Sunday, May 31, 2015

Former Ole Miss center Dwight Coleby transferring to KU

Big man opts for Jayhawks while on his campus visit

Mississippi center Dwight Coleby shoots during practice for an NCAA college basketball second round game Wednesday, March 18, 2015, in Jacksonville, Fla.

Former Ole Miss center Dwight Coleby, who on May 19 announced plans to leave the SEC school after his sophomore season, has decided to transfer to Kansas University, Coleby said Sunday night.

The 6-foot-9, 240-pounder — he averaged 5.4 points and 4.8 rebounds while logging 16.5 minutes a game in 34 games his sophomore season for 21-13 Mississippi — is the brother of former Wichita State forward Kadeem Coleby.

“I am excited to be a part of something special here at Kansas,” he posted on Twitter in announcing his decision.

He told the Journal-World he committed while on his campus visit and in fact remained in Lawrence on Sunday night.

“I just knew it was the best place for me, the overall history and the history with big guys, how they challenge the bigs here and how they play,” Coleby said.

He did not list any other schools that might have been on his list of possible transfer destinations.

A native of Nassau, Dwight is the youngest member of the Bahamas National team. Since he was not born in the U.S., he is ineligible to play for KU’s World University Games team. Thus he said he’ll be playing for the Bahamas National team this summer.

“I may be here in July for summer school,” Coleby said.

Coleby, who started three games a year ago, hit 67 of 126 shots for 53.2 percent and 51 of 64 free throws for 79.7 percent. He also had 29 blocks.

Coleby scored in double figures six times in 2014-15. He had 11 points, nine rebounds and three blocks on Feb. 2 at Florida. He had 10 points, six rebounds and four blocks vs. the Gators on Jan. 24 at Ole Miss.

He also appeared in five games, averaging 2.6 points and 2.2 rebounds in 6.6 minutes per game as the Bahamas won the gold medal of the Caribbean basketball championship last July.

“It is exciting. It is great,” he said of signing with KU. where he will sit out next season then have two years of eligibility remaining. “The history and tradition ... I have to prove I am worthy of being here.”

More later in the Journal World and on kusports.com.

Comments

Rodney Crain 3 years, 6 months ago

Welcome Dwight.

Tony it looks like he has a nickname already. @daddysmooth22

Severeno Woods 3 years, 6 months ago

The only thing that sucks right now with signing international players right now is they are unable to play during this international play. I would love to Svi, Coleby, and CD get a chance to play together during this trip. RCJH the future looks bright..

Bryce Landon 3 years, 6 months ago

Something else that sucks is that Coleby has to sit out a year. I can't wait till the NCAA changes that rule.

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 6 months ago

That would be the worst thing that ever happened to college basketball. It would be a free agent nightmare every spring/summer as kids tried to move around to create the next "Fab Five".

Joe Ross 3 years, 6 months ago

True. Some of our players wont have the experience. But in terms of what it means to the success of the team, Kansas could hand pick other players to fill the holes. Agree with your comment though.

Titus Canby 3 years, 6 months ago

Coleby looks like a great get for us. That's our last scholarship, right? So we're out the running for the 7' 2" guy from Providence?

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 6 months ago

Not sure. Vick might not reclassify although I believe he will if he can.

Brian Wilson 3 years, 6 months ago

We are probably done, but who knows!. I heard earlier this year that Mickelson was on pace to graduate this past May. If true, he is now working on his masters as a RS Sr. As a grad student he might be able to get tuition through other means and free up a scholarship.

There also may be other players that are well off or could get along with an academic scholarship.

Bill Kackley 3 years, 6 months ago

Bryce they won't and they should not change it.

Bryce Landon 3 years, 6 months ago

What is the NCAA's rationale for making transferring players sit out a year? I've never fully understood it, but I'd like to. If you or another poster can lay that out for me, maybe I'll come around to the NCAA's line of thinking.

Phil Leister 3 years, 6 months ago

Eliminating having to sit a year would turn colleges into free agent markets. I don't like that coaches can bolt with no punishment and the players can't, but not having there be a consequence for the kids would turn the college game into something bad.

Joe Ross 3 years, 6 months ago

Yeah. This one is not difficult to understand. The easiest way to think of why the rule exists is to imagine what would happen if it didnt. Hot potato every year with players and rosters. Shuffling a deck of cards in April of every year. Complete circus chaos.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 6 months ago

Welcome Dwight. Coleby will be a huge get for us and although he must sit out a year, he will bring some continuity to the team as I expect a huge turnover next year.

Cameron Schienebeck 3 years, 6 months ago

Nothing against the guy, but I'm not all that thrilled about getting an undersized center. I guess since he has to sit out and Dialo will be one and done it makes sense.

Adam Tyler 3 years, 6 months ago

If you are not thrilled and can't be convinced this is a solid pickup, that is understandable. Nothing about his previous stats or rankings should make you feel that way.

And if that is how you feel, simply look at this signing as insurance.

We can't field a team next year with only 2 big men (Lucas and Bragg). So with this pickup we give ourselves a bit of insurance in case we miss on some recruits.

Joe Ross 3 years, 6 months ago

Quite right. Quite right.

Lets not also forget that Svi's numbers werent great, either; yet we get excited about him because we know what potential he has and that our coach has an excellent track record of developing players.

Ill say it like this: I cant remember a big man who didnt progress in the system. Dwight wont buck that trend.

Joe Ross 3 years, 6 months ago

Hmm...maybe CJ Giles, but exceptions are rare.

Adam Tyler 3 years, 6 months ago

I completely agree.

FWIW, I am on board with this signing, though the thought of a 7'2 monster in the paint sounded great too!

One of our final remaining needs in recruiting was finding a big to develop and be ready for the start of 16-17, and we satisfied that need with this signing

Brian Holmes 3 years, 6 months ago

Cliff Alexander didn't do all that well. Not all his fault but the expectations were high since he was ranked 3 coming out of high school. Hope Coleby isn't someone that is just going to just warm the bench.

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 6 months ago

I'd assume the 7'2 kid was our top choice so I'm guessing the coaching staff wasn't getting good signs from him so they weren't confident he'd sign with us so we snagged Coleby.

Tom Jones 3 years, 6 months ago

Chukwu's actually visiting this week, so either Vick's staying in 2016 or someone's leaving.

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 6 months ago

Will be interesting to see if that visit is cancelled or not. If it's not, I'd have to assume Mickelson is the odd man out, though I'd hate to see that. I'd like to see him get more minutes this year as I thought he looked good at the end of last season.

Micky Baker 3 years, 6 months ago

We have Bragg, Diallo, and Vick if he changes to 2015. We still have one more scholarship for 2015. Because Garrett was on scholarship last year and Oubre left, that gave us two more to fill because of the department of Tharpe and Frankamp. Am I missing something?

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 6 months ago

Yes, you're missing that Dwight Coleby is transferring to KU. Just because he has to sit out next year doesn't mean he's not on scholarship. That means he counts towards our scholarship count.

Zeik Montellioso 3 years, 6 months ago

I love this: “Other schools were interested in me. Once Kansas called I knew that was it so it didn’t matter the rest of the schools,” he said.

This seems to me like a really nice pickup. He has a mans body (reminiscent of Tarik Black), college experience, and will have a full year of tutelage under Self's system before ever playing his first minute for the crimson a blue.

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 6 months ago

Good explanation, Phil. You are exactly right, so I don't expect the transfer rule to change.

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 6 months ago

One other thing. Can you imagine what they're thinking over in Manhattan? We get to kind of pick and choose who we want while they lose all of their top players and can't get a sniff from some comparable replacements. Reportedly, Vick had them on his list until KU came into the picture.