Monday, December 7, 2015

‘Svi’ slumping from three

Kansas guard Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (10) pulls up from the corner for three against Harvard guard Patrick Steeves (10) during the first half, Saturday, Dec. 5, 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Svi Mykhailiuk sizzled against Chaminade, sinking six of 11 threes and scoring 18 points in Kansas University’s Maui Invitational opener on Nov. 23.

Since then, however, the 6-foot-8, 195-pound sophomore from Ukraine has sunk just five of 21 threes in four games, including one trey in six tries in Saturday’s 75-69 victory over Harvard.

“It was ‘in and out’ on a couple shots. I think it was (a) soft touch. I’ll keep shooting and get my confidence back,” Mykhailiuk said.

He was able to muster seven points Saturday, taking it to the hoop for two baskets.

“I’m trying to be more aggressive, trying to go inside more and get easy layups. I think it will help the team,” said Mykhailiuk, who credits the 15 pounds he put on since last season for giving him the confidence to take it to the basket.

“Last year, I was not that strong. I was kind of lightweight. Now I’m getting stronger, (am) kind of faster. I try to use my weight and speed to go inside.”

For the year, Mykhailiuk is averaging 9.1 points a game off 43.6 percent shooting. He has made 12 of 34 threes. The 1-of-6 three-point outing Saturday dropped his three-point percentage from .393 to .353 in one game.

“My field-goal percentage was not good. We won the game. That’s what’s better,” Mykhailiuk said, noting, “We played pretty good ‘D.’ We did turn them over a lot of times (19). Defense helped us win the game.”

KU coach Bill Self likes what he has seen from Svi this season.

“I think he’s totally bought into the ‘we’ concept instead of ‘me,’” Self said. “I think he’s matured a bit. He’s still the 34th-youngest player in college basketball, or something like that (at age 18). Think of all the freshmen out there (older than him) ... he’s still a baby. But he’s grown up quite a bit and matured quite a bit.

“He has a good stroke,” Self added. “He’s a good shooter but not quite pure yet. He could become a pure shooter, not far from the Brannen Greene level. Brannen’s about at pure as I’ve coached. Svi’s not quite there yet. His thoughts are good. I don’t think his execution is always great. He thinks the right plays but gets sped up, turns over at too frequent a pace (eight turnovers, 10 assists). He just turned 18. He’s going to be a great player.”

Mykhailiuk said he and his teammates learned a lot in hanging on to beat a pesky Harvard team that rallied from a 16-point first-half deficit to tie the game in crunch time.

“It was a tight game, so it showed us who we are. We needed that game to see how we are going to play in a tough situation,” Mykhailiuk said. “I think it was everybody (who stepped up late). We tried to be a good team and talk on defense and talk to everybody and get the stops.”

Lynette in town: Self was thrilled former Jayhawk great Lynette Woodard was honored at both the men’s game Saturday and women’s game Sunday.

“She is awesome,” Self said. “To think (her) high school, Wichita North, you have Barry Sanders, arguably as good a running back ever, and Lynette Woodard, arguably as good a women’s basketball player ever and was the best women’s player in the world at the time she was playing. Nancy Lieberman I’m sure would agree she (Woodard) was as good as anybody. More so than that, she’s a sweet lady, great heart and personality, loves KU obviously.

“Everybody knows she’s the first women’s Globetrotter ever,” Self added. “This is back when the Globetrotters were the Globetrotters. We have a lot to be proud of with her time at KU.”

Comments

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 11 months ago

Mykailiuk has not done a whole lot to put BG's minutes in jeopardy during his suspension period. For a great season, most Kansas fans probably still believe it's BG's long ball that will have a material impact on the team's performance.

Sure Mykailiuk's added strength and ability to take it to and finish at the rim are super encouraging, however, his eneffective 25 minute problematic Harvard line goes beyond the 1-6 from behind the arc. His one turnover in 25 minutes is not bad but only one rebound with no assists, blocks or steals doesn't earn much PT when BG returns.

Gerry Butler 6 years, 11 months ago

you seem pretty confident that BG is automatic when he is finally able to return, its to bad BG had to miss time in the 1st place, thing is if he would of had his head on straight he wouldn't of had to worry about his playing time being in jeopardy when he returned. As far as you wanting to compare SVI stats to BG's I KNOW your not going to try and say that BG would have done so much better on the rebounds, assists, blocks and or steals then SVI, I sure haven't seen any of those traits from BG either when he has played as your seem to be insinuating for that to be much of a difference between the 2. What I do see a difference between the 2 is being able or wanting to play defense and ATTITUDE huge difference in attitude. Having said that I do like Greene but to say that it's a pretty sure lock that he is going to sit SVI after the 9th ummmmm- - -not real sure about that They are not that much different the big difference on the defensive side SVI actually can play a little defense Greene ummmm not so much and until either he decides he is going to or can then he will continue to have a seat on the bench, there is a hell of a lot more to the game of basketball then just shooting a ball, it does absolutely no good if you come and jack up a shot and make it and then afterwards stand there and try to show up the other teams players or celebrate your shot instead of getting your butt back down the court and oh I don't know MAYBE try and play some defense, but Greene wants to celebrate meanwhile back the ranch his player the one he is surpose to be guarding has an open path to the basket, how does that benefit the team? Ya if I were to bet I think the stats would be pretty similar line in 25 minutes of play as far as rebs, steals, blocks, assists actually take SVI on the assists over Greene, so you might want to take a little closer look at the OERALL sceme of the game before just giving the minutes to Greene

Joe Joseph 6 years, 11 months ago

Seems like Svi has been catching the ball, dropping it to his waste, and then lifting to shoot. Almost like he's not catching the ball ready to shoot. Too much wasted motion. I don't feel like he was doing that so much when he was shooting a better clip.

If only Svi could get a little steadier on defense. With his length he could be a nightmare for opposing guards. I keep envisioning this dream lineup with both Svi and BG on the floor, but that will only happen if and when one of the two (and I'm looking at Svi here) can guard consistently well and guard multiple positions consistently well.

Question: What type of ovation do you expect Greene to receive when he finally checks back in? I bet it's massive. Maybe a bit of a message to Self type of ovation.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 11 months ago

Same thing the bigs are doing down underneath the basket. As soon as they let the ball get down below their waist, the other team has a good shot of either stealing the ball or blocking the shot.

Tom Jones 6 years, 11 months ago

Any "messages" received in this process will be received by Brannen or no one. I'm betting he's finally seen the light.

Mike Riches 6 years, 11 months ago

Svi looks like a four year player to me. Self has called him as good of a pro prospect as we have (last year) and I know the NBA drafts on potential, but I just don't see him getting drafted without some major improvement. There is a difference between Cheick's rawness and Svi's inexperience.

Robert Brock 6 years, 11 months ago

Our wings need to do more than jack up threes. Are you hearing me, Brannen?

Jay Scott 6 years, 11 months ago

The simple reality is that Mason, Selden and Graham are going to play 100 mins combined this year. That leaves 20 for Svi and Greene (and Vick). Not enough for either to get in the flow or to be confident and comfortable. I don't totally agree with that strategy but my coaching resume isn't strong enough to make Zenger consider replacing Self...

Svi will be in Lawrence one more season. Barring a major recruiting addition, a back court of Svi, Greene, Vick, Mason and Graham is plenty capable of winning it all. A recruiting "coup" at the 3 might mean Greene transfers and Svi plays in Europe, just so a One and Done can replace them... A real step forward?

Bob Thompson 6 years, 11 months ago

Good point Jay. Basketball has changed a lot in the last 10 years with all the one and done's. One and done's are now a part of collage b-ball, but personally I like an experienced team.

Clarence Haynes 6 years, 11 months ago

I just don't understand these articles and discussions about player deficiencies this early in the season. Yes, everyone might not be playing on all cylinders but the Top 5 Jayhawks are 6-1 including it winning Maui! We all need to chill out and let this exceptional team evolve to one that is well positioned to make a run in March!

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 11 months ago

Being ranked number two is different from being the second best team. The Kansas team that struggled over Harvard is not the second-best team in the country....at least not yet.

Kansas will not go far if they continually play down to the other team's talent. This is something that KU has struggled with over the last three seasons. KU's free-throw shooting woes have also been something they've been struggling with for the past few seasons. In a close game that comes down to a free-throw shooting match, KU is going to need to step up to the line and knock it down.

Steve Zimmerman 6 years, 11 months ago

Svi can be as lethal as Lavine, if coached right. He's got all the tools and mechanics. He can leap but not quick enough. Coach Hudy can help him to get there. I also notice his defense can be improved by bending lower and spreading his legs, arms wider. Well, he lacks of fundamental D basically.. and he needs to look more like a wolf than TJ Pugh with those eyebrowses.

Gerry Butler 6 years, 11 months ago

huh, - - -ummm please tell me as this site has added a NEW LOW, but please enlighten me, seeing as how you must be fretting something terrible, can you please explain to me how SVI change of EYBROWS will improve his play? his defense? how the change of his eyebrows will change ANYTHING? Mercy people please stay focused, AGAIN why is it that this site feels it has to take a jab, an insult at someone, about anything, everything, anything about what they should be focused on, never have know how a players appearance will change his athletic ability, that's almost as bas as the multiple personal attacks Coach Mangino went through here about his weight, constantly idiot people taking shots about him being so overweight or whatever, to which the correct reply was- - what the hell did his weight have to do with his ability to coach? He won games, something which by the way has been pretty dam infrequent since he was fired, his weight had NOTHING to do with his coaching abilities, I could care less would it of been better for himself if he was less weight ya it would, but that was his choice and of his personal concern, NOT ours to kick him around about weight, same with SVI I mean WHAT? SERIOUSLY? REALLY? the team has multiple problems, more then just SVI and how he defends that's just a piece, but now we have to worry about how his eyebrows look? come on. holy crap

Steve Zimmerman 6 years, 11 months ago

Chill chill, mr Butler. It's all good. You read me wrong. I am a passionate KU fan. I'm sorry if my words sounds negative to Svi. You need to read again carefully. It's not a personal attack. It's all about observation. Eyebrows CAN impact defense. It's called psychological strategy. You gotta show toughness when you guard someone. If you look scared, opponent will gain confidence. If you look mean and tough, you CAN influence the opponent's thoughts.

Kent Richardson 6 years, 11 months ago

Svi had an opportunity to be the next guard off the bench. He wasn't a bust and when his outside shooting cooled off considerably he still was working and contributing. Our top three guards are the heart of this team and can shoot the 3 pretty darn well. Brannen has not really shown he is anything other than a 3 point shooter and has been capable of making head scratching decisions doing anything else. Brannen had a lot more opportunity last year than Svi and I just don't see a him being anything other than a three bomber. He does have something we are lacking and that is free throw making talent.

Use Brannen as a way to extend leads or get back into games in short stretches. Let Svi have more minutes and keep developing his defense, passing and pretty valuable rim attacking (although that may be over stating it).

Our team is under developed inside with Carlton (almost the forgotten man) and Cheick maybe taking more than 20 games and 70 practices to be any kind of consistent. Use Hunter more would be fine with me until then. It's about the post season this year as I see it.

Harvard for all their supposed intelligence came to late to the foul first strategy. When they fouled they were tied. When they didn't Perry scored 5 and Frank and DeVonte 3 each. I think we may have lost the game if those opportunities would have been squelched.

It's early and anything can happen. Perry and the trio need to carry us well into the first half of the conference. I don't know if Perry will be aggressive enough he has been pretty streaky and 6 games is not enough to be sold that Wayne is our best player from here on out.