Originally published February 23, 2018 at 07:36p.m., updated February 23, 2018 at 07:36p.m.

Josh Jackson’s mother, Apples Jones, denies accepting payments from agent

Josh Jackson's mother, Apples Jones, makes some video of her son during drills at Bill Self's basketball camp on Tuesday, June 7, 2016.

Lubbock, Texas — Apples Jones, mother of former Kansas basketball star Josh Jackson, said she received a phone call from a family member Friday and was told to turn on the TV to see herself.

“Why am I on TV?” Jones said she asked.

When she was told that her name had surfaced in a Yahoo report on the college basketball scandal related to agent Andy Miller and that she reportedly had received $2,700 from ASM Sports she turned on the TV.

“They said I was on TV,” Jones told the Journal-World by phone Friday evening. “I’ve been watching and I still haven’t seen myself.”

She said she did not receive payments from the agency, Miller or his associate, Christian Dawkins.

“Not true,” Jones said. “I don’t even know why I was mentioned. I don’t know why my name was brought up. Not true at all.”

Jones said she and her son know Dawkins from Josh’s time playing for his AAU program in his early high school years, but had not been in touch with him since he went to work for ASM Sports, Andy Miller’s agency.

“I don’t even know Andy Miller,” Jones said. “After I got that call I had to go and Google him. I’m like, ‘I never met you. I never talked to you.’ I didn’t even know what he looked like.”

Of Dawkins, Jones said, “I never took anything from Christian Dawkins. Christian Dawkins never offered us anything. Back during the time we knew Christian Dawkins he had nothing to do with any agent business. He was the director of Dorian’s Pride (AAU program).”

Jackson left Dawkins’ AAU program to play for 1 Nation, an Under Armour-sponsored AAU program in Michigan for which Jones is the director.

“I started it to protect my son because he was a high-profile player and didn’t want anyone trying to get him involved in some of the stuff going on out there,” Jones said. “I started it protect my son and help other kids.”

Jackson is represented by agent B.J. Armstrong, a former teammate of Michael Jordan’s with the Chicago Bulls.

Jones explained how she went about helping her son to select an agent.

“I didn’t even talk to agents. I created an email and I made them email about whatever their company was, what were they trying to do, what was their interest, and I told them I would email back whether I’m interested or I’m not interested,” Jones said. “And that’s what I tell other parents to do. That’s the best way because then everything is documented. That way you don’t have to go around listening to what people say because you’re not going to remember it anyway.”

Asked if she had called Kansas coach Bill Self after hearing about the report, Jones said she had not.

“Coach Self knows, coach Self definitely knows my kid coming to Kansas wasn’t anything dirty,” Jones said. “Everything was straight and on the up and up. He knew what I wanted and every coach knew what I wanted: A lifetime scholarship, and if my son needed tutors, ones would be provided, and he must pass every class. And you must treat my son as if he is your own. And you must introduce him to an internship. Those were my requirements. Josh told me he wanted to go to Kansas and I said, ‘OK, because I know they care about you.’ ”

Comments

Barry Weiss 9 months, 2 weeks ago

she sounds like a legit, admirable, stand up mom! Good for you Apple!

Suzi Marshall 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I've always loved Apples. Her body language in that picture with Josh walking out of the court house speaks volumes. I'm highly inclined to believe she is a hard nosed straight shooter that's not going to take any BS from anyone....even from her son.

Dirk Medema 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Quite the contrast to wiretaps of HC's discussing 6 figure payments to top recruits. Glad DA didn't come to KU and maybe now we know why.

Pius Waldman 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Maybe DA wouldn't have the problem he has now if he went to another school like KU. I remember his decision was a late change as other schools were favored.

Bryce Landon 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Who names their daughter "Apples"? O.o

On a more serious note, the important thing here is whether or not Josh Jackson or KU knew about this. Knowing Bill Self the way we know him, if he thought there was an issue with Josh Jackson's eligibility, he would have held him out like he did with Cliff Alexander, Cheick Diallo, and Billy Preston. Self is not the type to knowingly put his team in jeopardy of vacating wins.

Yonatan Negash 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Wonder if Josh took the money and had his mom's name listed on the document

Josh accepts a loan for $1700.00 plus a $1000.00 interest/fee = $2700.00 to be paid back from future earnings

Hoping for the best outcome but prepared for the worse.

Ben Kane 9 months, 2 weeks ago

seems like the ncaa has no ability to regulate their multi-billion dollar business. perhaps this will lead to the death penalty for the ncaa and some sort of compensation for players.

Allan Olson 9 months, 2 weeks ago

How can any association regulate a nation of 300,000,000 people? Hire 300,000,000 Chinese to shadow them all, 24/7? This is simply a tempest in a teapot! I say MS. APPLES has her head on straight, and had seen plenty from her son's hanger-ons for years.

Marius Rowlanski 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Josh Jackson was going to be a millionaire a year after playing one season at Kansas. Just how much influence does $2700 buy from a player who was guaranteed $10 million for just his first 2 seasons alone.

Lance Hobson 9 months, 2 weeks ago

That’s encouraging. This is so minor compared to Arizona. The wedge factor works!

Joe Ross 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Guilty or innocent, if I were Apples Jones I'd stay off the phone. The FBI is listening.

Harlan Hobbs 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I can't imagine that Apples is not telling the truth. If she isn't, she would be setting herself up for a big fall.

By comparison, from day 1, Sean Miller here in Arizona was silent and refused to address the situation. To me, his silence was very instructive. They have a quagmire here at U of A given this basketball scandal and the football scandal that led to the firing of Rich Rodriguez.

My bet is that Sean Miller is now a short-termer, and Deandre Ayton's college days are over. Of course, he will make millions in the pros, so he will come out of it all right.

Joe Ross 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Lots to be sorted out here, but because this is now a Federal investigation, I actually worry about Deandre Ayton's freedom. The allegations involve felony charges. Ayton was 18 when he committed to Arizona, an adult. He may have been a minor, however, when bribes were accepted. Only the FBI knows that information. Minors can be charged and convicted of felonies, but usually the sentencing is adjusted to reflect their status as minors. Either way, this is not the run-of-the-mill scandal in college basketball where the NCAA is the sole arbiter of punishment. The FBI and the Department of Justice will have a say in the matter involving Ayton. Scary stuff.