younger players are competing with for playing time. That's the vision I have for Conner. I wish he shared my confidence in his abilities. I know Coach Self does.

KU is a program tailor made for guys like Frankamp. KU brings in hot talent year after year, but they also develop guys like Frankamp, and it's guys like Frankamp, as upperclassmen, who make the Jayhawks great. They give us stability and consistency. I'd rather have guys like Frankamp than one-and-dones like Wiggins and Embiid. And I guess that's what bothers me most about this. Are we becoming a program of 1 and 2 year players? Another Kentucky? I sure hope not.

Anyway, good luck, Conner.

Gerry Butler 5 years, 11 months ago

it says that in the article conner and his dad talked to coach self about his situation and opportunity this season. it COULD BE that coach was straight up more then likely he would be pushed for minutes, at either position. could be that our point guards have develop a little faster then what coach had inticipated mason and graham, and then could be with fighting for time with Wayne, Brennan, Kelly, and not even tryin to pronounce the other freshman, maybe just to much . hate to see him go, had heard rumblings before if we had a transfer it would probably be connor and like a lot of others it wouldn't surprise me if he wnt home to Wichita and played for WSU probably be a good fit. could get quality time there he will be fine and do fine will miss him though wishing him good luck

Waylon Cook 5 years, 11 months ago

Sad day having upperclassmen and young talent got us the 08 title. No clue how we are ever going to build a team like that again.

Ben Schwartz 5 years, 11 months ago

I said it when AWIII transferred: These are the types of players we want on the roster when we are bellyaching watching the 5 best players on the team fall apart because of high expectations and weak effort.

This is a big deal in my eyes. This kid bled Crimson and Blue and even performed admirably last post season, yet he didn't feel important enough on the team. Several posters wanted him as the STARTING PG simply because of his care of the ball and clear love of the game. I don't want to lose any more players like CF and AWIII.

Ben Schwartz 5 years, 11 months ago

Thanks Suzi.

If Conner goes somewhere and becomes a Brady Heslip/Phil Forte/Spike Albrecht/Ron Baker I'm going to be pretty irritated with our loss (happy for CF though). Conner IS one of those players, we just missed the boat on making him FEEL like he is that player on our team.

On the bright side, perhaps Svi can be our Luke Hancock.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 11 months ago

Very odd timing. You transfer after the spring semester or before the fall semester. He cost himself a semester, and if he goes to WSU, those fall games are more important.

I think it does hurt early, you can't put together an all-star team that has not played a game together and expect to be great right away. Just look at the Cleveland Cavaliers last night.

Brianna Zaleski 5 years, 11 months ago

Very disappointed in CF. You don;t have to look farther than T. Releford for inspiration: Come to KU as a high recruit (not 5 star, but still highly recruited), sit the bench your Freshman year but remain a good teammate. Sophomore year rolls around, see that you're probably not going to get the playing time you want, but Coach is insistent that you are part of his plans going forward. So you RED-SHIRT, take another year to learn the system and push your teammates. Have increasingly stronger Soph, Jr. and Sr.year campaigns which leads you to a professional contract somewhere and forever loved by Jayhawk faithful. Instead you pu$$ out and transfer somewhere else, have to sit a year anyway now, and play on an inferior team where you might be the star. But at what cost?

Mick Allen 5 years, 11 months ago

Well stated Brianna. Also I'm curious how much of a role Conner's dad played in this decision. Was it Conner's impatience, or his dad's that led to his leaving.

John Boyle 5 years, 11 months ago

You don't know Conner. This was probably the toughest decision of his life. He bleeds crimson and blue. This decision came after a talk with Self so it must have been indicated to him that his playing time would be limited or else he would have stayed.

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 11 months ago

This is whole business of Frankamp leaving will have some legs. I can certainly see the Frankamp point of view from last season. However, the timing of this and some of the rumors floating are not good. I'm sure there are two stories to very real truths, However, certain point people need to realize this is no democracy or equal opportunity situation. Self runs the program and it's his job to make calls on the style of play and who plays.

Titus Canby 5 years, 11 months ago

I was thinking of Releford too. And Reed. Neither played much freshman year, but both became great 4-year players. Give me a Releford or Reed (or 4-year Frankamp) any day over any OAD.

Conner's leaving makes me sad. But I hope he's incredibly successful wherever he goes.

Bill Jacobson 5 years, 11 months ago

Very sad news. As we have seen over the years, Self picks his favorites and if you are not on that list, you are picking up scraps. Clearly, Connor was not getting any indication he was on that list.

Trent Rose 5 years, 11 months ago

It's funny how his "favorites" are the ones who are the better players. Andrew White III was a good player, but clearly he didn't produce any results. Self plays who he thinks is the better player and who he thinks gives the team the best chance to win.

Bill Jacobson 5 years, 11 months ago

Better players? Many games are won on the margins. It's not the obvious stars (Tier 1 guys) I was referring to. It is those 6th, 7th, 8th rotation guys that make the difference and the skill level that separates them is very, very small. So when coaches make decisions on who gets more time it usually is less about the players separating themselves from a skills perspective and more about what styles or types of players the coach is comfortable with. And just because the coach is more comfortable with one guy over another doesn't always mean one player is better than the other. And no coach gets it right every time either. Time will tell if he got it right this time..

Jack Wilson 5 years, 11 months ago

Trent: Look at the start of last season. White produced. And he looked pretty darn good. Don't disagree with the rest of your post, but White has produced.

Walter Bridges 5 years, 11 months ago

White was exactly the type of player that Self would use to build a team capable of making a deep run into the NCAA. Connor is the second top 50 recruit to head elsewhere. Not sure what's going on.

Mick Allen 5 years, 11 months ago

Self "picks his favorites" based on who he thinks gives him the best chance to win, as any successful coach does.

Kevin Whelan 5 years, 11 months ago

Connor... Wishing you the best in whatever you do. Will miss you! You'll be a success and positive addition to any team you play for. I pray for a successful transition for you. The Lord bless you in every way! Peace!

Brianna Zaleski 5 years, 11 months ago

He's a freaking sophomore! Pay your freaking dues like everyone else! You were not a 5 star recruit that was going to come in a get 20 min as a Fr. But had you stuck around and maybe even Red-shirted, you would have been a MAJOR contributor on a top flight program in a couple of years. Fool

Joe Ross 5 years, 11 months ago

The backcourt was just too crowded. Greene, Graham, Oubre, Mason, and Frankamp couldn't all co-exist. And that's after moving Selden. Something had to give.

Trent Rose 5 years, 11 months ago

A very selfish decision at this point in the season. If he had done it after last season, or waited until after this season, I would have had no problem with it. He is going to be a very good player somewhere, and probably average 10-12 points per game in the right system. The reason it's not the right "fit" is because he knows he will not play 25 minutes per game and that's what he wants. He wants to play.

Erich Hartmann 5 years, 11 months ago

Decisions, decisions. Frankamp, after putting up insane stats in Wichita-league highschool play, just doesnt have the patience to be a glue guy. Being daMan in high school, doesnt mean you are daMan in high, elite, Div.1

Playing at the college level is about height, hops, and size to bang in BillSelfBall. Connor Frankamp has NONE of those attributes. Oh, but he does have heart, but not enough to stick it out for the most storied program in Div.1. See how the impatience to be a star overruled that little fact? Face this cold fact, my fellow Jayhawks: CF has more heart for his mpg than he does for KU. The article and his own decision says so, point blank.

On the bright side, this whole development tells us Devonte Graham is really good, as he clearly beat out CF. Please leave out the Fred VanVleet comparisons, as Fred can attack and penetrate, and is close to 190lbs. There isnt any physical comparison unless you are just looking at height. Yes, CF could go to WSU as a small 2guard, but he'd be battling 6'3 Ron Baker.

More perspective: 6ft Jeff Hawkins was called the best player on the team by his own KU teammates, but he couldnt get any mpg either. Its about matchups. What happenned to Fred VanVleet against KY? He got swallowed up by the 6'6 Harrison twins, who decided to show up that very game, each dropping 20pts, as he was powerless to stop them, bad matchup. To me, Frank Mason is another VanVleet, tough, physical little warrior, not unlike Sherron...but how is Connor Frankamp like ANY of those sub-6ft guys? Reality is those same sub-6ft guys would eat his lunch, as this isnt Wichita-league high school.

I hope Connor Frankamp finds what his heart really desires (more mpg). He coulda/woulda/shoulda been a "star" in the MVC, or similar midmajor conference.

Let's also not forget the tough physicality that is Bill Self Basketball, as you all have bore witness to the last 10yrs, right? And we have been calling last year's squad of youngsters as the softest Self squad in 10yrs, something had to change, but CF wasnt going to morph into another physical specimen.

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 11 months ago

Geezzz....you make some good points. Self was counting on Frankamp this year but it seems that was not enough for him and/or his dad.

Billy Derringer 5 years, 11 months ago

What have i missed...were you a team guy? You were one injury away from being in the rotation for big minutes..I just dont get it these days, you are getting a great education at the mecca school of basketball. Even if you didnt make the nba after your senior year theres no doubt that you would have been paid from someone to play a damm game..An still be a part of the family that strectes many continents..You made a mistake Conner, is it better to score 16 a game at a low level school or avg. 8-9 points at kansas your JR. SR..years at kansas, an now never ever come back to all the greatness that happens at kansas, I dont put this on Self, I put this on kids not wanting to pay there dues an earn something, seems these kids now all want things just handed to them...what a damm shame. RCJH

Damian Glaze 5 years, 11 months ago

I agree with Brianna and Erich. The ego got in the way of a bright future. We all know what happens when guys transfer from KU. They may go and contribute somewhere else, but they pretty much fall off the radar as someone headed toward the NBA. There may have been one or two transfers out of here in the Bill Self era that have made to the pros. People that transfer here have a better pro career than those that leave. Connor's decision is very short-sighted. He must have felt he couldn't compete against the current backcourt competition. A true competitor goes out and works their way into the rotation. Disappointing and I frankly don't care what happens with his career if he isn't a Jayhawk.

Erich Hartmann 5 years, 11 months ago

Want to talk about "heart"?

Let's talk about Russell Robinson, who shelved his own offense, decided against transferring, and tried to give the team everything it needed to be better. He delivered.

Let's talk about Thomas Robinson, who played the day after his mom died. And then his grit along with another never-say-die-guy (Tyshawn) fought all the way to the NC game. That champ game run taught each opponent that you could never count those guys out, not quitters. Oh, and remember the Final Mizzou game in AFH, that was all TRob and Tyshawn.

And let's talk about Sherron Collins, who had heart big enough to come back his senior season, as he certainly would have been a draft pick after his junior season. Unfortunately, he played hurt the 2nd half of his senior season, and hurt his own stock, while he was trying to help KU. Heart.

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 11 months ago

geezz...another good post. I'm having a dish of "heart" for dinner tonight before the kids come out.

Erich Hartmann 5 years, 11 months ago

More KU perspective: 6'3 Brady and 6'3 Reed had "heart", But they also had 185+ weight, length to guard with, and each also possessed a decent 3gun. But they only played because there wasnt better talent ahead of them. And those 2 Kansas kids outclass Connor Frankamp. Ron Baker also outclasses Connor Frankamp. Reality.

Spun differently: Connor could have been a scout-team assassin like a Heslip or Keiton Page, and made our starters better at guarding & stopping a shooter like that. But no...it isnt about making KU basketball better for CF, dont talk about 'heart for KU' in the same sentence after we now see where his true heart lies. If he "just wants to play", then go, by all means, and play somewhere.

Devonte Graham+Frank Mason are about to make us all forget who Frankamp is, evidently...according to the mpg forecast by Bill Self. Thats all you need to know, isnt it.

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 11 months ago

Ok Erich, I've had enough "heart" pie for one posting. Points well made. I had my heart set on seeing the Frankamp guy that showed up for the Stanford game.

Len Shaffer 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm shocked by this transfer more than just about any other one.

On the other hand, I'm not at all shocked by the entirely predictable bitterness coming from a portion of the KU fan base.

Folks, there's nothing to be bitter about. It's easy for us to sit here and dictate what CF SHOULD do, but it's HIS life and HIS college career, and if he would rather go somewhere where he can play more, more power to him. If someone really loves to play and wants to be out on the court as much as possible, that doesn't necessarily make him selfish or not a team player, it just means that he wants to enjoy as much of his college experience as possible while on the court.

Once someone is a Jayhawk, they are a Jayhawk for life, even if they leave, and I wish CF nothing but the best.

Mick Allen 5 years, 11 months ago

Well thought out Erich. You have correctly pointed out the limitations in Conner's game.Your comparisons to Mason, VanVleet and Sherron are on point and valid. Those 3 all possessed the ability to beat their defender off the bounce and create looks for their teammates. Playing more minutes now was more important to Conner or his father or to both than playing a supporting role now while he developed physically. Defense will always be a challenge for Conner as he doesn't have the quickness to keep a quick point guard in front of him nor the size or strength to guard a 6'4" 2 guard. If you don't understand what is required to play the point, neither do I.

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 11 months ago

This thing really got the rumor mill rolling. I'm hear the Frankamps wanted Self to "make a commitment" to develop Connor. I'm not sure all that meant but it's a well know fact the family did not like how Self yanked him right away for missing his lone shot. Self has a lot of 1s and 2s lineup. Apparently Dad Frankamp was told his boy would be "daMan" if he transferred elsewhere.

Jocelyn Kennedy 5 years, 11 months ago

I am so disappointed at this news - I agree with Damien " People that transfer here have a better pro career than those that leave." Hard to believe that Tarik would have had the same chance at the Rockets spot had he not been a Jayhawk. AND he sure has the heart! Conner could easily have been another really great senior contributor with all he would have learned in four years. As mentioned, you never really know the influence parents have - I always felt X wanted badly to stay. And after hearing how awesome Conner was in high school - I was always expecting more from him than 29%. Still hoping for a really hot outside shooter. I miss Terry Brown.

Mike Riches 5 years, 11 months ago

On a personal level, I'm sad to see Conner go. I'm a fan of his and wish him the absolute best.

From a pure basketball standpoint, it's not shocking that one of our perimeter players is leaving, though the timing is...interesting. 7 outside guys who can really play just wasn't going to work out, and as Self alluded, could have created some chemistry issues. So I ask the question, who would you rather see go (again strictly speaking basketball)?

Selden: Definitely not Mason: Probably not...Frank may not be as pure of a shooter as CF, but is a better defender, and brings a lot of toughness, something this team will need. Oubre: Probably not...although we haven't seen him play a real game yet, his potential to contribute this year is very high, plus he's scary long, which will create more problems for opposing offenses. Graham: Maybe, but probably not. If Graham is as good of a leader as everyone says he is, and if he's a 3+ year guy, I think he will be a major part of this team's success. Greene: Maybe...Greene didn't impress me too much as a freshman, but neither did Conner for most of the year. If Greene makes the improvements he needs to, I think we'll be very glad he's still in a KU uniform. Svi: Maybe...here's the biggest question mark in my opinion. But he's very long and tall. Maybe he's the odd man out this year but a major contributor next year? Maybe he really gets it this year, and surprises us all? Maybe he decides to transfer to Wichita State???

At the end of the day, I guess this news is probably not the worst thing that could happen to this team, but I will definitely miss seeing CF in crimson and blue. Best of luck to him!

Jack Wilson 5 years, 11 months ago

It is, and always will be, a battle for scholarships on this team. A war of attrition. We knew a transfer was coming, just didn't know when. Too many good players, really, and not enough PT to go around.

We have lost three "finesse" players from last year's team .. Tharpe, CF, and Wiggins and a near finesse guy in Embiid. All fine players. But not exactly fitting the Self-ball mode. The only finesse guy left is Ellis.

As much as I like CF, this is a good thing for all involved. Personally, I hate the OAD thing. But OAD had nothing to do with this. This was good old fashioned competition.

The best players for Self-ball need to win the jobs. This is good news.

Aaron Paisley 5 years, 11 months ago

The timing of this just doesn't add up to this decision being exclusively about playing time to me. I really believe there is something else involved because of the timing of this such as academics or some other factors at play.

There's generally two windows when transfers happen because of PT issues, usually between Thanksgiving and Christmas (Jeff Withey timeframe), and during the offseason before the new school year starts (AW3 timeframe). I don't know if we'll here the full story, but 5th is just has much more of Naadir Tharpe feel to it, than an AW3 feel to it to me.

Scott Roulier 5 years, 11 months ago

I don't see this as a strange time. I wish Conor well and hope he finds a place where he can be a big contributor. He needs to go to a school IMHO that plays a methodical style of basketball and allows him to play zone. He is an excellent shooter (not so much in spot play, but he can shoot), but is a defensive liability in a man to man scheme.

I can't say that I'm surprised to see Frankamp go after hearing Self's positive comments about Graham. Conor came in to compete and saw the handwriting on the wall as far as playing time. I think a Missouri Valley school would be a great fit, unless he prefers playing at a Nebraska or Texas Tech close to home. He will help someone down the road, much like Jeff Withey.

KJ Quartermaine 5 years, 11 months ago

Most of you seem to be forgetting, it wasn't just back court competition Conner was nervous about, it was an overall log jam related to the rotation. I think the news of Conner leaving is a plus for Brannen Greene. I think BG benefits the most from a playing time perspective

Rodney Crain 5 years, 11 months ago

Ok NOW can we put an end to CF starting at PG?

There is a lot more to the story here, timing is way way off. You know Self with every recruit tells it straight, you will have to earn PT. Why do you make this decision now? Strange.

I do not mind him leaving, wish him all the best I am sure he has a plan.

I do mind there are very few guards left in the TOP 85 and KY will be first choice for those in the Top 20. We have two Scholarships open, probably four next year.

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 11 months ago

Doesn't seem like he had little to lose and much to gain by holding off this decision till the semester break.

Yes, there is more to the story. Perhaps the team chemistry thing Self mentioned had something to do with it.

Michael Sillman 5 years, 11 months ago

I would guess that Frankamp's decision was not made just because of this year's competition at guard. With Self's new found success at recruiting one and dones, every upperclassman on the team has to be concerned about a super freshman forcing them to the bench.

Good luck to Frankamp. As others have said, I hate to see Kansas kids leave.

Greg Lux 5 years, 11 months ago

Frankamp is a great lose in my opinion and I am now concerned about Greene. It he doesn't get some quality PT he could be gone also... I like many don't think OAD's are all that great. For all the good Wiggins did he was mostly a no-show in the Stanford and numerous other games last year. I think KU needs players like the Frankamp's and Greene's who is be here 3 to 4 years to build their team around.

KJ Quartermaine 5 years, 11 months ago

Barring injuries to others, somebody was going to lose out big on playing time this year, and despite what Self said earlier today, I think it was going to be Frankamp

Bud Stagg 5 years, 11 months ago

Too small and slow for defense, too slow on dribble, can shoot 3's. = one dimensional player. I think this fact became evident the first two weeks of practice.

Freddie Garza 5 years, 11 months ago

Something seems really fishy about this to me. If he ends up at WSU, I'm going to be very suspicious of Greg Marshall.

Joe Ross 5 years, 11 months ago

Why? Because going home and getting to play in front of your friends and family for a good team while getting more PT is not an attractive option without coach interference?

Geez.

Brian Skelly 5 years, 11 months ago

It's called writing on the wall folks. If Conner couldnt handle the other guards in practice, how was he expecting to beat them out to play? He wasnt. I agree he should bide his time, but that his decision. Best of luck, but wish he'd stayed. But I get it.

Joseph Bullock 5 years, 11 months ago

I said in a post, the other day, that Conners dad was the problem, and that they were threatening to transfer last year, if he did not get more playing time. Having a meeting at this time of year, with his dad, I would think, says it all, if after that meeting, he transfers. even though Coach Self told them he would be in the rotation, and a major part of the team. if Conner and his dad want him to be the star of the story, then I am glad he is gone. he is not a 'Team Player'! He is a prima dona (or however you spell it--lol). if you are not tough enough, to prove you can earn the minutes, you 'DON'T HAVE HEART'! Playing time, at any great program, is like Trust-it is earned, not given!!! look at Tyrell Reed- he earned his playing time, and ended up being a very, very, good player. did he play right away? absolutely not! did he quit? absolutely not! Enough said!

robert rasdon 5 years, 11 months ago

Im still shocked over conners decision...he needed to keep working with Hudy and Self to be the best all around player he could be....but being a wichita native and watcging him in HS ..... im sadden to say i think this is a case of Daddy knows best...he was the star in wichita after perry ellis went to college...i just was always worried that when he came to KU he would be undersized to compete aganst serious athletes....i think his best move would be to go to Wichita State...while they have the nations eyes on the school plys he could stand out better in the Missouri Valley.