Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Self adds Buford as walk-on for 2007-08

Chase Buford, a 6-foot-3 senior guard from Alamo Heights High School in the San Antonio area, will play basketball at Kansas University next season as a preferred walk-on.

Buford, the son of former KU assistant and current San Antonio Spurs general manager R.C. Buford, did not play this past high school season because of complications from an enlarged spleen.

During his junior year, he averaged 9.2 points and 2.7 assists while playing shooting guard and point guard for 20-12 Alamo Heights.

Buford received some recruiting interest from Virginia after playing for the Spurs AAU team after his junior season. He also had similar walk-on opportunites at Florida and Texas.

"I'm really excited. It's a pretty neat opportunity," Chase Buford said today. "My mom (Beth Boozer) went to school there. My dad coached there in '88 (national title season). It seems half our family went there. It's in my blood, I guess."

His high school coach, Charlie Boggess, said Buford came on strong late in his junor year, averaging about 16 points his last 12 games.

"He has a nice stroke and likes to go to the rim. He's a tough kid with quick hands, not afraid to take charges," Boggess said. "He's a blue collar player with a great knowledge of the game. He has a knack for the game. I would bet he'd follow in his pop's footsteps," he added of R.C., regarded one of the top GM's in the NBA who coached at KU under Larry Brown and is a close friend of KU coach Bill Self.

"I think he'll be a good addition to Kansas' team," Boggess added. "Put him around really good athletes and he could take another step in the right direction. He'll be a good guy to have around. He'll work hard. He may surprise some people, get in games and do some good things especially toward the end of his career."

Boggess said because of injury there was simply no way to get Buford on the court for his senior season.

The enlarged spleen was the culprit. He's since been cleared to play.

"Every time he'd get it scanned it was it was, 'Nope,''' Boggess said of doctors' recommendation to not take the court. "After the spleen is enlarged, if it's down significantly you can pad it. His didn't go down. At the same time his immune system weakened and he was sick. He's OK now and ready to play."

R.C. Buford is thrilled for his son.

"I'm excited about him coming up there," R.C. Buford said. "It's a unique opportunity to play at Kansas and a special opportunity. I'm thrilled for Chase. He will get to experience some great moments as I did. I'm happy he found a place he feels is right for him."

KU has four walk-ons on the roster next season, including Matt Kleinmann, Conner Teahan and Brennan Bechard. Junior-to-be Brad Witherspoon is a fifth walk-on who is not yet assured a spot on the 2007-08 team.

For more on this story, read tomorrow's Journal-World and log onto KUSports.com.

Comments

filmhawk 15 years, 6 months ago

can somebody tell me what a "preffered" walk-on is? that's a new one for me.

thanks

justanotherfan 15 years, 6 months ago

As I understand it, preferred walk on means that if a scholarship comes open, the preferreds get it before the non-preferred walk-ons. Basically the preferreds are the next in line for that scholarship.

b_asinbeer 15 years, 6 months ago

I hope that Brad Witherspoon doesn't get kicked off.

That's the disadvantage of being a walk-on...if your dad isn't a Volleyball coach or a GM, your chances of staying are slim to none.

Nathan Mattison 15 years, 6 months ago

It would be a real shame if this resulted in Witherspoon (a Kansas kid) getting booted off the roster. Also, FYI, preferred walk-on means that they don't have to engage in the try-out process that some walk-ons had to endure to become part of the team, they are just on the team, and consequently, if a basketball sholarship becomes available a non-scholarship walk-on would get it, at the coach's discretion among all walk-ons.

Swamphawk 15 years, 6 months ago

I actually thought preferred walk on just meant that they got to walk-on without actually having to go through walk-on try-outs. A regular walk-on, on the other hand, has to try out for the team after already being a student.

Ryan Wood 15 years, 6 months ago

Preferred walk-ons have a spot on the team. Non-preferred walk ons (like Witherspoon) have to try out.

Jeremy Bolinger 15 years, 6 months ago

how is it a shame if someone who is better comes along and beats out someone who is not? Thats great for our program, because it will make our players better. Who cares about Brad Witherspoon? We still have Tyrel Reed and Matt Kleinman, and next season we will have Travis Releford. Last time I check, the state of Kansas isnt actually a hotbed for basketball talent. And to me, it looks like we have the cream of the crop of Kansas talent! I wont shed too many tears if Brad Witherspoon, a walk-on, isn't back next season.

ralsterKUMed95 15 years, 6 months ago

Although it certainly is a dream come true for any youngster to wear the KU uniform, there are simply too few roster spots to look at the Witherspoon scenario too emotionally. The only way a competitive, top5 program like the Univ. of Kansas can look at it is in a business-like goal-oriented manner of having the most talented roster possible--if that means yearly tryouts for the walk-ons--so be it! Good Lord--even cheerleaders have YEARLY tryouts and there is no guarantee year to year--some are actually off the squad for a yr--and there are political connections for sure in probably every team roster (if your dad is a coach, etc..)

Dee Shaw 15 years, 6 months ago

OK great we get a preferred walk on on our team. I get the feeling that this means that Brandnon Rush is gone. How many players will be on the team next year?

Chicago_JHawk 15 years, 6 months ago

It probably has nothing to do with Rush's status. I assume its a favor to Buford's Dad from Self. I don't know that there is a limit to roster size, aside from the 13 scholarship limit (12 for KU this season or next). It was only a few years ago that Kansas had a 16 or 17-man roster.

JayhawkPhil 15 years, 6 months ago

I don't know whether Buford is better than Witherspoon or not but obviously Witherspoon is thought to be the least talented of the 4 existing walkon's. If Witherspoon is better then it is unfair to him but that's one of the things that happen. It's like getting replaced by your Boss's son-in-law. It's why Roy Williams son and Bob Frederick's son got to play for North Carolina. It's not right but it happens and if you are talking about a walkon, then it's not that big of deal in the grand scheme of things.

Spencer Goff 15 years, 6 months ago

Wait, wait, wait. You guys have it all wrong!

A preferred walk-on is just a better version of a walk-on. He can use it at more stores, it has a lower finance charge, and no annual fee.

However, should a PLATINUM walk on come available, Coach should switch to that guy, as he has card usage benefits, the more you use him, the more he pays. Good stuff...

P.S: I saw a mock draft that has JuJu going to the T-Wolves. I would love that. I got Pink Floyd going right now in my head JuJu, wish you were still here.

CasperCorps 15 years, 6 months ago

Sweet we're needing guards on the team.

bmcmich1 15 years, 6 months ago

Of course he got the spot because of his dad! How do you think Scott Williams got a spot at Carolina? This stuff happens all the time, it's a fact of life that will never get old because it's so true: it's not what you know/are, but who you know/are. He may not be the most talented player, but he's R.C. Buford's son. At least his family's all KU through and through and he's got a pretty good grasp on the fact that he's gonna be a part of something pretty special--I think it's cool when KU people, no matter where they may end up, carry on the tradition by guiding their offspring back toward Lawrence to play sports/go to school as I will try to do with mine.

beebe1 15 years, 6 months ago

Heard that we were going to have 17, before we had two defectors. Looks like we would be back at sixteen, 17 with Witherspoon. The cry then was, you can only dress 15 for games. With so many guys, I hope the coach can get to the point he can play more than 8 for serious games!

kerbyd 15 years, 6 months ago

A walkon is still a walkon. Buford was offered walkon status at Virginia, Florida and Texas. Some pretty damn good schools in terms of bball. He has to pay his own way and sounds like maybe eventually he could be a decent player. So he MIGHT get to play a couple minutes at the end of the game if we are up by twenty. He also might become the next Moody. Walkons are usually used for practice. Let it go....

Dee Shaw 15 years, 6 months ago

Hey Azalum who cares. It goes back to the old saying of "Who you know". Good for him. He is using the positives to advance his future. Nothing wrong with that at ALL. Don't be such a sour puss. Get over it.