Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Self offers Miege duo

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self has offered a scholarship to Bishop Miege freshman Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, the son of former KU player Lester Earl, Rivals.com’s Eric Bossi reported Tuesday.

Robinson-Earl, a 6-foot-8, 190-pound forward, scored 16 points in Miege’s 69-59 Class 4A Div. I state-title victory over McPherson in March in Salina. Miege, a Roeland Park school coached by Rick Zych, finished with a 22-3 record.

Miege’s Bol Bol, the son of the late Manute Bol, also has received a scholarship offer from KU. The 6-foot-11 sophomore scored 14 points in the state-title game.

“Robinson has a chance to be a nationally elite prospect and reminds me a lot of Perry Ellis at the same age,” Bossi writes, noting Creighton has offered and Kentucky, North Carolina and Iowa “have all reached out.”

Thornton talks to Miami: Freshman point guard Derryck Thornton, who is leaving Duke after one season, met with Miami coach Jim Larranaga on Tuesday in Durham, N.C., according to the Palm Beach Post. Thornton, 6-2 from Chatsworth, Calif., met with KU coach Self on Monday. He also is considering USC and others. Thornton averaged 7.1 points and 2.6 assists while logging 26 minutes a game in Duke’s 36 games.

Allen update: Self reportedly visited with Jarrett Allen, a 6-10 senior forward from St. Stephens Episcopal School in Austin, Texas, on Tuesday night. KU, Texas and Houston have been mentioned the most in the recruitment of Allen, ranked No. 20 nationally in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.com. Today, Rivals.com’s Bossi says Self will visit Chuma Okeke, a 6-7 junior forward from Westlake High in Atlanta who is ranked No. 62 in the Class of 2017 by Rivals.com.

KU women add transfer: KU’s women’s basketball program reportedly has added a graduate transfer in Virginia’s Sydney Umeri, a 6-foot-1 senior-to-be forward from Acworth, Calif. The news was reported by Brandon Clay of peachstatebasketball.com on Twitter. His Tweet was re-Tweeted by Umeri, who averaged 2.3 points and 3.4 boards a game in 34 games (29 starts) a year ago.

As a graduate transfer, she will be immediately eligible at KU. Virginia went 18-16 a year ago, KU 6-25. Former North Carolina player Jessica Washington (5-8 junior) and ex-USC player McKenzie Calvert (5-9 sophomore) will also be eligible in 2016-17 after sitting out this past season after transferring to KU.

Lauren Aldridge, a 5-7 sophomore guard from Marshfield, Mo., recently announced plans to transfer from KU to Missouri.

Wiggins backs interim: Former KU guard Andrew Wiggins tells the Minneapolis Star-Tribune he would like interim coach Sam Mitchell back next season.

“Definitely,” Wiggins said. “I talked with him the most out of all the assistants. And this year he was the head coach (after death of Flip Saunders in October) so I already had that relationship with him. So it’s good.”

Former KU guard Milt Newton will remain general manager at least for now, the Minnesota Associated Press reports.

“For him, it would be tough for me to evaluate him fully because he has not had the opportunity to go through the draft and free agency,” team owner Glen Taylor said of Newton in an interview with the AP. “I have to let him do that in order to have a chance to give him a full evaluation. I want to see him do the work and see how he goes about using all the tools available to him.”

Newton, according to the AP, “worked hand-in-hand with Saunders to reshape the Timberwolves roster, trading Kevin Love for a package including Andrew Wiggins, drafting Karl-Anthony Towns and bringing in veterans like Kevin Garnett, Tayshaun Prince and Andre Miller in to mentor Wiggins, Towns, Zach LaVine and Shabazz Muhammad.”

Comments

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 6 months ago

Lester Earl's boy! OK, this is one of those feeling old articles. Wasn't it Lester Earl that gave Wilt the finger point after a dunk during the Wilt Chamberlain game, what seemed to be only a few years ago? If Jeremiah and Bol have a fraction of the game their dad's had, Miege must be be in the running for best HS basketball team in America.

Swimming out from all the rain we've had in the Houston area has be made a lot more tolerable listening to all the UT and UH Alums worry over Bill Self recruiting Allen away. It's still a long shot for Self but well worth witnessing the misery he's putting the very few UT BBall fans through.

I hope Milt can hang on with MN. They are going to have a powerhouse team with Wiggins and Towns to build around.

RJ King 1 year, 6 months ago

Could be. Lester seemed to play with a chip on his shoulder, and the heralded LSU transfer kind of sputtered over the next few years. He has had a mixed bag of successes and speed bumps - even road blocks over the past nearly 20 years.

I hope his son has found B. Miege to be a comfortable place. Sounds like he has had much success in his early basketball career so far. Interesting prospect.

Shannon Gustafson 1 year, 6 months ago

I would say Bol has a much more balanced and impressive game than his dad. His videos make him look 8' tall he's so skinny but it's crazy to see a nearly 7' kid play the 3 spot, shooting 3's, driving from the arc, making step back jumpers, crossing over people, getting out on fast breaks, etc...and he's a Sophomore!

They say he's projected to be 7'4-7'6 by the time he's done growing.

Freddie Garza 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh, you're in Houston too, huh? Pretty crazy down here, isn't it?

Anyhoo, I remember watching Manute Bol as a kid, and every time I did I felt like he was always on the verge of being snapped in half like a twig. I don't remember him being all that great a player, aside from being a rim protector at 7'6".

Based on what I've heard, his son has a much more rounded game than his dad did, though that doesn't necessarily make him an NBA prospect. Could be a really good player at the college level at least, though. We shall see.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 6 months ago

I wonder if he is selling Allen on the possibility of competing for the #2 PF spot probably behind Bragg with the first slot opening next year - assuming a break out year for Carlton, and that he follows a trajectory similar to CB. There's plenty of beef in the middle with Lucas, Coleby, and Uz, but it would be nice to have that more versatile PF that the others don't really fit. At 20, he's not likely a 1-n-done, but a year to learn and then take over ...

I'm glad you get to watch the others squirm Suzi.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 6 months ago

Draft Express projects Allen to be a lottery pick, 9th or so, next year ... a OAD. Kansas fans know all about projected lottery picks that come in to elite level college ball with no clue how to play the game...and limited learning abilities.

However, the word on Allen is he's a smarter kid with some relatively polished skills. My bet is he'll play 20 mpg for Kansas. I don't think Az is going to play much.

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm not a big fan of OAD bigs. They tend to have less impact. The most effective OAD players tend to be wings. If Allen sees himself spending just one year he'll have to be special to make an impact.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 6 months ago

UK got a couple of exceptions with Towns and The Unibrow guy.

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 6 months ago

I agree Jay. Self seems to do better w/the 2/3 OADs with some exceptions.

Rae Bricil 1 year, 6 months ago

OAD Bigs have an impact just not maybe as much in Self's system (excluding Embiid). Looking at this list there are quite a few OADs BIGs that have impacted CBB and it doesn't include Okafor.

Andrew Holmes 1 year, 6 months ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Thornton transferring because he wanted to play closer to home? If Miami is closer than Duke it can't be by much. Seems like he is transferring for other reasons (i.e. Forced out, thinks he's better than he is, not a team player, Etc.) definitely raises some red flags for me.

Rae Bricil 1 year, 6 months ago

i was wondering the same thing. The fact that he is even considering Miami makes his reason for leaving Duke lose credibility.

Steve Macy 1 year, 6 months ago

Evidently Gary didn't get the memo, do not mention Allen recruitment to KU again. Bol is incredibly skinny and if genetics mean anything he always will be. Still growing, if I understand correctly.

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 6 months ago

Smart to start recruiting early but not so sure about offering scholarships Earl was an LSU transfer whose knees didn't make it through college. He had all the tools to be great.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Well, at least he's out of grade school !!

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 6 months ago

Recruiting must take up a lot time. Misses from offers this year alone..

Harry Giles Thon Maker Bam Adebayo De'Aaron Fox Malik Monk Markelle Fultz Terrance Ferguson Josh Langford Rawle Alkins Jarrett Allen Marques Bolden Tyler Cook Braxton Key Schnider Herard Deshawn Corprew

Still a couple of opportunities left.

Robert Brock 1 year, 6 months ago

I still think Allen is deciding between Texas and Houston but willing to listen to HCBS and Snacks in the meantime. Allen would start at UT or Houston - but at KU he would be subbing for starters Bragg and Lucas.

The KU pitch: when Lucas graduates, the starting spot has Jarrett Allen written all over it and that would be one heck of a duo - Bragg & Allen. The Hawks would drive opponents crazy with the High/Low...

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

A third season of Bragg? That might be optimistic.

He's not showing up in mock drafts so you could be right.

Trent Rose 1 year, 6 months ago

Allen is more skilled than Azibuke and Coleby, and my feeling is he would challenge Bragg and Lucas for a starting position or be the first big off the bench. That being the case, he would still play 20-25 minutes a game, which is what he would play at UT or Houston.

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

The last Kansas big to do this as a freshman? UT and UH have no viable bigs. Kansas has several.

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 6 months ago

NOT saying your wrong Robert but I don't see Lucas at the 4 or Allen at the 5 but I could see Bragg and Allen in the same line-up if Self goes small. Bragg and Allen could be a great duo.

BUT when Lucas graduates, I see Azibuike as the likely replacement. Lots of options but I don't see Allen coming to KU or him staying a second year if he did.

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 6 months ago

Wish I could just delete instead of editing.

Mick Allen 1 year, 6 months ago

I am good friends with a relative of Jeremiah's mother. I saw him play 2 years ago in an AAU tournament in Lawrence. He was about 6'1" then, but you could tell the kid was going to be special. Nice kid who has grown up in an upper class atmosphere in KC. If he continues to develop he'll be a 5 star recruit his senior year. His dad Lester came to KU from LSU with some baggage, related to his recruitment by Dale Brown. Won the MacDonald's all star game slam dunk contest his senior year in high school. A fantastic athlete that never really developed his basketball skills, i.e. no touch, no go to offensive moves etc., but could run and jump, block shots and board. He turned out to be an unfinished product attributable to Brown's coaching failure in teaching him the nuances of the game. His kid is certainly going to be one to keep an eye on.

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm going to stick w/injuries as to what ended Lester Earl's career.

Lester Earl beating Kobe in the McDonald's all star dunk contest.

Mick Allen 1 year, 6 months ago

Marius, the knee problems shortened his career no doubt. He was not a "polished player" in his abbreviated career was the only point I was trying to make. One of Roy's assistants said, referring to Lester, that "he wasn't coached in college at LSU".

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 6 months ago

I get what you're saying. I remember how happy I was when Earl decided to come to KU.

It may not have been polished but the raw talent alone had me thinking 'superstar'!

Harlan Hobbs 1 year, 6 months ago

Lot of good information today. I noticed the same thing you did Andrew about Thornton. If he is seriously considering Miami, then there is clearly more to the story than what he said up front. Could be a red flag as you say.

Thanks Mick for the insights on Jeremiah. Hopefully, KU is getting a head start on his recruitment which will pay dividends in the future.

Regarding Allen, I am glad that Coach Self is still pursuing him though it apparently is a long shot. My take is that, given Azubuike's youth, Coach is looking for another 5 star center who can come in and be mentored by Landen Lucas, similar to perhaps what Tarik Black did for Joel Embiid. As a fifth year senior, Landen has a lot of experience that he can share, especially given his intelligence leadership.

I'm a little queasy about our inside offense next year without Perry Ellis. Other than Carlton, we might have a weakness there because, as many have said, he is really a power forward rather than a dominant inside player. I think that Landen will be fine, but he isn't the offensive threat that Perry was. Coleby might be the answer, but that remains to be seen.

The good news is that, with 3 available scholarships, the staff has considerable flexibility.

Finally, best wishes to those of you in the Houston area who are dealing with the terrible flooding. Our prayers are with you.

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

Harlan. Ellis was never an inside player. Joe Ross insists this and demands that it be said as often as anyone disagrees. He's a Small Forward/Wing. Stop calling him an "inside player" or a PF... Joe is adamant!

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

I agree. It's an idea so idiotic that it should die...

Joe's beating it again,.. don't shoot the messenger.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

Hey Harlan...big man by committee next year, maybe?

Steve Macy 1 year, 6 months ago

Thornton was losing playing time, playing closer to home is an excuse. Having said that, he would be welcome addition to KU.

Harlan Hobbs 1 year, 6 months ago

Jay, where did Perry get most of his points? If you will watch the videos as I have, you will see that he mostly got them in the paint. That doesn't mean that he is a true center or even a power forward, especially in the pros. However, you surely will have to admit that he didn't become a second team All-American by shooting from outside and that KU's success this year came largely in part by Perry's ability to get points inside even though that is not his natural position.

We all recognize that college and the pros are two totally separate animals. However, you must realize that, unless KU finds someone to match his inside point totals, next year could be a little lacking. KU has never been successful with strictly an outside game.

As it stands right now, I'm not that confident about our inside offense for next year. I hope that Landen will continue his development and that Dwight and Udoka can offer some things. However, neither Carlton nor Mitch Lightfoot are post players by nature and certainly wouldn't be at the next level, if they make it there. Therefore, I don't see Coach Self playing them out of position as much as he did Perry.

Perry was simply unique, and history is full of players his size who were effective inside in college but couldn't do so in the pros. Hopefully, his development of the outside shot will give him an opportunity to make it in the pros. The good thing is that, if a strong pro career is not in his future, Perry will be a complete success in whatever endeavors he undertakes based upon his intelligence, compassion, and quiet leadership.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Fortunately, I think that most of the posters here will agree with me. However, if not, so be it. We all are just rank amateurs when it comes to this analysis anyway.

My objection to some of your comments isn't about substance, but simply style, as I and many others have said. If everyone who disagrees with you is an "idiot" or "stupid" or a Chicken Little, then it is hard to have a meaningful conversation because your normally spot on analysis gets overshadowed by your rhetoric. I'll let you be the judge!

Mick Allen 1 year, 6 months ago

Harlan, I think you have described Perry's strengths and limitations accurately and there can be no question that he did most of his scoring in the paint, either off the bounce or posting up over a smaller defender who was not a shot blocker.

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

Harlan, You and I agree completely on Ellis. Thanks for that!

It's Joe Ross you're arguing with. He's adamant that Ellis has the same skills, played/plays the same position and has the same NBA potential as Harrison Barnes, a wing.

Harlan Hobbs 1 year, 6 months ago

Thanks, Joe and Mick. Jay, I also appreciate your retort, but frankly, I don't think that I have ever had an argument with Joe Ross. We don't always agree, but I always respect his position and try to understand from where he is coming. Therefore, even though it may just be semantics, I don't consider those discussions to be arguments.

I have no idea about any comparisons between Perry Ellis and Harrison Barnes. I didn't spend much time watching him at UNC, and I rarely watch the pros because I like the college game so much better. What I remember the most is that, to his credit, he was not a OAD and we beat him and UNC in the 2012 Elite Eight on our way to the National Championship game. Maybe that game and Bill Self's general success in games against Roy speaks to the relative merits of the two systems, although I do recall that UNC was without their starting point guard in the 2012 game.

As indicated above, the two of them played in very different coaching systems. Harrison seemed to be an outside shooter who occasionally got some "alley oop" dunks in a more fast paced offense. Perry, at least until this year, played mostly in the paint in a more pattern oriented, high/low offense under Bill Self, and I would agree that this style didn't particularly prepare Perry for the next level. However, now that he has a very formidable outside shot, perhaps he has a chance. I certainly hope so. In short, I'll just let the future determine how similar the two players are.

I know that we wanted Harrison Barnes at KU, and if memory serves me correctly, it came to us vs. UNC in his recruiting. Roy Williams had huge success recruiting for us in Iowa with Raef LaFrentz, Nick Collison, and Kirk Heinrich. Likely, that played a significant part in his choosing Roy as his college coach, along with the competing coaching styles.

Wow, give me a microphone, and it is off to the races. Anyway, Jay, just a little friendly advice. Focus on the substance of your views rather than style. It might not be as satisfying to you, but people will tend to listen to you more intently.

Make you a deal. You work on that, and I will work on being more concise. We can both benefit.

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

Thanks Harlan. The conversation about Barnes / Ellis was idiotic. That was my point. Joe continues to beat it like a child.

As your replies and the replies of others indicate, I don't have trouble being heard...not that I really care either way.

David Robinett 1 year, 6 months ago

Holy crap Jay Let It Go. If somebody wants to beat on their point let them beat on it and move on. Disagree and present counter-arguments if you want but stop repeating it every effing day on the board.

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

... And yet here you are beating on it....

Harlan Hobbs 1 year, 6 months ago

I guess this means that you aren't interested in my offer? Oh well, can't say I didn't try. I won't waste your time any further.

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

I already thanked you Harlan. Were you hoping to get your car washed and your lawn cut?

You've let Joe get you all worked up. Don't allow others to control your emotions that way.