Monday, April 11, 2016

Top-ranked senior Josh Jackson picks Kansas

Josh Jackson, from Napa, California, competes in the slam dunk contest during the McDonald's All-American Jam Fest, Monday, March 28, 2016, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Matt Marton)

Josh Jackson, the country’s No. 1-ranked high school basketball player who vowed to keep his impending college commitment low-key, delivered on his pledge at 7:34 p.m. on Monday.

That’s when the 6-foot-7, 203-pound senior shooting guard from Prolific Prep in Napa, Calif., posted a rendering of himself wearing a Kansas University basketball jersey No. 11 on his j_josh11 Twitter account.

Streaks of sunlight streamed through the windows of Allen Fieldhouse and sliced through KU’s five national championship banners with the words “Rock Chalk Jayhawk” at the top of the drawing.

The words on Jackson’s short tweet read: “Next year I will be attending Kansas University,” with a blue and crimson heart and hashtag RCJH concluding the message.

It ended a long day for fans of KU, plus fellow finalists Arizona and Michigan State, who knew only since Saturday that Jackson planned to tweet his decision sometime Monday.

Jackson’s girfriend, future Michigan guard Kysre Gondrezick, who had 72 points in a game this season at Benton Harbor High and was voted Michigan “Miss Basketball 2016,” mercifully gave the fans a break in the early afternoon hours, tweeting the fact Josh would announce promptly at 7:30 p.m. Central time on Twitter.

Jackson, who averaged 26.9 points, 13.1 rebounds and 6.3 assists his senior season at Prolific Prep and was named co-MVP of the recent McDonald’s All-America Game, was back in Napa, Calif., Monday and did not speak about his college choice.

He told USA Today recently that the No. 1 factor in the school he would select was “trust.”

“No. 1, I just want to be around people I can trust and who are going to push me to become better on and off the court,” he said. “Two is style of play. Each team plays pretty fast. I think that is where I’m best, when we are playing fast or in the open court, transition. Three ... I kind of already said it in the first one, to be under a coach who is going to push me and not just kiss my butt because I am who I am or they want me so bad. Push me to get better.”

His new college coach, Bill Self, cannot comment about Jackson until he receives his signed letter-of-intent or scholarship papers. The late signing period begins Wednesday.

“I love coach Self,” Jackson told ESPN.com at the McDonald’s game. “I love the way he coaches his players. Pushes them, makes them better. When I took my official visit there, I got this real good feeling that they were all about family. You could really trust people there.”

Jackson’s mom, Apples Jones, who played for Allen County CC in Iola and UTEP before joining the Navy for a time, spoke briefly to Rivals.com on Monday.

“For myself, my goal was to find out which schools had his best interest and all I wanted to do was report back to Josh on what I found,” she said. “When I say ‘best interest,’ I’m talking for the long haul and as a person and not just a basketball player. He’s invested a lot in his future success, and I’ve invested a lot in his future, and we wanted him to go somewhere that he felt he could continue on that road.

“(Kansas) had the plan and roadmap and they laid it out for me,” Jones added. “I could see the future they had planned for Josh from his freshman year to his senior year. I could also see that they cared about him more as a person than as a basketball player.”

Jackson — he helped Detroit Consortium win a state title his sophomore season before moving on to Prolific Prep as well as Justin-Siena High (where he does his coursework) — is considered a certain one-and-done player. In fact, he’s already being listed as No. 1 pick in the 2017 Draft by espn.com. Jackson assuredly will move right into the starting perimeter slot of Wayne Selden Jr., who is off to the NBA Draft after three seasons at KU.

“Josh is an absolute once-in-a-generation beast,” Prolific Prep founder Jeremy Russotti told the Journal-World on Monday in a phone interview. He was head coach during Jackson’s junior year and also worked with Jackson the summer prior to arriving in California. “Very few are cut from the same cloth as that kid. He’s such a strong competitor, teammate. He just cares about winning and competing every possession. Off the court, he’s the sweetest, most polite, caring person around kids, adults.

“On the court, it doesn’t matter if we’re playing pool or pingpong or basketball. He’s just a competitive freak,” Russotti added. “That’s what separates him from most kids. That’s what will drive him to be an NBA all star and above.”

His head coach his senior season was Billy McKnight, who also raves about the athletic wing.

“Josh contributes in every facet of the game,” McKnight told the J-W. “Offensively, he’s got great feel, is a fantastic passer, a freak in transition, and will make the SportsCenter Top-10 several times this year.”

Those will assuredly come via plays on the offensive end.

He’s known for good defense as well.

“I played him at the 1-4 positions this year. Defensively, I adjusted our scheme this year because of Josh. We literally didn’t help off other players when Josh was guarding 1-on-1. He guarded 1-5 for us,” McKnight said. “He’s so quick off the ground. His ability to block shots and rebound will make a huge impact.

“All that said, his greatest attribute is how competitive he is. He plays to win, and that’s all there is to it. He holds his teammates to an extremely high standard. Look no further than the McDonald’s game this year. It’s no coincidence that his team was competing to win that game (Jackson’s West team won, 114-107). That wasn’t a typical exhibition game. In the two practices leading up to that game, he made it clear he wouldn’t tolerate guys not defending. He literally changed that game. He’s one of the most competitive kids I’ve ever seen,” McKnight added.

Jackson, who had seven points in Team USA’s 101-67 win over World Select in Saturday’s Nike Hoop Summit, now is 20-0 in games played for USA Basketball-sponsored teams. He has won Under 17 and Under 19 age-group crowns in major international competition. Jackson averaged 12.1 points, 7.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals per game last summer for the gold-medal Under 19 team in Greece.

“Playing for the national team is way different to anything else,” Jackson said recently to news.nike.com, expressing pride at playing for his country. “I’m representing everybody in America and that’s a wonderful thing to think about… It’s wild.”

Jackson realizes he has come a long way in a short time, thanks to his mom, who taught him to play unselfishly and value winning above individual accomplishments.

“My mom was a pretty good player and was offered tryouts in the WNBA,” Jackson said, “and a lot of other people in my family played — my dad, my uncles and both aunts played.”

A big influence was his freshman coach at Detroit Consortium, Al Anderson, who died after Josh’s freshman campaign.

“There were a lot of people who helped the team in my freshman year and sophomore year,” Jackson said. “My coach my freshman year I looked up to — he was really influential.”

Of winning state in 2014, Jackson said: “That year was the first time my school ever won a state championship. Being part of that team, just playing in Detroit… It’s a basketball city, everybody there really likes basketball and our games were packed with fans from everywhere, from all over Detroit — even people not from Detroit came. I enjoy proving people wrong all the time, and we did that when we won the championship.”

He won the title for Anderson.

“It was a really tough time,” Jackson told Nike of the period after Anderson’s death. “We had a lot of people in our school who just looked up to the basketball team so much. They kind of depended on us a lot. Basketball was the main sport at our school so we had to win it for our school and for our coach. I still think about coach Al every day.”

Jackson described his game to nbadraft.net: “I’m a very athletic wing who can dribble, play really hard, play hard defense. A great passer. I think what separates me from everybody is how hard I compete and my will to win.”

Asked if there’s anybody he patterns himself after, he said: “Not anyone in particular but I do watch a lot of college and NBA games, a lot of players, and when I’m watching each and every one of them I just try to take little pieces of each of them and try to add it into my game.”

Jackson has plans on developing his game this summer. “I want to improve on my shooting and probably my ball handling a little bit,” he said.

This, that: Jackson joins two big men who will join KU’s program for next season: McDonald’s All-American Udoka Azubuike, a 6-11, 260 senior from Potter’s House in Jacksonville, Fla.,who is ranked No. 27 nationally by Rivals.com, and Mitch Lightfoot, 6-8, 210 senior from Gilbert Christian in Arizona, who is rated No. 118. KU has eight returning scholarship players on the roster (Frank Mason III, Lagerald Vick, Devonté Graham, Svi Mykhailiuk, Carlton Bragg, Dwight Coleby, Landen Lucas, Cheick Diallo), meaning two scholarship spots on the team remain open, more if any of the group of Diallo, Bragg, Mykhailiuk elect to turn pro. Diallo has put his name in the draft but not yet signed with an agent.

Comments

Sae Thirtysix 3 years, 1 month ago

Paging Rodney Crain? Rodney Crain?

Paging Duane Peschka? Duane Peschka?

Jay Scott 3 years, 1 month ago

Will Josh be as good at small forward/wing as Ellis was?

Lex Valdez 3 years, 1 month ago

Yes! Welcome to Lawrence MR. Jackson... Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Humpy Helsel 3 years, 1 month ago

Welcome, Josh - we are so excited to have you as a Jayhawk!

Reggie Flenory 3 years, 1 month ago

Funny when we get the number one recruit in the nation no one is complaining about how he's a one-and-done everyone's happy LMAO! Welcome to Kansas mr. Josh Jackson

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 1 month ago

Funny how some people just can't be happy without bit**ing about something...

Welcome to KU Josh!

Brett McCabe 3 years, 1 month ago

Reggie, you don't really understand what being a Jayhawk is, do you? We don't rain on our own parades, even it we don't really like parades.

Welcome to town Josh. RCJHK!

Matt Gauntt 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm guessing your the type of guy that would get a papercut on a $500 million lottery ticket and complain that it just wasn't worth the pain and the price of the bandaid.

Jay Scott 3 years, 1 month ago

The Chicken Littles have found the subtle ways to whine, don't be fooled.

Jay Scott 3 years, 1 month ago

I got 197,000 results. You've got bad internet or a stone age computer.

Kristen Downing 3 years, 1 month ago

Hopefully he will make a consistent contribution, not be a distraction and Svi will return.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 1 month ago

Apples deserves a bunch of credit because she saw in Bill Self the Coach who could bring out the best in her boy!! [gotta love a gal named Apples].

Frank,Devonte, Josh, Landen and Carlton with Svi, Azu,and a five star to be named shortly coming off the bench!!!!

Nicknames: Jammin' Josh Jackson, JJ, The Jackson Five, Josh the Jack Hammer Jackson.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 1 month ago

I can get to like Apples a lot...real fast!

Mike Greer 3 years, 1 month ago

Congratulations on a wise decision, Rock Chalk!

Bryce Landon 3 years, 1 month ago

A wise decision would be if he opted to stay for the full four years and not have one foot out the door to the NBA.

Greg Ledom 3 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like you would make the wise decision to turn down millions if dropped in your lap. An interesting take on a wise decision indeed...........A wise decision for Josh would be to not seek out advice from you Bryce. Don't be a hypocrite, you wouldn't turn it down and you know it. You would be gone so fast coach Self would be yelling at your back side........what about those four years Bryce!!!!

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 1 month ago

He would pull a Thom Maker if he could and attempt to bypass college altogether. I am interested in seeing how Maker's journey ends up. Jackson has managed to personally catapult KU's pre-season ranking to #2 or 3 depending on which poll you look at. Why would he not take his talent from that much of an influence to a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract forsaking a college degree?

Jay Scott 3 years, 1 month ago

In all likelihood that will be an obscenely stupid option. How's things working for Wiggins?

Gary McCullough 3 years, 1 month ago

He still has to displace Svi at the 3 spot.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 1 month ago

It will only make Josh better to have some legit competition but a good point Gary

Barry Weiss 3 years, 1 month ago

his step back jumper looks Buddy Hieldish!

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 3 years, 1 month ago

Fantastic news! Excited to have you at KU. Let's make it 13 in a row next year!

Bryce Landon 3 years, 1 month ago

Better yet, let's go to Final Four #15.

Danny Hernandez 3 years, 1 month ago

Question, do you think Mcarthy Hall had any bearing? These are the the best of the best in dorms, the RitzCarlton in college basketball housing? How any future recruit could visit our school and see the basketball dorm and not feel like they're downgrading when choosing another school is beyond me!

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 1 month ago

When DeBruce opens...wow...watch out!

The Golden Era of Bill Self and Kansas Basketball may be upon us.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 1 month ago

Congratulations Josh Jackson for making a great choice.

Congratulations to Bill Self for filling the ONE need to make a great team for next year.

A few years ago, we needed Marcus Smart to fill a critical need...near miss....Big 12 Title but early NCAA exit.

A couple of years ago, we need Turner to fill a critical need .... a near miss...Big 12 title but early NCAA exit.

If Mykailiuk returns, we will be able to field the most talented and quickest team ever by gong 4 around 1!

We have some huge games next year starting with Duke in NYC then UK in Lexington and not to be forgotten IU!

I'm not out to put unrealistic expectations on our team next year but Jackson can go for 19/7/7, which would probably get him Big 12 and National POY! The team could go 40-0 to tie UCLA for number 13 and pick up Title VI.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 1 month ago

Suzi, God bless you, if this is just a modified expectation list, on a good day you'll find the cure for cancer, have the North Koreans entertain the South Koreans with an all night kegger, fill Congress with only honest politicians and have KU beat Alabama in the Rose Bowl for the NC!!!

You know, Josh is truly the only true wing...maybe Mr, Ferguson can jump on board as well.:) Your enthusiasm is starting to rub off on me!!!

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 1 month ago

Funny, I always thought you and Suzi were the same person.

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 1 month ago

Jackson won't go for 19/7/7. Even Wiggins didn't average that when KU was much more dependent on him to score. His numbers will probably be more in the Xavier Henry range, maybe a little better than Henry's numbers, but probably not in the range to get him NPOY consideration. Mason, Graham, and Bragg are also going to put up points next year.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 1 month ago

Jackson is by far the better passer than Wiggins...and has a much better handle. He is also much more of an alpha dog than any player we've had a KU over the past few years, however, he is team oriented. The key to him getting 19 is making FTs, where he could get 6 or 7 a game. If Self goes 5 around 1 a lot, he'll get the Rebs.

Jackson is a very very bright young man. Combine him with Mykailiuk, Lucas Bragg, Graham and some of the others will give us the smartest (highest BBIQ) and athletic team in the Bill Self Era.

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 1 month ago

So you want KU to be dependent on one player? Not happening because KU has enough scoring in the supporting cast.

Also, when has Bill Self ever voluntarily played a 4 guard line up? Every time he's ever done it that I can remember, it's been the result of post players having foul issues.

You're expecting Jackson to put up the best numbers any guard has ever put up at KU and calling it realistic. Wayne Simien in 2006 and Sherron Collins are the only two players in the Bill Self era to average 19+ ppg. No perimeter player has ever averaged 7 rpg at KU under Self, Rush and Wiggins each averaged 6 rpg. Aaron Miles averaged around 7 apg for his career.

You're putting Danny Manning level expectations on this kid when Jackson's not that good. Jackson will also have a very good supporting cast around him next year. 14-15 ppg, 4-5 rpg, and 1-2 apg is a more likely stat line for Jackson next year.

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 1 month ago

Wiggins was a better shooter and better athlete coming out of HS. Jackson appears to have a slightly better handle and be a significantly better passer. It's the competitive drive that has the potential to put Jackson over the top, but I don't think that he'll have enough to catapult him as a serious NPOY candidate. Maybe CPOY. But if he can shoot 35%+ from 3 and 70%+ from FT, and can guard 1-3 or 1-4 then he has a chance to take us very far next year. We really don't need any of the 40-0 talk though. That does us no good.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 1 month ago

Talk about 40-0 will naturally pick-up or cease with early games vs Duke, UK and IU. If we go through those games undefeated and with a weaker Big 12...you bet there will be plenty of talk, although not nearly as much as UK a couple of years ago. If we do get to that point, I hope the guys and everyone embraces the challenge and not shrink from it.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 1 month ago

Wiggins didn't have an accomplished PG to get the ball to him, Josh will. I think Josh will put up better stats than Wiggins.

Reggie Flenory 3 years, 1 month ago

Wiggins ave 16 a game 19 a game for josh seems high but if he's efficient maybe

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 1 month ago

He's got to hit his FTs to get to 19...convert those &1s.

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 1 month ago

Jackson is a bad FT shooter and a poor jump shooter.

Mike Greer 3 years, 1 month ago

Perry Ellis, the quiet and reserved Perry Ellis, who we will sorely miss next season, put up 17 ppg so quietly and with such little fanfare, no one even noticed. Well someone is going to have to replace those points. Plus the points Wayne Selden scored. Sure, Lucas may score a little more next year and certainly Bragg will add to the point total in significant ways, but it seems there's plenty of room for a 18-19 ppg player on the team.

Brett McCabe 3 years, 1 month ago

It will be fun to watch the dynamics and development of this team. Bragg clearly showed offensive flashes. Can he get stronger and become a force? Will Svi's aggressiveness continue to increase? With Jackson, Svi and Bragg, can we create some matchup nightmares for our opponents? Will we have the leadership we need from Devonte in order to keep this team loose and together at the same time? How are the bigs going to shake out?

I'm guessing that Self will develop a platoon system....:)

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 1 month ago

You also Mason, Graham, and probably Svi coming back next year as well. There's also Coleby in the front court as well. These guys along with Jackson should easily replace Perry and Wayne's production.

Mike Greer 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm assuming the production from Mason and Graham, will remain about the same, if Svi returns, I would hope his production increases. I don't see Lucas scoring that much more than he did the latter part of this past season and Bragg should score more. Some of the other recruits and players like Coleby, I'd need a crystal ball.

Keep in mind Ellis and Selden were the top two scorers this past season, so you're probably looking at close to 30-35 points a game you have to replace. KU is still going to be an 80 to 90 point a game team, I would think. Even four guys at mid double figures is only going to give you 60 ppg. You need more than that for the Big XII, and we needed more than that against 'Nova.

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 1 month ago

Mason's scoring will probably stay in the 12-13 ppg range, I could see Graham increasing his scoring a little because he's going to be the primary outside shooter so he should get more looks from 3 this year. The bulk of the replacement of Ellis and Selden's points are going to come directly from Jackson and Bragg with a little bit from Graham. Svi's scoring output will likely go up as he takes over Greene's minutes.

Robert Brock 3 years, 1 month ago

We will miss Perry and Wayne - but next season is going to be flat-out FUN!

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 1 month ago

I was just thinking about Suzi throwing the 40-0 thing out there and I was thinking, that I would expect that there will be at least a couple games before the start of Big XII play where we all really miss Perry Ellis. In my opinion we should just put 40-0 away. Would be nice to just get out of the Champions Classic undefeated this season.

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 1 month ago

Any 40-0 talk is ridiculous. KU will not be better than UK two years ago and that UK team had a very soft schedule.

Lance Hobson 3 years, 1 month ago

Rock Chalk Josh Jackson! You'll be a Jayhawk for life! How in the world will we not win the Big 12 next year!?

Tony Bandle 3 years, 1 month ago

In all seriousness, I'm thinking Brannen's transfer announcement may have played a large or maybe even a larger role as Wayne's move to the NBA in influencing Josh's decision. I guess we'll never know,

Weird but in a bizzaro world way maybe this increase in PT with his departure could end up being Brannen's greatest contribution as a Jayhawk if Josh indeed fulfills his potential.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 1 month ago

Sort of a "sacrifice fly" then? Flew from the Jayhawk's nest so a more skilled bird would have his space, right?

Brian Wilson 3 years, 1 month ago

Wow.....welcome Josh! And, after three long years, we finally have a small forward playing the 3 spot. Very nice lineup and we are not done.....

Mason Graham
Vick Svi, Self
Jackson Svi
Bragg Lightfoot Coleby
Lucas and Az

And we have only used up 11 scholarships. Now all we need is Diallo back and either Jarrett Allen or Marcus Bolden to sign and our team talent is through the AFH roof!

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 1 month ago

That's not going to happen. I hope Self can find 10-15 mpg for Vick next year but anything more just isn't happening.

Mallory Briggans 3 years, 1 month ago

looking at the roster we have either guards or bigs...........need a couple 4s i dont see Bragg as an athletic 4......does have good midrange game and can get you a rebound from time to time.....Lightfoot the jury is out on him ...Coleby will be in bigs rotation....so there is a glaring need for an athletic 4..........so you will have J.J. D'tae.....Frank.......Lucas.....Bragg...but that 4 would rotate with Bragg........its a shame that Diallo didnt work out he would be that athletic 4 ......his natural position....deep team and balanced as well.

Colby Hebert 3 years, 1 month ago

Svi is as tall as a lot of 4's. Jackson too. Not worried here.

Trent Rose 3 years, 1 month ago

Bragg is the definition of a stretch 4. If anything he needs to get stronger and develop more in the low post to be a 4. His jump shot is already very good. I think he compares to Marcus Morris and will have a great sophomore year. I would say averaging 12 and 7 would be reasonable.

Bryce Landon 3 years, 1 month ago

I'd be a lot more excited about this if our last few one-and-dones hadn't let us down. How many national titles did we go to with Xavier Henry, Josh Selby, Ben McLemore, Andrew Wiggins and Kelly Oubre? Zero. Three of these five ended their KU careers after losing in the NCAA Round of 32. Our Final Four runs in 2008 and 2012 were keyed by upperclassmen - juniors and seniors. The kind of players Self should be recruiting are the kind who are self-aware enough to know they're not NBA-ready and are willing to stick around 3-4 years. They give us our best chance of making a deep run in the NCAA Tournament - to the Final Four, the title game, possibly even a title. One-and-dones, not so much.

Now if at this time next year we are celebrating an NCAA title and Josh Jackson was a major factor in that, you guys can feed me my words with a fork and spoon, and I'll gladly eat them. But our history with one-and-dones makes me cautious about celebrating a one-and-done player joining our team.

Leon Trotter 3 years, 1 month ago

Tom Jones 3 years, 1 month ago

Bryce is the FIRE BILL SELF guy, remember.

Mike Greer 3 years, 1 month ago

Some people just don't know how to analyze data. Rather than look at the losses with 1-and-dones, look at how many teams loose with no 1-and-done players. With 347 teams seeking the one title, there are going to be more disappointments than celebrations, the goal is to be in the running and you stay in the running by recruiting the best players you can get your hands on. Think about it, if they're not playing for you, they're playing for your opponent in that quest for the one prize. As much as I'd like to see all players stay for a full 4 years of eligibility, that's not today's reality.

Bryce Landon 3 years, 1 month ago

Interesting that Leon Trotsky is commenting on my post - a guy who died 76 years ago coming back from the grave to crack on me for being guarded in my welcome to a one-and-done player. Hey comrade, don't you have a Bernie Sanders rally to attend somewhere?

Jay Scott 3 years, 1 month ago

Let's be honest. You'd be a lot more excited if Self was fired.

Bryce Landon 3 years, 1 month ago

I'd be a lot more excited if we could go to a Final Four.

And perhaps you missed it, or chose to ignore it like the ignorant bluffer you are, but I've dropped the Fire Bill Self mantra. A 33-win season and Elite Eight appearance proved to me that he still has what it takes to keep Kansas among the sport's great powers.

Trent Rose 3 years, 1 month ago

We can make you eat your words right now. KU might have won the national title in 2012 if McLemore was eligible, In no way do I think that he, Wiggins, Henry, and Embiid, as OAD's, let KU down. I know all KU fans want to go to the Final Four, but if you judge a season by 1 game... you will be disappointed more than satisfied.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 1 month ago

Bryce does make some valid points. I know it's a lot easier to go after the messenger than the message but both our Final Four teams were led by upperclassmen. Fortunately, we will have plenty of experience next year.

I look at Ben Simmons who put up spectacular numbers last year at LSU yet they weren't even in the Tournament. If Josh can be the type of player who can take the last second shot then maybe we can put this argument to rest.

Mike Riches 3 years, 1 month ago

Welcome Mr. Jackson! Can we go to Korea again this summer? October is waaay too long to wait!

John Pritchett 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't know why I allow myself to get excited by a recruit like this, with the history that we've had. But I do. I'm a Jayhawk, ever the optimist.

Welcome to the Jayhawks family, Josh Jackson!

Fingers crossed that nothing holds Josh back from fully realizing his potential in his one year with the team.

John Pritchett 3 years, 1 month ago

Also, what I like best about Jackson is that he didn't have Kentucky on his short list. Says a lot about his character :)

Steve Zimmerman 3 years, 1 month ago

What a great day for KU fans & MCBB team!

======= "As far as fitting a system, Jackson is one of those talents who transcends any system," said Meyer about Jackson. "Heck, in a large part, he would be the system wherever he went," he added. =======

Let's hope coaching staff know how to utilize Jackson and also he is familiar with all kinds of defensive plays that will be thrown at him!

Reggie Flenory 3 years, 1 month ago

When they describe how good of a kid he is and his character he sounds a lot like wiggins

Colby Hebert 3 years, 1 month ago

Fire Bill Self, he should have gotten the number 2, 3 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 ranked guys as well.

Colby Hebert 3 years, 1 month ago

To be serious, very excited for next year! Welcome JJ!

Steve Macy 3 years, 1 month ago

I love the fact that some of the "experts" are lauding his aggressiveness. An alpha dog, KU will thrive if this is true. Perry, Xavier, even Wiggs, all seemed to have lacked that mentality. I enjoyed them all, forever Jayhawks, but an alpha dog would be nice.

Mallory Briggans 3 years, 1 month ago

a great player can play his game while taking his opponent out of his....J.J. is a trash talker a alpha dog......thats in his DNA......he is very competitive in everything .......thats what we need....jordon ,bird, gary peyton some of best trash talkers got in your head and hung 50 on you.......dennis rodman was a great rebounder because he got in your head......josh has that ability....i dont see him hanging 50 on anyone.....self wont let that happen......but the mental part of the game he seems to have it.

Tom Jones 3 years, 1 month ago

"Paging Mr. Crain..."

"Mr. Rodney Crain..."

Jay Scott 3 years, 1 month ago

Rodney, Chris Shaw, James Smith and many of the elite Chicken Littles have been gone for months. Jared Reeves has been largely silent and delightfully more rational. Bryce Landon seems to have gain some perspective.

Brett McCabe had a tantrum and left a few months ago but returned with his usual nonsense and absence of self control.

Allin "red" Herring, Kristen "constant downer" Downing and a few others remain.

Winning (and logic) seems to drive the Chicken Littles away.

Jay Scott 3 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for providing such a perfect example of a lack of emotional self control.

Bryce Landon 3 years, 1 month ago

Just because I've changed my mind about Bill Self and "gained perspective" doesn't mean I've gained any respect for you, d-bag. I'm not seeking for or asking for your permission or approval on what I can or can't think, or what I can or can't post on this site.

Al Martin 3 years, 1 month ago

"Baby" Jay commenting on other's self control. Classic.

Jay Scott 3 years, 1 month ago

Al, I got you to make an idiotic post endorsing "And you are still a dbag. EMAW!" and look stupid, all without even trying. Who's in control, baby?

Ben Simonett 3 years, 1 month ago

Alright! We got the wing talent to replace selden!

Who's ready for another exciting year of winning the conference, getting a high seed, and choking in the elite 8!?!

That's been Self M.O. to date and the majority of the fan base seems ok with it. So I done trying to convince people we should expect more

Mike Greer 3 years, 1 month ago

Seriously? ". . . choking in the elite 8 . . . " "That's been Self M.O. to date . . ." Is there another Kansas Jayhawk team I'm not aware of? The Jayhawk team I've been watching for a very long time, has a NC and a Championship Game appearance since the coach Self I know has been there, not to mention the 6 elite 8 appearances. And since when does loosing one game to a team that won the National Championship by 5 points, equate to choking? OU choked. Give 'Nova some credit, they beat what I considered to be the two best teams in the country by a total of 8 points. Did UNC choke as well, they only lost by 2 less points than KU?

As an old Kansan I knew would say, "Some people would fuss if they were hung with a new rope."

Brett McCabe 3 years, 1 month ago

Ben, I don't think that it's unreasonable to hold the expectations that you have for the program. The coach gets $5 million a year, the Taj Mahal was just built for the players, a donor dropped $4 million on two pieces of paper and another donor doubled it for a bunch of sheets of glass to house the paper, plus a bronze statue of the worst coach in KU history.

I ebb and flow on expectations for the program.

KU is located in a laughingstock state that, not only doesn't support the university, but actively tries to undermine it. Our total population in the state is 1/4th that of Houston and we have historically won an NC about once a generation.

I've come to settle on the idea that this program under Brown, Williams and Self has been a major over-achiever. It's clearly superior to any other athletic program in the state and it's one of the top-ten programs in the country. We'll get the NC again under Self, but I'm also proud and happy of where we are right now.

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 1 month ago

Total population of Kansas is half of Houston's population.

Signed,

Person who has lived in Houston for 25 years.

Brett McCabe 3 years, 1 month ago

That was an important clarification. Have you bought your season tickets yet?

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 1 month ago

I will not buy tickets just to not use them and contribute to empty seats. I will donate my money to areas where it can actually be useful.

Jay Scott 3 years, 1 month ago

"KU is located in a laughingstock state that, not only doesn't support the university, but actively tries to undermine it."

What you mean Brett is that your little communist friends look down their noses at anything that isn't crime ridden, unemployment crippled and about to collapse financially, like all the blue states....spare us Brett. I fear that if there's anything you actually know less about than hoops it's politics.

Brett McCabe 3 years, 1 month ago

No discipline. No self control. Typical EMAW.

Jay Scott 3 years, 1 month ago

Wow. That's the best you have? Brett, spare yourself.

Tom Jones 3 years, 1 month ago

Ben's really only second to Rodney in terms of astute recruiting analysis.

Damian Glaze 3 years, 1 month ago

I wish this message board had a silence feature where individuals could select which people's posts don't show up on their screen. There are a handful of the most annoying KU fans within this message board.

Glad to have you as part of the family Josh. Let's go get 13 and 6!

Corey Sparks 3 years, 1 month ago

Ben we were in the championship game 4 years ago.... Do we all wish we had a few more final fours? Of course but what are we gonna do, fire self lmao. 12 Big 12 tittles, national championship, championship game, 6 elite 8's. Things could be worse

Corey Sparks 3 years, 1 month ago

And I wouldn't call losing to the eventual champion by 5 choking.

Stu Libby 3 years, 1 month ago

This kid is an absolute game changer. He may be the best player in the country next season, he's that talented. Things def looking up for KU. Great piece on his decision on SH today, worth the read: http://www.straighthoops.com/josh_jackson_to_kansas.html

Corey Sparks 3 years, 1 month ago

Sorry I'm kinda rambling but really since 2008 we have won a Championship and been to another Championship game. Who's done better since 08? Duke (2 NC). UConn (2 NC but an NIT appearance) Kentucky (1 NC, more final fours, but an NIT appearance also)

That's it! UNC comes close to us, championship and a final four but also an NIT appearance.

Elite 8 losses suck but sometimes you gotta take a step back and look at the big picture.

Buck Bukaty 3 years, 1 month ago

Welcome aboard, Mr. Jackson, to the Jayhawk Show! IMO,

Someday You're Gonna Be A Star! Play it.....

Jared Reeves 3 years, 1 month ago

Fantastic news! I love this kid's passing ability. RCJH!

Chad Smith 3 years, 1 month ago

In a best case scenario(yes I can dream) we have a perimeter trio that is somewhat akin to RussRob, Chalmers, and Rush. Our senior leader and defensive pressure man(Mason/Robinson), our clutch shooter and steal/fastbreak creator(Graham/Chalmers) and our explosive, long and surprisingly good defensive player(jackson/rush). If those three can even perform half as good as the original trio, we have a chance to be very good. We will rotate big men now and have good bench players(Svi and Azubuike/ Aldrich and Colllins) I know it's crazy, but if this can be emulated at all we are in fantastic shape!

RCJH

Barry Weiss 3 years, 1 month ago

so looking at our team next year, the weakness I see is rebounding out of our starting five. let me know if anyone else thinks that could be a problem.