Friday, May 28, 2010

Sporting News taps KU football No. 31

The Sporting News Preseason Top 100 list ranked the Kansas University football team No. 31 in the country for the upcoming 2010 season. KU was listed as the second-best team in the Big 12 North, behind No. 7 Nebraska.

Other Big 12 teams ahead of Kansas included No. 9 Texas, No. 10 Oklahoma and No. 30 Texas A&M.; Missouri was No. 33, while Kansas State was No. 85.

Alabama is ranked as the preseason No. 1, followed by Ohio State, Boise State, Miami and Florida.

For a reaction on the list, check out Eric Sorrentino's latest Conference Chatter blog entry.

Comments

tbbucboy21 12 years, 6 months ago

wow. alot of respect for a team that lost its coach, stars, and 7 straight games 2 end the year. love the respect we get tho. k=state at 85? no respect around country for the purple kittens

Dirk Medema 12 years, 6 months ago

The rankings always whiff on a few teams. Is Miami really the 4th best team? The kitties at 85 seems to be misplaced a year or 2. The most fun has to be mizzoo at 33.

klineisanazi 12 years, 6 months ago

Maybe they think Mizzou has already left for the Big Ten.

KUFan90 12 years, 6 months ago

Out ranking Mizzou...that can't make the tiggers too happy...love it.

bradh 12 years, 6 months ago

I have to agree with Tbbuc, how in the world can they rate us that high. New coaches, new schemes, and the loss of most of our stars would seem to indicate a drop off this year, not a vast improvement. Maybe next year when the players are used to the new schemes.

Dirk Medema 12 years, 6 months ago

Maybe they recognize that last year w/o the disfunction would really have been as good as projected, which means that this year at 31 (w/o the disfunction) is a drop off.

Maybe it just shows that the rest of the country has more confidence in our coach than too many of our fans.

Jonathan Allison 12 years, 6 months ago

weird rating. I look at the talent that we have and the coaches that we have and I like to think that we're that good. But considering what we've gone through in the past year it just doesn't seem to add up. We'll have a first year starter all of our skill positions on offense. We had one of the worst defenses in the country last year and return pretty much everyone except for our best player. We have a brand new coaching staff with brand new schemes on both sides of the ball that the players are still familiarizing themselves with. And of course we have lost 7 straight games.

Hopefully we're the 31st best team in the country, in fact, I'll be happy just making a bowl game... any bowl game. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Bill Kackley 12 years, 6 months ago

Maybe a little far-fetched but not a lot. I've been saying all along that even though we have new starters at our skill positions, we had excellent depth. Defense, I think will be much inproved, not because the talent has improved that much but because we are going from a sit back zone defense (ugh) to a pressure defense. Like in BB, that can make a world of difference. Kids love to apply pressure on D

Dirk Medema 12 years, 6 months ago

The O also has the anchor of a returning OL. Yes, I have heard the comments about the Spring game, but have also heard that the stats that are commonly given as reason for concern were the result of the second team. The first team is solid.

Mostly tho, I think it goes to show the confidence the rest of the nation has in our (non-dysfunctional) coaching staff.

okiedave 12 years, 6 months ago

Uhhh, Kitties 85?? Didn't they beat KU last year? Shows pre-season polls are worthless. KU, for obvious reasons should be moved up to No. 5 based on the hard evidence of how successful he was at Buffalo.

KCHawk81 12 years, 6 months ago

Is "he" KU? Or did you leave out an antecedent in your rush to criticize our football coach? (I'm in a grammatical mood today.)

Ron Prichard 12 years, 6 months ago

Last year's scores are always the best way to predict this year's records. That's why teams finish with exactly the same record and with the exact same standings every single year. Right?

Ben Kane 12 years, 6 months ago

i love KU but that ranking is absurd right now.

Phoggin_Loud 12 years, 6 months ago

I agree with dagger108,

This ranking shows respect not only for Gill, but the entire staff, as well.

In addition, the talent-level is at least on par with the rest of the North.

I look forward to a fun season.

Happy Memorial day to all!!!

jhokfan 12 years, 6 months ago

31? Are they serious? With all the key players we lost, a yet to be determined QB and a new coach.

The voting must have taken place in Florida. Someone needs to re-count the ballots.

Jonathan Briles 12 years, 6 months ago

Some Jayhawk fans are so embarrassing. Instead of rejoicing and being excited for your team, some of you are saying that the professionals who made this ranking are wrong. Why can some of you not just be happy and accept that some professionals see some real potential in our team.

tbbucboy21 12 years, 6 months ago

i do see potential. a coach who made eric crouch a heisman. an o.c. who made white a heisman at ou. an sec d coord. and the best recruiting classes in ku history growing up. seems like unlimited potential 2 me. with a returning o-line with a running threat qb in pick and great group of backs and a group of great prospective receivers the o looks to be on the field alot this year which will help our weak improving d hopefully. with an easier schedule y cant we be good? i personally would love 2 c ku play at yankee stadium at the inaugural pinstripe bowl this year

KURocksChalk 12 years, 6 months ago

Maybe this is due to the clueless sports person who confuses K-state and KU. That always drives me nuts. I think KSU has a very good chance at reaching and exceeding 31 this year. Snyder can coach and he has had a full year now to shore up some things. Carson Coffman was very good in the spring game, Daniel Thomas is a stud, and last year their defense got tougher and tougher as the year went on. They are my pick for 1 or 2 in the North. KU could surpise some people and I will do a cartwheel in the front yard if we beat Georgia Tech. That could mean a season worthy of this ranking. Everyone but Colorado seems to be getting better. To keep pace with that is going to be difficult.

okiedave 12 years, 6 months ago

Yes, I did leave "Gill" out in the reference to KU. I should take more time to proof read. Thanks for the catch. However, the comment was not intended as a criticism of Gill. I think Gill will be a great coach and will have a good year. The comment was intended as a criticism of the baseless preseason rankings. We have lost an experienced quarterback and receivers and, with that experience, still lost to KSU last year. And now we are ranked light years ahead of KSU? I cannot think of any solid evidence why KU would be ranked ahead of KSU, except for the arrival of Gill -- so why stop at 31 -- move us on up.

troutsee 12 years, 6 months ago

I keep trying to tell you guys that this year's team will be a lot better than many of you think. We have very capable players that will fit in nicely at the skilled positions. The well is not dry as it was when MM came. Last year's team underperformed and had some critical turnovers that lost several games. Our defense will be better too. But, like always, I am the eternal optimist and always look at the bright side.

KURocksChalk 12 years, 6 months ago

Trout, I think we COULD be better than 6-6 which I predicted. If Pick runs the option well and Sands performs like his Dad we could have an awesome ground game. Throw in some spread, a better defense, and who knows how good we could be. If we can create turnovers, improve special teams and eat clock we could see at least 8 wins. I liked Todd a lot, but having someone who can see the field and greater running ability, and an arm that is better than Todd's so I hear, there are many reasons to be optimistic. I don't think we are going to see so many close ones get away with this regime. There were three games that we really could have won last year. CU, KSU, MU should all have been w's. I credit Bowen for those. Our basketball team could play better pass defense. Hey, there's an idea!

troutsee 12 years, 6 months ago

Agree, the three winnable games. Pick will be the man. From what I saw in the spring game, he was easily the best QB. I think our offense will actually be better.