Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Cliff Alexander to leave KU after one season, enter NBA draft

Freshman forward projects as first-round pick

Kansas forward Cliff Alexander (2) throws down a dunk against Oklahoma during the second half on Monday, Jan. 19, 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University freshman basketball forward Cliff Alexander, who had what coach Bill Self calls “an interesting and educational year,” has decided to end his college career and enter the 2015 NBA Draft.

The 6-foot-8, 240-pounder from Chicago arrived at KU as a likely one-and-done player and likely lottery pick in the June draft. According to ESPN.com, he exits as somebody “likely to be selected late in the first round.” Indeed, one scout told the Journal-World Alexander could go as high as No. 22 of the first round, with some league executives enamored with Alexander’s strength and potential rebounding ability.

“This should come as no surprise to anybody,” Self said, in announcing Alexander’s decision after meeting with the player on Tuesday. “He was a major contributor to our team from the beginning of the season. He worked his way into the starting lineup and has had to deal with an off-the-court issue with the NCAA that made him ineligible for the last eight games of our season. We all feel bad for Cliff for what he and our team had to go through because it was difficult for him to sit and watch his teammates play without him. During his time here, Cliff certainly got better. I loved coaching Cliff, but we support his decision 100 percent to move on and take his ability to the next level,” Self added.

Alexander averaged 7.1 points off team-best 56.6 field-goal shooting and 5.3 rebounds. His 37 blocked shots tied for the team-high with junior Jamari Traylor. His 1.3 blocking average ranked ninth in the Big 12.

“I talked this over with my mom and my dad and we decided the timing was right for me to enter the NBA Draft,” Alexander said. “Kansas has been a great experience. I enjoyed being on campus. When I came in I didn’t really know much (about playing in college). I was undersized and not strong enough to bang with other guys. As the year went on, I got settled and comfortable with the system. I got stronger in the weight room and competed harder.”

He did not say whether an NCAA investigation, allegedly into an extra benefit situation possibly involving his mom, was the reason for his leaving. KU officials would only say Tuesday that they have not been informed of any resolution to the matter. The NCAA has a policy of not commenting on such cases. Alexander’s mom did not return a phone call asking for comment. Alexander’s attorney also did not return a call requesting comment.

“Playing in Allen Fieldhouse… that’s the craziest place I have ever played,” Alexander said. “I’m going to miss the fans. They showed me a lot of love everywhere I went. They are a very supportive fan base. I’m going to miss my teammates a lot. I’m going to miss everybody. Coach Self knows the game of basketball and taught me a lot on and off the court while I was here,” Alexander added.

“I’ve known Jerrance (Howard) since I was a sophomore in high school. We’ve had a great relationship. When I got here that just grew, he felt like a big brother to me. All the coaches and staff were very supportive during my time here. They helped me grow and mature.”

ESPN draft expert Chad Ford on Tuesday had this to say about Alexander at the Web address http://ljw.bz/1O5Plf7

“Alexander began the season ranked as a potential lottery pick. Blessed with elite strength, athleticism and a terrific motor, scouts expected him to dominate weaker, less athletic bigs in college. Alas, Alexander’s lack of basketball IQ and height (just 6-foot-8) caused him to struggle and, for the most part, he never was a huge part of the Kansas offense. An NCAA investigation into his eligibility ended his season early and it’s likely that the investigation was a primary factor in deciding to declare for the draft, as Alexander risked being ineligible next season. Some NBA teams still believe he has upside. He could go anywhere in the 20-to-40 range,” Ford wrote.

Roster talk: KU, which also loses one-and-done freshman Kelly Oubre Jr., now has four scholarships available in recruiting. More could be available if junior Perry Ellis turns pro and/or anybody transfers. One vacancy has been filled by No. 15-ranked (by Rivals.com) Carlton Bragg, 6-9, Cleveland’s Villa Angela St. Joseph High, who has orally committed to KU. Prep prospects who are considering KU include No. 2 Jaylen Brown, 6-7, Wheeler High, Marietta, Georgia; No. 3 Malik Newman, 6-3, Callaway High, Jackson, Mississippi; No. 5 Thon Maker, 7-foot, Orangeville Prep, Mono, Ontario; No. 7 Cheick Diallo, 6-7, Our Savior New American, Centereach, New York; No. 11 Stephen Zimmerman, 7-foot, Bishop Gorman High, Las Vegas; and No. 19 Brandon Ingram, 6-8, Kinston (North Carolina) High. Michael Thorne Jr., a 6-11 senior transfer from UNC Charlotte, is considering KU, Pitt and Illinois.

Where will he go?: Draftexpress.com currently lists Alexander as the first pick of the second round. NBAdraft.net has Alexander the fifth pick of the second round.

Forced to decide?: Dan Feldman of probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com had an interesting take on Alexander’s decision to turn pro.

“Unfortunately, the decision was essentially taken out of Alexander’s hands when the NCAA began investigating whether he and his family were remaining poor enough while Kansas got rich off his fixed-wage labor,” Feldman wrote at http://ljw.bz/1NStN3O

“Whether you believe college or the pros better develops players for the NBA, there’s no question Alexander wouldn’t develop much at Kansas if suspended next season. So, to the draft he goes. Alexander is a borderline first-round pick. The most common words used when assessing his game are ‘Basketball IQ’ – as in, it needs to improve. He’s just 19, so it should. But there’s always concern about how much and how quickly.

There’s a reason Alexander was so highly touted coming out of high school. There’s also a reason he’s not the top-10 pick many expected. But there’s no good reason Alexander should be forced into this choice. Alas, he is, and NBA teams must now evaluate an intriguing but flawed prospect.”

Comments

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 5 months ago

I bet we find out he lost his eligibility for good.

Jay Hawkinson 7 years, 5 months ago

Yeah I don't think there's any doubt that he was guilty of something. It may not have been enough to make him permanently ineligible, but at this point by far the best outcome for KU was for Cliff to leave, rather than giving the NCAA whatever info it wanted, which would open KU to the risk of having to forfeit some games.

Andy Hess 7 years, 5 months ago

I think you mean that his family was guilty of something. I find it hard to believe that Cliff himself had anything to do with this.

Ian Emerson 7 years, 5 months ago

Tragic if he didn't know about it, if he did know about it then he's not worthy of wearing the Crimson and Blue. If we fill our scholarship spots correctly we could be very good next year. Jaylen Brown and a 7 footer come on down.

Steve Zimmerman 7 years, 5 months ago

wow. what did Cliff do that makes many of these fans, aka one KU nation, one of the best fans in college bball, that left a bad taste in their mouths? do you think KU would've made it to FF had he played? he stayed with the team till the season was over. he didn't do drugs, he didn't commit any domestic violence.. he has a dream, just like any other players. just like any of us, yes, the fans. do you think your words towards a Jayhawk would help recruiting Jaylen? think again before posting those negative words that would only hurt players..

Allison Steen 7 years, 5 months ago

Good response. Side note, do you have any relation to Stephen Zimmerman? You must have sway! You have the same name!!

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 5 months ago

Steve, like all the other projected OADs, he went to the school that promised the most playing time and name recognition then entered the draft.

KU just happened to fit his requirements. He didn't come here because he always dreamed of being a Jayhawk but because he thought KU would help him achieve his goal and entering the NBA.

Allin Herring 7 years, 5 months ago

This is to assume we want Jaylen! Glad Cliff and his greedy parents are gone! If we are going to get OAD's then lets get some that really impact the program like Okafor did for Duke not like Qubre and Alexander did for us. It seems we are always getting the hand me down OAD's and not ones that get us past the first weekend of the NCAA's. Remember during Selfs years at KU we have not gotten out of the 1st weekend 42% of the time. We either need to up our game in getting OAD's or start recruiting like Wichita and Butler do.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 5 months ago

Alexander is this year's rookie MVP. Was it Alexander's fault that we didn't go further? Was it Kevin Durant's fault that Texas didn't go further?

Maybe it had more to do with coaching.

Roger Ortega 7 years, 5 months ago

Well that just opens up another scholarship. Hopefully for someone that will live up to or at least be near their expectations. If the whole thing with his mother doing this was unbeknownst to Cliff I feel really bad for the kid. Good luck and now lets fill the spot with someone eligible, confident & talented. The way Dukes's freshman played in that game against Wisconsin is what we should demand from all of our players, especially the OAD's.

Brian Wilson 7 years, 5 months ago

Not really true just yet. Coach K has been coaching D1 since 1975 but became coach at Duke in 1980. So, since at Duke he has coached 35 years and 5 championships and is 945-251. Or one championship every 220 games. It took Coach K 11 years to win his first championship in 1991. Its been 24 years since then. Coach K has definitely been on top the past 24 years.

However, "Baby Bill" as in coaching years, started as KU's head coach in 2003 and has one NCAA Championship, and is 341-71. It took Self just 5 years to win his first NCAA championship at KU. Bill Self's 11th year was last year and as of last year they were on the same schedule. But Coach K won again in 1992, and then itt was 9 years later for his 3rd win in 2001.

So Bill is a game behind schedule. However, Bill has 23 years and 780 games to coach before we will know the answer that. and I think you are having a premature......moment.

John Kelley 7 years, 5 months ago

I don't think people will want to wait 23 more years to find out, if KU continues to get knocked out of the NCAA tournament in the first or second round.

John Pritchett 7 years, 5 months ago

Duke was knocked out of the NCAA tournament in the round of 64 in two of their last three tournaments prior to this year. It happens to the best. And make no mistake, Coach Self is one of the best.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 5 months ago

As much as it pains me to thumbs-up this, you're right. Since Kansas won the national title in 2008, Duke has won it twice now. Other programs are getting ahead, while our program is stagnating. If we had a different coach like Gregg Marshall, we might have more than two Final Fours and more than one national title. I'm tired of NCAA Tournament underachieving, and only a coaching change can reverse that trend.

Fire Bill Self!

John Fitzgerald 7 years, 5 months ago

You would be a great politician. And I mean that in the worst way possible.

Michael Lorraine 7 years, 5 months ago

The same Greg Marshall who was a number 1 seed in 2014 and lost in the second round.

Mike Riches 7 years, 5 months ago

Bryce, I want to attempt a serious and respectful response to your pleas to fire Bill Self. I know you've been agitating for this recently, which is fine. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. And I think most fans would agree there have been more years under Self when it's felt like KU has underachieved in the tourney (2005, 06, 10, 11, 14 & 15) than those in which we've over-achieved (2012 and maybe 04 & 09). But the problem I see with your stance is there's no guarantee that any other eligible applicant would do a better job. You said, "If we had a different coach like Gregg Marshall, we might have more than two Final Fours and more than one national title." The problem is it's also possible that we could have less Final Fours and no titles. Listen, if Coach K or Izzo or Pitino or a resurrected Wooden all of a sudden expressed interest in becoming the head coach at Kansas, we could start having some interesting conversations, but none of them are walking through that door! Meanwhile we've got a coach who's proven he can win (82% while at KU), has more conference championships than home losses, and has actually won a title. It would be an enormous gamble to trade that coach for an unproven replacement. Having said that, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for any coach to feel a little pressure to perform, so they never feel tempted to get complacent. But I don't think Self has shown any signs of apathy as our head coach. I think he's done a really great job, and while he may not be the best in the business, he's right up there.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 5 months ago

I don't agree with much of what you said, but I'm giving you a thumbs-up because you're the only person so far who's not dismissing me out of hand for thinking for myself and not being a liberal group-thinker.

Michael Bennett 7 years, 5 months ago

Right now I completely agree with you. I do like Bill Self and I don't think any other possible option would be better than him. However I am not opposed to him getting pressure or being on the hot seat if we see another early exit next year. My concern is that he could be losing his drive, possibly in part due to the '08 ring and a 10-year $53 million contract following the 2012 run. Some coaches might get complacent under those circumstances, even if it's not on purpose.

John Pritchett 7 years, 5 months ago

I said this above in this thread, but it's worth repeating. Duke lost in the round of 64 in two of their three tournaments prior to this year. Why do we have such tunnel vision? The tournament is a crapshoot. The fact that Duke even won it this year shows how much of a crapshoot it is. Was Duke the best team in the tournament? No. But it doesn't matter who's the best. From what I've seen over the years, there's more noise than signal in the NCAA tournament. In other words, the outcome has more to do with chance than with skill. If you're basing your assessment of a coach entirely on number of NCAA titles, that's a pretty shaky assessment. Coach Ollie at UConn has as many NCAA titles as Coach Self. Is he as good a coach? There are a lot of Hall of Fame coaches with a single title. Is Hall of Fame good enough for you? Or should we kick our Hall of Fame bound coach to the curb because we're so impatient and we think we deserve better than what we have? We don't deserve better. We've been blessed. We had a great coach in Coach Williams, and when he left, we got a better coach in Coach Self. That doesn't generally happen. Look around you. There is a lot of mediocrity in college basketball coaching. What we have is not mediocrity, and it's not stagnation. It's an amazing run of consistently good teams, and an unprecedented amount of regular AND post-season success over the last decade. It amazes me that this isn't good enough for some people.

Cody Riedy 7 years, 5 months ago

One could easily argue that coach K is the greatest coach in college basketball history, even better than Wooden when taking into account the difference in eras. So I know people say things like this as if its some kind of insult, but to me its like saying Jupiter is bigger than Mars. Yeah, so what? Self is a great coach, but he's not Coach K. He's also got 20 years to to catch up to Coach K and try to match his accomplishments. Maybe he will, maybe he won't that doesn't mean that Self is not a great coach in his own right.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 5 months ago

Yeah and Rob Bedford and Bryce Landon are actual KU fans. KU can't bank on getting the benefit of the whistle every game like Duke can. Go back and watch "Jay-Will" draw calls on a superior Kirk Heinrich their freshman year, it's pathetic to watch Duke "basketball" and several teams from the NE have made a complete mockery of the sport. Did you ever see Emeka Okafor get called when he didn't actually foul someone at UConn? Everyone has a bad call go against them occasionally...unless they are part of certain programs. But yeah, K is just really good, neither he nor his mentor were exceptional at getting refs to give them a favorable whistle.

Rob Bedford III 7 years, 5 months ago

Self was not coaching KU in the game against Duke you mentioned. So you can not use that in your argument of Self vs. K. If you are suggesting Coach K only wins because he knows how to get more whistles then perhaps Self should watch some more tape on the guy. Self is a great coach but he does not compare to K.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 5 months ago

Doesn't change the fact that Duke has had a favorable whistle for decades, particularly in respect to KU, so I don't see your point at all.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 5 months ago

Of course I'm a KU fan. Just because I don't go along w/ the rest of you sheeple with your blind loyalty to Self doesn't make me any less a KU fan. If anything, it makes me more a KU fan because I want my team to stop underachieving in March.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 5 months ago

Well it's not your team, if anything it's Self's team and they've been pretty productive during his tenure.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 5 months ago

Completely on target Rob. Coach K has a higher total percentage of wins plus a higher percentage of winning in the NCAA and if you go to:

You will see that Coach K is a far better coach. That's not a knock on Coach Self, I doubt anyone compares favorably. For the record, Roy Williams also compares favorably to Coach Self.

Danny Hernandez 7 years, 5 months ago

It really helped that all 3 of the super frosh had been playing together in the Under 18 team for a while, gave them time to know each other and jell.

David Kemp 7 years, 5 months ago

Sad state considering he has dropped well into second round according to analysts. Agree this is probably a no choice situation brought on by mom. Hope the loan was worth it.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 5 months ago

Disappointing situation, but the outcome most people could see coming given the circumstances. Now that Cliff has declared, it's unlikely this case ever has an official resolution.

Chad Smith 7 years, 5 months ago

We'll take Zimmerman, Diallo and Jaylen Brown to go along with Carlton Bragg. Please and thank you!

Jay Scott 7 years, 5 months ago

He's not a useful NBA player. Best to leave now while that's in question than to stay and prove it.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 5 months ago

In a couple years he'll be one of those PF's you can count on to finish when the playmakers get him a good shot. A lot of guys have made careers out of being solid defensive rebounders and finishing fairly easy shots around the rim.

Jay Scott 7 years, 5 months ago

That what T-Rob is. He's 1/2 the player. Unless he grows another inch or two...

Alex Resnik 7 years, 5 months ago

Jason Maxiell still has a job in the NBA. Cliff is the better athlete and bigger body. If he works as hard as Maxiell does he can make a decent living for himself.

Dale Rogers 7 years, 5 months ago

My bet is someone told his mother she could get this loan and it would not affect Cliff because he had not declared eligibility, was not signatory on the loan, had not contacted anyone and was not himself benefitting financially at this time. There needs to be some changes in the rules to handle this kind of situation without putting the kids and their schools through this kind of situation.

Marc Frey 7 years, 5 months ago

His mother....yea all the way to the loan office.

Brian Wilson 7 years, 5 months ago

Imagine going into debt and taking out a loan based on you kid's future earnings without telling your kid and then expecting him to pay the bill after the fact. Surprse! Surprise! Kind of sounds like Obama and Congress doesn't it! LOL But in reality, it's not only rude and pretentious but sad. Pretty much...."Stealing from your kids".

Jaston Archie 7 years, 5 months ago

Attention to all prospects: Avoid Bill Self like the plague. He is a certified confidence destroyer. He will tell you every week how bad you are, how soft you are, how you can't make a shot (and then when you finally start making shots, he's going to tell you that's fools gold until you miss constantly for 3 weeks and then he will again start saying you can't make a shot, the basket is closed blah blah blah. Run for your life to a coach like Coach K who will build you up, allow you to be yourself, and trust you to step up when it matters like he did with Grayson Allen last night. Run!

Ian Emerson 7 years, 5 months ago

Haha Coach k is a notoriously mean coach. The only thing worse than a troll is a troll that's an idiot.

Jaston Archie 7 years, 5 months ago

So according to the "genius" Ian Emerson, mean=confidence destroyer. I never said Coach K, a pupil of Bob Knight, was a nice guy, I said he knows how to instill confidence in his players. If someone is super tough on you because he or she sees greatness and is trying to bring it out, that is beneficial and will result in a player having greater confidence because he sees how much the coach believes in him. So before you resort to name calling, at least give an intelligent response to demonstrate that you are in fact superior to the person you are attempting to belittle.

Ian Emerson 7 years, 5 months ago

Haha you do describe indepth about the works of a coach that you know nothing about. The only thing we as fans of our respected coaches know is first hand eye witness accounts of practices or games. Meaning people who hold seats in practice or people who have seats close to the benches. There are many accounts, if you would like I will post them in my next rebuttal after you post another reply lacking and evidence or supportive material, where people witness Coach K cussing his players out and humiliating them. Calling them gay slurs and other curse words. Where is your evidence that Coach Self anything that is considered demeaning to his players?

Jaston Archie 7 years, 5 months ago

Let me embark on this path of futility. First of all, I don't need evidence to support a position I do not hold. I have never accused Bill Self of being "demeaning," I just said that his negativity or lack of belief in his players caused them to play with a lack confidence. He said in his own words when speaking about Kelly Oubre, that a main reason for his poor play at the beginning of the season was that "he didn't trust him much" (http://cjonline.com/sports/2015-01-20/ku-basketballs-kelly-oubre-finding-his-way). It's just my personal opinion that that attitude extends beyond Kelly to other players like Cliff in the beginning, Wayne, Brannen, players who are super talented but just do not play with confidence. I will not defend any of the accusations against Coach K, I will just say that all "meanness" or negativity should have a purpose and be rooted in a deep confidence and belief in the potential of the player not just a negative reaction to their performance. When a coach does not trust or believe in a player, that is not a good thing.

A. J. Daggett 7 years, 5 months ago

You still have not answered the question of "WHO ARE YOU". The only thing I have heard from KU players are positive not negative concerning Bill Self. Do you have any first hand knowledge?

Glen Miller 7 years, 5 months ago

How about ignorant, can we call you that.... since your ridiculous rant is full of ignorance.

Danny Hernandez 7 years, 5 months ago

and grayson was a mickeyD who dreamt playing for duke since he was in the 8th grade. hes been riding the pine waiting for his chance

Allin Herring 7 years, 5 months ago

And he got his chance and look what he did! He produced which is not what Alexander did. Mr Bust!

Michael Haughey 7 years, 5 months ago

If KU routinely got calls like Duke this year and 2010, the Phog would have a few more banners hanging.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 5 months ago

If we had a different coach who could handle his business against Missouri Valley teams in the NCAA's, we would have a few more banners hanging.

Fire Bill Self!

A. J. Daggett 7 years, 5 months ago

For God's sake GIVE IT A REST! Greg Marshall just signed a seven year deal with Wichita State to stay for seven more years. Clearly he's a big fish who prefers to play in a small pond rather than try and play with the big boys

Glen Miller 7 years, 5 months ago

They didn't make the Final Four last year..... they were knocked out in the second round, just as KU was.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 5 months ago

Really? It's unrealistic of me to expect the Jayhawks to win a national title more than once a generation? It's unrealistic of me to expect the Jayhawks to get past the first weekend of the tournament? It's unrealistic of me to expect the Jayhawks to beat teams from FCS conferences? How can we call ourselves a blueblood when we've won only three NCAA titles in a span of 65 years? Other bluebloods don't have to wait anywhere near that long to win three national titles.

Cody Riedy 7 years, 5 months ago

KU has only won two titles between 1988 and now, a 27 year period. However, we've appeared in 5 title games. So yes, it would be nice to have won more, but we are still playing in a title game at a pace of about once every five years. Here's all of the schools with as many or more national titles than KU.

Kentucky: They went from 1978 to 1996 without winning a title. They won again in 1998 and then didn't win until 2012. So that's an 18 year gap and 14 year gap between titles.

UCLA: went from 1975 to 1995 without a title and haven't won since. So that's 1 title in 40 years.

North Carolina: went from 1957 to 1982 without titles, a 25 year gap. Then from 1982 to to 1993, and from 1993 to Roy's pair of titles in 2005 and 2009.

Indiana: went from 1953 to 1976, when Bob Knight won his first title. 23 years. Indiana hasn't won a title since 1987, 28 years ago.

Duke: won in 91 and 92, then about a decade later in 2001, another decade later in 2010, and now in 2015.

Connecticut: they're weird. They don't make the tournament or they win the title. But out of al the "blue bloods", since 1999, they've won titles regularly in 99, 04, 11, and 14.

Louisville: went from 1986 to 2013, 27 years, without a title.

Throw in Michigan State, who has 2: they won in 79, then 21 years later in 2000, and now have gone 15 years without a title.

The moral of the story: outside of UConn, an a couple of close pairs for Duke and North Carolina, every single blue blood goes on average at least a decade if not two and nearly three between titles.

Cody Riedy 7 years, 5 months ago

Here's a list of the same blue bloods and how many title games they've appeared in and their record in title games. Basically, KU has kept pace in title game appearances, if KU has a problem, it is that they have the worst record in title games out of their peers.

Appearances (record). UCLA: 13 (11-2) Kentucky: 12 (8-4) Duke: 11 (5-6) North Carolina: 9 (5-4) Kansas: 9 (3-6) Indiana: 6 (5-1) UConn: 4 (4-0) Louisville: 3 (3-0)

Michael Lorraine 7 years, 5 months ago

Yes really Bryce, you are totally unrealistic. First off you want to blame Bill Self for the last 65 years. What you are describing happens to EVERYONE, not just Bill Self. If you paid attention to the tournament you would realize this. If you were a Duke fan you would have called for Coach K’s firing after losing in the first round last year because it was the second time in three seasons. You want to hire Gregg Marshall? Did you happen to notice he was a number one seed last year and lost in round two. Wow that hardly ever happens. Firing Bill Self would not only be an act of monumental stupidity, it would make us the laughing stock of college basketball. I can appreciate your sentiments because we are all disappointed when the tournament does not mirror our regular season performance. That’s why they call it March Madness. But what do I know, I’m just a liberal group thinker who relies on others to do my thinking for me. If I let the facts get in the way I wouldn’t have an argument.

Allison Steen 7 years, 5 months ago

Who cares what conference they are in? That crap doesn't bother me anymore. Wichita State was like the 13th ranked team in the country and we unfortunately got them in the second round. If we had played an appropriately seeded team, I have no doubts we would've gotten to the sweet 16, which was where most expected us to go, but no further. We didn't under perform, we just got the wrong team at the wrong time.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 5 months ago

lol..So it has nothing to do with better coaching and better players. We once led Duke in NCs 2-0. Those days are long past.

Robert Brock 7 years, 5 months ago

I watched Grayson Allen play EYBL hoops last summer and came away very impressed with his skills and drive. He was a superb Devil reserve, fully capable of delivering a breakout performance when needed. He finally got his chance.

Dan Harris 7 years, 5 months ago

Duke just won the frikken NC and your on here trolling?!?! Look up loser in the dictionary(or Google it) and your picture pops up

Kyle Sybesma 7 years, 5 months ago

And who would you hire Bryce?

Aren't you the one who seriously thought KU could get Dan Mullen from Mississippi State. The same MSU who was ranked #1. The same MSU who plays in the SEC. The same MSU who was in contention for a National Championship.

Clearly you don't have an intelligent track record of comments.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 5 months ago

As stupid and childish as your response is, at the same time it's strangely amusing.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 5 months ago

Self has consistently had players at or above their expected draft levels and usually on or ahead of any schedule anyone expected. Did you expect Oubre to be a top10 pick out of HS? Expect TRob to be top5 or BMac or were people touting Embiid as a top3 pick coming into college? Please, get a clue, grow up, leave civilization to immerse yourself in ridiculous theories, whatever you see fit, just don't post here among reasonable human beings.

John Pritchett 7 years, 5 months ago

The only thing I disagree with in your post is that thing about reasonable human beings. They do seem to be a minority here.

Allin Herring 7 years, 5 months ago

Hey the facts are the facts. His teams have not made it out of the 1st weekend 42% of the time since Bill has been here.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 5 months ago

Allen was ranked #28 by rivals in 2014.

He played up to his potential ...big deal. At least KU has never lost as a 2 seed to a 15 or last year as a 3 to #14 Mercer

Mercer?? LMAO

Freddie Garza 7 years, 5 months ago

I feel badly for Cliff, but in the end I think he would have left anyway after 1 year. I think that universities should be given legal recourse to seek action against firms who knowingly make illegal loans to NCAA athletes and/or their families based on the projection of them going pro one day.

Joe Ross 7 years, 5 months ago

The loan itself was not illegal. Within context, however, he means that it was made in violation of NCAA regulations. So Freddie is right on that point. However, the lending institution is under no obligation to act in accordance with NCAA regulations as they have absolutely nothing to do with them. They can not be held liable. He is wrong on that score.

Kyle Sybesma 7 years, 5 months ago

Thank you Joe! Therefore universities have no leg to stand on to take "legal recourse" because they are not "knowingly mak(ing) illegal loans."

Joe Ross 7 years, 5 months ago

Youre right. Universities can not sue lending institutions who make the loans. Furthermore, even if the banks knew that the loans they provide are in violation of NCAA regulations that apply to the student and/or student's family, they are still not legally liable. The lending institution is a third party who is not contractually obligated to abide by the NCAA regulations whatsoever. The onus lies upon the one(s) seeking the loan, if they have entered into an agreement with the NCAA to abide by its regulations.

Gavin Fritton 7 years, 5 months ago

Kelly Oubre gets a press conference and Cliff gets a press release. I don't have a problem with it, but something tells me that Bill Self is still a bit cranky about this whole thing. And I don't blame him about it one bit. I am too.

A. J. Daggett 7 years, 5 months ago

It would be great if they could find a way to go after the agents who prey on these kids and their families.

Joe Ross 7 years, 5 months ago

Talking to agents is fine. Accepting anything from, by, or through an agent is not.

Lorena Ben G Solis 7 years, 5 months ago

1st off the Duke troll can beat it 2nd I seen this coming as soon as cliff was in trouble I knew he would not be returning sad thing is he really needs a few more years to bring his game up he was slowly coming around & bam career over I wish him the best just wish he was with us a few more years would have been great to see him next year knowing what to expect &the program

Suzi Marshall 7 years, 5 months ago

The Alexander family made this decision last August on the day they filed the UCC papers. I don't buy it for one second thay were unaware of the consequences of their actions. If they had questions, there were plenty of avenues to get those answers. Frankly, I can not understand the mind set of people that would something like that.

Jay Scott 7 years, 5 months ago

I don't think they make decisions as a single family unit.

Kent Wells 7 years, 5 months ago

Well, if you are looking to buy a car in a couple of years, throw on a Jayhawk hoodie and head to Chicago - you might get a good deal from Mr. Alexander.

Cameron Schienebeck 7 years, 5 months ago

Thank you for finally declaring and not prolonging the inevitable. Now the undeclared recruits know they can come in and play some quality minutes.

Justin Daniel 7 years, 5 months ago

I see an ESPN 30 for 30 coming..."The Best That Never Was Part Deux"

Matt Spitzli 7 years, 5 months ago

Poor Cliff. He seems like a good kid. Hoping he achieves his dreams at the next level.

Vic Janeway 7 years, 5 months ago

NOW we can get a "real" talented big guy like Zman!

Tyler Capone 7 years, 5 months ago

looks like that Illinois hat flip decision came back to haunt him

Kyle Neuer 7 years, 5 months ago

Any bets on whether he winds up in Europe or the developmental league next year? Not NBA ready.

David Kemp 7 years, 5 months ago

All of the above and the money will not even get them off welfare.

Gordon Penny 7 years, 5 months ago

Something sounds fishy here. The Alexander family would not be the one filing the UCC thing -- the loan company would! Typically it is the lender that files this paperwork.

Suzi Marshall 7 years, 5 months ago

There sure is. That's why I don't buy the story the mother acted on her own.

Plain and simple as someone stated early on...they got caught with their hands in the cookie jar. They just could not wait 6 more months to cash in.

Brian Wilson 7 years, 5 months ago

Correct! I am just guessing at all of this but.....It is probably why no one found out until after December. And I am guessing but the family probably thought that there would be no way for anyone to find out. Financials had probably already been submitted to the NCAA before school starting in August and so they might have submitted for the loan thinking Cliff would be OAD anyway and no additional requests for financials would be needed. So, depending on the state where it was filed, and how long it took them to file it, the loan company pay a small fee of like $20 to put the UCC on file which eventually becomes available for the public to see. It may not have been filed until September and it ysually 1 to 4 months or the end of quarter to be available to see. So it may not have showed up in reports until the end of 2014....and then someone noticed and voila!

Tracey Graham 7 years, 5 months ago

I don't blame Cliff at all. I think he was treated very badly by the NCAA, if all the reports about how they refused to bring him in for an interview -- despite him offering to come in to talk to them multiple times --ares true. If he was guilty of something, as some on here seem to think he was, would he really be repeatedly asking the NCAA to interview him? At the very least, the NCAA should have brought him in and given him the chance to defend himself and try to regain his eligibility.

What if he decided to return to KU and then the NCAA continues to drag its feet with this so-called investigation. He could end up missing part or all of another season waiting for the NCAA to make a decision. There is a deadline to declare for the draft, so unfortunately he doesn't have the time to sit around and wait for the NCAA to make up its mind.

Cliff played pretty well. Sure he was inconsistent, but I saw some people calling him a bust, which is just wrong. And I doubt he is going to fall from a Top 5 pick into the second round. Unless there are real red flags, I bet you some team takes him in the 1st round.

In an ideal world, both he and Oubre would stay in school, because I don't think either of them is ready to be a contributor for a NBA team. But this is not an ideal world.

David Kemp 7 years, 5 months ago

Look at the mock drafts, he has fallen well into the second round. He lost out because all guys played circles around him into the ncaa tournament.

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 5 months ago

What he can do is go to the pro camps, play well, and have his pro day and impress scouts so the 2nd round option is not a far gone conclusion. He can show people who he is and what he can do. I hear he is between late 1st round and early 2nd. Now, it is in his hands, which the NCAA can't stop him from showing his worth from here on out.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 5 months ago

Hopefully one of the Play-off Teams drafting in the high 20's will take him in the First Round. BIG money difference between First and Second Round. Spurs?

David Kemp 7 years, 5 months ago

Exactly there is No guaranteed money in the second round period.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 5 months ago

Not all websites update their projections weekly. There are some that are out of date and Cliff was still a late lottery projection at the end of January.

John Randall 7 years, 5 months ago

Cliff needs a guiding hand from an honest, honorable agent – if there are any of those around . . .

Michael Haughey 7 years, 5 months ago

I dunno, Cliff's departure doesn't seem to bother me too much. Even if Diallo or Zimmerman don't sign with KU, I would look forward to Hunter Mickelson getting quality minutes. Might be in the minority, but if the jayhawks start Landen Lucas at the 5 spot, it could be a long year.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 5 months ago

Hunter couldn't beat out Landen last year, yet you want him starting over Landen next year? If any of Jamari, Landen, or Hunter are starting next year, it's going to be another frustrating season because that would mean Carlton Bragg isn't as good as projected and KU likely would have struck out in recruiting as well.

Roger Tobias 7 years, 5 months ago

So one of our OAD's averaged under 10 a game, the other just over 7. One and done? Really? If Alexander thought early in the season he was undersized and not strong enough, what does he think he will be at the next level? Clearly he had no choice in this matter. I don't think he would have been a 2AD. Maybe he needs to contact Ed O'Bannon.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 5 months ago

Let's analyze how poor a coach Bill Self is:

1] 11 Straight conference titles..Wooden, Coach K, Rupp, Phog, did any of them do that?

2] Has gotten KU to the NCAA every year of his Kansas career.

3] Has been to the Final Four twice as well named National Coach of the Year twice.

4] Unlike hundreds of other coaches, has won a National Championship.

5] Currently has the greatest home winning % in the NCAA.

Sure, he needs to improve his tournament coaching, sure he needs to loosen up and be more flexible, sure he needs to handle OADs better but to call for his firing is the very definition of insanity.

Just think of this idea. If Bill was fired by KU how long would it take and how many schools would try to contact him? THE ANSWER...just an instant and virtually all of them!!!

Michael Lorraine 7 years, 5 months ago

Sure he could improve his tournament coaching along with all the other head coaches. Every top program is littered with early round departures that don't live up to the regular season performances. That's just part of the craziness of the tournament. I haven't done the research but I bet since Bill Self has been at KU there are not more than a half dozen coaches with a better tournament record.

Allison Steen 7 years, 5 months ago

I think it was last year and bill self was in the top 10 with record in tourney, and closer to top 5. So you are absolutely correct.

RJ King 7 years, 5 months ago

Tony, Brycie went beddie-bye five hours ago in his super hero drop-seat footie pj's. It would be more effective to just quote something from Goodnight Moon.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 5 months ago

So expressing a different opinion from all you liberal group thinkers makes me a child who should be seen and not heard? Go ahead and keep singing Bill Self's praises if you want like the sheeple that you are, I guess.

RJ King 7 years, 5 months ago

Bryce - It has nothing to do with a different opinion. What aggravates us is your deliberate and repeated use of the 36pt ALL CAP font. It's not like you're the only one who has figured out how to do that. The rest of us just show some restraint.

It's your incessant use of "Cry-Clones." It's the F-Bombs you've dropped during game blogs. Saying something louder or repeatedly makes it neither more true or more amusing. If you want to be snarky, be funny. See Joel McHale or Seth Meyers.

Your basketball knowledge is adequate. Beyond that, most of your comments feel like the relentless fly at a picnic.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 5 months ago

Now the pressure is really on the coaching staff to get it done on the recruiting trail. The program can absolutely NOT handle a miss on the trail this year given the current state it is in. Have to land 2 of the remaining 5 stars or next year is going to be rough

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 5 months ago

Just what state is that? So according to you KU is doomed with Mason, Graham, Selden, Greene, Ellis, Lucas, Mickelson, Traylor, Bragg? I feel a lot better about that lineup going into next year than I did the lineup coming into '14-15. Oubre had a positive impact on Selden and Lucas looks to have a much better season next year than Alexander had this year if given the chance, not to mention Mason and Graham will be deadly together. Relax...maybe you were being facetious?

Ben Simonett 7 years, 5 months ago

Thats the same team as this year minus is best player in oubre. You just replaced one undersized big who needs alot of development in Alexander for another in Bragg

RJ King 7 years, 5 months ago

Except that everyone returning is a year older, and more experienced.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 5 months ago

And still lacks a low post scoring threat. KU needs a back to basketball player that can be the low in the high low or it's going to be another frustrating season. It will be a good team as is, but not national title contender good and may not even be good enough to win the Big 12 with the progress ISU and OU are making.

RJ King 7 years, 5 months ago

yes, I totally agree with you. I was just debating the literal aspect of the comment from B-Bob about "the same team" (how the loss of Oubre might be compensated by the development of other players). But you're absolutely right as to how an apples to oranges team ('15 to '16) would stack up among the others in the league and at tournament time.

Brian Wilson 7 years, 5 months ago

Have you seen Bragg play. Bragg plays big! Alexander couldn't move his two left feet and was not an OAD. HE needed a year or two to find his footwork. I would take Bragg and Greene over Alexander and Oubre. I do admit that I think Oubre may have the most NBA upside, but not as an college freshman OAD.

Alan Dickey 7 years, 5 months ago

I expect KU is going to be better next year than in a long time, assuming that everyone but Oubre and Alexander will return next year.

Next year, we will return 9 of our 10 players who played significant minutes during the last five games last year.
In 2014-15, we returned 6 of our 9 players who played significant minutes during the last five games the preceding year.

In 2015-16, these include: 3 seniors; 4 juniors; and 2 sophomores.

In 2014-15, these included: 0 seniors; 2 juniors; and 4 sophomores.

In 2007-08, these included: 4 seniors; 2 juniors; and 2 sophomores (not counting Morningstar, who redshirted).

By comparison last year, the starters in the last five games were:

For KU: 0 seniors; 1 junior; 2 sophomores; 2 freshmen.

For WSU: 2 seniors; 3 juniors; 0 sophomores.

For Wisc: 2 seniors; 1 junior; 2 sophomores.

For UKy: 0 seniors; 1 junior; 2 sophomores; 2 freshmen.

It is no coincidence that WSU was able to beat KU with less overall talent; and Wisc. was able to beat UK with less overall talent. Duke did beat Wisc. with more talent, but barely, and UK lost with a bunch of 5-star freshmen to Robert Morris with almost exclusively seniors and juniors in 2013.

Next year, we should have the most mature teams we have had in many years. I think regardless of Bragg or anyone else, we will be a lot better

Rodney Crain 7 years, 5 months ago

We went 8-6 down the stretch. Are we going to improve to 10-4? Losing the last game of the conference season again, in the B12 tournament again, and maybe the first game of the sweet 16? Three out of the last 5? Last years team, might get better, they might not. I would rather not hope for improvement.

We need some new players, especially in the paint, or we are likely going to struggle again with scoring and defense again.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 5 months ago

We need players who want to play at KU instead of players who use KU to springboard into the NBA.

That wont happen next year.

Bill Corey 7 years, 5 months ago

I think HCBS would ideally like to develop a team like Wisconsin has done. Which is great if you want to make it to the NC game every 71 years. I know we don't want a sleezy program like Kentucky. And one could argue that CaliPIMP has under performed with the talent he has had recently. So the solution is a better handling of OAD's and mixing with experienced players. However, HCBS is so rigidly wedded to an inside-out offense. Sure it's been successful with an 83% winning record. However, I see too few professional teams that play inside-out. Sure they have big centers to protect the rim and rebound but, anymore, they rarely run their offense through the center. Exception Duncan with San Antonio. At one time Shaq. But anymore the pro scoring is outside, 3 point shots, and wings slashing to the basket. And potential guard/wing OAD's know this and I think they want to go to college programs that will let them shine. HCBS will not allow that much freedom so we are often not attractive to really talented guard/wing OAD's. Let's hope we can shore up the low post and get back to Billy Ball. Win Big 12 and, unfortunately, flame out in NCAA again and again and again. Dunno! Unless HCBS can modify his coaching. If you don't agree be kind. I readily confess I know virtually nothing about basketball and I am the world's worst basketball player. But I've been loyal through 27 seasons since '88. I'd like another NC before I die but.................

Alan Dickey 7 years, 5 months ago

Can't get rid of crazy massive bolding format so I will try again. (Happened again, but when I replaced number signs with "No.", it went away.)

Alan Dickey 7 years, 5 months ago

"And potential guard/wing OAD's know this and I think they want to go to college programs that will let them shine. HCBS will not allow that much freedom so we are often not attractive to really talented guard/wing OAD's."

Self's recruiting of guards and wings is not the problem IMO:

No. 2 SF of 2014 Class (6th overall) - Kelly Oubre

No. 7 SG of 2014 Class (Rivals 5-Star) Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk

No. 1 SF of 2013 Class (1st overall) - Andrew Wiggins

No. 6 SF of 2013 Class (29th overall) - Brannen Greene

No. 2 SG of 2013 Class (12th overall) - Wayne Selden

No. 1 PG of 2010 Class (1st overall) - Josh Selby

No. 1 SG of 2009 Class (8th overall) - Xavier Henry

No. 5 PG of 2009 Class (27th overall) - Elijah Johnson

No. 4 PG of 2006 Class (21st overall) - Sherron Collins

No. 1 SF of 2005 Class (8th overall) - Julian Wright

No. 2 PG of 2005 Class (12th overall) - Mario Chalmers

No. 2 SF of 2005 Class (13th overall) - Brandon Rush

No. 7 SG of 2004 Class (27th overall) - Russell Robinson

Joe Ross 7 years, 5 months ago

Im still stuck on the part where Cliff states:

"I talked this over with my mom and my dad and we decided the timing was right for me to enter the NBA Draft."

So wasn't it just several weeks ago when Cliff was trying to distance himself from his mother by saying he was moving forward on decision making with his father...without his mother's input?

Am I missing something here?

Alan Dickey 7 years, 5 months ago

Right. Mommy said: " Sorry son, I took out a loan on your future. Now you must quit your college development, after I ruined it any way."

Gordon Penny 7 years, 5 months ago

You know, Cliff's mom can't collateralize Cliff's future earning. She really couldn't even sign a UCC form, either. Only Cliff can collateralize his future earnings. That is why this whole things smells fishy. If there was a loan and if his future earnings were the collateral, Cliff most certainly had to be in on it.

Suzi Marshall 7 years, 5 months ago

There is so much BS on this story but nobody is fooled. I can not believe the Alexander family could be so callous or stupid to place there son and an entire team in jeopardy. Of course, his leaving is the best means to insure the NCAA never gets the documents they requested, which would place our title in doubt.

Brad Farha 7 years, 5 months ago

What do you think happened here? I'm starting to think it's as simple as his mom taking out a loan with an agent co-signing it, mistakenly thinking that it wouldn't be an issue.

David Gisi 7 years, 5 months ago

I was wondering that as well. Perhaps the young man just included his mother in discussion out of respect. Likely he and his father had already determined that it was best to move on since he either has no eligibility left or would be facing a difficult fight to get it back. Then just included her in the decision, because she is involved in the matter whether he wants her to be or not. After all, his money will have to pay back the loan. Maybe there is more to speculate, but it could just be that he has enough maturity to acknowledge his mother, even if she wasn't involved in the actual decision.

Michael Bennett 7 years, 5 months ago

It's a statement for the media, I would take it with a grain of salt. I highly doubt he took much time in crafting that sentence.

Joe Ross 7 years, 5 months ago

That's just it. I don't think he crafted it at all. I think the statement is a true and honest reflection of what actually took place. Meaning that earlier comments with regard to taking only his father's consult into advisement was likely a sham.

Seems to me Cliff and his mother have been marching in lockstep all along.

Tyler Capone 7 years, 5 months ago

Ben did u say Oubre was our best player? Am I missing something here...

Greg Lux 7 years, 5 months ago

I said it before and I will say it again. What business is it of the NCAA anyway. If a player of his family can strike a financial deal the an lending institution What competitive edge does that give the player or team. This "should" be none of the NCAA's business. What possible harm or advantage is borrowing money on possible earnings have against another team. If a person or business wants to lend money why should the NCAA care about what the collateral is anyway. It far past time for the NCAA to stop it's high handed control of things that have nothing to do with competitive advantage. Best of luck in the future Cliff and thanks for becoming a lifetime member of our Jayhawk Nation.

Arthur Ankeney 7 years, 5 months ago

Alexander had potential with another year in college. I do not see his role in the NBA. He is way to small to be a power rebounder. His only chance would be to shift up to the 3 spot. He could be a good rebounder there. But Alexander does not have any sort of ball handling or shooting to compliment the position. I really do not understand his role in the NBA.

Kyle Neuer 7 years, 5 months ago

If T-Rob is having trouble getting minutes, what chance does Cliff have, really?

Dennis Strick 7 years, 5 months ago

What does Jerrance Howard know about all of this and when did he know it? If he kept his Illinois arrest hidden from coach what else did he keep hidden? Seems like it is time for him to find another court.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 5 months ago

This is a valid question because of Howard's actions. Jerrance Howard was the lead recruiter of Cliff Alexander and his actions this past year have given a legitimate reason to question if there's anything else he's withheld from Self as an employee. Howard has lost the trust of a lot of people when it was revealed that Bill Self didn't know about the arrest until 6 months after the fact and that Howard had no intentions of telling anyone about the arrest.

Alex Resnik 7 years, 5 months ago

All of you guys that are happy to see Cliff go, you better not be the same people telling Self to stop recruiting OAD's. It is a bad situation that Cliff is in, but we can all agree that he needed at least another year at KU. The fact is, it is really hard to tell if a player is going to be a true OAD or not. 1. Harrrison twins - KY 2. Dakari Johns - KY 3. Isaiah Austin - Baylor 4. Tarc - Zona 5. Smart - Ok. St 6. Ridley - TX There are 7 players that were all considered OAD when they entered college. They all stayed at least 2 years and all had good success (except for Ridley.. cause you know.. Barnes and all).

Now here we are in a situation with Alexander, he would have been a much better player had he stayed another year. That is Self recruiting a OAD that could have stayed 2 years.

And now how do we fill the void of losing Alexander?? Getting a potential OAD! The perfect get would be Zimmerman or Diallo or Maker. Would we all celebrate if, instead of one of those guys Self gets Shawntrez Davis?? No we wouldn't. We would complain that Self missed again.

Yes OAD's are going to have their share of problems. But that is the age we are living in today. We had to accept it and trust in Self to do the right thing and to recruit players to fit his system.

Joseph Bullock 7 years, 5 months ago

First of all, Coach Self thought Joel would be back this year, but Tarik could not stay out of foul trouble, and Joel blossomed. Next season, anyone who things Bragg is the answer at the 5, does not know anything about basketball! Give me Thon Maker, and Jaylen Brown. if we get those two, we are in business. If we also happen to steal Malik Newman, that would be great, but I'm not sure that will happen. Diablo is a great player, but not what we need at the Center position. Zimmerman would also be a great addition, but my guess is he stays out West (but I read somewhere, that K. Townsend was the last Coach, from any team, to actually meet with him in person, so who knows)! If we don't get Maker or Zimmerman, we will get Thorne (the transfer from Charlotte), who would also be a great fit at the 5, in Coach Selfs system, at 6'11' & 270 pounds, but I'mm not sure if he is the 'Rim Protector' we need, at his weight. Oh, and yes, Coach Self needs to loosen up and bit, and instill more confidence in his players. That worked in the past, but it does not seem to be working now, and it was evident in Omaha, as I could see the body language of him, and the players, vs. Marshalls, and the WSU players. He also, in my opinion, should not be so set on 'that's my guy', as in Frank Mason, when Frank plays out of control, and forgets to get the ball inside, because he is trying to out ply the other teams PG! Or like when he said, early in the year, Elijah is 'my guy', and stayed with him, as terrible as he was playing against Michigan (and let us not forget what EJ did to start the game, getting the 'T', where I was surprised he did not get ejected)! His head was never in the game, and the coach has to know that! But to want Coach Self fired, you are idiots! We 'WILL' have a great season, in 2015/2016, and not just winning the Big12 Conference Title! We will do great in the NCAA Tournament. Let's all remember the 'fair weather fans/quitters, here!

Bryce Landon 7 years, 5 months ago

Why shouldn't we want Coach Self fired? He keeps losing to lower seeds in the NCAA Tournament (including three times to Missouri Valley schools), he's lost 19 games the past two seasons, and the program is stagnating just like Texas did in Rick Barnes' final seven years. We're rapidly losing ground on a national level to UConn, Duke and Kentucky, we're losing ground in our conference to Iowa State, Oklahoma, West Virginia, and even Texas with their hiring of Shaka Smart, and we just lost our credibility in our own state by getting clowned by Wichita State. The bar has been lowered to Ted Owens standards where winning the conference is good enough. That is the sign of a program that's getting flabby and fat. A coaching change is the only way to reverse these disturbing trends.

Fire Bill Self!

Greg Lux 7 years, 5 months ago

I would rather fire you and Keep Self...

Joe Ross 7 years, 5 months ago

Bryce,

Your comments are ripe with dogmatism. Bill Self isn't going anywhere, but aside from the fact that this obviously grieves you, could you please do us all a favor and resist the temptation to reiterate the same three words in bold-face type in comment after comment? Im trying to be generous, but it gets fairly annoying at some point. Circulate a petition or something if that's what you prefer, but outside of that your insistence on carrying on with the same mantra smacks of attention-seeking behavior. We all know how you feel by now. Youre better than that.