Friday, May 29, 2015

Ole Miss big man transfer Dwight Coleby to visit KU this weekend

Sophomore center, 6-9, averaged 5.4 points and 4.8 boards last season for Rebels

Dwight Coleby, a 6-foot-9, 240-pound center, who recently announced plans to leave Ole Miss after his sophomore season, will make a recruiting visit to Kansas University this weekend, starting Saturday, sources close to the situation said Friday.

Coleby, who is from Nassau, Bahamas, averaged 5.4 points and 4.8 rebounds a game last season for 21-13 Mississippi. He hit 67 of 126 shots for 53.2 percent and 51 of 64 free throws for 79.7 percent. He also had 29 blocks.

Overall, Coleby played in 34 games, starting three. He averaged 16.5 minutes a game.

Coleby scored in double figures six times a year ago and had one double digit rebounding game. He had 11 points, nine rebounds and three blocks on Feb. 2 at Florida. He had 10 points, six rebounds and four blocks vs. the Gators on Jan. 24 at Ole Miss.

Coleby was an unranked three star (by Rivals.com) his senior year at Piney Woods High in Mississippi. He averaged 20 points, 15 rebounds, five blocks and three assists his senior season and was ranked the No. 2 overall player in Mississippi that year by ESPN. He also lettered in track.

He chose Ole Miss his senior year over Georgia, Memphis, Mississippi State and Southern Mississippi. He would have to sit out next season in accordance with transfer rules and begin playing in games in 2016-17.

KU has one scholarship left to give in recruiting. The Jayhawks also reportedly will soon receive a visit from Providence transfer Paschal Chukwu, a 7-footer also considering Nebraska, Virginia and Iona.

Comments

Michael Bennett 6 years, 3 months ago

I'd rather they go for upside with 7' 2" Chukwu or just save the scholarship. It seems like there are always mediocre 6' 9" bigs available, and we have several on the team already who are probably better than this guy. But it also depends on how 2016 recruiting is shaping up.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 3 months ago

Paschal Chukwu is surely our number one option. At least I hope so.

John Strayer 6 years, 3 months ago

I agree...how many 6'9" guys does KU need? Would really like to see a 7' center after last year.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 3 months ago

Johnathan Williams III cut KU so this kid is replacing him as the fall back for Chukwu.

Height in basketball is as overrated as a 40 time is in football. If a post player can block shots and rebound, I don't care if he's 6-9 or 7-2. Ability is far more important for any position in any sports than measurables are. That has always been the case and always will be the case.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 3 months ago

Funny that you compare two things you can't coach, speed(quickness) and height. I disagree, on both. A 5"8 player can block a shot in the paint, but I would rather have a 6'11 or taller player protecting the rim. Height sure gave us trouble last year on both sides of the ball. Statistically one of our worst teams in the Self era (see Newell chart).

How does a 5 and 5 guy in the soft SEC all of the sudden have good ability? I think that's a reach. This is what happens this late in the recruiting process you start thinking these players are suddenly better than they are.

My preference would be a tall player we can coach to protect the rim and rebound than another 6'8/9 guy getting his shot blocked and getting out rebounded. Not thrilled about either of these guys but at this point who is left?

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 3 months ago

Chukwu is who I want. No, I don't give a damn about his height, I give a damn about his ability which some NBA scouts believe is as high as the lottery. My preference all along of the transfers was Williams because he's proven himself in a major conference as a a guy who can play in the high and low post, can rebound, and can block shots when playing with 2 good knees. Williams also happened to only be 6-9.

There were a bunch of people on here that wanted either Zimmerman or Maker over Diallo because Diallo isn't 7 feet tall even though Diallo is considered the best rim protector in the class by most scouts.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 3 months ago

Aaron..you're a constant source of good info.

Humpy Helsel 6 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like a tricky, long shot (sorry about the pun), but is it possible Coach is using the transfer as bait to get Chuky to make a decision? Surely he knows or has been told we have only one left.

Joseph Bullock 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm one of those who wanted Maker, but unlike others, not over Dialo-I wanted both of them. At this point, I would love to have Chukwu. At 7'2" tall, and a year working with Hudy, and learning our system, in my opinion, he is a must! Does anyone know his 'wing span'?