Monday, December 12, 2011

Thomas Robinson wins Big 12 player of the week

Ohio State's Jared Sullinger, left, who did not suit up because of an injury, greets Thomas Robinson after the Jayhawks 78-67 win over #2 nationally ranked Ohio State University at Allen Fieldhouse, Dec. 10, 2011. ..

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson won Big 12 player of the week honors, the conference announced Monday.

The 6-foot-10 junior averaged 23.5 points and nine rebounds during KU's wins over Long Beach State and No. 2 Ohio State last week.

Robinson, a Washington, D.C. native, scored a career-high 26 points against on Tuesday against Long Beach State to go with 11 rebounds.

Against OSU, Robinson scored 10 of KU's final 12 points in a 21-point effort.

Robinson made 17 of 23 shots last week (73.9 percent) and 13 of his 18 free throws (72.2 percent).

He is the only player in the league averaging double figures in both points (17.8) and rebounds (11.4).

Robinson also won Big 12 player of the week honors on Nov. 28.

Comments

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 9 months ago

I've got a feeling he will add a few more 'Big 12 player of the week' awards this season. Anybody else get to see Le'Bryan Nash play last week? As good as advertised.

gongs4ku 10 years, 9 months ago

I read this and immediately thought of Bryant Nash in a beret and pencil mustache

Robin Smith 10 years, 9 months ago

We LOVE you TROB! You're an All-American, unstoppable force!

Don't mind the haters and the posers!

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 9 months ago

way to go TRob! starting to emerge as a real leader for this team....just keep your head about you...and the sky's the limit.

haps 10 years, 9 months ago

on paper he deserves it, but watching him these past few games - and especially against OSU - I am left wondering, 'what is up'? He looked fatigued or disinterested for large parts of it. I was talking with the people in the seats next to me and people were doing searches on their phones trying to figure out if he was sick. He was often the last player (for either team) back on Defense, he was constantly hunched over, and he was bitching quite a bit. He's my favorite player on the team and he's never shown anything but a 110% motor, but something seems up - be it attitude or fitness.

phi4life940 10 years, 9 months ago

If he can finish with 21 points and we, as KU fans, recognized that he didn't play very good at all (slow to get down the court, etc.) that's pretty awesome.

HCBS did sit him on the bench after a couple of those slow returns to defense. I'm confident that he'll watch tape and realize that he needs to step it up. If EJ and KY (please don't slam me with the "Don't call him 'KY'" comments) didn't step up, we lose that game.

Congrats T-Rob. You deserve all the best and we hope for many more honors throughout the year! Work hard and SNATCH that player of the year award!!!

Rock Chalk!

dylans 10 years, 9 months ago

He's the lube that keeps things smooth: KY.

SaltLakeHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Kidding aside, he was a valuable asset on Saturday. Without KY, our guards simply would not have been able to penetrate so easily.

Theutus 10 years, 9 months ago

I agree 100%. I love T-Rob and I want him to succeed, but this week he is undeserving of this award. The entire first half he didn't have a single rebound if I remember correctly. I don't know if he's sick or not, but his body language and attitude in the first half were terrible. Whining and pouting about everything... Not hustling down the court at all, costing us multiple buckets due to his carelessness.

I wish I could say it was a fluke, but i'm really starting to wonder... It seems like this attitude is growing with each game when it comes to T-Rob. Almost like he's becoming a prima-donna.

I sure hope i'm wrong, or that Coach Self nips that in the bud. T-Rob is better than that. He should be the leader this team needs, always hustling and giving 110%, never complaining... Just executing. We know he has it in him... Lets hope that prima-donna attitude is gone in the coming weeks.

onlylookin2score 10 years, 9 months ago

UNDESERVING?!?? You take that back.

Who else in this league is doing what he does. Who else put up the numbers he did this week??

Not to mention it HAS BEEN DOCUMENTED ON THIS WEBSITE that he and several others had the flu. You ever had the flu bro? It kinda slows you down. From the looks of it, I'd say he had it the worst. It looks like he has definitely lost some mass. He's thinner.

So lets review, he gave us 26 against an obviously underrated LBSU squad and 21 against a definite top 5 squad (with out Sullinger, with him they are the best, IMO). WITH INFLUENZA!!

I assure you, he deserves this award.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 9 months ago

Thetus has it all wrong! TRob's minutes are up substantially from last year and his level of productivity against first rate competition, has been very high and worthy of his accolades! If people like Wthey and Young continue to play at a high level, TRob will be even more productive and lead KU to a greater level of success than we originally anticipated !

Theutus 10 years, 9 months ago

I guess if you base it on stats alone... I just expect more from a "team leader". His body language and attitude sucked. I've had the flu, i've had the flu in the middle of Fallujah and still went out and did my damn job.

Being winded and a little slow is perfectly understandable... Having an attitude problem and just being lazy is something else entirely. It was blatantly obvious he wasn't winded on most of those plays, he was just complaining and not hustling. It cost us multiple baskets, and that kind of attitude from a team leader brings down the rest of the team.

Don't take my word for it, just watch the tape and see how pissed off Coach Self was... I just expect more from him because I know he's better than that.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 9 months ago

Overamplification my friend! The young man is far from lazy. Choose your words carefully! If I were a player playing at the level that he has been playing, I'd be pissed at your comments!

master16 10 years, 9 months ago

lazy is not the correct word. imo, sulking fits better. TRob sulks. he has cost us more than one or two baskets this season because of his sulking and then he arrives late to defense. if you don't believe me, watch the first 5 minutes of the game against OSU. it's not the flu, and it's not an issue with energy. it's sulking, almost in disbelief that he didn't get a call or whatever it is.

regardless, he's more than deserving of the award. he is indeed developing into a physical beast, but mentally he has to move past things faster (in basketball).

XEPCT 10 years, 9 months ago

seriously? you agree that he deserves the award, but then you turn around and call him a sulker? why don't you submit your wisdom to HCBS's office.

Bville Hawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I agree with you, Theutus. He must have had a helluva week to make up for not hustling back on defense 'cause he was whining to the ref.

Great player, great kid, been thru more at this stage of his life than anyone should have to go thru. But he needs to just play ball as hard as he can every second he is on the court and leave the officiating to the refs and the posturing for the espn cameras to the guys at UK.

tical523 10 years, 9 months ago

Totally totally agree. My friends and I were texting each about how much of a whining , not getting back on D but running on fast breaks, half hearted baby he was being. It was totally obvious and sucks bc I like him and he is better than that.....NOT TALKIN STATS TALKIN FACTS!!!!!!!!

Eric Dawson 10 years, 9 months ago

I read somewhere that he has had the flu? Maybe that is taking some of his endurance and intensity? Whatever it is, I hope he improves.

HawksWin 10 years, 9 months ago

Remember he had spasm or some sort on his thigh/leg during the LBSU game & during the post-game press conf, he had to leave early because of the spasm as he was grabbing his thigh & biting on his jersey. Is his body in need of some R&R? TRob isn't the bitching type. We only see him for 2 hours at a time, and we don't see the grueling practices, stress of big games, finals, flu, worn out bodies, personal issues of being a college student with regular life issues -- we discount all these & expect him or others to come out play 110% always.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 9 months ago

His LBS was deserving but against OSU? Never! They must be very hard up for awards this week as his body of work says he doesn't deserve it. As some of the above posters have said I was shocked at his attitude for the OSU game and lackluster play. Not only that but he is now doing the "ESPN highlights" thing and doing things he has no business doing such as bringing the ball up the entire length of court or charging into the lane from half court. It's pretty damn obvious what his thought process is and I find it sad he is being allowed to do such BS. He's the last person I'd would have thought to be doing this stuff and every game which goes forward and it continues then my appreciation for his decision making drops further. He's a good kid and has tremendous talent but he needs to play with the team and not act like he is the team.

HawksWin 10 years, 9 months ago

Wow, Miles. I'd like to see you play after putting on 3,500 mi (Maui) + 1,250 (NYC), or about 10,000 air mileage within 8 days playing 4 games (11/15-23). Then come back to play 4 games within 14 days (11/20-12/10).

From Nov 15 - Dec 10, KU played in 8 games - that's less than a month. Now, you had a flu, took IV during LBSU (I think it was) and you think you can come out and play 100%? Get real miles. Get real! Our players are not machines that keeps churning. Even machines don't churn 100% - need oil & repairs. Get real!

dylans 10 years, 9 months ago

I've watched Jordan drop 45 with the flu. I've watched players collapse as they leave the floor after having the game of their life, with the flu. I couldn't personally perform nearly as well with an illness, but I go to work everyday. I work in the elements and don't complain nor put up with complainers. TRob has a lot asked of him, but in the grand scheme of things it is just basketball. Thomas has overcome much bigger obstacles and will continue to get better throughout his last season in crimson and blue. Keep your head up, don't let the actions of others wear you down TRob. Keep a good attitude and even in the worst of times the work will be bearable.

dylans 10 years, 9 months ago

Well stated. Your argument is infallible and well backed up. Come on. Everyone is entitled to their own wrong opinion until they come around to my way of thinking.

SaltLakeHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Keithmiles... I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd B O T H be completely wrong.

I simply didn't see any of that.

Martin Shupert 10 years, 9 months ago

I've said this before. I worry that this team is having problems. They are pointing fingers at each other and throwing each other the bus. They are whining and not hustling like Jayhawk teams always do. Something is wrong. The guards, especially TT and EJ, are blaming everyone else for every turnover. Seldom do I see patience in talking to each other on the court. Everyone seems exasperated with everyone else. I'm really worried that the team is going to go through some very bad times when the conference season begins. I hope I hope I hope I'm wrong!

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 9 months ago

This is a group of talented players learning how to play as an exceptional team!

HawksWin 10 years, 9 months ago

The "Beyond the Phog" shed some light on players - they live life besides basketball. What or why Johnson was having a drought 3s we don't know, but having his dad in the stand Sat seemed to do the wonders for EJ. Every players will/have "slump games".

Martin Shupert 10 years, 9 months ago

One thing, though, TRob always looks for a guard and when none is available, he brings it up the court. I have yet to see him turn it over when he does that. So, what's the problem with that? The kid can dribble pretty well. Why make an issue out of that? Let's face it, he's had fewer turnovers bringing it up the court than TT does... even if you want to look at percentages.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 9 months ago

You have got to be kidding me. There is ALWAYS a guard available so I have no idea what games you have been watching. He needs to get down to the other end to set himself up for plays. This isn't difficult to understand at all, Comparing him bringing it up court to Taylor is idiotic and missing the point entirely.

As for your assertion the guys don't talk with each other and are blaming and pointing fingers you are blowing that wayyyyyyyyyy out there. Of course there are times when they are exaspperated with a teammate but that is quite common. But to say they are bickering with each other absolutely not. I am very close to the court and attend every game. I see things the cameras do not show and what you are describing is trivial.

railer20 10 years, 9 months ago

Is it just me or does he seem to be 1) gassed all the time and/or 2) walking and complaining a lot this year?

He just doesn't seem to have his energy from years past....maybe it's just me

Theutus 10 years, 9 months ago

The energy I can understand, the flu takes it out of you...

What isn't acceptable is his primma donna attitude that has been increasing over the last few games. Just standing around pouting after a no-call, not hustling back on defense at all, and letting his man have easy buckets on the other end because he's nowhere in sight.

You could tell Self was pissed off about it going into the half, so I'm sure T-Rob got an earful. I just hope he gets it in check, because he's better than that.

railer20 10 years, 9 months ago

I missed the LBS game so I didn't know he had the flu...

HawksWin 10 years, 9 months ago

How about if we root for you instead? By the way, can you do what TRob does with consistency and to your perfection?

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 9 months ago

Just below 15 minutes last year versus more than 30 minutes this year. Big difference! You'd be gassed also especially if teams are double teaming you all of the time. That is why it is so important for Young and Wesley to come through and be ale to spare TRob from time to time!

John Boyle 10 years, 9 months ago

He sucks. He isn't helping the team. Kick him off the team now before it gets worse!!

Oh wait a minute, our team revolves around him. Never mind.

Ya bunch of whiners!

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 9 months ago

+1..Guy gets Player of the Week w/the flu and cramping and this much whining? Prima Donna? I'm sure HCBS was angry about dumb, lazy turnovers..not TRob. If TRob had anything to grumble about, it would have been not getting touches after working his a** off for position. So unless you know different Theutus..you're making assumptions. And we all know how that goes.

Theutus 10 years, 9 months ago

You two are the type of people that make sure last place kids get participation trophies...

Can't handle the littlest bit of criticism without getting all butthurt...

I watched that game at the bar, and multiple non-KU people commented on Robinsons poor attitude and body language, as well as his lack of hustle giving up points... It's not just me.

If you want to ignore it, go ahead... Doesn't mean it isn't there.

Masonhawk06 10 years, 9 months ago

Theutus 10 years, 9 months ago

He's a man... He can take it. I'm not saying he's a primadonna, i'm saying he made gestures that were primma donna like.

I love T-Rob and I'll always be a fan, but I hope he stops with all that and just plays. I don't say it because I don't like him, i say it because I do, and because I believe he's better than that.

Trust me, my comments aren't going to hurt his feelings too bad. I'm sure in the coming games he'll prove it was all a fluke anyway...

Theutus 10 years, 9 months ago

After reading through my comments, you are correct... I apologize for not putting it better. I don't think T-Rob IS a prima donna, i think that in spurts he's giving that impression. I miss that 100% effort I saw last year, and this year he seems to be letting things get under his skin more and more...

I'm still a huge fan of the guy, so I guess I should just quit making observations and cheer like everyone else.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 9 months ago

So are you inferring that Rob is a last place kid! I am saying this in a civil way: Thetus, your comments leave a lot to be desired and you need to ZIP them!

brooksmd 10 years, 9 months ago

You're right about touches. He busts his butt down low and we don't have guards able to pass inside on a regular basis. How many successful alley-oops have we had this year? We do have one guard that drives the lane and would rather throw up a prayer than feed TRob or Jeff.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 9 months ago

Absolutely not Theutus..another assumption without merit.

Ben Kane 10 years, 9 months ago

the only complaint i have about TRob so far this year is that he seems to get a bit chirpy with the other team. That cost us a technical against OSU and there is no excuse for it and he is better than that.

Kye Clark 10 years, 9 months ago

Something for people to understand is that this is TRob's first experience at this level playing these kind of minutes. It was different when he came off the bench and he has that great motor and can push it to the max for 15-20 minutes a game subbing in for the Morris twins, and never seeing a double team. Now he's being asked to play at least 30 mpg when everyone in the building knows (except maybe Tyshawn sometimes) that Self wants the offense to get him the ball. It's natural to see him...not taking plays off, but pacing himself; conserving his energy at times. Throw in the illness & spasms...I'd give him a break, especially considering that amidst all this B.S. some of you posters are whining about he still put up the numbers he did this week. Sorry if his body language isn't to your liking 100% of the time.

HawksWin 10 years, 9 months ago

+1000!!! Perhaps TRob should practice playing with smile on his face, display no emotion, stare into the distance and run like a rabbit from one end of the court to another, jump to dunk & repeat. Would that satisfy fans who claim to be experts on psycho-analyzing our players for 2 hrs? For goodness sake, leave him alone.

AsadZ 10 years, 9 months ago

Did you know ssomeone on this site is now using your picture. That confused me. Its some Bangkok dude.

Bob Thompson 10 years, 9 months ago

Did you watch the Bill Self show. Coach even commented on TRob's after he beat his chest after a made goal.. Coach said "I don't know what that's about".

I like that he plays with such passion, he just needs to do that while getting back on D....

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, but that gesture was in the pre game video!

texashawk10 10 years, 9 months ago

Bill Self doesn't edit the pre-game video.

Dr. Robert s. Mosser 10 years, 9 months ago

Why would a player like TROB stay for a senior year with those of you who seem to have to bitch about something. Look around your house, maybe you can find something there that doesn't suit. For a big man, working as hard as he does in the post being double teamed all the time, of course he gets tired. Every big man I have ever watched will come up the court a little slowly, a little bit of rest for him.

I for one would like to see him play at KU next year but comments like above not likely to help him feel any better about staying.

actorman 10 years, 9 months ago

You're right, doc. The determining factors of whether TRob goes pro will clearly not be the 16,200 people screaming for him at every home game, a chance to play for a national championship, a last chance to play with his teammates and for Bill Self, a chance to win the Naismith Award, or, on the other side, the money to be made or chance to live out his dream in the pros.

Clearly the sole determining factor will be a handful of people making negative comments on a message board. Can you really be that stupid?

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 9 months ago

Nobody is saying he isn't a fantastic player.

The only thing being said in the negative is he needs to be more mindful of getting back on defense and not acting like he is a guard.

Those of you are total sunshine pushers need to back off and quit looking at everything through crimson/blue glasses.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 9 months ago

Nobody is saying he isn't a fantastic player.

Scott MacWilliams 10 years, 9 months ago

Way to go T-Rob! I'm sure that you will get a few more of these before you leave.

Regarding the trash-talking and chest thumping, lets leave that for lesser players than yourself. Your play speaks louder than any of that stuff, and is amazing to watch.

Frankly, I wonder if the recent additions of the NBA-style blaring LOUD announcing/videos/music that are used in AFH are affecting the players and their judgement of what is acceptable? I haven't been there in years, but have attended some games here in Eugene, OR at the Ducks new Matt Knight Arena. On every time-out they will BLAST some music, brief comedic video, or have some type of $$ give-away involving shooting baskets from various places on the court. Only at the very end of the TO will the pep band get to play, for maybe 20 seconds... Personally, I've always liked listening to the pep bands, and they are always having LOTS of fun playing. When I was watching the OSU game, I could hear the blasting music during one of the TO's. Really, AFH?? Is KU doing that on all of their breaks? I hope not. I'd think that it would make it that much harder to hear the coaches in the huddle, and gives you a headache if you're prone...

ROCK CHALK, T-Hawk!!

Ian Brown 10 years, 9 months ago

I know rankings don't really matter this early in the season, but I do find it odd that we beat the number 2 team in the nation and stay ranked at number 12 and the team we beat stays ranked at number 2 as well.

Roadkill_Rob 10 years, 9 months ago

My gawd, WTF is wrong w/ some of you?! It embarrasses me to be a KU fan reading some of these "complaints" after one of our own just wins Big 12 Player of the Week.

It's no wonder our recruiting has suffered with the ridiculous expectations and whining from some of you. Get a clue and show some support.

Wow.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 9 months ago

Hitting those preimeter shots the way he did is indicative of taking things to another level!

tical523 10 years, 9 months ago

What expectations are ridiculous? Asking for a player to hustle back to help teammates on defense instead of whining about a terrible no call? A couple of occasions he did not hustle back because a bad offensive play of his own that was seemed embarrassing for him to handle. What is too much to ask? His stats are great and nobody is refuting that (could be better with better attitude). I watched the game with a big group and multiple people were commenting on him throughout. HE IS BETTER THAN THIS!!!! rock chalk

Micky Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

There were at least three plays where T-Rob was absolutely molested without a call, and that is probably why he came back down slow a couple of times. He deserved player of the week. He was getting hacked all over down low and the refs let OSU do it most of the time.

He'll break out for 40 or more in a couple of games this season, when there are refs that call fouls when they occur against him.

tical523 10 years, 9 months ago

YES, T Rob has had moments this year that just do not look good, actually look selfish. Against Duke he was focused on proving he was better than Plumlee or Duke in general. Against Kentucky he was so focused on his pissing match with Terrence Jones it totally took him out of the game when Jones pissed further (sat by coach). The tape against Ohio State was just one of a whiner, a teammate that gets mad and does not get back on defense. I love T Rob, but a selfish attitude was definitely evident at times and I know he is better than that.

Ian Brown 10 years, 9 months ago

I don't know if anyone else saw this, but I found it and I'm not even a twitter guy:

"Trobinson0 thomas robinson Being called primadonna by my own fans not cool at all #loyalty"

Good job, Theatus. Out of all players on the team, I don't understand how one could think TRob is prima donna. There is no one on this team that wants to win more than him. And did you forget what he went through last year and the dire position that he and his little sister are still in? He could have easily entered his name into the NBA Draft after last season--and he had every right to--but he didn't. He chose to come back to try improve his game and win a championship. He is by far the hardest working player on this team. Perhaps that's why he was so winded and appeared to not be hustling.

Also, we can be sure from now on that the players do read these comments, so some of you need to watch what you say before you get too personal with your derogatory comments in the future. I'm not saying that calling TRob a "prima donna" is too personal--although if I were TRob, I would be pissed too, because he puts in more effort than anyone on our team--but there are times when people on this site say some pretty messed up things about some of the players. Just keep in mind that they are only human, they aren't perfect, and they have feelings too. I know I am going to try and do a better job of being considerate of our players and their feelings in the future.

Funhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

When I see Thomas Robinson smiling, I smile, too. That fun smile is contagious!

REHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Congratulations on your Big 12 honor, T-Rob. Keep chuggin'. When you are back to full energy, you will leave a lasting stamp on league statistics. My family has been very slow to recover from recent flu bug. It is amazing that you are producing so well in spite of the setback. Don't allow any of us posters here at LJW to affect your determination and intensity. All of us have your best interests at heart, and most comments are merely hairsplittingly superanalytical in their own brand of Jayhawk Nation support and intensity. Please try to stay as positive as you can, in spite of refereeing, LJW sniping, competitor trashtalking and hacking, whatever. To date, you have accumulated a mountain of powerful stats for a first year starter. Keep your head clear, and leave all of us with mindboggling memories of your 3rd year in a Jayhawk uniform. The only suggestions and criticism that you really need to take heed of are those of your coaches or fellow squad members. Those of us who post on these LJW threads are oftentimes caught up in the grand swirl of armchair debates with each other; and we mean no harm to you guys who are the stars of our focus.

KANSTUCKY 10 years, 9 months ago

Waahhhhh! Keep up the good work Thomas. You are a man among boys on the court and children on the web.