Monday, April 18, 2016

Kansas basketball coaches hit road recruiting

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Kansas University’s basketball coaches were on the road tracking high school juniors in the recruiting Class of 2017 over the weekend, while continuing to work to fill three remaining scholarship slots for the 2016-17 team.

The biggest remaining prize in the Class of 2016 who is still considering KU is Jarrett Allen, a 6-foot-9, 225-pound senior forward from St. Stephens Episcopal in Austin, Texas. Various analysts believe in-state schools Texas and Houston lead KU, Kentucky and Notre Dame. Rivals.com’s No. 20-rated recruit has not set a date for his college announcement.

Trae Young, a 6-1, 170-pound junior from Norman (Okla.) North High, who averaged 24.7 points per game in three victories (nine of 19 from three) for Mokan Elite last weekend at an Nike EYBL event in Brooklyn, will host an in-home visit with KU coach Bill Self on Tuesday, according to Jayhawkslant.com.

Young, the No. 13-rated player in the Class of 2017 by Rivals.com, averaged 33.4 points a game his junior season at Norman North. He was named the Tulsa World state player of the year and the Oklahoman big-school state player of the year. Trae’s dad, Rayford Young, scored 1,525 points in 108 games at Texas Tech from 1996 to 2000.

Trae Young has a list of KU, Duke, Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, SMU, Stanford, Texas, Texas Tech and Virginia.

Young wants to be part of a package deal with No. 2-rated Michael Porter, a 6-8 junior from Tolton Catholic in Columbia, Mo.. Porter averaged 21.7 ppg for Mokan Elite over the weekend in games scouted by KU coaches. He hit 23 of 35 shots for 65.7 percent and 17 of 19 free throws. He was two of six from three.

No. 1 vs. No. 3: KU coaches watched the marquee game of the weekend event in Brooklyn. DeAndre Ayton’s Cal Supreme Team fell to Mohamed Bamba’s PSA Cardinals, 69-66. Ayton, a 7-foot, 250-pound junior from Hillcrest Academy in Phoenix, originally from Bahamas, is rated No. 1 in the Class of 2017. Bamba, 6-11, 205 junior from Westtown School in Westchester, Pa., originally from Harlem, is ranked No. 3.

Bamba scored 13 points and grabbed 12 boards, while Ayton had seven points, five rebounds and three assists.

“DeAndre is very talented, but he kind of made the game easier for me by not attacking, at all,” Bamba told USA Today.

Of all the coaches in attendance, Bamba said: “I see them, but this is business out there. I don’t even know who hasn’t offered. I don’t have anybody in my forefront. I’m going to do more research during the summer.”

For the weekend, Bamba averaged 15.3 points and 15.7 rebounds a game in three victories. Ayton averaged 13.3 points off 55.2 percent shooting and 12.0 rebounds for Cal Supreme (1-2). Ayton told ESPN’s Jeff Borzello that KU was recruiting him the hardest of all schools.

Preston update: Billy Preston, a 6-9 junior from Advanced Prep in Dallas who is ranked No. 6 in the Class of 2017, tells ESPN he has cut his list to four — KU, Arizona, USC and Maryland.

“I got kind of tired of the recruitment process. I kind of already had in mind a couple of schools I wanted to go to so I figured there was no point in wasting coaches’ time. I might as well get it out of the way, and if any other schools want to offer me, I’ll definitely take it,” Preston told Zagsblog.com.

Randolph speaks: Brandon Randolph of the PSA Cardinals told Borzello that KU has offered a scholarship. He averaged 11 points in three weekend games off 52.6 percent shooting, hitting three of seven threes. Randolph is a 6-5 shooting guard ranked No. 73 in the Class of 2017 and a teammate of Bamba at Westtown School.

Langford list: Romeo Langford, a 6-4 sophomore shooting guard from New Albany (Ind.) High, competed at an adidas event in Texas over the weekend. He told 247sports.com that KU, Duke North Carolina and Louisville were recruiting him the hardest, with Indiana, Purdue, UCLA and Vanderbilt also showing interest.

Another Diallo: Hamidou Diallo, a 6-4 junior from Putnam (Conn.) Science Academy, who averaged 18.3 ppg for the New York Rens in the Brooklyn event (scoring 26 in one game), was watched by coaches from KU, UConn, Arizona, Kentucky and Duke.

“His upside’s through the roof,” Rens coach Andy Borman told Zagsblog.com.

“I’m interested in every school that’s recruiting me,” Diallo said. “It’s just the truth. I don’t really have no favorites, just enjoying the process.”

“He’s the most athletic naturally gifted player in the country and maybe not even for his class, maybe just hands down,” Borman said. “The kid is 6-6, can do everything and does everything willingly. Plays defense, blocks shots, hustle plays, but the most impressive thing that I’ve seen is his basketball IQ is through the roof. It’s not like he’s just a gifted kid but he doesn’t know what he’s doing. Everything he does has a reason.”

Comments

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

What's in a name? Wondering if Billy Preston will start singing "Will it go round in circles?", if Langford, Young and Diallo are aware that their surnames have recognition on campus, and that "Bamba" is a bastardized abbreviation for Black Mamba (it actually isn't, but I needed something to appear to establish the thesis...work with me). In addition if you said "Jarrett Allen" really fast, someone could be forgiven for thinking this was a former Chiefs and Vikings sack specialist.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

I love that there are some Billy Preston fans left in the world!

Mick Allen 1 year, 6 months ago

" Nothing from nothing". Played with the Beatles and Stones. Was also on Shindig for a couple of years. A great talent Joe.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

He was known as the "Fifth Beatle". He wrote Jay Cocker's "You are so beautiful". And if you're a fan, you might enjoy this from his tour with Ray Charles in Paris:

Tom Jones 1 year, 6 months ago

It's hilarious how many people are called the Fifth Beatle. Stu Sutcliffe, Pete Best, George Martin and Preston, at least.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

Yes I knew that, but it wasnt advantageous to my point. LOL. There are actually more than those you've listed...

Mick Allen 1 year, 6 months ago

Big Preston fan, bigger Ray fan. Are those the "Rayettes"?

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 6 months ago

Count me in as a big Billy Preston fan!

www.billypreston.net

Maybe Bragg can do a recruitment rendition for him during Late Night.

Austin Lopez 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm excited about the 2017 class, there is some great prospects we have a high chance of landing. Hopefully Bill Self can get Michael Porter and Trae Young as a package deal. MIchael will be able to replace Josh Jackson if he bolts after his First season which is most likely, and Trae Young will fill the void left behind by Frank Mason once he graduates. And for Billy Preston I've heard some bad things about him from the guys over at ESPN, where Jeff and the recruiting gang talked about his lack for winning and only caring about his individual numbers. I don't know if thats true but I'll trust what the ESPN gang say because there around these kids majority of the year.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Interesting..I don't trust anything the ESPN gang says,but that's just me. :)

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

I posted something similar below...after you did.

Yonatan Negash 1 year, 6 months ago

DeAndre Ayton to Kansas, that's going to happen.

Not sure about the others but Ayton is coming to Kansas.

Really think Trae Young is headed to Kentucky, unless of course Cal takes the Sacramento job.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

I've heard that Trae Young and Michael Porter want to play for the same school. Often times that kids who end up parting ways, but rarely is it the case that two kids both live in the state neighboring a target school, and especially one with so much tradition. In addition, Bill Self could offer lots of playing time, because after the upcoming season Svi, Mason and Jackson will be gone from the backcourt.

Yonatan Negash 1 year, 6 months ago

Joe -

I would love to see both play for Kansas. Think it'd be great to see it happen.

Aaron Paisley 1 year, 6 months ago

KU has never landed a MoKan player before, wouldn't count on it now.

Benz Junque 1 year, 6 months ago

Kentucky has only landed one (WCS) so it's not like there's a huge difference.

Aaron Paisley 1 year, 6 months ago

Ayton may choose Kansas, but he may never step foot on a college campus because his prep school where he takes classes is not accredited by the NCAA so Ayton may never get through the Eligibility Center.

Yonatan Negash 1 year, 6 months ago

Ayton is coming to Kansas, is all I can tell you.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

Whats your scoop on Ayton? A specific source? There have been some who have attempted to pawn off hearsay...

Yonatan Negash 1 year, 6 months ago

Hey Jay - Are you on medication or stupid? What the hell is wrong with you coming in here calling people you don't know liars?

Dude, I don't know you and you don't know me, let's keep it that way.

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

Nobody said you were lying. Joe is known to spread bullstuff.

I apologize if you felt accused of that. Certainly that was not the intent.

Yonatan Negash 1 year, 6 months ago

Joe -

No source, no scoop, no inside information, I don't know a guy that knows a guy.

All I can tell you is that KU has been recruiting him the hardest and has been showing him interest for a long time.

I can also tell you the kid really likes KU and coach Bill Self.

The interest is mutual.

The kid is coming to Kansas, should be exciting news.

I'm happy to give more reasons as to why this makes sense.

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 6 months ago

A little backup for Yonatan:

But until the letter of intent is signed the above means nothing.

Terrance Ferguson was once listed 100% for KU before committing to Alabama where he never signed his letter of intent and has reopened his recruiting.

Robert Brock 1 year, 6 months ago

Stop with the tales about KU recruiting Jarrett Allen; the train left the depot a long time ago on that one!

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah! Stop reporting on players Self and co. are recruiting unless they have an above 50/50 chance of getting them....as soon as a player is rumored to be going somewhere else, even though they've said nothing, all coverage should immediately cease...

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

Certainly seems like Allen has cooled on Kansas, doesn't it? That's the latest I've seen.

If he chose Kansas it would be a real surprise at this point.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 6 months ago

No don't stop with the KU recruiting Jarrett Allen.

True everyone knows his situation fairly well. I love following Bill Self's recruiting physic in that he never gives up. Self has pulled enough magic tricks that it makes the UT Alums in the Houston area nervous. That in and of itself is more than sufficient reason to keep reporting this.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

For curiosity's sake, can you clarify your position on OADs in general?

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 6 months ago

If they fit into the overall betterment of the team, then great. However, I'd like to see a good balance of one or two almost per year, offset by a couple of 2 / 3 year players but the bulk being 3 or 4-star 4th and 5th year seniors.

Ideally:

OAD - 1 or 2

TAD - 1 or 2

Three and Done - 2

4th and 5th year seniors - 6-8, in various classes.

Steve Macy 1 year, 6 months ago

You are probably, most likely, right, but if not?

Harlan Hobbs 1 year, 6 months ago

Enjoyed the trip down memory lane, Joe, Mick, et. al.

Will be interesting to see what is done with the three remaining scholarships. A lot of scenarios, but it doesn't appear that there are any viable OAD's remaining. Therefore, I would suspect that transfers and perhaps a "diamond in the rough" with potential down the road might be in order.

With next year's team looking pretty solid everywhere, maybe saving one of two of the scholarships for the following year might be in order, since we will lose Landen, Frank, plus probably Josh, Carlton, and even Svi. If Young and Porter want to be a package deal, KU should have plenty of scholarships available.

Don't be surprised if Coach Self and his staff come up with some more players for next year who aren't on our radar right now. This is the time when transfer decisions get made right and left, and KU has seemed inclined to supplement the team in this fashion in the past. Something just tells me that they aren't showing all of their cards at this time. All I know is that they will continue to get the job done.

Rene Tinajero-Realtor 1 year, 6 months ago

Thankful we have a HC and staff that can recruit at the highest level...

Jeff Coffman 1 year, 6 months ago

What I think will be interesting over the next couple years is as players declare for the draft, but decide to come back; how that will affect the recruiting process. If they declare and a coach uses the scholarship, but than the player wants to come back, but there is no scholie, will the kid have to play D2 or sit out a year? I'll be curious. For instance, if Bill Self recruited and signed three players (and although I don't think Diallo is coming back), let's pretend he decided to return, there is the issue. Kentucky I think had nearly everyone declare, but you know half of them will return. It's just interesting.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

It's a good question and I don't know the answer to it. Coach Self has admitted to "oversigning" in the past, and obviously a program is allowed to have only so many scholarship players on the roster in a given year. I'd think if that situation ever happened, Coach Self would ask the declaring player to go to the D-League for a year or sign overseas until the next round of the draft. Best guess.

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

" Coach Self has admitted to "oversigning" in the past"

When? Do you have a link to that?

Aaron Paisley 1 year, 6 months ago

I think recruiting over players would be a more accurate description of what Self did to Andrew White, Merv Lindsey, Quintrell Thomas and whoever else Self has recruited over in the past.

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

Coach Self has always said he'll recruit the players that make the team better. OAD ish players seem to fit better at the wing.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

"While Self has said he would not ask a player to leave, he has said he would oversign if he believed players were likely to leave on their own."

Link: http://cjonline.com/sports/2009-03-30/stephenson_said_leaning_to_ku

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm not sure I believe that in the case of Tharpe.

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

3 seconds... or six hours.....

"Coach Self has admitted to "oversigning" in the past." As in, the past. That it's something he's already done. Not some hypothetical.

Are you that illiterate Joe, or do you hope everyone else is?

Neither.... you're just that dishonest. Stick to music.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Your vision is both untrammeled and unparalleled, although it appears your stamina on the Ellis/Barnes subject is flagging. Like all tornadoes, the fuel that feeds them never lasts forever! (Did I predict that???) :)

I'm enjoying a nice, imported bottle of Italian wine in my living room with...guess what...some stellar blues music playing, and there appears to be nothing that can be done to ruin the mood. Kinda gets that way when you're half a bottle in. I do wish I could accommodate you though.

CHEERS!!!

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

Joe my pathetic little man... I don't think you said what you think you did... When you say something that isn't true, that's dishonesty. When you do it again. It's still dishonesty.

There's no easy way to say this but you're pathologically dishonest. All your blather can't hide that. When you're challenged by someone on a simple point, especially someone you dislike, and you reply with something blatantly untrue, it's a sure sign of pathological behavior.

And nothing personal, but I absolutely guarantee that my blues AND wine collection greatly exceed yours. Bourbon, however seems to go better with blues.

You have interesting pop culture commentary at times. It's sad that your compulsive dishonesty can't be controlled.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

Interesting concession speech on Barnes/Ellis! Ah...victory.

See you in the funnies! :) :) :)

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm glad you reopened the Barnes/Ellis discussion.

While the "oversigning" comment was just pure dishonesty, you seem to prefer being known for being stupid, as the Barnes/Ellis comment indicates than for being a habitual liar... It's hard to blame you for that. I'll happily make sure that you get to enjoy both. You asked for it. And both apply..

Dirk Medema 1 year, 6 months ago

Joe,

The quote from Coach Self is that he would oversign (Future) not that he had oversigned (past) as you assert. Love the wine quote, but in this case your google indicates that your assertion is wrong. Coach Self does not admit that he has oversigned.

Benz Junque 1 year, 6 months ago

You just have the recruits wait to sign their NLI until after the NBA Draft decision date and make them aware that their scholarship is on the condition that it is available. Self isn't going to run an NBA caliber player out the door to get a recruit. Maybe a bench guy that needs to transfer to ever see the court but not a player that's good enough to be considering the NBA Draft early.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

"Self isn't going to run an NBA caliber player out the door to get a recruit."

That's definitely how I see it. To me it doesn't make sense otherwise. But I've been surprised by coaches before, and even Coach Self in particular. For example, if he's discouraging Diallo from entering the draft (and he should be discouraged) it's not common knowledge. To me, it kind of seems maybe like Diallo is being "cleansed" from the Kansas roster, either because he's being run off or not being sensibly discouraged. But I agree with you in that running off NBA caliber players seems just asinine.

Mike Greer 1 year, 6 months ago

Well, none of us really know what's gong on with Diallo, none of us are privileged to the information that is influencing Diallo's decision making process. If his "mentor" or family situation is pushing him to go NBA, it's probably not going to make a lot of difference what coach Self has to say.

For most of these guys the team would always benefit from them staying, and in many cases, the players would benefit from staying. But I've never seen coach go out on the limb if a player really wanted to go. He always seems to, at least publicly, support the players in their decision. I like it when a player says, "Coach, I don't need to enter the draft and withdraw, I know I'll be better next year". But most of these kids don't know enough to do that and some have financial responsibility that makes that an even more difficult decision.

Since coach Self has way more information on Diallo than I do, I'll have to take his word for it, that there is enough influence on Diallo, that it's unlikely he will choose to return next season and I doubt coach would encourage him to leave if he thought it was in his best interest to stay another year. Your recruiting isn't going to benefit from pushing guys out the door if they aren't ready.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

I think Bill should give a schollie to Tyler!! Wouldn't that just cause an explosion across Jayhawk Nation. :)

KU Primer for all recruits.

1] It is the University of Kansas, not Kansas University.

2] All things Missouri are bad except the Chiefs, the Royals, the Cardinals and any native Missourian who had the good sense to get his or her degree as a Jayhawk.

3] You've done your job if you are hearing the Rock Chalk Chant with about a minute to go,

4] Any school with a feline mascot is to be shunned.

5] Don't eat breakfast the morning of the first day of BOOT CAMP!!

6] If you want to play, run the offense,

7] If you want to play more, play defense.

8] If you want to play a lot, play defense like your protecting your Mom from Zombies!!!

9 Never forget that KU is the well spring of basketball.......ALL basketball.

10) There is plenty of room in the rafters for more banners...get some!!!!

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 6 months ago

1- you know, I was just like those young/foreign recruits when I was their age..calling the University of Kansas as Kansas U.. why don't the university officials come up with a straight forward abbr. the UKLA (the University of Kansas, LAwrence), or the UoK, the UKLK (the University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas), the UKK (the University of Kansas, Kansas), UofK, UKansas.. who did come up with KU in the first place?

RJ King 1 year, 6 months ago

Sorry but I just couldn't handle anything beginning with UK.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 6 months ago

I like KU. As for a straight forward abbreviation... just call us Kansas.

"Coach Self has admitted to "oversigning" in the past" - Joe Ross

It hasn't happened. He's never said that it did.

Blatant lie, Joe Ross.

Harlan Hobbs 1 year, 6 months ago

Ease up, Jay. I like your loyalty to KU, but Joe posted his sources, which is good enough for me. Secondly, none of us have the "inside scoop", so everything we say is generally speculation at best. New recruiting names are popping up all the time, and as I said above, I'm sure that Coach Self will continue to play his cards pretty close to the vest.

As for the serious question of how the new rules will affect recruiting, who really knows? However, people adapt to situations all the time, so I am confident that KU and all of the other blue bloods will figure it out. They always do.

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

Sorry Harlan. Joe posted some articles he dug up with a bunch of crap hypotheticals.

Oversigning is a big deal. When has Self had 14 kids SIGNED? Never. He hasn't done it and surely hasn't admitted to it. Recruiting lots of kids is one thing. SEC Football / United Airlines style over commiting is another.

When McLemore, Traylor and Anderson were academic partial qualifier redshirts in 2011, did Self push them out and sign another big? No. He gave Anderson's (he transferred to Fresno St on his own and played) unused schollie to Wesley. A productive grad transfer could have meant a National Championship game win vs Kentucky. That's Bill Self integrity.

Joe has serious honesty issues. Did he mean something different? He had that chance. He chose to be a child instead.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 6 months ago

Self is indeed a model for integrity, who uses the brutal truth, as he sees it, as his means to build a team. I'm sure (and happy for it) Self has had a few 'come to Jesus' discussions with players where he has been brutally honest about their future PT/role in the program. I seriously doubt there have been more than a very few occasions in his role as a HC where he actually told a player his scholarship would be pulled, i.e. actually kick him off the team.

Self's MO is more along the lines of ....'I'm committing to go with 'name the player' over you next year, unless something unforeseen happens. I want you to stay as Kansas but if you chose to transfer, I will support your decision and assist in anyway helpful to you.'

After 13 years at Kansas every single one of us who follow KU Basketball closely knows Bill Self very well, even if we never have met him. It's not at hard difficult to extrapolate what must have gone on with Diallo. Recall earlier in the season our loss to MSU resulting in BG going off, basically calling Self out for bad coaching for not playing him. Likewise, it's not hard to imaging Diallo reacting the same way to his not playing vs 'Nova. Instead of Diallo lashing out verbally, he had his agent/mentor call Self to tell him of his NBA plans, which must have really PO'ed Self after all he had done for him.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

I read this and found it compelling. Maybe you will too:

"Tharpe said this week that his daughter is fine, and her health really wasn't the reason he departed. 'It just didn't work out how it was supposed to,' Tharpe said. 'That's why I left.' Asked if it was his decision to leave, Tharpe said, 'It was basically both the coach's as well as mine, but the majority of it was the coach's decision.' Tharpe said he simply didn't play well enough for Self to want him back."

Source: http://www.telegram.com/article/20141124/NEWS/311259934/1009

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 6 months ago

With regards to Tharpe, I have no doubt Self was brutally honest with him, probably telling him his plans to go with Mason the following year.

With Tharpe, you kept 'hearing' things about him, not much of which was good by 'normal' standards.

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

When Tharpe left there were scholarships available. His just added to the list.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

I dont think it was put so indirectly. Sounds like Self put it to him squarely, and that it wasnt about anyone other than Tharpe himself. Tharpe basically got pushed out. This "mutual decision" spin is a way to put a positive face on what Tharpe even admitted himself: it was the coach's decision. Makes you wonder about others who have left the program. After all, clearly Coach wasnt keeping it 100% with the media and fans re: Tharpe.

Harlan Hobbs 1 year, 6 months ago

One other thing. Until a player signs on the dotted line, there are a lot of Plan B's, C's, D's, etc. out there. If you had a list of all the kids that have received an offer from KU in any given year, I can assure you that there are many more offers than available scholarships. That's the way the system has to work. Otherwise, if you don't get the players you are targeting first, then you'll end up in a dry hole.

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

New mock drafts have Cheick Diallo at 22nd and 23rd....

Maybe he's not making the tragic mistake so many "experts" proclaim...

Mike Greer 1 year, 6 months ago

On a risk / reward basis, if he can get in the first round, he's making a good decision for him. Could his basketball skills improve with another year at KU, more than likely. Will they improve enough to move him to a lottery pick, maybe, maybe not. Could he not improve enough to improve his draft status, possibly. Coach is going to play the guys that give the team the best chance to win, if that's not Diallo, then there could be a down side for him. One year without much playing time is easy to explain, but a second year, that would look really bad for him. I'll bet he knows where he stands in the pecking order.

All that is true.

The simplest reality is that 1) he'll improve faster as a professional basketball player than as a college player. 2) he may not really like college.

It's his decision. Those that seek to condemn him for it don't have his best interests in mind any more than an agent or guardian. There is no guarantee how any of his options will work.

Harlan Hobbs 1 year, 6 months ago

If the definition of over-recruiting is that you sign more players than you have scholarships for, then technically that is impossible because you have a limit on the total number of scholarships. If you are saying that such a situation forces you to take away someone's scholarship or someone has to leave involuntarily, then of course you are correct.

That is exactly what happened with Justin Wesley. Fortunately, his brother, Keith Langford, paid his way so that he could stay at KU officially as a walk-on. Otherwise, I doubt that Justin could have afforded to stay at KU. In short, then, KU over-recruited in this situation because they didn't have enough scholarships to go around.

Another more oblique situation occurred when Roy Williams was the coach. You may recall that they once recruited a great high school player out of Kansas City by the name of Chris Lindley. He was the prototype power forward, but in a terrible tragedy, he lost a leg in a railroad accident before enrolling at KU.

Roy kept his scholarship commitment to Chris, but a scenario existed where he qualified under academic or some other criteria. Therefore, Roy didn't have to use one of his basketball scholarships, even though I will bet that he would have done so given his loyalty to his players.

Ultimately, I think we will agree that it is strictly a numbers game and that, depending upon your definition of what constitutes over-recruiting, it is more a matter of semantics. That said, don't you think we have wasted enough time on this subject?

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

Wesley wasn't brought in on scholarship. He had one at one point out of generosity.

BTW, Joe insisted on re-opening the Ellis is a Small Forward, and has the same skills as Harrison Barnes and other Small Forwards, and the same pro potential, because they 're both 6'8 220..... Is Welsey a Small Forward too? He's just a hair taller...

Why isn't he an NBA small forward...

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

I was seriously just a little disappointed on your lack of stamina on the issue, that's all. I mean youre "Jay Scott" and to your credit youve been so good at the "Chicken Little" mantra. Very highly recognizable, and I think you'll agree! I figured if I was gonna make a transgression it was gonna be a doozy worth the same level of focus and attention. In fact, please be as aggressive with all other of my viewpoints that you disagree with. No need to limit it to one issue (although the Ellis/Barnes thread deserves some special attention....). Turn up the volume this time though. I know you have it in you.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 6 months ago

Joe, Please don't egg him on, no matter how much wine you've had. He's bad enough on his own without extra motivation.

There's a reason why some of us aren't JH teachers, and thankful for it.

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

Nobody cam humiliate you more than you already have, not even me.

Harlan Hobbs 1 year, 6 months ago

Wow, you are one tough nut to crack. I'll just resort to ignoring you as most others do. It isn't worth it any more.

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

I just object to dishonesty and negative assertions that have no validity. If that offends people, they've got the problem.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 6 months ago

Jay, It's not the objecting that is a problem. It's the childish rants and name calling that will blow-up because you don't agree with someone else. Disagree all you want, just have enough decency to be civil about it.

A great quote was given to me early in my career - There are always 2 ways of saying anything; a positive and a negative.

Saying something positive doesn't mean you agree with the other person. It does make the conversation civil. To say, "I disagree" (hopefully followed by reasons why) is positive and civil, especially when compared to inflammatory alternatives like, that's stupid, you're an idiot, ...

Jay Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

Gee thanks Dirk... As a 53 year old partner and Sales Director of a tech company I was unaware of such subtleties..... I guess I've just never met anyone who combined ignorance, arrogance and dishonesty the way Joe does... Thanks for you great advice... ;)

RJ King 1 year, 6 months ago

Hey Harlan - it WILL go round in circles.

But, I Don't Want You To Pretend. Something's Got To Change.

I've Got A Feeling, What About You? My Sweet Lord . . . Give Me Love. As Long As I Got My Baby.

And sometimes Jay, just Keep It To Yourself.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Damn. I just spent four hours at Busch Stadium watching the Cards lose to the Cubs 2-1 when I could have been home participating in this amazing thread, As Harry Potter's Hermainie would say.."What an idiot!"

RJ King 1 year, 6 months ago

or, as Billy Preston would say, "nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'."

Harlan Hobbs 1 year, 6 months ago

Who said our memories get dimmer as we get older? Sometimes, that's all we have left. Cherish them!