Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Prep kicker Liam Jones commits to Kansas

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

In Lawrence to watch football practice a few days after learning Kansas had interest in adding him to the program, kicker Liam Jones didn’t waste any further time contemplating his decision.

The Chocktaw High (Okla.) senior told David Beaty and his staff in person he accepted the opportunity, prompting Jones to tweet out the news later in the evening.

“Today I verbally committed on full scholarship to Kansas University,” he announced on Twitter, complete with a photo of the specialist and the Jayhawks’ head coach.

Jones first landed on KU’s radar during a satellite camp in his home state earlier this summer. There, the specialist shared with Jayhawk Slant, he got to kick under the watchful eyes of KU special teams coordinator Joe DeForest.

Last week, Jones spoke with DeForest on the phone and learned KU wanted to offer the Class of 2017 prospect a spot.

“I have faith in my hard work and that it would soon pay off,” Jones told Jayhawk Slant prior to committing. “… When coach DeForest told me he was going to offer me I felt really blessed. It is one of the best feelings I’ve ever had.”

While the kicker took his time and visited campus before making anything final, the decision seemed to be an easy one for Jones, who told Jayhawk Slant he has always watched KU games and been a fan of the program.

According to ChrisSailerKicking.com, a site that ranks prep specialists, Jones, a 5-foot-10 left-footed kicker, is a five-star prospect.

None by Liam Jones

Comments

Jim Stauffer 3 years, 3 months ago

Is a five star kicker a 5 star in the same sense as all other players?

Jonathan Briles 3 years, 3 months ago

No. Usually the highest star rating a kicker gets is 3. And they don't give out many of those. He got 5 from a site that rates kickers only. He is a very high caliber kicker, but more in the 2 to 3 star range on a site like rivals. All that being said, I'm ecstatic about this commitment. Our team and team confidence is very fragile and nothing kills momentum like a great drive ending in a missed FG or extra point. This kid can end that. Very big commitment and another sign that Beaty is making real strides in turning things around. Slow and steady.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 3 months ago

When I was on the Hill I think a dude that size would have been a d-lineman!

Matt Schierlman 3 years, 3 months ago

The website ChrisSailerKicking.com shows 334 ranked kickers for the class of 2017, the top 33 being classified as 5-star kickers. Jones is ranked 15th. The site shows the top 5 are committed to Alabama, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Minnesota, and Tennessee, respectively.

Not sure how the site is determining the star rating, but looks like a good prospect nonetheless. I've also read in various places that he does it all too (kick-offs, on-sides, short/long field goals, punts).

Dirk Medema 3 years, 3 months ago

He might eventually do all 3, but that's usually a really big load for D1, It is good to know that he is at least versatile.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 3 months ago

DeForest earns his keep. He's had real good success with kickers in the past.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 3 years, 3 months ago

I hope this is our guy for the next four years.

Kevin Robert Fest 3 years, 3 months ago

After watching our kickers the last couple years this is some good news we could have won a couple of games last year or at least been within one score (td or fg)in the 4th qtr except for some key misses on extra points and field goals so this should really help us staying in close games or having a chance to tie or win in games in the waning seconds

Micky Baker 3 years, 3 months ago

I hope that he just focuses on place kicking including field goals. If he can add 9 points a game on his leg, he'll make a big impact on this program's rebuilding. I'll be okay if he can punt well too, but that is going to stretch him out so thin in the limited number of practice hours with coaches once he is on campus.

Jack Mumford 3 years, 3 months ago

A sailer 5 star Punter is already onboard. Thompson. Sounds like Special teams is shaping up.