Thursday, January 22, 2015

Keegan

Column: Obama provides advice

President Barack Obama left this note on Kansas University softball player Morgan Bohanan's locker, Thursday, Jan. 22, 2015. Obama used the team's locker room to prepare before his speech in front of thousands at Anschutz Sports Pavilion.

Alicia Spack, director of operations for the Kansas University softball team, let the players know via text Tuesday that their locker room would be off limits Thursday because it was going to be used as essentially the green room for the president of the United States, before making his speech at Anschutz Pavilion.

Morgan Bohanan, a freshman infielder from Goddard, was told by a couple of her teammates that a Secret Service agent told them, “Why don’t you write him a note?” So several players did just that.

Katelyn Schumacher wrote, “HI MR. PRESIDENT — hope you enjoy our fine establishment!” At the bottom of the note, which was posted next to an American flag, she wrote “Sign here,” and left a line on which she wanted him to leave his autograph. President Barack Obama obliged.

Sophomore designated hitter/right fielder Lily Behrmann, a lefty, as is the president, also wrote.

Her note, tucked into a mirror, in part read, “Dear Mr. President, I hope you are able to read this. I just wanted to say thank you for everything and being able to come to our school! My mom absolutely adores you!”

Bohanan wanted more than an autograph.

“I didn’t want my note to be like everybody else’s. I figured if I’m going to write a note, I’m going to try to get something out of it,” Bohanan said.

So she wrote, “Mr. President, I’m a big fan! (The word ‘big’ was underlined). Can I have a little quote for motivation this season? Advice? Anything will help! Thank you!”

The president responded “Dream big!” and signed his name.

“I figured if anyone has some good advice, it would be the president of the United States,” Bohanan said. “I wanted to make my note unique.”

Bohanan said it was “a shock,” to see that the president had responded. She then proved she took his advice to heart when asked what big dream she had for this season.

“My biggest dream, of course, would be to win a national championship,” she said.

That’s big, all right, but is it realistic?

“Oh yeah,” Bohanan said. “I’m confident we can. Our team works extremely hard, day in and day out and we have the talent to do it. We just have to put all the pieces together.”

Bohanan’s life dream is every bit as American as striving to be No. 1.

“I just want to be as happy as I can be and be as successful I can be,” she said. “Of course, good health, hopefully a happy family and a good job, just be an average person who is happy in life.”

What a beautiful dream, so well stated.

Comments

Doug Cramer 7 years, 7 months ago

Unfortunately this country won't be able to "dream big" for long if Obama and the rest of congress keeps up their spending habits. We're now $18.1 trillion in the hole.

We were roughly 9 trillion when Obama was elected.

P.S. I'm neither Republican or Democrat.

Chris Bailey 7 years, 7 months ago

You're spot on no matter the party. The spending is out of hand and as well all know once it starts it just snowballs. How long before we are bankrupt? Raise taxes on the wealthy. Raise them for me I'll make due I pay in 26% on my taxes every year with write offs. I'm guessing if we bumped everyone up 1% that would make a huge difference. Make the super rich pay at least that 26%. I don't think they should be taxed at 40 or 50% but they need to be paying at least what the middle class does! And I am conservative on many issues but moderate on many as well. I have enough of a grasp I can see both sides. Far left and far right are a bit extreme.

John Proctor 7 years, 6 months ago

Not sure where you got your numbers. The federal deficit is now $483 billion, which is lower than it was in 2008, the year before Obama took office. That's still a lot, but considering we just exited the worst recession of any of our lives, it's pretty amazing that the deficit is actually currently lower.

Micky Baker 7 years, 6 months ago

The national debt is up to more than 18.1 trillion and was under 11 trillion when Obama took office. Not one dime has been cut either. Doug did not mention the budget deficits. The debt will at least double under Obama. At least double.

John Proctor 7 years, 6 months ago

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The national debt has historically gone up every year of our lives. The deficit is a much more accurate gauge of our economic health, as it takes into consideration our income as well. We've now seen the deficit skyrocket over the last six years during the recession - that's what happens during recessions - and frankly it's amazing that we now already have a smaller deficit than before it started. I'm not saying this is directly attributable to President Obama's policies (though I tend to think it is, at least in part) but it's silly to use the national debt to ride Obama, or Congress for that matter.

Chris Bailey 7 years, 6 months ago

Regardless, we're 18 trillion in the red. The economy is certainly improved it couldn't have been much worse in 2008 ish. The deficit may be 483 billion but we're digging so much farther in debt each and every day. It's not just democrats is congress in general. The point Doug was making is we're in the hole. Nothing more.

Harlan Hobbs 7 years, 7 months ago

You are correct Doug. Nothing more needs to be said.

Jack Jones 7 years, 6 months ago

Keep your effing political views off this sports site ~ you just can't resist the temptation to pontificate, can you?

Micky Baker 7 years, 6 months ago

Why do you have a problem with this exactly?