Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Coach Bill Self counting on slew of leaders this KU basketball season

Self says Morris twins, Taylor, Morningstar, Little and Reed all leaders in their own way

Kansas University’s basketball players aren’t shy about speaking up when a teammate needs direction on the court.

“I listen to the guys. I listen to them talk. I listen to them coach each other and get on each other,” KU coach Bill Self said on Tuesday’s Hawk Talk radio show.

“They seem to respect when the other guy gets on them. I’ve seen Tyshawn (Taylor) get after Marcus and Markieff (Morris), and I’ve seen them get after Ty, and it’s kind of water off your back, which is a good thing.”

Talking, of course, is a form of leading.

The Jayhawks this season need to replace one of the great leaders in school history in point guard Sherron Collins of the NBA’s Charlotte Bobcats.

“I don’t know if we’ll have one (leader). I don’t know if that’s bad, either. I think we’ll do it by committee,” Self said.

“I do believe those guys (Taylor, twins) are capable. I believe Brady (Morningstar), Mario (Little) and Tyrel (Reed) are tough. I think Travis (Releford) is a leader in his own way.”

Self said there’s a huge “X-factor” in the leadership department.

“When Josh gets comfortable,” Self said of freshman point guard Josh Selby, who has practiced but not yet been cleared by the NCAA to play in games.

“Josh has a mind-set that is similar to Sherron in that he really believes that nobody can guard him. He really believes he wants the ball at all times. He doesn’t need it at all times, but he believes he should have it. He has that inner confidence that few people at that age have. How soon he gets comfortable I think could go a long way in giving us a presence,” Self said.

Collins finished his career as KU’s all-time winningest player.

“He gave us a presence of confidence. You’d look around, and we’re not playing very well, and it’s, ‘Sherron will make a play. Sherron will do something.’ I am hoping we have players emerge to do that,” Self said.

The great news is there are so many candidates on a KU team that takes a 2-0 record into Friday’s 7 p.m. home battle against North Texas.

“I do see a lot more balance on this team,” Self said. “The ball moves better. I really feel we could have seven different players be our leading scorer at some point this year.”

More on Tharpe

Self thinks he sees a future on-court leader in Naadir Tharpe, a 6-foot senior from Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., who last week signed a letter of intent with KU.

“I’m telling you, people are going to love this kid,” Self said. “He is a chameleon. He will be the most popular kid on campus by the end of the first semester.

“He showed up on his (campus) visit wearing a tie. I don’t know when the last time anybody’s ever worn a tie on a visit.

KU entered the recruiting picture late, stealing Tharpe from the clutches of Oklahoma and Minnesota.

“He is one of those guys we really didn’t recruit,” Self said. “We recruited a couple kids off his team (New England Playaz AAU players Kaleb Tarczewski and Alex Murphy) that are young. We thought we had another point guard who we spent a lot of time on, about three years on. He ended up choosing another school,” Self added of Arizona commit Josiah Turner of Sacramento, Calif.

“We’re kind of scrambling around and ended up getting a guy we wanted. It’s one of those neat things that sometimes happen in recruiting. He was a guy ... we weren’t on his list. As soon as we were on his list, he (said), ‘I want to go to KU.’ Being recruited pretty high, to tell everybody else he definitely wanted to be a Jayhawk was pretty cool,” Self added.

Self compares Rivals.com’s No. 91-rated player to four-year KU starter Aaron Miles.

“Aaron had a unique way. He could be ornery and still get anybody to do what he wanted them to do, to do what was best for us and have them not know he totally manipulated them. He was very smart in that regard,” Self said with a laugh. “I think Naadir will have some of the same characteristics. People will want to follow him.”

Naismith candidate

Kansas forward Marcus Morris was named to the 2010-11 Naismith Trophy preseason watch list, the Atlanta Tipoff Club announced Tuesday.

The Naismith Trophy will be awarded at the Final Four in Houston.

Other big 12 players on the list: Alec Burks, Colorado; Kim English, Missouri; Perry Jones, Baylor; and Jacob Pullen, Kansas State.

Comments

Adam Evans 11 years, 6 months ago

“Josh has a mind-set that is similar to Sherron in that he really believes that nobody can guard him. He really believes he wants the ball at all times...He has that inner confidence that few people at that age have." Combine that with what we already have and this team should be better than 2008. I worry a bit about too many chiefs and not enough indians, but that is a level of confidence we haven't had in a while from the entire team top to bottom. Clear him already! :D

Ron Franklin 11 years, 6 months ago

Unfortunately, that was my least favorite characteristic of Sherron. I appreciate his leadership.........but having an ego that nobody can guard you......I'm having flashbacks of Sherron driving to the hoop with no where to go and turning the ball over....

Uber confidence is a good quality as long as he also practices self control and makes good decisions.

dylans 11 years, 6 months ago

I liked the confidence in his (Sherron's) shot in the championship game in 08. He didn't hesitate in taking the 3 that led up to Mario's miracle. Or the many games he took over and won for us.

Jordan missed 30+ game winners!

NJHAWK 11 years, 6 months ago

There was a difference in quality of players surrounding MJ and SC. Same players from last year are putting up numbers and showing potential of being great. SC didn't have to take on the opponents by himself. You need to trust your teammates. It is a team game and at Kansas, we always have had tons of good players (never a single good player).

Ron Franklin 11 years, 6 months ago

I think Little is timid......his role on this team is odd. I think he is a scorer, but he may not fully know where he stands yet.

What I'm trying to say is Little has the ability to be a standout player on this team, but he doesn't need to be that player....so it puts him in a weird spot.

Jacobpaul81 11 years, 6 months ago

I think Little and Marcus are developing a report and figuring out how they will approach the 3-4 together. It's obvious the two pair well and can create mismatches. Both can post up, both can dribble drive, dunk, and shoot the 3. Together with Markieff's long range ability, they create a 3-4-5 setup that few teams will be able to match up against. I think Little and Coach Self are still working out how that will play. Just last week Coach was saying Little would play the 4 and Morris the 3, but in the game, Little looked more effective out than in, and Marcus in, could stretch his defender out and get back door cuts.

Jacobpaul81 11 years, 6 months ago

Sherron had terrible decision making skills and an over-inflated view of his own skill set... something I fear our head Coach instilled in him. I really hope that is not a flaw Coach continues to make. Sherron made three times the bad decisions that he made good. People remember him shooting the last second shot and forget about the three plays before where he lost the ball, dribbled into the trees or took a quick shot with 30 seconds left on the shot clock.

Larry Brown used to get on Ron Kellogg in 84-86 about taking bad shots. He'd yell from the sideline... "No, No, No! .... Great Shot!" In Kellogg's case, he hit more than he missed. That was not the case with Collins. His shooting percentage was terrible for a "go-to" player. He made his teammates, particularly other guards, look bad, because of his poor decision making, with and without the ball. I can remember games in 2008 where Chalmers, Robinson and Rush appeared to be avoiding passing it to him. If he did get the ball, he'd do something stupid 2-3 times, then turn around and hit some ridiculous shot and every one would scream "Collins, Collins, Collins."

I used to refer to Jerod Haase as the most over-rated Jayhawk of my lifetime. Jeff Bosche was a close second. I've officially sent out letters to them to let them know they've been replaced.

Brianna Zaleski 11 years, 6 months ago

Sherron Collins is the most over-rated Jhawk of all time? If you truly believe that you are a colossal idiot. We don't win the 08 championship w/out him. Period. Mario's miracle isn't even possible w/out SC's steal and 3pter. That alone puts him in a class way above Boschee and Floor Burns. Not to mention the countless other accomplishments he achieved along the way to winning the most games of any other Jhawk player ever. Jacobpaul, you suck

NJHAWK 11 years, 6 months ago

Nicely written. I agree completely with you except the Jarod H comparison. Jarod used to sacrifice his body (floor burns) every game. On that team, I do not think that Jarod was over-rated.

dahawk40 11 years, 6 months ago

You sir, are in imbecile. It is not possible for the winningest player in Jayhawk to be the most overrated. Go cheer for another team.

LAJayhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

"Imagine Sherron's "will" or "confidence" or "arrogance" (whatever your persuasion...) and put it in B.Rush's body, and you would have the next NBA superstar."

Excellent, excellent point.

I also think Jacobpaul is missing the fact that Sherron was a tremendous finisher. Dispite his physical limitations, when he was able to make it to the rim (which was often), he was remarkably efficient, even with 7 footers around him.

Again, good with the bad. And for the record, I would take Sherron everyday of the week, and three times on Sunday. More heart in that kid than this entire comment board combined.

Corey Shideler 11 years, 6 months ago

Ralster = intelligent. Serioulsy, you are correct from top to bottom of this post. I fogged up thinking that Sherron would think he let anyone down. Fact of the matter is, last year we were essentially in a rebuilding year with two standouts and a Big Time recruit who delivered mediocre results. Sherron put the team on his back numerous times and saved the day. He couldn't save us from that Northern Iowa showing. And I'm no dummy. He made his mistakes. People who are willing to put it all on the line tend to fail from time to time. I admired Sherron Collins. He loved our school and we loved him back. Oh and last time i checked, Bosche was cleaning pools in Lawrence (no joke), not playing professional basketball. So while Jacobpaul is entitled to his opinion, he is wrong. Sorry pal. I agree. You should find a new team. Roy hyped Bosche and Haase. Maybe you should follow UNC.

LAJayhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

You have to take the good with the bad. That super-confidence is what took over many, many games. That uber-confidence is what pushed us past OU two years ago when Sherron was draining 30 footers 3 possessions in a row.

That same confidence also, at times, made things quite difficult for us to win when he was off.

Good with the bad. If you want a guy who, when nothing else is going right, can take the entire team on his back and take over a game, Sherron was your guy. You just can't expect to hold that attitude back when it isn't needed.

Without Sherron, we don't have a national title. Without Sherron, we come nowhere close to 33 wins and a number 1 seed last year. Nowhere close. But without Sherron, we may not have lost the 3 we did (aside from maybe Tennessee).

Good with the bad.

Martin Rosenblum 11 years, 6 months ago

Such a scenario. as a multi-person floor leader committee, could be a bit of a distraction to the other teams on the floor with us. They wouldn't be able to figure out who is going to be directing traffic, etc. from play to play, on the floor. Interesting potential! There could be a real leader as well as a "decoy" leader who could affect plays on offense and defense. Damn, somebody needs to get this concept to HCBS! It could even be named the "Memhawk" when being called for in a game either by the players or from the bench.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 6 months ago

I have to say it because Jacob Pullen's name is in this story and my opinion will not be one that is very popular, but I'm going to say it. KU fans may "Hate" K-State and not give them any respect, but K-State is going to be a force to be reckon with and it's not a bad thing to give a little credit towards the in-state rival.

What I find funny, is that over the last week I've heard these comments..........

"K-State can't win without Pullen"

"Pullen will not be effective without Clemente"

"K-State was unimpressive vs V. Tech"

K-State looked very impressive yesterday and here is why:

1) Pullen when on the court looked great, but got 3 fouls in the first half which allowed Freshman Will Spradling to pick up big minutes at the PG spot. Kid is good and is definitely able to run the show. Pullen finished with 13 points in 14 minutes.

2) K-State looked just fine without Clemente and Spradling (25 minutes), Irving (25 minutes, McGruder (31 minutes and starter), and Russell (19 minutes and starter) all picked up the slack.

3) K-State is playing without Kelly (Their top post threat) because he is in the Martin doghouse.

4) K-State reserves played a majority of this game and Martin is a genius for allowing those younger/inexperienced players to get a lot of time against a Top 25 team.

With all that said, was this game Ugly? Absolutely, but that is K-States "Mantra" and how they play so don't expect anything less for the next 35 games or so. I must have been watching a different game because "Unimpressive" is not a word I would describe about K-State at the moment, especially when their reserves pretty much beat a top 25 foe by 16 points.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 6 months ago

Should read, "K-State can't win without Clemente". Put Pullen in there by accident.

kesmithstl1 11 years, 6 months ago

K-State plays very ugly! But they play extremely hard. KU is going to have to step up the rebounding on both ends when the two teams collide! Should be a great game. I still think they are overrated! But not as much as Virginia Tech!

Andrew Moore 11 years, 6 months ago

I thought KSU looked very beatable until about 10 minutes to go. Va Tech was really unimpressive. It was obvious that they don't have any ball handlers and don't play much team defense. Its easy to see why they never go to the tourney.

That said, KSU did play well. I thought Spradling played well. I think he played a lot like Brady.

I still think KU will be better than KSU this year. Perhaps we don't break out the brooms but I don't think they'll finish over us in the conference. We have a physical front with Robinson and Markieff along with the length of Withey and agility of Marcus. I'm concerned about our perimeter defense on guys like Pullen. Valpo missed a lot of shots he wouldn't.

When Selby is free to play and if Elijah gets his act together, we'll be a better team. We'll have a better backcourt (Selby, Tyshawn, Tyrel, Brady, Releford, Elijah). We'll have a better frontcourt (McMorris, MkMorris, Withey, Robinson). We'll have a better coach.

I'm not too worried about KSU

vmwskywalk 11 years, 6 months ago

You won't change my mind on the James Madison game the other night, however I was impressed with their win yesterday. Yet there is one big problem emerging with KSU... freethrows. They've shot around 50% from the line. They will have a major test next week at Gonzaga. I think the Zags may win that one, but I will be rooting for KSU.

REHawk 11 years, 6 months ago

A bit off the subject of this article, I heard an interesting statistic yesterday while taking in the game between Ohio State and Florida, two top 10 ranked teams, Week #1. Of all the thousands of games played last year by Div. One schools, only 12 were between schools both rated in ESPN's Top Ten. Am not certain if that included the NCAA Tournament, or was just regular season play. And on another vein, our Friday opponent N. Texas defeated TX Tech in overtime last night. Top scorer banged in over 30 points.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 6 months ago

That is interesting. Florida completely "Folded" in the final 10 minutes of that game last night against Ohio State.

North Texas is a decent team that only lost one player from their squad last year. With that said they also gain one of their leading scorers from 2008-2009 who went down in the 4th game last year with a knee injury. They are predicted to win the Sun Belt and be an NCAA tournament team again this year.

Dirk Medema 11 years, 6 months ago

That's a typical KU opponent, smaller program, lesser name, but still tourney team.

kufaninmo 11 years, 6 months ago

florida folded cause billly donovan is an overrated tool

REHawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Bob Knight waxed keen over that Spradling kid, K State. When I heard that Pullen had collected 3 fouls at the 8 minute mark I figured that the Wildcats were in big trouble, esp with Kelly in street clothes. Looks as though they have depth comparable to ours.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 6 months ago

Pullen literally only played 3 minutes in the first half. He picked up 2 quick fouls the first 2.5 minutes of the game and then Martin put him back in about the 12 minute mark and picked up a charge on a fast break trying to dish and was only in for like 30 seconds.

Knight had every right to give praise to Spradling because he was everywhere defensively. He drew 3 charges in the first half and one was at half court. Kid knows how to run an offense. He's going to be a big compliment to that team.

Tim Bingaman 11 years, 6 months ago

I think that "Sherron will make a play" was our downfall the past 2 years. Amazing player, but not good enough to put the team on his back. Only a very few could ever do that... Manning is the only one at KU that I ever saw that could be counted on everytime.

Let's hope the multiple leaders emerge... Someone mentioned that we have too many shooters for them all to go cold... I totally agree.

Lots of leaders! It's what we have had on many incredible teams, including the '08 Championship team.

Rock Chalk!

Dirk Medema 11 years, 6 months ago

Danny was that special, special player, but he will tell you the same thing that the announcers in '88 said, "Who is the unknown Jayhawk?" The other players stepped up huge in all 3 of the final games. Even Clint Normore (?SP), the safety from the FB team that ran the O for significant stretches, and had the best block/tackle of the game (ever?) even if it was called a foul. Danny would probably also tell you that he pulled a few plays that would have fans screaming at Sherron in '09 & '10, though somehow forgotten in '08 & '88.

It is good that this team, like '08 & '88, has the maturity to step up and suport *, that '09, '10 lacked for all its youthful potential.

Justin Carlson 11 years, 6 months ago

Alright other than an above average basketball IQ I struggle with a lot of things that are NCAA such as BCS! (should be BS) expanding the tourney (another BS move) So my question to all of you that are a lot smarter than me, Will Josh Selby play if so when?

Please place your vote below!

1. Within a couple of weeks 3 - 5 game suspension then allowed to play ___

2. Lose first semester start Big 12 play in January X_ (My vote)

3. Not put on the crimson and blue ___

4. Get sick of waiting and say screw the NCAA and head to Europe___

Your thoughts?

Chris Shaw 11 years, 6 months ago

Based on the quotes above and Selby's "Leadership" qualities, I think Self is confident that Selby could get cleared on his amateur status this week (That's the rumor anyway).

Once he's cleared (I think he will be) who knows what the NCAA will do with his suspension of games. He's already missed two and will probably miss Friday's as well. That's 3 games so if I had to make a guess he would get another 4 games and be ready by the UCLA game, but miss the Las Vegas Invitational.

The suspension part is so unpredictable it's anybody's guess on what the NCAA will do. I really hope it's not the first semester because I do feel it's important that Selby get some good quality play against some non-conference opponents.

KANSTUCKY 11 years, 6 months ago

1. Clear him for all games and give him an extra semester of eligibility_X__

KANSTUCKY 11 years, 6 months ago

Anybody hear if Dick V. pulled his head out yet? He should have had enough time in there with Roy and Mike by now.

Joe Baker 11 years, 6 months ago

It's a permanent state of being for Dick!

Christopher Hauser 11 years, 6 months ago

During whatever game he was announcing yesterday he said something to the extent of, I think I underated KU a little, they have looked really good so far. He is such a jack wagon for a 5th place prediction, it is such a moronic prediction that it is funny.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 6 months ago

1. Kansas named automatic Finalist in Championship game...rest of the nation has to go through the NCAA Playoffs to face us. Dick Vitale will be required to wear a KU Pom Pom Girl's Outfit for the entire broadcast!!__

I'm sticking with the NCAA sitting Josh for three more games and letting him start against Arizona in Vegas.....otherwise, ESPN will be pi$$ed.

REHawk 11 years, 6 months ago

I just ordered a portable XM radio, so that if Dicky should broadcast any of our games, I can shut him down and listen to rational play by play from KU broadcast crew. Is always to be desired that a televiewer can be qickly informed about who has fouled, who has entered the game from the bench, which coach has dropped to the court from cardiac intervention, etc. Rather than a five minute one sentence diversion into the private perambulations of the two kings of Carolina hoops. Actually, sometimes Gurley and Armstrong tend to wander away from precise game detail, too. Dicky's muddled ramblings might be contagious.

tis4tim 11 years, 6 months ago

+1 for using perambulation in a sentence.

jmsuther 11 years, 6 months ago

So what do you guys see for the starting lineup if Selby does get cleared. Does Reed or Releford stay in the lineup.. Personally I would have to go with Reed.

Theutus 11 years, 6 months ago

I think it depends on what happens the first game or two with Selby... If Selby is going to play the 1 (which i think he should) than he should not start, but come in for Taylor. They can both end up in the game at the same time (kind of like Little/Releford) but not both starting.

Reed needs to be in the game because he's a hustler, and he pesters the living hell out of opponents. He's also one of our best shooters. We need him from behind the arc.

Although I think Taylor has played pretty solid the last couple games... He still isn't creating anything. He's not really a scoring threat for opponents either. Most of his points come from fast breaks where anyone in the 1PG spot is going to get the layup/dunk in transition... So I think if Selby can shoot/slash/create... Than he needs to be taking minutes directly from TT until TT can make that happen. The last thing I want to see (and i'm sure a lot of fans will agree) is last years "lets pass around the arc 10 times until the shot clock is about to expire then hand it to Sherron to throw up a contested crappy shot". That's not an offense. Your PG's should be able to slash and create open men and alley oops like the 08 team did so well.

jmsuther 11 years, 6 months ago

I completely I agree but if selby is what they say he is you have to start him. Maybe put TT at the 1 selby at the 2 then start reed or releford at the 3 depending on the match ups of the other team

SCHNBALL 11 years, 6 months ago

shaw, could not agree more, k-state is a complete team and looks ready to make a deep run into the March. For me, our run depends on the full development of 2 guys, Withey and Robinson. Most that post here worry about the 2 and 3 spot, while I believe our interior D will in the end decide our run. K-State plays a physical, tough game and I know we are capable of this type of game, but I have seen our teams get soft over the last 2 years. I hope HCBS will allow the development of these 2 guys even if they are having a bad game, let them play through, even if maybe it may cost us a game or two. As far as Morningstar goes, do you think that maybe the ticket scandal is not over at his house? Me personally, I don't think this is over at all and wonder if behind the scenes this has affected our recruting? I think our team this year is much harder to guard than last because of our speed and should offset some of weaknesses on defense early in the year, but come league and tourny time, I hope to see Robinson and Withey defenders of our glass!!

100 11 years, 6 months ago

ESPN article said it best about KSU:

"They hack & they get hacked. Is this really a team worthy of top 10 consideration? Are the rest of the teams in the NCAA that bad?"

For the record, that VT defense was HoRribLe!!!!!

All that said, KSU isn't by any means a team to laugh at, they're good & they have some OK depth. The problem with their style is their strategy doesn't seem adjustable (what's Frank yelling about this time, not hacking hard enough!!) which is the point of the ESPN article (hack, be hacked, shoot 3's, dominate lesser teams).

They're good within their comfort zone of doing Frank's strategy against teams this works against. This is true. However VT's defense was really bad.

It will be interesting to see their final scores in Stillwater, Norman, Austin, College Station, Waco. Just not sold that the hack attack combined with Frank yelling at his players over jet airplane noise will work on the road at arenas where the fans will handcuff & BBQ the referees if fouls aren't called.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 6 months ago

Considering a majority of ESPN analysts including Franschilla thought VT had the edge without Kelly explains a lot. Frank Martin's team is quite frankly Duke without all the whistle's? Who's fault is that?

Martin has shown improvement every year he's been there and he just dominated a top 25 team without any of his go to guys really making an impact. Maybe ESPN should mention that fact. If it seems like I'm a little defensive it's because I am.

I understand the slaps that KU gets from the National Media at times, but it's miniscule in comparison to the constant negative articles already the national media is putting forth towards K-State and it's only the second game of the season.

As far as road games I think K-State will be just fine. They won on the road at every place last year except Kansas and Missouri and they even won on the road at UNLV and Alabama. K-State won't have to worry about playing on the road against OU, Tech, or Baylor because they already played their last year. A&M, OSU, and Texas will definitely be formidable road opponents, but as long as they get 1 out of the 2 between A&M and OSU they will be fine. K-State for some reason alwayss plays well in Austin so that is basically a Pick em game anyway.

Ron Franklin 11 years, 6 months ago

Your objectivity is quite refreshing.....

being an alumn of both schools (KU & KSU), I get frustrated with all the "homer posters" who use their love for all things KU as their rationale, instead of actually looking at the facts of a situtation/team objectively.

Don't get me wrong, when they match up head-to-head, I want to see a close game, but I ALWAYS want the Hawks to come out on top, but as you mention a legit rivalry is very good for our state and this conference.

100 11 years, 6 months ago

Forgot the Big 12 is still alive.

Next year Frank will have to travel down south to all arenas.

As for your discussion on KSU, I'm glad you're sold. There's no doubt they're a solid team.

Lots of the season left to play, they've really only looked great in any way shape or form for a few minutes against a poor defense. And they're still going with the Frankie Hack & be hacked attack. It works. Against lesser teams... Just about every time.

Let's see what happens when they're on the road & a strategy adjustment is required.

I'm just saying lets not veer from what we saw on the tube; VT's feet were stuck in the floor on defense.

KSU has done a good job recruiting.... I'll stay away from the checkbook scandal after Huggins left & the Bob Huggins hire in the first place after he had been banned from the NCAA & how he landed Beasley in the first place.

This is not the place for ethics, but anyone who followed that should understandably have an upset stomach when a team is propped up to feed the nation tasty coconuts a few years later after a tainted seed was planted to sprout the coconut tree in the first place.

Anyway they're a good team.

"Frank's a yellin & the kids are a playin!"

Totally agree with you on that point. Not to be overlooked. As for your point about KSU being laughed at or not respected nationally, the journalists are not stupid. They saw how this whole thing went down. Anyone following that Michael Beasley recruiting knew something sketchy was going on.

That was the temporary re-birthing of KSU basketball. They did get Frank Martin out of it & an "assistant coach" who happens to be a heck of a recruiter that is about a phone call from an NCAA investigation (he's the coach getting paid nearly as much as Frank Martin because of his DC ties to the AAU team).

Anyway I'll stay away from that for now.

KSU appears to have a solid & physical team this year based on the minimal game footage we have.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 6 months ago

100: I completely agree with what you're saying. I'm first and foremost Crimson and Blue all the way, but the consistent "Homerism" for KU is just flat out ridiculous when comparing K-State and KU this season.

Of course K-State has things they have to work on. So does KU. KU is without Selby and even EJ so KU has two major components that we as fans have no idea how they will gel with the rest of the team. K-State is the same way without Kelly at the moment.

My only point is that for so many people to completely disregard K-State is crazy. You know, maybe they are a little "High" at #3, but honestly who cares. The only thing I do know is that they are a for sure Top 10 team at the moment.

Maybe if V Tech was slow "Slow Footed" then maybe that is a positive for K-State. I thought Spradling, McGruder (9 rebounds) and Irving played fantastic. They did that without much contribution from Pullen and if that's truly the case then they have "More Power" than anybody is giving them credit for.

Do I hope KU sweeps K-State again? Absolutely! Ever since the conference realignment talk I've become very uneasy about the fragile state our conference is currently in. KU is going to have to look out for intself in the end, but the better K-State is in athletics all the better for KU. KU needs to pick up the slack in the football department. I'm just trying to look at the big picture here. Nobody would ever consider splitting up Duke and Carolina and their football programs are a complete disaster.

100 11 years, 6 months ago

Well said.

As for the conference issue, I think Nebraska will learn the hard way leaving multiple hundred year opponents behind (whether they want to call us a rival or not is another story), in the end is not worth it.

KSU fans were understandably very concerned about what would happen had KU left, and I honestly didn't get the feeling it was mutual. That's why the PAC 10 commish was in KC by the way and missed being in Austin where he should have been, he had a meeting with Perkins set up.

In the end KSU fans are probably right; keeping the conference together as much as possible is the right thing to do.

As a KU fan who has moderately appreciated some of KSU's teams over the years (some being the key word), I have a hard time respecting how historically this most recent crop was planted in Manhattan, sprouting from the Huggins bush.

That said, long live Ahearn, Hartman, Kruger, Altman & the rest. Clean & classy coaches & their fans back then had a real beef which was fun. Kinda felt like a red headed step child's gradeschool was mad at you, which really made it that much more comical to boot (mad being the key word, they show up in town throwing chickens & bananas, what we did we still don't know but it made for some good memories even if we proceeded to stomp them in an average year, whether it was football or basketball).

I think most of us really like Frank, except for his famous Mangino moment glorified on YouTube. Just unfortunate he fell from the Huggins bush during the check scandal.

Who knows what happened, gotta give KSU credit, conveniently that story & the story of their overpaid assistant conveniently went fluttering through the wind in DC, hidden amongst the overflowing lightening bolts of John Calipari stories.

All said, you're right, KSU suddenly being respectable in basketball with a visable coach after a two decade collapse should be good for the Big 12 when we need it most.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 6 months ago

100: I see what you're saying about Huggy Bear, but KU hasn't been Mr. Clean either. Just like K-State there is some questions I would love to be unearthed from the great confines of our underground world? Or do I really want to know?

One thing I do know is that I want the lid dropped and I want to it to fall hard across the board of all college amateur athletics. It's a complete mess right now and IMO if something does get blown up, it's going to be just as big as the steroid scandal even though they tried to cover most of that up.

As far as Martin, he has his flaws, but where I gained the most respect for Martin was after his little Mangino-youtube moment. When that incident happened he didn't wait and called a press conference on his own without the help of his athletic director first thing the next morning. He admitted his wrongdoing right away and took accountability for his intensity at that particular moment with his player.

I don't like all of Martin's antics, but he's a player's coach and I would play for him any day. I just gained a lot of respect from him even though he made that mistake.

100 11 years, 6 months ago

The national media (and fans of the big 3) love giving us stuff whenever there's a possibility of anything that went wrong. Obviously the ticket scandal was embarrassing & we can all be glad they changed the system to transparent.

That said, small schools that fly under the radar don't get the media scrutiny the big 3 get & I suppose rightly so.

But when a zero suddenly turns into 75 & there are two big stories & some dots to be conected I'm surprised that outlets like ESPN don't write an expose about what really happened planting that coconut tree.

Our stuff is for the public to see and be ridiculed about if any of it can hold water.

So why not see a solid journalistic piece on the missing check, the underhanded hiring of Huggins, the essential hiring of Beasly, the kindness of Huggins insisting on Frank staying, the overpaid AAU assistant with DC connections & the rebirth of basketball in a town that hadn't seen it in 20 years?

I'm just saying it would make it easier to kindly applaud a fellow big 12 team that does it right if we could admit a moment of an athletic department selling it's soul to a banned coach who was not legally supposed to be recruiting was the key moment that shifted the balance there.

I do like Frank, he's a good man, a good coach. I think we all do.

Brianna Zaleski 11 years, 6 months ago

The negativity that KSU has been getting in the national media is worse than what KU receives on a yearly basis? Are you serious? KU gets slighted constantly and w/out prejudice. KSU is getting its first taste of expectations and doubters and you want to put them on a level w/ us when it comes to being disrespected by the media and the country. Hell Dick Vitale has us in 5th in our league! That's disrespect. Almost every national poll has KSU in the top 5 so I don't see that has a whole lot of disrespect. In fact any disrespect they get, you can pretty much attribute to the attitude towards this area of the country. Most people on the coasts can't fathom that we can be good at sports in fly-over country. But to say that KSU is getting a worse go of it in the media than we get on a yearly basis is just asinine

Zig: A few things here

1) You and I are kind of saying the same thing

2) Dick Vitale is just one media outlet, but he's been anti-KU ever since KU or Self or somebody wouldn't support some charity or something during a summer that Vitale was frontlining a couple years back.

3) I understand K-State is now finally having to deal with expectations and all that, but from a majority of the articles I'm reading K-State seems to be taking a "Big Hit" simply because they aren't the normal front runner in the college basketball scene. And, I agree with you about the media bias towards the Midwest.

4) Even though K-State might be picked #1 in the Big 12 most all think they have to go through KU in order to get it done.

My only point is that KU being ranked in the Top 10, most don't disagree with that sentiment. Many and I mean majority disagree with K-State being in the Top 5. Personally, I think they belong there during preseason and for the time being simply because of what they accomplished and what they have coming back.

Because they are a "Newbie" I think they are currently getting more negativity than they deserve. That's sports though. We'll see! Believe me, I understand the slight from the national media in regards to the Jayhawks. I live it on a yearly basis and witness it during the NCAA tournament. I know!

I believe both K-State and KU get their disrespect simply because of geographical location and at this current moment in time because K-State is not usually at the top, they are getting hit pretty hard by the pundits.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 6 months ago

Great point about the ticket scandal and it possibly being brought "Home". Maybe it is affecting Morningstar. Nobody really knows, but I don't think it's really affected recruiting. I've posted many times on this topic and history has shown that the 2011 class wouldn't be huge. By "Huge" I mean 3 or 4 "Impact" players right away. Tharpe will be good eventually, but McLemore is the main target and if KU gets him than it will be a successful recruiting class.

2012 and 2013 are the classes that KU truly needs to hit the "Jackpot" otherwise than it could be viewed as a big miss. I think you make a great point about Robinson and Withey. I also think somebody is going to have to step up and hit "Big Shots" when the team needs it. Chalmers and Collins (excluding the UNI game) were pretty darn good at this through their careers.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 6 months ago

jmsuther...I just don't know if I have Tyshawn, Josh and Tyrel all on the floor at the same time when Trob and the Twins can be there. Put Marcus at the 3 and split up the backline with the best combination [Frankly, at least at the beginning, I think you split Josh and Tyshawn and leave Tyrel out there as much as possible.

jmsuther 11 years, 6 months ago

I think TROB has a lot of work to do with finishing around the rim before you can start him. I don't see self moving marcus either. I don't see the problem with selby tyshawn and reed all out there

jmsuther 11 years, 6 months ago

KuKain 11 years, 6 months ago

@#!!...There's a new link on the Men's Basketball page that says Josh Selby timeline, but the link is dead. Is there new info or just old news, WTF!

f8 11 years, 6 months ago

I sent a message to LJW, reply from LJW:

The timeline originally wasn't supposed to show up there. We've fixed it so the broken link was taken down.

The timeline, in case you're interested, can be found here:

Jonathan Kealing 11 years, 6 months ago

For what it's worth, it's not new news. We're just getting our ducks in a row for whenever word does come out on whether Selby will be eligible. As f8 links below, you can see the timeline we have put together. Right now, though, it's all old news.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 6 months ago

LMAO! That is hilarious! I think KU has 4.5 out of the 5 pretty solid at the moment. IMO the jury is out on Withey so I gave him a 1/2.

tis4tim 11 years, 6 months ago

Funny, though I could have gone without seeing Ali F***manesh one more time (see photo #4 along with what looks like the back of Cole's head).

Chris Shaw 11 years, 6 months ago

Reed's defense? I have to disagree with you here Ralster. I'm not sure what you really wanted Reed to do. He was virtually on a 2 on 1 situation. I mean, nobody in their right mind thinks he shoots that shot except Ali himself in that situation.

You're always taught to work from the paint-outside. I'm just baffled at how that is Reed's fault in that situation? If anything, it's Taylor's fault for over pursing and missing on the steal and Collins jogging back.

Reed was safety and knew the other UNI guy was to his right he just didn't know where. I think Reed thought like anybody and that Ali was contained and that Collins was on his way so he went back to the paint and was going to work his way out. I don't fault Reed one bit in that situation.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 6 months ago

I understand now. It just sounded like you were individually calling out Reed in that circumstance. I still can't believe that shot. Oh well! You bring up a great point about Sherron and Tyshawn. I'll be honest, that is what truly scares me about Selby, EJ, Tyshawn type of lineup. It's unfair to characterize Selby because we haven't seen him play or not, but I love the speed of that lineup, but the outside shooting scares the tar out of me. I hate UNC by the way.

jaybate 11 years, 6 months ago

~“Aaron had a unique way. He could be ornery and still get anybody to do what he wanted them to do, to do what was best for us and have them not know he totally manipulated them. He was very smart in that regard.”--Bill Self referring to Aaron Miles and Naadir Tharpe (reportedly said with a laugh)

This reveals more about Self than Miles, or Tharpe.

~“I don’t know if we’ll have one (leader). I don’t know if that’s bad, either. I think we’ll do it by committee.”--Bill Self

Never seen a really good team without a leader, but I like Self's willingness to try it.

~"How soon he gets comfortable I think could go a long way in giving us a presence.” Bill Self on Josh Selby

Point the Foist: Self has apparently been telling himself this about Josh Selby: "Believe, Bill, believe."

Point the Second: It is a bit scary to depend on a freshman who may not even get cleared to play this season for the presence a good team requires.

Point the Thoid: Self has apparently been given some advance notice by the NCAA that things are going to resolve soon with Selby playing this season. This is the first sign of optimism in his public announcements in over two weeks, since the spin preparing people for the worst began. Good sign.

Theutus 11 years, 6 months ago

Must have missed the 08 team.... They didn't have 1 go-to leader... They were built just like this team.

jaybate 11 years, 6 months ago

Sure, Theutus, and Brandon Rush played for Memphis that year, too. Will you ever learn not to operate out of your depth? :-)

Theutus 11 years, 6 months ago

Brandon Rush a team leader? He was pretty much the quietest guy on the court..... He's not a leader at all. A great basketball player yes, a leader not even close.

And i'm out of my depth? ha. Keep writing your blog posts and chasing after that pipe dream of becoming a sports writer jaybate, i'll go back to ignoring everything you post like most others do.

jaybate 11 years, 6 months ago

Add Catherine Denueve at 30 and its my dream come true. :-)

100 11 years, 6 months ago

Someone had talked about TRobb starting at some point. I must say he's really come along.

However.... I'm glad its not happening yet anyway... There is something great about the chemistry of Kief & Marcus. Things you spend 4 years unsuccessfully teaching some kids about chemistry, they've had since their egg split 20 years ago.

Now, with their eyes closed if need be, they share the egg on Naismith court better than any bigs in America.

You could start Trobb at the 4 if you Shift Marcus to the 3 & keep Kief at the 5.

That leaves Tyshawn & Josh running the show in a perfect world (also Reed's consistency has been quite a good surprise so far too, it's awfully hard to put him on the bench even in this scenario).

Like most of you, that mismatch at the 3 is so fun to look at with Marcus. Without a doubt, we'd have to really watch our fouls in that situation, because 75% of our bigs are out on the floor with only Withey on the pine to pick up the slack.

The positive is that Marcus scores at will.....

Come to think of it.... doesn't he pretty much do that anyway?

Man what a team we have this year boys!

wackattack1991 11 years, 6 months ago

i think that reed can be a very valuable weapon and might fly under the radar with some teams. i he can hit the trey we have a good shot this year.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 6 months ago

The dream post:

1] Josh Selby has been cleared to play and, as compensation, Kansas will be given a 20 point lead at the start of every game for the next 20 seasons by the NCAA. 2] Ben McLemore drives right on through St. Louis and Columbia on Saturday and signs his letter of intent at "The Wheel" whereby drinks are on the house till midnight. 3] The red-headed girl from Texas and KU's personal porn star enroll at Kansas, join the cheerleading team and institute see-through cheer outfits. 4] The State of Missouri goes bankrupt, closes MU Columbia and turns it into a giant puppy mill, meth lab and marijuana farm. 5] John Calipart, Coach K, Uncle Roy and Billy Donovan are abducted by aliens. 6] Dick Vitale has a sex change operation and comes back as Maude!! 7] An OakvilleJHawk-designed, Jaybate-financed 25,000 seat new Allen Fieldhouse is built across the street from the now historical landmarked existing structure. The configuration and every unique feature of the original will be copied plus every modern comfort will be added. 8] Meachem wins the Heisman trophy, KU wins the BCS Championship and HCTG is COTY.

Wishfully taken, no malice intended.

jaybate 11 years, 6 months ago

Dick Vitale has a sex change operation and comes back as a man!

jaybate 11 years, 6 months ago

Coach Consonants develops acute self-loathing and orders his players to cheap shot their own coach.

KU students smear pine tar all over the MU floor and leave a sign that reads: "Let's see you fast break now, fools!"

Jay Bilas comes back from de-humility training and slaps Vitale senseless on national television.

All the players, coaches and students Bob Knight ever verbally, or physically abused, show up on an ESPN Game Day and assault Knight with Louisville Sluggers. The police order every one to stand back and let justice be done.

Rick Barnes announces his breast implants have fallen, goes on Oprah, and weaps about not being able to deal with Bill Self's masculinity.

Roy Williams has a tear ductectomy procedure to try to stop his crying jags at the end of each season, only find himself peeing uncontrollably after each end of season loss.

Rick Pitino announces he is marrying all of his ex lovers in a civil ceremony in southern Utah "to try to make things right," and simultaneously accepts a new 5 year contract to coach the University of Southeastern Utah Fighting Polygamists.

Jim Calhoun holds a press conference to announce that he is not quite dead yet, despite the near flat line on his heart monitor.

Max Falkenstein announces that since he is apparently never going to die, he's starting out all over at the bottom by becoming the voice of Wamego High, and expects to replace Dick Vitale in two seasons.

Beyonce agrees to become an honorary KU cheerleader and designated national anthem singer, if she is allowed to date Thomas Robinson.

All fiction, no malice.

Selbyville 11 years, 6 months ago

I was glad to hear this from HCBS. It seems like this sort of comradery was missing from last year's team. At times last season when the team was out of flux, the players couldn't work out solutions then and there on the court. Self would have to burn a timeout, bring in the players and try to get them on the same page. It's fantastic to see that these guys are taking it upon themselves to become better students of the game and realize that they can mesh things out themselves. I'm becoming more and more impressed with this year's team with each passing day. Good stuff!

Theutus 11 years, 6 months ago

Not only that, but I think this has probably been good for the team chemistry... This gave the rest of the team a little longer to adjust to him in practice rather than him coming in and starting immediately as a Freshman....

All in all, as long as he doesn't have to cough up too many more games to the NCAA, i'd say this has been a win/win for the team...

REHawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Not only is Josh absorbing his team's play from the sidelines, but he is also playing with and against them in daily practices. If his analytical acumen is parallel to his amazing physical skills and determination, you are right, Ralster. This personal setback could be the making of a splendid season for him...if or when the NCAA sets him free. That said, it is terrific that the Jayhawks are playing so well without him. The mind boggles to imagine what potentially still lies ahead. Gotta hope that team chemistry adjusts quickly to his presence in the lineup. That will be another test of his worth.