Kentucky first, Kansas fifth in Associated Press Top 25 preseason poll

The Kansas University basketball team does not have a single returning starter and half of the 12 scholarship players eligible this season are freshmen, but that didn’t keep the national media from ranking the Jayhawks fifth in the Associated Press preseason college basketball poll.

Kentucky edged Michigan State for the No. 1 spot. Louisville is third and Duke fourth.

Kentucky, which lost in the first round of the NIT to Robert Morris a year ago, received 27 of the 65 first-place votes and 1,546 points. Michigan State earned 22 first-place votes and 1,543 points. Louisville was ranked first on 14 ballots and Duke was No. 1 on two ballots.

Oklahoma State is tied for ninth with Syracuse and Baylor is 25th. Wichita State, with most of its players back from last season's surprise Final Four team, is ranked 16th.

Now, more than at any time in college basketball because of the one-and-done rule, the preseason ballot is the toughest one to fill out and involves so much guessing.

I put Kansas ninth on my AP ballot, based on the Jayhawks’ lack of experience, and had Kentucky sixth for the same reason.

The Preseason Top Twenty Five The Associated Press The top 25 teams in The Associated Press’ preseason college basketball poll, with first-place votes in parentheses, 2012-13 final records, total points based on 25 points for a first-place vote through one point for a 25th-place vote and 2012-13 final ranking:

1. Kentucky (27) 1,546; 2. Michigan St. (22) 1,543; 3. Louisville (14) 1,501; 4. Duke (2) 1,435; 5. Kansas 1,357; 6. Arizona 1,311; 7. Michigan 1,120; 8t. Oklahoma St. 1,093; 8t. Syracuse 1,093; 10. Florida 1,048; 11. Ohio State 1,036; 12. North Carolina 954; 13. Memphis 741; 14. VCU 680; 15. Gonzaga 538; 16. Wichita State 512; 17. Marquette 510; 18. UConn 448; 19. Oregon 408; 20. Wisconsin 338; 21. Notre Dame 332; 22. UCLA 244; 23. New Mexico 213; 24. Virginia 189; 25. Baylor 180.

Others receiving votes: Tennessee 176, Creighton 145, Indiana 111, Colorado 83, Iowa 83, Harvard 46, Boise St. 22, Villanova 14, Arizona St. 11, Georgetown 11, UNLV 8, Washington 8, LSU 6, Pittsburgh 6, Stanford 6, Boston College 5, La Salle 4, Missouri 3, Saint Louis 3, St. John’s 3, Cincinnati 1.

My ballot:

20. Gonzaga
  21. Wisconsin
  22. Georgetown
  23. UCLA
  24. Creighton
  25. St. John’s

Comments

Waylon Cook 7 years, 2 months ago

Did UK start super high last year also?

Tom Keegan 7 years, 2 months ago

Great question and the answer is yes. The preseason top 10 from a year ago: 1. Indiana; 2. Louisville; 3. Kentucky; 4. Ohio State; 5. Michigan; 6. North Carolina State; 7. Kansas; 8. Duke; 9. Syracuse; 10. Florida.

I'd rather let teams as young as Kansas and Kentucky show they have come together a little before putting them in the top five.

Mike Barnhart 7 years, 2 months ago

With the exception of NC State, nailed it!

Ryan Houston 7 years, 2 months ago

Those top 10 Ap rankings could change in a couple weeks. If Kansas beats Dukes, and Michigan State beats Kentucky. I am going to go ahead and say Michigan State beats Kentucky.

Glen Miller 7 years, 2 months ago

I always thought preseason rankings were pointless. They should wait until after the second week of games at minimum to rank teams. I think Kentucky is number 1 on potential... they haven't even stepped on the floor yet. Too high of a ranking. I also think KU is ranked too high (Yes I'm a a KU fan through and through, but I'm a realistic one). Both of these teams have a lot of unknowns heading into the season. Michigan State, Louisville, Oklahoma State, Duke and a few others should all be ranked ahead of both Kentucky and ourselves if they absolutely have to do a preseason ranking.

That being said, I do believe that come January and February.... Kansas and Kentucky will most likely be the top 2 teams with Louisville, Michigan State and Duke close behind. Oklahoma State to me is doomed by the coach that they have. Ford hasn't really done much with the talent he's brought in when it comes tournament time. It will be fun to watch!!! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

Jack Jones 7 years, 2 months ago

Agree with your thinking ~ The lack of experience factor leaves some large question marks in terms of "who?, when?" ~ becoming a team that knows just how talented they are ~ as a team. Fortunately, there is no one better, it would seem, than Coach Self in building a team that improves as well as ~ (no, make that) more than, our Jayhawks.

Teejay Roden 7 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Keegan. Last year's champ should start out at number one, at least in the majority of cases.

Ryan Houston 7 years, 2 months ago

I guess but every team in the top 5 has a coach who has won a National Championship. The difference right now between 1 and 10 is very small.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 2 months ago

Kansas deserves a higher ranking than #5, certainly with Wiggins on our roster. Kentucky should not be ranked #1, or even in the Top 10, since they couldn't even beat Robert Morris in the NIT.

Lonnie Ross Dillon 7 years, 2 months ago

Really? You say we should be higher based on current players, yet slam Kentucky based on last year's players.

Jonny Swift 7 years, 2 months ago

Ya that logic really doesn't make any sense. Kentucky is going to have a brand new roster this year, so the guys that lost to Robert Morris don't really matter. Similar to how Wiggins is new to KU this year and we're not ranking the Jayhawks based on how Withey, Releford, etc. got to the Sweet 16.

Evan Bilyeu 7 years, 2 months ago

No, no, no, no, no. Kansas is a very young team and I thought the number 5 spot was quite generous. Kentucky has a ton of talent on this team coming in one of the greatest recruiting classes. I hate Kentucky but they definitely deserve to be on top ten.

Chandler James 7 years, 2 months ago

I like the ratings Tom. But why do you have WSU so low? They have a lot of returning players and a great coach from a final four team. I get that last years run was an underdog story... but still

Steve Williams 7 years, 2 months ago

u know what,, fck kentucky, Pretty sure Johnny C is a giant MO anyway

Greg Lux 7 years, 2 months ago

The way KU played it's first X game I would say 9 might be high, but I also saw the nerves out there and I assume that will change next game and by the season opener we will be a lot better. KU at 9 is probably about right. We have not proved anything yet. Yes we are going to be good, very very good but a pool should reflect the current status of a team and KU is currently very very young.

Rock Chalk

Joe Ross 7 years, 2 months ago

I even think 9 is generous...right NOW. If it were me, Id put them in the top 15. There are at least that many teams who could lace up and beat Kansas 2 out of 3 at this point in the season. Of course Kansas will learn as they go, and given the level of talent and coaching on this team, they won't remain as they are for long. I look for a major push in January, just in time for conference play. I see the Hawks winning another league title and making a Final Four appearance, but the learning curve will be steep in the early going.

Erich Hartmann 7 years, 2 months ago

Good point by Greg above: KU "nerves" on display from every KU player except for Ellis, Tharpe, and AWIII. I wonder how Kentucky's 1st game went? Anybody see it? Nice to see WichitaSt with a top20 team also.

Paul Laskowski 7 years, 2 months ago

So the point of a preseason poll is not judge where we think these teams will be in two weeks or even two months. Its to guess how we think the season will end. In which case i think these rankings are more accurate. More than likely they will fluctuate with inexperienced younger teams dropping and then rising later in the year.