Saturday, September 14, 2019

Jayhawks ride with Carter Stanley and offense takes off

(Boston, MA, 09/13/19) Kansas Jayhawks quarterback Carter Stanley (9) celebrates a touchdown against the Boston College Eagles during the first half of an NCAA football game at Boston College in Boston, Mass., on Friday, September 13, 2019.

Chestnut Hill, Mass. — Les Miles, fresh off coaching his Kansas football team to a Friday night upset over Boston College at Alumni Stadium, had a confession to make.

“You know I definitely violated an NCAA rule,” Miles began in jest, following the Jayhawks’ 48-24 road victory. “I just want to come clean. I told the whole team that after we won we would park the plane someplace here in Boston and go out on the town. I might not be able to come through with that. So I don’t know quite where that sits.”

The playful reveal, though more of an FAA breach, wasn’t a joke. Well, at least the part about him making that promise to the Jayhawks wasn’t, as they somehow recovered from an unsettling home loss to Coastal Carolina.

“He’s been talking about that all week,” receiver Andrew Parchment said after his two-touchdown contribution to his coach’s fictional plans. “I don’t know what’s in Boston for him, but I guess we’ll have to go find out.”

The Jayhawks (2-1) spent most of their nonconference finale flying high, thanks to senior quarterback Carter Stanley, who literally took off at one point and improbably bounced back from back-to-back weeks of multiple turnovers, compounded by an early interception at BC (2-1) that seemed to hint more of the same was on the way.

Only two snaps into his night, Stanley lost control of the ball as he spotted Parchment open and BC’s Mehdi El Attrach picked it off.

As Stanley, who had just been credited with his fifth turnover of the young season, headed to the sideline, plenty of Jayhawks gave him a pat on the back. It was redshirt sophomore safety Davon Ferguson, though, that left an impression.

“We’re riding with you,” Ferguson told the QB who had struggled versus CCU six days earlier. “You’re good. Trust me, we’re with you.”

Added Stanley: “That meant a lot to me.”

The effect wasn’t instantaneous — KU had to punt on its second possession, already trailing 10-0. But Stanley officially put the interception behind him when he concluded KU’s third series by hitting tight end Jack Luavasa for a 19-yard TD that put the visitors, a three-TD underdog, right back in the game.

That’s when Stanley took a deep breath and realized, “We can move the ball against these guys.”

That the Jayhawks did. Once Stanley and the offense got rolling — Khalil Herbert rushed for 187 yards, Pooka Williams Jr. added 121 and Andrew Parchment hit triple digits with 100 receiving yards — there was no looking back as the group achieved a level of success that had eluded it the first two weeks of Miles’ tenure.

The same offense that only scored three touchdowns combined against Indiana State and CCU dissected the Eagles to the tune of four TD drives in a row before halftime, with Stanley picking BC apart through the air and Herbert and Williams confounding the home team on the ground.

Stanley finished the victory 20-for-27 passing with 238 yards.

“I try to always hold that confidence. With just the combination of belief, confidence and results in that game, that was probably the best I’ve felt in a Kansas jersey,” he said.

During one game-swinging drive late in the second quarter, Stanley soared over a defensive back on a run, lowered his shoulder into a much larger linebacker on another and capped the drive with a pinpoint TD pass to Parchment, with a flight path over two defenders and into his target’s hands.

“I never knew Carter had those type of wheels,” a smiling Parchment said after catching eight passes, two for TDs. “I’m just happy the way he bounced back after the first drive and was able to lead us. He’s our leader, and we lean on him on big-time plays like that.”

Apparently Stanley was destined to take off and show off his leaping ability.

“It was just preparation. Watching a lot of film and just visualizing their defense and our plays. I’m not kidding when I say I dreamed about that moment,” Stanley said of leapfrogging safety El Attrach in the open field. “It was literally on the left hash, as well, in my dream. I’m just so proud of our team and how we went out. I was telling our guys, 'That’s the team that we are. That’s who we are. That’s who I saw in fall camp.’ That was a complete game. Offense, defense and special teams. And I can’t be more proud of this program.”

As Stanley referenced, the defense controlled BC throughout the second half, shutting out the Eagles on their final seven possessions.

Said linebacker Dru Prox, who finished with 10 tackles: “Really our mindset coming back out in the second half was we’ve got to play harder than we did the first half so we could have a really big win. We wanted to beat them — but we really wanted to dominate them. Just to show that we’re really a physical team and we can be a physical team whenever we need to be.”

Miles has referenced the importance of physicality since the spring of his first year in charge. And he liked seeing some of that out of KU’s quarterback, too.

“It shows everyone that he cares as much as they do,” Miles said of Stanley’s willingness to lower his shoulder or block a defender on a play for a running back. “Putting your body at risk for your teammates, they recognize that.”

And is Miles OK with his starting QB getting into all those hazardous predicaments?

“There’s some things I’d probably like to take back. Like the jump over the top of the guy? We need to give him kind of a height range,” Miles said, “for if he’s allowed to jump over them or not. Like 4-foot-8 kind of guy.”

It didn’t seem anyone was stopping Stanley at BC — not even Stanley. The early interception was long forgotten by all by the end of the night.

Herbert, a senior running back whose 82-yard blow to the BC defense seemed to break the Eagles, credited Stanley for his ability to move past one bad play and respond with a memorable night for the entire program.

“That’s 9. Just poised. Confidence. Swagger,” Herbert said. “He made a mistake. Didn’t pout about it, didn’t cry, just went back out there and went and made some plays.”

Behind KU’s 567 yards of total offense and the defense’s ability to get off the field and keep BC out of the end zone late, the Jayhawks beat a Power Five team on the road for the first time since a 2008 win at Iowa State.

“Those things are going to happen more regularly to our program at a great school like Kansas,” a pleased Miles predicted after the win in his team’s nonconference finale. “Can’t tell you how happy I am for those kids.

“If anybody wants to know why a guy would come back to college football, this night tells you how fun, how important college football is."

KU hosts West Virginia on Sept. 21 at David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium.

SCORING SUMMARY

FIRST QUARTER

12:41 — A.J. Dillon 2 run. Aaron Boumerhi kick. Seven-play drive for 75 yards, in 2:19. (BC 7, KU 0.)

11:09 — Boumerhi 40 field goal. Four-play drive for 4 yards, in 0:43. (BC 10, KU 0.)

3:27 — Jack Luavasa 19 pass from Carter Stanley. Liam Jones kick. Eight-play drive for 78 yards, in 3:54. (BC 10, KU 7.)

0:17 — Korab Idrizi 20 pass from Anthony Brown. Boumerhi kick. Ten-play drive for 73 yards, in 3:05. (BC 17, KU 7.)

SECOND QUARTER

14:19 — Hudson Hall 1 run. Jones kick. Three-play drive for 48 yards, in 0:50. (BC 17, KU 14.)

3:41 — Andrew Parchment 4 pass from Stanley. Jones kick. Eleven-play drive for 81 yards in 5:15. (KU 21, BC 17.)

0:45 — Brown 12 pass from C.J. Lewis. Boumerhi kick. Eight-play drive for 72 yards, in 2:48. (BC 24, KU 21.)

0:05 — Parchment 3 pass from Stanley. Jones kick. Four-play drive for 85 yards, in 0:35. (KU 28, BC 24.)

THIRD QUARTER

10:24 — Jones 24 field goal. Twelve-play drive for 69 yards, in 4:32. (KU 31, BC 24.)

5:25 — Pooka Williams 12 run. Jones kick. Eight-play drive for 87 yards, in 3:12. (KU 38, BC 24.)

0:35 — Jones 30 field goal. Nine-play drive for 60 yards, in 3:57. (KU 41, BC 24.)

FOURTH QUARTER

5:44 — Khalil Herbert 6 run. Jones kick. One-play drive for 6 yards in 0:06. (KU 48, BC 24.)

Comments

David Kelley-Wood 9 months, 4 weeks ago

If this is a dream, I don't want to wake up. Rock Chalk!

Brett McCabe 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Congrats to Miles, Koenning and Stanley on persevering. Great Job!

Ed Noyes 9 months, 4 weeks ago

I transferred to KU in January of 1966 and have seen many marvelous athletic moments. This win ranks right up there. I thought we were helpless, down 0-10 and then the "light came on". Really proud time to be an alumnus. RCJHKU!!

Brian Wilson 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Wow!! I will watch this one again.
Carter finally decides to hold the ball and run when there's double coverage. That adds a whole new dimension to the offense.If he plays smart and this keeps up, and he keeps the turnovers down..KU can win some games.

It looks like the OL has begun to have trust in one another. We spread the line a little creating more space and just trusting each other allows focus. Good job on the OL.

DaNeille Dani Davis 9 months, 4 weeks ago

OMG! What a game! I had to listen to it on the TuneIn app. Is there anyway to watch this game on a replay? I would love to see this game. So proud and happy for The Jayhawks. This was a great win for them and the program. Congratulations to all! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

David Kelley-Wood 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Same here. You may have seen this by now, but if not, here's the link to the Big 12's condensed replay. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii9-JSewcMM

Stuart Corder 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Our Jayhawks finally looked like an honest to goodness Big XII football team last night. The OL looked like a cohesive unit which finally allowed QB Stanley to put the pieces together and get the ball to our receivers, which opened the gates for Pooka to finish strong.

Despite a disappointing loss to Coastal Carolina, KU is sitting 2 - 1 and unquestionably trending upward. That coastal Carolina loss really hurts the bowling chances, BUT with WVU, TCU, TTech, KState, Baylor and Iowa State all particularly vulnerable this season, I think chasing a bowl invitation is not a crazy goal - especially if we start conference play strong with wins against WVU and TCU.

Was it a Friday the 13th full moon anomaly, or has Les Miles finally instilled some confidence and pride in our young men?

I think it’s Les Miles and that our Jayhawks will only continue to improve and raise expectations.

Ryan Mullen 9 months, 4 weeks ago

I couldn't go to sleep last night, because I just couldn't believe it. This was one of the best feelings I have had as a Jayhawk fan! I have been with team every year, and this feels so good for a change.

Eliott Reeder 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Miles sticking with Stanley after that INT on the second play of the game was the vote of confidence this kid needed to thrive. I’ll admit I was definitely thinking “Might be time to give MacVittie a shot” after that, but Miles knew best! Gonna savor this one all through the week and look forward to doing the same thing to WVU next Saturday afternoon in lovely Lawrence Kansas!!!!

Joe Ross 9 months, 4 weeks ago

I bet ain't nobody seen any parts of Bryce...the Iowa fan.

Matt Gauntt 9 months, 4 weeks ago

I'll definitely be cheering for Iowa State.

Bryce Landon 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Sorry to break your heart - oh wait, no, I'm not! - but Iowa defeated Iowa State 18-17!

OnIowa #SorryNotSorry

Joe Ross 9 months, 4 weeks ago

The name Bryce Landon and the person to whom it applies are now henceforth and forevermore deemed unworthy to be associated with the names/terms "Kansas", "Kansas fan", "Jayhawk", "University of Kansas", "Lawrence" and "honorable".

Please instead make reference to his specter as "traitor", "Mizzou-worthy", "undeserving", and all such language which embodies a false pretense of fanhood scrupulously recognized as counterfeit.

Persona non grata.

Bryce Landon 9 months, 4 weeks ago

I was gonna be nice and let you savor your little victory. But since you called me out, let me say this:

Even when your team wins, you still can't help but think about me. You're so jealous of the fact that I root for a football program that is vastly superior to yours that you can't help but resent me. I may live in southeast Iowa, but I'm obviously in your head and under your skin. I'm in your head so much, the city of Lawrence wants to charge me property tax.

On the flip side, I don't think about you at all, Joe. I don't wake up in the morning and think to myself, "Man, I wonder what Joe is up to today." You know why? Because I don't give a damn. What you do with your time means nothing to me.

Go ahead and enjoy your win over a middling Boston College team. Savor it all you can, because it will be the one highlight of another 3-9 season full of blowout losses to fellow Big 12 teams. And keep being jealous of me; it only further validates my choice to root for Iowa during football season.

ON IOWA!

Joe Ross 9 months, 4 weeks ago

I don't give a damn that you don't give a damn. And you only stand out and come to mind for your fairweather fan status.

No one is jealous of you, Bryce. But live in your little dream world.

And savor "...YOUR little victory"? Thanks for making it clear that you want no part of it. But why are you here reading the comments, then? And not just reading the comments, but making your own? You have some cognitive dissonance going on if you are trying to project that you have no interest in this win. But you're going to be a bona fide case of the Little Red Hen's friends...none of whom wanted to do the hard work, but enjoying in the feast when the finished product arrives. Only you won't be allowed any part of it.

And furthermore...YOU'RE NO JAYHAWK. Truth is you're no Iowa fan. Your fanhood is too watered down, like kool-aid with no sugar. An engine with no spark plugs. Nobody wants you. You're useless here.

..."jealous". LOL!

Micky Baker 9 months, 4 weeks ago

The way KU played last night, they would have rolled Iowa too. Joe isn't your friend, and neither isanyone else here so he doesn't care about you or if you don't give a damn. Why do you even post here?

Dane Pratt 9 months, 4 weeks ago

That's what trolls do but I think Bryce is a closet KU fan. If he was really indifferent to KU football he wouldn't be here every week.

Matt Gauntt 9 months, 4 weeks ago

We aren't really concerned about you, Bryce

You're more like having jock-itch. No matter how much you want it to go away, no matter how it is irritating, no matter how much you don't want to pay attention to it, it's like a nagging problem until you can put enough ointment on it and hope that it never returns.

Randy Bombardier 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Joe. It's only going to get better and better. Sweeter and sweeter. The fact that he's still checking out the LJW shows something. Unless of course he's a closet Texas fan.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Thank you David Kelley-Wood for the YouTube link! That was perfect.