Friday, November 11, 2011

KUsports.com staff’s Week 11 college football picks

The following are the Journal-World staffers' picks for Week 11 of the college football season.

Week 11 games

Baylor at Kansas

Texas A&M; at Kansas State

Texas at Missouri

Nebraska at Penn State

Michigan at Illinois

Oregon at Stanford

Off-the-wall question: What is your favorite movie speech/monologue?

YouTube

President's speech in Independence Day

Matt Tait (39-15 overall, 3-3 in Week 10)

Baylor 59, Kansas 20

Kansas State 30, Texas A&M; 28

Texas 38, Missouri 30

Nebraska 31, Penn State 19

Illinois 33, Michigan 24

Stanford 39, Oregon 35

Question: I've always loved the president's speech from the movie "Independence Day." Maybe it's because I saw the flick on the 4th of July that year and that got me particularly pumped up.

YouTube

Glengarry elves

Tom Keegan (33-21 overall, 3-3 in Week 10)

Baylor 44, Kansas 31

Kansas State 24, Texas A&M; 21

Texas 35, Missouri 31

Nebraska 35, Penn State 24

Michigan 28, Illiniois 27

Stanford 38, Oregon 35

Question: Alec Baldwin's evil rant in Glengarry Glen Ross. (Warning: Video link has explicit language).

YouTube

A Few Good Men

Eric Sorrentino (31-23 overall, 3-3 in Week 10)

Baylor 42, Kansas 20

Kansas State 35, Texas A&M; 28

Texas 30, Missouri 27

Penn State 20, Nebraska 17

Michigan 24, Illinois 14

Stanford 49, Oregon 35

Question: In honor of the Marine Corps birthday from Thursday and Veterans Day today, I'm going with Jack Nicholson's epic speech in A Few Good Men. "You want me on that wall. You need me on that wall." (Warning: Video clip on left has explicit language at the end.)

Gary Bedore (30-24 overall, 2-4 in Week 10)

Baylor 51, Kansas 20

Texas A&M; 31, Kansas State 24

Missouri 35, Texas 29

Penn State 22, Nebraska 21

Michigan 35, Illinois 22

Stanford 41, Oregon 30

Question: Chevy Chase in Car in the original Vacation telling the family they are going to Wally World and not turning around and driving back to Chicago. (Warning: Video link has explicit language.)

YouTube

"People will come" in Field of Dreams

Jesse Newell (29-25 overall, 3-3 in Week 10)

Baylor 56, Kansas 21

Texas A&M; 35, Kansas State 28

Missouri 31, Texas 27

Penn State 24, Nebraska 21

Michigan 30, Illinois 20

Stanford 45, Oregon 42

Question: Terence Mann's "People will come" speech in Field of Dreams.

Comments

bad_dog 10 years, 6 months ago

So, Jesse, you're going with A&M for the win in Manhattan? Is KSU a no show?

texashawk10 10 years, 6 months ago

Love your Aggie pick Jesse. Much better slate of games to choose from this week KUSports. Thank you for not a bunch of middle and lower tier Big East games on here this week.

Baylor 56 Kansas 14

Griffin to Wright will happen all day long and occasionally Griffin will torch a KU defense that doesn't spy him. Thank god this game isn't on TV and I live out of the radio broadcast region or I would be a masochist for listening to it.

Kansas St. 38 Texas A&M 35

The only question to me is how big of a lead does A&M blow in this one. KSU has been the cardiac cats this year and A&M has blown a bunch of big leads.

Texas 34 Missouri 21

Is there a way for both teams to lose? Horns put Missouri on the brink of missing a bowl game.

Nebraska Penn St.

I have doubts about this one finishing because that is going to be a very volatile situation in State College and Nebraska could win by forfeit.

Michigan 42 Illinois 34

Michigan takes out some frustration from last week out on Illinois.

Oregon 34 Stanford 31

I just want to see Boise St. get their chance in a title game to get embarrass by an SEC team so we can all stop hearing about Boise deserving a title shot in the future. In order for that to happen, Stanford must lose this week otherwise they aren't losing to Arizona St. or UCLA in the PAC 12 title game.

Favorite speech from a movie: "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vtWB4owdE (Warning, if small children are watching, you might want to put some earmuffs on them)

Ryan Shelton 10 years, 6 months ago

Jesse, you stole my movie quote! Brilliant minds think alike, I suppose. A far distant second (for sports movies) might be the scene in Rudy where Fortune plays the part of a drill instructor:

"You're 5 foot nothin', 100 and nothin', and you have barely a speck of athletic ability. And you hung in there with the best college football players in the land for 2 years. And you're gonna walk outta here with a degree from the University of Notre Dame. In this life, you don't have to prove nothin' to nobody but yourself. And after what you've gone through, if you haven't done that by now, it ain't gonna never happen. Now go on back."

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

I believe this is the one you are quoting. Hey everybody loves visual aids.

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

Baylor at Kansas BU 77 KU 31 RG3 525 total yrds

Texas A&M at Kansas State A&M 17 ksu 13

Texas at Missouri TX 35 mu 17

Nebraska at Penn State PSU 24 NU 23

Michigan at Illinois Mich 28 Ill 10

Oregon at Stanford OU 54 Stan 45

Off-the-wall question: What is your favorite movie speech/monologue?

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

A close second for me, http://youtu.be/sBfdl6hNZ9k perhaps Kevin Costner's best speech.

Funhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

"This place is a dump!" Somebody help me find the movie where Bette Davis says that line. I used to work with a guy who said every day from his desk in Bette Davis slow voice, "This place is a Dump!" He sounded just like Bette Davis, including the way he slowly enunciated every word, especially "dump!" This Bette Davis line would make everyone chuckle.

gardenjay 10 years, 6 months ago

College football kind of sucks overall this week, and rightfully so.

However, I see no one has objected to my predicion of a KU victory tomorrow, so I'll take that as a sign of "a silent consensus of hope". ROCK CHALK!!!!!

Funhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

If KU football reminds me of a movie, it would be Love Story. Boy meets girl. Girl doesn't like boy. Girl finally likes boy. Girl dies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlkCO97PTYM&feature=related Never apologize for the players' efforts because "love means never having to say you're sorry." I have always loved KU football, even when KU fans didn't. There is still time for an upset for those who believe.

Jayhawk1116 10 years, 6 months ago

Not to be too critical, but surely, "surely" there is a better clip of the Glengarry clip than that?!? Some dude recording his TV?

danmoore 10 years, 6 months ago

Kansas 41, Baylor 38

I predicted KU would win 3 games this year and this is probably our best chance at a W.

Jayhawkintexas1973 10 years, 6 months ago

I'll take KU losing by less than 2 touchdowns today, but I just don't trust Gill and staff to coach.