Saturday, September 4, 2010

Keegan

Add it all up? KU 4-8

The mystery that is Turner Gill’s Kansas University football team goes public for the first time at 6:10 p.m. today, so it’s last-chance time to guess how this team will perform on offense and defense.

So here goes, unit-by-unit:

Offensive line: Has the most experience of any group, but the offseason was not without its unsettling developments.

Jeff Spikes’ knee injury sidelined him for the season. Spikes might not have started, but would have contributed. Injuries are unavoidable, conditioning problems are not. Enter Jeremiah Hatch. Given the instant success he had at KU at both tackle and center, Hatch projected as a player who by now would be in consideration for All-Big 12 honors at center. Instead, he’s a second-string blocker. He’s grown too heavy, which restricts his mobility. It raises the question of whether Hatch could have done a better job of staying in playing shape under the tutelage of former strength coach Chris Dawson, now at Kansas State. Dawson’s program demanded more running than that of his replacement, John Williams. It will be interesting to track which state school will fare better in the fourth quarter.

Receivers: Since Chuck Long’s offense is expected to use the tight end as a receiver more than Ed Warinner’s, we’ll include junior Tim Biere in this group. Biere has NFL potential and will get a chance to show off a terrific ability to adjust to the ball and a sure pair of hands. Slot receivers Daymond Patterson and D.J. Beshears have big-play potential, as does red-shirt freshman wideout Chris Omigie. Senior Johnathan Wilson has shown flashes in the past and needs to deliver with more consistency. Bradley McDougald could lead the team in reception yardage.

Running backs: Talented freshmen James Sims and Brandon Bourbon have been shielded from the press while making adjustments to life as college student-athletes, so they remain the biggest mysteries. Based on teammates’ takes, Sims is shiftier, Bourbon faster. Trying to guess who will lead this team in rushing makes for an interesting exercise. My guesses, in order: 1. Sims, 2. Kale Pick, 3. Angus Quigley, 4. Deshaun Sands, 5. Bourbon.

Quarterback: Since naming Pick as the starter, KU’s coaches have gone out of their way to say Jordan Webb remains in the mix, which creates suspicion, right or wrong, they aren’t completely sold on Pick. He certainly presents interesting options, such as running the option, for example.

Defensive Line: Since James McClinton exhausted his eligibility, KU hasn’t had an explosive D-tackle capable of collapsing the pocket. If undersized Patrick Dorsey falls short, it certainly won’t be for lack of effort. He brings an aggressive spirit to the line.

Linebackers: Look for a huge year from middle linebacker Justin Springer, who was coming on big-time as a sophomore before suffering a serious knee injury.

Secondary: Departed coach Mark Mangino had way too quick a trigger with cornerbacks, which didn’t help their confidence, such a key ingredient for the difficult position. More confidence should translate to better performance.

What does it all mean? A 4-8 season, give or take.

Comments

TKELuke 11 years, 11 months ago

I'm surprised you even have us winning 4 games. I think you write for the wrong paper.

duanep5ku 11 years, 11 months ago

I would be a little more optimistic then 4-8, lets not forget during last years 7 game losing streak, some of the games during that losing streak was very winnable games that the team could have won. So why are we to think now that this team cannot win enough games this year to make a bowl game. I would guess 6 or 7 wins would be a decent season for this team

KU79 11 years, 11 months ago

KGphoto 11 years, 11 months ago

Okay, Mr. Negativo, have you given any credit to the notion Sal Capra may have improved enough to just plain beat-out Hatch for the job. He was elected captain, after all. He is a senior, and he probably fits what TG and Chuck are trying to do right now. It's so similar to the RB battle this year. Toben gets knocked down, and out because 3 RBs where simply better in TGs eyes. Now a senior RB is atop the depth chart.

Besides, the conditioning program for these guys is totally different. They're run blockers now. It's no secret coach mostly wanted them a little bigger.

Eric Beightel 11 years, 11 months ago

Mr. Negativo? We are unprepared and lack talent at any skill position. 4 wins is generous.

Marc Frey 11 years, 11 months ago

I have to believe that 4-8 is about right. At this point do we really think we are a better team this year than last year's 5-7 team? My wish and hope is that we make a bowl game this season. But wishing and reality are two different scenarios. I will be there next week rooting for KU. Rock Chalk!

KU 11 years, 11 months ago

You believe 4-8 is about right, huh? Well, your credibility as a Jayhawk fan is in question even before you speak because you call yourself a "beaker" so I won't put much stock in your prediction. What kind of self-respecting KU fan would use such a derogatory, panty-waste term as "beaker"?

Marc Frey 11 years, 11 months ago

It was a nickname "Beakers" that friends in Texas used on the team. I kinda like it so as a marathon and ultra-distance runner, I used it. Not derogatory, unless you have thin skin. I go on the road the watch KU football and hoops. When I can not, I watch on TV or online. I hoisted my KU Flag at 6:30am this morning. I want KU to win every game, but I also understand that may not be the case this year.

Funhawk 11 years, 11 months ago

Have also heard people throughout Missouri call Jayhawk players "beakers." They use the term in a derogatory manner.

Marc Frey 11 years, 11 months ago

Very little out of a Mizzery fan's piehole is with spit.

NorthStarHawk 11 years, 11 months ago

Mr. Keegan....I'm not pretending to be a Nancy Naive here, but it looks like your cup is still just half empty.

Funhawk 11 years, 11 months ago

Mr. Keegan's cup is more than half empty. Its only got a few drops in it. Definitely bulletin board material for the home team.

Dan Pawlowski 11 years, 11 months ago

Oh I think his cup has been refilled several times and its not water.

Dan Harris 11 years, 11 months ago

Keegan doesn't have a pair big enough to need a cup!

jhawkroger 11 years, 11 months ago

Mr. Keegan's cup may be half empty but I fear our new coach's cup is empty. If Pick is what we are hanging our hat on we are in big trouble. Gill is probably a fine upstanding man and probably a good coach but he hasn't any talent to coach.

Ryan Gerstner 11 years, 11 months ago

The lack of intelligence analyzing KU this year is truly confounding. You guys realize that KU plays a schedule, right? We aren't playing Texas, Oklahoma, or Texas Tech. We have 7 games at home where KU is 27-6 at home the past 5 years. When you predict 4 wins, you're saying KU is losing a minimum of 3 games at home, which we haven't done since early last decade. KU has 2 games that you could argue are long shots with 2 gimmes and 8 tossups. So you're saying KU is going to go 2-6 in toss up games. We very well may go 4-8 and it may be a rougher transition under Gill than we'd like. However, we have our most talented recruited classes now on the field and an easier schedule. You truly have to be a really negative person to come out predicting 4-8 all things considered. To me, 6-6 is pessimistic enough.

Kendall Simmons 11 years, 11 months ago

Would you like to revisit your predictions?? Your insults?? Your assumptions?? Your conclusions??

newjayhawk 11 years, 11 months ago

I think Kansas will be better than last year....... talent wise. But, I think WE will be beat senseless by OSU[they got texas techs/houstons' old offensive coordinator], Baylor[THE quarterback IS back!], Nebraska[nationally tough], A&M[they got Alabamas' Defensive coordinator from last year], We may shock Georgia Tech....maybe! or, they could possibly beat the brakes off our asses!!! Southern Miss could go either way....The rest WE WILL WIN! And, last but not least....James Sims is going to shock the nation....I have seen some good running backs in my 47 yrs here in Texas, he ranks with the best that I have seen......and I have personally watched the best from Earl Campbell to Adrian Peterson

Clarence Haynes 11 years, 11 months ago

This is like that Texas bball crap! I do not understand why LJW retains him. He is a not of service to the LJW or KU. If KU does better than 4-8, LJW should fire him. I think that you can find a real editor who is objective, honest, and more creditable to the Jayhawk Nation.

KU_FanSince75 11 years, 11 months ago

Keegan--- You wake up and you are in the dessert. I know it is a bad dream. But anyway, in this dessert, you are walking, stranded on this long, lonely stretch of highway and here comes this car. And, yippee, you are saved, rescued----Yes! You are thinking that big steak dinner is going to be tasting good tonight. Then, with much disappointment, the car passes you by, leaving dust in your face and teeth. But you do have good hearing and the car was blaring the song, "Hit The Road, Jack!" Don't come back! Then, you wake up out of this holy nightmare and find out the the football Jayhawks are going to a bowl game, baby! So, moral of the story? Forget your 4-8 prediction. Poo poo on that---Rock Chalk!

Michael Leiker 11 years, 11 months ago

Pretty sure Keegan would love to wake up pin a dessert!!!

Bob Zielinski 11 years, 11 months ago

Keegan wakes up in the 'dessert'? Was it a big meal which made him so sleepy? Was the meal so big that he passed out in the banana cream pie? Your post scenario was pretty stupid but the swapping of 'dessert' for desert made it mildly entertaining, albeit unintentionally.

troutsee 11 years, 11 months ago

Mr. Keegan does not appear to be a Kansas fan at heart and is hoping we will finish 4-8, which we won't. He continues to live under the murky shadows of pessimism, which is his "realism.". I think everfyone has grown a bit weary and accustomed to the downers that seem to flow endlessly fromm Keegan. I think we will be 7-5 or 8-4.

roshi12 11 years, 11 months ago

actually looks like 1-11 might be high expectations.

Scott Smetana 11 years, 11 months ago

Keegan is beyond just adding fuel to the fire with his Downer Debbie attitude. Terrible writer.

TheMiracles 11 years, 11 months ago

Robert Brock 11 years, 11 months ago

Last year we had Todd Reesing throwing to Meier and Briscoe and the Jayhawks went 5-7. This year we have an easier schedule but there is not a lot of talent on the roster.

Dan Pawlowski 11 years, 11 months ago

So where is you research to back that up?

Omari Miller 11 years, 11 months ago

@jwliddell - I agree. Similar syntax and persistent pessimsm. Keegs is Mulaza.

Nick Cole 11 years, 11 months ago

Everyone seems to forget that last year's team wasn't a 5-7 team. Had it not been for the disarray, which I am sure started in-house much earlier than the public realized, I am confident that team would have been AT LEAST 8-4. There were multiple games we gave away and others where it was evident the team wasn't focused. Without all of the distractions, we go to a bowl game and likely win, making us AT LEAST 9-4. Now, a team that went 9-4 last year loses some key players but has the most talented recruiting class in history stepping in with an easier schedule, and this clown thinks we are going to go 4-8, hahahahahahaha! I just peed my pants. That's ridiculous. New coaches, new players, new style of play, 6-6 at worst with a bowl game win making us 7-6. We will surprise some people, including Miss Keegan.

Kendall Simmons 11 years, 11 months ago

Uh...we were a 5-7 team. Monday morning quarterbacking and wishful thinking won't change that.

And currently we're an 0-1 team.

So much for your insights.

Clarence Haynes 11 years, 11 months ago

Keegan....If I were you, I'd stay away from Strength Coach Williams. Obvious question: What do you know about strength and conditioning?

Gordon Penny 11 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, I have to get in on the bash Keegan parade for this article. Although I don't question his fandom, as it is irrelevant to this discussion, I do question his integrity as a journalist. If you are going to make a prediction of a team's record, at least one should attempt to address the team's strengths and weaknesses against the teams it will play. Keegan left out this vitally important step. Although he thinks the Jayhawk team, right or wrong, has some glaring weaknesses, those weaknesses will be strengths if the opponent is even weaker. I give this article very low marks.

jayhawkintx73 11 years, 11 months ago

halogen,

I agree. We have K-State, Colorado, A&M and Oklahoma State at Home. We play Missouri at Arrowhead. The toughest game of the year is at Nebraska. This week will be a good look. Next week, if KU wins, I say 12-1 or 10-2. I do think making an prediction after not even seeing them play one or two games is an attempt to be criticized by Keegan, and it worked.

Randy Bombardier 11 years, 11 months ago

Mostly agree with you about next week. If we win that game, we are for real. It will mean a lot of things, yet I can still see us losing 3 or 4 games as the Big 12 is just so tough. NU, MU, and KSU in the North alone could beat us. I think we will be Nebraska and I think we could beat Misery. KSU, I predict, has really flown in under the radar. If they demolish UCLA like I think they will, watch out. If we do well and beat tech next week, I believe we will be in a 3-way race with KSU and MU to win the North. Now, next week is a very big if, but I think Keegan has to eat serious crow if we win that one.

Kendall Simmons 11 years, 11 months ago

Well, we've had our good look. And so far the toughest game has been NDSU.

Robert Brock 11 years, 11 months ago

One new thing we have going for us is a good-quality coaching staff. Trouble is, it is their first year at KU and there is not a lot of outstanding talent to go around. It is going to be fun no matter how it turns out. I will pay and attend!

Michael Leiker 11 years, 11 months ago

Generous Keegan...I see no reason to think this team beats anybody other than NDSU and New Mexico State.

Kendall Simmons 11 years, 11 months ago

OK...so are we supposed to now think we're going to beat New Mexico State???

Rockchalkku2005 11 years, 11 months ago

AWFUL article. And whatever happened to Keegan's predcition that Lew wouldn't be the AD today??

Bob Culwell 11 years, 11 months ago

I'm with all of you who think there is no way that a new coaching staff facing massive loss of talent through graduation will face ANY difficulties in winning these games. I, for one, have us winning the next 875 Super Bowls by an average of 87 points. I remember how unbelievably stifling our defense was last year in bringing the Big 12 to its knees every Saturday.

Most first-year coaches don't have tremendous success. This is a team that doesn't seem to have a lot of speed. The linebacker corps is a great unknown. They might be fine, but there probably aren't enough of them to stay fresh. A year ago, this team fell apart because our opponents just outran us to spots. There is little to suggest that the problem has been wholly addressed in one off-season.

4-8 seems like a realistic prediction to me.

Brett Glover 11 years, 11 months ago

Keeger, with all due respect... Go fu** your self.

Dan Pawlowski 11 years, 11 months ago

"Based on teammates’ takes" Did Keegan graduate from Misery School of Journalism?"

Sparko 11 years, 11 months ago

Keegan: quit while you are behind. The point of this article is what? We deserve better.

Randy Bombardier 11 years, 11 months ago

Give Uncle Keeg a break, guys. He is just being skeptical. Nothing wrong with that. I do not agree and think we have the talent to win 8 games, the team will play looser, special teams better and a much improved running game. Combine that with a much more mobile QB who can see the field (as opposed to lanes), the combined coaching talent, and how much luck we are due, I think this team could really surpise some people. Big questions are, how well is the team prepared for the game? How is their execution? Are they sloppy with the ball? Are they crisp? Game strategy, penalties, turnovers: all these things will implicate the staff as to how well they prepared the team. These are the big intangibles. If we play well this first game, Keegs is definitely going to be wrong. If we win but are very sloppy in the process Keegs could be right, but I don't think he will be.

Randy Bombardier 11 years, 11 months ago

Anybody know where I can watch or listen to the game. I am in Portland, OR, market.

phi4life940 11 years, 11 months ago

What a piece of crap. TK=not a real KU fan. Real fans see the best in their teams regardless. Remember TK...you are not (nor will you ever) writing for ESPN. You are not supposed to be objective.

The last thing KU fans want to see on the first game day of the season is "KU 4-8"

Have fun getting cursed at today...that is...if you even come to the game.

gorilla10 11 years, 11 months ago

I didn't read the article because of the title. I didn't read it because of the writer. Keegan is a 20 game losing streak to me....what a loser

Dan Harris 11 years, 11 months ago

I didn't even need to see who the writer was when I saw the headline, I knew it was the eternal Hawk basher better known as Keegan. What a disgrace to have this jerk covering the Hawks, all he ever does is bash us.

Clarence Haynes 11 years, 11 months ago

Big tine jerk! Does not appear that the LJW management read people's reaction to this suspect brand of journalism.

Kendall Simmons 11 years, 11 months ago

And, considering that KU lost, do you perhaps now understand why the LJW management would NOT pay too much attention to what people on their sports forums complain about???

tjg1 11 years, 11 months ago

HE NEEDS OFF OF THIS SITE NOW! This was the last straw for me. I've hated his writing for way too long. If I wasn't in Barcelona I would call his boss and tell him he's the most annoying man and worst journalist on earth. Go somewhere else please.

Kendall Simmons 11 years, 11 months ago

The last straw? The worst journalist? Because he disagrees with you???

Now that KU lost a game that you indubitably assumed was a 'gimme', you gonna suck it up and admit that maybe your being in Barcelona didn't give you as much insight into the quality of the current KU football team as a sports writer that is actually here and actually got to see them practice? A lot?

Dan Harris 11 years, 11 months ago

Anybody in the Dallas area know if the game is on anywhere?

Bear86 11 years, 11 months ago

The Keegan Fan Club is on fire! Love the optimistic Hawks out there but I have to agree with Keegan on our record. Losing the O-fire power from last year along with the new coach and company coupled with a terrible defense I don't see us winning more than 4 games. If KU goes 6-6 in Gill's first year I would consider this a great success. Next weekend's game will tell all. If KU can upset or play GT close the Hawks will gain confidence and win those toss up games.

Kendall Simmons 11 years, 11 months ago

Amazing how everyone overlooked THIS weekend's game, isn't it?

Nick Cole 11 years, 11 months ago

If you're in the Tampa Bay area, come to Hattricks in downtown Tampa. That's where my girlfriend and I will be along with a bunch of other KU alum in the area. Would be fun to see a big KU crowd there to cheer on our Hawks. ROCK CHALK!!!

Denny2009 11 years, 11 months ago

Its a new era and new team. I feel there is a lot more parody in the Big 12 this year, I like KU at 6-6. Just wish I could be in Lawrence today for the opener. Go Hawks.

bad_dog 11 years, 11 months ago

Parody? You mean like this article is a parody of journalism?

Try parity, Denny. Or party. After all, it's almost game time!

Kendall Simmons 11 years, 11 months ago

At what? Volleyball? (The women are doing GREAT!!)

KU_FanSince75 11 years, 11 months ago

Mulaza--- I am breaking my silence in responding to you. With all due respect, go **** yourself. Go cheer for Mizzou!!!!!!!

jayhawkintx73 11 years, 11 months ago

I revise my prediction 0-12 this year, next year, the year after, and until Gill leaves.

Brian Skelly 11 years, 11 months ago

We're struggling against NDSU. We'll be lucky to win a game.

peter56321 11 years, 11 months ago

Where are all the Keegan haters now? If anything, Keegan was too optimistic.

Jeff Kilgore 11 years, 11 months ago

KU hasn't been this bad in three decades. We've suffered a lot of injuries, and it's true that key positions are unsettled, but North Dakota State? What kind of recruits do they get compared to Kansas? How much is their coach paid?

The one thing that I liked about Mangino is that his teams were disciplined and prepared. What in the world have the Jayhawks been doing? I'm going to be posting more about this horrific first game. Gill = two years. Very possibly with no wins.

Kevin Heath 11 years, 11 months ago

Use the DVR to record the game while I went to watch Stanford play. The Stanford game was a blowout, so I thought I would come home and watch the Hawks...wow. I don't even know what to say. I usually think we will be better than we are, but I honestly don't see us winning a game this year. This was absolutely terrible football. Granted, there are 57 seconds left in this game, and it only takes a field goal to tie, but wow...this is really, really bad. Maybe we should have gone for the Mountain West in football, we may be middle of the pack every once in a while there.

Marc Buehler 11 years, 11 months ago

Can you say 0-12... wow. this looks like the Bob Valasente days.

VAJayhawk 11 years, 11 months ago

I believe some folks owe Keegan an apology. I think 4-8 is looking pretty generous.

jmason 11 years, 11 months ago

The last Big 12 coach to open his career losing to a FCS school was Dan Hawkins at Colorado. How did that turn out? The 'Hawks will be lucky to win a game this year.

KU_FanSince75 11 years, 11 months ago

Ok, VA----I will be a big man, now! Hey, Keegan, I apologize--do you accept my apology? I still think you're warped, though.

In regard to the game, is there a quarterback controversy? Our offensive line was crap tonight. And, what the _, Tim Biere. He had some big mistakes. I know this is the first game, but having said that, this could get real ugly, real fast. The thing I hate the most is people like mulaza---that boy won't shut up for a long time now!

Christopher Hauser 11 years, 11 months ago

I think we all may need to give Mr. Keegan an appology, his 4-8 looks pretty hopeful now. This was the worst performance I have ever seen from a KU football team and most of the 80's were pretty bad. I hope we are not headed back to irrelevance.

Annette Lee 11 years, 11 months ago

I expected Tim Biere to shine but he may have been the goat!! Well I guess Keggs knows what he's talking about..

Robert Brock 11 years, 11 months ago

He probably watched enough practices to come to his conclusions.

Tyler Bruce 11 years, 11 months ago

i never thought I would see the day when Keegan would be a KU homer, giving them too much respect......

frank mcguinness 11 years, 11 months ago

Gawd, there are about 30 poster on this thread that should be extremely happy keegan has enough class not to come on here and put all of you in your place.

Bob Culwell 11 years, 11 months ago

Well, all you Polyannas from earlier have changed my mind. I'm with you, now. I don't see how anybody can predict four wins for that team.

Maybe, just maybe, ol' Keegan knows something all the rest of you guys don't know when he writes that this team will struggle.

I know that anybody who suggests we shouldn't be making room for a crystal football in the trophy case is a complete tool, but maybe some Jayhawk fans should demonstrate that they actually know anything about football--like the columnist does--before they start planning the victory parade on Mass Street.

This team, right now, is too slow to play major college football. We make up for it, though, by being undersized and easily shoved around. I do think that Coach Gill will get the situation fixed, but we're a long way from warranting the pie-in-the-sky optimism that some of the people who posted before the game showed.

delay 11 years, 11 months ago

keegan, i wasn't going to hate on you. it's good journalism to actually predict what you think will happen, not just be a homer. you were right, all of those other fans were/are blind. ku had good talent last year, and lost seven in a row. no talent this year means? i guess we'll find out. can't wait for basketball.

rcjh22 11 years, 11 months ago

Keegan was right about the basketball team and now the football team.