Friday, February 11, 2011

Keegan

Tyshawn Taylor still learning on job

Videos

Bill Self weekly press conference, Feb. 10, 2011

video thumbnail

Kansas head coach Bill Self addressed the media at his weekly press conference on Thursday, Feb. 10, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

The shots driving basketball players take off the dribble have many names, “floaters” and “teardrops” among them. The way Tyshawn Taylor delivered them the past couple of games, bullets and fire hoses more accurately described their velocity and trajectory.

Yet, while replays of the line drives loop in our minds, the brain of the Kansas University junior guard’s coach is trained elsewhere.

“I don’t have a problem with that,” KU coach Bill Self said of Taylor’s floaters. “The thing about it is, with attacking the rim, you force help, you force the big guys to come help. So if you get it up on the rim, or up on the glass, your big guys have a free path to come rebound it. Even though those don’t go in sometimes, they are still good shots.”

Even when the question centers on one player’s specific shot, the coach sees all 10 players on the floor as he answers it. That’s how his brain always works.

“It’s not like you’ve got a big taking a guard shot from the perimeter and you’re taking a big off the glass,” Self said. “We’re adding a rebounder every time Tyshawn drives it.”

Asked to rate Taylor’s play of late, Self said, “I’d say it’s been OK. I see it differently than most. I’d say it’s been better offensively than defensively. That’s one area we’ve all got to get better in, particularly him, because he has the most to give. He could be our best defender.”

Self wants him to become a shut-down defender the way Brandon Rush and Russell Robinson were for the national-championship team. So why hasn’t Taylor developed into that yet?

“Probably just concentration, as much as anything,” Self said.

NBA scouts will find Taylor’s blend of length and quickness intriguing after he has spent four years at KU tightening his skills and training his basketball brain. He knows what part of his game gives him a shot at meeting his goal of playing in the NBA.

“I definitely think my defense,” Taylor said.

He knows how important it is for him to improve, he just hasn’t mastered the art of concentrating for the entire 35-second shot clock.

Taylor said he studies several point guards when he watches NBA games on television and pointed to Rajon Rondo of the Boston Celtics and Russell Westbrook of the Oklahoma City Thunder as those he watches most often.

In order to play more like Rondo, Taylor said he needs to, “become a pure point guard. I didn’t see Rondo play too much in college, but I think it was something he grew into, too. It wasn’t really his natural position. He was kind of pushed into that, and he learned as he went. It’s something I’m still learning, how to be a point guard.”

That, Taylor said, is one of the reasons he enjoys watching Westbrook, a shooting guard at UCLA.

“He had to learn to play point,” Taylor said. “I think he’s one of the best point guards in the league. I love watching him.”

Saturday, he’ll try to keep Iowa State’s Dionte Garrett from taking too many of them.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 10 months ago

So, TT thinks his defense gives him the best bet for NBA? Wow. Self really needs to help him think this through. His on the ball defense isn't good, at all.

spittage 11 years, 10 months ago

read the article. Its says what is the BEST way to reach his goal of reaching the NBA.. he says his defense.. he know he has to work on it and become a better defense of player..

Selbyville 11 years, 10 months ago

I can't stand people who try to crap on Ty. He is as dynamic of a talent as we've seen over the last few years.

Michael Bratisax 11 years, 10 months ago

For one thing, he seems to lose focus and makes basically dumb mistakes. But I also think that his good attributes far out weigh the negative. We are lucky to have him. Just my opinion.

hawk316 11 years, 10 months ago

Although his shots haven't been falling of late, TT has produced lots of points off drives in the past. He adds an important dimension to our offense when he drives to the basket and should continue doing so.

With his amazing quickness and length, he could be an outstanding defender, as well. Let's hope he continues to work hard on his "d" during his remaining time as a Jayhawk. What a big plus that would be for our team defense.

Chris Bruning 11 years, 10 months ago

actually, he has very good quick hands. lots of times when he gets beat, he will slap the ball away before a layup.

HawkBBall 11 years, 10 months ago

he fouls the guy more than slapping the ball away.

LAJayhawk 11 years, 10 months ago

And I do not disagree that you should agree with his disagree.

KULA 11 years, 10 months ago

I'm sure this story will bring out some Tyshawn boo-birds, especially after seeing some of the earlier posts complaining about his drives, so I'll jump in here quick to try to preempt.

While watching the game live, I too, was frustrated by Tyshawn missing so many driving shots. But for some reason, I still liked what I was seeing. And later in the second half, I found myself cheering almost every play he made. As I posted earlier, when this team gets out and runs, Tyshawn really shines. The kid was made to run. You can't expect your Mustang to look it's best in second gear. You gotta get it into 4th & 5th gear to really see what this sports car can do.

And as I re-watched the game, I realized why I wasn't too disappointed even when his shots didn't fall. It was because the great majority of his drives still resulted in Kansas points. Like Coach said, when Tyshawn drove, he pulled help defense, thus freeing up another teammate for the rebound. So, instead of getting bailed out by a lucky rebound (as some have posted), he actually set up his teammate for the rebound. Almost as good as an assist.

I even found myself taking notes on his performance (nerdy as that is). And here's what I saw (not exact stats, btw):

Tyshawn drove/penetrated about 14 times, whether in the flow of the offense or in a semi-fast break opportunity. 3 of these instances resulted in a Missouri rebound and 0 points. 1 resulted in a jump ball and 0 points. 10 instances directly resulted in 18 points through rebounds & put-backs, kick-outs to open shooters, free throws after fouls, and (believe or not) made shots. Add to that, 5 fouls drawn on Missouri.

Even though it's frustrating to see missed shots on drives, if it results in points, it's a positive. That's all you can ask of an offense--to get off relatively short shots going toward the basket. If you can do that, more often than not, good things happen.

Kye Clark 11 years, 10 months ago

That's a nice way of looking at things, but is that what we're wanting? To go into a tournament game having him jack up 14 shots and hope that we get second chance points off of his bricks? Missouri is undersized in their front court (even more so once some guys got into foul trouble) so we killed them on the boards, but we can't always count on that. Props to TRob and the Twins for cleaning things up, but I'm not going to credit him with any "almost as good as an" assists. I want him aggressive and driving to the hoop, but how about looking to pass and get some actual assists? That is what becoming a true point guard is about, not leading the team in shots looking to "get his", especially on a night it's not falling.

KULA 11 years, 10 months ago

Uhh, yeah, that's exactly what I want--a point guard who can drive the lane and get off a shot going towards the basket 14 times. Duh! I think most D1 coaches would kill for that. I don't remember any KU point guard who was able to do that. Jacque Vaughn wasn't quick enough. Aaron Miles was quicker than Jacque, but not this quick. I don't know if Sherron ever go to the basket 14 times in one game.

I guess it's tempting to expect a perfect game, but I'll take Tyshawn's game Monday anytime. 13 pts. 4 assists, half a dozen fouls drawn. It's not like he jacked up 14 three pointers. Coach said it himself--he drew help defense and freed up rebounders. You can't draw up an offense to MAKE a shot. You can only plan to GET a good shot. And then, more often than not, good things happen.

And I don't think a coach wants a kid leading the team who's timid enough to think, "My shot's not falling tonight--better pass." You don't become a prime time athlete thinking like that.

LAJayhawk 11 years, 10 months ago

Would you consider Rajon Rondo a "timid" player with his 12.3 assists per game? He looks to pass when he gets into the lane. He'll shoot when he has a shot, but he more often looks to draw defenders and defer to his superior scoring teammates.

I said the other day that Taylor should model his game after Rondo. The two are quite similar: neither is a very good shooter (Rondo currently is shooting 31% from 3, Tyshawn 32% from college 3), and they both have tremendous quickness off the dribble. If TT can concentrate and work, he can develop some of what makes Rondo great. And he might be able to have an impact at the NBA level without having to become a much better shooter.

Saad Saifeddine 11 years, 10 months ago

DUUUUUDE! It's ridiculous to even try to compare TT to Aaron Miles, Jacque Vaughn or Sherron. Watching TT run the point makes me realize how much I miss watching those guys. Those three were great college point guards. TT is far from great.

Kye Clark 11 years, 10 months ago

Saying "duh", doesn't make your case any stronger. Tyshawn is not a prime time player, he has demonstrated time and time again that in tough games he cannot be counted on. Don't believe me? Go back and watch the Texas game, the UNI game, the Tennessee game, or any other of half dozen games the past 2 years where the game was close and he shrunk to the moment. The offense doesn't flow through him, it flows through the Twins (and not in some crazy "let him throw up bricks to allow the Twins offensive rebounding opportunities" kind of way). Making comparisons to Jacque Vaughn, Aaron Miles, & Sherron really makes you look foolish. You'd never get Self to say it publicly, but he'd take any one of those three and kick Tyshawn to the curb in a heartbeat, and I'd guess so would a vast majority of KU fans.

And passing has nothing to do with being "timid". The Twins aren't timid when they pass out of a double team, Tyrel isn't timid when he passes to a teammate rather than taking a contested jumper, and Tyshawn wouldn't be timid if he drove to the lane, pulled the defenders to him, and passed the ball to a now-open teammate. I mean, if you're already drawing the defense...why not make the pass instead of freeing up rebounders? That's the primary responsibility of the point guard whether his shot is falling or not - to create for his teammates (again, not in some offensive rebounds as assists universe). "Shooters" generally have the green light to keep shooting because the coach knows that's eventually they will start to fall, because they have demonstrated the ability to consistently knock down the shot. Tyshawn is not a shooter and has never demonstrated the ability to knock down any shot with consistency, which is to say nothing of his inability to make his teammates better. My guess is that sure Self will say things to show TT some confidence now, but in crunch time of close games if Tyshawn shows the propensity to keep throwing up brick after brick he'll find himself on the bench (see the UNI game).

Lastly, you're not in the best position to be using Coach Self as a defense of your argument. You only respect what he says when it suits your obsessive defense of Tyshawn. I've seen you call Coach Self a gutless wonder and say that you'd take Mark Turgeon over Self in a second.

Bob Thompson 11 years, 10 months ago

Now take into account that Missouri is a very short team. I don't think you would see the same result playing Texas.

ChicagoGman 11 years, 10 months ago

JHWK 11 years, 10 months ago

I think KULA makes great points. The results are what matters, regardless. ict claims that TT benefits from the clean-up by the Twins and TRob. Exactly. With this line-up, TT can obviously be effective doing just what he did the other night. We haven't seen him brick that many shots or take that many shots, for that matter, against a larger line-up. He did it Monday, and it worked. Kudos to him - the facts are when he did drive and shoot, we went away with points. I believe that's a point guard's goal, whether they're his points or another's. With Josh sitting on the bench, the best driving guard was not in the game, and TT stepped up. Exactly what he needed to do.

I will also say, though, that LAJayhawk's point about Rondo being a drive/pass guard is what TT had the most to gain from watching Rondo's play. I would go so far as to say that pass he's making could be off the backboard the way the Twins and TRob are playing! I would also argue that those 3 studs are not going to expect TT to make every shot, so they're going to crash hard looking for that following thunder dunk.

As long as TT is not turning the ball over (and this certainly is not a given, we all know) and he's applying good pressure on D (which is also not a consistent part of his game) then I want him in the game.

I applaud TT getting better, driving the ball and contributing more each game. He has 2 outstanding seniors to watch and learn from, and they're both playing their tails off the last month. TT does the small things - like getting his hands on the ball on the defensive end - and as of late, I want him on the floor with Brady or Tyrel, and I am very excited to see Josh get his game speed back to have the best 4 guards in the country amped up for a deep run!!

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 11 years, 10 months ago

Self says TT is not yet a shut down defender.

Board rats hear TT is not a good defender.

Self says TT needs to concentrate longer.

Board rats hear TT cannot concentrate.

Self says TT is playing well.

Board rats think TT is not very good.

Glass is half full.

Glass is half empty.

You can live drinking from the water in the half full part of the glass.

You can die of thirst drinking from the half empty part of the glass.

Bob Thompson 11 years, 10 months ago

I would have to be one that isn't very happy with TT's play, but I believe that he is our best player for driving to the basket. It would be nice to make "some" of those shots. I could live with him missing if he could just stop his man from driving to the basket on defense.

NH_JHawk 11 years, 10 months ago

...or totally losing his man after providing help defensive. I watched that happen several times vs. Fizzou which lead to wide open 3's for them. Also, TT has quick enough feet to stay in front of his man or maneuver around a ball screen on a majority of those possessions when the opposing PG is attempting to drive to the basket. Perhaps this is what Self is referring to when he says "probably concentration more than anything else."

I love what TT brings to the team though. A guy who can create his own shot when the shot clock is low or a set play breaks down. He's a key piece of the puzzle as we head down the stretch. Keep driving and putting up the floaters TT. Those high % shots will fall sooner or later!

Tony Bandle 11 years, 10 months ago

Jaybate, did you just get back from a trip to Tibet? How is the Dalai Lama? {yes, yes, I know he is living in exile in Northern India] :)

kuproud96 11 years, 10 months ago

either way the glass will eventually become empty. It's the same rap, over and over and over. At this point in his career he should have developed the capacity for concentrating for 35 seconds or become less careless with the ball. It just seems to me that the team repeatedly makes the same mistakes. The ball sticks, players run their mouth or retaliate and get T'd up, they over help and leave a man wide open for a three, or horrendous free through shooting. I support our team regardless and understand i'm in no position to criticize but it's frustrating to hear coach Self talk about the same things over and over and over. At some point some of these problems should no longer be a concern or at least be somewhat less of a concern. Win or lose Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

bigjay83 11 years, 10 months ago

Ah, the whimsical authority of a self-proclaimed "holy grail."

I suppose it's the best of all possible worlds then, huh, Pangloss?

You know, believe it or not, there is another way to break it down other than your massively reductive reasoning. Perhaps some may think it is possible to get the cup fuller rather than settle for half? Perhaps they would like to see improvement from our PG -- especially when they can barely make out his ceiling as it is so high -- before we reach the tournament?

Board rats hope TT can improve defensively.

Jaybate hears board rats say the world is ending.

Board rats think TT has some issues concentrating.

Jaybate hears board rats say TT stinks.

Glass could be fuller.

I will accept the fate of the level of my glass for that is the best of all possible worlds.

You can live by drinking water from a glass that is half full.

You can be a champion by working your tail off to get more water.

Michael Bratisax 11 years, 10 months ago

+1 to the Amazing Kreskin. I wondered what happened to you. Can you guess what I'm thinking now? Just joking jaybate..you're probably right.

FairgroveJayhawk 11 years, 10 months ago

I've enjoyed watching Tyshawn develop. He's heading in the right direction. Driving the lane and missing the shot is much better than driving the lane and taking out 2 bigs and 4 cheerleaders. His shot will start falling. If he can become a lock down defender, wow. His future keeps getting brighter.

HawkBBall 11 years, 10 months ago

Not only has he stopped charging, but he has stopped jumping with no plan.

SDSurferFan 11 years, 10 months ago

Towards the end of the game when they showed his shooting stats I was shocked. HCBS point just made me realize why. Also, Knight who rarely has good things to say about TT was giving him constant praise. Good shots dont always go in while bad shots sometimes do.

If Selby n TT could consistently go to the basket (shots will start to fall) this is a NC team. If not, much less likely. We have a better bigs than 08' and could be equal or better in the back court if they continue to penetrate.

Robert Brock 11 years, 10 months ago

Taylor continues to make poor decisions. This has gone on for three years; expecting it to change is naive.

Jack Wilson 11 years, 10 months ago

A few observations: 1. TT is an excellent defender .. but during games at times, has a few head scratchers. I really have had little complaint with his D. 2. It is extremely interesting to me that in the entire article, the word "assist" was not used once. That is his most important role. Not hitting "tear drops." Deliver the ball to scoring spots for other players. And use your driving ability to first look to create for others, then .. second .. to score. It will then be amazing. 3. KULA - I strongly disagree with idea that you want this point guard shooting 14 times a game. There needs to be an understanding of his limitations (and an embracing of the limitations so as to focus on his strengths). He will have some good scoring games .. UCLA is one .. but TT just isn't your top line scorer, and this team does not need that near as much as it needs a player to simply deliver the ball. In a way, I think Sherron jacking up so many shots from the point hurt this team last season. We would have been so much better with Sherron at the 2, and pure point guard at the 1 in the Aaron Miles mold. On TT's actual shots, only a couple of TT's 7 failed drives to the hoop resulted in put-back points. He did shoot some jumpers that game .. 1 of 3 from 3 range, and I believe a couple other jumpers, one made. He made an easy put back on a miss, too. And I believe he scored on one layup for his four baskets (don't have my notes with me). However, I understand your point in your initial post was that he "drove" 14 times, not to be confused with his 14 shots (referenced in your reply to ict), and that was the basis of your analysis. I would agree that the results of the penetration are very important. Meaning, a guy may drive and deliver, and the shot is just missed, or points result from his driving, etc. The total package has to be considered. But I don't like the idea of relying largely on the "put backs" because when you play teams that actually rebound well, you'll get your one shot and will be done. We've seen Self's face when that happens. Appreciate your detailed review .. always like that. And always appreciate your passionate defenses of TT. 4. TT brings so many positives on the offensive end .. the speed, the generally reliable ball handling, the fact that defenses have to account for his path to the basket .. it would seem that if he could harness those strengths, put the scoring stuff to the back of his mind and let it simply come to him .. no floaters or layup attempts moving away from the basket .. and focus on creating baskets for his teammates, he would be 90% there. I do think there may be the chance that he breaks out .. I'm optimistic in that regard. So as to the glass half empty, half full point above ... it's 3/4 full.

waywardJay 11 years, 10 months ago

Let's see... He doesn't consider those shots turnovers like you and tehutus have both argued.... So I guess, I shouldn't consider them turnovers either. It's funny when Bill's words are exactly the same as yours the result is different.

Look it, It's ok to be wrong on occasion. I was wrong when I thought BRady would not crawl out of his slump, when I heard he was putting extra work in I was impressed. He has nothing beyond this moment to practice for, otehr than knowing if he's going out it's on the best terms he can get.

Your wrong about TYshawn. He does turn the ball over a bit, Bill's not worried about a little bit. Bill will sit him when it becomes alot, but Bill knows that part of Tyshawn's game is not trying to effectly change tyshawns game. The other night Tyshawn had what 5 assists on three turnovers, right ? $ on 2 the next game out right ? He missed sixteen shots between those two games. We had 37 made baskets, and 23 assist against mizzou.... and 25 baskets with 16 assists the previous game..... Both times over 50% of the baskets were assisted on. We can go back through almost every game this year and count the performances that we had over 50% assists..... Odds are those games are going to be More than Less..... We are just an outstanding passing TEAM..... which means Tyshawn's assist to totally will take a hit, specifically with the Play of Brady the last few weeks... who has alot more room to pass now that he's hitting the J again.....

You suggest that a team that rebounds better will not easily let us have those putbacks, but i redirectly you this question..... Who is in the best rebounding position when Tyshawn Draws a big man's help.... The Jayhawk that big man left..... We should get alot more of these boards than we currently do and we do a decent job thus far......

I don't like using Because Bill said so to defend my point, because I don't agree with Bill totally, but seriously.... What more do you need ?

Jarod DeLozier 11 years, 10 months ago

Im not worried about his teardrop shot. Most of the misses are in/out, half way down misses. That's not unlike Brady missing a million 3's before he started hitting them. They'll start following. Stay positive TT.

KUBowler99 11 years, 10 months ago

Ty's been here 4 years? I must have missed him during the title run.

Kelly Hanrahan 11 years, 10 months ago

A little quick on your bash Keegan trigger. I think he is implying that TT will be back next year. He didn't say he has been here 4 years - he said scout will find ...after he has spent 4 years at KU.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 10 months ago

Guess we know who are point guard is going to be next season!!

slowplay 11 years, 10 months ago

He's not the best point guard, he's not the worst. He's a work in progress that's starting to take shape, both offensively and defensively. He leads the team in assists and has a .767 FT %. Self is looking at what the final product could look like come March 17th. I like it.

Adam James 11 years, 10 months ago

ALL

Like it or not, Self is playing TT at the point and he needs our support. If we are going to win a NC we need to suck it up and support Coach and the players,especially TT. I'm optimistic that TT is going to have a great NCAA tournament. Feel free to jump on board. POSITIVE.....POSITIVE....POSITIVE

Martin Shupert 11 years, 10 months ago

I have criticized TT many times here, but I did say that he was the best point guard we had since Selby has not immediately developed into a college point guard. I did not appreciate how TT's game deteriorated when Selby came on the scene. It was obvious that he was getting out of his game in order to try to save his playing time. However, you know what? Bill Self knows more about basketball than I do. Duh, huh? So if he likes to see these drives, I'm going to watch for what we get out of them, even when TT misses the shots. If we do not listen to the basketball genius, guys, we are never going to learn more about the game... and Bill Self is a basketball genius... so I'm certainly going to shut up and learn.

Now on to something a little different. I have noticed something about this team that I find disquieting. In past years, if two guys came down with a rebound, it didn't matter to either one of them who got possession. That isn't true this year. I see our own guys pulling the ball away from each other and it's all about the rebounding stat. I've seen a player hustle his butt off to chase down a shot going out of bounds with no one around, taking an unnecessary risk to "save" it when everyone knew the opposition was the last to touch it. I've seen this one several times this year. I was perplexed the first time I saw it and asked a friend, "What was THAT all about?" and he told me, "He wanted the rebound for his stats." It's selfish basketball and I'm not used to seeing that at KU. It isn't something I lose sleep over, as Bill Self said the other night on his radio show, but it is disconcerting.

jayhawktalk 11 years, 10 months ago

I think this team is, all in all, extremely unselfish.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, although not much doubt in my mind, that these guys are more aggressively rebounding because it is what they should be doing, especially after being outworked on a few occasions earlier in the year. If that results in two Jayhawks with their hands on a rebound looking at each other as if someone were trying to steal their baby, I'll take it over the alternative.

LAJayhawk 11 years, 10 months ago

Have you played organized basketball? I don't ask that question contemptuously or with any kind of condescension at all, by the way. I'm truly asking an honest question.

When you play at game speed and you are going for a rebound, it's not that often that you know who you are fighting a rebound away from. Usually it's an opposing player; sometimes it's a teammate. You don't take the time to look around. You go up hard for the board and try to rip it down with force. When teammates do tangle up for the rebound, and someone recognizes it, you can often hear someone yell "same!" Listen close next time, and you might make it out on a television broadcast.

Ultimately, as a coach you push your players to go as hard as they possibly can after a rebound, and players start to realize when they do that they have tremendous success (i.e. watch the way Mario went after the glass during the mizzou game... THAT is how you rebound hard). The problem when you go that hard is you lose some recognition of who is going up with you. You have it in your mind that you want the ball and NOTHING is going to stop you. It's that kind of determination and intensity that makes great rebounders. Occasionally, however, you will find yourself battling a teammate. It's simply a side effect that comes from having players go all out.

Of course every guy out there wants to get the board. Sure it helps their stats, but, more importantly, it helps the team: a rebound means either a put-back, or a defensive stop. They battle for the ball and go after every loose ball with unstoppable intensity, because that is the way you win basketball games. That's the way you win in any competitive sport. Your friend sounds a bit cynical. These are athletes playing the game hard, which is exactly what you want.

I never think for one second that anyone out there is being selfish, especially on the glass. They are playing great intense basketball.

Jayhawk basketball.

KGphoto 11 years, 10 months ago

BTW, it's not just the last couple of games he's missed these floaters, it's been the entire season. He's gotta be somewhere around 2 for 50 on those things. I'm not counting the right-handed drive where he beautifully hooks a layup high off the glass after burning by his defender. He's been pretty accurate with that shot. And maybe he is drawing defenders, but a missed shot is a missed shot, which could have been a made shot. No need to rebound and try again, if the damn thing goes down to begin with.

And TT isn't the only one having problems with the floater either. Selby has only made a couple all year, yet he keeps shooting them too.

Don't get me wrong, I love the shot. Like I've referenced before (Mr. Miyagi) "If do right... no can defense". But they need to start shooting about 100 a day in practice or the potential is gonna become unused potential in March.

LAJayhawk 11 years, 10 months ago

Selby's success rate on those floaters is higher, and it's getting better and better as he learns the speed of the game. Don't forget, the kid has only played 13 college games so far. His driving ability has already seen a significant rise in that time. The more he plays at this level, the more success he will have.

I think Taylor is better off taking the shot when he has the open lane to the rim were he can lay in that beautiful high arching layup. I don't mean to bash TT in saying that, I just meant that he has that shot down to perfection. If he doesn't have that open lane, he is better off drawing the defender and dishing. That is simply a higher percentage play than hoping for a second chance rebound.

I know I'm breaking down split-second reactions and decisions, but that's, ultimately, what the game of basketball comes down to. It's honing instinct to make the best play in a given situation without having to think about it, and you can only do that by breaking down every play and realizing what you can do better in a similar situation.

KGphoto 11 years, 10 months ago

I totally agree. I'm not bashing at all. But if either guy hit even 30% of those floaters, they would up their scoring average by, say 4 points, and be considered elite guards. Not just because of the extra points, but because they are that much more of a threat to create. Opening up even more options for an already great, and balanced offensive team.

45% is nothing to sneeze at, but I just die every time they put themselves in perfect position, get the floater away, and it bonks.

For the record, I've DVRd most games, not all of them. So I could be off in those numbers. But of the games I have on DVR I count 2 floaters for Tyshawn, and I think 2 for Selby that go down. Selby has taken fewer, obviously. But they are both completely inept with that shot to this point. I've been complaining about it since game one of the season. Just hoping, fingers crossed, that they start falling.

In my heart of hearts, I think it will come around.

tauck 11 years, 10 months ago

Gotta learn to shoot and gotta learn to hit the 3pt shot. (If I was defending him I'd sag so far off him cause he can't shoot)

Robert Brock 11 years, 10 months ago

That was UNI's strategy and it worked for them.

jayhawktalk 11 years, 10 months ago

Not sure how many people agree, but I think TT has improved his game in every facet from last year to this one. He's a better teammate, better defender, better penetrator, at least as good a shooter as in the past(?)... I don't remember his missed bunnies against MU being bad shots, just shot badly/imperfectly. They didn't go in, but I was never screaming at the TV and thinking any of them were horrible shots. Much like Brady's early struggles, I just shook my head my head a little over yet another miss. I would like to see more penetration and dishing, which I think is probably more universally supported by those that read these posts than my comment about his improvement, but I think most posters would agree that he is doing a lot of things very well right now. He has come a long way, from being an immature facebook journalist and amateur MMA fighter to a solid player with upside that could get him to exceptional.

I posted previously that he just needs to get some touch on those shots and a little more air under them. Sitting here thinking about it, as I do not think it comes naturally to him, I wonder if he's finding himself indecisively in the lane after penetrating, looking to both pass and shoot, and then defaults to a hurried, flat shot, which likely comes more naturally to him than creating for others, causing him to miss.

pvf20 11 years, 10 months ago

How can anyone be talking about Tyshawn and the NBA. He has no chance if he continues to play lazy ball out there. He has no expression out there at all, no fire. No zip on his passes and no solid ball handling. Just the same dull unenthusiastic look on his face. He needs to get a heart first. Bad thing is, his half ass effort still can get some things done.

slowplay 11 years, 10 months ago

You are right. I have no idea why HCBS even has him on the roster much less the starting PG on the #2 team in the nation. I was watching Denver the other night. Billups had that same dull, unenthusiastic look on his face while putting up 30+ points. If that's your criteria for a good ball player, go back and re-take basketball 101. That said, he needs to start hitting those runners. If nothing else teams have to respect his ability to drive and commit weakside help which opens up the middle for the bigs.

pvf20 11 years, 9 months ago

Another great game from Tyshawn tonight. He does nothing but hurt this team. Talk about basketball 101 you compared Billups a gold medalist and one of the best guards in the NBA to Tyshawn Taylor. Dont confuse the dull look with a look that is confident and calm. There is a reason that a player has haters and I usually dont hate on players. Self has given Tyshawn enough chances. I dont mind turnovers that happen when you play hard. Tyshawn has lazy turnerovers.

ChicagoGman 11 years, 10 months ago

No NBA team is looking for a PG who:

-Doesn't look to pass to teammates

-Doesn't play consistent D

-Doesn't hit shots

Chris Paul, Darron Williams, D Rose, Rondo, Westbrook....all of those guys dish, play D, and can score the basketball. He needs to pull his head out and try some of these things at some point.

KGphoto 11 years, 10 months ago

And yet there is tremendous interest from the NBA.

manunitedjayhawk 11 years, 10 months ago

So if dont' have the talents of or are not Derrick Rose, Derron Williams, Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo, or Russell Westbrook you can't be a point guard in the NBA? You just not only compared him to some of the best point guards in the NBA, you compared him to some of the best players in the NBA. Not only that you left out about 20 names. You just name dropped the players that you see on TV or read about on ESPN. I think they need a talent evaluator down in OKC, you should send them your resume.

Greg Lux 11 years, 10 months ago

Taylor quote "As for those errant floaters, a big factor in his 6-for-26 shooting the past three games, Taylor said, “I think I’m rushing them a little bit, but those are my shots, and I’ve got to keep shooting them.”

How about you stop shooting them and start MAKING them. Concentration is the lasking factor here .. you have the time you are just not concentrating on making them

Rock Chalk

manunitedjayhawk 11 years, 10 months ago

"Most of the KU posters above seem to acknowledge that Taylor is not going to the NBA." How many of us are NBA scouts? Probably none, why are you calling this kid an idiot? You seem to have a personal vendetta against the kid. Did he kick your dog or hit your mom? I attend all the KU homes games, and his decision making is always in question. It is a work in progess, and Coach Self must see something in him. The fact is he is the starting point guard on a 24-1 team. For as terrible as you make him out to be it is funny how Coach Self still continues to start him and play him alot of minutes. So are you saying that the NBA doesn't want to draft "head cases" or kids who complain about playing time? You are ridiculous, lets step into last year's draft for some examples. Demarcus Cousins, Daniel Orton, Lance Stephenson, Tiny Gallon, Willie Warren, all these kids had attitudes, they complained about playing time, and had off the court issues. Guess what, they got paid. Let the kid play, if I hear one more ridiculous fan at AFH start yelling at Taylor during the game I might throw up. He is going to play so get over it.

Jack Wilson 11 years, 10 months ago

Actually, that is exactly what I meant on Sherron. Sherron was perhaps one of the best finishers I have ever seen. Sherron just settled for too many jumpers. So I'm with you there 100%. I think he would have been more effective, though, as a 2 with a pure point next to him. He just seemed to think he had to do too much some of the time.

And your point on the speed of their drives is a good one. With TT, he takes what I call a timid angle many times and gets caught angling away from the basket. This puts him a very difficult position to deliver the pass back across the lane to open offensive player when the defense collapses. It's something that is his key flaw in driving to the hoop. I think the speed of his attack borders sometimes on out of control .. tough to balance aggressiveness with control. But I think his timid angle is a result of fearing the charge, which comes from ... in my humble opinion ... not being prepared to deliver the ball when the defense collapses ... thinking shot ahead of pass. I really think it is that easy. Drive thinking pass, not shot.

Unlike last season, I think this team has a great deal of growth still in it at this stage.

squawkhawk 11 years, 10 months ago

I'm glad he's at least learning something!

KULA 11 years, 10 months ago

I guess if a couple more of those shots fell, no body would complain about Tyshawn. (Yeah, right!) I still say, if your point guard can get into the lane in position to get a shot off, your offense is working. I remember someone saying about the UNI game, "all those missed 3ptrs. came in the flow of the offense, so they were good shots. They just didn't fall." But wouldn't you have rather had your guards getting into the lane against UNI? I would have. You have more chances for good things to happen. Sometimes you pass off to someone else for a good open shot. Sometimes your teammate rebounds and puts back or gets fouled. Sometimes you get fouled and make free throws. And, believe it or not, sometimes you make the shot. All of those things happened when Tyshawn drove. And yes, Missouri did come away with a rebound and possession 3 of those 14-some times. I wonder how Mike Anderson felt about that success ratio. No matter how undersized they are, Missouri's still a top 25 team. Not like Nebraska or UCLA. And we whipped 'em. And the results of our guards getting into the lane had a lot to do with that whipping.

Bill seemed pretty satisfied with Tyshawn's offense. Like he said, we add a rebounder every time he drives. Look at the total picture--a trip down the court that results in points. And Bob Knight repeated 4 or 5 times(at least) that Taylor was having a good game. I go with those coaches' opinion over some of the coaches on this board.

Larry Smith 11 years, 10 months ago

For some reason people see the exception and take it for the norm. "He shoots to much", "Why is he taking 14 shots?', "A pg should not be leading the team in shots", He is always throwing up shots and trying to get his".

Even worse, lots of posters completely dismiss what the head coach is saying, because it does not jive with their personal opinion.

Ty averages 6.5 shots per game. That seems reasonable to me. It's not like he is throwing up 10-15 shots every game. How can people really say that he shoots to much? Did he take 14 against Mizery? Yes. Was that the game plan for that particular game? Yes. Did he simply do what the coaches asked him to do that particular game? Yes. Was Coach Self satisfied with it? Yes.

People keep asking why we don't seem to be a good fast break team, regardless of who is leading the break. Personally, I think it is because some people don't do a good job of getting into position to allow a decent assist. I also think the same thing happens quite a bit in our half court offense, and its been an issue for a couple of years. It seems that Sherron had the same issues last year. Have people given much thought to that as to why Ty does not have great assist stats? Oh, and maybe the fact that the offense generally runs through the post, which does not give the guards the opportunity to get the assists. It is a different style offense. When Aaron Miles was running the point, the offense generally started up top with the ball in his hands, Same with Jacque, and to an extent Russ Robb and Mario.

To compare Ty's stats to Rondo and Westbrook is faulty logic. Take one dribble, throw it Pierce on the wing = assist. Take on dribble and hand off to Durant = assist. Completely different styles as well as personell. Hell, I could get 8 dimes a game in the NBA If I had Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Shaq, and KG to throw a lob to or simply toss a pass to the wing.

KULA 11 years, 10 months ago

+1--Good points on Rondo & Westbrook's assists. Probably a better comparison would be their apg when they were juniors in college. As for Ty's 14 shots against Missouri, I have a suspicion that Bill told him to be more assertive offensively with Selby out. Maybe Brady could take up that slack from 3pt range, but only Tyshawn could go to the hole with the same type of effectiveness as Josh.

jayhawktalk 11 years, 10 months ago

KULA, interesting you would mention this, as I was just looking at Rondo's college stats from his sophomore (last) year at UK. They are actually pretty comparable to Ty's, although Rondo edges Ty slightly in most categories with the exception being that Ty rebounds and gets steals at a notably lower rates, and Ty is a much better free throw shooter than Rondo was. Their assist/game numbers are 4.9 (Rondo) vs. 4.8 (Ty), with Ty playing fewer minutes/game by a few minutes.

Don't know that it matters much, but thought I would throw it out there as food for thought/discussion.

slowplay 11 years, 10 months ago

KULA and Jayhawk86.. Nice to see some well reasoned posts re. TT. and the art of dribble penetration.

Benjamin Piehler 11 years, 10 months ago

I'm not going to take the time to read the article, just to give my opinion on t.t.

I spent 2 years defending him to critics, after the last few games, I am about ready to throw in the towel. I like how he makes assists, but hes been wasting so many shots that It hasnt really helped lately. its frustrating

KansasComet 11 years, 10 months ago

When I think of Tyshawn, I think of potential. I remember a few years back when he was a freshman and Kansas played against Oklahoma. Tyshawn was motivated to play against Willie Warren, whom I believe was recruited by Coach Self more than Tyshawn was? Tyshawn wanted to prove something that night and boy did he ever! He led the team with 26 points. That and Sherron's clutch shooting enabled Kansas to win the game over an excellent Oklahoma team. I know Blake Griffin had an injury and was unable to play that night, but it was still a great game. The point is, we all know what Tyshawn is capable of, and it can be frustrating sometimes when he does not show it. That potential is something I keep waiting for him to realize.

Steve Brown 11 years, 9 months ago

here's a future article idea, rank the best KU players that never played, or got a NBA check, THe list would comprise a mighty awesome college team.