Thursday, May 11, 2006

Keegan

Keegan: Holy cow! Jayhawks loaded

Coaching basketball at the super-power level means forever seeing athletes that make the rest of us drop our jaws. Seeing them and yawning. It's what coaches do. They watch young, long, tall jumping jacks rattle rims, sprint the floor and block shots into the bleachers.

Kansas University assistant coach Tim Jankovich remembers the first time he saw Darrell Arthur, the 6-foot-9 forward who scheduled a news conference to announce his signing with Baylor, postponed it a day, and signed with KU. To the best of Jankovich's recollection, it was during Arthur's sophomore year, and he thinks it was during a visit with boss Bill Self to see a teammate at South Oak Cliff High in Dallas. He had heard about Arthur.

Said Jankovich: "As far as when, it's a little sketchy, but I do remember seeing him at the other end of the gym, where the younger players were, and we were like Holy : "

Cow!

"He was just this incredible athletic specimen, unbelievably long, one of those really thin, strong athletes, unbelievably fast and a quick jumper," Jankovich said. "His whole athletic package was different than you normally see."

KU assistant Kurtis Townsend first saw Arthur play last summer.

Townsend's first impressions: "I thought, 'What a terrific athlete who could run and jump and had a nice stroke for a kid his size.' I thought his ceiling was so high he has unbelievable potential."

And then Townsend saw that potential realized in flashes.

"There were times in the game he would just take it over, grab every rebound he wanted, make shots when the team needed it, block shots, outrun people, just change the game in a five-minute stretch," he said.

It's human nature to ask for a play-alike, even though basketball players are like hail stones, no two are exactly alike. Townsend gave it a shot.

"You know what I think, he's a Kevin Garnett-type kid, and by that I don't mean to say he's as good as Kevin Garnett, I mean a big guy who can run and jump and play inside and out," Townsend said. "And I don't think he handles the ball as well."

Arthur said that while playing in an all-star game, he asked St. Benedict's coach Danny Hurley what coach would be tough on him, and Hurley answered Self.

What does that say about the KU recruit who joins Sherron Collins and Brady Morningstar?

"That he wants to work and wants to get better, and it makes me feel like the kid gets it," Townsend said. "A lot of kids think they know it all, know what it takes. For that kid to say that, I thought was kind of a mature thing."

As an assistant, Townsend coached Jason Kidd, Lamond Murray, Tony Gonzalez and other professional athletes at California. He knows special talent.

"This team has a lot of talent," he said. "A lot of talent."

Townsend, Jankovich and Joe Dooley helped Self assemble it. Now, if the coaches can get the players to be as cohesive as the staff, there's no reason to believe there will be a more entertaining basketball team on the planet to watch next winter.

Think about it. The NBA? No thank you. Florida? Just as good, even better, until proven otherwise. More entertaining? No. The Globetrotters? Weak schedule. North Carolina? Close, but this isn't horseshoes.

Comments

Alex Staley 16 years, 3 months ago

Phog, man, this is getting a little out of control. Im not going to sit here and bash you like everyone else but it is really pretty sad that you feel you need to come on here and make us mad to have your fun for the day. It would be just like me going onto a Mizzou site every single day, reading every single news story and making dumb comments after every single story just to make all you tiger fans mad. You can imagine how annoying it is. Do us and yourself a favor and just stop with it buddy. THis is something we enjoy doing. We enjoy reading about the team that we love just like you probably do about your team. But when you come on here, trying to ruffle our feathers, it really does take that enjoyment away from us. Youve crossed the line, i guess. What once was just annoying is now downright rude. Thanks man.

JJHawq 16 years, 3 months ago

quoted:

sounds like he accomplished his goal.....

Craig Lang 16 years, 3 months ago

"Ording"

That's the type of education you get at Missouri.

skragglydoo 16 years, 3 months ago

These comments are about as worthwhile as this article...

thehawkster 16 years, 3 months ago

We all know that nothing happens at Mizzou. We should give Phog a break because it's not his fault that Mizzou sucks and nothing ever good happens there. So come on Phog, band together with the Jayhawk fans and see how it feels to acutally read about things that are going on in a good univeristy.

PS

Feel free to read and comment on our message boards anytime in order to make yourself that much happier. We all know that nothing good ever comes from MIzzou.

gojhawx 16 years, 3 months ago

I think phog is funny...you gotta love the guys who sit on the sideline and yell things like "You're not good" or maybe something clever like "No, really, you're not good"

Some people see the glass as half full, some - half empty, phog sees it as "there's another glass I'll have to scrape the mold off and wash in a couple of days"

I think in his future posts he should be dubbed phoggot

Patrick Bryant 16 years, 3 months ago

Ok, I admit it I just went to the MU website and found out why Phog is always on kusports.com - they have nothing of value. Their headlines were Q&A's with anyone and everyone. I almost feel sorry for Phog being a fan of a team that can't even generate a decent headline. I need to go and take a shower, I feel dirty after being on the MU website.

jhawk38 16 years, 3 months ago

I can't believe what I am reading. Strong, loyal and faithful Jayhawk fans are actually letting some dull normal "Misery" fan upset them with their inane comments. Haven't you all figured out yet this is exactly the reaction they are hoping for? The only way to deal with pathetic losers like this is to completely and totally IGNORE them! Get smart, folks!

cklarock 16 years, 3 months ago

I think we should cut Phog some slack.

Not only are the Tigers going to get pounded by Kansas for the next few years, but they're going to have to lose to K-State as well. And even worse, now that there looks to be a good in-state program for Kansas fans to have fun hating, I think Missouri is afraid that we're going to start giving their sad program the yawn it deserves.

It's a tough time to be a Tiger, and maybe what Phog needs is a hug (and to get the rest of his false teeth out of the pawn shop).

BuckTurgidson 16 years, 3 months ago

Questions for 'phog'--

1.) Please tell all of us of your favorite memory you, as an MU fan, took away from watching your team in the NCAA Tournament in the last three years.

2.) Which one of your team's 1st round losses in the NIT (in '04 and '05) were the most gratifying for you, and why?

3.) What's it like to have your team ignored by both the NCAA Tournament AND NIT selection committee in the same year? Would it be:

a. Totally embarrassing b. Abjectly humiliating c. Completely ignominious d. Thoroughly mortifying e. All the above

4.) How relieved were you when your team narrowly avoided being accorded the singular honor of finishing in last place in the Big XII this past season?

5.) What was worse for you and all MU fans:

a. Finishing in 11th place in the Conference. b. Finishing in 11th place in the Conference while watching KU take first place and win the post-season tournament, as well?

Thanks.

phag 16 years, 3 months ago

phog can we hold hands at the Final Four game?

frompekka2sasha 16 years, 3 months ago

This was a great article by Keegan. I'm excited to see him play next year and he should be pretty solid by the end of they year.

b_asinbeer 16 years, 3 months ago

"On another note.... why do any of you even acknowledge the one idiot who posts on this board? You ask for it when you keep responding to him."

Very true.

WrightOn30 16 years, 3 months ago

Haha, gl0ck0wnr- remember, we got rid of J.R. Giddens- very funny though, good comment.

Rock_Chalker 16 years, 3 months ago

I am really pumped about next year. I really hope all these guys will gel together. I can't wait to see KU and Florida play. Its going to be a great year!

Huskerhawk 16 years, 3 months ago

Phog's comments really don't bother me at all. I find the banter amusing keep it coming Phog. I can hardly wait for next year! Go Hawks!

actorman 16 years, 3 months ago

I think in his future posts he should be dubbed phoggot

It's a shame, gojhawx, that you had to wreck an otherwise good comment by showing that you're just as ignorant as Phog is.

hewn 16 years, 3 months ago

Agreed. gojhawx was spot on with his heckler analogy. The only difference is that we don't have to listen to phog the whole game. He's definitely good for a few laughs. It makes me smile when people try that hard to bring me down - it's so transparent.

markojay25 16 years, 3 months ago

ISNT IT GREAT BEING A JAYHAWKS FAN...I CANT WAIT FOR THE BASKETBALL SEASON TO START!! ROCK CHALK EVERYBODY!!!!

Mr_Sandman 16 years, 3 months ago

Without guys like Phog it wouldn't be as easy to hate Mizzou. He is a constant reminder of why there is a Border War and why KU will always be the better school. Keep it coming Phog, guys like you keep rivalries interesting.