Thursday, November 3, 2011

Keegan

Kansas TE Ted McNulty eager for ISU

Tight end Ted McNulty returning home to take on Cyclones

Kansas senior tight end and native Iowan Ted McNulty is looking forward to traveling back to his home state to take on ISU.

So far, it has been a good week for Kansas University athletes who came to school as walk-ons and earned scholarships.

Conner Teahan shot Kansas to a 84-55 exhibition victory Tuesday night against Pittsburg State in Allen Fieldhouse. Justin Wesley didn’t let his free-throw woes and uneven early play keep him from hustling his way to a stronger finish that included an emphatic, crowd-energizing blocked shot.

Fifth-year football senior Ted McNulty hopes to keep the theme going Saturday in his home state against Iowa State for a game that kicks off at 11:30 a.m. in Ames.

Proving he’s from Iowa, McNulty has a piece of memorabilia valued greatly by natives of Iowa City, home of Iowa Hawkeyes football: an autographed picture of Chuck Long, KU’s offensive coordinator.

“It’s from when he was with the (Detroit) Lions,” McNulty said. “My dad got it for me.”

Ted’s father, Jim McNulty, played at Iowa (1973-76) well before Long (1982-85).

“Bringing some Iowa City over here is always good,” said Ted McNulty, a reserve tight end. “Everybody knows (Long) and loves him up there.”

It’s only natural Ted should hate everything Cyclones, but he doesn’t. Former ISU coach Dan McCarney and Jim McNulty remain close friends from their days as Iowa teammates.

“I actually thought about going there for a little bit, but then once they got rid of Dan, I wasn’t considering them anymore,” Ted said. “We kind of had a torn family. Gotta support the Hawkeyes, born and raised in Iowa City, but we made it to a lot of Cyclones’ games.”

Ted’s kid brother Andrew, a first-team all-state selection at Iowa City High in 2010, is a freshman at North Texas, where McCarney is in his second year as head coach. Andrew has completed 28 of 51 passes for 352 yards and a touchdown.

College football can be a small world. When Ted went to a North Texas game during KU’s bye week, he not only watched a coach and quarterback he had known his whole life, he also visited with Mean Green defensive coordinator Clint Bowen, who was at KU for Ted’s first three seasons.

Both of Ted McNulty’s career receptions have been for 11 yards, one in the 2010 victory against Georgia Tech, one this season in a loss at Oklahoma State. His other big catch came in the form of a scholarship coach Turner Gill surprised him with, breaking the news to him in the first team meeting of fall camp.

“That was a pretty good way to start the season,” McNulty said. “I accomplished one of my goals when I first got here, so that was huge. You just have to keep setting goals and going after them.”

Winning at Iowa State in front of 30 friends and family members is another.

“It’s my last chance to play football in Iowa, so it’s a big one,” he said. “This one’s been circled for me on the calendar for a long time.”

— Sports editor Tom Keegan can be reached at 832-7147.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

At last count there are 9 different people name dropped in this article.

Bville Hawk 10 years, 6 months ago

And your point is? That all names excluding (I assume) McNulty are superfluous?

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

Sure Keegs put his phone number on an article not bashing something KU.

Jayhawk1116 10 years, 6 months ago

Heard this morning on 810 that Jim Harbaugh was set to accept the job at KU, but wanted to coach the Stanford bowl game and Lew said no.

Mat Davis 10 years, 6 months ago

I doubt Harbaugh would have come to KU. He had a good thing going at Stanford, and it was no secret that his goal was to coach in the NFL. The Harbaugh brothers have major sibling rivalry and I'm sure it's a race to see who can win the Super Bowl first. 810 seems erronous on this one.

Jayhawk1116 10 years, 6 months ago

It wasn't 810 reporting it, it was a some dude from ESPN they were talking to that confirmed it.

Bville Hawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Well, damn, but I guess he would be gone by now anyhow. Only good thing is we probably would have gotten some buy-out money from the 49ers.

MDHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

The interview with Jeff Chadiha is where they talk about Harbaugh, and Chadiha confirmed that Harbaugh was slated to coach here. The deal-breaker was that he wanted to coach Stanford in their bowl game, which Lew forbade. That is sickening...they went on to suggest that the contract Gill has (which is obviously way more than we should've paid him, at least to start) was meant for Harbaugh. That makes disgusting sense.

Certainly very disappointing to say the least, if it were to be true. I'm sure he would've been gone to the NFL after a few seasons, but he sure could've provided some good football here for a while, and the ripples might've sustained things for a while. Ah, the "what if" game.

Mat Davis 10 years, 6 months ago

1. It's neither here nor there. What might have been doesn't do any of us any good. 2. It would have been a lateral move for Harbaugh. I love KU as much as anyone, but I fail to see how him coming here would have developed his career. 3. Off topic, but Michigan dropped the ball by not hiring him.

actorman 10 years, 6 months ago

I don't buy it for a second. There's not one single logical reason why Harbaugh would have left Stanford for KU.

Funhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

If we had more enjoyable articles like this one, maybe that black cloud hovering over this website would evaporate.

AzNHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Agreed. I've become more of a lurker within this dark cloud.

MDHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

+1...I use this site as my study break, and lately I've barely been willing to look at it. All you read are stories of how bad our football team is and folks bashing Coach Gill. Not that I necessarily disagree with the expressed sentiment and disappointment, but it's sure been pretty rough lately. This was a good article.

142466 10 years, 6 months ago

KU football fans should accept mediocrity and reward a coach who can consistently deliver it. I'm serious.

I've followed KU football for over 60 years. Several decades ago I concluded that KU foottball is locked into a deleterious, repeating, cycle. Everything I've seen since confirms it.

About every 10 years KU hires, usually by accident, a coach who consistently delivers mediocre seasons (.500 seasons, + or - a game or two). Then, unexpectedly, this coach delivers an excellent season (by KU standards), say 8 and 4 or 9 and 3. Then the coach descends back to mediocrity for 1, 2, or 3 straight years. By the time all that has occured, KU fires him, runs him out of town. Then guess what happens? I know, because I've seen it so many times. KU football descends to the depths of hell for the next 3 to 4 years, goes through several horrible coaches, and then finally finds a mediocre coach. The cycle begins anew.

The names of some of those mediocre coaches are Mitchell, Mason, and Mangino. I call those 3 guys KU's M & M boys. There are others.

During my 7 year sojourn on Mt. Oread, I saw 5 mediocre FB years followed by two lousy seasons. My son attended KU during the mediocre phase of the cycle. My daughter experienced 3 mediocre years, followed by a new coach and an abysmal season.

I feel sorry for the kids attending KU now. They will witness few entertaining games at Memorial Stadium for the next few years. Bad luck, bad timing. Saturday autumn afternoons on the hill are some of my fondest student memories. The games were usually competitive and entertaining.

Will the cycle ever be broken? I doubt it. KU's football destiny is mediocrity.

A couple of other things. Neither KU, KSU, nor MU should even dream of winning a B12 football championship, so long as there are fewer than 12 teams in the league.

Finally, during my long life, I saw a college football league attain its football destiny of excellence. The SEC. I am not an SEC fan. That's not the reason I say that. The SEC attained their destiny as a reward for begrudgingly, but in the end, sincerely, accepting the changes wrought by the US revolution that was the 1960s. For a Yankee like me, that was a satisfying bargain.