Monday, July 2, 2012

Conner Frankamp helps U.S. rip Egypt

— Future Kansas University guard Conner Frankamp scored 18 points as the United States clobbered Egypt, 111-73, in the Men’s Under 17 world championships.

The U.S. improved to 3-0 at the tournament, while Egypt fell to 0-3.

Jabari Parker, a senior forward from Chicago’s Simeon High School, who has KU on his list of prospective schools also had 18.

“I was kind of getting in the flow of the game,” said Frankamp, a point guard from Wichita North who hit eight of 13 shots, including two of four threes, in 21 minutes. “I felt like I wasn’t getting bad shots, so I’m going to take them when I can.”

Frankamp also had four rebounds and two steals against one turnover.

“We came out with a lot more intensity in the second half,” said Frankamp. The U.S. led 50-37 at the break. “The first half we were really slow and we didn’t really care as much.”

Comments

AsadZ 9 years, 10 months ago

I can't wait to see this kid in KU uniform

Ethan Berger 9 years, 10 months ago

I wonder what impact these performances will have on his national perception.

Curtis Stutz 9 years, 10 months ago

Correction kD, playing better than Parker. He's probably not on the court much with Parker if they are the 2 leading scorers, otherwise I'd get excited about the prospects of them becoming tight friends and Parker wanting to follow him to KU.

flyingfinn 9 years, 10 months ago

Doesn't matter what his "rating" is this, kid is for real and will be a great asset for FOUR years at KU. Can wait till he gets here, only hope Perry Ellis is not a one and done so they get to play together!!!!

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 10 months ago

I agree that Ellis isn't thinking one-and-done. He feels no pressure from a family situation, and seems sincerely dedicated to his education. Maybe he's a throw-back to the days when kids went to college for four years and then moved on to the NBA.

Cameron Cederlind 9 years, 10 months ago

18 points in 21 minutes, that's a hell of an output.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 10 months ago

"meticulous"...what a great word to describe basketball possession.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 10 months ago

Maybe Conner and Jabari playing together and representing their country will be a big advantage for Kansas recuitment-wise. Any thoughts?

Alohahawk 9 years, 10 months ago

See my comments under the Czech Republic headline yesterday, and further down below. Agree completely. It surely can't hurt.

HawkKlaw 9 years, 10 months ago

The rankings don't tell me nearly as much as my own eyes do. This kid's the real deal and I can't wait to watch him tear up the Big 12.

Jeff Suther 9 years, 10 months ago

It sucks he is from kansas so you know he will end up not being very good at KU.

Sam Brockert 9 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, The Wayne Simien guy SUCKED at KU Didn't he?

Micky Baker 9 years, 10 months ago

Big Dub was from Kansas, and the kid that was named 6th man of the year. I can't remember his name, but he was from Kansas too. Was it Steve Woodberry? And I think he played at Wichita South.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

Frankamp's play in this kind of ball is certainly encouraging.

8 of 13 is music to my ears from a guard.

KGphoto 9 years, 10 months ago

And he was #1 overall in A/TO ratio, 4.5/1.

Thanks for the links.

hawkmoon2020 9 years, 10 months ago

One could argue that CF is playing like a leading candidate for MVP in this championship given his success (if they give out MVPs). One could also argue that he is "under-rated" by various ranking sources. Based on the player rankings of Rivals' 2013 & 2014 classes, I would argue that CF is MVP caliber, AND "under-rated." Case in point:

J. Parker - #1 (2013) J. Williams - #17 (2013) K. Nunn - #22 (2013) S. Damingo - #29 (2013) C. Frankamp - #42 (2013)

J. Okafor - #3 (2014) T. Jones - #4 (2014) D, Johnson #6 (2014) J. Winslow #7 (2014) S. Johnson #18 (2014) J. Berry #32 (2014)

This was a quick study, so feel free to fact-check and critique. Go Conner!!!!

RJ King 9 years, 10 months ago

Perhaps being under-ranked has Frankamp providing a few under-statements as well. I know it's within the context of a particular game, but Connor defines 50 points at the break as "really slow," and 8 of 13 in 21 minutes as "kind of getting in to the flow." Kind of???

I'm both impressed and amused. You gotta love this kid!

Jack Wilson 9 years, 10 months ago

I take the 5th amendment, for what I have to say may incriminate me as a "Debbie Downer", "Negative Nancy", "wet blanket", pessimist, fool, contrarian, idiot, or as blind, ignorant, predictable, stupid -- you fill in the blank.

Have a great day.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Question(s):

Did you pick us to win the Big 12 title last year?

Did you pick us to go to the National Championship game?

Hope for the best and see what happens.

KGphoto 9 years, 10 months ago

I know where you're going with this. For one, it's a wonky tournament. They are just kids and they are being matched up against other kids from other countries with totally different ideas of how the game is played. Then they are being matched up with teams like Egypt who probably don't belong in this tournament any way. And it appears from the stat sheets konkey provided, that the whole thing is really geared toward scorers like Frankamp. I mean, the whole U.S. team is averaging 42% from three, and that would be 50% if Parker and Nunn had wisely refrained. Frankamp and Domingo are running a clinic from beyond the arc.

You have to admit though, the kid can shoot a little, and he's putting up numbers across the board. You can argue his overall leading 4.5/1 asst/to ratio is because of an offensive-minded tournament, but when you see he is stealing 3/game, it doesn't add up. How can CF, and CF alone, be allowed to defend?

I think we have something here.

HawkKlaw 9 years, 10 months ago

Awwww, dang it. Another kid who doesn't live up to HEM's standards???!!!

Color me shocked.

Lance Hobson 9 years, 10 months ago

HighElite, this is the time to get excited about a player.

hawkmoon2020 9 years, 10 months ago

A little clarity for all. Haven't seen anyone here claim CF is the "Second Coming," but seriously, how can you not get excited to see this "local product" in a Jayhawk uniform? Sure his 2012-2013 play will shed more light on his potential as a KU - D1 player, but the kid is simply a winner, and will certainly grow his talents even more under HCBS's system. What's exciting is that he appears to have a mental and physical skill-set mixture of "Collins," "Hindrich," "Taylor," and "Chalmers." Regardless, he's here 4 years, and will definitely provide much "added value" to the team whether he starts or not. Anyone who thinks he will be nothing more than a bench-warmer, 3rd stinger, and/or rareley used backup PG/SG by the time he is a senior is, "not right in the head." LOL

REHawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Here's the thing, as I see it. Conner is a winner, and he plays point guard this summer on a national age group team full of topnotch talent. It might take a year for him to work his way into Bill Self's top 6 players, but I envision his production as essential to winning Jayhawk basketball, as his body develops and experience accumulates. EJ will graduate and BenMac is forecast as a lottery pick. Conner Frankamp might step into a situation wherein his skills are crucial, right from the getgo.

Robert Murphy 9 years, 10 months ago

I find you totally lovable, you sweet pea.

Robert Murphy 9 years, 10 months ago

The above comment was meant for HighEliteMajor only.

mikehawk 9 years, 10 months ago

My chance to see him play is only limited to YouTube, but I really liked what I saw. Maturity, basketball savvy, and talent. He appears to be a real player who lives and breathes basketball all the time. I am totally sure he could step onto the court this year, if it were possible, and compete for time. Hopefully, he can stay focused his senior year and continue to develop his game in a setting where the majority of the competition will be far below this young man.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 10 months ago

Really, Frankamp seems like the perfect type of recruit. Love the shooting ability. A sure-fire four year guy that by his junior season at the latest will likely be a major contributor. But you never know, it could come earlier as REHawk pointed out.

For 2013-14, we'll have Tharpe, McLemore, Adams(*see below), Doyle, right? Add Frankamp. Then what happens if we land Barber? Lots of numbers issues. But that's a good thing.

But with most guys, the players that come in with subsequent classes, and their skills, will dictate playing time, as will defense.

One thing we don't know is if he can stick on D. I have to claim ignorance on that.

No, no .. no Negative Nancy here.

***As a complete aside, no info from the LJW on Adams? He was supposed to be here yesterday (July 1), right?

Freedman Moor 9 years, 10 months ago

My hope is that Jabari Parker says to himself, "Man, I love playing with this Conner guy!! Where's he going to school?"

Alohahawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Same thing I said under the Czech republic headline yesterday. Jabari Parker is ranked #1 in 2013, and Jahlil Okafor is ranked #2 in 2014. And D. Johnson, also on this US under 17 team, is ranked in the top 10 in 2014. Nothing like a good PG who can distribute, and shoot high % 3's to open up the middle, (and play good "D"/steals for those breakout fastbreaks) to impress big's to want to play alongside him in college.

Jeeveshawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Scoring as many points as Jabari Parker is always impressive.