Friday, October 26, 2012

KUsports.com staff’s Week 9 college football picks

KUsports.com staff picks.

KUsports.com staff picks.

The following are the Journal-World staffers' picks for Week 9 of the college football season.

Week 9 games

Texas at Kansas

Texas Tech at Kansas State

Notre Dame at Oklahoma

Baylor at Iowa State

TCU at Oklahoma State

Michigan at Nebraska

Off-the-wall question: Who would you say is the most annoying person on television?

Associate sports editor Drew Hartsock (30-12 overall, 5-1 in Week 8)

Texas 41, Kansas 14

Kansas State 56, Texas Tech 55

Oklahoma 55, Notre Dame 42

Baylor 77, Iowa State 70, 4OT

Oklahoma State 35, TCU 28

Nebraska 21, Michigan 17

Question: Anybody on any of the so-called reality shows (except those on The Food Network, 'cause the Food Network rocks).

Sports copy editor Chris Cottrell (30-12 overall, 6-0 in Week 8)

Texas 42, Kansas 14

Kansas State 31, Texas Tech 21

Oklahoma 35, Notre Dame 31

Iowa State 24, Baylor 23

Oklahoma State 27, TCU 24

Nebraska 24, Michigan 21

Question: Ann Coulter.

KU football beat writer Matt Tait (29-13 overall, 5-1 in Week 8)

Kansas 21, Texas 20

Kansas State 35, Texas Tech 27

Oklahoma 37, Notre Dame 21

Iowa State 23, Baylor 20

TCU 30, Oklahoma State 28

Nebraska 31, Michigan 23

Question: For me, it's a tie between NFL quarterbacks Jay Cutler and Philip Rivers. Watching both guys "play" gets me unreasonably riled up. Ryan Seacrest is right up there, though.

High school beat reporter Benton Smith (28-14 overall, 4-2 in Week 8)

Texas 48, Kansas 27

Kansas State 27, Texas Tech 20

Oklahoma 27, Notre Dame 17

Iowa State 37, Baylor 31

Oklahoma State 34, TCU 30

Michigan 30, Nebraska 28

Question: Jay Leno.

KU men's basketball beat writer Gary Bedore (27-15 overall, 4-2 in Week 8)

Texas 48, Kansas 10

Kansas State 35, Texas Tech 24

Oklahoma 40, Notre Dame 17

Iowa State 41, Baylor 30

Oklahoma State 35, TCU 17

Nebraska 37, Michigan 14

Question: Lindsay Lohan and her entire family. I think the dad was on Celebrity Rehab; Lohan herself is a train wreck and the mom acted either drunk or like a wacko on Dr. Phil. This is celebrity in America gone berserk. All three of them need serious help and should be off TV forever.

KUsports.com online editor Jesse Newell (27-15 overall, 5-1 in Week 8)

Texas 42, Kansas 17

Kansas State 38, Texas Tech 35

Oklahoma 28, Notre Dame 14

Iowa State 31, Baylor 21

Oklahoma State 42, TCU 24

Michigan 27, Nebraska 21

Question: Rex Hudler. I hear he's a good guy and that he works hard, but he's just the exact opposite of what I think a baseball analyst should be. If I can't get the radio synced up to Denny Matthews, I watch Royals games on TV with the mute button on.

Sports copy editor Nick Gerik (26-16 overall, 4-2 in Week 8)

Texas 34, Kansas 17

Kansas State 40, Texas Tech 21

Oklahoma 24, Notre Dame 14

Iowa State 28, Baylor 27

TCU 33, Oklahoma State 27

Michigan 24, Nebraska 23

Question: That actor/actress on that one show with the laugh track.

Sports editor Tom Keegan (24-18 overall, 3-3 in Week 8)

Texas 35, Kansas 14

Kansas State 41, Texas Tech 31

Oklahoma 35, Notre Dame 28

Iowa State 42, Baylor 35

Oklahoma State 42, TCU 20

Michigan 31, Nebraska 28

Question: MSNBC's Rachel Maddow

Comments

B0B 9 years, 9 months ago

no Tom Keegan?

did that crap show get canceled?

texashawk10 9 years, 9 months ago

Most annoying people on TV, Kardashian sluts, Jersey Shore idiots, politicians (both parties), and anyone from reality shows who try to extend their 15 minutes of fame beyond appearing on whatever reality show they were on.

KGphoto 9 years, 9 months ago

ANY Kardashian. Or Bruce, or Kris Humphries. Thank goodness for SNL. They are so good at describing why.

Mick Allen 9 years, 9 months ago

Tom, I hope you put Rachel Maddow's name because Ann Coulter name was mentioned earlier and you just wanted it to be "fair and balanced" ha ha.

Katie Bieber 9 years, 9 months ago

Now we know enough to draw some conclusions as to why Cottrell's record is leading the pool, while Keegan writes articles denouncing numbers.

justinryman 9 years, 9 months ago

Skip Bayless

That might make this a walk off post

Joseph Kuebel 9 years, 9 months ago

Ya, Bayless takes the cake. He does a good job of getting people riled up, albeit at the expense of his credibility and knowledge... Like when he predicted the Jazz sweep of the Bulls (while writing for the Chicago Tribune) 2 years in a row; he soon after left to work for the San Jose Mercury News as Chicago had enough of his antics.

Ron Prichard 9 years, 9 months ago

Wow...no one giving the Hawks ANY love at all except for Tait. I get it if you don't pick KU, Bedore, but 48-10? That's harsh.

KU 34 (including 2 made field goals) , UT 30. I don't know why, but I think KU will score more points in this game than most people think. Of course, I could be way off the mark. After all, I am the one who said Gangnam Style would never be played on the radio unless it was translated. Foolish me!

Reuben_J_Cogburn 9 years, 9 months ago

+1000. Both for your prediction and Gangnam Style. And I should say, "thanks for Gangnam Style."

But this game is going to be different than people think. I believe Weis will be able to shift the attitude of these players during this second half of the season. Not that their attitude hasn't been great, because it has. But they may start to loosen up more and just go play.

We may not have a lot of talent, but the talent we do have is capable of exciting things. If they start playing like there's no tomorrow (because they should), it could still be fun to watch.

Stay the course. Keep the faith.

Micky Baker 9 years, 9 months ago

Most annoying person on TV? A liberal on a talk show on MSNBC, CNN, Fox News, ABC News, or NBC Nightly news. Doesn't matter which one it is.

KGphoto 9 years, 9 months ago

Congrats. You win the "First One To Go There" award. It's a pile of poo.

No Politics!

Micky Baker 9 years, 9 months ago

You think I care what you think? I just answered the question honestly. Want my laywer's number so you can file that lawsuit?

-1000.

By the way, liberals are the reason I don't watch cable tv news any more. But they're still annoying, even when I can't hear them.

Micky Baker 9 years, 9 months ago

-100000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I didn't ask the question. I answered it.

Jack Jones 9 years, 9 months ago

ANN COULTER,ANN COULTER,ANN COULTER,ANN COULTER,ANN COULTER,ANN COULTER, AD INFINITUM

AND NOT JUST ON TV - ON EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!! A REAL NUT CASE, IF THERE WAS EVER ONE.

OH, ONE MORE THING - ANN COULTER

Cody Riedy 9 years, 9 months ago

Matt - Don't tell me you're part of the personality police? You praise Weis all the time for being a good guy, while the larger narrative of him continues to be that he's an arrogant jerk. Now you are buying into the Cutler hysteria?

LAJayhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Conversation heard in the Sports Department of the LJ World late Thursday night:

--"Man, we could really use some more internet clicks on our weekly picks link. We don't get enough comments on there."

--"I hear ya, but what can we do? Weekly pics are what they are. They're only so interesting."

--"Yeah, I guess.... hey, wait a minute. I've got an idea."

--"What?"

--"What if we throw out two political pundits, one from each side, and call them both annoying!"

--"A week and a half before a national election? A little obvious isn't it?"

--"Pshh. Please. The board rats won't figure that out. They're just monkeys pushing the button for more heroin. They need to pointlessly and anonymously argue over unrelated and irrelevant topics in which there is no winner except anger and division."

--"Huh."

--"But, wait. It gets better. We can make money off that!"

--"But doesn't that kind of go against our oath as journalist to just deliver the news and not try to create it...... bwahahahaha! I almost said that with a straight face!! Print it up."

LAJayhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Editor's Note:

Just a little humorous satire. No offense intended. I still love all you guys.

amatxjayhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Who the hell is Nebraska and why are they on this list? No one cares.

The answer to the last question must be Conan the O'Brien.

Ian Ballinger 9 years, 9 months ago

Bill Maher... and I pray your right Matt!

Micky Baker 9 years, 9 months ago

Okay, I'm going out on a limb here with Matt Tait, but I say

Kansas 35(no field goals) Texas 24

A signature win for Weis. I really do hope that the playbook opens up.

If Pierson to complement Sims... and Cummings simply takes what Texas gives him in the passing game, like the short dump offs over the middle to Pierson and Sims, or whoever, we will have a chance to frustrate Texas all day long.

Kent Wells 9 years, 9 months ago

I really want to pick KU. I really do. But until there is a field goal threat outside the 5-yard line, I can only predict we score 21 points today. If that is enough, who knows....

Dick Vitale (it has just gotten okd).